Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:20 AM

Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents (43155 Views)

A Comparison Between Christian Doctrine And Mormon Doctrine / Check Our Church Doctrine And Join Us / Proponents Of "Touch Not My Anointed" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 4:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
Candour:

My bro, no be small thing o. The desperate search for 'solutions' to 'problems' can push a man to extremes and places he never imagined.

'A Christian contented is a Christian victorious' is the most important lesson I learnt through it all.

What one is contented with also matters, contentment WITH godliness is great gain.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 5:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
Image123:

What one is contented with also matters, contentment WITH godliness is great gain.

That should go without saying I would assume.

If the popular mog's know and believe this, they won't be lying on Facebook that they don't ask for seeds or donations when the reality in their churches is that they routinely ask, cajole, encourage and subtly threaten folks to sow seeds and pay money into their accounts.

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 5:31pm On Aug 20, 2014
Candour:

That should go without saying I would assume.

If the popular mog's know and believe this, they won't be lying on Facebook that they don't ask for seeds or donations when the reality in their churches is that they routinely ask, cajole, encourage and subtly threaten folks to sow seeds and pay money into their accounts.
That's correct i suppose, if they are lying that is.

Also Paul didn't let it go without saying. For instance, there are genuine christians that are contented with mediocrity, some are contented with sickness, some are contented with poverty, others are contented with a life without victory over sin.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 5:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
Image123:
That's correct i suppose, if they are lying that is.

Of course the particular mog you quoted told a blatant lie.

Also Paul didn't let it go without saying. For instance, there are genuine christians that are contented with mediocrity, some are contented with sickness, some are contented with poverty, others are contented with a life without victory over sin.

See the scripture you quoted partially

1 Timothy 6:6-8 KJV
But godliness with contentment is great gain. [7] For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. [8] And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

When Paul mentioned contentment, he said it with the knowledge that we all came naked and empty with nothing and will go back naked, empty and surely carry nothing out. No matter how rich, healthy or poor and sick you are, you'll not go back with wealth or neither will you go with poverty or sickness because your physical body knows nothing anymore

I hope you believe him

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
Candour:

Of course the particular mog you quoted told a blatant lie.

See the scripture you quoted partially

1 Timothy 6:6-8 KJV
But godliness with contentment is great gain. [7] For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. [8] And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

When Paul mentioned contentment, he said it with the knowledge that we all came naked and empty with nothing and will go back naked, empty and surely carry nothing out. No matter how rich, healthy or poor and sick you are, you'll not go back with wealth or neither will you go with poverty or sickness because your physical body knows nothing anymore

I hope you believe him

Oh if you're speaking of Oyedepo tongue in cheek, i take him as a believer and i take you as one too. Of course, i do not believe your word above his, there is a process for that. i hope you understand this scriptural basics?
On contentment, maybe next time you can quote the whole chapter or book so that it is not a partial quote and that way, we all get the context.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 6:13pm On Aug 20, 2014
Image123:

Oh if you're speaking of Oyedepo tongue in cheek, i take him as a believer and i take you as one too. Of course, i do not believe your word above his, there is a process for that. i hope you understand this scriptural basics?
On contentment, maybe next time you can quote the whole chapter or book so that it is not a partial quote and that way, we all get the context.

It makes no difference what you chose to believe. My position or yours won't change the reality on ground and surely won't stop all LFC ministers from asking, soliciting and cajoling members to sow seeds next Sunday service.

See the continuation of the scripture I quoted earlier

1 Timothy 6:9-11 KJV
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. [10] For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. [11] But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Hope this enables you make sense of it now?

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 6:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
Candour:

It makes no difference what you chose to believe. My position or yours won't change the reality on ground and surely won't stop all LFC ministers from asking, soliciting and cajoling members to sow seeds next Sunday service.

But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. [10] For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. [11] But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

and also my addition:
But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after keeping self under control and restrain from slapping uninformed young girl(s)

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 6:56pm On Aug 20, 2014
Candour:

lol, in all of God's grace, i probably made sense of the passage by His Holy Spirit long time ago. You're one funny bunch.

