Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,687 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses (54096 Views)

Abuja: A Very Spacious Self Contain To Let 400K. 5% Legal Fees. / Abuja: A Spacious Self Contain 400K. A Room And Parlour Bq 500k. 5% Legal Fees. / Abuja A Room Self-contained (N120,000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
am waiting for that 'zobo', nice observation but i dnt think 'they' visit nairaland
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by uchrikk(m): 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
Quite an irony.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by joshdgr8: 12:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Lollss....its true...I stay in abuja and see all those empty houses...buh you know what all those houses are being kept for me...they are my treasure...The wealth of the wicked is bin laid up for d just...
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by austinemar: 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2014
;Dthe only way fg can control dis situation would be to set ''price floors".... una sabi Wetin I mean? ;Dthe only way fg can control dis situation would be to set ''price floors".... una sabi Wetin I mean?
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 05, 2014
Lynpetra, hope say you no con see my house call am empty house because say when you pass nah only me dey inside...

I will agree with your assertion partially but most of the houses i visited in Abuja in areas like Gwarimpa, (you know say nah big man area), you will not see anybody outside as you drive by.

But call person wey you wan see for phone, the person go comot even with hin children. Those houses are occupied my sista....
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Nairaboi(m): 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2014
i refuse to agree with the o.p. first, not only Abuja but anypart of Nigeria, are these same empty houses because the are highly priced. These is because the environment where these houses are built did no come easy. if i may ask how easy will it be to buy a land of over 50 million and then build structures just to rent it out for peanuts. from wuse to Asokoro, maitama to Garki down to Airport road the estates there cost money and that is y if anyone cant afford them, alieta, giri, mpape, zuba , karmo to dei dei awaits u.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2014
blaise26.abj:
Abuja wasn't designed for the poor. It is what they say repeatedly. Whichever way u look @ it, that was the plan from the onset when Abuja was designed. Keep the poor (security men, cooks, cleaners) in the outskirts. And let them come into town to work and go back to where they came from. The primary purpose of the Light rail system of abuja is to do that effectively.

Even the current FCT minister's policies don't favour the poor. No bike, no buses within the City centre etc. It reflects the plan of the govt to keep abj for the wealthy.

@ Topic: the construction of those buildings provide daily livelihoods for a lot of nigerians. Yes, the money is usually stolen. But would u rather the money is taken to a swiss bank to waste away? At least when they put it in construction, it trickles down to the people.

As for the buildings unoccupied, the owners will soon lose out when the national housing scheme kicks off. (provided they don't hijack it)
abi o .....thank you and God bless you! instead of mugufooly dumping the looted monies idly in swiss banks the reformists kleptomaniacs are beginning to invest the monies on properties which will surely trickle down to the people. great observation though. thats why the building proffessioners are still very much in business and waxing strong!
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Akinsnaira: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
This is to a largest extent due to inefficient tax system or taxation in this country. Luxury properties generate huge some of tax revenue for Government in advanced countries, which are used to enhance the wealth of the masses. But in case of 9ja, these luxuries evade taxes at will, the burden of tax is mostly felt by low or middle income earners. The sincerity of any govt towards its people can be easily judged through the use of weapon of tax to bridge the gap between the rich and poor. Empty mammoth estate buildings worth billions or trillions are also in advanced countries, but do you know how much they constitute to the pulse of governments in those countries through taxation? This is to those trying to justify the situation in Abuja and other cities in naija
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by emmatok(m): 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nairaboi: i refuse to agree with the o.p. first, not only Abuja but anypart of Nigeria, are these same empty houses because the are highly priced. These is because the environment where these houses are built did no come easy. if i may ask how easy will it be to buy a land of over 50 million and then build structures just to rent it out for peanuts. from wuse to Asokoro, maitama to Garki down to Airport road the estates there cost money and that is y if anyone cant afford them, alieta, giri, mpape, zuba , karmo to dei dei awaits u.

Your post shows you agree with the OP, she is just using Abuja as an example.

But whats the marketability of those properties.

Most big men would rather buy land and build their houses in Abuja, Than to pay millions renting overpriced properties.

Most Abuja properly owners/developers are not smiling.

