Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective (20568 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by snowytee(m): 9:44am On Jul 15, 2014
TF is "I was meant to understand"?
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by VirginFinder: 9:52am On Jul 15, 2014
The Doctor is king/boss/lord in the hospital!

Why is that difficult for anyone to comprehend? angry

The only people that come close to the doctors are the pharmacists. smiley

I am sorry, any other person in the medical profession is an underdog. grin

If you want to be like a doctor, then go back to school and study medicine! grin

8 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by 5minsmadness: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2014
VirginFinder: The Doctor is king/boss/lord in the hospital!

If you want to be like a doctor, then go back to school and study medicine! grin
grin
Them go lynch you o grin
But its the brutal truth angry

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2014
[quote author=GentleMimi]Sai! Patient's perspective indeed.
I weep for this country. I've followed this strike ish for quite some time,even had a debate with some colleagues.
I read an article online abt the requests of the doctors. Nobody is disputing it. They want increase in hazard allowance to N100,000 per month,and some other things too. That is fine by us. But for NMA to boldly come out,stating it will not condone ''blackmail'' by health workers is so annoying. How does the title of ''Consultant'' result to blackmail? Is it something that has never been done before? Is it strange in other countries? Why are the doctors hell bent on being an obstacle to the progress of other health workers?
Now,back to the issue of consultant,let it be known that there are conditions attatched to the title. Medical scientists,pharmacists,nurses,physiotherapists attain educational level of Phd in their profession.
For example,a medical scientist specializes in haematology in masters and Phd level,obtains his fellows and satisfies all requirements by the MLSCN council. Why should such a fellow with vast knowledge in haematology not be allowed to consult with the patient and the patient's doctor on matters relating to haematological matters? It irks when i read some comments here.

A PHD Haematologist, can he own a patient? if the ans is "no" then, by all means leave him with his PHD the way it is, after all, Pharmacists have been brandishing B.pharm and D.pharm, NMA has never complained over that.

In terms of salary,lets have a rethink. For example,as an intern,a scientist earns N120K, a doctor/house officer earns N170K-N180. Now JOHESU requests for an increase,relative to CONMESS scale....N150/160k. Why NMA wan come get HBP on top the matter? All JOHESU is asking for is a relative increase. Peeps who are shouting abt job the rigors of the medical duty should not undermine what other health workers go through. Being on call in haematology laboratory in a teaching hospital is like being on a rollercoaster!
It is the same time too. So what is wrong abt JOHESU requesting for shift duty/call duty allowance and other special allowance.
As an intern,hazard allowance was a mere N10k. What d hell! We handle body fluids too and get exposed to all the vile things running amok.

The above is not the patient's problem kindly refer to the title of the thread

Those who want privatization of other health sectors are living in a fool's paradise. Who can afford it? Services in the health sector is highly subsidized,but still expensive for certain peeps.
Privatization will only make things worse.

Bros; you are kidding right? there is a Govt private partnership clinic in PH, Amaechi is using them for his free health care, go there and compare it with the shrines you call teaching hospitals.
Ironically, the experts there are still using Nigerian consultants till tomorrow and those guys are very good.
Now, talking about increased cost, yes it will sky rocket but almost all countries in the world operate a form of health insurance, perhaps Nigeria will go down that same route.

I don't see how difficult it will be for Govt to subsidize health care delivery in Nigeria, most states have free health care centers already.

And for the skipping of a thing,why are doctors against skipping when they are doing it? They skip from 10 to 12,we want a skip from 9 to 11. Why dem wan get headache? Lol! *SMH*
finally,on the issue of CMD,i will state here boldly that i have no qualms with doctors being the CMDs. All we ask for is professional courtsey.

