Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,281 members, 7,818,955 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

IFY - A Romantic Thriller - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / IFY - A Romantic Thriller (54770 Views)

Tarasha - (An Action Thriller) - Story Of The Month - January 2016 / Ify , A Romantic Thriller Continuation . / 17 Awosika-a Crime/action Thriller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
This is very interesting

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 4:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
It was just a small one-room apartment and I have taken the pains to clean it up and keep the place in order so as to make it look very presentable.

There was nothing in the room that spells grandeur, no fancy flat screen but just my 21-inch TV, my Nulec standing fan, my Toshiba DVD player and my Aiwa CD player that occupied a corner of the room. I had no comfortable settees, just my 20-inch family-sized Mouka mattress that also served as my settee, my old Inspiron 510 Dell laptop sitting on the reading table, my two chairs, and my wardrobe.

The small refrigerator, the furry rug on the floor and the colorful turquoise satin curtains completed my furnishing. I also made sure the fragrance from the Ambi Pur air freshener completed the feeling and I was hoping she was going to find it impressive.

She did. A wow just escaped her lips and her obvious happiness made my day! She couldn’t hide her happiness. This time around she didn’t even ask me for a seat. She just tossed her handbag to one side and threw herself on top of my mattress.

Why was she behaving in this way? I was quite surprised with her behavior because I never expected that. Obviously, she felt freer in my place than when she was at Eze’s and I found that quite surprising. I watched her closely as she surveyed my place. Then after awhile, I said, “So what do I offer you, Madam Ify?”

“What do you have sir?”

“I have a lot of things to offer you but as I can see you have chosen the best which is my bed!” I said lewdly. She gave me the evil eye and told me that she has now confirmed that I really had a very dirty mind.

We laughed and I told her to excuse me to go and check if any of my neighbor’s kids were around so that I could send them on an errand to buy for us something to drink. When I came back, I saw her leafing through one of the Awake! magazines that I had stacked beside my mattress.
“So you read Awake?” she asked me.

“Yes, I do. A lot, in fact! Very very informative!” I chorused.

“Hmm…”

“What? Anything the matter? You don’t read it?” I asked her.

“Of course, I do read them occasionally and yes, it is very informative but I must confess I don’t like reading the other one, what do they call it again, em… em…?”

“You mean Watchtower…?” I put in.

“Exactly! Yes, Watchtower. I don’t like reading it.”

“Me too,” I said. “Although I still get to read it occasionally, if not for anything, just for reading sake.”

“I know.”

I wanted to ask her what exactly she knew but a knock sounded on my door and interrupted my thoughts. I went to get the door. It was Ebuka, my neighbor’s kid and he had returned with the drinks. I pushed the chilled Maltina and the opener towards her to indicate that was hers while I grabbed my favorite Star.

She thanked me and proceeded to use the opener. After, she passed the opener to me and I did the same. As I started to sip the cold beer, I told her that I will soon be preparing some special food for her and when she asked me what I was going to be preparing, I told her that it was my special indomie treat of course!

She simply laughed and told me that she knew I was going to say just that. She then asked me to describe to her how I normally prepare it. I hesitated a little but when I discovered she was really serious, I gently moved towards her and sat on the mattress but not very close to her, looked straight into her eyes, and then I proceeded to tell her the simple steps with which I normally prepare the noodles and how I could get it done in just under five to ten minutes or less just by steaming the noodle in hot water and then adding the egg which could either be scrambled or simply boiled.

She listened attentively without interrupting as if she had no idea of what I was talking about and I found that quite amusing. Maybe, she just likes the sound of my voice. Her eyes ran over my face as I talked and I made sure I maintained a very steady eye contact with her.

When I was through, she clapped for me in a complete show of mockery. She then asked me if I liked eating jollof rice and I told her that I was a confirmed gourmet. She asked me if I knew how to prepare it and I told her that I was a complete novice there.

She briefly chastised me for not being able to cook which she attributed to nothing but just my inattentiveness, laziness and ignorance of the all-important fact that women find men who cook romantic.

“Don’t you know your wife will so much appreciate you for that? Besides, she will never have any reason to take you for granted by starving you of food simply because she knows you can cook,” she added.

I told her I was ready to turn a new leaf and I was ready to learn everything there is to learn about preparing different types of dishes. “I believe the only reason why I don’t know how to cook is because I am yet to get a pretty and sexy teacher like you who will be patient enough to guide me all the way,” I quipped.

She smirked, gave me a lewd look from under her eyelashes, and shook her head in disbelief—at my naughtiness, probably. Then she announced to me to get my act together and get my things ready because she was going to prepare some jollof rice for me. In her words, she said I was going to eat some real jollof rice prepared by a woman.

I told her I was already salivating and looking forward to that because it has really been a long time since I last had such a meal. She asked me if I could get some foreign rice, fresh tomatoes, onions, ice fish, pepper, some spices and groundnut oil. I told her to consider it done.

I was lucky because the kiosk where I could get all those things she mentioned was just around the corner otherwise I would have fallen into the trouble of going all the way to the market, which was really far from my place, to purchase them. I quickly excused myself and dashed out.

Six minutes later or so, I was back. As I unpacked the things I bought from the polythene bag, she joined me to help me. I handed them over to her and I moved to the back of my door where I kept my little stove. Again, there were no fancy microwave or gas cooker but, I guess, she didn’t even notice—or complain.

We took the stove and the items I bought to the general kitchen which was located away from the main building. She made the fire with a lighter and then she asked me for the pot. She poured some water from my jerrycan into the pot before placing the pot on the fire. While she allowed the water to boil, she proceeded to cut the fresh tomatoes.

I was keenly watching her as she worked effortlessly. Occasionally, she will look up and smile at me or to ask me what I was thinking or why I was staring at her.

“Nothing,” I would say to her each time she asked.

But it wasn’t the whole truth. Actually, it has always been like that with me and I was savoring the excitement and considering the prospects of starting a relationship with her already.

I could feel the growing sexual tension between us. I knew it started right from that first time I saw the look that jumped into her eyes the very moment I joined her in the bed some moments ago which registered immediately to me that she was also feeling or thinking about it. Even though it happened so swiftly and was gone too soon, I knew what I saw.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by anasbeaut(f): 5:36pm On Sep 07, 2014
More! More!! I'm already salivating for jollof rice. Ur descriptive technique is just wow

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Abuklaw(m): 7:56pm On Sep 07, 2014
More update please. I am glue to this thread because of I have refreshed this page more than normal in the last few hours

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 8:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
Abuklaw: More update please. I am glue to this thread because of I have refreshed this page more than normal in the last few hours

Ha ha ha...@beg no turn yaself into a refreshner kiss
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
anasbeaut: More! More!! I'm already salivating for jollof rice. Ur descriptive technique is just wow

Hahahaaa...Ana, no bi only jollof tongue
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Abuklaw(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
Please come and update now oooooo.
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:06pm On Sep 07, 2014
That was why I would occasionally hold her gaze whenever our eyes met, then my eyes will deliberately stray and linger on her mouth and watching her lips for awhile before letting them drop and moving slowly down south. I knew what I was doing. I was subtly sending her a seductive message that I want her.

I knew the effect such things have on women and that was exactly the sexual tension I wanted to create in her since I also knew that most women, even if they don’t want to admit it, take so much pleasure in knowing that a man finds them se xually attractive. I also knew I was keeping her brain busy imagining and thinking about what I could be thinking about her as I stared lustfully at her.

I was secretly amused by her discomfort and the way her eyes will dart away after briefly holding my gaze as if she didn’t want to betray her own feelings. I also noticed that her eyes would occasionally travel to the thin scar that I had just a little above my right eyebrow as she searched my face. Maybe it’s true that some women really do find body scars on their guys sexy.

The water was now boiling. She poured the rice into the pot to simmer. “Hmm. Ain’t you going to do something? Or do you just want to stand there and keep staring at me like a mumu?”

I told her I preferred to stand here and stare at her like a mumu. Mumu is the Nigerian slang for a foolish person.

“I wonder what you are even staring at… huh?” she accused me knowingly. “Please, help me cut the onions, will you?”

