Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work (28804 Views)

The One Word That Kills Adult Friendships / Friendships With Opposite Sex In Marriage / (ladies) Why Are Most Female Friendships Short Lived? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by slimpoppa(m): 10:48am On Jun 29, 2014
I see.
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Mynd44: 10:49am On Jun 29, 2014
Ishilove: Op, I don't know what you're talking about. One of my closest friends is a guy who I've known for 15yrs now( since secondary school). He lectures in Canada now, but not once has there ever been any awkwardness between us. There is almost nothing we can't tell each other, and never once have we ever had the issues you mentioned. He's a friend and a brother, and our friendship waxes stronger.
Is there a balance in that friendship?

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 29, 2014
Op shocked do you know what cross gender means shocked grin so who is the tranny that has been wooing mynd. You might want to rephrase your heading. Perhaps it can used in a different context. I'll find out.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by DesChyko: 10:51am On Jun 29, 2014
We all know how these threads turn out.. Guys will vindicate themselves, Girls will vindicate themselves.. The bisexuals will be stuck in between.. And the message will be ignored

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 29, 2014
Caracta: It's working for me. I must be lucky.

To each his own. I take people as individuals, I don't judge them based on what a theory says about a particular gender.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by DickDastardly(m): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd are you by any means encouraging guys not to help sisters in need? That the assistance must always be rewarded in kind? What is the world turning into? What of the part of the bible that says "give alms to the needy".
If i so wish i can sponsor a poor girl to the University and wont even think of her pants, as God's reward is the best!
Please this thread will only incite good guys to be wicked and withdraw their aid to poor girls they have hitherto helped. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by NaijaClassy(f): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2014
Hmm
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by 1stola: 10:55am On Jun 29, 2014
ERE KIN LAJA FE MA BA EKUN SE?
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Lacombre: 10:55am On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44:

This is a simple state of balance. You just said the man gives physical support and the woman gives emotional right? But what if the guys gives all the physical support and the woman gives zilch? That is when the though of being used come in
And what of cases where she gives her ''all'',only to realize ''He'' was using her to fill his void all the while?....he does not hesitate to move onto another ''friend with benefits''.
If u are in a onesided frienship,you need to be slapped back to reality. Walk away from it. If not anything,let the person serve the purpose of ''friend'' who makes your life less painful. They must not give you material things...a little word of support,encouragement,strength could go a long way.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by shaggy007(m): 10:56am On Jun 29, 2014
shaggy007: You guyz have made very nice points. But let me tell you what is really going on. Guys don't change, girls don't change. They are simply being their true selves.

Why I emphasized oh the word "true" is because most people lead fake lives. No woman will want to be a friend with a brokeass, ugly, unintelligent mofo. Like wise, no guy will want to be friends with the same type of girl (brokeass, ugly...).

Now, in order to balance the equation, guys pretend to be whom they are not...prince charming, gentleman, rich...blablabla...
And girls pretend to be what they are not...golden girls, with wide hips and full b00bs, speak in a weird accent, try to belong...blablabla.

When push comes to shove, everyone will go back to being him/Herself...The inconsiderate sex-starved, money hungry...blablabla person that they are.

I dont know why people pretend to be who/what they are not, just to be accepted in the society?

How long can you pretend?

Why don't you try to be your true selves and damn the consequences leading to inferiority complex.

You'll fell better that way with less and lesser headaches.

Fo sho. No matter how you pretend, your tire color will still show.

Take an instance of those ugly ladies that go for reconstructive surgery. They look very beautiful and sexy after the surgery. But what happen when they get married and give birth?
Their true ugliness will manifest in their children.

This had led to lots of divorce and lawsuits; more pain than joy.

You can never cheat God, be yourself and be happy.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Caracta(f): 10:57am On Jun 29, 2014
satanist: grin grin grin

Yes o. Two mature adults can make things happen.