Still hoping to read the relevance of this thread to the everyday christian here in Nigeria. All the reference to fossils and almost dead men or largely unknown are AT BEST beating about the bush with a capital A on aimless.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 9:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
Image123:
lol, in all of God's grace, i probably made sense of the passage by His Holy Spirit long time ago. You're one funny bunch.

Pls keep up the sense making. Its good for your well being

Still hoping to read the relevance of this thread to the everyday christian here in Nigeria. All the reference to fossils and almost dead men or largely unknown are AT BEST beating about the bush with a capital A on aimless.

That puts you on the most aimless quest I've ever come across. You claim a thread is aimless yet your itchy fingers keep betraying you into the fray of an 'aimless' thread. You need help my friend. Very serious help

5 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 9:07pm On Aug 20, 2014
[size=16pt]MY SUBMISSION ON F12: Fake healing schools[/size]

Galatians 5:7-9 shows how false teaching can affect everyone: "You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough."

Elixir for all ailments?
Because many Christians are looking for panacea to their problems anything offered as a ‘cure-it-all’ (cure-all) is readily grabbed by them without any effort to see how much such a ‘solution’ is in line with the Word of God. Unless the Christian settles it in his heart once and for all that every doctrine or practice offered to him as coming from God must be measured against the Word of God and that if such a practice or doctrine is not in line with the Word it must be disregarded or considered secondary to the Word, then anything goes. Unfortunately the word of 2 Timothy 4: 3-4 seem to ring through today throughout the church: "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths."

It’s homegrown; it’s exiting?
I believe the truth about healing schools of the WoF movement is clearly exemplified in the Christ Embassy Church a.k.a. Believers Love World. I could have given a couple of personal examples known to me but I think that in order not to reinvent the wheel an article that gives this picture which incidentally was put on NL is presented again below.

The title is: The Truth About Christ Embassy Healing School by SirJohn(m): Nov, 2008.
"
Many have wondered and would like to know the truth about healing and miracle claims from the healing school of Christ Embassy. I’d like say a few things about the genuineness of these miracles which have sparked endless questions. What I’m about to say may sound shocking to you but it is the truth. it is a first hand account of my experience at the healing school.

What you see on loveworld videos/TV, especially miracle testimonies no matter how believable they appear, are simply what Pastor Chris and his TV crew wants you to see. The truth is that a larger number of people including his pastors, partners and even you hardly ever know what goes on behind the camera scenes.

I was at healing school May 2008 session and the discoveries I made blew my mind and shook the very foundation of my faith. I spent a total of 4 weeks at the healing (it had two sessions and each ran for two weeks) this period of time at the healing school afforded me the opportunity to observe certain unusual happenings which I must reveal.

I have been a member and a consistent financial partner of the ministry since 2004. Pastor Chris Oyakhilome had been my role model, mentor, prophet and father. I have followed his teachings and doctrines to the letter so much that you couldn't talk with me for 10 Min's without knowing I was his follower.
I had taken someone who was wheelchair bound as a result of spinal cord injury to the Healing school with hope that Pastor Chris would minister to him at the end of the session (at least this is what I was made to believe from several healing school publications) but this was not to be, and the events that followed were shocking and beyond my imagination.

After the first session, there was to be a healing service where the students having received faith to be healed, were put on the healing line to be ministered to by Pastor Chris. This was where my questions started. The reason is that not only did we not make it to the healing line but several other folks with obvious physical disabilities were also not put on the healing line. I made efforts to find out the criteria for the selection that was made; this was what I found out:
I discovered that all wheelchair cases taken to the healing line for ministration were people whose conditions were not such that they couldn't stand or walk. in other words, the people you see popping out of wheelchairs in those videos can both previously stand and walk. They are carefully selected through a process I will discuss later.

