Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,404 members, 7,836,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work (28800 Views)

The One Word That Kills Adult Friendships / Friendships With Opposite Sex In Marriage / (ladies) Why Are Most Female Friendships Short Lived? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Guidette(f): 5:24pm On Jun 29, 2014
Okay i amjust going to say it. Yes! I amquite shallow in terms of looks and who
I am attracted to have a relationship with. My best friend is good looking but doesnt do anything for me in terms of sexual attraction. We have our common interests and has always been the only person who understands me inside out. But i repeat, i amnot attracted to him. How hard is it for people to understand that. angry

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 29, 2014
shaggy007: You guyz have made very nice points. But let me tell you what is really going on. Guys don't change, girls don't change. They are simply being their true selves.

Why I emphasized oh the word "true" is because most people lead fake lives. No woman will want to be a friend with a brokeass, ugly, unintelligent mofo. Like wise, no guy will want to be friends with the same type of girl (brokeass, ugly...).

Now, in order to balance the equation, guys pretend to be whom they are not...prince charming, gentleman, rich...blablabla...
And girls pretend to be what they are not...golden girls, with wide hips and full b00bs, speak in a weird accent, try to belong...blablabla.

When push comes to shove, everyone will go back to being him/Herself...The inconsiderate sex-starved, money hungry...blablabla person that they are.

I dont know why people pretend to be who/what they are not, just to be accepted in the society?

How long can you pretend?

Why don't you try to be your true selves and damn the consequences leading to inferiority complex.

You'll fell better that way with less and lesser headaches.

Adopted !
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by MrRenaissance: 5:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
opylas:

Wow! What's it called then? 'Respect 4 her?'

Here's wat I'm tryna say: nt a hair on ur skin felt anything thruout ur frndshp days, good. Bt wat abt her? Hw sure r u she neva felt anything? Hw sure r u d@ evn d hairs d@ wld l8r grow on her skin felt sth bfr they evn came up? Jst hw sure r u?? She myt hv felt sth bt neva did say anything cos u were 'too good' 4 her nd chickened out. She evn myt hv had many oda r'zns. Rememba we'r nt looking @ ds issue isn't guy-sided. U may hv b insensitive, u knw.

I guess m saying all ds cos I'v bn a victim, nd thr was nothing wrong wt me-I was 'mature' enough 2 hv handled things nd deciphered if twas jst me tryin 2 take advantage of d whole thing, bt bruh, it was far more dan dat. Infact, if I was 2 grade her wen we started out as friends, she'd b 2 outta 10. It jst got 2 a point I felt I had polished her well enough nd no 1 cld b more ryt 4 me. 'm sure sm guys in ds shoe wld also say dey cldn't let sm oda dude frm smwhr 'wear' d shoe dey 'polished' evn if wyl polishing, they didn't think they'd one day feel d shoe wld b their 'size' and want 2 put it on.

PS: D polishing here doesn't necessarilt mean buying her stuff or spending ur cash on her, bt increasing her values nd standard as a lady. I knw most NLanders will confuse dat, bt I trust u understnd.

@embolden, I've addressed it in my earlier posts. I explicitly wrote that if she'd developed feelings for me, I don't know and she didn't tell me. So you can't blame me.

