Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Operation No To Househelps 2014 - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Operation No To Househelps 2014 (16305 Views)

Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps / Why Do Some People Maltreat Their Househelps? / Must We Use The Services Of Househelps And Daycare? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Bigsteveg(m): 5:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mrs mansson: Op this is not to spite you but an unbiased answer is needed
If your child steals would you send her away just the way you sent your Help away
No one is perfect,rather than send someone away all the time for their short comings why not profer solution
Its not going to be easy but your decision is ok
Solution my foot....u cant correct someone else child d way u can do to urs....a yoruba adage says ' ba na omo mi ko de inu olomo' meanin help me beat my child, d mama no fit take am

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by roled: 5:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
Having 3 househelps from january to sept just tells so much about u
I wouldnt say you re not a nice person but you sure dnt know how to profer solution to a problem
So for just stealing you sent someone away?
You dont know how to handle a thief without insults and parking them out?
Just go through your tips you wrote down and see how worn out you will be in no time
So when do you and your hubby go out alone without kids
Am not saying you must have an underaged or live in help but watever way try get someone
It could your mum or MIL
Your son staying in a creche till 7pm.does it sound sweet to you?
Allow that boy have a normal childhood of going home when he closes
I can see you trust the people at his creche so well
Try to be more accomodative,tolerate people
So you can live with a stranger without much hassles
Btw how did you know the last help had Eyes for your hubby if your hubby wasnt looking as well
But in all please since you said NO help in 2014 always try not to disturb other peoples help with running errands for you oh
Like going to buy salt or maggi

5 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by kodewrita(m): 5:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
baby.me:

Believe me i know all about that. I treat my girl like a partof my family, neighbours actually think she is my sister. What i dont get is some folks making it look like those that have helps at home are committing a crime.

If you know you cant treat them fine then dont get any, but dont make it look as if u are super special or something

Legally speaking its a crime, making kids (anyone below 18) work for a wage ( which is most likely less than minimum wage) is a crime.

No sentiments involved ( I am not for or against it on this thread. Just want to point out a legal fact).
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 5:11pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bigsteveg:
Solution my foot....u cant correct someone else child d way u can do to urs....a yoruba adage says ' ba na omo mi ko de inu olomo' meanin help me beat my child, d mama no fit take am
So you correct a thief only through beating?
Nigerians dont think out of the box
That is why we are the way we are
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Rawpidgin(m): 5:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
the truth is, if the first house help nor fit stay with u, the second nor fit stay & the third nor fit stay my sister u need to check ur attitude

1 Like

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2013
Rawpidgin: the truth is, if the first house help nor fit stay with u, the second nor fit stay & the third nor fit stay my sister u need to check ur attitude
Thank you my brother
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by itsrandeeboi(m): 5:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
I'm a guy but i've read through each page on this thread. Fascinating stuff when you take aside the the little for/against maid thing that went on before.

Personally, what i've drawn from posts here is that no system really is better than the other. There are people who have maids and it works for them. There are those who don't have maids and they are doing just as fine. Those that believe the other is impossible are just trying to justify their own choice which really isn't necessary.

Personally, I would do without the maid thing (not married), at least after the child is, say, three to five years old. Don't think I don't know how hard things are for a woman running a home because i'm a guy; I have a mother, FYI. Growing up, I lived through both situations; with a maid and without a maid and I feel on an average, having a maid can make the children rather lazy. Not in all situations, I agree, but the sample situations I have gone through turned out this way, including mine (I wouldn't lie). I think I only really began to get the grips of how to do things for myself when I went to boarding school. Not that my mum treated our househelps badly; they went to school, ate like we did, were pretty much like a part of our family to the point that outsiders called them our sisters, but there was always this inclination for my mum to think we were too young to do things even when we were eager to do them (I remember really wanting to wash my clothes and fetch water but mum would refuse, saying I would do a bad job of it).

There are women who, of course, can still get their children to be hardworking and all but as far as these helps are there, there would always be the temptation to ask them to do stuff around the house (afterall, it was what they were brought to do). If there would be any sort of help around the house, it would be professional and non live-in.

As for the tips for ladies, I've taken a few of them too as a guy. At least I have an idea what to help out with and can even make suggestions myself smiley

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Bigsteveg(m): 5:52pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mrs mansson:
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Bigsteveg(m): 5:55pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mrs mansson:
its just an adage, should i start spellin dat out.