I told her I was in the kitchen for her cooking lessons like we agreed and not to cut onions.

“Then, stop staring and focus on the learning! Now give me the onion!”

As I handed the onion to her, I said, “You know it would have been easier to stop if you were not dressed like this?” She rolled her eyes at me but I could see she was so pleased.

I told her I would try to focus but I complained and told her that I was not happy with the fact that rice was definitely going to take a much longer time to get done quite unlike my favorite indomie which, if she had allowed me to do it my own way, by now we would have been through with the meal.

She told me to shut up and stop complaining which I did immediately. She started to cut the onions. I was watching her as she diligently worked and I marveled at how she was able to put up with the onion fumes that were partially blinding me already.

It was time to rinse the rice. She brought down the pot from the fire and poured the rice into a sieve. She told me this was done to reduce the starch content of the rice and I told her I was aware of that.

When she announced it was now time to prepare the sauce, and told me to help her cut the iced fish and the tomatoes, I quickly excused myself and told her I just remembered I have to update my blog with a new article and also fill an online job application right away before it becomes too late.

“You lazybones… do you think I don’t know you are running away? Is this how you are going to learn…?”

I was gone before she could complete the statement. She was right. I was running away. Truly, I hate cooking. In fact, I hate anything that has anything to do with cooking, things like cutting the vegetables, fish, or onions, for example. Worse still, I cannot stand the long hours of waiting that was usually involved. I don’t think I will ever have that patience.

That is why I have come to depend on restaurants so much. They are simple, fast and the best part is that they offered more choice. If you say I’m just being impatient, you are right. If you say I am not being economical, you might be right too but if you say the food they serve us in most of those restaurants are not hygienic and delicious enough, who knows, you might also be right but please don’t allow Mama Eloka, the short fat lady who runs my favorite eating joint to hear that unless you want her to call you ‘an enemy of progress’ and curse you and your entire generation. The woman can get abusive at times with her sharp tongue!

Uchman had told me on several occasions that he suspects Mama Eloka was using jazz, which means charms and diabolic means in Nigerian parlance, to attract customers to her restaurant because the place was really booming and he couldn’t understand why people kept on coming and coming.

In her defense, I would remind Uche that Mama Eloka was simply the best cook around and the tastiness of her food was the only reason why we, her loyal customers, always have a reason to return, not minding the fact that her price was a bit higher than the others. I didn’t mention the other reason that Mama Eloka also had a lot of pretty girls, who are most often skimpily dressed, as waitresses. In the end, I would invite Uch to follow me to that place to give her a trial and he would forcefully decline.

It didn’t surprise me. Uche is that type of person. He can be so obstinate. Once his opinion about something is set, it’s set. What really surprised me was that Uchman stopped saying all those negative things the very day he finally tasted the woman’s Egusi soup with fufu.

Afterwards, while picking his teeth with a toothpick, and making some ugly sounds that was driving me mad with the way he was trying to forcefully dislodge the meat particles from his teeth with his tongue in the process; he told me that the beef tasted so good. Foolish boy! I acted as if I didn’t hear him well although I made sure he got my meanest I-told-you-so-didn’t-I evil eye.

I left Ifeoma at the kitchen and decided to pass the time by going through my Visual C# tutorials on my laptop. I didn’t notice as the time flew by but I did notice the nice aroma that wafted into my room. I went outside to confirm whether it was coming from the kitchen, like I joyfully hoped.

Confirmed.

I nodded my head in appreciation as I sauntered into the kitchen and made some sniffing noise which made her to smile, although she feigned some anger at first when she saw me heading towards her direction. I told her that I was through with the online application and I was now ready to help her—with whatever she wants now.

She made a face at me and told me to go back and continue filling more forms because the food will still take another two hours before it will be finally ready. I wanted to call her a wicked witch again but I remembered she could hit so hard so I kept my thought to myself and just obeyed.
Ten minutes later, she brought in the pot of food into my room.

“Ahh… thank God!” I said. “Please can we start because I am so so famished! And the powerful aroma of this jollof rice is not even helping matters at all…”

“Can you hear yourself? I doubt if you can. Where are your plates or are you one of those guys who prefer eating directly from the pot?”

I showed her where I kept my plates. As she dished the food, I quickly went outside and sent Ebuka on an errand once more to buy some more refreshments for us.

Soon we settled down into the business of consuming the food. I sat on one of my chairs while she chose a comfortable spot on my bed. The food was very tasty indeed. I commended her for being such a wonderful cook and she smiled and thanked me.

I told her that from the way she was looking so sexy at the moment, no one will believe she could cook so well. She told me that from the way I was eating hungrily at the moment, no one would believe I could help out in the kitchen so well and we both burst into a fit of uncontrollable laughter which was only interrupted when Ebuka came back with the beer and malt drink I sent him to buy.

I really enjoyed the food. It was so delicious and better than whatever Mama Eloka was ever going to offer. For once, I had the opportunity to eat as much as I wanted. As I ate, I watched her. I could see it in her demeanor. It was obvious she enjoyed the fact that I loved her cooking.

As we ate, we made small talk. I liked the fact that seems to have a lot to tell with her curiosity and insightful questions she would occasionally throw my way.

I was really enjoying the moment and the cool breeze from the fan. When I was finally through, I thanked her for showing me what it really means to eat a woman’s food. I now opened the malt drink and handed it to her.

As we drank, I decided it was now time for me to get down to the business of the day which was to identify how she was able to guess—because I still want to believe she was guessing—that Eze’s crib wasn’t mine. Don’t think it ever escaped my mind. Maybe, I didn’t tell you but I hardly forget—certain things except they are things I really want to forget—which is ironical because I will still have to remember them to forget them.

“So Ify, when are you going to tell me…?”

“Tell you what…?”

“That thing! You know…?”

“What thing…? Oh… now I get it! I thought you said you already knew?”

“Yes, I think I have an idea how you were able to make a correct guess. It’s just that I want to know what helped you in reaching your conclusion. Don’t blame me; you know I’m a scientist? And we work with observations and inferences…”

“Then tell me how I knew, Mr. Scientist!”

“Ify, frankly speaking, I don’t have any idea.” I bowed down my head low in a complete show of resignedness, completely loss for words. She climbed out of the bed and moved closer to me. She patted me gently on the head before taking the other seat to sit while facing me directly.

“Oh poor you… look at him, looks like our Emeagwali has no solution to this one?” she said affectedly. Philip Emeagwali is the famous Nigerian scientist and acclaimed genius.

I looked up and looked directly into her eyes without saying anything. And there it was again—the same lost, passionate and longing look! She quickly tried to look away as if she didn’t want to give herself away but trust me on these things, even though that look lasted for just a fraction of a second, I got the message and something stirred inside me.

As a diversion, she was now forced to speak up and say something.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Abuklaw(m): 10:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
I am as curious as vincent to know what IFY has got up her sleeve
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 07, 2014
Thanks 4 dis update but please if it's possible make the subsequent ones longer than the previous ones abeg
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 8:02am On Sep 08, 2014
“Okay, look around you now, Vince, and tell me, what do you see?”

I wanted to tell her that I am seeing a very beautiful woman who wants to make love to me but I didn’t because I wasn’t sure how she would receive such a message.

The thing is that women can be funny at times. One moment they are flirting with you and completely lost in the fantasy, the next moment they are back to their right senses and thinking of how to run away from a predator like you, most especially when you make the mistake of actually sounding like a predator too with the things you say to them…

“I don’t know. You tell me.”

“Well, certainly for all it’s worth, sorry to say it but isn’t it so obvious that you are not a good scientist? You mentioned something about observation and yet it didn’t cross your mind that I might have been able to observe certain obvious things about that place you took me to the last time.”

“What things…?”

“That’s why I said you should look around you. Assuming you just walked into this very room right now and you were asked to describe the type of person living here, what are you going to say about this person?”

“A poor guy, obviously?!”

“Not really. You should be ashamed of yourself if that’s how you see yourself! Please try again, my friend!”

“Okay. A drunkard…?” I said, pointing at the bottles on the rug.

