Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,810 members, 7,827,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? (8315 Views)

What Is The Porsche 911 Cabrio Like To Drive? / Porsche Panamera GT As An Official Car In Nigeria! / Porsche Cayenne vs Lexus RX350 vs BMW X3 Vs Audi Q5 vs Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2014
CityNG: Regardless of how you may feel emotionally I would advise not paying top dollar for this car.

If you were in the US I would have advised you to pass on it and find another.

You can use this to your advantage though as not many people will want the car.
ok...I'll consider this opinion of yours, though difficult to let go as its a beautiful car...
it isn't what I'd ve rushed up...i intended taking it in piece...section after section over a period...
but as it stands now...

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
Pic

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 8:27pm On Jul 17, 2014
Another photo

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 17, 2014
Pics for youngboss

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
More

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 17, 2014
yungboss: surprisingly, the car does not look like one gutted in fire, i do not know the degree of fire though.
I think the major issues were related to the fuel lines. if purchased, an upgrade of the fuel system may be required. Heard the car was driven to port harcourt from Owerri...

The car was relatively new when the fire occurred so it would have been repaired properly at a Porsche dealership most likely.

This was a car that would have been purchased by an upper middle class professional, probably leased by a company.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2014
CityNG:

The car was relatively new when the fire occurred so it would have been repaired properly at a Porsche dealership most likely.

This was a car that would have been purchased by an upper middle class professional, probably leased by a company.
thanks alot cityNG and cne010...
the doors close with the natural 'thud', still looks new bodily-wise, I couldn't send the interior pictures as my Camera was acting up, couldn't use it properly today.has 103,000 miles on the clock...

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2014
Thanks cne010 for uploading the pics...

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 17, 2014
yungboss:
thanks alot cityNG and cne010...
the doors close with a natural 'thud', still looks new bodily-wise, I get interior picsas my Camera was acting up, couldn't use it properly today.has 103,000 miles on the clock...

I can feel your excitement grin

I can't wait for your feedback on your first invigorating drive. Porsche and BMW may be from the same country but the application of their philosophy is different.

This thread motivated me to push up the 914 onto the top of my bucket list. I started looking for one last weekend. Who knows, we may be both knee deep in Porsche parts soon.

The 944, unlike the 924 which was VW, is all Porsche. I've always felt that the engineers had to prove to the purists that the 944 was a Porsche despite the front mounted engine so they went all the way. The 924 was cobbled from off the shelf parts but not the 944.

During that era, the 911 was also rumored to be phased out and the 944 to be the replacement. Thankfully this never happened. Not that the 944/968 are bad but the 911 form factor is loved by purists.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
yungboss: Thanks cne010 for uploading the pics...

You're welcome bro
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 9:47pm On Jul 17, 2014
CityNG:

I can feel your excitement grin

I can't wait for your feedback on your first invigorating drive. Porsche and BMW may be from the same country but the application of their philosophy is different.

This thread motivated me to push up the 914 onto the top of my bucket list. I started looking for one last weekend. Who knows, we may be both knee deep in Porsche parts soon.

The 944, unlike the 924 which was VW, is all Porsche. I've always felt that the engineers had to prove to the purists that the 944 was a Porsche despite the front mounted engine so they went all the way. The 924 was cobbled from off the shelf parts but not the 944.

During that era, the 911 was also rumored to be phased out and the 944 to be the replacement. Thankfully this never happened. Not that the 944/968 are bad but the 911 form factor is loved by purists.
great learning boss, good to know you understand these cars, if purchased wink I'll be sourcing for genuine parts,from you guys...
wondering if it would beat up my newly transformed 323ci with a 3.0 motor...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by tdie: 10:38pm On Jul 17, 2014
Chai... you got my appetite all whetted up, Unfortunately, the owners of the Merc that I was interested in refused to sell :-(.
Where are you based? Wouldn't mind popping into your town when you do start the project.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
yungboss:
great learning boss, good to know you understand these cars, if purchased wink I'll be sourcing for genuine parts,from you guys...

If everything is in order, the Porsche will loose the BMW in extended curves that has switchbacks. It was a formidable weapon back then. They are different cars for different purposes.

If you show up at a meet in a BMW sedan/Coupe is says "I'm an intelligent professional with sharp taste", in the Porsche especially a red one it's "I'm an intelligent professional with impeccable taste but I take no prisoners". grin

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 17, 2014
Looks good. Hard to tell from the limited pictures if it's a facelift or pre-facelift car. A straight shot of the dash would make that clear.

The 944 was an evolution of the 944 - which was actually built by Audi, in order to gain experience in the fully galvanised process, a rare process at the time. The original 1984cc engine was an Audi engine, first used in the C2 Audi 100. The same engine was later used in the Volkswagen LT.

