Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective (20566 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 11:58am On Jul 15, 2014
phantom: look brother....if you want to import from the US do it well.if your consultancy entails a residency training,go ahead and do it.if it entails a masters and PhD,go ahead and do it.
the west African college of pharmacists has been in existence for years.HOW MANY OF YOUR SENIORS ARE FELLOWS?
you prefer to open pharmacies and sell drugs.
you, adeola when did you qualify as a pharmacist? have you considered a residency in pharmacy??

We argued all this while on NL and uon know? Well, I'll first love to secure the PharmD degree, works for a few years then undergo residency to become an Endocrine pharmacist.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by rotadeco27: 11:58am On Jul 15, 2014
Patients are suffering,yet govt does nothing to bring doctors back to wok wat a pit just pray u won't need a doc this period,else u understand d ego they are fighting for
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 11:59am On Jul 15, 2014
phantom: look brother....if you want to import from the US do it well.if your consultancy entails a residency training,go ahead and do it.if it entails a masters and PhD,go ahead and do it.
the west African college of pharmacists has been in existence for years.HOW MANY OF YOUR SENIORS ARE FELLOWS?
you prefer to open pharmacies and sell drugs.
you, adeola when did you qualify as a pharmacist? have you considered a residency in pharmacy??

We argued all this while on NL and uon know? Well, I'll first love to secure the PharmD degree, works for a few years then undergo residency to become an Endocrine pharmacist.

Oh well, we have a lot of fellows, the PSN president is one, we have lots of them.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 12:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

My brother, pharmacy also has specialty areas just like medicine. HIV pharmacists exist, Endocrine pharmacists exist, I personally know a Renal pharmacist.

All you need to is undergo Residency training provided by WAPCP for a minimum of 6 years depending on your area of specialty. I just got an info from a consultant on FB, that's there's also post residency internship for about 3-4 years depending on the area of specialty too.

This is what makes you a Consultant pharmacist. Now tell me how useful such a person is to patient care. Compare how an ordinary pharmacist would optimize an HIV patients polypharmacy prescription to how an HIV pharmacist that has spent almost 8 years studying the HIV drug would optimize!

This still doesn't destroy the patient-doctor link. It just makes sure the patients get the best drug therapy at whatever time.

You cannot be paid as a consultant just because you are responsible for just an ailment, haba! consultant for HIV pharm, consultant Kidney nurse, consultant cosmetic cleaner, the whole thing should sound ridiculous to you (Hope you didn't chip in the HIV clause to scare me grin grin) After all doctors manage HIV patients too or your own HIV now have wings?

please If after your sojourn in the realm of HIV, Pharmacy et al, you cannot own a patient, then it is useless to us. NMA has been able to accept that responsibility and Nigerians are glad to give them the Badge and honor to go with.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 12:02pm On Jul 15, 2014
@ centje.
Call duty in tertiary hospitals varies from place to place. Ours was 4pm-8am and occassional weekends too.Dn't talk like its every weekend doctors are subjected to call duty. If it is shift work,then give an allowance for it!
Hazards,5k was prolly far back. I only heard that amount during my NYSC. We need an increase of hazard allowance for health workers too. There should be no argument on this matter.
Privatization,i have no fear. I work in a private hospital that is very' expensive compared to other places. CS is nothing less than a million for ''Deposit''. Now u wish to privatize the pharmacy and lab. A simple test of MP using QBC would prolly cost N3k. How many peeps can afford MP test (only) for such amount? This is a test done for N300 in teaching hsptl using normal staining methods. N3,000 and N300,there is a huge difference.
You talk about people willing to pay at any cost,just to get quality services. Now,let me ask you. We have affordable health services in Nigeria,but still get faced with mortality and complications due to poverty. The average man takes '' agbo'' when he suspects malaria. Think abt it for a second.
As per skipping,what is good for the goose....

Professional courtsey...hmmm. I'm glad to be in a private sector where everyone knows their job specification and limits. Yes,it is reciprocal. And the way one portrays himself will determine hw he'll be regarded.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 12:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

Oh! you have not even gotten a pharm D?
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 12:07pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

You cannot be paid as a consultant just because you are responsible for just an ailment, haba! consultant for HIV pharm, consultant Kidney nurse, consultant cosmetic cleaner, the whole thing should sound ridiculous to you (Hope you didn't chip in the HIV clause to scare me grin grin)

please If after your sojourn in the realm of HIV, Pharmacy et al, you cannot own a patient, then it is useless to us. NMA has been able to accept that responsibility and Nigerians are glad to give them the Badge and honor to go with.