“Oh… Vince, please get serious for once!”

“But I am. It’s just that I don’t know what you are driving at and that is confusing me. So please, if you don’t mind, just tell me the answer, okay?”

She smiled. A beautiful smile. She reached out and took my hands in hers. It felt so good.

“Okay, listen let me tell you. If you look around this room, you will agree with me that you can easily discern that the person who lives here is an academician. Just take a look around you and tell me what you see? I have seen your collection of Awake! magazines. Look at your TELL and Newswatch magazines too. I can also see your GMAT study guide.

“I don’t know about you but to me this room belongs to someone who looks like he really enjoys learning. I can also see so many other magazines, newspapers, textbooks and novels neatly packed in different corners in this room. Look, see, your table is even littered with papers and stuffed with books, books, books my dear, I mean different types of books!”

She was right. I’ve said it before. I am an information junkie. It shocked me a little bit to know how little I knew that some things like what she was pointing out could easily give me away.

“So?”

“And so,” she continued, “when we were in that bus, you came across as someone who is quite knowledgeable and is also interested in learning. It was so easy to see that you were well-educated and I think I really liked that about you. But when you took me to that house, I found it so hard to reconcile the knowledgeable guy I saw in the bus with this person who stays in that house that completely lacked character, you know, a house that is completely soulless!”

Wow! Hmm!

“What?! Did you just say? You don’t mean that, do you?”

“Yes. The first impression I got about that place is that it was just like a hotel room, I mean, a very expensive hotel room, you know, the type of place where I believe you guys normally take your latest catch to, you know, to do it, if you know what I am talking about?”

“I don’t know.”

“Of course I know you don’t know! Now tell me the truth, was that what you had in mind? Was that what you planned… wanted to do to me—not minding that I was coming to your place for the very first time?”

Shït! I was trapped. I wouldn’t say it didn’t cross my mind to have sex with her, if I got the chance, but the truth was that I knew I always prided myself as a gentleman and the hallmark of gentlemanliness is the ability to delay all forms of gratification.

She was closely watching me and I knew whatever I said next would mean a lot to her so I hesitated for awhile to create the full effect. Then I switched on my seductive boyish grin. I looked directly into her eyes and said, “No.”

She considered it. Then she suddenly breathed a great sigh of relief and said, “Good. I’m glad you said that. In fact, let me give you a benefit of doubt and say I believe you.”

“But…”

“But what?”

“Never mind. Continue.” Jesus! I knew I had to be very careful with her. I was beginning to see that this girl was no ordinary girl. I was dealing with someone who was not only highly intuitive but also very intelligent and sharp.

She hesitated before continuing. “But this place, I mean this very room, really represents you. That was why, if you noticed, I was so happy when we came in here.”

“I see.” I hissed, suddenly feeling dejected.

“Seriously, I mean it.”

“So, tell me the truth, what else does this place tell apart from the fact that I am into learning? I want to know what you really meant when you said this place really represents me?” I put a lot of emphasis on represents.

She looked at me closely. She couldn’t understand why I was now moody all of a sudden. “Vince, what is the problem? Did I say something wrong? Oh… now I get it. You think I’m making references to the fact that you are still struggling in life? No way! Of course I believe you are trying your best and I am well aware of the tough economic situation of things in the country right now and how hard it is becoming for our graduates to get a job after graduation from the university in this country but that does not mean you should now kill yourself.

“I know you are really trying your best. As long as you are truly and seriously hustling and trying your best to make ends meet, I don’t see why you should be feeling so low because I doubt it if you even know that there are so many people who are in that same position. One thing I still believe… we all still believe, is that where there’s life there’s hope. And your own case is even different because I can see it and I know that it’s just a matter of time and you’ll blow. I am so sure about this. Yes. Mark my words, I can see it, I can feel it, I know you are creative and you are going places for sure! It’s just a matter of time!”

Where there’s life there’s hope. Oh, good ol’ Charles!

I don’t know if she just said all that to satisfy my bruised ego or whether she was telling the truth but one thing I now know about her, she knew how to say the type of things I really wanted to hear. Of course, you don’t need to tell me. I know I can be so egoistic, sometimes.

“But why is it not happening? I have this burning desire for great things I really want to do and achieve, I mean, there’s this feeling that I am supposed to be better than this!”

“Good! First thing is to recognize that you have a purpose and a destination. Many of us don’t even know this. Do you know how many people who are even wishing that they were you? I doubt you do. Please brighten up and look on the brighter side because I like you more when you are cheerful.”

I smiled.

“Ify believe me, I only took you there just to impress you. Understand me and where I am coming from, please. Eze’s father is the regional marketing manager of Airtel. That’s why he could afford that place and I just happen to be a very close friend to Eze which is why I feel that the house also belongs to me—you know, in a way? And in fact, I actually hang out there a lot…”

“I do understand but I hope you know that’s one of the problems with you guys. Sometimes, you make the mistake of thinking that the only way to impress a girl is by inflating yourselves and becoming what you are not. Tomorrow when the girl starts asking you for money, you start complaining and saying that she’s too demanding.

“Don’t you know that the way you start with a girl is the way she is going to expect things to continue between the two of you? And it doesn’t even stop there because she expects it to be like a progression. That’s the way our mind normally works. Besides, the way I see it, I think a girl will be more impressed with you if you are open and real to her. To tell you the truth, I wanted to feel the real you but somehow, it wasn’t just possible in that house!”

“Really…?”

“Yes! Well, one other thing you must also bear in mind is that there are different girls and contrary to what you guys believe, all girls are not the same. I believe each one of us have what they find interesting in a man depending on her own personality, sometimes her upbringing and most times, what she’s looking for in a guy and so before you go out of your way in trying to impress her, impress in quotes, rather than presuming, I think any sensible guy should always first of all try to understand the type of girl he’s with.”

There are different girls? All girls are not the same? First of all try to understand the type of girl he’s with? Was she trying to tell me something? Is she trying to tell me she’s different? Hmm… I really hope so, seriously.

“Hmmm, Ify, I think I like your insights. Yes, I’m dead serious! Really speaks a lot about you. Hmm, seems like you are full of wisdom too? I like that. Please, do keep it up, okay?”

“Thank you, Sir!”

“You are welcome.”

I smiled at her. I really like this girl. I was so glad and excited because her intelligent words have restored back my high spirits. I knew I said it earlier but she is indeed, a very sensible girl. I felt compelled to ask her how to impress a girl like her but I decided against it because not only did I not want to rush her into making certain conclusions about us, I also knew that most women like it more if you have an idea on how to impress them and make it look like a surprise rather than them having to tell you. Of course, women love surprises like mad!

I looked at her, and felt it was time to tease her so I lowered my voice and said, “So, Ify, since you are so good in describing a person from the things you see around the person’s home, how about this? Or haven’t you noticed it? Hello… Nicki…” I pointed towards a large poster of Nicki Minaj in a semi-nude outfit that adorned one corner of the wall in my room.

She shook her head in pity.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Abuklaw(m): 10:15am On Sep 08, 2014
Still following, IFY is one girl full of intelligence and charisma. I love the part where she says "the way you start with a girl is the way she will want thing to continue."

Not all girls are the same. Some of them are sane while others are stories for the god

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Flakkydagirl: 10:24am On Sep 08, 2014
That was beautiful....i really enjoyed reading the last four updates though they were too short..

And for one i love D̶̲̥̅̊ɪ̣̝̇§ Ify character,she's beautiful smart,intelligent,sensitive and understanding...

Pls update o...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2014
“Why…? What…? Why are you shaking your head?” I asked her.

“No comment.”

“Why?” I persisted.

She sighed. “Well, I think it is one of those things with men. I don’t know but I think you guys must be suffering from a certain type of chronic mental disease, or should I call it virus—the way you keep on looking at naked women—and the worst part is that it’s always as if you can’t get enough. Of course, I know someone like you will definitely put it everywhere. Not only on your wall, but in your phone and also in this your laptop! Seriously, I don’t just understand why you guys do such things.”

