Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? (67815 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Did Messi Deserve The Golden Ball Award? / FIFA Releases World Cup Golden Ball Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39am On Jul 14, 2014
adaobi123: JAMES RODRIGUEZ SHOULD HAVE WON IT

JUST SAYING
He didn't get to the final or even the semis, so he couldn't have won it. The winner of the golden ball usually comes from either of the two finalists. The reason why it didn't come from the German team is because they were more of a team and no player stood out more than the others. That's why Messi won it. I'm surprised people are saying that he didn't score as much goals as James as if there's no award for highest goal scorer.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by kelechiMarie(f): 4:51am On Jul 14, 2014
Oahray: Messi was the best player on the field (man of the match) 4 times out of seven. Muller 2 times. Robben 3 times. James 3 times. Messi also created the most goal-scoring chances (23). With better finishers in his team, he'd have bagged the highest assists by far.

This dude was directly involved in every Argentina goal except the one by Higuain (Di-Maria's assist from a Messi pass).

The golden ball is not for the highest goal scorer, there's a golden boot for that.

The golden ball is not for a player just cos his team wins, there's a gold medal for that.

The golden ball is for the overall most influential player to team success. Messi is that player. Only James' influence is comparable, his team just wasn't successful.

Muller who?
correct me if i'm wrong but i think pirlo had the most man of the match vote at the last WC and stiil didnt win player of the tournament and to those of you comparing his world cup outing to CR7's i say there's no basis for comparism because;the argentine team as a whole was better than the portugese in terms of player quality and fitness level,one star player and some below average players cant take the team far.Secondly Portugal was in the toughest group[groupofdeath] while Argentina was in one of the easiest groups in the tournament
If we're to be sincere messi didn't play so well at this world cup,even my brother who was supporting argentina kept complaining about messi's speed,he was slower than his usual self.Giving him the golden ball is pure Ojoro,i rest my case
*********LAST BULLET;with suarez coming to barcelona one of two things will happen 1.Neymar will be sold 2.Messi's game will drop with this WC performance it just might be the latter MESSI IS A GREAT PLAYER WHO WILL BE REMEMBERED BUT HE DIDN'T DESERVE THE GOLDEN BALL and German WAGS are hot

3 Likes

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by smatadex(m): 5:07am On Jul 14, 2014
[quote author=ambrosini593]To me a hell no. Thomas Mueller deserves it than Messi. What about you?. Let's hear from you

I love T Muller more than any1 on dis forum, but when u talk abt golden ball #Robben deserve it better than any1
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by ksbusari(m): 5:08am On Jul 14, 2014
To me na compensation. Muller could av if argentina had won. Masherano was there best player self.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by tall2ce(m): 5:13am On Jul 14, 2014
it should have been given to James Rodriguez or Manuel Neuer
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by yoji: 5:19am On Jul 14, 2014
2chains1:

Dude their best player is Muller not reus. Go check last world cup (2010) Muller was the golden boot winner.
I meant going into the world cup, Marco reus was their best player. Over the past three years proceeding the world cup, reus was their best player . Am not referring to career wise otherwise u might as well bring in klinsman.
Muller is an average player who plays for a spectacular team and his efficiency is why he is there. He never quite wowed me but i respect his efficiency. Germany can do without him cos Germany is about the team not any individuals.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by isaajibola(m): 5:26am On Jul 14, 2014
#Lionel Messi is the player who created the most chances (23) and completed the most dribbles (46) in World Cup 2014

Most completed dribbles in a single World Cup (since 1966): Maradona 53* in 1986, Jairzinho 47* in 1970, Messi 46*

#Messi: "This was a chance to give the fans some joy after all the sadness. Golden Ball is not important, all I wanted was to lift the cup

#Barcelona star Lionel Messi admits being named the Player of the World Cup is a hollow feeling after Argentina's defeat …
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 5:28am On Jul 14, 2014
Afam4eva:
He didn't get to the final or even the semis, so he couldn't have won it. The winner of the golden ball usually comes from either of the two finalists. The reason why it didn't come from the German team is because they were more of a team and no player stood out more than the others. That's why Messi won it. I'm surprised people are saying that he didn't score as much goals as James as if there's no award for highest goal scorer.
True. It's tough for a player whose team didn't make the semi finals to be the golden ball winner. The odds were always stacked against James Rodriguez.