Secondly, to my utter amazement, I also discovered that several other people whom I had seen on different occasions walking around the hall unaided and without any sign of pain or disability during the two weeks session were put on wheelchairs or made to lie on stretchers during this healing service.
After much waiting, the “Man of God” walks in touching every one on the healing line and then proceeds to the wheelchair section; with one touch here and there he instructs them to get up “and they do” wild shouts of excitement reverberated across the auditorium as partners and pastors who have been specially invited to witness the miracles jumped for joy. I felt like sinking through the solid ground, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Once in a while I would utter a word of prayer, I’d say: “Lord please don’t let this be what I think”

I remember a particular man who came for that session; he had been involved in a motor accident which left him with a spinal injury. He had difficulty walking normally because he couldn’t bend both knees while walking (I had seen him walking) he came with a neck guard and two crutches to support himself properly while walking. I observed that two days after coming to the healing school, he started exercising his faith by moving around without the neck guard and crutches, that was how he moved around for two weeks. During the healing service, I was shocked to see the same man with his neck guard and crutches which he hadn't used for two weeks. Pastor Chris prayed for him and took the neck guard off as though it was a big deal, the congregation applauded and stood to their feet as he went on to take the crutches from the man; he then asked the man to walk. The man obviously walked but not any better than he had walked for two weeks without Pastor Chris praying for him.

After the service, as the partners left the hall, the students and the “healed” were asked to wait behind. I observed that one of the two ladies who got out of the wheelchair half an hour ago quietly sat back in her wheelchair with a pale look on her face, the people who brought her all the way from Benin didn't seem like they had seen a miracle; this puzzled me more. The borrowed wheelchairs were returned to the real owners as I looked with great surprise.

Please see the link below:
http://www.christembassyhealingschool.org/new/images/pdf/August2008.pdf
the lady in page 14 (in blue jacket) is the one I'm refering to in the last paragraph. She could both stand and walk before the ministration by Pastor Chris.

The young man in page 15 is reported to have been "unable to walk without a walking frame" yet I had seen him on many ocassions before the healing service walk around without that frame.

The woman in page 16 did not even come to the healing school with a wheelchair; the wheelchair you see does not belong to her

To be continued… "

For the complete link go to:

https://www.nairaland.com/193649/truth-christ-embassy-healing-school

What is our safeguard?
Many more of such experiences abound. The pertinent questions include the following: How come there is the need to have a ‘school’ for divine healing?
Where in the Bible can we find even an example of this not to talk of a command to institute a thing like this?
How did the apostles heal; is this new trend in line with how they did theirs?
Did the apostles not demonstrate the power to heal with of without the recipients being ‘schooled’ in anything before being healed?
How come whereas several healings in Scripture were not predicated on the recipients’ ‘faith’ today’s ‘healers’ claim that where healing does not take place it is because of ‘lack of faith’?

Unfortunately, like in the media world, the cases of failure which far exceed the successes are never made public to warn others. Only the few “success stories” are publicized.

Because the written Word of God is NOT regarded by the WoF movement as the basis for objective truth, subjectivism reigns supreme as a result anything goes.

The Christian must not be afraid to look at any trend carefully in the light of the Word of God. Only the Bible gives the final word on any matter or issue, therefore the Christian must ‘test every spirit’ with the Word of God. Only then can he hope to escape error or outright deception.

I REST MY CASE ON F12, FOR NOW.

5 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by RedReact: 8:48am On Aug 21, 2014
Gracious greetings to my elders here.

While I may relate with what Image was trying to infer here and I understand what he meant by that "caveat", I will really say the root lies in the practices in our churches.

However, what Candour said is nothing but the truth. I have witnessed some myself, but not of his own degree.
Like it was said earlier, CONTENTMENT is a very important virtue that is being eroded quickly in Christendom today, and that is why some practices are still done.

5 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nora544: 9:05am On Aug 21, 2014
This healing miracles are a big Fake.

I know from a study from an University about prayer and healing and they show that it didnot work. When I have time I will give you the Information about this University study from America.

I see a TV Documentation about a nigerian pastor Fireman . he likes yellow big cars, how he make it and that the ill person was a worker in his church.

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
Candour:

Pls keep up the sense making. Its good for your well being

That puts you on the most aimless quest I've ever come across. You claim a thread is aimless yet your itchy fingers keep betraying you into the fray of an 'aimless' thread. You need help my friend. Very serious help

Beat it abeg.
Also, remember this is a forum. i can help re-channel aimlessness to productivity, you now understand i'm sure.
If it doesn't fly past your ego, i'll give you a parable.
Psalms 72:18 Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.