If at this point, you're still talking about owning the patient, then I have no more words for you.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by 5minsmadness: 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

Dear patients, just imagine the kind of doctor you want to entrust your life with!!!
Oh be quiet!
NOBODY is perfect, even if you bring all the most intelligent people in the world to Nigeria people will still die and that's the truth! I respect doctors for thier hard work that i have personally seen them do. Stop forming as if the consultancy the other people are asking for is for the benefit of the patients cos you damn well know in your heart that it isn't!

Now that the doctors are on strike what is preventing the JOHSU members from working to keep the patients alive? Like someone here said and as far as I know doctors don't lock the gates when they go on strike, why don't you save the dying patient?

Also are you saying that your level of knowledge as it is now makes you so incompetent that you can't contribute to a patient's well-being? If then no wonder our doctors are overworked if they have to do everything and work as a team with the likes of you!

A doctor, politely tells a nurse what to do for a patient, he or she first looks the doctor from head to toe. If the work is not done as directed, and the doctor complains, he is tagged arrogant. In the aim to gain relevance, a lot of Nurses have grown so aggressive, in recent times, that patients are too scared to approach them when in the ward.
I experienced this personally when I went to visit a friend on the ward in ubth. The doctor politely asked the nurse for scissors and she told him he should get it himself that she's a matron and he can't order her about. We all heard him say please and his voice was not at all raised and yet the nurse refused, choosing instead to sit her fat ass on the chair and look at the ceiling. The doctor had to remove his gloves to go look for the scissors himself. If he had challenged her now she would have started screaming arrogance and disrespect!
And then you want them to become consultants?! They won't even come near the wards again!

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 12:12pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

If at this point, you're still talking about owning the patient, then I have no more words for you.

Of course you don't want the biggest responsibility the consultant carries but you want his allowance, his salary, his pay grade, his entitlements abi?
bros abeg try the Native doctor with those your kitchen consultants.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 12:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

were you the person who accused me of being a Doctor? why are you generous to explain to a doctor what ordinarily he should know?
After all the grammar you spoke, who has the last call on what happens to a patient as regards his treatment?
let us skip the colloquial "owning" "having" etc.
You call it grammar,i call it facts. No,i aint accusing you. Use your tongue to count your teeth.
I will always be realistic. The first point of call in a hospital is front desk officer/receptionist...then nurse....then a doctor...then a scientist....back to the doctor...and finally a pharmacist. Others come in at certain points. But do not EVER take one unit as insignificant. The last point of call is usually the pharmacy.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi: Privatization,i have no fear. I work in a private hospital that is very' expensive compared to other places. CS is nothing less than a million for ''Deposit''. Now u wish to privatize the pharmacy and lab. A simple test of MP using QBC would prolly cost N3k. How many peeps can afford MP test (only) for such amount? This is a test done for N300 in teaching hsptl using normal staining methods. N3,000 and N300,there is a huge difference.
You talk about people willing to pay at any cost,just to get quality services. Now,let me ask you. We have affordable health services in Nigeria,but still get faced with mortality and complications due to poverty. The average man takes '' agbo'' when he suspects malaria. Think abt it for a second.
i quite agree, it's not totally in the best interest of the patient to privatize hospital. But that's a possible escape option since this fight between Doctors and JOHESU is on a parallel path.
Let's not forget no one bears the name 'patient'. It can be you, today, and me, tomorrow.
My opinion is that Government may be forced to take an unusual course since we have an unusual events.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
Just look how the geriatric pharmacists in the US put it:

