Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (61269 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tpia: 11:52pm On Nov 02, 2008
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by lucabrasi(m): 2:27am On Nov 03, 2008
@post
dont know what its called but the practise of the junior r senior male in the family inheriting a dead man's wife and children, common amongst yorubas not sure of other tribes,

first born male child taking over the parent's property,think its much more prevalent amongst the ibos

prostrating for elders smacks of hypocrisy to me
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 2:40am On Nov 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

How so?

If anything that's one tradition I hope the Yorubas never depart from.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 4:12am On Nov 03, 2008
why should the tradition be kept. little use to me undecided
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 4:49am On Nov 03, 2008
Claim a new tribe then. Na by force? Olodo
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 4:59am On Nov 03, 2008
KarmaMod:

Claim a new tribe then. Na by force? Olodo

you lucky am in a good mood or i could have sent the wrath of sopona on you
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 5:10am On Nov 03, 2008
May the same Shopona ruin that good mood grin
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 11:16am On Nov 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

Me too and I think it's uncouth. It's fading gradually with the newer generation especially those in the diaspora. Imagine you trying to prostrate in Manhattan, won't they think you are in the Broadway cast? undecided
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by AloyEmeka9: 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2008
first born male child taking over the parent's property,think its much more prevalent amongst the ibos

No, he takes over his fathers country home and also gets a fair share from his other properties but not all of them.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by AloyEmeka9: 12:30pm On Nov 03, 2008
this from a person who posted multiple stories about Yoruba women castrating their husbands. Your own wasnt barbaric, nasty or disgusting but this one is?

Nigerians and double talk- na wa!

Onye ga achotala agadi nwayi di bikonu?. Agadi nwanyi rapu m aka maka obala gi ga ebunye m nsa-nsa. It's like your McD job no dey again because you are becoming more aggressive daily. Leave me alone, don't want to bang an old hag like you before you give me leukemia. wink

Tribalist Tpia, just leave me alone. Is that too big a request?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by glorina: 1:07pm On Nov 03, 2008
Trying to use juju to pull down your enemy(neighbor, friend, family member, e.t.c.) because of bad belle
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tpia: 3:05pm On Nov 03, 2008
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 3:15pm On Nov 03, 2008
It's fading gradually with the newer generation especially those in the diaspora

No it's not.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by BabyJinx: 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2008
The only way to comfortably mock another tribe is if the closet for your own tribe is as a clean as a whistle, white as snow, no blemish, no spot. . . Nada!

@ ikeyman00
Go read  this book [b]Women in Igbo Life and Thought [/b]and then come back let’s talk about the rituals where women offer sacrifice in the nude. . . at night to the fertility gods. We will discuss how stillbirths, long labor and death during childbirth is a sign the woman was cheating on her husband during pregnancy. We’ll have us a li’l tete-a-tete on why a woman who is about to have her first child has to confess any sexual relations she’s had. . . Apart from her husband in the course for pregnancy. I also would love to discuss why the umbilical cords are buried, that particular one has stumped me to no end.

When you are done reading the book, let’s all. . . One for all and all for one, discuss how we can get the archaic ume idi ime rites abolished. I would also love to discuss how all these fall into the whole a woman must give her husband dignity schtick.

Oh one more thing, please don’t come back and say these things are only done in the rural area by illiterates or that’s it no longer in practice because that will make you a TOP CLASS HYPOCRITE since you know darn well that rubbish you posted about The Yorubas and Twins is not longer in practice and if it is, it’s only practiced by a few. . . In the rural parts of Yorubaland.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by BabyJinx: 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Me too and I think it's uncouth. It's fading gradually with the newer generation especially those in the diaspora. Imagine you trying to prostrate in Manhattan, won't they think you are in the Broadway cast? undecided

Uncouth? Lmao!

I don't know which generations of Diasporas you've been hanging around but the ones I know. . . and they are a lot of them, still do it. They so relish doing it, they even tell their American friends why they do it and how it is done. The Americans in turn think it is so great to show respect to elders that way, they start doing it to any Nigerian elder they meet and then happily tell all and sundry about the reaction they got. . . which often times is prayers and well wishes from the elders.

So you were sayin'. . .
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by omoge(f): 4:01pm On Nov 03, 2008
things related to respect should continue. what i want nig to do away is juju and other negative things like way widows are mistreated etc.

postrating or kneeling is okay. to each his or her own. i see many ladies kneeling in greeting others oversea. it is okay if you want to do it. not a bad thing.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by biolabee(m): 4:57pm On Nov 03, 2008
nice point babe_jinx i think im lovin this philosophy of the good eloquent naija wife
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 5:19pm On Nov 03, 2008
juju won't go away considering even some of the most educated nigerians are active participants. believe in the paranormal is here to stay. sadly
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ezeagu(m): 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2008
Athough I don't know what the guy your replying to was saying or talking about, since you brought up cultural practices of the Igbo I just HAD to respond.

