Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,365 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Best Books You've Read This Year? - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Best Books You've Read This Year? (15061 Views)

Books By Chinua Achebe That You've Read? / Mary Higgins Clark: Books You've Read & What You Think / Talk About Books You've Read, Authors you love e.t.c. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by rusher14: 9:38am On Dec 13, 2013
1. McMafia: Seriously Organized Crime by Misha Glenny

2. Destined to Witness by Hans J Massaquoi

Both books are tangentially different. Yet, each captures man's innate avarice, prejudice and quest for survival.

Each encapsulates how the State can be both a supporter and enemy of itself.

I am glad to say they have independently given me an insight beyond the projection of mainstream media.

I would recommend the first because it mainly dissects oligarchies, cartels (such as what obtains with Oil subsidy and fraud) and Government;

The second speaks of bigotry, mob mentality and fanaticism. But it also goes on to speak about purity of heart and humanity.

There are loads of great books out there but sometimes you stumble upon them by no deliberate means.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by LeStylo: 10:16am On Dec 13, 2013
SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE -Max Siollun
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Quatermaine: 12:14pm On Dec 13, 2013
Wonders of HIS GRACE by David Ibiyeomie.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by iamsegsy(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
purple hibiscus-chimamanda adichie
the concubine
things fall apart
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by avurlerby(m): 2:07pm On Dec 13, 2013
The Lost Symbols - Dan brown
The Da Vinci code - Dan brown
Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
The firm - John Grisham

etc
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by dinoescobar(m): 2:35pm On Dec 13, 2013
50 Shades of Grey - E.L. James
Mind blowing read.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
ndubisik: I've read a lot of books this year, but my top favorites will be Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco, E-millions by Stanley Tang, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki,How I Lost My Virginity by Richard Branson, Famished Road by Ben Okri,Angels and Demons and The Davinci Code,both by Dan Brown, 48 Laws of Power and The Art of Seduction,both by Robert Greene and now I'm reading Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. And I hope to read some more before I go back to school next year. So please suggest some more motivational books. Thanks
-The 7 habits of highly effective people by Steven R Covey,
- *The 25 success principles (how to get from where you are to where you want) by Jack Cranfied
- Create your own future by Brian Tracy.
- See you at the top - Zig ziglar
- The magic of thinking big - David J Scwartz
since you are still an undergraduate get this as well,
- secret of successful students by Fred Orr. Readers are leaders.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
OUTLIERS by Malcom Gladwell

1 Like

Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by ravensckar(m): 7:47pm On Dec 13, 2013
MarvellousGod: it's soo good, you're really missing something. .you won't regret reading it, honestly. .who cares if you read it in primary or nursery school? You think motivational books can ever be outdated or old? Smh. .why do we read books if not to learn and make some impacts in our lives? And you think learning can be late? ?You really need to change your mentality. .
Here U'v finally shown how ignoramus U ar wen it coms to books. If books cnt be outdated,why den do dey do revised edition or literature review? Compare ur response to my comment den u'l knw who needs a Chill pill. Besides,wats ur B.P if I may ask? Cos ur blood dey reali hot gan ni #Lol#
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by blueskies(f): 10:40am On Dec 14, 2013
70 Great Christians-by Geoffrey Hanks
Why you Act the Way you do-by Tim Lahaye
The DIVA Principles-by Michelle Mckinney Hammond
The Power of being a Woman-by Michelle Mckinney Hammond
and most of all The Bible..
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Babe2sure(f): 7:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
The time traveller's wife - Andrew Niffery
A child called 'it' - Dave Pelzer
The book thief - Marthus Zusak

If tomorrow comes,Master of the game,Doomsday conspiracy,Tell me your dreams and Bloodline all by Sidney Sheldon.

A time to kill,The testament and The firm all by John Grisham.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by XKZ(m): 4:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
World War Z
A Song of Ice and Fire 1 - 5 (George R. R. Martin)
Inferno (Dan Brown)
Over the past 3 months (Oct - Dec). I also re-read No Orchids for Miss Blandish (James Hadley Chase)
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Chomzy19(f): 11:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
My best book dis year shld be either 'If tomorrow comes' or d 'other side of midnight' all by Sidney Sheldon

I fell in Luv wiv dis writer dis year, anyone who knows other great works by dis writer shld recommend
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Bravoosii: 8:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Chomzy19: My best book dis year shld be either 'If tomorrow comes' or d 'other side of midnight' all by Sidney Sheldon