Christian X said it is ONLY God that does wondrous things, nobody else. He of course brings a couple of passages to pad his doctrines and scorn others.
Christian Y said it is God does ONLY wondrous things, nothing else. He of course brings a couple of passages to pad his doctrines and scorn others.
Christian Z said God to do wondrous things in his life and gets that.
go figure
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Please understand that of all the 20 points enumerated for discussion, none of them is overtly concerned with the practices in WOF churches. If practices are discussed on the thread, they must have been an aside, like Candour "revelation" above. If we are to discuss the atrocities going on in these churches, 100 pages of nl will not be sufficient. Its however not surprising that these things are happening in these churches; when doctrine is wrong practices will be warped too. When doctrines are demonic, practices will be outrightly satanic.

Stay tuned...

almost forgot to say on this above. These are either meaningless combination of letters or outright lies of convenience.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2014
Image123:

Beat it abeg.
Also, remember this is a forum. i can help re-channel aimlessness to productivity, you now understand i'm sure.

Rechannel this thread?? Of course you've tried every ignominious trick in your arsenal to do that but it just refuses to go your way. I'm sorry to disappoint you again, this thread has gone beyond your ability to redirect, rechannel or derail.

Meanwhile, if you like, keep wandering aimlessly on a thread you so passionately despise and label 'aimless'. The joke's fully on you.

Psalms 72:18 Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who only doeth wondrous things.

Christian X said it is ONLY God that does wondrous things, nobody else. He of course brings a couple of passages to pad his doctrines and scorn others.
Christian Y said it is God does ONLY wondrous things, nothing else. He of course brings a couple of passages to pad his doctrines and scorn others.
go figure

I guess this part of your post applies firmly to you since your favourite pastime is twisting and bending scriptures out of shape. Also with your penchant for playing the ostrich, I implore you to make use of your own advice before dishing them out.

If only you understand half of the scriptures you put out, I guess you'll find some peace.

3 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 12:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
Candour:

Rechannel this thread?? Of course you've tried every ignominious trick in your arsenal to do that but it just refuses to go your way. I'm sorry to disappoint you again, this thread has gone beyond your ability to redirect, rechannel or derail.

Meanwhile, if you like, keep wandering aimlessly on a thread you so passionately despise and label 'aimless'. The joke's fully on you.

I guess this part of your post applies firmly to you since your favourite pastime is twisting and bending scriptures out of shape. Also with your penchant for playing the ostrich, I implore you to make use of your own advice before dishing them out.

If only you understand half of the scriptures you put out, I guess you'll find some peace.
have the last say, you deserve it.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by DrummaBoy(m): 1:19pm On Aug 21, 2014
Image123:

Beat it abeg.

go figure
Image123:

almost forgot to say on this above. These are either meaningless combination of letters or outright lies of convenience.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 2:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
Image123:
have the last say, you deserve it.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 5:14pm On Aug 21, 2014
trustman: [size=16pt]MY SUBMISSION ON F12: Fake healing schools[/size]

Galatians 5:7-9 shows how false teaching can affect everyone: "You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough."

Elixir for all ailments?
Because many Christians are looking for panacea to their problems anything offered as a ‘cure-it-all’ (cure-all) is readily grabbed by them without any effort to see how much such a ‘solution’ is in line with the Word of God. Unless the Christian settles it in his heart once and for all that every doctrine or practice offered to him as coming from God must be measured against the Word of God and that if such a practice or doctrine is not in line with the Word it must be disregarded or considered secondary to the Word, then anything goes. Unfortunately the word of 2 Timothy 4: 3-4 seem to ring through today throughout the church: "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths."

What is our safeguard?
Many more of such experiences abound. The pertinent questions include the following: How come there is the need to have a ‘school’ for divine healing?
Where in the Bible can we find even an example of this not to talk of a command to institute a thing like this?
How did the apostles heal; is this new trend in line with how they did theirs?
Did the apostles not demonstrate the power to heal with of without the recipients being ‘schooled’ in anything before being healed?
How come whereas several healings in Scripture were not predicated on the recipients’ ‘faith’ today’s ‘healers’ claim that where healing does not take place it is because of ‘lack of faith’?

