Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc (63794 Views)

Opinion: 8 Reasons Why HND Is Superior To Bsc / Hnd Is Now B.tech Degree In All Nigerian Polytechnics / Hnd Is Better Than Bsc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 12:47am On Dec 31, 2013
eddieo:
And i still ask '' Have you heard of Post-Doctorate''?

AND I'M ASKING YOU TOO
HAVE YOU HEARD OF NPA? NATIONAL POST DOCTORAL ASSOCIATION, THE MEMBERS THAT SET IT UP? BEFORE USA ATTEMPT TO INCORPORATE IT INTO THE ACADEMIC SYSTEM, YOU NEED TO CONDUCT EXTENSIVE RESEARCH ON IT EVOLUTION. THANKS.

AND SHOULD IN CASE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN CONTACTING NPA

National Postdoctoral Association * 1200 New
York Avenue, NW, Suite 610 * Washington, DC
Phone: 202.326.6424 * Fax: 202.371.9849

SO THE FACT THAT I SAID PHD IS ALL YOU NEED, DOES NOT MEAN I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WROTE TEACH IN THE UNIVERSITY AND CHOP YOUR PROF, STOP WORRYING YOURSELF, I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 12:50am On Dec 31, 2013
Can't sleep
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 1:00am On Dec 31, 2013
stupor:

One thing have noticed here on Nairaland is that the MODs favor some particular topics even when it lacks crystal clear truth and justice !

Every year they try to reproduce what someone has said before because they feel uncomfortable and they want cheap and lame advantage.

I will not allow someone else's ignorance and uncredible education with regards to colleagues who attended a Nigerian Uni. Education to make bleak the future of others who have earned for themselves a proud and well deserved qualification.

University education is no way superior to Polytechnic education,not even in any way !

Its just a simple example of pitied advantage of University education who are lucky enough to have been in positions and offices of power that made it easier for them to take decisions for partially for themselves only otherwise every polytechnic graduate would have done the same.

A university education is a favored opportunity that Nigerians have turned to make look like fashion and aesthetics whereas a majority that holds it move around with it full of void,originality,techicality,Objectivity,professionalism which the Polytech.has in all its ramifications.

A Univeristy education is new while the Polytechnic is the origin and bedrock which seals the fact that most Nigerians don't know,A polytech. has in its coffers all that it takes to be a professional and nothing but the best in your given field.

A University is an extension of the solid structure and foundatoion a Polytech.is found so that it can include sports,fashion and extra-curricular activities whereas the major learning,development,research,inventions,theories,proofs are simply alienated to Polytechnic,more reasOn a Polytech will floor any University grad in major Post-grad and Professional exams.

University education is for the fashion and play while a polytechnic cannot jeopardize that because the whole world depends on their theory to work includin Uni.so while a Uni student is palying VOlleyball r learning hw to swim in the college for competitions,a Polytech undergrad is nerdily locked up by their supervisors at their different labs working because the Polytech.total land mass might not even have the space for a pool talkless of a Hockey court as no much time can be devoted for. Minor things as that ! Getting your theories right are important to Polytech undergrads than sports or a swimimg pool !

How many times did you get to hear or see Albeit Eienstein found playing ? He's always locked in the lab doing new things,and that is the state of mind of an average Polytech.

The best teaching place for developing theory and assessing practical is having a quality HND certificate and not even a business school or Univsersity education in Nigeria can contest that.

University education in Nigeria is a jealous group of people with little or no knowlege when it comes to higher education and always envious when they find themselves in the midst of a Nigerian Polytechnic graduate.

Quoting your words::::::::n essence, some of the lecturers in our polytechnics lack the academic and technical wherewithal to baptize their students with the required skill and knowledge. But the problem goes beyond that!

But kindly take note of these findings:

A Polytechnic Lecturer will teach and lecture a PHD University lecturer the basics and complex areas of his or her study without reading it from the book including scientific and engineering theories.

A Polytechic graduate in accounting with HND will teach all the PHD holders including professors things they have never had of in their career history.

An OND Polytechnic holder,will comfotably teach a doctorate all he needs to know about accounting and same goes to Engineering Polytechic graduates.

While a University is offering 5 courses in final year, a Polytechnic student is managing nothing less. Than 10 complex papers incuding cumbersome Case theories to hack.