Na ABOKI dey enjoy the house, thats were BK boyz
were caught during the last raid.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by UyiIredia(m): 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
lynpetra:

My brother It's really pathetic!!I mean from Apo,to along Airport,Lokogoma,etc you see lot of empty Estates,NOBODY!!NOT EVEN A DEAD LIZARD!!!

I believe you. Meanwhile the likes of ROSSIKE engage in false conspiracy theories as regards a similar issue, like this (Vivly angry) in Angola. Oil money powering large estates people can't afford. I laugh when I see the price or the mortgage condition in some of them. These folks surely are silly to think some Behind looking upper-middle class folk can afford to pay #95 million over a space of a year on lavish condo.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by begwong: 12:53pm On Jan 05, 2014
kamez: Blame it on the cost of getting a land in those areas.. Would u buy land for 50millio, build a house and rent it out for 500k per annum? How many centuries would it take u to recoup ur capital? Remember real estate is a business and like every oda buisness, the aim is to start making profit ad quickly as possible

Expantiate on the source of the #50 million first!
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Evergreat2014(m): 12:57pm On Jan 05, 2014
POPE II: How many times are we going to talk about this and have the same topic on the FP ?

Until the problem is solved.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by UyiIredia(m): 12:59pm On Jan 05, 2014
emmatok:

You post shows you agree with the OP, she is just using Abuja as an example.

But whats the marketability of those properties.

Most big men would rather buy land and build their houses in Abuja, Than to pay millions renting overpriced properties.

Most Abuja properly owners/developers are not smiling.

Na ABOKI dey enjoy the house, thats were BK boyz
were caught during the last raid.

I know someone who know someone who is a politician who saud that 'raid on Boko boys' was a cover-up story for murder. It is a general who owns the house. I was told he hated the abokis using his uncomoleted building and had told them to leave but they didn't for obvious reasons. He got them killed and arranged a fancy (and neatly done IMO) story they were Boko boys. I myself chopped the lie before being told otherwise.

Think about it, they didn't even have no weapons, it was in a safe part of Abuja not known for terrorism of the sort. BTW Boko boys usually operate from villages on the outskirts of cities and from there sneak in a city to bomb,nkill or steal. That issue needs to be followed up, but who will bell the cat ?
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by tallfish145(m): 1:07pm On Jan 05, 2014
And d only affordable place to live has been marked for demolition- I mean Mpape
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by emmatok(m): 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

I know someone who know someone who is a politician who saud that 'raid on Boko boys' was a cover-up story for murder. It is a general who owns the house. I was told he hated the abokis using his uncomoleted building and had told them to leave but they didn't for obvious reasons. He got them killed and arranged a fancy (and neatly done IMO) story they were Boko boys. I myself chopped the lie before being told otherwise.

Think about it, they didn't even have no weapons, it was in a safe part of Abuja not known for terrorism of the sort. BTW Boko boys usually operate from villages on the outskirts of cities and from there sneak in a city to bomb,nkill or steal. That issue needs to be followed up, but who will bell the cat ?
Ye i also heard that Jist, but if those houses were marketable, those properties won't empty for scavengers.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by UyiIredia(m): 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2014
joshdgr8: Lollss....its true...I stay in abuja and see all those empty houses...buh you know what all those houses are being kept for me...they are my treasure...The wealth of the wicked is bin laid up for d just...

@ bolded: Careful now. Many Nigerians (my late mum included) have died thinking that way. You better do your bit and your best to ensure the people misusing the complacence of the others to mismanage wealth are brought to book and curbed from such excesses. Thomas Paine thingz.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by gerald09(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2014
Abuja a city were 80% of it population works for d Gov directly while 10% get indirect jobs from Gov contracts while d remaining 10% do regular business which dey rely on dis 90% to survive. Now gov official loot money n build house in kubwa, Asokoro n Apo. D Asokoro n Apo is meant for d rich, famous n oda Gov officials so dey put a ridiculous price, so now if all d Gov who steals money build houses and with the stupidi*ty of most thieves they all put ridiculous prices since dey all now rely on dat 20% to come n rent, the kubwa own gets full n Apo n Asokoro remains empty cos "hey I be thief u be thief y leave in ur house wen I can build my own Too". Eventually the price drops cos wen retirement come dey start selling it like a bi*tch on heat. Let face it abuja is not a business state majority rely n wait on budget n contracts. Which after dey get it they take it out side abuja n give it to another state. Wait and see the story of d Rise and Fall of d Abuja housing market.