About the 'polishing', I understood you perfectly. I also said it's possible to develop feelings for your best friend, so once that happens, the party in love should man up and open up. It saves unnecessary stress/grudges. Even if he or she turns you down, you move on with your life whilst still being friends with her. Of course it'd hurt when she leaves you for another guy/turn you down, but it's the 'mature' thing to do (I.e opening up to her). Who knows, she might even feel the same way about you. So when you feel the way you felt after 'polishing' her and felt you ought to be the one wearing the 'shoe' (her), let her know about that.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by uceee(m): 5:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
Good topic.
Most times, cross gender friendships are skewed in the girls' favour cos the guys wanna be heroes who can take care of things. It takes a really mature, nice girl to curb the guy's heroic tendencies a bit and actually contribute to the friendship, else she will just sit back and enjoy until the guy who has been performing the role of a boyfriend wants to legitimise the relationship. Some girls just feel that even allowing you to call them is a favour.
If you don't want your guy-friend to ask you out soon, don't allow him slip into the role of a boyfriend. Gently discourage it.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 5:33pm On Jun 29, 2014
Richiy:
Doesn't mean we should ignore that one.
in this case scenario,that 1 is infinitesimal
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 5:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette:
Are you telling me there are girls that you are friends with that you are not remotely attracted to? Sigh. I think it is high time i stopped explaining myself
there are,none up to 6yrs though. That is just wrong. Haba!
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by MrRenaissance: 5:35pm On Jun 29, 2014
Guidette:
Are you telling me there are girls that you are friends with that you are not remotely attracted to? Sigh. I think it is high time i stopped explaining myself
gringringrin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by niceeric(m): 5:47pm On Jun 29, 2014
girls would never b truthful wen it comes to matters like this,be friend zoning guys for selfish benefits,my advice to my guys though,dont b a nice guy,youll end up being a friend.....a comfort pillow for her wen d bad guy screws up and wen u think u av her to ur self, she makes up with d bad guy and you're bk to d zone after spending time and money on a lost cause.....stay sharp,no friends
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Richiy(f): 6:00pm On Jun 29, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
in this case scenario,that 1 is infinitesimal
You still cannot ignore that one because in larger quantity, it could be large.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by BlackBaron: 6:19pm On Jun 29, 2014
Disagree a tad with the OP. Here goes mine;
I've got 2 tier of friends...
'Close friends'
&
'Friends'

Now my 'close friends' would go the distance for likewise I for them. (lend money, pay on my behalf, advice, help do some work and so) Now I have evaluated and simply moved almost all females anda few down to tier 2 cos they'll just take the piss without offering you a commensurate effort.(not even sex)

'Friends' on the other hand I offer just about to do limited stuff for. This means out of ten requests I'll do probably 3-4.
So there goes, you can indeed be friends with...just make sure you don't get used 'because she's a girl '
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44:
You are missing the point here. This is not about relationships. This is about friendships. No strings attached

He should be the shoulder when necessary, e doesn't really ave to expect things in return. For them to even be friends, e should ave considered the fact that she is female after all and tender. He should take her shortcomings jor. If she gets hurt, of course she is gonna run to him, he is her friend. Guys are only good friends when they ave favors to ask for.

It's not about relationships, it's about being a good friend and not minding if you remain in the friend zone, did you come with a different agenda? I don't see why guys offer friendship when they want something else.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Atmmachine(m): 6:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
Girls are whores
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by chuxyz(m): 6:37pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove:
What did I write and what is this one saying?

*claps hands* Chineeeke!

See as inferiority complex dey wound you. Abeg park well and stop ranting like a hag on her period. Oyingbo motor park tout.
Oloriburuku version 2.0 na ihn you be. Bragging about your friend - a lecturer in canada. You for tell us how many cars in get and his salary so that we go clap for you. How does his occupation and location fits into the arguement or how does it give points to your statement? Olodo rabata oju eja lo mo n je... He tells you everything but ihn no gree teach you make you get small sense. Get lost! Loser
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
chuxyz:
Oloriburuku version 2.0 na ihn you be. Bragging about your friend - a lecturer in canada. You for tell us how many cars in get and his salary so that we go clap for you. How does his occupation and location fits into the arguement or how does it give points to your statement? Olodo rabata oju eja lo mo n je... He tells you everything but ihn no gree teach you make you get small sense. Get lost! Loser

You have a problem.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by defendedvictim(m): 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.
grin..d guy z in a very serious friend zone! is he married? jst joking sha. cross gender friendships r cool but SOMETYMS or most tyms, it gets awkward cos one of d parties z Nt giving in much into d friendship n d oda person feels used. d fact dat ur own cross gender friendship looks so perfect doesn't cancel out d fact dat others ain't finding it funny
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ihedinobi2: 6:54pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mr Renaissance:

@the embolden, you might be right though, but I think it's partially why. I believe another aspect is the fact that the ladies are the ones being wooed and so have more 'options' unlike the men.

the main problem is the 'mindset' the men (this topic is about men's perspective) have before being 'best friends' with the opposite gender. There'd be hurts if the guy in question had an ulterior motive of dating the girl while using the facade of 'besties' and the girl turns him down. It dumbness. Sometimes the feelings might not be there initially, but when it grows, if the guy can't suppress it, then woo her and let her know your feelings, if she says no, move on but still be her friend.