Unfortunately, like in the media world, the cases of failure which far exceed the successes are never made public to warn others. Only the few “success stories” are publicized.

Because the written Word of God is NOT regarded by the WoF movement as the basis for objective truth, subjectivism reigns supreme as a result anything goes.

The Christian must not be afraid to look at any trend carefully in the light of the Word of God. Only the Bible gives the final word on any matter or issue, therefore the Christian must ‘test every spirit’ with the Word of God. Only then can he hope to escape error or outright deception.

I REST MY CASE ON F12, FOR NOW.

Are you against fake healing schools or against healing school? They are two different things i think. Or it's simply the name it is called that bugs you?
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 10:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
Image123:

Are you against fake healing schools or against healing school? They are two different things i think. Or it's simply the name it is called that bugs you?

Only the Bible gives the final word on any matter or issue, therefore the Christian must ‘test every spirit’ with the Word of God. Only then can he hope to escape error or outright deception.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nannymcphee(f): 6:56am On Aug 22, 2014
Image123: David Oyedepo Ministries International Inc says
CAUTION!!!
Please know that this ministry or the Bishop or
Pst. Mrs. Faith Oyedepo will NEVER ask you to
"sow seeds", or "give to an orphanage" or pay
into an account.

This is not a lie please, this disclaimer is for people who watch or know them via the media, Internet, tv etc

The reason being certain people duplicate their media pages & solicit for funds, every major ministry has such disclaimer too

It doesn't mean they don't talk about sowing seeds in their churches. To buttress my point, have u heard bishop oyedepo or pst Chris, soliciting for funds on Facebook or ur local tv?

You only find that within their service as explained by one of the posters

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nora544: 7:41am On Aug 22, 2014
nannymcphee:

This is not a lie please, this disclaimer is for people who watch or know them via the media, Internet, tv etc

The reason being certain people duplicate their media pages & solicit for funds, every major ministry has such disclaimer too

It doesn't mean they don't talk about sowing seeds in their churches. To buttress my point, have u heard bishop oyedepo or pst Chris, soliciting for funds on Facebook or ur local tv?

You forgot Adeboye who told his followers that he need money that he can build his new big church and that it is mandatory to build this church.
he is not better than oyedepo and pst chris and all the other ones.

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 8:58am On Aug 22, 2014
nannymcphee:

Very true because of your reason below.

@the bolded. God bless you. The bolded is the only reason and it makes perfect sense because if someone is scammed in the process of doing business with you, the likely hood of them coming back to you will reduce. Ask banks and other companies in the service industry.

Though people like apostle Suleiman devotes at least 5mins of his 30minute programme on ACBN to request and plead for seeds (infact the last time I watched him, he needed 500million as God had mandated him to save a billion souls worldwide). Watch ACBN which concentrates on ministries in Nigeria and Ghana to see hustlers merchandising Christianity. Not to even mention folks like Benny hinn, Rod Parsley, Creflo Dollar and other big foreign ministries.

@the bolded, God bless you again. In fact the entire prosperity gospel survives on 'seed faith' preaching and money donations to 'churches' and this is the point I was interested in making.

Very correct. YOU FIND IT EVERY DAY THEY HAVE A SERVICE

Thanks for shedding more light on this issue and clearing the grey areas. My issue was with the picture being painted that they don't even request seeds from their members.

4 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by nannymcphee(f): 9:48am On Aug 22, 2014
nora544:

You forgot Adeboye who told his followers that he need money that he can build his new big church and that it is mandatory to build this church.
he is not better than oyedepo and pst chris and all the other ones.

