Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,572 members, 7,820,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Maintenance Tips On Cars. - Car Talk (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips On Cars. (916008 Views)

Funny Things Written On Cars(buses) You've Seen? / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / AUTO MAINTENANCE TIPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (510) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Grupo(m): 9:03am On Apr 22, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Check PCV and valve stem seals.

Okay. Thank you.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by obidevine(m): 9:45am On Apr 22, 2021
How long should I warm up my car before driving?

It largely depends on the age of your car, and whether or not you use fully synthetic oil. Such modern oils are very light (as in, low viscosity) , and do not take long to coat the engine components. My car is already 8 years old, but uses fully synthetic 0W20 oil, and the car manual says to give it ten seconds before driving away. This would be the same for most modern cars with similarly light oils.

Also, next time you turn your ignition to the ‘on’ position, before you start the engine, have a listen for the sounds the car makes. You may be able to hear a slight whirring sound - and this could be the sound of your fuel pump priming. It's important to let this happen before you start the engine. Give the car a few seconds (try counting to 5), before you start the engine. In my previous car, this sound was clearly audible, and when it stopped, I knew the pump was primed and ready to do its job. Getting into the car, and immediately starting the engine is neither good for the engine, nor the fuel pump. It can be a little harder to tell what's going on with keyless entry systems, they vary from car to car, but once the ignition is on, that fuel pump starts priming.

Perhaps most important of all though, is that you should not drive the car hard until the engine reaches operating temperature - most wear occurs when a car is driven too hard when the engine is cold.

So, switch the ignition on and wait maybe 5 seconds max, then start the engine and give it ten seconds. Don't leave the car running long before you pull away, but once you do, drive gently and accelerate smoothly until you see the needle on the temperature gauge rise a bit, and then you can start having a little more fun. This is far better than letting the car run for a minute or two before pulling away, and then flooring it!

If you have an older car, running on mineral, or heavier semi-synthetic oil, you might let the engine idle a little longer, but I still wouldn't wait much more then 30 seconds before driving gently away.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:49am On Apr 22, 2021
obidevine:

It largely depends on the age of your car, and whether or not you use fully synthetic oil. Such modern oils are very light (as in, low viscosity) , and do not take long to coat the engine components. My car is already 8 years old, but uses fully synthetic 0W20 oil, and the car manual says to give it ten seconds before driving away. This would be the same for most modern cars with similarly light oils.

Also, next time you turn your ignition to the ‘on’ position, before you start the engine, have a listen for the sounds the car makes. You may be able to hear a slight whirring sound - and this could be the sound of your fuel pump priming. It's important to let this happen before you start the engine. Give the car a few seconds (try counting to 5), before you start the engine. In my previous car, this sound was clearly audible, and when it stopped, I knew the pump was primed and ready to do its job. Getting into the car, and immediately starting the engine is neither good for the engine, nor the fuel pump. It can be a little harder to tell what's going on with keyless entry systems, they vary from car to car, but once the ignition is on, that fuel pump starts priming.

Perhaps most important of all though, is that you should not drive the car hard until the engine reaches operating temperature - most wear occurs when a car is driven too hard when the engine is cold.

So, switch the ignition on and wait maybe 5 seconds max, then start the engine and give it ten seconds. Don't leave the car running long before you pull away, but once you do, drive gently and accelerate smoothly until you see the needle on the temperature gauge rise a bit, and then you can start having a little more fun. This is far better than letting the car run for a minute or two before pulling away, and then flooring it!

If you have an older car, running on mineral, or heavier semi-synthetic oil, you might let the engine idle a little longer, but I still wouldn't wait much more then 30 seconds before driving gently away.

obidevine ASE BSC...

6 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by SteveUg(m): 11:01am On Apr 22, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Timing chain snapped
Thank you so much boss... I will get a mechanic to check
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by zabimaru: 2:13pm On Apr 22, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I think it's an MBA rated post.
Honestly, it's fun in here.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by obidevine(m): 6:11pm On Apr 22, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Whatever

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CITEH: 10:08am On Apr 23, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Timing chain snapped

Gazzuzz, good morning. Please my Lexus Es330 is having acceleration issues of recent. Sometimes it moves smoothly and fast, sometimes it lags. I will have to step fully on the gas before my car speeds a little.

My mechanic has changed fuel pump, it stopped for a few weeks then started again. He changed notch sensor, the problem still persists.

Kindly proffer a solution if any please.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:45am On Apr 23, 2021
CITEH:

Gazzuzz, good morning. Please my Lexus Es330 is having acceleration issues of recent. Sometimes it moves smoothly and fast, sometimes it lags. I will have to step fully on the gas before my car speeds a little.

My mechanic has changed fuel pump, it stopped for a few weeks then started again. He changed notch sensor, the problem still persists.

Replace mechanic

5 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 5:21pm On Apr 23, 2021
CITEH:

Start with a scan
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:55pm On Apr 23, 2021
dicksonadams:

Start with a scab

scab it.

Dickson Adams

XLE, GLE , FSI, BSC.

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by obidevine(m): 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2021
dicksonadams:

Start with a scab

What's a "scab" ?

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by 9icetoo(m): 6:27pm On Apr 23, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

scab it.