Baby Jinx:

The only way to comfortably mock another tribe is if the closet for your own tribe is as a clean as a whistle, white as snow, no blemish, no spot. . . Nada!

True!

@ ikeyman00
Go read this book [b]Women in Igbo Life and Thought [/b]and then come back let’s talk about the rituals where women offer sacrifice in the nude. . . at night to the fertility gods.
undecided I'm scratching my head here. I don't think my grand mom has done that . . . . . .
We will discuss how stillbirths, long labor and death during childbirth is a sign the woman was cheating on her husband during pregnancy.
Sorry, never heard of it, if true probably archaic and was practicesed in certain areas, not all areas, of Ala Igbo.

We’ll have us a li’l tete-a-tete on why a woman who is about to have her first child has to confess any sexual relations she’s had. . . Apart from her husband in the course for pregnancy.

Ask yourself this question, if you were a man, and you were born in a time (hey, even now in Nigeria) when there was no way of proving a child is yours for certain, would you not want to know if your wife slept with anyother man? ? ? , yeh, ok moving on. . . . .

I also would love to discuss why the umbilical cords are buried, that particular one has stumped me to no end.
mine was buried, it shows your Diala (son/free born of the soil) and your attached to the earth (Ala)

When you are done reading the book, let’s all. . . One for all and all for one, discuss how we can get the archaic ume idi ime rites abolished.

What's that, no, really, what i it? . . . . anyone?

I would also love to discuss how all these fall into the whole a woman must give her husband dignity schtick.

I don't understand your point enough to comment myself.

Oh one more thing, please don’t come back and say these things are only done in the rural area by illiterates or that’s it no longer in practice because that will make you a TOP CLASS HYPOCRITE since you know darn well that rubbish you posted about The Yorubas and Twins is not longer in practice and if it is, it’s only practiced by a few. . . In the rural parts of Yorubaland.

What's wrong with Yoruba and twins, I thought unu loved them and were goodluck in your society (at least you didn't kill them like we did embarassed, now that would have been a blow if you included it in your response to the guy grin)
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by BabyJinx: 6:12pm On Nov 03, 2008
ezeagu:

Athough I don't know what the guy your replying to was saying or talking about, since you brought up cultural practices of the Igbo I just HAD to respond.

True!
  undecided I'm scratching my head here. I don't think my grand mom has done that . . . . . . Sorry, never heard of it, if true probably archaic and was practicesed in certain areas, not all areas, of Ala Igbo.

Ask yourself this question, if you were a man, and you were born in a time (hey, even now in Nigeria) when there was no way of proving a child is yours for certain, would you not want to know if your wife slept with anyother man? ? ? , yeh, ok moving on. . . . .
mine was buried, it shows your Diala (son/free born of the soil) and your attached to the earth (Ala)

What's that, no, really, what i it? . . . . anyone?

I don't understand your point enough to comment myself.

What's wrong with Yoruba and twins, I thought unu loved them and were goodluck in your society (at least you didn't kill them like we did  embarassed, now that would have been a blow if you included it in your response to the guy  grin)

It’s kinda hard to respond to you since the things I’m hoping we would discuss is contingent on you (or anyone else) reading that book about Igbo women, written by an Igbo woman or at least look further into the things I mentioned. So you see, you saying you’ve never heard of this or that doesn’t do this discourse much good.

I expressly said read the book for 3 reason 1) To show I am not plucking things out of thin air 2) No one knows everything 3) leaving room for the possibility that no one is adverse to learning new things seeing as we don’t know it all.

Well and there is one more thing reason. . . I was kinda hoping if people spent more time researching their own tribe, they will be less inclined to throw crap on others.

Wishful thinking, huh?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by BabyJinx: 6:20pm On Nov 03, 2008
biolabee:

nice point babe_jinx i think I'm lovin this philosophy of the good eloquent naija wife

This is Bobo_Jinx, Baby_Jinx's husband.

Did you really think my wife wrote that? Lmao! Awww, How sweet, I will tell her someone out there thinks she has the ability to worry her pretty little head over matters that are outside the usual kitchen patter .  grin

The truth is I tried to dictate these write ups to her but after the 10th "huh". . . I knew I had to take matters into my hands. A  good husband always knows the limitations of his little wifey. You don't wanna overwhelm them with too intellectual talk, yanowaamsayin' wink
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ikeyman00(m): 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2008

@ ikeyman00
Go read this book Women in Igbo Life and Thought and then come back let’s talk about the rituals where women offer sacrifice in the nude. . . at night to the fertility gods. We will discuss how stillbirths, long labor and death during childbirth is a sign the woman was cheating on her husband during pregnancy. We’ll have us a li’l tete-a-tete on why a woman who is about to have her first child has to confess any sexual relations she’s had. . . Apart from her husband in the course for pregnancy. I also would love to discuss why the umbilical cords are buried, that particular one has stumped me to no end.