What Can a Senior Care
Pharmacist Do for You?
Printer-friendly version
Senior Care Pharmacists are skilled health care
professionals who have specialized training in the
medication-related needs of seniors. This field of
study is called geriatric pharmacotherapy.
Special Skills of Senior Care Pharmacists
In their roles as medication therapy management
(MTM) experts, senior care pharmacists:
hold their patients’ interest above all others;
take responsibility for their patients’ medication-
related needs;
ensure that their patients’ medications are the
most appropriate, the safest possible, the most
effective, and are used correctly; and
identify, resolve, and prevent medication-related
problems.
Typically, senior care pharmacists accomplish this
through a comprehensive consultation that
provides a thorough, one-on-one review of all of
your medications -- prescription, over-the-
counter, herbal, and nutritional.
But senior care pharmacists go well beyond
reviewing medications. A senior care pharmacist
has studied and acquired extensive knowledge
about and experience in:
-Observing and properly assessing the health of
seniors;
-Advocating healthy living practices and disease
prevention for seniors;
-Recognizing and understanding diseases and
conditions common in the senior population;
Identifying medication-related problems that can
cause, aggravate, or contribute to common
geriatric problems;
-Making it easier for seniors to take their
medications properly by labeling, packaging and
organizing prescription drugs better; and
Understanding the role of the caregiver, the
financial challenges that seniors can face, and the
importance of choosing appropriate care.
Some also have demonstrated their
special knowledge and training by becoming
board-certified geriatric pharmacists.

Improving Your Quality of Life
In addition to possessing skills specifically tailored
to seniors’ needs, senior care pharmacists have a
different perspective from most physicians and
pharmacists. There’s a tendency for physicians to
prescribe and pharmacists to dispense medications
for a senior. But a senior care pharmacist would
first look to see if the symptom might itself be a
side effect of a current medication.
What does this mean for you?
It’s simple: Do your medications make you sleepy?
Is your thinking foggy? Do you feel anxious,
confused, or depressed? Do you feel light-headed?
Do you sleep poorly at night?
All of these symptoms may be related to taking
your medications. A senior care pharmacist will
evaluate the overall picture of how your
medications are affecting your quality of life. This
can make a real difference for you and your family!

What Services a Senior Care Pharmacist Provides
A senior care pharmacist provides one-on-one
consultation with you and your family, often in your
home or an office, for a reasonable fee.
A senior care pharmacist can:
Provide professional, unhurried visits, and
medication information that is understandable to
you, your family, and caregivers
Identify and reduce medicated-related problems,
such as side effects and drug interactions
Eliminate unnecessary medications
Simplifying the system for taking medications
Offer ideas for improving medication compliance
and maintaining the best health
Reduce medication costs
Serve as your advocate with your physician to
ensure the use of the most appropriate
medications
Promote wellness and disease prevention
Identify untreated problems, such as incontinence
and depression
Watch This Video
Watch this video to learn more about what a senior
care pharmacist can do for you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7ic197sUc

In Conclusion
In short, a senior care pharmacist can help you
stay healthy through appropriate, safe, and effective
medication use.
Why wait? Schedule an appointment to have the
benefit of improved health today.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 12:25pm On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi:
You call it grammar,i call it facts. No,i aint accusing you. Use your tongue to count your teeth.
I will always be realistic. The first point of call in a hospital is front desk officer/receptionist...then nurse....then a doctor...then a scientist....back to the doctor...and finally a pharmacist. Others come in at certain points. But do not EVER take one unit as insignificant. The last point of call is usually the pharmacy.

Simple question behooves simple answer, I may not be a health practitioner doesn't mean I left my common sense abroad.

Who does the prognosis and logs in the patients complain?
who tells the scientist which test to run to confirm his prognosis?
who writes the drug prescription and dosage that wakes the pharmacist from coma?
whose signature admits and discharges the patient?
who certifies a patient DEAD?

back to the issue again, who owns the patient??

6 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by chucs: 12:36pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

sorry bros, just help me put the right phrase, while doing that, Kindly read meaning into the rest of the message to garner support for our doctors, like I told a friend of mine, it is we the patients that will suffer most if the status quo is not restored.

Look at the competition between the BSc Nurses and the Registered nurses (all JOHESU members) and now they want consultancy?
I don't want a nurse to tell me she is a consultant who can no longer pack sh!!t in the ward.
Mr man its not every nurse that packs faeces. There is hierarchy and carder in nursing profession which is also found in other profession. U seem to be a patient that has vast knowledge in medical field but found it difficult to acknowledge the existence of nurse consultants as seen all over the world. I find it difficult to understand why a professional will not be allowed to get to the peak of his/her career. The issue on ground is not about ownership of the patients but the a clear knowledge of what consultant stand for. According to wikipedia "a consultant is a professional who provides professional or expert advice in a particular area such as security(electronic or physical),management,accountancy,law,human resources,marketing(and public relations),finance,engineering or any of many other specialized fields"

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by chucs: 12:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
5minsmadness:
So you were looking for one that would favour JOESHU?
I was looking for unbiased and neutral opinion.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Keemie(f): 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

Simple question behooves simple answer, I may not be a health practitioner doesn't mean I left my common sense abroad.

who writes the drug prescription and dosage that wakes the pharmacist from coma?

The Doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Joe88(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
[quote author=jpphilips]It has been a week since the Nigerian doctors down tools, and ever since, health care delivery in Nigeria have not remained the same.
Before I decided to open this thread, I wanted to holistically fix culpability where it belongs, from the "for" and "against" threads here, I got hold of the following demands by the doctors. I am not in anyway undermining the other demands of the Doctors, but for the purpose of emphasis I wish to dissect the demands that will directly or indirectly affect the patients.

While I implore the Doctors to quickly resolve their differences in the interest of the patients, there are some demands I consider legitimate and should not be compromised under any guise. The reason I hold tenaciously to this opinion is the fact that those demands if not met, will likely put the lives of the patients in grave danger. these demands are as follows;

I was meant to understand that JOHESU is at the fore front of demanding for the position of "consultant" in their various fields. As a patient who care less about medical politics and bureaucracy, I was meant to understand that the Doctor consultant actually owns the patient, by "owning" I mean calls the final shot on the treatment regime of a patient.
The big question is; what qualifies a consultant doctor (not any charge and bail doctor) to own a patient?

Research has proven that the Consultant doctor is one who has a general knowledge of every aspect of medicine who later specializes in a single aspect. That gives him the academic superiority to claim responsibility on the welfare of a patient, then I ask; what is wrong with that?

who else in the Hospital is a contender, JOHESU is demanding that the Lab scientist can become a consultant, then in my Medical naive I asked on what grounds?
Till date (probably the outcome of this thread will give me a convincing answer) I am yet to hear any logical reason as to why that needs to happen.

the first question I asked was, will the consultant Lab scientist own the patient? If the Answer is "YES" then why will I entrust the last call on my treatment in the hands of a lab scientist who knows nothing about my pulmonary disease which requires a surgery he cannot perform?

If the answer is "NO" then why do we need that "half baked consultant" that cannot own a patient? Further more, I was meant to understand that the consultant position is highly respected and it comes with benefits and perks (economic motivation), could it be that JOHESU is targeting these benefits? let us find out.

From the above conversation, you can easily deduce that the whole strike is just petty politics and unmerited power tussle, my own annoyance is that people who want to live and earn like consultants refuse to broaden their curriculum to acquire more knowledge but they want to enjoy like people who have accomplished theirs.

If a theater nurse who have spent countless years in a Theater with a surgeon will not go on strike for the Govt to extend her curriculum to cover other areas of health care delivery, why will she be interested in being a consultant?

The second argument is that it is obtainable outside Nigeria (of course, countries not plagued by nepotism and corruption like ours), this is the most ridiculous because every country has the reserve to make laws that suit their environment, juxtaposing foreign health care delivery with Nigeria's is laughable.

Let us quickly look at the following facts to dissect the actual medical practice we need to import from abroad;

The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) - have initiated countless cases against nurses in the United States, between 1998 and 2001, they have initiated well over 413 cases of malpractice,http://www.nursingcenter.com/lnc/journalarticle?article_id=423284

Fellow Nigerians, I am still waiting for the day JOHESU will go on strike to demand for a law or act that will empower it to prosecute its members for "Negligence" as it is obtainable elsewhere viz a viz "International best practices" or are we saying that Nigerians don't loose their lives in the care of JOHESU members? JOHESU in their infinite wisdom is demanding for the big title "consultant" but uninterested in taking responsibility for the welfare of the patient, neither are they interested in a broad curriculum for effective health care delivery that will benefit the patient in the long run, all they are interested is "GIVE THEE THY TITLE OH! GOVT, FOR WE SHALL CHOP LIKE THE DOCTORS AT ALL COST" it is a shame, nothing in it for the patients.

Since JOHESU is kind enough to borrow "international best practices" let us look further;

In the United states, nurses are entitled to great tax benefits, reimbursements for academic career advances/school loans-sign on and relocation bonuses for less work!

The bold part is an incentive that will motivate a nurse to improve academically for a better health care delivery, I am yet to hear that JOHESU wants to strike for the inability of the Govt. to provide such academic soft landing.