She called it a virus. I wonder what she would call it if she mistakenly stumbles upon my awesome p0rn collection which I have carefully and safely stashed away from all unauthorized access, most especially, from Uchman’s sticky fingers!

“You won’t so don’t even try to.” I cooed.

“Who even has that kind of time?” she scoffed.

“But wait… have you ever considered that it might just be a natural instinct for us men? That it might just be Mother Nature at work…?”

“Mother Nature at work, my foot!” she hissed.

“Why are you so bitter? I’m not God that made men to be that way, you know?”

“I’m not bitter. It’s just that I feel you guys should be able to control that impulse, or whatever it is! Besides, don’t you know that you are putting women under a lot of pressure by doing such things?”

“What type of pressure, if I may ask?”

“Vince, please leave me alone! Don’t talk as if you don’t know what I am trying to say?”

“What are you trying to say?” I asked her in a very husky voice.

She looked into my eyes and read the subtle suggestive message I was trying to pass on to her. The silence lasted for just a few seconds but it was enough for me to drive my message home. Girl I want you now girl and I know you want me too.

For want of something to say, she finally spoke up and said, “Ohh… Vince, you are just impossible. I know you know what I’m trying to say so please drop it!”

I didn’t say anything again but my eyes never left hers as I gazed deeply into her eyes and pleaded with her to continue with my eyes.

“Okay, fine. When you guys look at those images, it makes us women to always want to compare themselves with those models, like this one, all the time. It makes us to always want to look like them, since it seems that is what will draw the attention of you guys. It’s like a competition. And you will agree with me, that’s not an easy thing to be doing all the time, hence the pressure!”

“So I take it then that you are jealous?”

“Who… me? Jealous of who—of this one? Why…?” she pointed at poster on my wall and snorted.

“Because if you are, I think I might be able to come up with a better workable solution…?” I stated.

“Like…?”

This is it! It’s on! This is my opportunity and I am going to take it! Time to tune and spice things up!

“Like pulling Nicki down from that place right now and putting your own picture in its place, how about that? I’m already imagining and thinking about how wow you will look in —”

“Foolish boy! It is your own nude picture that will be plastered on the wall for every Tom, Dick and Harry to leer at!”

I said it! Wait a minute… did I just detect a slight change, almost like a softening, in the tone of her voice? Is she beginning to think of it? Of course!

That’s why I love this type of talk! It has a way of drawing people out and bringing out their inner thoughts. I love any kind of talk or debate that allows me to be freely making use of sexual innuendos without coming off as being offensive.

It also offered me the opportunity to flirt with her like I was doing with my eyes and voice at the moment. Well, if there was anything I was ever good in, it is the ability to steer or give any type of conversation or discussion a sex ual connotation!

I stood up, went to my CD player and slotted in a disc. It was my best Joe and R. Kelly R&B collection. I wanted us to listen to something cool and sensual. It was just right for the moment. My best friend nudged me from somewhere deep inside my trousers. Yeah man, you’re doin’ so great and as you can see, I’m already warming up! Just keep it up with the tempo bro!

“Ify, you too, you have a very dirty mind. You know I never said nude? But then, you don’t sound entirely indifferent as you want to make me believe you are?”

“Vince, I don’t know what else you want me to say.”

“I just want you to tell me what it says of me!”

“Okay, you really want to hear it?”

“Yes.”

“It tells me that you are an incurable perv,” she said with a very naughty smile and we burst into laughter.

“OK. Now’s my turn. Do you want me to tell you what this picture, I mean, what your reaction to this picture, says about you?” I asked, still reeling from the laughter.

“Yes. Go on, I’m listening,” she said.

“Just looking at you right now Ify, I don’t know why but I can easily tell that you are so jealous of Nicki and so afraid she’s going to take me away from you anytime from now…” I rolled my eyes at her as I said that. My voice was now very low, almost like a whisper. “But before that can happen, forgive me for saying this but I must say it because it is the truth, I want to tell you right now that, before God and Man, I find you much more appealing and ravishing than all the Nickis of this world.”

As I said that, I gently took her hand and pulled her towards me. There was no resistance. I was now in her space and when our bodies touched, I felt her slightly shiver. I put my right hand around her and turned her around so that we were both facing the large poster on the wall.
“Just look at her up there on the wall,” I continued. “Can’t you feel the pain in her eyes? Can’t you see her fake smile that doesn’t even reach her eyes? Can’t you see she’s so lonely up there watching us as we enjoy this special moment when we are so close like this and sharing our warmth together?” I was gently caressing her right upper arm as I spoke.

She was now unusually very quiet. I noticed she was also breathing very slowly and carefully. The whirling thoughts that must be going through her mind right now. The only sound that could be heard in the room was the soft Joe’s Treat Her Like A Lady.

I kept up with the tempo.

“She’s so fake but you, you are so real. I mean I cannot caress her like I am caressing you now,” As I said that, I moved my left hand suggestively and slowly over Nicki-on-the-wall boobs and hips area while caressing Ify’s neck with my right hand at the same time.

I could feel her body shiver once again. She was beginning to go soft on me. “I mean, I can’t even touch her like this like I am touching you now,” I added huskily as I gently touched her right b00b.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by domdan13(m): 8:32pm On Sep 08, 2014
Wonderful story bro...I can't help d curiosity...buh i gatz to wait patienyly for d next update.
.#FOLLOWING...
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 11:19pm On Sep 08, 2014

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2014
CHAPTER 10

Our relationship took off without any warning. I’d say it just happened. We didn’t even notice how much time we were spending together with each other. But I didn’t mind in any way simply because Ify was one of a kind, an enigma, to be precise.

To me, she was like the girl of my dreams. I was so glad that she is the type of girl who is quite knowledgeable about so many of those little stuff and tidbits that guys actually like to talk about.

At first, we started exchanging novels. She was the one who introduced me to Danielle Steele when she gave me Passion Promise to read. I couldn’t recall the last time any girl I was involved with asked for or gave me a book to read. I was very much impressed.

One day, out of curiosity I asked her if she was reading that much because she was a history student or just because she found reading interesting, her short response was: “Experience is the best teacher. Besides, readers are leaders!”

So terse. So straight to point. That’s her. And I couldn’t argue with that any further.

Most of the girls I hang around with were usually more interested in discussing the latest fashion or the latest eateries and joints that just opened up in Coal City. They prefer to gossip about their favorite Nollywood and Nigerian music stars and of course, how much money these stars are supposed to be making.

Most of their discussions center on their girlfriends’ relationships and other gossips about who is dating whom; who is breaking up with whom, and who is getting married to whom. I hardly hear them talk about their academics or even discuss the news and current affairs so you can imagine how appealing it was to me that Ify was a very much welcome change as she appeared to be more interested in knowledge—just like me.

She was smart quite alright and she was a very good conversationalist. I enjoy debating and arguing. As someone who liked to discuss virtually anything discussable in the world with no holds barred, I truly appreciated that in her.

I also like the fact that she was a great listener too and I truly enjoyed those moments when we will be cuddled together and I will be spinning her some fantastically exaggerated accounts of some things I did, or heard, or read about. Of course, I had so many of such bogus stories—coupled with Uchman’s input—swirling constantly in my vivid imagination and she seemed to like that.

She was a very much balanced girl and I liked that too. Just like I reveled in the thoughts that she was always sounding supportive and was equally interested in my career and in pushing me ahead with my career as a blogger and a programmer and always reminding me that it won’t be long and my unemployment status will become a thing of the past.

I just wish I could believe her.

But she really showed her concern where it came to my career and making progress in life. While we were out on a date one day, she just asked me nonchalantly if I would like to pursue a career in the Nigerian Police.

I paused for awhile before I said, “Hmm, seriously, the Nigerian Police? You mean if I would like to be a policeman? Hell… no! Not for me!” I replied.
“Why?” she asked in the same offhanded manner. “Do you have any particular reason why you don’t like or want it?”

“Hmm… to tell you the truth, I like my life so much. I don’t want to run the risk of chasing after daredevil armed robbers!”

She chuckled before she said, “So you think that’s what police work is all about?”