Perhaphs, even d holy book supports beating because in their heart has 'madness'....(Am sure u'llstart readin anoda meanin to d madness now)
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
Dreaming is one thing, driving is something else.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 6:03pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bigsteveg:
Id.iot, its just an adage, should i start spellin out wot an adage means to ur small brain.

Perhaphs, even d holy book supports beating because in their heart has 'madness'....(D freakin id.iot wil read anoda meanin to d madness now)
You didnt have to call your mother an id iot just to proove a point BIG BRAIN
You could ve done better
Id iot
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Mrsmansson(f): 6:12pm On Dec 18, 2013
Bigsteveg:
its just an adage, should i start spellin dat out.

Perhaphs, even d holy book supports beating because in their heart has 'madness'....(Am sure u'llstart readin anoda meanin to d madness now)
Should you worrry over this topic even?
Shouldnt you rather worry about ur HND lautecth degree and where you might be posted for Nysc?
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Bigsteveg(m): 6:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mrs mansson:
You didnt have to call your mother an id iot just to proove a point BIG BRAIN
You could ve done better
Id iot
Well, neva knew ure Mrs, tot it was all dese small small girls/boys. Even modified my post b4 i actually saw ur reply.
I tender my apology
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by SisiKill1: 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
mogbomoya: Hello House,

2014 is round the corner, and the purpose of this tread is to share easy tips on how a working mother can survive without a house help in the YEAR 2014. (This is specially for Nigerian Working Mothers/Women. Mothers abroad pls share ur survival tips as u guys are used to DIY.)

Some say house helps are necessary evils. I had my first help in January 2013 and this year alone I have had 3 househelps! (The first was a thief, the second was so lazy & rude, the third had eye for my hubby and eventually got pregnant for our gate man). I got fed up and I have lived without them since September 2013. I am happy I do not have a stranger living with me.

I have a 17 months Son, and I am currently 3 months pregnant. The following tips will help anyone who decides to join me to say no to househelps in 2014.

1. You must get ur spouse involved. This is the most important o.
2. Get a washing machine. This is a saving grace cos my toddler can wear 5 different outfits in a day!
3. Get a deep freezer. This helps me to cook in bulk and store.
4. Ensure you have a generator that can power you freezer. (You do not want ur stored food getting defrosted and going stale cos of the erratic power supply in Nigeria.
5. Shop in bulk and store. In case you don't have time to shop, there are various online grocery shops. I love Madam Sabi. www.madamsabi.com You can also get ur office assistants/cleaners to help with ur shopping. For me, hubby does the toiletries and necessary provisions shopping (He buys from any supermarket, pack & shop/Shoprite/ebe ano), while I do the vegetables and meat.
6. Plan ur meals at the beginning of each week. I have a timetable.
7. If you have a toddler, get a Creche that closes 7pm around ur home, so that in case you are stuck in traffic, ur mind is at ease knowing fully well that ur kid is in safe hands. My baby's creche closes by 7pm, and in case my hubby/myself can't make it before 7pm. They take him home and I pick him from there. They also bath and fed my baby dinner and dress him in his night wear, so I just pick and put him to sleep in his play pen, while I make dinner. I take to bed when he eventually falls asleep in his playpen.
8. If you have older kids, get an after school facility, most creches offer this service. They bath, feed ur kids and help out with their assignment. They even help make ur female kids hair.
9. While doing house chores/cooking, my hubby baby sits our son.
10. Have a night schedule / specific bed time for ur children. My son sleeps by 7.30/8pm. so I have 2 hours to fix a quick dinner, have my bath, have dinner with hubby and watch TV.
11. Go for first service on Sundays. i.e if u are a xtian. I attend 7.30am service. Am back home before 10am, and have time to do loads of stuffs.
12. I use my Sundays to plan out all our cloths and shoes for the week. (Myself & son)
13. Get at least one good wig. For those sundays you are unable or too tired to make it to the salon.
14. Get ur hubby to help paint ur toe nails and do ur pedicure. Not only does it save u time, but also a bonding time for you both.
15. My hubby helps with the ironing and washing the toilets & bath.
16. Do not stack up ur dirty plates & pot. Try as much as possible to wash as u cook.
17. Get nice cartoons and sing along for ur kids. This keeps my son busy in his play pen / high seat while am busy with cooking/house chores. (In case hubby isn't around to baby sit.)
18. You do not have to attend / honor all weekend party invitations! I bet most don't even notice u are absent.
19. Hubby baths our son every morning. While I pack our breakfast/lunch boxes.
20. If u have an uncooperative hubby, pray to God and talk to ur hubby.