At this verge I am forced to conclude that JOHESU is not interested in anything that will advance their members academically but that big name that will guarantee more money in their pockets. it is a shame.

As much as I am of the opinion that the controversial arrears should be negotiated in the interest of patients with terminal illness, however ,NMA "MUST" not compromise on Relativity.
Relativity I was meant to understand is the parity in earning between doctors and other health care providers.

Nature follows the path of least resistance, the reason people still study hard to aspire to go through the rigors of medical school is because of the perks that comes with being a doctor, those privileges "MUST" never be compromised.

Any attempt to harmonize their benefit will not only enthrone incompetence in health care delivery but will make medicine unattractive.
why will i go through medical school when I will enjoy same benefit with a doctor as a parasitologist?

We lost most of our best Doctors to Saudi Arabia in the 80's in related circumstance.

On what grounds should an air hostess earn the same as the Pilot? just because she feels she serves coffee to the passengers? what kind of logic are we throwing around in Nigeria? If an air hostess want the same perks and privilege as a Pilot, by all means the Aeronautic school is open for anyone to go through the stress.

There must be parity in benefit for all the health care workers, If you want to chop like a consultant, kindly go through medical school, you cannot reap where you did not sow.

To believe that people who ended up in Nursing, Physiotherapy, Bio chemistry, Medical lab science were actually people who couldn't make it past MB exams or some who the JAMB cut off truncated their desire to be doctors, In the Hospital you want "Harmonized salaries" with doctors, what an ambition!!

If you like the official vehicle or the house incentive given to your CMD, by all means go to the medical school. we don't honor hard work in this country, The super eagles trained consistently for over 3yrs to qualify and prosecute the Nations cup qualifiers, the Nation's cup, the world cup qualifiers and the world cup proper, in the middle of the tournament, the FA is still haggling with their bonuses.

when are we going to enthrone merit and hard work in this country? nobody wants to work hard but they want the best life, look at the judiciary furore in this country, the judiciary is handicapped because there are so many loop holes in our laws, to believe it is our highest paid public servants that made those s!lly laws is disheartening.

You cannot give a doctor his deserved honor but we spend billions on militants, thieves whose radicalism nearly crippled our economy.

On what grounds is JOHESU members interested in the CMD (chief medical director) position? hope we are not looking at another monster resembling "federal character", "rotation of office" in our health care delivery system?

Permit me to borrow this perspective from Aura to buttress on this ill

the people who are supporting JUHEsU or whatever are people who have not realized why the doctors are striking, they are still laced with the emotion that doctors abandoned their patients but i tell you guys, if you have the least idea what these nurses and paramedicals are asking for, you will weep for this country.

If the NMA should return to work, the following situations are likely gonna play out.

1 as a patient under a consultant radiographer whose curriculum is limited to radiography and a few basic medical courses will have the final say on how you will be treated, before now, it used to be a doctor's call.

2, the leadership of the hospital, hitherto have been doctors, now these charlatans want to head a hospital too, what it simply means is that a physiotherapist CMD can tell a doctor how to treat you when he knows nothing about surgery that a doctor knows,
or an Aux nurse CMD can ask a surgeon to conduct a surgery with flash light aka "torch" after all, it is a minor surgery, what does she know?

Solution:

The Govt through the NOA should embark on a sensitization campaign, outlining the implications of this transition, after which there will be a referendum where we the patients will vote.

I cant Imagine a registered nurse who have been packing sh:t and p:ss all her life in the ward will one day become a CMD and decide for a doctor how to conduct his surgery.

The patients that will die on this senseless beuraucracy will be far higher than what will die now as a result of this industrial action, as a result, I implore the NLC, the TUC, PENGASSAN, NUPENG to join the NMA in solidarity because the politicians will take their wards abroad while we suffer for this senseless directive.

We run a doctors only CMD hospitals in Nigeria.

Now I want the paramedicals to base their arguments on the following points.

1 The UME and post UME cut off points for doctors and paramedicals for the last 10yrs, by schools with recognized college of medicine.

2 School fees: medicine vs others (since remuneration have become an issue)

3 The curriculum of a doctor from part 1 to consultancy vs the others.

4 from point 1,3 above, we can now decide whom the CMD cap fits.