The CMD issue have been dealt with and gladly you accept the superior argument of the NMA, while thanking you for your understanding, kindly refer to the thread title when next you want to skip 10 to 1million, it is of no interest to we patients.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Emilliw3m(m): 10:04am On Jul 15, 2014
What is naija turning it
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by leshluap(m): 10:18am On Jul 15, 2014
$
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adekayo1234(m): 10:18am On Jul 15, 2014
Emilliw3m: What is naija turning into
fixed

By the way, I am glad people are beginning to reason with some of the NMA's demand. I am also surprise the minister is begging the doctors to report back to work. My people, let's do this calculation
A) Remove the lab scientist from the teaching hospital, would the hospital still function. Yes!
B) Do same for the pharmacist who IMO is not different from the chemist nearby and ask the same question. Am sure your answer will tally with mine

Only the nurse remains vital in patients' care next to the doctor in the hospital setting. So what are we talking about?
My last question goes thus: Is a professor of medicine equivalent to a consultant?
Let my people think

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 10:21am On Jul 15, 2014
[quote author=sakaguchi]

I didn't say they should be reduced to minions, all I proffer is that a limit of years experience should be inserted, then there should be no monetary gains in being a CMD .

Why will you remove the monetary gains of the CMD simply because JOHESU cannot get there? I don't see the wisdom there, I don't see JOHESU as a big threat to a CMD either, if I were a CMD, I should be worried over my fellow consultants whom I out maneuvered to get the CMD seat, those are the real threat. but hey! what do I know?

for you to call something a career, there is always a step to climb, there is always a status to achieve and the perks there in, that is what breeds competition in an organization, so, if it takes Academic, clinical and managerial superiority to get there, by all means let them compete, but the office of the CMD, should be attractive for House officers to look up to it to work harder.

I for one is not happy that consultant Drs are reduced to doing administrative work in a country where the doctor : patient ratio is disproportionate. A nurse or a pharmacy or a doctor can be a CMD so long as their pay package remains the same. That way, I doctor would not envy that CMD who is a nurse since he/she earns more than him/her. Nigeria like making the top juicier and hence corruption persists.

Stop sounding like all consultants are CMDS? how many CMD's are in the whole country? if a few consultants are given administrative offices, what is wrong with that? don't forget that the same office co-ordinates the affairs of all the other departments in the clinic, In other words, he has a clinical input in matters that is way beyond the other head of departments so don't limit it to paper work.
Either way you see that office, it was attained through hard work and academic superiority, its benefits shall never be compromised.

Consultant nurse or pharmacy is too vacuous an idea for government to approve. The status quo of a dr (only consultant) should remain.

Coming from you, then I am more convinced I wasn't wrong standing with NMA on this one
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by phantom(m): 10:22am On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi: Sai! Patient's perspective indeed.
I weep for this country. I've followed this strike ish for quite some time,even had a debate with some colleagues.
I read an article online abt the requests of the doctors. Nobody is disputing it. They want increase in hazard allowance to N100,000 per month,and some other things too. That is fine by us. But for NMA to boldly come out,stating it will not condone ''blackmail'' by health workers is so annoying. How does the title of ''Consultant'' result to blackmail? Is it something that has never been done before? Is it strange in other countries? Why are the doctors hell bent on being an obstacle to the progress of other health workers?
Now,back to the issue of consultant,let it be known that there are conditions attatched to the title. Medical scientists,pharmacists,nurses,physiotherapists attain educational level of Phd in their profession.
For example,a medical scientist specializes in haematology in masters and Phd level,obtains his fellows and satisfies all requirements by the MLSCN council. Why should such a fellow with vast knowledge in haematology not be allowed to consult with the patient and the patient's doctor on matters relating to haematological matters?
It irks when i read some comments here.
In terms of salary,lets have a rethink. For example,as an intern,a scientist earns N120K, a doctor/house officer earns N170K-N180. Now JOHESU requests for an increase,relative to CONMESS scale....N150/160k. Why NMA wan come get HBP on top the matter? All JOHESU is asking for is a relative increase. Peeps who are shouting abt job the rigors of the medical duty should not undermine what other health workers go through. Being on call in haematology laboratory in a teaching hospital is like being on a rollercoaster!
It is the same time too. So what is wrong abt JOHESU requesting for shift duty/call duty allowance and other special allowance.
As an intern,hazard allowance was a mere N10k. What d hell! We handle body fluids too and get exposed to all the vile things running amok.
Those who want privatization of other health sectors are living in a fool's paradise. Who can afford it? Services in the health sector is highly subsidized,but still expensive for certain peeps.
And for the skipping of a thing,why are doctors against skipping when they are doing it? They skip from 10 to 12,we want a skip from 9 to 11. Why dem wan get headache? Lol! *SMH*
finally,on the issue of CMD,i will state here boldly that i have no qualms with doctors being the CMDs. All we ask for is professional courtsey.

