Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) (75827 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi In Brazil With His Wives (Photos) / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by RoyalRoy(m): 11:23am On Aug 25, 2014
NeuroBoss:

Exactly. I purposely ommited that so as not to derail the thread. But I think its one of the Ogun State monarchs. Not so sure though.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 25, 2014
MsNas:
Cos I was raised right. Can't say the same for you tho. Stop quoting me. Go find something productive to do with your life. Before everything leaves you behind. Being an e-warrior on NL doesn't translate to a better life offline.
good thing you're a lady if not I'd have given u a kiss! best reply ever!! grin

4 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by kayjasper(f): 11:26am On Aug 25, 2014
CoolHunk:
Aaaah...I see....a relative of the Alaafin.

shocked shocked do you know me?

Lollz...well he is my grandpa anyway.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Arosa(m): 11:26am On Aug 25, 2014
Beautiful!
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by NeuroBoss(m): 11:27am On Aug 25, 2014
[quote author=RoyalRoy]

[font=Georgia] Exactly. I purposely ommited that so as not to derail the thread. But I think its one of the Ogun State monarchs. Not so sure though.

That Oba is of my town. He may have done it in Ogun state too. The guy was an avowed polygamist.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by kayjasper(f): 11:32am On Aug 25, 2014
remsonik:
Alaafin marry white babes,he marry every year and the queens are so beautiful
Lollz...Kabiyesi sure loves his women fair and neat. He doesn't compromise on that.
What part of Oyo are you from ma?

Read your previous post... and I must say you are right about the King.

He always did his best to train us well even though we the grandchildren are many but he did spend his little time with us when he can.

Believe you me, you will never meet any Oyo prince or princess, as many as we are, In a questionable environment or in any compromising situations. He along with Olori Agba thought us the true essence of being an Omoluwabi.

7 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 25, 2014
saxywale: Adimula was same as Oduduwa. Some call him Olofin Adimula.

Some other yoruba believe oduduwa had a second child that begat Adimula e.g the aramoko-ekiti people but that does not exist in the Ifa corpus.Some other Yoruba tribe would also tell you that oranmiyan never left a crown in Oyo hereby claiming Alaafin is not related to Odua e.g the Ifon-Osun-Orolu.

Ooni Oranmiyan would come 4th if you remove the Obalufons who where descendants of Obatala. Oranmiyan came back from his sojourn and reclaimed his fathers throne. Since then, his lineage had been producing Oonis.

Right. You have a nice day sir.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 25, 2014
Blaqsmith: yea,agreed I was wrong...I just realised though...I never compared Ile Ife with Oyo,BUT Alaafin and Ooni spiritually and politically aren't gonna be in class! Drag me anywhere.
saxywale:
Thanks for admitting... yes politically, circa 400 years ago. But when the Dahomey sacked Oyo ile. Oyo became politically handicapped and irrelivant since then.

Well, this thread is boring, only good for pictures but abounds with poster with next to zero knowledge of Yoruba history and tradition history....
Even Dede1 knows Yoruba history more than many yoruba posters on here.
saxywale: U got it wrong. How can Oyo be our ancestral home?, who taught you Yoruba history?. U need to re-enrol for a Yoruba class under a sound tutor. Where do u call your ancestral home?, Isn't it where ur Patriach lived/founded. Oduduwa is our Patriach, had only one son- Okanbi who also had seven sons. Oduduwa lived and died in Ife. His seven grandsons spread out to different parts of Yoruba land and Oranmiyan happened to be one of the seven who relocated to Oyo to become Alaafin. Historically, Alaafin is in the same class as Deji of Akure, Oba of Benin, Alake of Egba land among others. Don't compare Oyo with ile-Ife at all. Egbe eye l'eye nwo to o.

I have learnt something today. Thanks both of you

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by redsun(m): 11:41am On Aug 25, 2014
stinggy:
I swear on the gods, that thing is real.
I know of a former driver that fell a victim.

You forgot the oyinbos made the mirror, not oduduwa or any of the Yoruba pantheon of gods. How and when it will become a taboo is what I don't understand but it obvious oyinbos brought the mirrors when they came rampaging and used them in exchange for slaves and other thing they conned the african ancestors of.

Education.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 25, 2014
booqee: good thing you're a lady if not I'd have given u a kiss! best reply ever!! grin
I won't mind the kiss though

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by NeuroBoss(m): 11:44am On Aug 25, 2014
[quote author=NewNigeriaMind]Educating thread....

Nice one by the Oba.

When will Owa of Ijesaland do something now. I am omo ogboni of ijesaland though I haven't been to my ancestrail hometown.

Proudly Yoruba.
Good to know you're from Ilesa. Your grandpa?'s house is at Enuwa and he was feared in our town.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 25, 2014
redsun:

You forgot the oyinbos made the mirror, not oduduwa or any of the Yoruba pantheon of gods. How and when it will become a taboo is what I don't understand but it obvious oyinbos brought the mirrors when they came rampaging and used them in exchange for slaves and other thing they conned the african ancestors of.