But for your last submission, you were on point. Conclusion was really shallow, those are no reasons for the superiority of medical doctors
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

One question. If you had a thyroid removal surgery to do, or appendicitis. Or say a cancer removing surgery, would you allow a Nigerian medical doctor do this on you?
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 12:53pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

Lol. Yet u claim to be a patient. Come out clean,boy! cheesy
Nobody ''owns'' any patient. Stop confusing yourself with that phrase. Very funny and naive.
Who does the diagnosis,to confirm the prognosis? Medical scientists.

Who handles patient care in the wards? Nurses.

Who handles therapy in patients with bone issues? Physiotherapists

A patient comes into the hospital with complaints of malaise,nausea,weakness and pain. There are more than ten disease conditions with the same set of symptoms. Automatically,he requests for MP/widal. It comes out negative. What next? If he is a god,let him now determine the cause of the patient's ailment with his ''prognosis''. If he is a god,let him take care of the patient when admitted.
I repeat,nobody owns the patient. It is a collective effort.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2014
chucs: Mr man its not every nurse that packs faeces. There is hierarchy and carder in nursing profession which is also found in other profession. U seem to be a patient that has vast knowledge in medical field but found it difficult to acknowledge the existence of nurse consultants as seen all over the world. I find it difficult to understand why a professional will not be allowed to get to the peak of his/her career. The issue on ground is not about ownership of the patients but the a clear knowledge of what consultant stand for. According to wikipedia "a consultant is a professional who provides professional or expert advice in a particular area such as security(electronic or physical),management,accountancy,law,human resources,marketing(and public relations),finance,engineering or any of many other specialized fields"

There you go again, if there are already existing unproductive hierarchy and cadre in nursing, why do you want more by asking for consultancy?
What have the patients benefited from those so called BSc. nurses who fold their legs on front desk while the registered nurses pack all the sh!!t and p!ss? what use are they to us?

I have seen a Bsc nurse who refused to remove an Anal dressing in the name of not wanting to soil her hands and claim it is for the Reg. nurse to do so, meanwhile on another patient, the so called BSc nurse could not put a catheter, it was a doctor who came to her rescue.

BSc nurse vs Reg. nurse is a lot of problem already, the patient don't want more bureaucracy. A Bsc nurse on night duty only chat online in the name of writing report on the system, it is the Reg. nurse that throw away all the p!!s from the P!ss bags, practically they are useless.

Aux. nurse will bathe the patient, fetch water for patients, run around for food, serve drugs, clean the hospital, change diapers etc the BSc will be seating like an oracle dishing out insults on the productive ones.

#Say no to unproductive consultancy# if a nurse, pharmacist or scientist want to be consulted, open a shrine, or store take it outside the Govt hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
chucs: I was looking for unbiased and neutral opinion.

There can't be a neutral opinion. It's either you want to improve patient care(JOHESU), or you want us to maintain the status quo(NMA). Our healthcare is presently ranked 196/198 in the world or so, remember that.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2014
jpphilips:

There you go again, if there are already existing unproductive hierarchy and cadre in nursing, why do you want more by asking for consultancy?
What have the patients benefited from those so called BSc. nurses who fold their legs on front desk while the registered nurses pack all the sh!!t and p!ss? what use are they to us?

I have seen a Bsc nurse who refused to remove an Anal dressing in the name of not wanting to soil her hands and claim it is for the Reg. nurse to do so, meanwhile on another patient, the so called BSc nurse could not put a catheter, it was a doctor who came to her rescue.

BSc nurse vs Reg. nurse is a lot of problem already, the patient don't want more bureaucracy. A Bsc nurse on night duty only chat online in the name of writing report on the system, it is the Reg. nurse that throw away all the p!!s from the P!ss bags, practically they are useless.

Aux. nurse will bathe the patient, fetch water for patients, run around for food, serve drugs, clean the hospital, change diapers etc the BSc will be seating like an oracle dishing out insults on the productive ones.

#Say no to unproductive consultancy# if a nurse, pharmacist or scientist want to be consulted, open a shrine, or store take it outside the Govt hospitals.