thank you!!!regarding the first bolded.... are masters and phD the required qualifications for consultancy abroad? if they are please furnish links.secondly,in what setting abroad do the consultant nurses and pharmacists work?? in the hospitals please furnish links
@second bolded.....let the relativity be maintained.skipping johesu without skipping doctors will erode that relativity.the relativity we are using now is not the proper one.

@third bolded.....the issue of hazard affects evreybody and that is why i maintain that chukwu should be sacked. the issues in the health sector now can only be settled on a round table iwth all the interested parties involved.
hazard should be paid based on the risk you face at work.simple!!! and it should be negotiated for all health workers at the same time.
lab scientists&pathologists>surgeons(including O&G)>radiographers/radiologists>pysiciians including paediatricians>nurses>pub health docs>pharmacists

@fourth bolded....privatization is the way to go.that is one of the reasons NMA is insisting on 100% coverage for NHIS. they go hand in hand.
privatization will address simultaneously the issues of quality or standard of healthcare(including training of personnel and up to date equipment) and better remuneration of workers

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Adenugay(m): 10:23am On Jul 15, 2014
why the strike

I Didn’t Have Sex With Any Man – Best Graduating Student Of KWASU >>>> http://www..com/best-graduating-student-of-kwasu/
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 10:23am On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips: .
What patient? You aint a patient,dude. Lol! Some of us aint naive.
You brandish the health workers as people fighting for inconsequential needs. All i did was point them out to the alleged ''patient'' who has been convinced into believing that health workers are a set of egocentric individuals who want to war with doctors. As for ur thread title,oh really? Lol.
For the record,i'm a female.

And what do u mean by ''own'' a patient? U see why i have doubts abt u being a neutral mind? Patient indeed! *scoffs*.
Obviously,making quality health services available to ur ''patients'' at an affordable and attainable cost seems to come at the bottom of ur list.
Do not give me the ''patient'' line. You expect good services when the service provider is subjected to a non-condusive working environment and deprived of basic incentives. Oh wow!

We are in the system,we know the drill.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by chucs: 10:24am On Jul 15, 2014
This patient perspective favours the doctors . I think the writer does not have a clear understanding of the subject matter.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 10:29am On Jul 15, 2014
snowytee: TF is "I was meant to understand"?

sorry bros, just help me put the right phrase, while doing that, Kindly read meaning into the rest of the message to garner support for our doctors, like I told a friend of mine, it is we the patients that will suffer most if the status quo is not restored.

Look at the competition between the BSc Nurses and the Registered nurses (all JOHESU members) and now they want consultancy?
I don't want a nurse to tell me she is a consultant who can no longer pack sh!!t in the ward.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by phantom(m): 10:39am On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

sorry bros, just help me put the right phrase, while doing that, Kindly read meaning into the rest of the message to garner support for our doctors, like I told a friend of mine, it is we the patients that will suffer most if the status quo is not restored.

Look at the competition between the BSc Nurses and the Registered nurses (all JOHESU members) and now they want consultancy?
I don't want a nurse to tell me she is a consultant who can no longer pack sh!!t in the ward.

this is the reasoning i want every nigerian to have. unfortunately this view is 1 in a million.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 10:49am On Jul 15, 2014
phantom:

thank you!!!regarding the first bolded.... are masters and phD the required qualifications for consultancy abroad? if they are please furnish links.secondly,in what setting abroad do the consultant nurses and pharmacists work?? in the hospitals please furnish links
@second bolded.....let the relativity be maintained.skipping johesu without skipping doctors will erode that relativity.the relativity we are using now is not the proper one.

