Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677652 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:06am On Jun 27, 2015
kunzak:

what information should i present at the embassy to get information on the application as i dont have any document or remember any information on the form?

If you send us your name and date of birth, we can check our records. LagosIV@state.gov
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kunzak: 8:08am On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

We'll have records of it, but the case is now closed and your father will need to file a new petition for you. If more than a year passes with no action on a case, it is closed. If more than two years pass, we consider it "terminated" and return it to the United States for disposal.

what information do i have to provide to the embassy to retrieve details of the application ? i dont have any of the numbers and i need to get the reference number now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kunzak: 8:13am On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

If you send us your name and date of birth, we can check our records. LagosIV@state.gov

Thanks a million, there was an error in my date of birth used back then which i have now corrected . i will just send my name and the correct date of birth to you? will that be sufficient or do i need to still send the wrong date of birth used back then to get the information?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:32am On Jun 27, 2015
kunzak:

Thanks a million, there was an error in my date of birth used back then which i have now corrected . i will just send my name and the correct date of birth to you? will that be sufficient or do i need to still send the wrong date of birth used back then to get the information?

You should send both dates of birth. Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wuwu(m): 8:43am On Jun 27, 2015
Really appreciate madam..bt I'm kinda confuse..can a woman who had a baby for me out wedlock can I still marry her even after being issue my f2b visa..we aren't legally married bt she is carryin my baby can I file for her later wen I get to the usa..im on f2b category..
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 8:48am On Jun 27, 2015
wuwu:
Really appreciate madam..bt I'm kinda confuse..can a woman who had a baby for me out wedlock can I still marry her even after being issue my f2b visa..we aren't legally married bt she is carryin my baby can I file for her later wen I get to the usa..im on f2b category..

Oh, sorry, I assumed you were the mother. Oops! You cannot use the F2B visa if you are married. If you intend to use the visa, you must travel as an unmarried person, and marry her AFTER you have entered and exited the United States.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayomide21052012: 9:38am On Jun 27, 2015
This is great work ma, i am not sure if anyone had filled for me in the past when i was little but i will like to know if you have my records.

can i send my name and DOB to you now to confirm?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:45am On Jun 27, 2015
ayomide21052012:
This is great work ma, i am not sure if anyone had filled for me in the past when i was little but i will like to know if you have my records.

can i send my name and DOB to you now to confirm?

Please e-mail LagosIV@state.gov. Someone will respond to you. Remember, we get incredible amounts of e-mail, so please make sure you explain your question -- don't just send your name and date of birth, because we won't know what you want.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayomide21052012: 10:02am On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Please e-mail LagosIV@state.gov. Someone will respond to you. Remember, we get incredible amounts of e-mail, so please make sure you explain your question -- don't just send your name and date of birth, because we won't know what you want.

thanks , will i get a response today as i have to fill a form for non immigrant visa and need to state if someone had filled for me before or i can just send the details here for confirmation?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 10:29am On Jun 27, 2015
ayomide21052012:

thanks , will i get a response today as i have to fill a form for non immigrant visa and need to state if someone had filled for me before or i can just send the details here for confirmation?

You will not get a response today. Our Correspondence team will be back on Monday, and you should receive a response within a few days. Please don't post your name and date of birth here in this public forum.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by wuwu(m): 10:32am On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Oh, sorry, I assumed you were the mother. Oops! You cannot use the F2B visa if you are married. If you intend to use the visa, you must travel as an unmarried person, and marry her AFTER you have entered and exited the United States.

Really appreciate ur response..thanks ma and God bless u
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by simi2015: 11:58am On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:
[size=16pt]Oh, the sweet music of all our printers cranking away at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning![/size]

Hi Ma'am,

Please know we are grateful for the sacrifice. Thanks again to you all.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 12:10pm On Jun 27, 2015
simi2015:

Hi Ma'am,

Please know we are grateful for the sacrifice. Thanks again to you all.

No sacrifice! Just doing our job. smiley

(See, now that I've had a lot of coffee, it's all good.)