Dickson Adams

XLE, GLE , FSI, BSC.
grin
TRD

3 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2021
9icetoo:

grin
TRD
MNI, NMI, TNT, GMB, PYO, HIV. grin grin cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 7:30pm On Apr 23, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

scab it.

Dickson Adams

XLE, GLE , FSI, BSC.

My bro I greet thee... Typo ni o grin
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:37pm On Apr 23, 2021
9icetoo:

grin
TRD

kingreign:

MNI, NMI, TNT, GMB, PYO, HIV. grin grin cheesy cheesy

[img]https://media1./images/46d73c3cc50fa32e0e1d8c2a38007477/tenor.gif?itemid=7513882[/img]
small play unna don carry am go far

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by DMechy: 12:18am On Apr 24, 2021
CITEH:

Your mechanic needs to change something else. Maybe the tyre, normally factory recommended tyre for the Lexus is Micheline. And it only rolls when you drive or push the car.

He should change the tyres. Ensure you buy Micheline, new, not Belgium.

Scan the vehicle and post codes

4 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by emmyN(m): 12:37am On Apr 24, 2021
DMechy:

Your mechanic needs to change something else. Maybe the tyre, normally factory recommended tyre for the Lexus is Micheline. And it only rolls when you drive or push the car.

You're not kidding here, right?

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by BAZ001: 12:43am On Apr 24, 2021
obidevine:

Thank you
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by oluayebenz: 12:47am On Apr 24, 2021
DMechy:

The Mechy indeed grin grin

Wetin person no go see for Niaraland.com cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by zabimaru: 1:37am On Apr 24, 2021
emmyN:

he's either kidding, lacking a PCV cert or still undergoing OBD

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CITEH: 10:01am On Apr 24, 2021
DMechy:

Vehicle has been scanned, no error codes.

For the tyres, I doubt. I have been using the car for two years, and this only started recently.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by CITEH: 10:04am On Apr 24, 2021
emmyN:

cheesy cheesy
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by obidevine(m): 12:47pm On Apr 24, 2021
CITEH:

Get your fuel injector nozzles serviced and your throttle body cleaned

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Besto(m): 4:36pm On Apr 24, 2021
CITEH:

Vehicle has been scanned, no error codes.

For the tyres, I doubt. I have been using the car for two years, and this only started recently.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

You sef dey take the tyre comment seriously.

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by JCFR(m): 9:55pm On Apr 24, 2021
My car Honda Accord 2008 isn't shifting properly especially when am about to go into motion. Highway drive shift smooth but when I slow down and want to accelerate. It fails to move into the next gear and just revs until I pull to N and back to D (not all the time).
I scanned it and it displayed "P0716 Input Shaft (Mainshaft) Speed Sensor (Range/Performance).
What is wrong here?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:59pm On Apr 24, 2021
JCFR:
My car Honda Accord 2008 isn't shifting properly especially when am about to go into motion. Highway drive shift smooth but when I slow down and want to accelerate. It fails to move into the next gear and just revs until I pull to N and back to D (not all the time).
I scanned it and it displayed "P0716 Input Shaft (Mainshaft) Speed Sensor (Range/Performance).
What is wrong here?

The 2 times I came across that code, I replaced the gearbox jeje
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by JCFR(m): 10:12pm On Apr 24, 2021
How much is the gearbox?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by dicksonadams(m): 2:37pm On Apr 25, 2021
With 150k to 200k you should able to handle gear and labour confidently...

After changing avoid any other transmission fluid apart from Honda genuine transmission fluid.

However if your car is V6 automatic, replacing transmission can be factor in as a routine maintenance item say every 5 years.

Best combo for Honda accord is usual Honda i4 engine and manual transmission, everlasting bulletproof
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by kingreign(m): 2:48pm On Apr 25, 2021
dicksonadams:
With 150k to 200k you should able to handle gear and labour confidently...

After changing avoid any other transmission fluid apart from Honda genuine transmission fluid.

However if your car is V6 automatic, replacing transmission can be factor in as a routine maintenance item say every 5 years.

Best combo for Honda accord is usual Honda i4 engine and manual transmission, everlasting bulletproof

You can't get a good transmission for 2008 Honda for 200k now (at least in Abuja).
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by drakeskull(m): 8:12am On Apr 26, 2021
What's the solution to Camry 2013 transmission shudder that makes it exhibit a brief, intermittent transmission shudder while driving under light loads between 25 and 50 mph? Heard Toyota recalled the vehicles and did software update. How does one fix such car here?
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by Machini(m): 8:03pm On Apr 26, 2021
drakeskull:
What's the solution to Camry 2013 transmission shudder that makes it exhibit a brief, intermittent transmission shudder while driving under light loads between 25 and 50 mph? Heard Toyota recalled the vehicles and did software update. How does one fix such car here?

I am currently experiencing this with my 2013 Camry too. I pray there's a solution that wouldn't involve replacing the transmission.
Re: Maintenance Tips On Cars. by drakeskull(m): 8:12pm On Apr 26, 2021
Machini:

I am currently experiencing this with my 2013 Camry too. I pray there's a solution that wouldn't involve replacing the transmission.

Read on forums there's a recall by Toyota for that. Solution is software update or replacement of the transmission torque converter of update doesn't resolve it

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (510) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.