I fell in Luv wiv dis writer dis year, anyone who knows other great works by dis writer shld recommend
Try Sands of Time, Tell Me Your Dreams, Nothing Lasts Forever. They are all very good.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Chomzy19(f): 9:42am On Dec 28, 2013
Bravoosii: Try Sands of Time, Tell Me Your Dreams, Nothing Lasts Forever. They are all very good.
Thanks grin I will
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by trixandra(f): 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2013
Triumph of the water lily; cant remember how many times I have read it but I first read it at the age of 10. Twilight at Terracota Indigo by Umari Ayim. Other books I loved reading this year haven't been published eg are Please Break my heart by Tomi Adesina, Tamisho by Umari Ayim, Chocolates and Sushi by Glowingscenes, Ila's burden by Umari Ayim.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by MzExpose: 9:33am On Jan 01, 2014
Yann Patel-Life of Pi
Theodore Boone:The Kid Lawyer-John Grisham
The Racketeer-John Grisham
Green Mile-Stephen King
Pirates Latitude-Michael Crichton
The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown

XKZ: World War Z
A Song of Ice and Fire 1 - 5 (George R. R. Martin)
Inferno (Dan Brown)
Over the past 3 months (Oct - Dec). I also re-read No Orchids for Miss Blandish (James Hadley Chase)

World War Z, Inferno, pls tell me those are e-books and u still have em
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by MzExpose: 9:44am On Jan 01, 2014
trixandra: Triumph of the water lily; cant remember how many times I have read it but I first read it at the age of 10. Twilight at Terracota Indigo by Umari Ayim. Other books I loved reading this year haven't been published eg are Please Break my heart by Tomi Adesina, Tamisho by Umari Ayim, Chocolates and Sushi by Glowingscenes, Ila's burden by Umari Ayim.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by deltamaria101: 1:24pm On Jun 30, 2014
Dear everyone,
We thankyou for your appreciation and your support! Please dont forget to tell your friends about Stella's book and also you can purchase the book easily on Amazon (via Kindle or Paperback)
Regards
Delta Maria Publishing House.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Niftyrules(m): 7:49pm On Mar 17, 2016
One of the best books i've read this year is the Innocent Mage
By Karen Miller

Check out the review below

The Innocent Mage
By Karen Miller

The kingdom of Lur is where to use magic
unlawfully means death, summary death.
Doranen haveruled Lur with magic since
arriving as refugees centuries back. Theirs
was desperate flight to escape the wrath of a
powerful mage who started a bitter war in their homeland, so to keep Lur safe, the
native Olken inhabitants agreed to abandon
their own magic. Magic is now forbidden
them, and any who break this law was
executed. Asher left his coastal village to make his
fortune. Employed in the royal stables, he
soon finds himself befriended by Prince Gar
and given more money and power than
he’d never dreamt possible....
See more www.niftyreview.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by tuzle(m): 12:39am On Mar 18, 2016
john grisham the firm
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by tuzle(m): 12:45am On Mar 18, 2016
MzExpose:
Yann Patel-Life of Pi
Theodore Boone:The Kid Lawyer-John Grisham
The Racketeer-John Grisham
Green Mile-Stephen King
Pirates Latitude-Michael Crichton
The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown

i read inferno and lost symbol last two year. the most amazing thing about dan brown is dat he has only writing 6novel and he his still one of the best seller still date. i have not read the john grisham racketeer but i have read most of his novels. he makes law look so easy and a time to kill is still my best from him
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by tuzle(m): 12:46am On Mar 18, 2016
MzExpose:
Yann Patel-Life of Pi Theodore Boone:The Kid Lawyer-John Grisham The Racketeer-John Grisham Green Mile-Stephen King Pirates Latitude-Michael Crichton The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown

i have the inferno e book, just google it
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by tuzle(m): 12:48am On Mar 18, 2016
avurlerby:
The Lost Symbols - Dan brown The Da Vinci code - Dan brown Digital Fortress - Dan Brown The firm - John Grisham
etc
guy it like we read the same stuff o
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Nobody: 2:41am On Mar 18, 2016
I finally read "A Harvest of Thorns".

It was pretty good.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by Toroze(m): 1:35am On Mar 28, 2016
The Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by XKZ(m): 1:52am On Mar 16, 2017
MzExpose:
Yann Patel-Life of Pi Theodore Boone:The Kid Lawyer-John Grisham The Racketeer-John Grisham Green Mile-Stephen King Pirates Latitude-Michael Crichton The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown

Just saw this and I can't remember if I've replied previously... But, yes, they are e-books and I still have them.
Re: Best Books You've Read This Year? by XKZ(m): 1:54am On Mar 16, 2017
Wool (Omnibus Edition) – Hugh Howey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What's The Best Story You've Ever Read Here On Literature Forum / The Skywalker Series / Death To Baddos. Death To The Bees By Akíntayo Akínjídé

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.