I've once been a friend with a girl, along the line I fell for her, wooed her and she turned me down. I moved on, and till now, we're good friends. So always know your priority, if it's to date her, let her know, if it's strictly platonic, you both should have it at the back of your minds.

If I bring too much to the table in a friendship and it's not reciprocated as the OP detailed out, I'll take a walk. shikena

I wonder at your terming a desire to date a lady an ulterior motive. Should one date a total stranger? What exactly is wrong with deliberately becoming besties with a girl because you already like her and would like to date her? I don't personally roll like that because once I already am romantically attracted to a girl I have no relationship with, I stay away from her. It's a discipline I built into myself to manage my sexuality properly.

Having said that, you remained good friends with her and apparently close friends too but you don't plan to date her, right? Ok, here's why I don't believe that you both have no romantic interest in her and also trust her with your deepest secrets: you don't talk to her about your wife. Or do you? I'll bet you're not married yet. The kind of friendship that has romance naturally woven into is the one where you can get emotionally and intellectually naked with someone - you can trust them with anything. It is impossible to give that kind of frienship and not get tangled up emotionally.

The problem with today's generation is the misplacement of priorities. We think that raging hormones is the first indication of romantic love. That is such a mistake. Once you are entirely naked psychologically with someone, getting naked with them physically will work beyond your expectation even though it would never be your first thought. I've seen it before. One day you have zero sexxual interest in somebody, the next you can't get enough of them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by obstead200(m): 6:56pm On Jun 29, 2014
dlux: Why be just friends when we can Bleep & still be best of friends. Ladies take it too personal. If she wants to be just friends then don't ask me to get outta line or do things your bf or husband should do.
u just summarised my entire line of thinking
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 29, 2014
Bigggg olodo you are..did you even read the post properly
Richiy: You forgot to mention the fact that most guys would not consciously appreciate that girl that goes the extra mile for them. Rather, they would go around chasing girls that have no regard for them and end up screaming that girls are heartless. Let every guy check their lives, there is always that girl that is different but they become so used to her that they put her in the background.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by obstead200(m): 7:01pm On Jun 29, 2014
yeyenatu:

He should be the shoulder when necessary, e doesn't really ave to expect things in return. For them to even be friends, e should ave considered the fact that she is female after all and tender. He should take her shortcomings jor. If she gets hurt, of course she is gonna run to him, he is her friend. Guys are only good friends when they ave favors to ask for.

It's not about relationships, it's about being a good friend and not minding if you remain in the friend zone, did you come with a different agenda? I don't see why guys offer friendship when they want something else.
Please go back to sleep. Cos u just woke up in Jupiter.
What a load of bullcrap u are spewing outta Ur lips!!
I can sense the density and smell the odour of selfishness in Ur post.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
obstead200:
Please go back to sleep. Cos u just woke up in Jupiter.
What a load of bullcrap u are spewing outta Ur lips!!
I can sense the density and smell the odour of selfishness in Ur post.

Ermm. Smh. Hehehehe... people and their verbal attacks. clap for yourself, you just made an impression. I'm a new leaf now *sighs* ..actually my bad, I didn't read all. cheesy

BTW @op: you really shouldn't generaliZe. Some times guys take a gift as a gesture of something else. Thats why when I am with my friends, mostly male, they see me as one of the 'guys'. I am even the one to tease them about girls and our 'packages'. I do know how to fix a flat, and paint my house and help with furniture. Buh he is my friend, and he needs to say something to me if he doesn't feel comfortable. I do, if my guy friends mess up, I tell them so e should do te same and not act up on me. But I get your point, there is nothing wrong with hosting the guys, drinks and pepper soup under the moonlight while 'olamide' sings his good nansense from the speakers.

Ladies, try to appreciate the men in your life. Regardless of ow useful they are. Even the lazy ones can turn out useful one day.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by lionsgate: 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44:
You are missing the point here. This is not about relationships. This is about friendships. No strings attached
it dosnt matter.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 29, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

El Oh El tongue
Every last one of you is treating these friendships like a friend-zone case.

You are Alive!! cheesy

Come Here
#Hugs Her...