The 944 is more Porsche, despite it's 924 origins. The Audi influence remains though - rear lamp bulb holders, HVAC, transmission, ignition lock, wiper motor and a host of other parts are Audi-sourced. Most of the HVAC items carry the part number prefix of 811, which was the same as contemporary Audi 80 (B2 / type 81). Gearbox code is 093, and later 016, lifted from the Audi range.

Good thing the lowly 1984cc engine was not carried over from the 924, all the 944 engines were Porsche's own.

These similarities became apparent to me many years ago (back in 1994) when a friend of mine purchased a 1991 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet, in Guards Red (great car). This car was an insurance write-off (it had been stolen, and recovered after the insurance had settled the claim from the original owner).

It took 3 months to restore this car, and it was then the Audi influence became clear to me. It was partially stripped, so needed a LOT to get her back to her former glory.

Youngboss, bite the bullet, and buy this car, if you can. If this restoration is done properly, it's going to cost you plenty. I don't know how long this car has been neglected, and what the current state is, but at least, one thing's clear - rust will be the very least of its problems.

DME electronics however WILL be.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
All things being equal, a Porsche 944 will trounce a BMW with similar output, especially if the roads are twisty. The 944's near 50:50 weight distribution means it handles beautifully.

Having a front-mounted engine, and the Audi transaxle at the rear was no accident on Porsche's part. A well balanced Sports Coupe, the battery was mounted at the rear, on the right of the trunk, with the same space on the left occupied by a solid steel weight, suspended on sprung rubber, to replicate the weight of a genuine Porsche / Bosch / Varta battery on the other side.

Such was Porsche's attention to detail with the 944.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 17, 2014
The first thing I would do with this car, is source the CORRECT wheels for the period. Those aftermarket jobs don't do it any justice, and if originality is your quest (as it should be on a car like this) they need to be junked.

What year exactly is this car? I may have missed it in previous posts.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 18, 2014
Siena: The first thing I would do with this car, is source the CORRECT wheels for the period. Those aftermarket jobs don't do it any justice, and if originality is your quest (as it should be on a car like this) they need to be junked.

What year exactly is this car? I may have missed it in previous posts.

I see 1987 which leaves me a bit confused but that's what the report says.

I agree on the wheels but he should check the name in case they are maybe factory from another Porsche model.

A motivating picture for OP.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 18, 2014
Siena: All things being equal, a Porsche 944 will trounce a BMW with similar output, especially if the roads are twisty. The 944's near 50:50 weight distribution means it handles beautifully.

Having a front-mounted engine, and the Audi transaxle at the rear was no accident on Porsche's part. A well balanced Sports Coupe, the battery was mounted at the rear, on the right of the trunk, with the same space on the left occupied by a solid steel weight, suspended on sprung rubber, to replicate the weight of a genuine Porsche / Bosch / Varta battery on the other side.

Such was Porsche's attention to detail with the 944.

I learned how to be respectful to 944 when I attempted to chase one in my Mazda RX7. I could see the taillights on the straights but just abandoned me at any hint of a curve. The RX7 is another monster, especially the turbo.

* Pictures are NOT my cars.

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 2:49am On Jul 18, 2014
[b][/b]
Siena: Looks good. Hard to tell from the limited pictures if it's a facelift or pre-facelift car. A straight shot of the dash would make that clear.

The 944 was an evolution of the 944 - which was actually built by Audi, in order to gain experience in the fully galvanised process, a rare process at the time. The original 1984cc engine was an Audi engine, first used in the C2 Audi 100. The same engine was later used in the Volkswagen LT.

The 944 is more Porsche, despite it's 924 origins. The Audi influence remains though - rear lamp bulb holders, HVAC, transmission, ignition lock, wiper motor and a host of other parts are Audi-sourced. Most of the HVAC items carry the part number prefix of 811, which was the same as contemporary Audi 80 (B2 / type 81). Gearbox code is 093, and later 016, lifted from the Audi range.

Good thing the lowly 1984cc engine was not carried over from the 924, all the 944 engines were Porsche's own.

These similarities became apparent to me many years ago (back in 1994) when a friend of mine purchased a 1991 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet, in Guards Red (great car). This car was an insurance write-off (it had been stolen, and recovered after the insurance had settled the claim from the original owner).

It took 3 months to restore this car, and it was then the Audi influence became clear to me. It was partially stripped, so needed a LOT to get her back to her former glory.

Youngboss, bite the bullet, and buy this car, if you can. If this restoration is done properly, it's going to cost you plenty. I don't know how long this car has been neglected, and what the current state is, but at least, one thing's clear - rust will be the very least of its problems.

I'm really at a loss as to why the pics in my Camera aren't useable, I'll clean them out and get other shots. It's a 1987 model, red colored, looks a replica of what cityNG has above...it's got no visible rust on it and the body still looks great, thick metal sheets, the interior is in a poor shape though.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 2:56am On Jul 18, 2014
CityNG:

I learned how t be respectful to 944 when I attempted to chase one in my Mazda RX7. I could see the taillights on teh straights but just abandoned me at any hint of a curve. The RX7 is another monster, especially the turbo.

