Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" (51332 Views)

Of What Use Was Noah's Flood If It Couldn't Stop Wickedness? / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by khattab02: 5:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
oluafolabi: This question is putting the bible in a very tight corner though. sad sad

1) If there is no explanation for how thousands of animal species including microorganisms stayed aboard that small ship then it could imply that the story was just a jewish myth.

2) If the story is a Jewish myth, then it implies that the bible does not contain 100% true stories.

3) If a myth such as this is in the bible, how can we prove the efficacy of other stories?

4) Did the good 'creator' create another set of animals after the flood?

I'm suspicious though.

Why would OlaAdegbu want to put himself and the 'holy book' in a tight corner like this?

undecided undecided
Lol! He thinks he is a super genius. Lol
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 6:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
Ranchhoddas: so you support evolution when it suits you.FYI,speciation takes hundreds of thousands to millions of years,your happened in less than 6,000yrs.Please also explain creation/evolution/speciation of viruses and bacteria and other micro-organisms in relation to Noah's ark when you are responding to this post.
if you'd calm down and think, you'd realize that viruses and bacteria change much faster than more complex organisms, in minutes, they reproduce, in days, they adapt. Go and do some reading.
And when those animals got off that ark, they met a completely different earth awaiting them, a scarred earth with a diffferent climate. The environmental pressures will cause them to adapt even faster, or die. Evolution does not follow a specific time graph. It simply depends on the degree of adaptation.

And evolution in its basic sense is simply change. The adaptation of organisms to their environments, the creation of new varieties of the same kind of organism as it adapts locally to a particular environment. I believe in that kind of change, as it happens around us, but I don't believe in change of kind. Darwinian change of kind is a foolish speculation, a very foolish one.

phuck_NL:
A lot of people do not dispute GOD. Most just BELIEVE that the PEOPLE who wrote RELIGIOUS books LIED/Spiced up things to get people to believe them. The flood probably happened and the ark was probably built. It was probably localized to a certain region and he probably saved a handful of domesticated animals which the writers than exaggerated to include the entire world.
With regards, to carbon dating, trust me its at least 95% accurate. You only need a 50% accuracy to realize that the dates stated by those who wrote religious books is wrong. They simply wrote what they taught was right at the time without evidence to back it up. Same thing with the RAINBOW story. Most of these things were basically what they taught at the time and they then coined it into religious books. I believe in my GOD but I do not believe the lies in all religious books. I believe if I am good to myself and my fellow man I will make heaven regardless of what anyone thinks. I do not have to pray through anyone and I do not have to go to any institution or read any book to know that being GOOD is the right thing.
sorry, but simply shut up and show us how the event of a global flood is a lie. Did you open the links and read them? You've made no single argument so far.

And carbon dating is very inaccurate and prone to contamination and does not even consider the earth's rapidly decaying magnetic field as I said.

So show us the lies in this recorded event or be quiet sir. Mere accusations and shouting "it's a lie" will only fool grossly gullible people.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 7:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
Joshthefirst: if you'd calm down and think, you'd realize that viruses and bacteria change much faster than more complex organisms, in minutes, they reproduce, in days, they adapt. Go and do some reading.
And when those animals got off that ark, they met a completely different earth awaiting them, a scarred earth with a diffferent climate. The environmental pressures will cause them to adapt even faster, or die. Evolution does not follow a specific time graph. It simply depends on the degree of adaptation.

And evolution in its basic sense is simply change. The adaptation of organisms to their environments, the creation of new varieties of the same kind of organism as it adapts locally to a particular environment. I believe in that kind of change, as it happens around us, but I don't believe in change of kind. Darwinian change of kind is a foolish speculation, a very foolish one.

sorry, but simply shut up and show us how the event of a global flood is a lie. Did you open the links and read them? You've made no single argument so far.

And carbon dating is very inaccurate and prone to contamination and does not even consider the earth's rapidly decaying magnetic field as I said.

So show us the lies in this recorded event or be quiet sir. Mere accusations and shouting "it's a lie" will only fool grossly gullible people.

Thank you.