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Richiy(f): 7:39pm On Jun 29, 2014
desdichando: Bigggg olodo you are..did you even read the post properly
You have absolutely no right to insult me. I did nothing to you. How do you reason?*spits*
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ayorwizz(m): 8:05pm On Jun 29, 2014
dyt babe: Holla
We them boys
Holaa holla
We making .....
*wiz khalifas voice*
We making noise....holla! Holla holla holla! Holla! *doing my crunk dance*
*fistbump* babes....u correct like nike
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by jaybee3(m): 8:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
@uju
Can you please be my friend, i don't mind being assigned the role of bed warmer tongue
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ihedinobi2: 8:12pm On Jun 29, 2014
This is a simple matter o. Girls like keeping guy bff's. So keep them. Some guys don't like keeping girl bff's. So don't. Some guys like it. So do.

If you keep guy or girl bff's and romance becomes a problem, deal with it.

If you don't and choosing a spouse becomes a problem, deal with it.

No more complaining. Case closed. angry

grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by ayorwizz(m): 8:18pm On Jun 29, 2014
Buh on a ril tho'....God punish any form of zoning sha, ontop wetin?
Plus shoutoout to dem ladies dat go "I prefer keeping male friends to female ones, dey cme wit less drama"...lol, wash.....all of us knw say na Ash*wo syndrome dey worry una
Lastly, my girl is only allowed to av 3 male besties, the father, the son and the holy spirit, shikena *in my "lock-up" face*
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2014
MOST guys would want something in return, which most times would translate into something intimate. That is the plain truth.

When a guy is really interested in being close friends with a particular girl without actually nursing any feeling of having anything intimate with her, the guy may be gay. This doesn't apply to all cases so I wouldn't generalise.

It's the plain truth.

So girls, make us your friends and worry not. cool cool
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by UjSizzle(f): 9:33pm On Jun 29, 2014
jay bee: @uju
Can you please be my friend, i don't mind being assigned the role of bed warmer tongue
I'll need to assess your physical attributes and stamina first grin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 29, 2014
D op talking, and some guys here complaining that 2 be a nice guy 2 ladies, mean ladies are bn selfish and using them, abi?? sad
Ok, see my own scenario.. Why do pple have frnds? So they can help one and another and also be a source of companionship in terms of joyful moments, or a listening 2 sad moments. Wit my female frnds, I don't av d kind of problem guyz complain about. My female frnds we help each other , in every way except having sex 2gether. They don't demand for gifts 2 appreciate their efforts. Most of my gfs, simply want u 2 be there 4 them in a very reasonable way. But wit guyz, if a guy helps u 2 change yur tyre for courtesy sake?,he prefers u pay up wit sex, that tip of money is not enough. If a guy lends u money, which u will pay back d exact amount in full, he still wants 2 either touch yur boobies or av sex or possibly a fling, but @subtle he will give u hints of such sad. Also if a guy. Also if he's yur guy frnd, and he's always available 2 listen 2 yur troubles , uv had in a day, after some few days, he expects, u shud be warming his bed, as per bn his gf.
Now if I may ask, cos I knw how many male frnds I av in d frnd zone and who helps me one way or d other.. And I usually tell most of them, Do. I nid av 2 fuvk everyone of u, so that u se me as a nice person?.. Is my frndship of no strings attached not enough??... Must I become a LovePeddler 2 make everyone of u happy?... 4 christsakes, wat do u take me 4?.. There and then, some guys will stay wit me, while some will quarrel wit me and go.. Who cares??..smh..Buck off jorr.. My toto don turn 2 charity Organization?... Abeggi..! angry

So for d upteethe time, I prefer my gfs 2 bfs.. We ladies understands ourselves. We don over demand each other time or space because u r helping.. Men stop bn selfish for once, abi, una go begin fuvk una male frnds, anytime he helps out. Be reasonable guys! angry
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by texanomaly(f): 10:30pm On Jun 29, 2014
imustsaymymindo:
well, what are friends for? But srzly, my point is that since she is older,you would have the opportunity to be on the receiving end too 2ru advice,money etc. Not u doin evryfin

Okay then... smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady To Spend 50% Of Her Salary On Her Boyfriend / Kano: Bleak Xmas For Contributors As Lady Sends Man Abroad With Their Money / Men, Why Do You Find It Hard To Post Your Girlfriend On Social Media?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.