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imnuflawal: 12:58pm On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

It sounds like the best course of action is for your husband to file a separate I-130 for your child RIGHT NOW. That way, when he naturalizes, you'll become a CR1, and the child will become an IR2. If he doesn't file a petition for your child now, he'll have to do so later, and that will delay the child's immigration considerably.

If he is still a Legal Permanent Resident when you have your interview, your child can remain a derivative on your petition. But it sounds like he's going to naturalize before you come to see us.
Tnx a lot VO, rily appreciate. I guess the NVC delay is due to the computer glitch, tnk God its gettin resolved. God bless u once more
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by imnuflawal: 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2015
imnuflawal:

Tnx a lot VO, rily appreciate. I guess the NVC delay is due to the computer glitch, tnk God its gettin resolved. God bless u once more

One other question ma, do we have to go through the same lawyer handling my case in respect of my child's I-130 or we can jst go ahead nd do the filing on our own becos we might be charged again differently. If we had known about dis forum we wld av done d filling ourselves instead of payin so much to a lawyer dat we can hardly speak with. U offer much more dan wat paid for. Tnx a lot, expctin ur prompt nd concise reply.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by slightlyMad(f): 1:45pm On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

The petitioner should contact NVC and ask for the opt-out option. I'm pretty sure it has to be done before the petitioner naturalizes, though. THere's no cost, and yes, the applicant can opt back to F1 just by telling the Embassy or Consulate that the petitioner has naturalized. Not sure how long it takes for NVC to act on such requests.

You wrote, "I guess if a US citizen is also regarded as a LPR, that will be possible." U.S. citizens and Legal Permanant Residents are not overlapping categories. If someone is a citizen, he is not a Legal Permanent Resident. If someone is a Legal Permanent Resident, he is not a U.S. citizen. There's a lot of confusion about that, I think because citizens are in the United States legally -- but the term LPR only applies to someone who is not a U.S. citizen.

before the petitioner naturalizes?
if naturalizing = being a USC then
there is no way i would be in F1 in the first place, don't you think?

F1 seemed very slow around may-august and i wonder the cause?
can F1 ever turn C, because i learnt that if a category becomes current, i get invited for visa right away.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
imnuflawal:

One other question ma, do we have to go through the same lawyer handling my case in respect of my child's I-130 or we can jst go ahead nd do the filing on our own becos we might be charged again differently. If we had known about dis forum we wld av done d filling ourselves instead of payin so much to a lawyer dat we can hardly speak with. U offer much more dan wat paid for. Tnx a lot, expctin ur prompt nd concise reply.

What I'm about to say is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the stance of the U.S. Government.

You don't need an attorney. Those guys don't care if you get your visas; they just want your money. We can talk you through the process right here on Nairaland. Right, Nairalanders?

9 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:25pm On Jun 27, 2015
slightlyMad:

before the petitioner naturalizes?
if naturalizing = being a USC then
there is no way i would be in F1 in the first place, don't you think?

F1 seemed very slow around may-august and i wonder the cause?
can F1 ever turn C, because i learnt that if a category becomes current, i get invited for visa right away.

I don't think you can opt-out after the fact, but I didn't want to take away all your hope. No harm in asking NVC...

At the moment F1s that were filed on or before Sept. 1, 2007, are current, whereas F2Bs that were filed on or before Sept. 15, 2008, are current. The waiting periods shift forward or backward depending on the number of visas that have been issued worldwide in those categories at any given time. You can monitor priority dates at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/law-and-policy/bulletin.html .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by pretty16(f): 2:32pm On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

What I'm about to say is my personal opinion and in no way reflects the stance of the U.S. Government.

You don't need an attorney. Those guys don't care if you get your visas; they just want your money. We can talk you through the process right here on Nairaland. Right, Nairalanders?

That's Right Ma'am. grin

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Papiyandrix: 3:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
Good day VO...thanks for all of your help till now. I finally got a message from the tracker, "your passport is ready for pick up"...does that mean it is at the collection center already?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Please review the last couple pages of this thread. smiley We've been faced with a serious, worldwide computer issue that has affected our processing of visas. But the problems should soon be resolved......