“See, Ify the truth is that I don’t like police work at all. I won’t lie to you. I don’t have any interest in that type of job. I don’t think I have the strength to stand by the roadside every blessed day and be stopping motorists. In fact, to tell you the truth Ify, I don’t think I will like to have anything to do with the police. I would always prefer a job that will have a direct connection with my field of study,” I reinstated.

I saw the flitting look in her eyes before she shrugged her shoulders and we continued with our meal. She didn’t bring up the police affair again but I had a tingling feeling that my reasons I gave didn’t go down so well with her from the way her eyes rested upon mine as if she were reading my mind before she went back to her feast.

But what was I supposed to say? I knew she was only trying to show me she cared but one thing I know about myself, I always like to say my mind. And God knows police work is definitely out of the question for me! Hmm, come to think of it, I wonder what even makes her think I would consider a career in the Police Force? The Nigerian Police for that matter! Didn’t she see what they did to us that very day? No, no way! Lord knows I’m not yet that desperate!

But all the same, the girl could be surprising with the things she can come up with and the questions she ask at times. And Lord knows how much I love surprises!

I was really enjoying everything about her. I liked the fact that she was sensible. I liked the fact that she was a good cook. Our sex life was also okay. The chemistry was there. Our relationship flourished. We were just having some nice moments and I didn’t even notice as the time flew by.

But I did notice that she was fast falling in love with me.

As our relationship progressed and we got to know more about each other, we started delving into some serious private issues like prying into each other’s family background and history. I have been meaning to do that for quite some time now but since I noticed she was not so keen on talking about her family, I didn’t press her any further.

But I did tell her about mine when she finally asked.

I told her that I was the only child of my late mother and she expressed her condolences. I told her about my uncle in Lagos and about some other cousins and relatives I also have. I also told her about my friends but I was careful not to divulge everything so as to leave some room for mystery and also give her something to look forward to.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 09, 2014
Really enjoying this!

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
Despite Ify's intelligence I think she is very cheap 2 hav fallin into Vince's sex trap. Nawa 4 her.

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:09pm On Sep 09, 2014
When it was her turn to speak about her own family, I couldn’t say if I was disappointed or not, that she did not divulge much about her family. She told me that her father was late and her mother was living in America with her other three siblings. Maybe she was also leaving some room for mystery too, who knows?

Anyway I like that and if that was the case, fine, I say bring it on.

When I jokingly asked her why she wasn’t living in the US with them and I questioned her reasons and the rationality in choosing to stay in a tumultuous country like Nigeria, she simply reminded me that we all cannot live in the US.

“If all of us migrate to the USA, who will then save this country for us?” she said to me.

“Okay. Are you trying to say you are hoping to save this country…?”

“Why not?!” she retorted back.

“This country cannot be saved! It’s beyond repair, my dear!”

“I don’t think so but on a second thought, don’t you think that’s even the more reason why we should want you to stay back and help us build a better Nigeria.”

“Okay, maybe, but you can still go to the US and enjoy a better standard of living or don’t you think so? No one says you cannot be making your positive contributions towards building a solid and better Nigeria from there, huh?”

“Vince, you are not serious. What better standard of living are you talking about? Don’t forget history has shown us that the Americans took it upon themselves to build the functional society they have now which everybody is envious of today. So, the way I see it, it means that if we want Nigeria to be like America, then it is left for us to do that for ourselves. We just have to stop the brain drain. We have to convert it to brain gain.” she firmly reinstated.

“Well, you have a point there but all the same, I still believe you’d have enjoyed a better standard of living in America. Don’t forget that life is too short…?”

She didn’t argue any further with me on that. She simply told me that everyone has different dreams and her own dream is not to abandon the country.

I didn’t contest that. She made a lot of sense. In fact, she always made a lot of sense. I so much like girls who have their own opinions, that is to say, girls who are not afraid to say their minds. Ify was beginning to sound like such a girl as the days went by and I liked that. She knew how to easily win arguments by quoting history and facts and I found that very very intriguing.

But then, a part of me didn’t accept her point on migrating to the US. You see, I could remember that when I was in the university, I had this great hope that my well-to-do maternal uncle who was well connected will see to it that I migrated to the US once I am through with my tertiary education in search of greener pastures as well as to further my studies.

He had said it himself so many times and he told me that what we call education in Nigeria is very much laughable and that America is the only place where I could really reach my full potentials. I believed and so much hoped in him for I knew my uncle always kept his promise. How was I to know what the future held for me? How was I to know that my favorite uncle who loved me so much will die in a fatal motor accident when I was in my final year?

And with his death, all my plans of travelling to America also went up in smoke. I think that was the turning point in my life. The future started looking so bleak for me from thence onwards. Worse still, I couldn’t depend on my polygamous father. He had so many of his other children to cater for. Besides, I never got the feeling that I was his favorite child. Of course, this must be as a result of the fact that for as far as I could recall, there was no love lost between him and my mother when she was still alive.

The only person I could depend on was me. And so many years after my graduation from the university, sadly though, I found that even that was not yet working.

C’est la vie. Such is life!

But Ify was very good in making her points. She always has a way of arguing and presenting her facts that normally makes me often wonder in amazement where she got all her facts from. One other thing I noticed and liked about Ify was that she was also ambitious.

It was also during one of our discussion sessions that I learnt that she was gunning for a first class honors. I don’t know why but somehow I was convinced that she wouldn’t have told me if I hadn’t enquired. Well, maybe that’s because she wasn’t even boastful. She was more like a silent achiever, which I also noticed and appreciated too.

So after close to six weeks of seeing and getting to know each other, it was time to finally make it official and we both decided to announce it to our friends. She even thought I was not happy we didn’t announce it earlier to them. She tried to make me understand that her last relationship didn’t end so well so she didn’t want her friends to start seeing her as someone who is always jumping from one relationship into another so fast.

I told her I perfectly understood. I didn’t tell her that I have a feeling that part of the reason why she didn’t want them to get to know me so soon was because I suspected she was afraid of being heartbroken and being jeered at assuming things didn’t pan out well between us eventually. I know some women, even close friends, do that sort of thing to each other.

I didn’t also tell her that I actually liked it that way because it will remove the unnecessary pressure that friends oftentimes pile on each other by knowingly or unknowingly pushing for a relationship to happen, sometimes without considering the true feelings of those involved or even the fact that certain relationships might have little or no chance to succeed.

But as it turned out, her friends took to me so quick. Was it my charming and cheerful nature at work again? Or maybe they were just trying to be civil and ladylike out of respect for their friend’s friend? Who knows, women usually do that sort of thing so much?

But I could see from the way they would be stealing glances at me that she must have told them some things about me and there is every possibility that they must have been saying and discussing certain things about me.

I had a feeling that they would be wondering how on earth our paths crossed. Who knows what Ify might have told them? I guess they were already wondering if I have done it with her. Were they studying and watching me closely to ascertain whether I was good for her or not? What was that animated but suspicious look I saw some of them give me sometimes? Well, with women, only God knows…

Anyway, I liked her friends too. They were very pretty and jovial. What man wouldn’t like to be surrounded by delectable women?

What Ify didn’t know was that there was no need to officially tell my guys about her, so to speak. Guys don’t need that type of special announcement. They have seen us together so many times. They could see for themselves that we were already in a kind of a relationship.

But then they have also seen me with so many different girls before hence the need to tell them that it was different this time around. Funnily enough, when I finally told them about my newly found relationship with Ify, they didn’t like the idea—for different reasons.

I knew why.

to be continued...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 10:11pm On Sep 09, 2014
getafe: Despite Ify's intelligence I think she is very cheap 2 hav fallin into Vince's sex trap. Nawa 4 dat her.

You said it! Vince's sex TRAP!!! grin cheesy grin
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 7:32am On Sep 10, 2014
Initially, when Eze noticed that something was developing between us, he didn’t hesitate to tell me, as a warning, that he didn’t like what was happening to me. I suspected Eze must have also noticed that I wasn’t frequenting his place that much anymore. I will just drop by occasionally and then take my leave.

He must have also noticed that theme of our discussions were no longer his favorite – girls, girls and girls. That meant I was not going to be sharing in his adventures and escapades with the ladies.