I will not downgrade myself by throwing abuses like you. I am used to it. Rather than explain things, people like you resort to abuses because you have no FACT and expect people to just BELIEVE you.
Everything you stated up there is just YOUR OPINION. NO IOTA of truth or fact in there at all. IF this is what happened, why isn't it clearly stated in the religious books. Why do you have to go through parables and clues that are left for different interpretations? I maintain my stance that they are all LIES because they have been disproven. Why did you ignore the RAINBOW comment? Clear to elaborate on that? For anyone to think an ARK stored ALL those animals is just LUDACRIS. Wake up

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 7:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
It is funny that the same people that brought religion and the religious books to you have moved on and realized that a lot of lies were told. Yet here you are believing fallacies. When are we going to stop the SLAVE MENTALITY.
You throw away everything our African ancestors believed in and call them lies and chose to believe the fallacies brought to you by WESTERN colonizers. Did it ever occur to you that if not for Slavery and Colonization, you would never have found out about this ark story that you hold so dear. Are you telling me now that GOD favours the west? That MAN is not equal?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 7:22pm On Jan 02, 2014
You expect people to sit down here and believe STORIES/MYTHS/LIES told by ancient people that were anything but half as smart as modern day men.
Most of these things you hold dearly were simply tales. During that time, MAN had a very "timid" "non developed" brain/thinking faculty. They interpreted everything in the best way they could. This is the reason why even in the villages in Africa, you still have people thinking when it is raining and the sun is out, a lion just gave birth - WE KNOW BETTER NOW.
Same reason they thought the earth was flat. Same reason they thought somebody lived in a "fishs" belly for days, same reason they thought a rainbow was a sign that a flood will never occur again, yet we have tsunamis and katrinas everyday. Same reason they thought the heavens (clouds) were connected to the earth and that MAN built structures to reach the clouds. I mean lets get serious. We are now more developed and have smarter brains. To believe all these fallacies would simply mean you still have the brain that existed thousands of years ago which is a damn shame

9 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 7:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
@Josh @olaadegbu

I'm yet to see an attempt to refute mazaje's view of the improbability of a global flood about 6000 years ago due to the Uninterrupted history of the Chinese,aztecs and other tribes.Did the flood miss the people in those lands or the waters couldn't destroy their records. Another thing plaguing my mind is how one family (a middle eastern one) was able to re-populate the world to about 7 billion in such a short time and how they managed to give birth to other races such as negroes.

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 8:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
phuck_NL:

I will not downgrade myself by throwing abuses like you. I am used to it. Rather than explain things, people like you resort to abuses because you have no FACT and expect people to just BELIEVE you.
Everything you stated up there is just YOUR OPINION. NO IOTA of truth or fact in there at all. IF this is what happened, why isn't it clearly stated in the religious books. Why do you have to go through parables and clues that are left for different interpretations? I maintain my stance that they are all LIES because they have been disproven. Why did you ignore the RAINBOW comment? Clear to elaborate on that? For anyone to think an ARK stored ALL those animals is just LUDACRIS. Wake up
how have I abused you? I simply asked you to show how this event is an impossibility and a lie and you resort to this. This thread is not about rainbows, its us discussing the possibility of a great global flood happening. I have showed you that only specific pairs of each kind of animals, not species, were chosen, and I have shown you evidence and even posted further links for you to read up on the subject, and yet you still claim it is a lie without caring to show us how.

And how can you claim religious books as leverage when you have clearly stated that things written in religious books are a lie?

You seem to be speaking from misplaced grudge. Drop your grudges and examine evidence and dsicuss these issues instead of blindly claiming it is a lie without caring to show us how and when they have been disproved.

phuck_NL: It is funny that the same people that brought religion and the religious books to you have moved on and realized that a lot of lies were told. Yet here you are believing fallacies. When are we going to stop the SLAVE MENTALITY.
You throw away everything our African ancestors believed in and call them lies and chose to believe the fallacies brought to you by WESTERN colonizers. Did it ever occur to you that if not for Slavery and Colonization, you would never have found out about this ark story that you hold so dear. Are you telling me now that GOD favours the west? That MAN is not equal?

phuck_NL: You expect people to sit down here and believe STORIES/MYTHS/LIES told by ancient people that were anything but half as smart as modern day men.
Most of these things you hold dearly were simply tales. During that time, MAN had a very "timid" "non developed" brain/thinking faculty. They interpreted everything in the best way they could. This is the reason why even in the villages in Africa, you still have people thinking when it is raining and the sun is out, a lion just gave birth - WE KNOW BETTER NOW.
Same reason they thought the earth was flat. Same reason they thought somebody lived in a "fishs" belly for days, same reason they thought a rainbow was a sign that a flood will never occur again, yet we have tsunamis and katrinas everyday. Same reason they thought the heavens (clouds) were connected to the earth and that MAN built structures to reach the clouds. I mean lets get serious. We are now more developed and have smarter brains. To believe all these fallacies would simply mean you still have the brain that existed thousands of years ago which is a damn shame
what is this? What has this got to do with the op? Stop trying to change topic and examine evidence. How can you claim in one post that we have forsaken our ancestors thinking and claim in another post that the writers of the bible were not as smart as we are today? Are our ancestors smart then?