House, abeg add more tips.

Nice tips!!!!

I have just one itty bitty concern....you say the creche people take your kids home with them when you are running late. May I ask if these people were friends or relatives? I'm sorry I don't want to be a downer but if they aren't....what is the difference between having someone you are paying to help you at home and these people?

What kind of environment is their home? What type of people does your child interact with around he is with them? How do the get him to their house? Do they take public transport? How careful are they when they are in these transports? Do they walk him home? How are they on the roads? Do they drive? Have you ever been in a car driven by them? Do you know if they are careful drivers? Do they take him along if they have other errands to run? What kind of food do they give him at home? Do you know how it is prepared?!! If God forbid he is falls ill, do you know what kind of meds they give him?

That these people work in a creche does not mean your son is okay with them in their own home. The creche is a controlled environment, there are other people there who can raise alarm is someone is maltreating your son. There are rules and regulations they have to adhere to in the daycare center, the purpose of the daycare center is to provide a SAFE ENVIRONMENT for your son and if they are found wanting, you have the right to take action. A person in their own home is not obligated to take the same measures or act by the same standards.

You are already doing an amazing job juggling work and home but please rethink this having your child go home with his creche people part of it. I know it's God who watches our kids but it doesn't mean we should take chances.

Best of luck!!!

3 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Bigsteveg(m): 6:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
Mrs mansson:
Should you worrry over this topic even?
Shouldnt you rather worry about ur HND lautecth degree and where you might be posted for Nysc?
Well if u wanna know, i finished from osun state polytechnic, cross to lautech 4my B.tech programme which am thru wit...mayb u should read ur post again abt HND lautech....askin wont kill if u dont know
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by funkyjms: 6:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
FFR
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by kate85(f): 7:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
Thank u. I was waiting for someone to say this. I bath my girls twice on school days and once every other day. Any day they mingle with other kids, they have to bath once they get home.
byvan: Children in Nigeria definitely need a bath more than once a day,one in the morning,one after school. Kids smell differently after mingling with others in school, i hate that smell lingering all over my house when they are back from school,so they must hit the shower a second time.

1 Like

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by joinnow: 7:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
stagger: OP,

God bless you for this post. Ever since my dad's office enemies nearly had our entire family poisoned through our house-help when I was a kid, I have had a complete aversion to them for like forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV_5bNFbX0g

If this video does not shock you, then you have not imagined the serious damage that these househelps can do.

this is small compare to what the house help did to my brother small baby used broom shick and pork into the boy eyes evry time water gushing out of baby eye alast she confess that Aunty beat her and she carry out her revenge on the little baby.
I have explain to my wife still yet she insist on having house help. Despite the fact she is full time house wife.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
nice survival tips @poster
but don't agree it will work in all places n for everyone.
For instance,cities wia to even get a good creche is difficult not to talk of gettin one close to ur place of abode.
What of pple dat av to work sumtimes for straight 24hrs n doesn't even knw weekends frm weekdays.
For those of us dat still av to make do with househelps, advice is treat him/her lik ur little sister and u'll av great results
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Coldfeet(f): 8:51pm On Dec 18, 2013
SupermodelVicky: @Op.Nice thread but wait until u hav 3 hyperactive kids or more.Its easier 4u 2plan al these now cos ur kids ar stil smal.

D point is dat combining work&running a home isn't easy.My sister tried it out&sh fell sick(bp;ringin in d ear&so on).Dr's diagnosis afta al series of test was! Stress&Exhaustion.My sister was carryin dredlock cos it wasn't easy 4her 2go 2salons al d tym back then.

Sh had her 3rd baby dis year(1st one was 3;2nd was a year + then)&few wks afta delivery,sh was admitted.Diagnosis: puerperal depression.I can't go in2 details of wot happened or drove 2dat but d stress got 2her.Mumsy had 2get 2 househelps 4her.