@third bolded.....the issue of hazard affects evreybody and that is why i maintain that chukwu should be sacked. the issues in the health sector now can only be settled on a round table iwth all the interested parties involved.
hazard should be paid based on the risk you face at work.simple!!! and it should be negotiated for all health workers at the same time.
lab scientists&pathologists>surgeons(including O&G)>radiographers/radiologists>pysiciians including paediatricians>nurses>pub health docs>pharmacists

@fourth bolded....privatization is the way to go.that is one of the reasons NMA is insisting on 100% coverage for NHIS. they go hand in hand.
privatization will address simultaneously the issues of quality or standard of healthcare(including training of personnel and up to date equipment) and better remuneration of workers

The thread says Patients perspective oga doctor, what you are skipping is not our problem, on a side note,

why do you think JOHESU should not get same hazard allowance as the doctor If the salary parity remains valid? I don't understand why it should be extended to allowances, extended work hours, Nite and day shift etc is same for all, why the parity in allowance?

Now in companies, field allowances are not Taxed, because that is where your hazard and inconvenience allowance is ( i am not implying that some "charge and bail" indigenous companies don't tax theirs) but that is the standard the business owners came with from abroad and it has been a latent standard for sometime now.

All Tax and deductions face the basic salary, now for a field operative, each level have their pay, you only know an Oga from other allowances and salary but not "hazard".

If you and I go to the same rig and you feel your hazard is greater than mine, then i will be forced to throw you overboard to prove it.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 10:51am On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

You want to be a consultant but you don't want to own the patient, grin grin bros I disagree completely with you, we don't need more bureaucracies in our health sector.

You think this is a fight about owning the patient? You'll understand better when you lose a loved one to a doctor's mistake that could have been corrected by a pharmacist or nurse.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 10:52am On Jul 15, 2014
@ phantom
A masters and fellows degree is vital.
Using pharmacy for example.http://cpe.pharmacy.ufl.edu/courses/consultant/
yes,being a consultant pharmacist requires one to undergo adequate training.
But why so much emphasis on this matter? Being a consultant is not new to various fields and careers out there.
Checking out a simple definition...
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consultant
consultant(from Latin:consultare"to discuss"wink is a professional who provides professional or expert advice [ 1 ]in a particular area such as security ( electronicor physical), management, accountancy, law, human resources, marketing(and public relations), finance, engineering, scienceor any of many other specialized fields.
For crying out loud,nobody wants to rub shoulders! Just give everyone their due. When one is an expert in his/her field,why not permit the fellow to be referred to as ''consultant''?
http://ejhp.bmj.com/content/19/2/251.3.abstract
check out that abstract.
Consultant pharmacist is a restricted title in the National Health Service (NHS). They were introduced in 2005 to provide best care for patients and to retain experienced pharmacists in clinical practice. The posts have four key functions: expert practice (max. 50%); research, evaluation and service development; education, mentoring and overview of practice; professional leadership.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Tbamo(m): 10:53am On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi: Sai! Patient's perspective indeed.
I weep for this couyntry. I've followed this strike ish for quite some time,even had a debate with some colleagues.
For example,a medical scientist specializes in haematology in masters and Phd level,obtains his fellows and satisfies all requirements by the MLSCN council. Why should such a fellow with vast knowledge in haematology not be allowed to consult with the patient and the patient's doctor on matters relating to haematological matters? It irks when i read some comments here.
So you think a house officer and an intern in the lab or pharm intern do the same things or have the same responsibilities? And so should earn the same?
During your internship can you be sued for malpractice as a pharmacist?
What do you do during your calls?
How many life threatening cases do you engage as a pharmacy intern?
And you want to earn the same as the doctor?