And the bible claims that there will never be a global flood event, not a local flood event, and it will interest you to know that it was missionaries who brought the gospel, not colonizers.

And theonly reason we have advancement today is because man is able to share knowledge and build on research. Man has always been smart.

But all this is besides the point. Adress the op objectively by asking questions and stop derailing and lashing , or else no one will take you seriously.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2014
peterphd: @Josh @olaadegbu

I'm yet to see an attempt to refute mazaje's view of the improbability of a global flood about 6000 years ago due to the Uninterrupted history of the Chinese,aztecs and other tribes.Did the flood miss the people in those lands or the waters couldn't destroy their records.
nope, the flood got them all. It is recorded to be global, and the flood actually happened about 4500 years ago.

peterphd: Another thing plaguing my mind is how one family (a middle eastern one) was able to re-populate the world to about 7 billion in such a short time and how they managed to give birth to other races such as negroes.
let's tackle this mathematically then, no need to make assumptions. Do the maths, and you'll see that its actually even more evidence of the fact that the global flood happened about 4,500 years ago. You will have about 6.8 billion people if you do the maths with a generation period of 150 h is very conservative. Human population doubles every 50 years about, inspite of natural disasters and deaths)

If you do similar geometric mathematical reconciliation with even an age like 50,000 years, with only a single set of parents and a conservative generation period, we will have an impossible number of human beings (more than 90 zeros at the back of the 1).

So doing the maths well will even prove that the earth is younger than we think, and that a global disaster must have happened 4500 years ago that reduced humanity to a population of 8.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 8:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
Joshthefirst: nope. Do you know how many species arise everyday? I disagree. And even if it was so, remember that the bibilical records specifically stated he take a pair(or seven pairs) of each kind of animal, and not each species. We can rightly conclude that the terrestrials that survived the flood in the ark gave rise to the different species we see today.

The kind of species we are talking about do not evolve in 6000 years. . .What do you mean by give rise to new species?. . .Are you now in support of evolution or what?. . .It is very obvious that the animals in the ark assuming the story is true could not give rise to all the animals we see today unless true evolution. . .

I meant the massive deposits of the flood raised landscapes and buried populations of organisms alive. raised landscape, and I disagree. Scientific dating is very fallible and prone to the bias of the gradual earth scientists, and contamination and even does not consider the rapid decay of the earths magnetic field. There is massive evidence all around us for a global flood. From scarred landscape only possible as a result of very massive corrosive effect of extremely fast moving water, to the millions and millions of fossils we see, to the fact that there are fossils of both terrestrials and aquatic animals rapidly buried alive together(what would a possum be doing fossilized beside a whale?, some animals buried so quickly in sand that they were on the verge of eating a meal, or giving birth, to the fossils of aquatic animals in very high altitudes etc. There is too much evidence of the flood, the global flood. The world's a graveyard.

Scientific dating are 95% accurate. . .Can you provide your own scientific method of dating that sdhows that mount everist is 6000 years old?. . .There is NO evidence at all for any global flood, stop going to christian apoligist sites to copy rubbish. . .I have watched christian geolgist debates the quacks in answers in genesis about the imporbability of a global flood. . .Real geologist that are christians know it is impossible and have since declared it a regional flood just to keep faith alive. . .many are already saying its an allegory. . .

in addition to my reply above, the christians don't know any better. Most civilizations have ancient legends and tales of a flood, they are corrupt accounts passed down orally. There is too much evidence for us.

Not most civilizations, it is very false. . .Civilizations that live close to water have flood myths. . .The first flood story ever written is the epic of gilgamesh. . .That is where the ancient jews copied their story from. . .There is no evidence for you because we have uniterupted written history fro india, china, from the mayans etc. . .If the Noah's flood was true why didn't it wipe away the indians, chinese, mayans, egyptians etc?. . .Their uninteropted flow of history shows that the noah's flood remains a myth. . .

continents would have been different if an ancient cataclysmic event that caused underground crust-shiftings and magma eruptions happened 6000 years ago. Modern creationists do not claim it is allegory, not all of them, we claim it is real, the evidence of fossils and such is hard to ignore.

Stop speaking english you do not understand at all. . .The flood was said to have happened about 4300 years ago not 6000 years ago as i earlier stated, the continents were already separated and were already the way they are now. . .What are you saying?. . .The continents separated millions of years ago. . .Not 4000years ago. . .4000 years ago is NOT too distant. . .We have uninterupted history from other civilization that date back to 5000 years ago till date(e.g indians, chinese, mayans etc)

sorry, but we're undeterred. A scientific examination of facts will reveal that there is more than enough evidence of a global cataclysmic flood event.

don't worry, you'll soon see him.

