Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? (8300 Views)

What Is The Porsche 911 Cabrio Like To Drive? / Porsche Panamera GT As An Official Car In Nigeria! / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2014
Hello all, I found this pretty Red (and rare) 1986/87 Porsche 944 for sale, though in a pretty poor state. I don't know if it's the 2.5l motor or the 2.0l...
the salesman was considering sending the car back to the owner as no one had approached it.
on close examination,I realized that the body still looked good with the proper sports car aura about it...I quickly fell in love.
it is in compliance with my preferences: "must be a German and RWD" it definitely isn't going to be a regular car, its a car i intend to have 350bhp right to the rear, adorn her with nice 18" wheels etc.
it's got some good sports buckets, it's a 944.
i would like some real information about this car from well informed subscribers and all other opinions would be appreciated too.
but it's a whole lot of major things to be fixed

1. Was told the MAF needed replacement;
2. The gearbox is ruined I'm sure because it was inoperable,it's a 5 speed manual;
3. It would need a new exhaust, possibly a good racing exhaust,i don't know possible Mods there is;
4. I have thoughts, if purchased, to replace the engine and fit in the 3.0l turbo (not sure if it's a 3.0l);
5. I would need new bucket seats, and a complete overhaul of the interior plus a few other niggles to be sorted out.

I would have made payment but the owner would first be contacted...so I'm waiting.
Does anyone have a 1st hand experience with this car? Is it advisable to purchase?
thanks.
now you know what I meant by the 3rd line of the copied post above

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:08pm On Jul 14, 2014
When I have time, I would get pictures of it...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing this project take off.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
yungboss: New Territory for me, fuelled by my propensity towards the anachronistics, thanks to Somorin (I know your new sobrique cool though) and Siena...
okay,
Hello all, I found this pretty Red (and rare) 1986/87 Porsche 944 for sale, though in a pretty poor state. I don't know if it's the 2.5l motor or the 2.0l...
the salesman was considering sending the car back to the owner as no one had approached it.
on close examination,I realized that the body still looked good with the proper sports car aura about it...I quickly fell in love.
it is in compliance with my preferences: "must be a German and RWD" it definitely isn't going to be a regular car, its a car i intend to have 350bhp right to the rear, adorn her with nice 18" wheels etc.
it's got some good sports buckets, it's a 944.
i would like some real information about this car from well informed subscribers and all other opinions would be appreciated too.
but it's a whole lot of major things to be fixed

1. Was told the MAF needed replacement;
2. The gearbox is ruined I'm sure because it was inoperable,it's a 5 speed manual;
3. It would need a new exhaust, possibly a good racing exhaust,i don't know possible Mods there is;
4. I have thoughts, if purchased, to replace the engine and fit in the 3.0l turbo (not sure if it's a 3.0l);
5. I would need new bucket seats, and a complete overhaul of the interior plus a few other niggles to be sorted out.

I would have made payment but the owner would first be contacted...so I'm waiting.
Does anyone have a 1st hand experience with this car? Is it advisable to purchase?
thanks.

Without seeing pictures and knowing how some Nigerians have total disregard for vehicle maintenance I will be holding my judgement until you post pics.

Now, the 924 and then the 944 were trend setters when they were released. They were technological powerhouses (as things go maybe even a Kia Sephia has more horsepower than that now) and were the talk of the automotive town back then.

I would restore one but I have already checked off the 924/944 from my bucket list and there are other cars to be sampled.

A good engine candidate is if you can get your hands on a Buick 215 V8, it was used in many British vehicles like the Rovers. This engine can be rebuilt to make huge horsepower (I have a friend with a 750hp). It's all alloy so very lightweight (there may be some steel block though) and should be very cheap in Nigeria (Land Rovers have them). The engine is even lighter than the I4 that Porsche used.

So unless something is totally wrong with this car then it's an automotive buy.

Another thing that I do is to speculate. Buy the car, clean it up, do easy repairs/upgrades and then see if you can flip it. I am sure there's going to be a German in Nigeria that may want it for Sunday cruises. I say this because once you remove the engine and start dismantling it looses value totally until it is completed.