Education.
Lol. 100 years ago or more, some powerful kings were not allowed to show their face in public. It's always hidden behind the beaded crown. It was a taboo back then. But I am just hearing of this mirror aspect too. Mirror na oyinbo man invention.
whatlyf: I won't mind the kiss though

grin you be frog wey dey expect kiss from princess? grin

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by kulumo: 11:50am On Aug 25, 2014
kayjasper:

No gain saying...this is true royalty.
Alaafin is undoubtedly the most flamboyant, important and relevant king of Yoruba land.

check his poise and glamour even at age 80. cool cool

He truly is the last of his kind... a living god!!

Yes, he's very elegant but y'all don't know what you are talking about. I don't think you guys have met Oonirisa before. That is the accepted Igbakeji Orisa. Ooni is highly revered and he has beautiful Oloris as well. Please try and visit the palace of Ooni sometimes. Kudus to Oba Lamidi though; he's a good Ambassador of the Yoruba heritage worldwide.

6 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 25, 2014
saxywale:
Lol. 100 years ago or more, some powerful kings were not allowed to show their face in public. It's always hidden behind the beaded crown. It was a taboo back then. But I am just hearing of this mirror aspect too. Mirror na oyinbo man invention.

Them forbid Princess to kiss a President-In-Waiting? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 25, 2014
kulumo:

Yes, he's very elegant but y'all don't know what you are talking about. I don't think you guys have met Oonirisa before. That is the accepted Igbakeji Orisa. Ooni is highly revered and he has beautiful Oloris as well. Please try and visit the palace of Ooni sometimes. Kudus to Oba Lamidi though; he's a good Ambassador of the Yoruba heritage worldwide.
Dude, that lady is the grandchild of the Current Alaafin. Conflict of interest things. If na me too. I would say my grandpa is more elegant than the queen of England ... grin

3 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by NeuroBoss(m): 11:58am On Aug 25, 2014
[quote author=saxywale]

The Yorubas, long before the advent of the white people, had what they call "digi" which did the function of a mirror.
But why do Igbos like Baby osisi, Toad2011 et al always catch cold in matters concerning the Yorubas such as this? Is it because they don't have a veritable culture to hold on to or they sell it over a bout of Akpu? Seun, this is one of the avenues when some of us are left with no choice than to reply and match them word for word. They came, we housed, rent out shops and sold lands to them. What again do they want?

8 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 25, 2014
[quote author=NeuroBoss][/quote]
maybe they want the Atlantic ocean.
Diggi...I thought diggi just means oyinbo mirror. nice one.

3 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by NeuroBoss(m): 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2014
saxywale:
maybe they want the Atlantic ocean.
abi o

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by DukeNija(m): 12:05pm On Aug 25, 2014
LordCenturion: YORUBA is beautiful, ,am proud to be a yoruba, ..YORUBA lewa
Pupo. .....only yoruba politicians want to spoil yoruba image in front of other tribes. ......

Guys, we are BEAUTIFUL

Funny post. Lol @ yoruba politicians.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:05pm On Aug 25, 2014
whatlyf: Them forbid Princess to kiss a President-In-Waiting? cheesy cheesy
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by TS2(m): 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2014
See as the wife don bleach her life commot.

Dang!

And her eyeballs are brown. She no try.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by TS2(m): 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
RoyalRoy:

Yes boss. This is one of the few kings that gives me good reasons to visit my root more often. Keep the tradition alive till the last of all generations.... location will never be a barrier...NEVER!!

We don hear na.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by GuyFawkes: 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
niceeric:

Yio daa fun o.....o ni s'oriburuku,alale ile wa yio gbe o.....thanks so much bro!!......ive been reading so much rubbish since page one and was expecting this history to be told to the ignorant ones here

Ile Ife remains and has always been a birth place of the Yorubas and won't the ruler of the land be the ruler of all yorubas

or shall we call an Oba from an Empire that fell not too long ago and was moved to a foreign land our paramount head.....
Well the ruler of Ile Ife has never been a paramount ruler of the Yoruba people at any time in history as much as Yorubas refer to Ile Ife as their birthplace which itself is quite debatable.
Ni Ile kaaro O'jire Alaafin lo ni ile'
Isn't that the famous saying?
Ijebus don't accept Alaafin as their paramount ruler talkless of Ooni of Ife so different yorubas view their rulers differently instead of laying claim to who is superior.

2 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2014
Nice!

To those fighting over Oyo and Ife: the two places are just as important and they can be compared to Roman Britannia vs. British Empire. And in as much as Roman Britannia will always be the cradle of everything British - British Empire took the British consciousness everywhere. None is greater, just one in the same struggle.