Stop going to christian apologist sites, there is NO scientific evidence for any global flood any where. . .

3 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 8:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
Joshthefirst: nope, the flood got them all. It is recorded to be global, and the flood actually happened about 4500 years ago.

Repeating a lie many many times doesn't make it true. . .Where is your historical evidence that the chinese were wiped off the surface of the earth 4500 years ago?. . .We have many well documented history from them, the indians and the egyptians that date back as far as 6000 years ago, so what the hell are you saying? The aborigenes have dominated australia for over 50,000 years. . .Where is your historical evidence to show that china was not existing 4500 years ago, where is it?. . .

let's tackle this mathematically then, no need to make assumptions. Do the maths, and you'll see that its actually even more evidence of the fact that the global flood happened about 4,500 years ago. You will have about 6.8 billion people if you do the maths with a generation period of 150 h is very conservative. Human population doubles every 50 years about, inspite of natural disasters and deaths)

If you do similar geometric mathematical reconciliation with even an age like 50,000 years, with only a single set of parents and a conservative generation period, we will have an impossible number of human beings (more than 90 zeros at the back of the 1).

So doing the maths well will even prove that the earth is younger than we think, and that a global disaster must have happened 4500 years ago that reduced humanity to a population of 8.

Stop spweing rubbish that you know nothing about. . .

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
Joshthefirst: how have I abused you? I simply asked you to show how this event is an impossibility and a lie and you resort to this. This thread is not about rainbows, its us discussing the possibility of a great global flood happening. I have showed you that only specific pairs of each kind of animals, not species, were chosen, and I have shown you evidence and even posted further links for you to read up on the subject, and yet you still claim it is a lie without caring to show us how.

And how can you claim religious books as leverage when you have clearly stated that things written in religious books are a lie?

You seem to be speaking from misplaced grudge. Drop your grudges and examine evidence and dsicuss these issues instead of blindly claiming it is a lie without caring to show us how and when they have been disproved.

what is this? What has this got to do with the op? Stop trying to change topic and examine evidence. How can you claim in one post that we have forsaken our ancestors thinking and claim in another post that the writers of the bible were not as smart as we are today? Are our ancestors smart then?

And the bible claims that there will never be a global flood event, not a local flood event, and it will interest you to know that it was missionaries who brought the gospel, not colonizers.

And theonly reason we have advancement today is because man is able to share knowledge and build on research. Man has always been smart.

But all this is besides the point. Adress the op objectively by asking questions and stop derailing and lashing , or else no one will take you seriously.

You asked me to shut up but anyway lets forget that.
You say you have given evidence. I think you need to define what you mean by evidence. Somebody's story? How does that equate to evidence?
If Man has always been smart as you claim, he wouldn't have needed to live in CAVES. The human brain developed/evolved over time hence where we are today. Anyway back to the topic :
How were the different races of man accounted for in the Ark? 6000years is not enough for Man to evolve into the different races we have today. How did the animals survive in the ark? Water? Food? Did we only have a handful of humans and animals at the time? With the primitive resources available at the time, I find it difficult to believe all the relevant animals would have been in there without the Ark sinking. A more plausible explanation is still that a flood happened in a certain region of the world and Noah and his people and/or domesticated animals survived it. Humans just happened to twist the story so you shouldn't just believe everything you are told
Carbon dating shows existence way beyond the 6000years you are claiming . This is a fact.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 9:19pm On Jan 02, 2014
phuck_NL:

You say you have given evidence. I think you need to define what you mean by evidence. Somebody's story? How does that equate to evidence?
If Man has always been smart as you claim, he wouldn't have needed to live in CAVES. The human brain developed/evolved over time hence where we are today. Anyway back to the topic :
How were the different races of man accounted for in the Ark? 6000years is not enough for Man to evolve into the different races we have today. How did the animals survive in the ark? Water? Food? Did we only have a handful of humans and animals at the time? With the primitive resources available at the time, I find it difficult to believe all the relevant animals would have been in there without the Ark sinking. A more plausible explanation is still that a flood happened in a certain region of the world and Noah and his people and/or domesticated animals survived it. Humans just happened to twist the story so you shouldn't just believe everything you are told
Carbon dating shows existence way beyond the 6000years you are claiming . This is a fact.

Its not 6000 years but 4300 years. . .I want him to provide historical evidence to show that there were no people in China, India, Australia, Egypt etc 4300 years ago. . .These people have been writing their history uninterupted for over 6000 years, yet this one is here yapping NONSENSE. . .