@ OP you are just one of the several bunch of Jealous University holders who take envy at Polytechnic holders or try make them look less superior but you are totally mistaken and lack the truth.

Ask for ICAN,CITN,ACCA and any other Finance related Professional exams for their Log pass history and ICAN will be proud enough to tell you that the best minds ever in the history of their exams have always being a Polytechnic graduate !

It is just your shallow sightedness and the overly congested craving that government has for Universoity as regards its funding that few people like you habour in your minds that makes you think because of the land mass,few tall structures,thearter halls Owned by law and the revered course like Medicine that makes you think you can match up with a Poly,but get it wrong completely.

After medicine and law,no other course ! I repeat no other course taken in a University on an average can outmatch a polytech grad! I have done my own several research !

Finally,let me let you know that a PHD holder cannot take the same level with an HND Accounting grad in ICAN,the HND Accounting will be nothing less than 2 steps above Your University ProF.

Or is a. Polytechnic grad that made the rule !

I will simply just want you to keep your University Certificate where ever you hid it and let it be known that the best genuises when it comes to Higher education hails from the polytechnic and stop creating unnecessary rivalry that is filled up with wrong emotional jealousies over the excellently earned skills of a polytech. Grad.

Stop discriminating and if you must get your facts clear,visit Professional bodies and foreign institutions or take a polytech. Exam first to clear your doubts befOre trying to blemish the future of well meaning graduates that have attended and earned a quality Polytech.Education.

Let's talk about something else,like how you and I as youths can affect this badly soiled country and not all these irrelevant arguments that yields no profit.

Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire because he worked on a social networking theory and i bet you he can employ you now same goes to Bill Gates,a college drop out.

Let the works of your hand speak for you and not some cheaply acquired certificates that everyone now has.

(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 6 Likes

Your post is just too long and quite tiresome. But you have this strong passion for what you believe in. That's good I'd advice you turn that passion into actions. If more HND holders worked their ways to the zenith of the corporate pyramid, then they should be able to end this prejudice. Because I think the only reason we have it like this is because employers of labour are B.sc holders. So stop the whining and go all out.
If I was in the position to employ, HND or B.sc would not even come up, its what you can deliver. But sorry I have not assumed such position and power. Its up to you guys.
May God reward all your efforts and labour.

2 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 1:07am On Dec 31, 2013
kennytidistar:

Gbenga, common drop dat shepe and open your eyes, read between the line, my sentence were very simple and unambiguous. I mean there is no other academic degree higher than PhD. * earn. not inform of wages or salary. omashe o, aranmo ni ile eko olonjo palongo ati alanta. chinco age. or do you think professorship is a qualifications? it's a chieftain academic title, I can defend that anywhere in the world, if you have Prof in your school ask him or her. or Gbenga you don't know the meaning of a Prof? the WAY you attached special season to it amuse me.

It not what professorship means that is the real issue here, its what it takes to be honoured as a professor. You are making it sound as if its a position you just get because you have Ph.D. Do u know the journals, seminars and researches that you would have to do?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 1:10am On Dec 31, 2013
Begining to see destini as a jambite..wat have d so called engineers in Nigeria contributed to our technological advances ..i dnt care if u have bsc ,hnd,ond or even waec,wat matters is wah u have to offer...if ure an engineer or technologists just be good in ur field.....but if u be elect engnrn graduate from uni and u cant build circuits claiming ure only theoreticaly inclined den dats just wrong..Nd2 elect elect dept PETROLEUM TRAINING INSTITUTE EFFURUN DELTA STATE..PROUD OF MI SCHOOL
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 1:17am On Dec 31, 2013
rckdude:

It not what professorship means that is the real issue here, its what it takes to be honoured as a professor. You are making it sound as if its a position you just get because you have Ph.D. Do u know the journals, seminars and researches that you would have to do?

common, that's not an issue, as a teacher do you intend to pick the chalk drop it and go to bed? No, you wouldn't want to do that, you much conduct research ni if you want the title, those are the penalties you pay in form of work, or do you think oba of Lagos will give you title without adding value to his kingdom and environment? but my bone of contention is, the only mandatory requirements for that position is PhD after that na you sabi, if you like go teach to get Prof if you like go in to practice Which ever.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 1:25am On Dec 31, 2013
Gnosticmovement: Begining to see destini as a jambite..wat have d so called engineers in Nigeria contributed to our technological advances ..i dnt care if u have bsc ,hnd,ond or even waec,wat matters is wah u have to offer...if ure an engineer or technologists just be good in ur field.....but if u be elect engnrn graduate from uni and u cant build circuits claiming ure only theoreticaly inclined den dats just wrong..Nd2 elect elect dept PETROLEUM TRAINING INSTITUTE EFFURUN DELTA STATE..PROUD OF MI SCHOOL