Lol @ 'cross gender'
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 29, 2014
Lmao...cross-gender sounds like trans-gender(jk) to me. Mr. Mynd_44, are you telling us something we don't know? lipsrsealed grin

Back to topic:

Personally, I've never had female friends(friendship in the context the OP is alluding), safe for my exes, and some chic who rode with my "crew" during uni days. There's a next motive involved with all the females I talk to, and I always make sure certain rules are applied, so as to make sure it stays that way, without crossing the friendship line. Perhaps, it has to do with my upbringing, outlook to life, and certain friendship rules I live by. And I believe those rules are too stringent for female folks. Friendship to me is deeper than just talking - it involves being real and loyal at all times.

Regardless, I can relate to everything the OP said. Cross-gender(trans-gender lool jk) friendships can never work in my world. And I honestly don't know how certain guys do it. Hopefully, I'll learn from the different dispositions people will post on this thread; see if I can imbibe those qualities; and try them out to check if the OP is right or wrong.

*Follows thread*
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by GoodBoi1(m): 10:58am On Jun 29, 2014
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Mynd44: 11:01am On Jun 29, 2014
DickDastardly:

Mynd are you by any means encouraging guys not to help sisters in need? That the assistance must always be rewarded in kind? What is the world turning into? What of the part of the bible that says "give alms to the needy".
If i so wish i can sponsor a poor girl to the University and wont even think of her pants, as God's reward is the best!
Please this thread will only incite good guys to be wicked and withdraw their aid to poor girls they have hitherto helped. Thanks
If you are helping someone out as a means of assistance, you should get a kick out of knowing that you are making the world a better place. I do it so I won't encurage people not to.

This is a case of you knowing the friend you so help can do a lot more than the person is doing and you just feel cheated and used. Because in friendship, it ois a two way thing. Mentorship and sponsorship is a different kettle of fish.

Hell you get tax holidays for Sponsorship (if done appropriately) but not friendship

oh and not everyone is a christian

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 29, 2014
Caracta:

Yes o. Two mature adults can make things happen.

Lol @ 'cross gender'
I actually thought ynd was refering to transgenders ay first............... well i dont have any female friends, so i cam't say........
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:06am On Jun 29, 2014
Mynd_44:
This is not about right and wrong. This about the continous programming of the mind of girls that guys won't do you a favor without wanting sex
True Talk!
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by tintingz(m): 11:06am On Jun 29, 2014
napema: Friendship between a girl and a boy doesn´t exist because one of them will need sex. grin
grin grin

Cross-gender friendship can only work out successfully without no "what-do-I-get-in-returning-thingy" is when the boy and the girl know each other right from childhood. smiley
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2014
JeffreyJamez: I can relate to this post.... And dude..... It's Spot on !!!!!

They will be "brother-zoning" "friendzoning" and "twinny-zoning"..... But guys who they consider sharp guys would be breaking their hearts and they will come running back to us.... Mcheeew...

Anyhoo...... Cross-gender friendships can work if the" giving and taking" is equal, but if it's one-sided, that's just plain evil!!!!
I kinda njoy it. I have a friend like that, we r so close that even my male friends don't believe we haven't shared something intimate. She keeps havin d wrong and bad guys around and always runs home to me for consolation. I can keep such friendships without having d mind of takin it to d 'next level'
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:07am On Jun 29, 2014
DickDastardly: Mynd are you by any means encouraging guys not to help sisters in need? That the assistance must always be rewarded in kind? What is the world turning into? What of the part of the bible that says "give alms to the needy".

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Caracta(f): 11:08am On Jun 29, 2014
satanist:
I actually thought ynd was refering to transgenders ay first............... well i dont have any female friends, so i cam't say........

We all know you are gay tongue tongue
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by xtervaganza(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2014
I don't understand why and how you think only guys want to move out of the friend zone.

I've been friends with lots of ladies who at the end of the day want to start a relationship with me, that is after countless rounds of sex.