Salute to the King for keeping Yoruba culture alive! And I need me a few Bahia mulheres! grin

Duke of Ijebu Kingdom - the boy king! cool

5 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by GuyFawkes: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
olukenzo: I think the issue with Oyo and Ife is because the Ooni started out as a regent than a King and also because he is not a direct descendant of Oduduwa through Okanbi. But he however rules over Ile-Ife which is the source of all Yorubas and thus deserves all the respect he gets.

I don't find the arguments amusing though, they are very divisive I must say.
Well said

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by 5thNOTE: 12:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
tit: the brazilians will be like:
you sold us into slavery and pocketed the money,
what do you want with us again?
Who told u they sold themselves, when they where tributries of the ancient Benin Kingdom time of no records then they were sold, meanwhile no main Benin or Edo ppl were sold as slaves. The Oba of Benin could trade the subjects(yorubas) at the edges of his kingdom to slave traders and 4 ur info there were only representative chiefs of the yorubas. Infact thats why yorubas could spread mightly becuse they hate burden or lording and had no king and even if they tried to have a kingdom, it was always subject and obedient to the Benin kingdom.
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by cbrass(m): 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
9jacrip:

Lmao! What is this?

You need to learn the problem of superiority face off between Oyo and Ife was caused by the same British.

Ibadan was the power base, did the bidding of Alaafin and gained recognition for Oyo/Alaafin who was seen as their overlord; Alaafin was seen as Yoruba head as a result and was the signee of several treaties between Yoruba and British.

Years after, British realized the error of recognizing Alaafin rather than Ooni andtried to make corrections. One of them was making Ooni the paramount ruler and head of Western Region. Furthermore, he was also called to settle crown disputes amongst other attempts to give him his rightful place in Yoruba land.

Read!

its you that should read and not me cos everything was mere politics who the hell is the bloody stranger called Ooni...FYI OOni is a complete stranger in yoruba land

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by GuyFawkes: 12:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
5thNOTE: Who told u they sold themselves, when they where tributries of the ancient Benin Kingdom time of no records then they were sold, meanwhile no main Benin or Edo ppl were sold as slaves. The Oba of Benin could trade the subjects(yorubas) at the edges of his kingdom to slave traders and 4 ur info there were only representative chiefs of the yorubas. Infact thats why yorubas could spread mightly becuse they hate burden or lording and had no king and even if they tried to have a kingdom, it was always subject and obedient to the Benin kingdom.

In your deluded and twisted fantasies maybe

9 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blaqsmith: go back to the library and get a good text on the History of Yoruba...Ile-Ife was mere headquarter while OYO is our REAL Ancestral home...Ooni and Alaafin was never a mate and will never be!
I think you're the one who needs the books. Ile-Ife is the ancestral and spiritual capital of the Yorubas, while Oyo was more like the Military Headquarter. Go and read the history books well, you'll understand.

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 25, 2014
RoyalRoy:

Hahaha

Most known polygamists dont sit on the fence and raise "bastards" not to talk of a traditional ruler.

Check out M.K.O Abiola, he surely got a lot of bastards brought forth as his but in his own "way" without DNA et all, he still could sieve his own from the shaft.

I believe its not the Alaafin that will be lagging behind.

P.S there is a traditional law/myth/ curse on any man who sleeps with a woman a Yoruba king has already slept with, except the king dies. Such men die prematurely, violently and never make a headway in life afterwards.

Oh puhlease
These same juju that couldn't predict the colonization if the black man or the coming of usman dan fodio
Abeg
Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 25, 2014
5thNOTE: Who told u they sold themselves, when they where tributries of the ancient Benin Kingdom time of no records then they were sold, meanwhile no main Benin or Edo ppl were sold as slaves. The Oba of Benin could trade the subjects(yorubas) at the edges of his kingdom to slave traders and 4 ur info there were only representative chiefs of the yorubas. Infact thats why yorubas could spread mightly becuse they hate burden or lording and had no king and even if they tried to have a kingdom, it was always subject and obedient to the Benin kingdom.

I honestly don't know why you Bini folks love lying to yourselves. When you're not trying to re-write history, you create fantasies in your heads, and spout the nonsense everywhere. I absolutely love Bini folks, the culture, and history - but stop telling porkies everywhere!

No ethnic group in Southern Nigeria escaped slavery - none!

Well, the Itsekiri's sold a few Bini slaves...and I believe the Oba of Benin back then must have sold some as well. And I'm not even adding the ones that might have been captured or POWs in some of the wars Bini was involved in. They might not be many, but there were Bini slaves.

6 Likes

Re: Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) by Blaqsmith(m): 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
enigmaotr:
I think you're the one who needs the books. Ile-Ife is the ancestral and spiritual capital of the Yorubas, while Oyo was more like the Military Headquarter. Go and read the history books well, you'll understand.
I understand now.thanks a bunch!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video / Emmanuella Ropo "I Am Not Ooni Ogunwusi's New Wife" / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.