If i were a jambite, don't you think I'm too good grin
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 1:26am On Dec 31, 2013
@kennytidistar
I used to think just like you until i met one of my lecturers; an Associate prof, she had no Ph.D just her B.sc first class and M.sc. She would probably had been promoted if not that she left for a public engagement.
So I still maintained that it has to do with your journals, seminars and researches.
We have this prof in finance dpt in unilag, he'd been a Dr since 1993 or there about, guess what? He just became a professor in 2011!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by kennytidistar(m): 1:35am On Dec 31, 2013
rckdude: @kennytidistar
I used to think just like you until i met one of my lecturer; an Associate prof, she had no Ph.D by the way.
So I still maintained that it has to do with your journals, seminars and researches.
We have this prof in finance dpt in unilag, he'd been a Dr since 1993 or there about, guess what? He just became a professor in 2011!

and do not forget that in NIGERIA politics dictate most of our destiny , you may be shock that those who are better hardworking than that, may never get that Prof or even be frustrated out of the system. my program is a one year intense and tedious masters program, if I'm not taking it simple or easy it may affect my whole system, that is why I'm saying it as if it's nothing. that is the spirit.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 1:38am On Dec 31, 2013
destino24:

If i were a jambite, don't you think I'm too good grin
yep...buh enuff o..make Una go contribute to our tech sector ..
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by destino24(m): 1:40am On Dec 31, 2013
Gnosticmovement: yep...buh enuff o..make Una go contribute to our tech sector ..

With all pleasure, sir
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by peter4d2(m): 1:52am On Dec 31, 2013
I was startin 2 hate d militant dat attacked destino24 buff nau I'v likd him no homo pls but criously hvin a degree is worthwhile @ d long run cos d sch I graduatd 4rm most of u don't wanna c my exam papers.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by rckdude: 1:53am On Dec 31, 2013
kennytidistar:

and do not forget that in NIGERIA politics dictate most of our destiny , you may be shock that those who are better hardworking than that, may never get that Prof or even be frustrated out of the system. my program is a one year intense and tedious masters program, if I'm not taking it simple or easy it may affect my whole system, that is why I'm saying it as if it's nothing. that is the spirit.

Quite true,with politics, you might deserve it and still not get it I agree with u on that. But in my school, politics or no politics if don't deserve it you won't get it. You won't see a mediocre unilag professor. At least I haven't seen nor heard of one. And they worked hard for it.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by yomiousyolola: 2:17am On Dec 31, 2013
Hnd,B.sc,whatever it all falls back on you;what have you got to do with it?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 2:23am On Dec 31, 2013
peter4d2: I was startin 2 hate d militant dat attacked destino24 buff nau I'v likd him no homo pls but criously hvin a degree is worthwhile @ d long run cos d sch I graduatd 4rm most of u don't wanna c my exam papers.
who's d millitant pls..
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Gnosticmovement(m): 2:27am On Dec 31, 2013
Circuit diagram for an E.M.P needed asap..wanna send naija bck to d stone ages...na lack of sleep n boredom dey cause all dis talk so..yawwnns
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by GamaG(m): 3:34am On Dec 31, 2013
dejt4u: Op, dnt deceive urself..polythechnics nd universities curriculum in Nigeria is very different and dat is what is makin it unequivalent..
What shld be done nw is to upgrade ur curriculum in polytechnics
wht are those things that makes them not 2be the same? I hate pple taiking as if they were not graduates or maybe u are still an undergraduate n didnt knw anything abt polytechnics. Let me give u one simple advice, if u wnt to argue, do it with facts n evidence dont jus blow out anything u like from ur mouth.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by zebra(m): 3:41am On Dec 31, 2013
I think without an empirical evidence we will never get to the end of this. There is a difference btw what the poly and varsity learn or teach, agreed. But is this difference significant? That should be the basis. Now let's do a statistical test to establish if the difference btw HND and Bsc is significant enough to say that the HND is not up to the level of a Bsc. Let someone list all the courses from year 1 in say mech engineering to year 5 and all courses from ND1 to HND2 in mech eng'ng also. Let's also do same for accounting, then statistics. Atleast all these courses are offered in both poly and uni in nigeria. We can compare and later test for significance. How do u guys see it?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by GamaG(m): 4:11am On Dec 31, 2013
Olugbenger: I can only pity HND folks here. Most of them are chaps the univeristies reject and they knew what they got into exactly. So why all these complaints now? What is WES? What is the Op saying?