Re sobrique, I know nothing of what you speak of, I'm but an "unknown and faceless Nairalander" grin cheesy wink
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by proo212(m): 10:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
I think the 968 came with 3.0 litres and the 944 with 2.5 or 2.7 and 3.0 actually (just googled it) I always remembered the 968 came with only the 3.0 litres. A decent 944 is still a head turner.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by tdie: 11:54pm On Jul 14, 2014
@yungboss.... I totally envy you... Will be following this project with avid interest. I'm myself also looking at another german car restoration this year- though the car is quite older than your Porsche- a 1966-68 Mercedes 200 (W110).

Do keep us updated.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 2:13am On Jul 15, 2014
tdie: @yungboss.... I totally envy you... Will be following this project with avid interest. I'm myself also looking at another german car restoration this year- though the car is quite older than your Porsche- a 1966-68 Mercedes 200 (W110).

Do keep us updated.

I have a 67 and an 72 250S in the stable. Let me know if you have any questions.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 2:21am On Jul 15, 2014
If I have time I will try to scan some items from my library for you so that you can be motivated.

The Cars book is my bible and what I refer to when accessing my bucket list. If it's not in that book then it's most likely not worth my time.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by sultaan(m): 4:48am On Jul 15, 2014
I have read all the pros but if I have to look at this project from a different point of view it is a classic symptom of the mid-life crisis grin grin.

You came across a used 1987 pangoloclassic Porsche so you thought you might save it from the crusherrestore it.

You might want to know why the previous bankrupt owner want to sell it and existing condition(apart from his empty purse).

If the owner is the first magaowner then it might still be well taken care of but if the has owned for a short time then you know that was a failed restore bankrupcy

A 1987 restore requires a garage, time, patience and money. The car could be rare because they were very unreliable or expensive to maintain. So if this crisis is going to take what you are willing to do normally like engine rebuild then you can just buy the regular crisis models like Corvette, Miata, Cayman, 911,Z4.

You do have a daily driver is the Porsche worth the restoration cost plus insurance just to be driven occasionally or which one will you rather drive in to a tree with for your safety. Then there is the issue of parts.

If you strongly disagree with all my negative views go buy it, if you agree with some get a newer model

3 Likes

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 15, 2014
sultaan: I have read all the pros but if I have to look at this project from a different point of view it is a classic symptom of the mid-life crisis grin grin.

You came across a used 1987 pangoloclassic Porsche so you thought you might save it from the crusherrestore it.

You might want to know why the previous bankrupt owner want to sell it and existing condition(apart from his empty purse).

If the owner is the first magaowner then it might still be well taken care of but if the has owned for a short time then you know that was a failed restore bankrupcy

A 1987 restore requires a garage, time, patience and money. The car could be rare because they were very unreliable or expensive to maintain. So if this crisis is going to take what you are willing to do normally like engine rebuild then you can just buy the regular crisis models like Corvette, Miata, Cayman, 911,Z4.

You do have a daily driver is the Porsche worth the restoration cost plus insurance just to be driven occasionally or which one will you rather drive in to a tree with for your safety. Then there is the issue of parts.

If you strongly disagree with all my negative views go buy it, if you agree with some get a newer model

Certain 911 were made in the same era of the 944 so they are as modern as each other.

Do you realize that you mentioned the word Miata on the same thread as a 944 and 911 and Corvette - sacrilege.

PS: I love Miatas but only MonsterMiatas - powered by Ford 302 V8 engines.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 15, 2014
Nice choice of cars, CityNG.

On a side note though, you really remind me of my brother Somorin1. Similar knowledge level, and passion for the older models. Are you one and the same?

2 Likes

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2014
CityNG:

Without seeing pictures and knowing how some Nigerians have total disregard for vehicle maintenance I will be holding my judgement until you post pics.

Now, the 924 and then the 944 were trend setters when they were released. They were technological powerhouses (as things go maybe even a Kia Sephia has more horsepower than that now) and were the talk of the automotive town back then.

I would restore one but I have already checked off the 924/944 from my bucket list and there are other cars to be sampled.