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Ranchhoddas: 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
@josh,i am going to pretend i did not see ur disgraceful and ignorant response to my post...but i want to ask,what does the ''uninterrupted history'' that mazaje talked about mean to you?
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 10:22pm On Jan 02, 2014
mazaje:

The kind of species we are talking about do not evolve in 6000 years. . .What do you mean by give rise to new species?. . .Are you now in support of evolution or what?. . .It is very obvious that the animals in the ark assuming the story is true could not give rise to all the animals we see today unless true evolution. . .
I believe in speciation and adaptation.

mazaje:
Scientific dating are 95% accurate. . .Can you provide your own scientific method of dating that sdhows that mount everist is 6000 years old?. . .
this is a lie. Scientific dating is not completely reliable. Carbon dating can only go as far back as tens of thousands of years, this is also ignoring the earths decaying magnetic field.

mazaje:
There is NO evidence at all for any global flood, stop going to christian apoligist sites to copy rubbish. . .I have watched christian geolgist debates the quacks in answers in genesis about the imporbability of a global flood. . .Real geologist that are christians know it is impossible and have since declared it a regional flood just to keep faith alive. . .many are already saying its an allegory. . .
I have shown you what you will expect from if global flood ever happens, and we see our world in agreement with this evidence. Have you read the link? All you're doing is appealing to authority. Nonsense.

mazaje:
Not most civilizations, it is very false. . .Civilizations that live close to water have flood myths. . .The first flood story ever written is the epic of gilgamesh. . .That is where the ancient jews copied their story from. . .There is no evidence for you because we have uniterupted written history fro india, china, from the mayans etc. . .If the Noah's flood was true why didn't it wipe away the indians, chinese, mayans, egyptians etc?. . .Their uninteropted flow of history shows that the noah's flood remains a myth. . .
this is a lie. Chinese recorded history goes back to as far as only 3000 years ago. Why are you lying here? Post your evidence and stop lying.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/chinadynasties/a/ChinesePeriods.htm

mazaje: Stop speaking english you do not understand at all. . .The flood was said to have happened about 4300 years ago not 6000 years ago as i earlier stated, the continents were already separated and were already the way they are now. . .What are you saying?. . .The continents separated millions of years ago. . .Not 4000years ago. . .4000 years ago is NOT too distant. . .We have uninterupted history from other civilization that date back to 5000 years ago till date(e.g indians, chinese, mayans etc)
as I have said, this is a lie. Where is your proof that the continents seperated millions of years ago? Is it not just speculation?
Ask yourself if a global castatrophy like the flood that shook and broke open the crusts happened, will it not change the landscape and climate?
You are the one speaking what you do not understand.

mazaje:
Stop going to christian apologist sites, there is NO scientific evidence for any global flood any where. . .
nonsense. Have you checked the links? Answer this question with a yes or no. And most of what I say is what I think myself, I'm not dogmatic in believing speculations like you.

Ranchhoddas: @josh,i am going to pretend i did not see ur disgraceful and ignorant response to my post...but i want to ask,what does the ''uninterrupted history'' that mazaje talked about mean to you?
sorry for thinking you were reasonable. There is no uninterrupted recorded history in the sense he speaks of that goes farther than 4500 years ago. Chinese history only goes as far back as about 3000 years. And have you done the maths?

phuck_NL:
which one is somebody's story? You click the links? Did you see my reply to mazaje?
There are fossils of both marine and terrestrial organisms buried alive, fossils of marine organisms in extremely high altitudes. There are long lengths of landscape tevidence of scarring that can only be done by deposition and transportation of sediments by fast-moving waters of a huge scale(the grand canyons for eg)

phuck_NL:
If Man has always been smart as you claim, he wouldn't have needed to live in CAVES. The human brain developed/evolved over time hence where we are today.
men have always been smart, the reason we advance is because of exchange of information and research. Go out by yourself in a desolate land then, without much resources and see if you won't find a cave to lie down in the night. Man has not always lived in caves. Man has also built empires and pyramids.

phuck_NL:
Anyway back to the topic :
How were the different races of man accounted for in the Ark? 6000years is not enough for Man to evolve into the different races we have today. How did the animals survive in the ark? Water? Food? Did we only have a handful of humans and animals at the time? With the primitive resources available at the time, I find it difficult to believe all the relevant animals would have been in there without the Ark sinking.
what do you mean different races? We're all homo sapiens with slight variations, that's all.
Did the ark not have windows? Did it not have space for storage? Again I say, noah put only pairs of each kind of animals. The links I posted before takes care of each of these issues comprehensively.

phuck_NL:
A more plausible explanation is still that a flood happened in a certain region of the world and Noah and his people and/or domesticated animals survived it. Humans just happened to twist the story so you shouldn't just believe everything you are told
nope. You're the one twisting the story now. There is enough evidence of a global flood. You simply choose to close your ears and sing.

phuck_NL:
carbon dating only goes as far back as tens of thousands of years because of its moderate half-life. And its prone to contamination, and it does not take the very important issue of earth's rapidly decaying magnetic field into play.