The employers decide the judgement and we all know what it is.
u ar a big fool n not worthy 2be called a graduate, bcause a learned person will not talk like u. Those ppl that did d review are u better than them? My friend! bring an average HND and Bsc holder now n u will see d difference between them. Am talking out of experience, where i was working, an OND holderaccounting got d job during an interview when Bsc holders are there. Abeg make i hear word with dis Bsc holders dat dont evn knw anything. A brilliant Bsc holder will not even make diz kind of statments because he/she knws what is involve.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by guiddoti: 4:42am On Dec 31, 2013
Ironically multinationals, particularly, oil companies regard engineers as technicians. The truth of the matter is Nigerian universities have lost its glory long ago. This was in a case with foreign company like fmcti, they don't employ university graduate as an engineer, maybe the job is for diploma/ technical holder
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by guiddoti: 5:07am On Dec 31, 2013
walezy14:
This very point you raised made nigeria university curriculum obsolete. Try to check UK Universities curriculum, you will observe that they focus majorly on courses relevant to your field, but in Nigeria reverse is the case.
Secondly, in UK, You can proceed to Master level with hnd. But in Nigeria, the education policy formulators are university graduates that kicks against this(stigma) and that is the more reasons Nigeria universities standard in our land is nothing to write home about.
In Uk, with your hnd certificate, you can proceed to the final part of bsc or ba. But in Nigeria, universities will never mention hnd in direct entry programme(stigma). They want hnd to start from year two.
Hnd graduate excels in professional exam than bsc.
At pgd level, there is nothing new in the programme that has not been taught at hnd level. Lets stop this stigma so that Graduate of polytechnic can as well contribute meanifully to the development of this nation
How true can that be? An Hnd proceeding for masters in the Uk
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Owosoup: 5:11am On Dec 31, 2013
Why wasting time on this topic. My simple questions are :
1) what are the entry requirements for poly and university.
2)what are the duration of these programmes.
3)where do the best of students proceed to after secondary education . And finally
4) compare the quality of products from the two schools.
The answer to which is superior between HND And BSC/ BA will be resolved after this questions have been addressed.

1 Like

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by emmatok(m): 5:20am On Dec 31, 2013
guiddoti: Ironically multinationals, particularly, oil companies regard engineers as technicians. The truth of the matter is Nigerian universities have lost its glory long ago. This was in a case with foreign company like fmcti, they don't employ university graduate as an engineer, maybe the job is for diploma/ technical holder

Only in Nigeria do we underate technicians.

In developed climes Technician can be a Bsc, Msc holder.
I have seen NASA advert damanding for a technician with MASTERS.
But some Nigerians see technicians as Uni dropouts.

3 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by anienge001: 5:45am On Dec 31, 2013
The arrogance and narrow-mindedness displayed on this thread is appalling. We should all be thinking about the usefulness of the knowledge acquired from each institution(Poly/Uni) and not which is superior. What is the usefulness of a BSc graduate who can't prepare simple chemical solutions for SS3 practicals, but depends on an OND holder? What use is B.Eng when the holder can't interpret a technical drawing but depends on the expertise of a draughtsman? Aside the pride we all carry and the artificial disparity created by myopic politicians, how does the degree we hold(HND or BSc) contribute to our national growth?
Any country the desire sincere economic growth should focus on those who can build and not those who sit in their offices with over blown egos.

NB: I came from both worlds, I can tell you all, this is a useless debate and it has been over flocked here.