You're missing the point, I'm not here to make comparisons, the Man you just mentioned talked about the building project during a camp meeting, ie he was talking to his members

What the disclaimer means is, u won't find them asking for funds from non ministry members or from avenues not restricted to their congregation

Some folks hearing about this project, will begin to setup Facebook pages, bbm, what app etc to solicit for funds

This is what the disclaimer is for & the objective of my post was to point this out & not on whether the practice of soliciting for funds from the members was wrong or right
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Image123(m): 10:05am On Aug 22, 2014
nannymcphee:

interesting. At least you had the love to put yourself in the shoes as against railing accusation.
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by therealMcCain: 10:43am On Aug 22, 2014
DrummaBoy:

Candour:

trustman:

BabaGnoni:

Matt25:40-45
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me

Proverbs 28:27
He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse

Proverbs 22:22
22 Rob not the poor, because he is poor: neither oppress the afflicted in the gate:
23 For the LORD will plead their cause, and spoil the soul of those that spoiled them

Proverbs21:13
13 Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard

Psalms 41:1-4
1 Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
2 The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.
3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness

my question is: the Christian who decides to act on the above scriptures not becos of Gods love but becos he doesn't want the bad things spoken in them to happen to him, will he get the promises/blessings attached to this scriptures

Note:
1.no other conditions were attached, so if you do this, you get this or this will happen
2.the proverbs & psalms scriptures covers both believers & unbelievers

pls I know the motive for a Christian to give ought to be out of love & nothing else but should a Christian give based on the promises/outcome of the above scriptures, will he/she get what was promised??
Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by mbaemeka(m): 12:19pm On Aug 22, 2014
^^^^

By faith we understand that God is a REWARDER of those that DILLIGENTLY seek him.

He that sows sparingly will reap sparingly.

God doesn't take care of just our spirits: he is interested in our Souls and Bodies as well. Many of the smooth-talkers above "may" have received a new Spirit from God but they sure haven't made him the God of their Soul and Bodies. This is the simple explanation for their incessant bickering on Seeds and Miracles.

They have no God over their mouths, hands or money- God is only there to ensure they make heaven. Yet these same lot will have you believe that you are serving God as though he is a money-doubler, yet the same scriptures that tell us contentment tell us about God's ability and willingness to do 'exceedingly abundantly above all we can ASK or THINK'.

If God is the 'God of my life' he ought to (in the same vein) be the God of my money too- which means I should put him first. This is indeed what Jesus meant by seeking God's righteousness (Jesus) and his kingdom first and then having our 'hearts desires' added to us as a bonus.

Beware of those who advice you to 'speak any how' and 'hold your money back' when it pertains to God's work. They speak evil against authorities and break ranks. Many of them are rebels in the house of God.They may have the flesh of Esau but it's really the voice of Jacob.

Beware of Dogs! For they are not outside the church but inside.

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by DrummaBoy(m): 1:29pm On Aug 22, 2014
therealMcCain:

my question is: the Christian who decides to act on the above scriptures not becos of Gods love but becos he doesn't want the bad things spoken in them to happen to him, will he get the promises/blessings attached to this scriptures

For what other reason should a Christian give than the love of God within? Shall a giving truly be called "Christian" if the underlying motive is to get? Does scripture teach a "giving to get" sort of Christianity?

Your questions reveal more and more the mindset that this thread is aiming to correct. If you read the second chapter of Colossians, you will notice that Paul was addressing this sort of challenge:

NIV:See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ - Col 2:8

He goes unto to explain what these deceptive philosophies consisted of. They were a system of do's and don'ts that when adhered to will yield certain results. They are not depending on Christ who runs the universe and specifically the Christian's life by his Will and Plans, and not based on what the believer does or does not do.

These vain philosophies found expression in Gnosticism in those days. We find them in WOF today.

Why should the Christian give? He gives bc the love of God is shed abroad in his heart. This love compels actions which could include giving. Sure, the promises of scripture shall be fulfilled in him in that by giving he would be blessed. But giving to be blessed is not the motive. The Christian that does not give may not know the blessing in a similar manner but even that itself should be left to the Savior to judge and not any of us.

God alone knows how many Christians are burnt out and discouraged bc God was sold to them as one who multiplies funds that they give. At the end, no fund no multiplication. God is not a magician. Scripture is not vain philosophy.

I leave your question to others to add to it...

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by Candour(m): 2:31pm On Aug 22, 2014
therealMcCain:

Matt25:40-45
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me

God bless you for this scripture. You have to wonder why our rich mega churches that seek every avenue to display and boast about their riches never take the time to emphasize this express message from Christ himself to their members. Its so important to him that he attached eternity to it. See John explain it

1 John 3:17 KJV
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

1 John 4:20 KJV
If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

If you do not give out of love, then you're simply not a child of God. Simple.