I knew it bored him to death anytime he brings up the subject and I will switch it and start talking about this wonderful girl I met called Ify. You have to understand him. Eze believed no woman was worth it and he thought I shared this same idea with him. He saw them as a plaything and he couldn’t understand why I was now singing a different tune.

He didn’t hesitate when he told me I must come back to my senses and stop joking. He questioned my sensibility and told me to beware and be very careful so as to never allow any girl sink her hooks into me no matter how beautiful or intelligent or caring she might seem. Of course, I have already told him that Ify was very intelligent and he knew how much I dig intelligent girls.

“Are you sure you are not falling in love with this Ify of a girl?” he will often ask me, with a worried expression on his face. I smiled but kept mum.
Finally he gave up and decided to keep mum too but not before telling me that although he knew it was not his business but as my best friend he thinks he must tell me, no, warn me that I should just watch it, the way I was going about this girl—what was her name again—Ifeoma, and to shut him up for good, I told him that I was completely in charge.

But was I?

Of course, I knew what Eze was talking about and yes, I was gradually changing so he has every reason to feel so worried or concerned or whatever he was feeling. For example, when Eze wanted to know how the sex went between Ify and I, I could easily see he was hugely disappointed when I didn’t disclose anything. That has never happened before as we used to wait for and drool over such stimulating stories. That must have told him something, something like a change is about happening. And I guess he didn’t like that at all.

Yes, people might yell they want change all the time but then if you look at it closely; most people don’t really like change because change, no matter how small, changes the dynamics of the status quo.

To make it worse, Eze didn’t like it that I was now colonizing and hoarding. That was our usual term. He felt that in the spirit of the non-written fair game pact we had that it wasn’t sportsmanly that I didn’t want to share Ify with him. But I couldn’t care less. I just told him to get ready to finally meet her formally.

The first time he saw her, he whistled loudly as I introduced them. I knew why I wanted them to meet officially. Both of them have heard of each other from me and since both of them meant a lot to me, I figured it would be great if I could sit back and watch how they will interact and get along with each other.

“Ify, this is the Eze I have been telling you about. This handsome guy you see here is the youngest billionaire and baddest guy in the whole of Coal City! In fact, he is the only living bloody son-of-a-devil! Believe it or not, he’s the one who makes all impossibilities possible! If not for him, I don’t know how I would have survived in this town!”

Eze liked praise songs about him. It was his preferred ego booster and I always knew when and how to deliver them to him in overdose to bring out all the pomposity in him. I knew it always made his head to swell but if you really want his head to blow up, then you do the praise singing in front of a gorgeous princess —like Ify, for example.

“Eze, Eze, this is Ify, the pretty girl I told you I met in a bus the last time I travelled to Lagos.”

As they shook hands and exchanged the usual ‘I’m so pleased to meet you’ pleasantries, Eze turned his head towards me and said, “But you didn’t tell me she was this beautiful?”

“Sharrap you bad guy! What would you have done if I had told you?”

“Vinso, are you talking to me like that? My guy, do you know who you are talking to? Don’t forget that this is Eze O-four-two we are talking about. Of course, if you had told me she was this pretty. I won’t be shaking just hands with her; I would be giving her a full body hug.”

“Oh, I see! You bad guy! Why don’t you just say you want to hug her?” I boxed him on his arm and we all laughed heartily. Looks like Eze was really in a good mood today.

“But Vinso, you are a very bad guy o! I never knew you had such a good eye when it comes to selecting such a beautiful and… eh… sonsy… and… eh… eh… buxom damsel of a lady!” He continuously pumped my hands as he said all that.

I could see Ify was clearly impressed from her gentle smile that reached her eyes. I knew she was finding the whole situation funny. I also knew she might think that was a compliment but I knew my friend and I knew it was the flaming fire from his loins that was driving him into coming up with all that poetical lyrical and all that theatricals.

His desires were clearly written all over his face. When I noticed he was fast losing his self-control from the way he was beginning to stare lustfully at her unabashedly, to save the situation and prevent Ify from getting uncomfortable and from getting the wrong ideas about me and the type of friends I keep, I gave him a very stern look to indicate I was losing my patience with him. He got the message and reluctantly excused himself.

I knew my friend. If I had allowed him to continue, there is every chance that he would try to impress Ify with his opulence. He might even suggest we go out that night so that he will have the opportunity to impress her some more with his money. That was why I had to cut him short before he would end up saying and doing something terrible and cause Ify to start doubting me all over again.

First impression, they say, matters a lot and it’s so true. I know most women quickly pick on that type of information and make that type of association so fast because they are always consciously or unconsciously watching out for it and I didn’t want that to count against me since I already knew that Ify will quickly pick on it and detest Eze for his pomposity when it starts getting excessive.

But on the other hand, you cannot blame Eze for having this incurable mentality that all a woman want is money. If you got it better flaunt it, he will always tell me, and the chicks will gather.

Although I have been a beneficiary of that very disposition of his so many times because it has eased us into lots and lots of untold fun in the past when he starts throwing his money around but Ify has unknowingly shown me some signs that she was different and I was gradually getting set to gamble on that hope.

Whether she was being real or pretending will be a different story but right now, I knew I didn’t want Eze to do anything that will shatter that hope for me. I don’t know how I would face him when he starts taunting me and telling me afterwards that I should have known that women should never be trusted because they are the masters of pretense and acting and are only after what they could get from a guy. That was his usual slogan and ideology.

Just like Uche, Eze knew a lot about Ify even before they met. Of course, I told them all those things. At first, when he noticed that I have been gradually distancing myself from him, he demanded to know who the girl that was doing this bad thing to me was. I am certain he must have also noticed that I was not so keen on following him around anymore and being his most valuable wingman in our usual chasing skirts escapades anymore and I guess he never liked this latest development.

Just like I knew he didn’t like the idea that I was now spending most of my time on WhatsApp. Of course, he was well aware of my disdain for all social networking tools be it WhatsApp, 2go or even Facebook which I have often described in his presence and to his hearing, as nothing but a total timewaster.

So for me to turn around and become so caught up and enmeshed in the same social networking frenzy just because I met some girl must have really given him something to worry about. Since he knew how much I strongly derided those who used those social apps in the past, you would understand Eze’s shock when I started spending more than three hours at a stretch on those same social tools just to chat—with Ify.

But I didn’t care.

But after their first meeting, his complaints got even louder. Each time he tried to complain and accuse me of hoarding, I just let him know that Ify was very special to me and that meant I was never going to pass her to him—afterwards.

But like the tempting devil he is, he didn’t let go. He tried pestering me. He tried cajoling me. And then he tried the guilt trip. None worked. Then he started pleading and telling me that he just wants to get to know the girl and assess if she will be good for me.

I found that to be very funny and ridiculous. Imagine Eze assessing a girl to determine whether she’s going to be good for a guy! But then again, I understood where he was coming from. There’s nothing a guy wouldn’t do or say to get into a woman’s pânts.

Finally, I gave in. I told him to get ready because the three of us will be going out that night. I told him it was going to be like a date with a table for three. Eze quickly agreed and said we should go to Chicken Republic, his favorite eatery. He also said he would foot the whole bill but I told him I could handle it. When he suggested we should use his Highlander jeep, I didn’t object. I know… I know… yes, I know I said it, but you don’t have to blame me because sometimes, a brother could use some ostentatious lifestyle too.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Ormorlehwah(f): 9:19am On Sep 10, 2014
Hmmmmmm......... Romantic Thriller Indeed!!!

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 4:10pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ormorlehwah: Hmmmmmm......... Romantic Thriller Indeed!!!
cheesy grin tongue
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 4:15pm On Sep 10, 2014
Eze turned out to be a gentleman. He wasn’t as lecherous as I would have imagined with his banters. Although I have earlier warned him to control himself and watch whatever he said while around her, I didn’t kid myself that he will follow through because I knew how much he was dying to bed her and count her among his conquests, my keep off warnings notwithstanding.