1 Like

Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by UyiIredia(m): 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
emmatok:
Ye i also heard that Jist, but if those houses were marketable, those properties won't empty for scavengers.

True. The general selfish die. An uncomoleted property under my care is uncompleted we simply made the Hausas there pay cheap rent and look after the place. The man probably thought of the Hausa guys there as vermins.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by solin: 1:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
They are keeping it for average Nigerians.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by arcview: 1:31pm On Jan 05, 2014
@iynpetra. Houses don't get C of O, it is land that get C Of O. Houses only get building plan Approval..
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by maasoap(m): 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2014
kamez: Blame it on the cost of getting a land in those areas.. Would u buy land for 50millio, build a house and rent it out for 500k per annum? How many centuries would it take u to recoup ur capital? Remember real estate is a business and like every oda buisness, the aim is to start making profit ad quickly as possible
And you prefer 0k to making 500k annually? What a response!
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2014
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Ijobaorun(m): 1:48pm On Jan 05, 2014
VANITY UPON VANITY! THEY SHOULD GO AND ASK KING SOLOMON.
ANYWAY,LET THEM KEEP OCCUPYING THEM TILL (WE) THE REAL OWNERS COMES.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Ajibola446(m): 1:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
indoorlove: You are so right! Wickedness in the highest order, u build a world class estate but nobody lives in. If you are doubting the poster, please take a walk around abuja model city in gwarinpa and see for yourself.
.el-rufai will come again to clear all empty mansions.when apc gain power
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by UyiIredia(m): 1:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
kayswag100:

God bless u!!!

I was bitter initially when I stayed in abj and my house got demolished. If you can't afford the expensive houses, move on! !!

I then realised that it's all about the benjamins baby. ..

My office building (close to force had quaters) was leased at 1.2bill for 4yrs and ppl still paid.

d op needs to know that all cities have deserted houses/overpriced estates. abj is just an example

I think you and Okija Juju don't appreciate the role ridiculous prices set in an overheated estate bubble played in the Asian economic crash of about 1997.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Ijobaorun(m): 2:02pm On Jan 05, 2014
Like I said earlier, by the time we will be bying those mansions, they will be begging us to bring any amount cos they will be so desperate of money.
Say like 500k and at most 1m....
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by KiksAsso: 2:08pm On Jan 05, 2014
I forsee a situation where homeless people will begin to stay in those houses and once they occupy them, they will rather die than allow any body push them out. A form of revolution---- you know.
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Helephor: 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
phantonce: they are just trying to correct the mistake they made with lagos by making tins cheaper wich eventually made it overcrowded with human beings and animal.
lekki and v.I is a great example.
lagos is way fun and developed than abuja but na overpopulation kill am.
anytin nigerian touches especially some tribe turns into filth
And which tribe is that? Racist!
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by felifeli: 3:06pm On Jan 05, 2014
Anyway I don't care. Na igbo people get Abuja

2 Likes

Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:12pm On Jan 05, 2014
emmatok:

Well the issue here is that Nigerian properties are overpriced.
There are lots of empty homes Ikoyi, Lekki and Ikeja GRA waiting for people to pay 3.5-5 million par year.

Some properties in Lagos are more expensive than some eyebrow areas in US and UK

Highbrow not eye brow
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Decryptor(m): 3:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
felifeli: Anyway I don't care. Na igbo people get Abuja
You can say that again!
Re: Abuja - A City Of Empty Houses by Morgan567(m): 3:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
One day bush meat go catch the hunter, let them build, in a few yrs we will buy them off of their hands #operationnewcabal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria / JJ Emejulu "I Own Enugu Airport": Man Arrests Airport Staff With IGP Squad / Rivers Landlord Hacks Couple With Machete After The Woman 'Refused His Advances'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.