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 10:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
If carbon dating goes as far back as tens of thousands of years alone, doesn't that disprove your 4300 yrs story then?
Not that I agree with you though cos I know carbon dating is accurate.

2 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 10:37pm On Jan 02, 2014
phuck_NL: If carbon dating goes as far back as tens of thousands of years alone, doesn't that disprove your 4300 yrs story then?
Not that I agree with you though cos I know carbon dating is accurate.
lol. Consider the earths magnetic field. Why would you be so dogmatic in accepting it? Does the truth threaten you?

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 11:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
Joshthefirst: lol. Consider the earths magnetic field. Why would you be so dogmatic in accepting it? Does the truth threaten you?

I give up. It's no use argueing with you

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by khattab02: 12:21am On Jan 03, 2014
hmmm.. Interesting! Real debate here.
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 9:14am On Jan 03, 2014
I don't understand all you said about numbers.

1.The tower of babel was built about 100 years after the said flood.Are you saying only six people ( Noah and his wife didn't have any more kids) reproduced enough to build a tower that threatened the bible god in 100 years?

2.If the global flood is true, who built the pyramids
because they were built at that period.

3.Tell us how six people gave birth to all the races in the world today.

please don't try to discredit radio-carbon dating.If you've got a better method, get into the lab and show us and maybe win a Nobel.by the way, how do I share a link here?

4 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 03, 2014
Joshthefirst: all of them were not needed, only a token of them were needed, as the record states, for continuance and reproduction. Again, we must understand that there must have been much fewer species then than there are now, so the ark would have been convenient.

According to the bible the flood happened about 6000 years ago, pretty most of the species available on earth existed at that time. . .

well, the landscape was very different then. The bible records that the fountains of the deep were opened, so we can conclude that the resulting volcanic eruptions and deposits are what raised the land and created major mountains during the post-flood era. This is just guessing shaa. It seems a good guess to me. What do you think(I hope you're not just trying to mock here, we're examining possibilities). The climate change caused by the flood is said to be responsible for the extinction of a number of species. And HIV wasn't around then. Nawa for you o.

the earths landscape wasn't different 6000 years ago. . .

Mount Everist alone is over 60 million years old according to scientific dating. . .

The mythical flood did not create any ajor mountain any where. . .Most of the major mountains are millions of years old according to scientist. . .I told you in another thread that people were living and writing their own histories in places like china, india, egypt and south america uninterupted 6000 years ago. . .There is no evidence what so ever to show that the earth was once flooded, its just a jewish myth and fairy tale, many christians know this and are now saying that the flood was a local flood and not a global one. . .

There is NO evidence for a global flood any where. ..

there's a possibility the cataclysm was responsible for the major break-up of the continents. The records state that the animals came, maybe the landscape was much different then.

Continents were formed very long ago and not 6000 years ago. .

Point

The story written in the bible was based on Noah's history to teach people lesson to learn out of the scenario

Noah ark didn't save the whole world. Other people existed somewhere else on earth
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:28am On Jan 03, 2014
Pimples:

I seriously think trying to use science to fault the Bible is wrong....
As some one mentioned earlier, Carbon Dating as well as other scientific dating methods are not accurate and are largely unreliable.
Each method gives u a different date for the origin of the earth.
Science has not, cannot and will never answer all questions......
One of such questions is how life came to exist in the first place......
There is this tendency for we humans to think like humans....whereas God has said that his ways are higher than our ways......
Never underestimate the power of God.
What science might view to be illogical or impossible, is very possible with God.
Hence, since we were not there....we can only speculate as to how the whole process of the flood was carried out.....
But one thing is sure....the flood of Noah's day actually happened.

God bless you.

Pimples:
@ OP
Going by the specifications in the bible,and in simple comparism the ark was supposed to have been slightly larger than 2 standard football fields

That's a very good observation. Noah's Ark was slightly larger than 2 football pitches. smiley
Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Ranchhoddas: 11:39am On Jan 03, 2014
Too many brain-dead people on this thread...i give up.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Joshthefirst(m): 11:52am On Jan 03, 2014
Ranchhoddas: Too many brain-dead people on this thread...i give up.
I've seen this many times. Its actually how atheists argue. When presented with facts and challenged to reason even scientificallt, they claim the person is brain dead and run away from the argument. Classic. Classic foolishness.