Ma'am,
most grateful for your response,just wanted to know if
there is a need to send an email to ask if any other document is needed as the perpetual waiting on "administrative processing" after approval is nerve wrecking.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Colemaxgrl: 9:16pm On Jun 27, 2015
Papiyandrix:
Good day VO...thanks for all of your help till now. I finally got a message from the tracker, "your passport is ready for pick up"...does that mean it is at the collection center already?

Hello Papiyandrix, please can you tell when you had your interview?
Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 9:19pm On Jun 27, 2015
VisaOfficer:

Spot into!! grin

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Papiyandrix: 12:10am On Jun 28, 2015
Colemaxgrl:

Hello Papiyandrix, please can you tell when you had your interview?
Thanks!

Good morning...I had my interview on the 9th of June, 2015. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Green43: 3:22am On Jun 28, 2015
Dear VO,

I am amazed at the work you do here. A BIG thanks to you for all your help. I have been search the Internet for answers until I stumbled unto this site. My questions are regarding a fiancé visa. I am an American citizen and my fiancé is Nigerian. I will be mailing the form I-129F in a few days. Do I need to include sponsorship documents? I was in Nigeria a few months ago and will be going back in a couple of months. While I am there, will I be allowed to schedule an appointment for a visa for him? Thanks a lot for your help.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by DeophermAuto(m): 11:02am On Jun 28, 2015
Hello VO,
i want to know why my non immigration visa application to attend a business meeting in U.S. was refused. am into importation of used cars and spare parts from U.S for over 5years, i was invited by my business partner in U.S WV for a business meeting, in the day of interview the visa officer collected all my original Bill of Ladings and ask me to come back i was called four weeks later for a refusal letter.

Azeez
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:02am On Jun 28, 2015
[size=16pt]Oh, the sweet music of all our printers cranking away AGAIN, on a Sunday morning this time![/size]

We do not want to start Monday with a backlog -- we have applicants to interview, by golly.

Cue the action movie music! dah dah dah dee dee dah dum dah

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 28, 2015
Would it make it difficult to apply for an H4 visa if spouse hasn't got H1-B stamped? He got his H1-B last year. I will be attending H4 interview outside the US. Would it create any problem? Do I need to put in his F1-OPT documents too?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:04am On Jun 28, 2015
Papiyandrix:

One thing this crisis has taught me is that the tracker is not always accurate. It's probably best to call the collection center before you go. BUT, we have printed a heck of a lot of visas, so it is more likely to be true than not!

Again, this weekend and Monday ONLY, if people ask me here about status updates I'll do my best to let you know where your passport is. But please understand that I have to stop as of Monday at close of business -- it's just not an efficient use of my time. Immigrant visas only.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:05am On Jun 28, 2015
anxious:

Ma'am,
most grateful for your response,just wanted to know if
there is a need to send an email to ask if any other document is needed as the perpetual waiting on "administrative processing" after approval is nerve wrecking.

I understand. Feel free to e-mail us. It may take a couple of business days for a response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:08am On Jun 28, 2015
Green43:
Dear VO,

I am amazed at the work you do here. A BIG thanks to you for all your help. I have been search the Internet for answers until I stumbled unto this site. My questions are regarding a fiancé visa. I am an American citizen and my fiancé is Nigerian. I will be mailing the form I-129F in a few days. Do I need to include sponsorship documents? I was in Nigeria a few months ago and will be going back in a couple of months. While I am there, will I be allowed to schedule an appointment for a visa for him? Thanks a lot for your help.

Thank you for the kind words! You do need to include the I-134 affidavit of support when you submit the I-129F fiance petition. When the petition is documentarily complete and has been approved by NVC, which generally takes around six to eight months, NVC will send it to us. At that point we will contact you and give you instructions for making an appointment online.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 11:09am On Jun 28, 2015
DeophermAuto:
Hello VO,
i want to know why my non immigration visa application to attend a business meeting in U.S. was refused. am into importation of used cars and spare parts from U.S for over 5years, i was invited by my business partner in U.S WV for a business meeting, in the day of interview the visa officer collected all my original Bill of Ladings and ask me to come back i was called four weeks later for a refusal letter.

Azeez

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening . But they won't answer questions about individual refusals in a public forum. You'd do better to e-mail them at LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov, as appropriate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.