Proverbs 28:27
He that giveth unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hideth his eyes shall have many a curse

Proverbs 22:22
22 Rob not the poor, because he is poor: neither oppress the afflicted in the gate:
23 For the LORD will plead their cause, and spoil the soul of those that spoiled them

Proverbs21:13
13 Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard

Psalms 41:1-4
1 Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
2 The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the earth: and thou wilt not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.
3 The LORD will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing: thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness

Note:
1.no other conditions were attached, so if you do this, you get this or this will happen

pls I know the motive for a Christian to give ought to be out of love & nothing else but should a Christian give based on the promises/outcome of the above scriptures, will he/she get what was promised??

See the first chapter of proverbs

Proverbs 1:1-4 KJV
The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel; [2] To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; [3] To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; [4] To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

The wise king was only giving words of wisdom to humanity on how to have a productive life. The hindus have even had it coded in their law of karma 1000 years before solomon penned his proverbs. You even said rightly that it applies to both believers and non believers. If you treat people well, particularly the needy, you can expect good yourself. Even the golden rule spoken by Christ affirms this

Matthew 7:12 KJV
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

He even explained that its what all the law of Moses and the prophets were about.

You might get blessings in your life but not because God is happy with you or because he is related to you, it'll simply be because he's merciful

Matthew 5:45 KJV
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Any 'blessing' you get as a wicked sinister giver is out of God's mercy which he shares to the world. Just count yourself lucky.

Actually, the dogs are those who give to the poor for reasons other than altruistic considerations. God is love and if you're naming the name of Christ, every act of yours should be from love. The Christians in acts 2&4 show us this. They gave from a heart of love yo meet the Real Needs of less privileged among them . Mercenaries and dogs will of course be blinded to this true and commendable acts. They only give then buy a calculator to start calculating returns.

Also, every collection Paul requested from the churches were strictly for the poor and needy. Read the following scriptures to confirm

Acts 11:29-30, Rom 15:24-27, 1Cor 16:1-3, 2Cor 9:1-13, Gal 2:10

Money, materials in the new testament always flowed from those who have to those who need. Any other style is against the principle the early church practiced, it's against the lifestyle of Christ and its against simple morality.

See another advice from Solomon

Proverbs 22:16 KJV
He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want.

Its only a dog and a thief that will tell the poor to give to the rich.

WHEN YOU GIVE TO THE NEEDY, YOU'RE ACTUALLY PUTTING GOD FIRST IN YOUR LIFE. (Matt 25:35-45)

God bless you plenty bro

2 Likes

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by BabaGnoni: 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
therealMcCain:

My question is:
the Christian who decides to act on the above scriptures not becos of Gods love
but becos he doesn't want the bad things spoken in them to happen to him,
will he get the promises/blessings attached to this scriptures

Note:

pls I know the motive for a Christian to give ought to be out of love & nothing else
but should a Christian give based on the promises/outcome of the above scriptures, will he/she get what was promised??

There is more than meet the eyes, as scriptures are not that easy, as we think, given to manipulation, so that Christians or whoever, can get the promises/blessings attached to them.

Scriptures essentially, are objects which operate in either public, protected or private capacities.
The efficacy of scripture and the actualisation of a verbalism of it depends on:

- the state of mind (e.g. done not because of Gods love etc) and position
- how/where in particular such scripture is accessed (e.g. is it public, protected or private, and where in relation to it, is the Christian calling it)
- depends on what is written to happen in the called scripture's function (i.e. do this, if a certain condition is met, else, do here, if condition isn't met)

So simply replied, might get some promises/blessings, might not get some promises/blessings and might not get any at all.