I've shown you fact that china's history only goes back as far as about 3000 years, contrary to the blatant lies you and mazaje were heralding. At least he ran away, unlike you. He knew better.

3 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
Joshthefirst: I've seen this many times. Its actually how atheists argue. When presented with facts and challenged to reason even scientificallt, they claim the person is brain dead and run away from the argument. Classic. Classic foolishness.

I've shown you fact that china's history only goes back as far as about 3000 years, contrary to the blatant lies you and mazaje were heralding. At least he ran away, unlike you. He knew better.
You couldn't have said it better bro...Atheist thrives on lies and deceit. Only gullible and ignorant folks will swallow what they say without making proper and adequate research..Kudos!

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
Cosmo Vern said: "I'd like to point out, in addition to my earlier reply, that only one of two scenarios could have allowed 3.6 million animals (1.8 million species, in pairs) and 8 humans to fit on the ark. 1. God shrank the animals so they'd all fit. 2. Noah was a Time Lord and the ark was a TARDIS."

Response:

There's one more scenario you haven't considered. See if you can spot the repetition of a particular word that skeptics dislike:

"Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive" (Genesis 6:20).

That's right, it's the dreaded word "kind"—that archaic word that the dictionary defines as "a class or group of individual objects, people, animals, etc., of the same nature or character, or classified together because they have traits in common." It's a despised word because it means God didn't have to get today’s approximately 6.5 million species to fit onto the ark. It means Noah needed only one pair for the canine kind—from which would come all the species of dog, from the Chihuahua to the Great Dane—and one pair for the feline kind—from which would come the domesticated cat and the tiger, etc. So now we are talking just thousands of animals, not millions. And because these animals need not have been fully grown (averaging the size of a sheep), it becomes possible.

Another consideration is the size of the ark. It wasn't the little rubber-ducky-bobbing-boat portrayed in kid's cartoons. It was a massive three-level ship, the size of one and a half football fields.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by phuckNL: 4:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Cosmo Vern said: "I'd like to point out, in addition to my earlier reply, that only one of two scenarios could have allowed 3.6 million animals (1.8 million species, in pairs) and 8 humans to fit on the ark. 1. God shrank the animals so they'd all fit. 2. Noah was a Time Lord and the ark was a TARDIS."

Response:

There's one more scenario you haven't considered. See if you can spot the repetition of a particular word that skeptics dislike:

"Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive" (Genesis 6:20).

That's right, it's the dreaded word "kind"—that archaic word that the dictionary defines as "a class or group of individual objects, people, animals, etc., of the same nature or character, or classified together because they have traits in common." It's a despised word because it means God didn't have to get today’s approximately 6.5 million species to fit onto the ark. It means Noah needed only one pair for the canine kind—from which would come all the species of dog, from the Chihuahua to the Great Dane—and one pair for the feline kind—from which would come the domesticated cat and the tiger, etc. So now we are talking just thousands of animals, not millions. And because these animals need not have been fully grown (averaging the size of a sheep), it becomes possible.

Another consideration is the size of the ark. It wasn't the little rubber-ducky-bobbing-boat portrayed in kid's cartoons. It was a massive three-level ship, the size of one and a half football fields.

Is there a reason why this words were "coded" ? Why isn't it just clear and understandable for all? Why parables? Why couldn't the tale be written exactly has it happened. e.g Noah built an ark that was this big and had this many animals? Why is it that most of these things that are so hard to believe occurred during pre-historic times when there was no way of recording/data capture. Why don't we have any of these happening anymore now that we have ways of recording these incidents.

1 Like

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 4:59pm On Jan 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

God bless you.

That's a very good observation. Noah's Ark was slightly larger than 2 football pitches. smiley

Noah's ark dimensions :300 cubits long (137.16 m, 450 ft), 50 wide (22.86 m, 75 ft), and 30 high (13.716 m, 45 ft); (wikipedia)

The length of the pitch for international adult matches is in the range of 100–110 m (110–120 yd) and the width is in the range of 64–75 m (70–80 yd). (wikipedia)

How is noah's ark bigger than 2 football pitches now eh?Stop trying to deny historical evidence just to prove your book.my question on how six people populated the earth in 100 years to be able to build a tower that threathened God still stands Olaadegbu and pimples please try to answer.

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 5:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
Joshthefirst: I've seen this many times. Its actually how atheists argue. When presented with facts and challenged to reason even scientificallt, they claim the person is brain dead and run away from the argument. Classic. Classic foolishness.

I'm still waiting for my population answers and how the Egyptians built the pyramids Egyptian history goes as far back as 3100 B.C so tell us the Egyptians built the pyramids if they were wiped out or are you saying noah's descendants built the pyramids?
Just so you know, Chinese history is over 4000 years old (Xia dynasty 2100- 1600 BC).