But I recall John Terry being named in the team of the tournament in 2006, despite not reaching the semis. In fact, he was the only non-semi finalist to make that all-star team.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Afam4eva(m): 5:32am On Jul 14, 2014
CFCfan:
True. It's tough for a player whose team didn't make the semi finals to be the golden ball winner. The odds were always stacked against James Rodriguez.

But I recall John Terry being named in the team of the tournament in 2006, despite not reaching the semis. In fact, he was the only non-semi finalist to make that all-star team.
Making the team of the tournament is a different team as a lot of players are chosen, so it's not strange that a few of them would not have made it to the semis. Being the best player is w different team.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Blaqsmith(m): 5:34am On Jul 14, 2014
Tunguy01: Lionel messi (aanu) again ? ..., well his name speaks 4 him cos I dnt knw why dey av 2 give dat 2 him
abeg bro,u get sagem charger? ....#TeamMessi
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by DMainMan: 5:35am On Jul 14, 2014
Richy4: For me every player did very well individually in this tournament but if they said he deserves it that is cool.

But in my personal opinion, that Brazilian that was injured and which exposed their ass on how wonderful their team were should have been my favorite.
.Neymar
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Nobody: 5:37am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi...maybe. Rodriguez... maybe
Mueller...h*ll yeah!

YeaYeaNot
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by M4gunners: 5:39am On Jul 14, 2014
Yeah he deserved it.He carrys argentina all the way to final.That alone is a big plus.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by eluquenson(m): 5:42am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi deserves it, why are people ranting muller, Muller is a goal scorer, Messi is a complete skillful player.
Argentina should blame their big names strikers like higuain & aguero for playing below average in the entire tournament.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by frebor(m): 5:46am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi won four man of the match awards, had the most dribbles of any player. Had four goals. Took his team to the final. Had the best pass accuracy of any player and the most ball possession. Didn't lose or draw a single match in the tournament, except the final, and you're telling me he didn't deserve it? There's a lot more that goes into becoming a player of the tournament than just goals and assists.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by justi4jesu(f): 5:53am On Jul 14, 2014
But how a guy like Germany's Thomas Mueller got looked over is beyond me.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by retepmurt(m): 6:00am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi was awarded man-of-the-match in the first 4 matches out of 7 matches.
He has the highest,hence the award.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by LordVoldemort(m): 6:00am On Jul 14, 2014
Infamous decision

2 Likes

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by OscarA: 6:00am On Jul 14, 2014
naijalodge: I have never seen an Award so Undeserved in my life B4..Fiffa...don't be suprised if Messi wins this Ballon D'or
Who did you think will win it. 2005 when Messi was given the best player award we complained and time has proved him. Whoever they give an award deserve it.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:04am On Jul 14, 2014
murimoney: those of u who are lamenting, lemme clear d air 4 ya. Golden ball is 4 best player of d tornament golden boot is 4 highest goal scorer. Messi was d driving force of argentina, whom still led them to d final, yes I know he didn't score any goals in d tornament. Robben played well but was a cheat all along, best diver lol. James rodriguez played his last worldcup game @ the quarter finals n he scored 6 goals which is d highest so he got his golden boot what else? Shurrle was always a subtitute, most of his goals were not vital, but his last asssist was n dat isn't enough. 4 me messi deserved it. smiley #my opinion smiley
Bro!U make no sense at all.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:07am On Jul 14, 2014
yoji:
Let's look at it this way, Germany won the world cup withoutt their best player i.e reus meaning without muller it would have made no difference. But without messi, Argentina will definitely not come near the final sef. So year he does.
U n those who dashed u likes r mumu.Don't look at d past glory in awarding best player. In d tournament.To mi oooo,Di maria is more important dan messi in d argentina team.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by mcpat(m): 6:11am On Jul 14, 2014
Fifa and blatter...cheating us since 2005
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by justi4jesu(f): 6:11am On Jul 14, 2014
If you guys understood soccer at even the most rudimentary level you would know why Messi won the golden ball.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by justi4jesu(f): 6:13am On Jul 14, 2014
Messi won because he is Messi. He won because he is a darling of FIFA. He won because his team lost the final.