A good engine candidate is if you can get your hands on a Buick 215 V8, it was used in many British vehicles like the Rovers. This engine can be rebuilt to make huge horsepower (I have a friend with a 750hp). It's all alloy so very lightweight (there may be some steel block though) and should be very cheap in Nigeria (Land Rovers have them). The engine is even lighter than the I4 that Porsche used.

So unless something is totally wrong with this car then it's an automotive buy.

Another thing that I do is to speculate. Buy the car, clean it up, do easy repairs/upgrades and then see if you can flip it. I am sure there's going to be a German in Nigeria that may want it for Sunday cruises. I say this because once you remove the engine and start dismantling it looses value totally until it is completed.

Re sobrique, I know nothing of what you speak of, I'm but an "unknown and faceless Nairalander" grin cheesy wink
good thought bro, a Buick 215 v8 may not be easy to find here, especially being an old engine...was thinking of a direct swap, from another 944 engine, since i'm not fully comversant with the operation of this vehicle, I'm looking at the 250bhp engine...
it seems parts for this car are out there, saw some online.
wrt your Sobriquet, you remind me of Somorin wink
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:50am On Jul 15, 2014
Siena: Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing this project take off.
Thanks, after the terms of purchase are sorted
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:52am On Jul 15, 2014
tdie: @yungboss.... I totally envy you... Will be following this project with avid interest. I'm myself also looking at another german car restoration this year- though the car is quite older than your Porsche- a 1966-68 Mercedes 200 (W110).

Do keep us updated.
good to be inspired by your A4 restoration project. The 60s mercedes is quite old. Any one found yet?
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:54am On Jul 15, 2014
CityNG: If I have time I will try to scan some items from my library for you so that you can be motivated.

The Cars book is my bible and what I refer to when accessing my bucket list. If it's not in that book then it's most likely not worth my time.
quite alot if books there, I know I won't have many issues when I finally get down on it. Thanks.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2014
sultaan: I have read all the pros but if I have to look at this project from a different point of view it is a classic symptom of the mid-life crisis grin grin.

I didn't really get the "mid-life crises" aspect of your comment. Thanks, I'll consider your opinion too. But it's not going to be a daily driver. Like CityNG suggested, it may be handed over to someone somewhere in the end...but let's see how it turns out
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by tdie: 2:45pm On Jul 15, 2014
yungboss:
I didn't really get the "mid-life crises" aspect of your comment. Thanks, I'll consider your opinion too. But it's not going to be a daily driver. Like CityNG suggested, it may be handed over to someone somewhere in the end...but let's see how it turns out

if you're looking to resell, then I'd advice you not to bother. Most Nigerians do not understand the concept of car restoration. Imagine someone pricing to buy my Audi for 900K- that was after he had gone through my restoration thread o...! His excuse was thatI bought the Car already Nigerian used.

Another point to note is that if you're going to be doing a Porsche restoration, you might probably end up paying premium for replacement parts. I remember even the chaps from "Wheelers Dealers" on Discovery channel complaining about high cost of Porsche parts when they were restoring a Boxster and later also a 944.

Summary: Restore only if you won't mind the expenses (and trust me, it can get quite high...), and if you intend to keep her...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
tdie:

if you're looking to resell, then I'd advice you not to bother. Most Nigerians do not understand the concept of car restoration. Imagine someone pricing to buy my Audi for 900K- that was after he had gone through my restoration thread o...! His excuse was thatI bought the Car already Nigerian used.

Another point to note is that if you're going to be doing a Porsche restoration, you might probably end up paying premium for replacement parts. I remember even the chaps from "Wheelers Dealers" on Discovery channel complaining about high cost of Porsche parts when they were restoring a Boxster and later also a 944.

Summary: Restore only if you won't mind the expenses (and trust me, it can get quite high...), and if you intend to keep her...

There's a clear difference between a running restoration and tarting up a car.

We haven't seen pictures yet.

Maybe all this car needs is a good wax/polish, change fluids, clean fuel tanks and injectors, vacuum the interior and then to drive around on Sundays.

There is balance line where you can enjoy a running restoration versus a complete tear down.