If he started making passes at Ify, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised. But then, I wouldn’t like Ify to get the disturbing message that I was a friend to such a lascivious and ill-mannered fellow—at least, not now. Birds of the same feather, they say. I don’t know why but all of a sudden, my reputation seem to matter a lot to me now!

Eze behaved himself. He tried to make Ify feel so comfortable around us. While we sat at the table and enjoyed our meals and drinks, he tried a few lines to make her laugh.

Eze said he wanted to assess her but being the mischief lover that I am; I wanted to kill two birds with one stone. Of course, I knew it was going to be the other way round and I was already looking forward to Ify’s assessment of him and also to see how good Ify was in observing people.

I knew Ify was going to read him like a book even if he tried to cover up with his gentleman acts and I was looking forward to what she was going to tell me about him. I could see the way he was looking at her occasionally but I was even more aware of how Ify was viewing him because I could see that she was carefully observing him. Occasionally, I will see her steal a glance at him and I know I would give my right arm to know what she was thinking because I knew that she was covertly observing—everything about—him. She’s that type of girl.

After our little party was over, Ify expressed her warm gratitude and told Eze to make sure he keeps looking after me and watching out for her so that I wouldn’t go after other ladies. Eze told her he could handle it. He started laughing and I soon joined him because we truly found those two statements very amusing. We then drove Ify to her place before heading back to Eze’s place.

When I asked Eze to tell me what his assessment report looked like, he simply shrugged and told me the girl is okay. He also added that he was happy for us. But I still got the feeling he didn’t sound so happy saying that.

I knew why he was like that. He was now convinced I was abandoning him in our game. Besides, if I were dating Ify for real—he never believed it was for real, anyway—it also means he was never going to get lucky with her.

I recall the day I told him it was for real and he couldn’t stop himself from laughing over the idea. He told me he knew me so well and since he knew I was not the dating type, it wouldn’t last beyond one month. I told him it was not true. I also told him to stop hoping on that.

Of course, I knew what his problem might be and why he was expressing his doubts in such a manner. Like I said earlier, a part of his problem was that he knew he was never going to get a chance with Ify if I was seriously dating her. The other part I know he didn’t realize or understand was that I actually wanted to share a special connection with the girl.

Sometimes, when we were alone, he would tell me I was very lucky to have landed such a pretty dame but from the way he sounded gloomily, I knew he was seriously hoping I was going to tell him it was nothing serious after all, which of course, I didn’t.

At long last, he grudgingly bought it and decided to leave me alone but not before telling me that I shouldn’t forget that he has automatically placed himself on the standby when I will be through with her which he told me was going to happen in no distant time when the hex she cast over me has fully expired.

We laughed it off but I knew that gave me something to ponder.

Although I could understand his position on my budding relationship with Ify; I knew he would never understand mine. I knew he won’t understand why I was clearly showing him, with my words and actions, that I didn’t want anybody to come between Ify and I.

In fact, he would never understand how so glad I was to have met her. How could I tell Eze that I was now always looking for a chance to stay connected to Ify, if not for anything, just to chat with her? How could I explain to him that with the level of attraction we were feeling for each other, Ify and I had to stay in touch and when we couldn’t do it physically, we try to do it virtually? He will never understand what I really meant whenever I told him that the girl was simply amazing. Not with that cynical look he gives me…

Well, I wouldn’t say it really surprised me that even Eze who has been my friend for so long now has failed to realize that with me, communication is the key. I wouldn’t blame him though. Most people don’t understand me, anyway.

I like nothing more than exchanging information with others. Knowledge is the fuel that drives me and I am always willing to seek out any avenue just to add to my enlightenment. Luckily for me, out of the blues, a very pretty damsel was doing just that for me and I couldn’t say no.

She had so many interesting and insightful things to discuss and I couldn’t help myself in becoming more and more deeply attracted to her. Our relationship gradually metamorphosed and I liked that too. I have never liked rushing into any relationship.

When I broke the news to Uchman, he too wasn’t too happy. C’mon, what is the problem with these guys?

He called me aside and told me that I was so lucky to have gotten such a pretty girl to be my girlfriend. I didn’t tell him that the word girlfriend, coming from him, made me quite uncomfortable because I already knew what that implies and I wasn’t ready to be sat down to be given the full dose of his tiresome lecture on the importance and sense in the practice of ‘one man, one wife’.

To cut him short, I just told him it was the other way round and Ify was lucky to have landed me. It surprised me that he didn’t see it that way but we laughed it off, as guys. He told me not to break her heart by breaking up with her. He was actually pleading and I felt so sorry for him even though he was giving me the guilt trip thing again. I didn’t like that.

“So what makes you think I’m going to break up with her?”

“Vince, you know you are my best friend and I know you so well and we both know you are not the boyfriend-girlfriend type.”

“So?” I asked, clearly miffed.

“Don’t be angry with me for saying something like this or for making this suggestion but Vince you know this girl is a very good girl. From what I have seen, she’s so nice and decent too. And it’s so obvious she loves you so much. So please do not hurt her. If you know you are not ready for the relationship, please, I’m begging you in the name of God; just let her know on time.”

I don’t know why Uche likes giving me the guilty conscience whenever it comes to my relationship with girls.

“So are you implying I am only interested in whiling away her time?” I asked offensively.

“I don’t know…” he dragged his answer. “You know what you want but please if she’s not what you want, I would prefer you just tell her on time rather than doing it your usual way… you know…?”

“What do you mean, my usual way?”

“Don’t be offended Chux but already we both know your relationships don’t last that long.”

“So how long do you think we are going to last this time around?” I asked, more out of curiosity.

“Highest two months…” he shrugged his shoulders as he answered rather impulsively but caught his breath when he realized how denigrating that sounded.

“Sorry… but… I… I… don’t mean it—that way,” he said apologetically. “I don’t mean you two are going to break up.”

“Don’t worry. I’m not angry with you. I know you are only saying your mind.”

He was still apologetic and whenever he is like that, he also tends to be so pathetic too. I felt sorry for him. I could see he was desperately searching my face for any sign to know if he had bruised my ego.

I kept my face expressionless but inwardly, like I said earlier, I found it very amusing that even my so called close friends don’t actually understand me that well. In fact, nobody does. Sometimes, I am even a mystery to myself because I cannot explain why I do some of the things I do.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by LeoFish92(m): 7:53pm On Sep 10, 2014
nice exposition Bro.....you are one hell of a writer, but the story and Vince relationship with Ify thus far has been only smooth and blissful...can't wait for some major shocking and heartbreaking twists
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 10, 2014
LeoFish92: nice exposition Bro.....you are one hell of a writer, but the story and Vince relationship with Ify thus far has been only smooth and blissful...can't wait for some major shocking and heartbreaking twists
likewise me, am waiting 2 see the nxt turn of event.
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 9:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
LeoFish92: nice exposition Bro.....you are one hell of a writer, but the story and Vince relationship with Ify thus far has been only smooth and blissful...can't wait for some major shocking and heartbreaking twists

getafe: likewise me, am waiting 2 see the nxt turn of events.

Believe it or not guys, me too, I just can't wait!!! tongue
Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 9:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
CHAPTER 11

I woke up with a splintering headache. It was the result of the binge drinking I had last night. I looked at my watch. It was 9:36 a.m. in the morning. I reached for my phone and turned it on. You would never describe me as a drunkard. In fact, I am what you will normally call a light brain and any little alcoholic intoxication could easily send me overboard.

Last night was different. I lost a football bet last night. The saddest part of losing the bet was that it wasn’t even a bet that involves stating the team that will either win or lose or even draw. It was just to state the number of goals that will be scored in that particular game. I placed the bet that the game between Chelsea and Benfica in the Europa Cup Finals will not produce more than two goals.

I was counting on the fact that Chelsea is a defense-minded team but it turns out Chelsea won the game by two goals to one all thanks to a late goal by a Chelsea defender. And I lost my bet.

That very result sent a mad uproar of celebration in Coal City among the numerous Chelsea fans watching the game at the various football match viewing center littered across the city. There are so many Chelsea fans in Enugu and they make the most noise which is why I so much enjoy taunting them whenever Chelsea lost a game.