5 Likes

Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Ijayzbrainz: 5:45am On Dec 31, 2013
If u ask most of the students in Polytechnics today where they would love to be.They will tell u its University.This is the analysis of those you find in poly today.
__60% of Poly students are there because they've tried University so many times but it just couldn't work out for them.in other words,they got no choice.so instead of staying@home and cresting more JAMB to hit a higher score.They tend to use to use the score which could be accepted in poly to go in.
_30% are there due to high cost of many Nigerian universities.so they tend to go to poly because that is what they can really afford.
_%10 are engage in part time learning as most Nigeria ploytechnics tend to run part_time learning than Nigeria universtities
And if I may ask,Why is JAMB Score for entry into Universities and Polytechnics in Nigeira different?
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by vikkyboboski(m): 6:35am On Dec 31, 2013
nawa o, sincerely telling, am totally sick with d way some peeps reasons . wat Eva institution one pass tru shouldn't be d problem! d question here is not How far but rather How well, as for me, Nigeria education setup should be rebuilt cus We got Nothing to boost of! but mind u, in Nigeria labour.market, graduate from polytechnics still leads d way to d best of my knowledge. wat I believe is dat both side r serving dere purpose but Dere is still lip hole! stop all dis! education is How well not How far! be it uni or poly! come out fulfilled!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by qudirat: 6:36am On Dec 31, 2013
First of all, make we all reason this thing well, №ω in Nigerian system of education, HNd is never the same as Bsc. Even in the Britain Aπϑ US. №ω, in Nigeria to mention but few Aπϑ ₪☺τ̅ forgeting the fact that we all are Nigerians Aπϑ we must follow the educational system of this Nation,why do u think a HNd holder when he or she wants to cross to University he or she will start from 200 level or 300 level (if he graduates with distinction)? Aπϑ even if he wants to proceed Aπϑ have his or her masters degree he or she has to do a postgradute diploma first.(It also applies to those that graduated with 3rd class or pass as d case may be in a university). So, they can never (with emphasis) be the same. Make we move on jhoor. Na Naija we dey, make una no go dey use one yeye (WASTE abi na WES) take dey judge us Fø̲̣̣я̅ Naija here.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Herbarium: 6:37am On Dec 31, 2013
Ijayzbrainz: If u ask most of the students in Polytechnics today where they would love to be.They will tell u its University.This is the analysis of those you find in poly today.
__60% of Poly students are there because they've tried University so many times but it just couldn't work out for them.in other words,they got no choice.so instead of staying@home and cresting more JAMB to hit a higher score.They tend to use to use the score which could be accepted in poly to go in.
_30% are there due to high cost of many Nigerian universities.so they tend to go to poly because that is what they can really afford.
_%10 are engage in part time learning as most Nigeria ploytechnics tend to run part_time learning than Nigeria universtities
And if I may ask,Why is JAMB Score for entry into Universities and Polytechnics in Nigeira different?
Oga,am sorry 2 say diz,but u m*umu gan o.Ur post is gibberish!
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by Herbarium: 6:39am On Dec 31, 2013
I tell u,university education is just too over-rated. . .
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by desh(m): 7:03am On Dec 31, 2013
Let me add 2d fun by saying, compare d leadership of an hnd grad OBJ n our dearest Prof. GEJ. Sincerely btw d 2 whose ideology handled d nation best n who practicalized privatization with recorded success? To me, it doesn't mata wot u carry for paper...na wetin u get for HEAD n can deliver. We just have some overpriced education a times.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by AmucheJane(f): 7:04am On Dec 31, 2013
If you check very well, you will see that just few of you guys are arguing about this issue and some of you are still student, wetin una know self. Some of una mate don get 2 or 3 degree, that person with HND can still get that Bsc if he/her likes, education dey finish? No, is only when you get tired of schooling or no money for you to read more. Uni or poly will not stop you from been whom you will be in life. Somepeople just dey make noise here, abeg make I hear word o.
Re: Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc by timsucces(m): 7:20am On Dec 31, 2013
dejt4u: Help me tell this guy ooo. What are dey doin in polytechnics... Jst practicals..na only practical we go eat?? Abeg, 4get dis shit nd face d reality of life.. No wonder my parents hate polytechnic...
Na naija we dey ooo.. Polytechnic ko monotechnic ni
..dude dat ur parents hate poly dsnt make it nt to b standard,as concernz pratical,d last time i checkd,hvin a field knowledg of ur job z a major criteria 4 employment..xo its time u nd ur backwarded parents grow up nd face d 21st century world

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Jamb Direct Entry 2012/2013 / Girl Who Got 9As In Her SSCE In Enugu Gets Scholarship / Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.