On your build, you went balls out preparing the car for your own use. Which is admirable but will be a hard sell. In fact OP should find your thread and read it as a refresher.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2014
yungboss:

If you're having a mid life crisis then you should be done by now by looking at your fleet listed in your signature.

This does not qualify as a mid life crisis but shows you appreciate cars of yore that have heritage.

I don't think anyone is going to be restoring a Kia in the future.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
After agreeing on the price, they have been hesitating letting it go, its all been negotiating and re-negotiating. The guys involved are trying to put a high tag on it, irrespective of the fact that the car is grounded...they said they would see d real owner in Owerri on Saturday

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
Picture

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
Pic

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Fascia
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
Engine bay
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 4:29pm On Jul 17, 2014
I'm having difficulty uploading pics
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2014
If you can send it to Thommbaxxxxyahoo.com I would help you upload it.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 5:49pm On Jul 17, 2014
cne010: If you can send it to Thommban@yahoo.com I would help you upload it.
ok
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 6:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
I found these reports about the car:

PORSCHE 944 1987

Porsche 944 are available in the following years: 1990,1991
Recalls 1
Complaints 4

Recalls
Complaints

Date Complaint Filed: 01/03/1997

Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Manufacturer: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Date Of Incident: 11/13/1996

NHTSA ID Number: 70225

Squish VIN: WP0AA2950HN

Crash: No

Fire: No

Number Of Injuries: -

Number Of Deaths: -

Summary:

THE VEHICLE WAS BEING DRIVEN AND WENT UP IN FLAMES DUE TO THE FUEL LINES. THIS COMPONENT IS UNDER RECALL AND WAS ALLEGEDLY REPAIRED IN 1991. *AK

Date Complaint Filed: 01/11/1995

Component(s): AIR BAGS

Date Of Incident: 11/12/1994

NHTSA ID Number: 5448

Squish VIN: WP0AA2952HN

Crash: -

Number Of Injuries: 0

Number Of Deaths: 0

Summary:

FALSE DEPLOYMENT OF AIR BAGS WHEN BRAKING. "DUP: SEE 956540". *AK

Date Complaint Filed: 09/24/2002

Component(s): FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY

Date Of Incident: 09/16/2002

NHTSA ID Number: 383402

Squish VIN: -

Fire: Yes

Summary:

UNDER HOOD FIRE OCCURED FROM FUEL LINE SEPERATION WHILE BEING DRIVEN AND APPROACHING A STOP SIGN. NLM

Date Complaint Filed: 02/12/1997

Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS

Date Of Incident: N/A

NHTSA ID Number: 83382

Squish VIN: -

Summary:

BRAKES FADED, INCREASING THE OVERALL STOPPING DISTANCE/CAUSED ACCIDENT.

http://vinfreecheck.com/vin/WP0AB094XHN476033

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 6:56pm On Jul 17, 2014
PORSCHE 944 1987

Porsche 944 are available in the following years: 1990,1991
Recalls 1
Complaints 4

Recalls
Complaints

Issues With FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL

The hose material used in the short section of the high pressure fuel line hose, between the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator, is subject to hardening, and could cause fuel leaks between the hose and the metal pipe fittings.

Fuel leaks could ignite on the hot exhaust system, or any other source of ignition, resulting in an engine compartment fire.

Replace fuel line hose with hoses made of improved material.

System: fuel line.vehicle description: passenger vehicle.

http://vinfreecheck.com/recalls/PORSCHE/944/1987
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 7:07pm On Jul 17, 2014
surprisingly, the car does not look like one gutted in fire, i do not know the degree of fire though.
I think the major issues were related to the fuel lines. if purchased, an upgrade of the fuel system may be required. Heard the car was driven to port harcourt from Owerri...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
Regardless of how you may feel emotionally I would advise not paying top dollar for this car.

If you were in the US I would have advised you to pass on it and find another.

You can use this to your advantage though as not many people will want the car.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2014
cne010: If you can send it to Thommban@yahoo.com I would help you upload it.

Or alternatively to 944@NaijaDrives.Com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Ever Fooled Your Mechanic? / No Duty Payment No Plate Number Issuance - Customsng / Lexus RX350 P0037 Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.