Eze couldn’t wait for the game to be over before he started calling me on my mobile phone to tell me the ‘good’ news. He was so hysterical. Earlier on that very day, I had taunted him and some of other Chelsea fans telling them that Benfica, being an attacking minded side with sharpshooters as strikers, will definitely beat them silly in the finals.

Now, they are all calling to taunt me back and tell me that I have failed woefully after wishing them so much bad luck. I felt I had to come up with another taunting line. I decided I will start telling them that they should even be ashamed of themselves for celebrating their Europa Cup victory because that competition is not as prestigious as the big money spinning UEFA Champions League.

It didn’t work. They ignored my counter taunts and I finally gave up. But they still wouldn’t let me be. They kept on calling and bombarding my phone with so many useless SMS and WhatsApp messages. It became so annoying to me and I couldn’t take it anymore so I turned my phone off completely.

I was also annoyed because of my lost bet so I decided to have some beer to console myself. I left the football viewing center and went to a nearby joint and ordered for a bottle of chilled Gulder and a plate of goat pepper soup. I should have known it was a bad choice going to that joint. So many Chelsea fans were already there, with more trooping in, in their celebratory mood and they were even ordering drinks for everyone. I had literally walked into their wild party.

I have never seen a guy who rejected free drinks. I knew I would not be the first or the last guy, to ever do so. One bottle, then two bottles, and then three bottles and I knew I had reached my limit. I was beginning to see double.

I was beginning to wonder if I could still count on my wobbly legs to safely take me home. I was also wondering how long I would be able to hold out before I finally throw up everything. I managed to stand up and started staggering home leaving the boisterous noisy party behind.

So when I turned my phone on, some SMS and WhatsApp messages started entering immediately. These crazy Chelsea fans, don’t they ever get tired? Well, maybe that serves me right for starting it in the first place. My first thought was to turn off the phone again before they will start calling me to remind me of the wonderful thing that happened last night.

I felt the headache again. I needed a pain reliever so I managed to pull myself up. I went to my drawers and brought out the Paracetamol tablets and popped two into my mouth. I washed it down with some water.

Then my phone rang. I guessed it was those brats again so I didn’t even bother to pick the phone. The phone started ringing again for the second time. I grudgingly picked it up to check the caller ID knowing that I was ready to scold the living daylight out of the person on the other side once they start chanting about the ‘big win yesterday’.

But I stopped. The number was a strange number. A strange number is any number that I have not saved in my phonebook. I don’t usually like answering calls from strange numbers but something just compelled me to pick the call.

A very deep masculine voice greeted me from the other end.

“Good morning. Is this Mister Vincent Dike? Vincent Chukwuma Dike?” The seriousness of the voice caught my attention and I suddenly became very alert.

“Yes—sir?”

“Good. Where are you right now? Are you presently in Enugu right now?”

“Yes—sir!”

“Good. I am Mr. George Okafor, the director of Delic Solutions. We are an ICT firm. I have a recommendation on you and I want to see you in person for an interview. How soon can you make it to Chime Avenue? Can you make it there in the next—say—in the next one hour?” Delic Solutions? I’ve never heard of it.

“I can make it in the next thirty or forty minutes, sir!”

“Okay, that’s okay, that’s okay. Better!” Did he just chuckle? “The recommendation I have here says you can do PHP very well, am I right?”

“Yes.”

“That’s good. Okay, I will like to see your work, you know, the things you have done. I mean the samples of the projects you have executed with PHP.”

“Okay sir.”

“When you arrive, you can easily locate the place because it is very close to that Upper Chime roundabout. Delic is on the third floor of the plaza. It is very easy to locate. I am looking forward to seeing you. Remember to bring your projects along with you. And please try to make it quick, okay?”

“Okay sir!”

“Alright. Bye.”

The line went dead.

I couldn’t believe my ears. My headache has also miraculously disappeared. Now, what is this all about? I was totally flabbergasted because I am not so used to strange things like this happening to me.

I quickly headed to the bathroom to get ready for a memorable day I was now hoping that day was going to turn out to be. I quickly brushed my teeth. Then I started to shower. As the cold water trickled down my body and brought my senses back to life, I started pondering what was really going on and why my heart was thumping so hard and fast with excitement.

I knew I never applied for any job with any computer firm of lately so what recommendation was this—what’s his name again—Mr. George Okafor of a man talking about?

I figured the recommendation must have come from someone from our NYSC days. I could recall back in those days when we were about passing out from the service and we were strongly advised and encouraged to share our contacts and CVs with our fellow corps members so that we could help each other to get jobs and connections.

We called it networking. At that time, a lot of us believed so much in the so called networking and anytime I updated my CV, I religiously made sure I informed all those former corps members who were in my network of the changes or addition.

But after so many years of doing that and endlessly waiting for something positive to turn up, it also started becoming evident that even the so called networking is not the answer. And now, after so many years, hmm, it looks like the networking finally paid off after all. I was so elated and as I scrubbed myself, I started to whistle I believe I can fly.

You may not understand why I was feeling so excited. Somehow, I already have this feeling that my luck was about to shine—today! I thought about Ify and her voice echoed in my mind as I remembered how she told me that my elusive job search will soon be over for good.

The most surprising thing about this interview was that in all my years of searching for jobs, I have virtually gone to all parts of the country for aptitude tests and interviews. I have gone for exams and interviews in Abuja, the Federal Capital. I have gone to Port Harcourt, Asaba, Ibadan, Calabar, Kaduna, Lagos, Benin, Jos, you name it.

And now, from nowhere comes this invitation for an interview for a job I did not even apply for. Right inside Coal City, which incidentally, also happens to be right inside my very own backyard! This must be what some people call miracle. I said a silent prayer in my heart thanking the corps member who must have done this for me.

I was eager to get the job this time. Let me tell you why. I have been living from hand to mouth all these years. I have indulged in so many stressful and strenuous activities that I never would have believed I was capable of just because I needed to survive. In fact, I have lived on the edge for so long.

Although living on the edge can be recklessly exciting and adventurous in a way that only those who love uncertainty and the thrills of not knowing what comes next coupled with the joys of taking certain risks will understand, I was beginning to have the feeling that it was high time I settled into a permanent job lifestyle.

to be continued...

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by Flakkydagirl: 1:36am On Sep 11, 2014
Your writing style is superb,and i enjoy how you string your character,thoughts and actions together...

D̶̲̥̅̊ɪ̣̝̇§˚˚° is A̶̲̥̅ very good Piece,and i'm loving every update thnks.

2 Likes

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 6:33am On Sep 11, 2014
Flakkydagirl: Your writing style is superb,and i enjoy how you string your character,thoughts and actions together...

D̶̲̥̅̊ɪ̣̝̇§˚˚° is A̶̲̥̅ very good Piece,and i'm loving every update thnks.

Wow! Coming from another writer, believe me when I say I'm so so so flattered.

Thanx a lot, my dear.

1 Like

Re: IFY - A Romantic Thriller by 2scorehigh(m): 7:35am On Sep 11, 2014
This story you have reading and enjoying so far is already a published work by the author writing under the pen name Emmy Boy.

Click here to download your own copy today from Smashwords.

You can click here to connect with the author, get a little peek into the author’s mind and also to view some of his other works.

You can also click here to get it on Amazon.com or here to get it on Amazon.co.uk today.

The book is available in all eBook formats. You can download the .mobi format and read it on Kindle if you have a Kindle device. You can also download the PDF file or you can simply just read it online.

You can also read the MOBI, EPUB, HTML and OPF format on PC if you have Kindle Previewer installed. Click here to download Kindle Previewer[External Mirror1.exe <179MB>].

You can also download and read the EPUB format if you have installed the FBreader on your system. Click here to download the FBreader <5MB for Windows PC>.

Whichever one suits you…

So go grab it and let the fun continue!

One more thing, I am also looking forward to your reviews. So please you can drop your comments. I’ll so much appreciate…

Thanks a lot.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

"The Place Of Rest" -Wasimi Chronicles / Wole Soyinka Escorted To Prison In 1967 (Throwback Photo) / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 220
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.