Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,067 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (61208 Views)

Noise About Abobaku Online.....the Culture Has Been Abolished Years Ago. / The Acculturuation Bewteen Midwestern And Eastern Nigerian Cultures. / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 10:25pm On Oct 25, 2008
i don't see why tribal marks should be banned, that's a choice that should be made by the parents. it's disgusting but hey not my pikin. lots of these are personal choices and shouldn't be dabbled into by government.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Morenike3(f): 10:28pm On Oct 25, 2008
It should be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jezuz! They almost gave me one!! cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 10:30pm On Oct 25, 2008
wouldn't it be beautiful if a nike logo was carved on your face . imagine the endorsement deals grin
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Sauron1: 10:40pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

BILLS:

Nigerians have a habit of not paying their bills. They want free govt water, hospital, airport, roads, electricity, internet etc and hate paying taxes. I once read an editorial that said that even if southerners agree to pay for all those things, Northerners will not at least in this century. That is a very bad culture that is crippling our nations economy.

People can only PAY the bills of what they have enjoyed.
In a situation where many areas in Lagos go without electricity for MONTHS. . . . .How do u expect them to pay any sorta bills.
Your points are getting watery. . . . .Go and lie down, use an ice-pack, recharge your brain cells and come back.
Surely, u can do better than this. tongue
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ifyalways(f): 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2008
@Gamine,i wonder whats wrong with building a house in ones villa
why do you think it should be abolished?
@Funmi,its not a tradition to have "double marriage ceremonies" as you put it .
This thread sef and all the reasons you guys are giving is simply ridiculous.Most of the things you guys are mentioning are Optional. . . .Never forced down anyones throat and its NOT a culture/tradition atleast in my place
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 11:09pm On Oct 25, 2008
People can only PAY the bills of what they have enjoyed.
In a situation where many areas in Lagos go without electricity for MONTHS. . . . .How do u expect them to pay any sorta bills.

You are giving an example on where there was no light. What of the areas that have light, do the residents pay their electricity bills?. Don't deny it, Nigerians do not have a bill culture and some go to the extent of bribing NEPA officials to evade them when shutting services. That is one of the reasons why NEPA failed woefully.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 11:10pm On Oct 25, 2008
@Funmi,its not a tradition to have "double marriage ceremonies" as you put it .
This thread sef and all the reasons you guys are giving is simply ridiculous.Most of the things you guys are mentioning are Optional. . . .Never forced down anyones throat and its NOT a culture/tradition atleast in my place
Ok; I pointed it out because virtually all the igbos I know do it and some of them are not financially buoyant enough to foot the bills.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 11:11pm On Oct 25, 2008
i don't see why tribal marks should be banned, that's a choice that should be made by the parents. it's disgusting but hey not my pikin. lots of these are personal choices and shouldn't be dabbled into by government.
I think govt should prohibit parents carving that nonsense on their children because it's eternal and some of them grow to hate themselves. If you decide to get it when you are at least 18, knock yourself out.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Danke: 11:11pm On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

wouldn't it be beautiful if a nike logo was carved on your face . imagine the endorsement deals grin

LMAO
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tope2000(f): 11:13pm On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

wouldn't it be beautiful if a nike logo was carved on your face . imagine the endorsement deals grin

It will out of this world grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Morenike3(f): 11:18pm On Oct 25, 2008
bawomolo:

wouldn't it be beautiful if a nike logo was carved on your face . imagine the endorsement deals grin
Would you be less Jealous, then? cool cool tongue
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 11:21pm On Oct 25, 2008
wouldn't it be beautiful if a nike logo was carved on your face . imagine the endorsement deals
That is if you are very beautiful but if you turn out to be very ugly, Nike may take a legal action against you.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Sauron1: 11:39pm On Oct 25, 2008
PepERSprAY:

You are giving an example on where there was no light. What of the areas that have light, do the residents pay their electricity bills?. Don't deny it, Nigerians do not have a bill culture and some go to the extent of bribing NEPA officials to evade them when shutting services. That is one of the reasons why NEPA failed woefully.

What areas in Nigeria today enjoy uninterrupted power supply? None!!!
People have to cough out money to buy generating sets/plants and fuel to enjoy electricity.
At the end of the month, some tout-looking NEPA officials come with crazy bills and u expect people to pay??
Are u from the land of Philistine?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by JJYOU: 11:45pm On Oct 25, 2008
Gamine, i think nothing wrong. but how funny you live in a poor place but a fine place in the village is empty. like you and the 3 kids living in 1 bedroom and then labor to build a nice house in the village when you are not living there. i think it is a general thing and not peculiar with a tribe.
the funny thing also is some of them will be afraid to live there in fear of immaginary winsh and wizard

do you know how many houses were seized from the igbos in various part of nigeria during and after the war? ever heard once beaten twice shy? there is no place like home as they say. the history of nigeria is laced with tribalism and injustice. eneke the bird said men had learnt to shoot without missing so it learnt to fly withourt pearching
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by tpia: 12:11am On Oct 26, 2008
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 12:27am On Oct 26, 2008
*Morenike:

Would you be less Jealous, then?  cool cool tongue

all i would do is get half and then

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Morenike3(f): 12:28am On Oct 26, 2008
rotflmao. . . .somebody jealous me tongue

Half ko whole nio
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by PepERSprAY: 1:07am On Oct 26, 2008
rotflmao. . . .somebody jealous me Tongue

Half ko whole nio

You Ekiti woman go to sleep now before I label you with something peculiar to Ekitis. tongue
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by romeo(m): 2:40am On Oct 26, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Igbo: Okonko festival where human beings  are used for sacrifice

igbo: new yam festival which may involve human sacrifice

Igbo: Building a house in the village when they don't have one in lagos.

I am Igbo and i don't know what is okonko festival.

New yam festival has nothing to do with human sacrifice, unless your papa returned to his former role as chief priest and re-introduced his favourite act of sacrificing humans.

The issue of house confirmed that you are very dumb embarassed, Most people can not notice how difficult the brain could be to use, but whenever you write something it becomes obvious. You must learn to use the brain like everybody else and stop being ridiculously daft.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Morenike3(f): 2:44am On Oct 26, 2008
PepERSprAY:

You Ekiti woman go to sleep now before I label you with something peculiar to Ekitis. tongue

Respond to this thread then:
Ekiti Parapo
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-187085.0.html
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by Gamine(f): 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2008
@Ifyalways,

Did you read my post well!!

aah well, im outta here

Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ezeagu(m): 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2008
Ekpe and Okonko do not sacrifice people, where did you get that one from?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by DisGuy: 1:09am On Oct 27, 2008
beating left handed kids undecided

I notice a lot of adults still pick their nose like they are digging for gold!!!
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by KarmaMod(f): 1:26am On Oct 27, 2008
Dis Guy:

beating left handed kids undecided

Never heard of this
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by bawomolo(m): 2:04am On Oct 27, 2008
KarmaMod:

Never heard of this

they are not exactly beaten but conservative parents from the CAC, Cele like groups usually discourage their kids from been left handed. it's based on religious beliefs.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by ChinenyeN(m): 2:50am On Oct 27, 2008
After reading through this. . . I don't really see people talking much about "Evil" or "Dirty" Cultural practices that should be banned. Instead, there's more talk about banning what seems like pointless cultural practices.

Is anything wrong with a traditional wedding and then a white wedding? What if people want both? Is there anything wrong with someone wanting to go back to their village after living their life in the city and working more than they think is necessary? Is there anything wrong with people wanting to fly their dead (or wanting to be flown themselves) back to their homeland to be burried? There is nothing "Evil" or "Dirty" about any of those.

Female circumcision I don't agree with though.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by AloyEmeka9: 6:29am On Oct 27, 2008
Igbo: Okonko festival where human beings are used for sacrifice

igbo: new yam festival which may involve human sacrifice

Igbo: Building a house in the village when they don't have one in lagos.
Ebelebe Igba!! grin grin
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by AloyEmeka9: 6:48am On Oct 27, 2008
Annoying Nigerian culture:

Breastfeeding in public
. Gosh, they are everywhere yanking the thing out like it's perfectly legal just because they are nursing. sad

Urinating in public: Most especially the women that pull down, face bush and piss, how disgusting.

Spitting through the window: I had a splash on my car last thursday from a passenger in a bus.

Stealing ballot boxes during election: This practice is outdated in almost every 3rd world country except Nigeria.

Using women as slave labourers(suuru alaba): [/b]This practice is despicable and any man that do that should be remanded in prison.

[b]Selling medicine in buses
: How else can I describe it?. Drugs are supposed to be stored in a cool dry place unless otherwise stated but our mobile pfizers carry the thing along in a 36 degree temp, confuse the public about their products just to make a sell.

Impregnating high school girls: people frown at this in Nigeria but it's yet to be taken serious. Can we have a serious jail time for this crime?

Obtaining by trick:
guys sometimes con women into having sex with them either by using some sedative or frustrating their lives. Most of them think it's not rape because they didn't use force. It's a common practice in Nigerian universities and it's disheartening.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by spikedcylinder: 12:19pm On Oct 27, 2008
Calabar: killing and eating dogs. Is that not against animals rights?

Deepzone/Pepperspray, Do you wear leather shoes?
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by jaybee3(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2008
burying old folks on their properties (especially when it's a mansion). don't they know the kids might want to sell it on especially when they don't live in naij
ignoring the immorality behind bribing of policemen
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by chusben(m): 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2008
OSU (Out cast), In IBO land is one anoying thing i don't want to hear.
Re: Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished by omoge(f): 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2008
the burial on property is soooooooooooooo wierd undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Basic Ways To Promote And Preserve The Nigerian Culture And Tradition. / The 6ft Tall Idanre Queen Who Outlived All Her Husbands (Photo) / Real Reason Olori Wuraola Moved Out Of Ooni‘s Palace - ThisDayLive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.