It should be based on the former (i.e. ought to be out of love) and with duty, added by me

The love you referred to, actually is not any of the other love we're accustomed to or familiar with
(e.g. not eros - physical/emotional/romance/sexual love, not phileo - friendship love and not storge - family/brotherly love)
but it is the AGAPE love, which is an unconditional love with a "spiritual" connotation attached
(i.e. meaning without any of the "do this, if a certain condition is met, else, do here, if condition isn't met" attached to it)

The love chapter (i.e. 1 Corinthians 13:1-13) has detailed information on Agape love

Three things will last forever, namely faith, hope, and love
- and the greatest of these is love (i.e. Agape love)

1 Like

Re: Word Of Faith - The Movement's Doctrine And Proponents by trustman: 8:58pm On Aug 22, 2014
mbaemeka:

God doesn't take care of just our spirits: he is interested in our Souls and Bodies as well. Many of the smooth-talkers above "may" have received a new Spirit from God but they sure haven't made him the God of their Soul and Bodies. This is the simple explanation for their incessant bickering on Seeds and Miracles.
Can godly Christians fall sick? –
Philippians 2: 25-26 “But for now I have considered it necessary to send Epaphroditus to you. For he is my brother, coworker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to me in my need. Indeed, he greatly missed all of you and was distressed because you heard that he had been ill.”

Does God have the sole prerogative to heal? –
Philippians 2: 27 “In fact he became so ill that he nearly died. But God showed mercy to him—and not to him only, but also to me—so that I would not have grief on top of grief.”

Is the motivation to give to God to be tied to reaping financial rewards? Is seed-faith in the Bible? –
Acts 20: 29-30 “I know that after I am gone fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Even from among your own group men will arise, teaching perversions of the truth to draw the disciples away after them.”
2 Corinthians 9:7 “Each one of you should give just as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, because God loves a cheerful giver.”
2 Corinthians 8:8 “I am not saying this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love by comparison with the eagerness of others.”

Can miracles be fake or be from the devil? –
2 Thessalonians 2:9 “The arrival of the lawless one will be by Satan’s working with all kinds of miracles and signs and false wonders”

They have no God over their mouths, hands or money- God is only there to ensure they make heaven. Yet these same lot will have you believe that you are serving God as though he is a money-doubler, yet the same scriptures that tell us contentment tell us about God's ability and willingness to do 'exceedingly abundantly above all we can ASK or THINK'.
Is “making heaven” less important than physical wellbeing? –
Mark 9:45-47 “If your foot causes you to sin, cut it off! It is better to enter life lame than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. If your eye causes you to sin, tear it out! It is better to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell”

If God is the 'God of my life' he ought to (in the same vein) be the God of my money too- which means I should put him first. This is indeed what Jesus meant by seeking God's righteousness (Jesus) and his kingdom first and then having our 'hearts desires' added to us as a bonus.
On God and abundance –
1 Timothy 6: 6-10 “ Now godliness combined with contentment brings great profit. For we have brought nothing into this world and so we cannot take a single thing out either. But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that. Those who long to be rich, however, stumble into temptation and a trap and many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all evils. Some people in reaching for it have strayed from the faith and stabbed themselves with many pains.”

Beware of those who advice you to 'speak any how' and 'hold your money back' when it pertains to God's work. They speak evil against authorities and break ranks. Many of them are rebels in the house of God.They may have the flesh of Esau but it's really the voice of Jacob.
On speaking evil against authorities and breaking ranks
- What is evil?
- Should ‘works of darkness’ be exposed?

Evil is first and foremost the policy (the overall plan and definite course of action) of Satan. Legalism, (excessive conformity to law or rules – dos and don’ts), socialism, communism, etc fall into this. It is the thinking of Satan as opposed to the mind of Christ – the Bible truths about God’s own policy.
Colossians 2: 8 – “Be careful not to allow anyone to captivate you through an empty, deceitful philosophy that is according to human traditions and the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.”
On the other hand God’s policy toward man is always GRACE.

The Bible enjoins Christians to take hard stance on occasions –
2 John 1: 10-11 “If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house and do not give him any greeting, because the person who gives him a greeting shares in his evil deeds.”
Jude 3b – “that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints”

Beware of Dogs! For they are not outside the church but inside.
What are the characteristics of dogs?
Who best exemplify such today?
Do the WoF proponents best fit into these?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

COZA Church Gifts Widows Materials (Photos) / Why Are Yorubas Few In The Roman Catholic And Also Few Yoruba Revd Fathers? / Pastor Dele Taiwo And Doyin His Wife Welcome Their First Child (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.