1 Like

Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:13am On Jul 14, 2014
chaberry: No he doesn't deserve it, i would av prefer Arjen Robben or James Rodriguez, but looking at it from different angle he solely brought his team this far... In another news Brazil (14) goals is the highest goal conceded by any team in this worldcup, making them one of the worst defends in the mundial, infact they conceded more goals than the other three semi-finalists in the tournament(12). You're hearing it 4rm me 4 d first time, Admit it
Guy!U dey lie ooooo.Na but na still d brazil get d record.Na 15goals.1938.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by okeyokeyjah(m): 6:15am On Jul 14, 2014
undecided Go and ask google, monkey undecided
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by okeyokeyjah(m): 6:25am On Jul 14, 2014
disloman: U n those who dashed u likes r mumu.Don't look at d past glory in awarding best player. In d tournament.To mi oooo,Di maria is more important dan messi in d argentina team.
Be watching! u can't get one like for dis ur sentimental quote. somebody said his mind and u cal him mumu then y saying for u oooo? Dimaria..... tongue
disloman: U n those who dashed u likes r mumu.Don't look at d past glory in awarding best player. In d tournament.To mi oooo,Di maria is more important dan messi in d argentina team.
Be watching! u can't get one like for dis ur sentimental quote. somebody said his mind and u cal him mumu then y saying for u oooo? Dimaria.....
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:27am On Jul 14, 2014
ddippset: james rodriguez didnt go far enough to win the golden ball, he should manage the golden boot. robben was very good, great dribbling skills and great diving skills, but he didnt play in the final. muller scored a lot of goals including a hattrick against 10 man portugal and he had at least 6 other players in his squad as good as he. but messi was an impact player, decisive against iran, bosnia, iran, belgium, holland. without him argentina would have crashed out like last year but they played in the world cup final after 24 years. messi deserves his golden ball. mods- WHY IS THIS EVEN A TOPIC?
Do u watch d world cup at all?abi na complete sport u dey read?D only match I can say Messi shined was d iran n it was due to d last minute goal he scored.Messi was average in all d matches argentina played.Masherano n Di maria r d best players in their team.4get d past glory.Did u watched arg vs holland match?Who saved arg in that match?Messi wasn't in that match.Truth just av to b told.Messi was just average in this tournament.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by Reference(m): 6:30am On Jul 14, 2014
The global reaction says it all. Controversial.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by godsI(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2014
Ruben is the right person for it. I just keep wandering if Messi and Blatter are in the same Brotherhood Fraternity of Illuminati.
Re: Did Messi Deserve The World Cup Golden Ball? by disloman(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2014
okeyokeyjah: Be watching! u can't get one like for dis ur sentimental quote. somebody said his mind and u cal him mumu then y saying for u oooo? Dimaria..... tongue Be watching! u can't get one like for dis ur sentimental quote. somebody said his mind and u cal him mumu then y saying for u oooo? Dimaria.....
E bi like say u woke up frm d wrong side of d best.Guy!take am easy cos suicide is real.Its not sentiment.That's d real story.Messi is just an average player in this tournament.Shikena.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply)

John Obi Mikel Changes His Name After Nigeria Mistake 13 Years Ago / Jay Jay Okocha’s Son With AY And Nwankwo In Turkey / Barcelona Takes Down Poster Of Neymar For Betraying The Spanish Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.