6 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by peterphd(m): 5:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
Bidam: You couldn't have said it better bro...Atheist thrives on lies and deceit. Only gullible and ignorant folks will swallow what they say without making proper and adequate research..Kudos!

Guy, the atheists here have raised questions about re-population, how Noah went to Australia to get koalas,micro-organisms etc so just answer them if you are sure and don't start saying atheists are deceitful

4 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 6:18pm On Jan 03, 2014
Joshthefirst: I believe in speciation and adaptation.

Speciation and adaptation is what gave rise to new species, eh?. . .Is that not evolution?. . .

this is a lie. Scientific dating is not completely reliable. Carbon dating can only go as far back as tens of thousands of years, this is also ignoring the earths decaying magnetic field.

Is carbon dating the only method of scientific dating?. . .Stop talking about the earths magnetic filed as if you know anything about it. . .If you know what you are talki ng about you will not be regurjitating failed lines you copy from christian apoligist sites. . .

I have shown you what you will expect from if global flood ever happens, and we see our world in agreement with this evidence. Have you read the link? All you're doing is appealing to authority. Nonsense.

There is nothing to read in the link because it is completely false. . .it is not scientific but bogus psuedo scientific jargons. . .

this is a lie. Chinese recorded history goes back to as far as only 3000 years ago. Why are you lying here? Post your evidence and stop lying.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/chinadynasties/a/ChinesePeriods.htm

This is how you keep telling lies. . .From the link you posted it says. . .

"Chinese recorded history goes back more than 3000 years and if you add archaeological evidence (including Chinese pottery), another millennium and a half, to roughly 2500 B.C."

You can see who is lying here. . .It says their RECORDED history goes back MORE than 3000 years and if you add archaeological evidence it goes even further to 2550BC which is like 4500 years, this is just their RECORDED history before they invented their system of writing, before then they had been living for many thousands of years. . .Your link even disproves what you are saying. . .Again I ask, where is your historical evidence to show that there were no people in china 4300 years ago. . .

as I have said, this is a lie. Where is your proof that the continents seperated millions of years ago? Is it not just speculation?
Ask yourself if a global castatrophy like the flood that shook and broke open the crusts happened, will it not change the landscape and climate?
You are the one speaking what you do not understand.

Only that nothing like the Noah's global flood happened 4300 years ago. . .It is only a mythical story that happened in the pages of the bible and no where else. . .Where is your scientific method of dating that shows that the coninent separated 4300 years ago?. . .where is it?. . .

nonsense. Have you checked the links? Answer this question with a yes or no. And most of what I say is what I think myself, I'm not dogmatic in believing speculations like you.

You are new here obviously, we have beaten these points to death many many years ago with other christians. . .Oladegbuu knows it very well. . .All the points have been disproved here, there are countless numbers of topics on the flood myth. . .You can go throw them. . .No reasonable christian bothers to bring up such topic any more because it has been beaten to death, only Oladegbuu and his young earth creationist nonsense wants to keep refighting a lost battle. . .

3 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by mazaje(m): 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2014

You have not shown anything. . .Again from the link you dropped. . .

Chinese recorded history goes back more than 3000 years and if you add archaeological evidence (including Chinese pottery), another millennium and a half, to roughly 2500 B.C.

Their RECORDED history goes back more than 3000 years, meaning it could be anything from 3000 years to 6000 years that is just their RECORDED history ohhh, meaning their history before they invented their system of writing. . .it says MORE, not less or about 3000 years it says more. . .together with archaeological evidence it dates more than 4500 years that is just for their RECORDED history, not their history as a nation. . .

Here is a historical map showing how life in China was 4500 years ago. . .

http://www.timemaps.com/history/china-2500bc

Now provide any map or evidence to show that there were no people living in china 4300 years ago. . .

Where is your evidence that there were no people living in China 4300 years ago?. . .The pyramids of Egypt were built about 5000 years ago, so where is your evidence that there were no people living in Egypt at that time?. . .You clearly do not know what you are saying. . .

3 Likes

Re: "How Large Was Noah's Ark?" by Ranchhoddas: 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2014

God in heaven!who is an atheist?fyi, i am a christian that enjoys atheistic arguments-a rational christian,the implausibility of Noah's story is monumental but as usual u try to force urself to believe it. China has 3000 years history,are u drunk?have u heard of the aborigines?google is ur friend and not answers in genesis.no wonder you are the laughing stock of this section.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? / Daddy Freeze Reacts To Pastor Kumuyi On Women Wearing Trousers / Countries Ranked According To Prayer, Daddy Freeze Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.