Don't make we guys out as pervert ooooo

If I'm just a friend to u and there is no signal from u as a lady for me to push further, believe me I won't bother myself.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by dlux: 11:11am On Jun 29, 2014
Why be just friends when we can Bleep & still be best of friends. Ladies take it too personal. If she wants to be just friends then don't ask me to get outta line or do things your bf or husband should do.

3 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Emilliw3m(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2014
Op ur on point
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 29, 2014
Caracta:

We all know you are gay tongue tongue
angry shocked shocked what do you mean "WE" ........... me ? gay?. ......... NEVER!! grin
Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by UjSizzle(f): 11:13am On Jun 29, 2014
I think the problem with this post lies in assuming that material support is the most worthy thing to give a friend.
There's emotional support and loyalty, things some people hold high above other things.
So from different people, there are varying things to get. From one man I can trust to help when I have material need, from another I can count on for emotional support, and other can give me a good time when I'm bored senseless. And yet from a few I can count on to always have my back(unwavering loyalty).
Figure out what roles your friends play in your life, and stop expecting that everyone is capable of giving back as much as you are able to give so you stop feeling short changed when it doesn't happen.

5 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 29, 2014
Cross gender relationship works, if it doesnt work for you, then you need to examine your mindset and the kind of people you hang out with. As a matter of fact, my best friend is a young lady, and after my family (not even cousin), she comes next. I know all what we have been through and we both have our own different partners.

Friendship is give and take, but not giving and taking sex as return.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by lordbjizzi(m): 11:16am On Jun 29, 2014
Lacombre: A very poor attempt at trying to paint most male folks as the victims.
The male friend gives his physical support,the female her emotional support. But here it is obviously downgraded.
This is a one-sided biased myopic article...
Emotional support Permit me to ask, what exactly does that mean in the context of cross-gender friendship?

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 29, 2014
There's a reason why cross gender friendships don't work besides the invariable inbalance... There is also the problem of communication.. I for one have always had this problem, until recently, I have never bothered with female friends.. There is usually this communication gap.. When am with my homeboys for instance, we talk about football, rap music,cars, politics, chat over some bottles of beer.. But with female friends, I hardly know what to discuss... Most times, they aren't interested in wat I gotta say and I sure aint interested in theirs either... Interest is what brings people together and when such interests are lacking, people find it difficult to interact.. If you see me with a lady, its prolly because am interested in her and not just for friendship... Moreover, in most cross gender friendships, the interest is usually there, one must have friendzoned the other or that other might have feelings for the other but is sceptical about making them known.... Except the guy is gay ofcourse... Ofcourse, there are exceptions but this is what I have noticed...

7 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by elipheleh(m): 11:18am On Jun 29, 2014
i had one very good female friend back in nysc God bless her for me.
she has boyfriends and i give her advises, and she helps me to runz girls.
i lend her money, she also lends me.
i make guys jealous for her, she also make girls i had interest in jealous for me.
i take her out and pays, and she does thesame for me

Result? she was my best friend ever. distance only seperated us. i hold her in high regards. this kind of friendship no one felt used.

4 Likes

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 29, 2014
tintingz: grin grin

Cross-gender friendship can only work out successfully without no "what-do-I-get-in-returning-thingy" is when the boy and the girl know each other right from childhood. smiley

Er, can you help a brother out with this one?

I don't even see all the chics I grew with as friends. They're just acquaintances that I chat to about generic stuffs, and perhaps growing up. And the only one who tried to be "friend" ended up forcing herself to become "girlfriend" and now she's an ex-girlfriend.

Personally, I don't even think chics are loyal enough for the "friendship" role, except you're emotionally involved with them.

1 Like

Re: Why Cross-Gender Friendships Don't Work by Luvdmx(m): 11:19am On Jun 29, 2014
grin grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady To Spend 50% Of Her Salary On Her Boyfriend / Kano: Bleak Xmas For Contributors As Lady Sends Man Abroad With Their Money / Men, Why Do You Find It Hard To Post Your Girlfriend On Social Media?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.