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 10:54am On Jul 15, 2014
malbruno: my dear, u have Said it all, just an addition d consultants are meant to specialize in a particular area of study like consultant gyenocologist, consultant urologist etc. Their role differ, so it will be for Consultant chem pathologist, consultant haematologist consultant pharmacist when they have got the requisit qualification. How is it affecting other consultants who shld face their own specialty. what kind egocentric set of human beings

See there is confusion already consultant heamatologist are trained mdical doctors dnt be fooled so is consultant chem pathologist. Consultant pharmacist is the new one. You people should stop whining abeg nit has been done it has been done. Nma should go back to work and watch and laugh while patients die in ur consultant cleaners hands lmao

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 10:55am On Jul 15, 2014
Tbamo:
So you think a house officer and an intern in the lab or pharm intern do the same things or have the same responsibilities? And so should earn the same?
During your internship can you be sued for malpractice as a pharmacist?
What do you do during your calls?
How many life threatening cases do you engage as a pharmacy intern?
And you want to earn the same as the doctor?

Except when they are the one involved in causing the threathening case by injecting lethal doses of drugs to the patient

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 10:57am On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi:
What patient? You aint a patient,dude. Lol! Some of us aint naive.
You brandish the health workers as people fighting for inconsequential needs. All i did was point them out to the alleged ''patient'' who has been convinced into believing that health workers are a set of egocentric individuals who want to war with doctors. As for ur thread title,oh really? Lol.
For the record,i'm a female.

And what do u mean by ''own'' a patient? U see why i have doubts abt u being a neutral mind? Patient indeed! *scoffs*.
Obviously,making quality health services available to ur ''patients'' at an affordable and attainable cost seems to come at the bottom of ur list.
Do not give me the ''patient'' line. You expect good services when the service provider is subjected to a non-condusive working environment and deprived of basic incentives. Oh wow!

We are in the system,we know the drill.

Of course I am not a patient, I am brandishing a patient's point of view, why do you want me to become a patient at this my prime and what do you want to infect me with to endear such demeaning status?

Owning a patient? any body who is not conversant with that parlance has never been admitted before, what does it take to figure it out? On admission the nurse says wait for doctor for this, wait for a doctor for that, Is it not commonsense to decipher who owns the patient?
why do you people really think that every Nigerian is a m0r0n?

7 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 10:57am On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

You think this is a fight about owning the patient? You'll understand better when you lose a loved one to a doctor's mistake that could have been corrected by a pharmacist or nurse.

Doctors are not Gods patients that would die would die anyways stop worshiping doctors They do their best but sometimes situations dont permit saving

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Oduduwaboy(m): 10:58am On Jul 15, 2014
hmmm....good !
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 10:59am On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

Loll nice one bruh. To consultant to pack shiittt lmao
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 10:59am On Jul 15, 2014
adekayo1234: fixed

By the way, I am glad people are beginning to reason with some of the NMA's demand. I am also surprise the minister is begging the doctors to report back to work. My people, let's do this calculation
A) Remove the lab scientist from the teaching hospital, would the hospital still function. Yes!
B) Do same for the pharmacist who IMO is not different from the chemist nearby and ask the same question. Am sure your answer will tally with mine

Only the nurse remains vital in patients' care next to the doctor in the hospital setting. So what are we talking about?
My last question goes thus: Is a professor of medicine equivalent to a consultant?
Let my people think

You're a Nigerian doctor? You will never understand!
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Oduduwaboy(m): 11:00am On Jul 15, 2014
Iwegbadu:

Doctors are not Gods patients that would die would die anyways stop worshiping doctors They do their best but sometimes situations dont permit saving

...this is the rant of a stone-age man.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 11:00am On Jul 15, 2014
VirginFinder: The Doctor is king/boss/lord in the hospital!

Sad truth. They should go back to baking fake plls called drugs and packing shit buahahahaha
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Iwegbadu(m): 11:01am On Jul 15, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

...this is the rant of a stone-age man.

Comtinue bowing at doctors feet. Dont go and worship the lord thy savior
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 11:02am On Jul 15, 2014
Iwegbadu:

Admit that they make mistakes that kill patients! Mistakes that would have been avoided if we had an all-inclusive system with experts of pharmacist consultants and nurse consultants! Just admit!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Benue Doctors Arrive Suspected Monkeypox Victim's House 24 Hours After Report / Share Your Experience With Natural Skin Care Remedies Here / Bill Gates Attests To Nigeria Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.