If u can get a househelp,its easier.Wen ur kids grow up now.There're tyms u just want 2lock urself in d rm&tak a long siester during wkends;u won't b able 2do dat cos d kid wil b there,disturbin or wantin 2b fed or dis or dat.Wot if ur husbnd is out of town? Or wot if u want 2tak a trip 2d villa?Or u hav conferences or seminar&u hav 2travel wit d kids lik my sister does?Who wil u leav d kid wit in d hotel?

Wen d tym comes;I'l pay pounds&dollars 2hav a househelp plsssss
I concur! As a mother of four can't see how I would have survived without an extra hand.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by PamelaGold1(f): 9:43pm On Dec 18, 2013
[quote author=mogbomoya]

i want to talk about the third one whom u claim has eyes for your husband, i think u have just lied against the poor girl coz she's not here to see what u've written, as far as i am concerned, we don't know her own part of the story, so i put it to u that u have just blatantly lied against the poor girl, just tell us the truth that u have a loose husband who is a type of man that goes on anything on skirt, most of u don't treat these house helps as human beings, in just one year u have had 3 helps! what does that tell of u? did u treat them well? don't u think that u have to give ur best in other to get the best from dem helps too? i think ur new year resolution of being without a helper is just fine instead of enslaving other peoples children all in the name of being ur house helps........
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
@ Pamela Gold easy Abeg
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by gabbytabby: 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2013
There might be good househelps but from my experience most cannot be trusted. Even when they start out good there are the local petty traders who would encourage them to steal from you and hide with them. If you can do without them and use family then please do so.

Its possible to get local washerman or woman who comes in once a week to do your washing or get one who will also do some compound cleaning.

If you have to use them then a mummycam is a must.

Good discussion try to ignore people who are internet trolls looking for someone to fight with.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by PamelaGold1(f): 10:27pm On Dec 18, 2013
Ewuro707: @ Pamela Gold easy Abeg

THE TRUTH HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 18, 2013
Pamela Gold:

THE TRUTH HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW

What's the truth here undecided. Do you stay with her to know she is lying or are you the house girl.

4 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 18, 2013
U guys should stop blabbing
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by PamelaGold1(f): 11:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
Chillisauce:

What's the truth here undecided. Do you stay with her to know she is lying or are you the house girl.

THEN U ARE AN EXAMPLE OF A WICKED PERSON, IF U ARE SEEKING FOR NOTICE, U HAVE GOTTEN IT.
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
You are a lunatic! Deranged fool. You just come online to type shit.

I ask again, are you the housegirl, if you are not just shut that you dry croaked thing you call mouth. F00l.

You even have the audacity to insult her husband. all these small village girls with free mb. No respect again angry
Pamela Gold:

THEN U ARE AN EXAMPLE OF A WICKED PERSON, IF U ARE SEEKING FOR NOTICE, U HAVE GOTTEN IT.

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by mummymax(f): 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2013
I av a maid which am considering taking back,immediately I brought her I enroll her into a school and feed her the same food I give my kids but nothing I do that pleases her.there is a particular woman that sells things in front of my house so any time I send her out she always go to her to tell her things that happen in my home.so later i get to know and I ask to tell me everytin she has being telling her, i was shocked.no matter what you do to them they will always see you as a stranger.

2 Likes

Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
Chilli abeg oh. I didn't read her post initially before I first replied , Pamela you sound very judgemental, you know OP before? undecided I no get power abeg
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by PamelaGold1(f): 11:56pm On Dec 18, 2013
WICKED INSECURE BASTARDS WHO ARE TOO LAZY IN THE HOUSE COMING HERE TO CASTIGATE PEOPLES CHILDREN COZ THEY ARE LESS FORTUNATE, I AM VERY SURE THAT IF GOD GAVE WE HUMANS D RIGHT TO TAKE LIFE AND GIVE IT BACK, WICKED URCHINS LIKE THESE STUPID LAZY WOMEN WONT LET SOME PEOPLE'S CHILDREN LIVE!
Re: Operation No To Househelps 2014 by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 19, 2013
Who died and made 'who' the queen? cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Polygamy A Sin Among Christians Even For Pastors / Generator Fume Kills Health Officer, Wife In Abia / Don't Let Your Daughter Be Too Close To Their Pastor- Journalist Advises Mothers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.