When you are done reading the book, let’s all. . . One for all and all for one, discuss how we can get the archaic ume idi ime rites abolished. I would also love to discuss how all these fall into the whole a woman must give her husband dignity schtick.

babyjinx i swear u are mad ha. u are serious. hahha
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by BabyJinx: 6:50pm On Nov 03, 2008
ikeyman00:

babyjinx i swear u are mad ha. u are serious. hahha

Rotflmao!!! Oh man! How do people know that? Seriously, you gotta tell me what gives me away? Is it the way I cross my Ts? Yeah, I know it's got some psycho slash to it. undecided
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Busybody2(f): 6:52pm On Nov 03, 2008
ezeagu:

True!
undecided I'm scratching my head here. . .

Since we have ascertained that you are Ikeyman, and to save you the hassle of scratching your head further and worrying your pretty dinky head and because of my brotherly love for you, I would like to strongly suggest that you purchase a dictionary to find out the meaning of sarcasm, before you purchase the book Baby-jinx recommended kiss cheesy cheesy cheesy

By the way, I love your name, I like the way it rolls off my tongue cool
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by biolabee(m): 7:13pm On Nov 03, 2008
bobo and babe_jinx

happy (nutty) family!
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ikeyman00(m): 7:28pm On Nov 03, 2008
busy-body

na only1 ikeyman00 de for this world. i cnt be fake

sorri
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Busybody2(f): 7:32pm On Nov 03, 2008
ikeyman00:

busy-body

na only1 ikeyman00 de for this world. i cnt be fake

sorri

Biko please bear with Ezeagu, don't compound the situation and confuse the poor guy na  angry angry angry grin
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by lucabrasi(m): 7:39pm On Nov 03, 2008
im still waiting for  a single plausible reason why you have to prostrate to show respect,its in the bible not to bow down to any being other than GOD,so why some will still think thats a culture not to depart from in this day and age is still beyond me, especially as prostrating is not same as respecting the elder, i personally think the ibo way of shaking their elders and stuffs comes across more real and genuine,
so to show im chock full of respect,ill catch a skin desease layn my palms on bare ground and following it up by laying my whole body
@alloy
yes but still inheriting the country house(which you ll agree is always the better or best of the houses)is still being unfairly sexist
@poster
ogboni,lodge,okija shrine,ekpe cults e.t.c and their human sacrifices, think they should be abolished and if not engage themselves in positive pursuits

the junior bro or sister waiting for the elder to get married before he/she does putting unnecessary pressure on them.

the man being the alpha and omega,apart from being unnecessarily sexist,its the reason men die before women in africa because of the stress of trying to single handedly take care of the household so as not to be seen as weak or not being a proper husband
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 8:29pm On Nov 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

I'm still waiting for a single plausible reason why you have to prostrate to show respect,its in the bible not to bow down to any being other than GOD,so why some will still think thats a culture not to depart from in this day and age is still beyond me, especially as prostrating is not same as respecting the elder, i personally think the ibo way of shaking their elders and stuffs comes across more real and genuine,
so to show I'm chock full of respect,ill catch a skin desease layn my palms on bare ground and following it up by laying my whole body

You do not need to grace every response here with a reply. Anybody that wants to continue kissing the floor for a fellow mortal in the name of stupid culture can knock herself out as far as am concerned. It is a free world. I was recently in a heated argument over that culture and it's effect on our society and none of those that support could give the naysayers one advantage of it. The worst aspect of it is the elders expect you to shut up even when your opinion is clearly smarter than theirs. Tell me the morale behind that culture? It may not be dangerous like you specified but I think it's uncouth and has exceeded it's usefulness in modern society. The hypocrisy attached to it is not my concern because even the ibos that greet their elders like westerners still show some element of hypocrisy. Salutation is not love.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tpia: 9:49pm On Nov 03, 2008
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tpia: 10:03pm On Nov 03, 2008
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 3:01am On Nov 04, 2008
do they even allow dreads to grow out, its usually shave off continously til it grows out normally

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / The 6ft Tall Idanre Queen Who Outlived All Her Husbands (Photo) / Real Reason Olori Wuraola Moved Out Of Ooni‘s Palace - ThisDayLive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.