How come you know so much? You're a patient oo grin
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 1:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
[quote author=Joe88][/quote]

But for your last submission, you were on point. Conclusion was really shallow, those are no reasons for the superiority of medical doctors
[quote]Permit me to borrow this perspective from Aura to buttress on this ill

guess you skipped this part
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

One question. If you had a thyroid removal surgery to do, or appendicitis. Or say a cancer removing surgery, would you allow a Nigerian medical doctor do this on you?
what's your point

Aside thyroidectomy, those surgeries, you mentioned, are very common surgeries done by Doctors, GPs, fresh graduates, not even specialists, within minutes, just to tell you how simple they are. When some of you take this angle i just but wish we could track you to see who will treat you when you fall sick. You will still run back to the same Doctors you castigate.
I bet you have no clue of number of patients saved by nigerian physicians not to talk of surgeons, on daily basis.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 1:09pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

How come you know so much? You're a patient oo grin
Ahswear! This kain patient ehn...! Hin dey see ooooo.
grin

jpphilips:
Hehehehe...Mr. Patient,really? What do u do when u get to hospitals? Tell nurses to present their certificates and qualifications to you. LMAO! How u take know who be auxillary,B.Sc and registered nurse? Oga patient!!! cheesy

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by AmenJoan(f): 1:12pm On Jul 15, 2014
A dentist is a doctor

benghaziii: peepz find it difficult to distinguish between dentist n doctors cos they both called doctors ....physiotherapist n lab scientist too cos dey all wear white coats.. now calling this peepz consultants will mess this profession up..
alot of the paramedics treat patients wrongly.. parasite on patient's ignorance until this poor peepz come to hospitals wif complications..

how would u allow a lab scientists to be called a consultant.. am even pissed at this moment..nigerians will never learn...

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 1:13pm On Jul 15, 2014
centje: what's your point

Aside thyroidectomy, those surgeries, you mentioned, are very common surgeries done by Doctors, GPs, fresh graduates, not even specialists, within minutes, just to tell you how simple they are. When some of you take this angle i just but wish we could track you to see who will treat you when you fall sick. You will still run back to the same Doctors you castigate.
I bet you have no clue of number of patients saved by nigerian physicians not to talk of surgeons, on daily basis.

What about when you have an eye surgery? Organ transplant? Would you allow a Nigerian medical doctor perform magic on you? Op pls answer!

My point is pls strike to improve your practice! Not too stop others from improving their practice! We are tired of going to India.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

What about when you have an eye surgery? Organ transplant? Would you allow a Nigerian medical doctor perform magic on you? Op pls answer!
grin
I've wasted my time with a kid. Sorry for quoting you, my dear.

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 1:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

It is done on a daily basis at one trauma center at Emenike street in PH (cant rem the name), both Nigerian consultants and some brown experts work there, you can take a trip there if you like.
for someone who have done Appendectomy, removed tonsil, guess I am not the right candidate for that question, kindly choose another patient.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by jpphilips(m): 1:23pm On Jul 15, 2014
GentleMimi:
Lol. Yet u claim to be a patient. Come out clean,boy! cheesy
Nobody ''owns'' any patient. Stop confusing yourself with that phrase. Very funny and naive.
Who does the diagnosis,to confirm the prognosis? Medical scientists.

Who handles patient care in the wards? Nurses.

Who handles therapy in patients with bone issues? Physiotherapists

A patient comes into the hospital with complaints of malaise,nausea,weakness and pain. There are more than ten disease conditions with the same set of symptoms. Automatically,he requests for MP/widal. It comes out negative. What next? If he is a god,let him now determine the cause of the patient's ailment with his ''prognosis''. If he is a god,let him take care of the patient when admitted.
I repeat,nobody owns the patient. It is a collective effort.

Thank you for your opinion, I was admitted by a Doctor, operated on by a Doctor, Discharged by a doctor, my colleagues then(who had a terrible accident at work)was certified dead! by a Doctor,the BSC and Reg. nurse politics couldn't even let me get well better. you may choose to take your med advise from the nearest native doctor, the Conventional doctors work for me,
have a nice day!!

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by adeoladrg(m): 1:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
centje: grin
I've wasted my time with a kid. Sorry for quoting, my dear.

It's my pleasure sir grin
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Royver(m): 1:27pm On Jul 15, 2014
adeoladrg:

What is this supposed to mean? We do this very well with good outcomes in our hospitals. Even putting appendicitis on the list is beyond laughable.
Please talk another thing.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Share Your Experience With Natural Skin Care Remedies Here / Benue Doctors Arrive Suspected Monkeypox Victim's House 24 Hours After Report / Bill Gates Attests To Nigeria Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.