Not my cars.
cheesy only pushed the RX7 in PlayStation ...
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 2:56am On Jul 18, 2014
Siena: Looks good. Hard to tell from the limited pictures if it's a facelift or pre-facelift car. A straight shot of the dash would make that clear.

Production of the 924 was actually subcontracted to VW, not Audi, when VW/Audi decided not to proceed with the concept vehicle they (VW/Audi) asked Porsche to produce.

The only major part that was Audi was the engine from the Audi 100 as you stated (but was also found in the VW LT vans) as well as ONLY the gears inside the transaxle. It was truly a parts bin car so I wouldn't be surprised if it has little bits and bobs from the VAG/Porsche parts bin.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by sultaan(m): 3:56am On Jul 18, 2014
@ OP

If you listen to all that crap I posted earlier you might miss an opportunity to own a unique car I thought is was one of those banged up sitting on wood type but from that pic even I can get that thing running.

Normally the engine would have been gutted by those murderers but this car looks intact you just have to see if the engine is good by starting is up but before then inspect and check electronics by placing a new battery manually turning the crank, checking belts, the oil and oil in coolant, purge fuel lines and ready to go.

If I was there I will buy it.

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
I wish the @youngboss is watching Dstv channel 121

Discovery channel - classic car rescue is restoring a similar Porsche
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 18, 2014
cne010: I wish the @youngboss is watching Dstv channel 121

Discovery channel - classic car rescue is restoring a similar Porsche

Are you talking about the 928?

"EPISODE 1: PORSCHE 928
In this episode of Classic Car Rescue, no-nonsense, Cockney mechanic, Bernie Fineman, and his partner - Canadian car dealer, Mario Pacione - take on an eighties super car - the Porsche 928. But what starts off looking like a match made in heaven, soon turns into a bitter divorce when the wreck they buy turns out to have unwanted hidden depths...
READ MORE ›
Years of water damage and neglect has taken its toll - bubbling the paintwork, rusting nuts, bolts and screws and seizing the brakes. But the final straw is the 928's complicated electrics going haywire and trapping a disgruntled Mario inside the car!

The car's only saving grace is its performance. Once Bernie and his team of crack mechanics have serviced the engine, the Porsche is taken to a rolling road to put it through its paces. The results are unexpected and very welcome. The rescued 928 surpasses the boys' expectations by managing to achieve even more power than the original manufacturer's specifications.

The only question is - will the rescued Porsche 928 perform when it comes to value? It's all down to its assessment and road test by car expert and former racing driver, Paul O'Neil. Will the outcome of three weeks blood, sweat and tears be a profit or a loss?"

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 12:56am On Jul 19, 2014
@cityNG yeah that episode!

1 Like

Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 19, 2014
Yungboss, not all the pictures in page 1 is showing, please correct that. I've been following this thread silently.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 19, 2014
lomomike: Yungboss, not all the pictures in page 1 is showing, please correct that. I've been following this thread silently.

He had issues with his camera.

I think CNE010 posted majority of the pictures.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by lungwun(m): 10:30am On Jul 19, 2014
yungboss:

Okay, I'll bite but I'm more interested in how you got the M54 3.0 straight six in the e46. You need to create a thread for that ASAP.

I've been looking for ways to give my 323ci more power. You might have just helped me.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2014
lomomike: Yungboss, not all the pictures in page 1 is showing, please correct that. I've been following this thread silently.
yes, I had issues with some of the pics...i got the interior and other parts but couldn't get it out of the Camera to my system...
but I'll get more pictures, I have deleted the ones captured earlier, please bear with me.
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 3:32pm On Jul 19, 2014
lungwun:

Okay, I'll bite but I'm more interested in how you got the M54 3.0 straight six in the e46. You need to create a thread for that ASAP.

I've been looking for ways to give my 323ci more power. You might have just helped me.
I didn't really follow the conversion closely, but what I basically got was the engine, every other stuff fitted. I haven't even picked up the car yet...i'll give you more info on that
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 19, 2014
yungboss:
I didn't really follow the conversion closely, but what I basically got was the engine, every other stuff fitted. I haven't even picked up the car yet...i'll give you more info on that

Hopefully you won't be challenged by the automotive inepts amongst us who will be ready to argue that BMW never made a 323 with a 3.0 motor lol
Re: The Porsche 944 Project: A worthy undertaking? by yungboss(m): 7:40pm On Jul 19, 2014
CityNG:

Hopefully you won't be challenged by the automotive inepts amongst us who will be ready to argue that BMW never made a 323 with a 3.0 motor lol
lol, i hope not...the m54 3.0 in the 330i, 2001/2 BMW e46. It was a direct swap...i have to fix the ABS and a few other stuffs so I haven't picked it up yet.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dangers Of Overloading Your Vehicle / Help Me Choose Between Honda Accord 2005 (DC) And Toyotal Camry 2008 (muscle) / Pros And Cons Of Venza

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.