Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Respect First Class Students In Public Universities - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (37065 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Cmfrt001(f): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
I trust my ABUSITES they won't comment because they alone alongside their lectures know what it means to even get a 3rd class from that school let alone a 1st class. The truth remains that it's not all about your class of degree but what you really have inside of the and how you intend to execute it because implementation is paramount. Please nairalanders, donot let results determine your future.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by baba11(m): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
First class no be beans...somebody like me who get them as friends knows better..my friend who made overall best graduating student always makes me to always doff my hat for them#shebby::respect always...me 2 get..but not fancy jawe... I b practical man...private varsity 1st==public varsity2.2..if all other conditions remain equal ;Dequal angry grin angry cool cool
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by lyricalz: 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2014
Why do we so much cherish degree in Nigeria? Degree that's unproductive. A 3rd class student in a chinese university is better than a 1st class student in a nigeria university plus his/her lecturers put together.

2 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2014
You see it's just common sense. Most tier 1 public universities in Nigeria attract the best students because of the stringent selection. It is just like comparing a first class student from Standford or MIT to that from university of Coventry. How can they be on the same level. We all know uk schools like Coventry are money for hard back ground while a school like MIT, to hell with your money only the brightest minds allowed. Same as regards private unis and public unis in Nigeria. In Nigeria private unis are only for the rich. They cant even attract intelligent students that are not well to do. In the end,it is what you put in a system that determines the products. Needless to say that many private uni students usually have closed minds (if you know what I mean). I'm glad I rep Unilag

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
butanep: I respect people who graduate with a first class degree from a public university... I am saying this because I tried and put in all my best to bag a first class degree but I still end up with a close CGPA of 4.2.
As a young guy in my first year in school, I got a GP of 4.6 in first year and 4.5 in 2nd year, but from third yr I couldn't make a first klass again till my final year... I put in all my best because I was kind of good... I know I still do some play shall, like following woman N sports but I make sure I balance my time... Still at that I couldn't make the first class... I was asking if its the School(UNIBEN) or my department(Geology) but I couldn't get a valid answer to my question... Ever since then, I always respect a first class graduate because its not easy... Am nt saying a secon class upper is easy because I knw how it take to get that in school but first class demand a lot from You...
What level of respect should a first class student have? Every one is good as far as I'm concerned provided you graduated with a CGPA of 4.0 out of a possible 5.0. Many schools even find it difficult to give out a first class to a student who merits it as most of the departmental lecturere pocket it. There was a case in a university (name witheld) where at the end of 400L, this student was on a GP of 4.6 but because no one has had a first class in that department for about 40 years, they decided to hold a meeting on whether to issue the first class whereas, the student was worth it on merit. They later found a way to reduce it to 4.49 so he could fall on a second class upper. This happened in the department of economics but I don't want to mention the name of the school. The department was later sued. A first class student should get the best of respects no doubt about that but if you look at it critically, even a second class upper student may end up being better than him in the labour market because exposure and pro activeness really counts too.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by AriDsexy(f): 3:17pm On Sep 06, 2014
sirjohnson: Every first class student should be respected, be it public or private university
Ahh,sirjohnson,you didn't put a link in this post grin,most of your post,comes with a link grin
Greatest UNIBEN!!Uniben sha,I wish I came out with a first class though,but like someone said,its what you make of the certificate that matters.

2 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Taiye4Christ(m): 3:22pm On Sep 06, 2014
Afghanistan:
...Many schools even find it difficult to give out a first class to a student who merits it as most of the departmental lecturere pocket it. There was a case in a university (name witheld) where at the end of 400L, this student was on a GP of 4.6 but because no one has had a first class in that department for about 40 years, they decided to hold a meeting on whether to issue the first class whereas, the student was worth it on merit. They later found a way to reduce it to 4.49 so he could fall on a second class upper. This happened in the department of economics but I don't want to mention the name of the school. The department was later sued...
University of Jos
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 06, 2014
butanep: I respect people who graduate graduated with a first class degree from a public university universities in Nigeria... I am saying this because I tried and put in all my best to bag a first class degree but I still end up with a close CGPA of 4.2.
As a young guy in my first year in school, I got a GP of 4.6 in first year and 4.5 in 2nd year, but from third yr year I couldn't make a first klass class again till my final year[b]...[/b] I put in all my best because I was kind of good[b]... [/b]I know I still do some play shall, like following woman N and sports but I make sure I balance my time[b]... [/b]Still at that I couldn't make the first class[b]...[/b] I was asking if its the School(UNIBEN) or my department(Geology) but I couldn't get a valid answer to my question[b]...[/b] Ever since then, I always respect a first class graduate because its not easy[b]...[/b] Am nt I'm not saying a secon second class upper is easy because I knw know how it take what it took to get that in school but first class demand a lot from You you ...

I can't imagine how you managed to make a 4.2 CGPA in the first place. Your grammar is horrible. It would have been a total embarrassment to your institution if someone like you make a first. Mere struggle doesn't get you a 1st, series of applicable academic skills you acquired over a long time does. You made a 2:2 from a Federal University and now think you're better than 1st class graduates from Private Universities? You're just too arrogant. Only God knows if anyone would have a good night sleep if you've unfortunately made a 1st.

2 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by dguizman(m): 3:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
naijamark:

I can't imagine how you managed to make a 4.2 CGPA in the first place. Your grammar is horrible. It would have been a total embarrassment to your institution if someone like you make a first. Mere struggle doesn't get you a 1st, series of applicable academic skills you have acquired over a long time does. You made a 2:2 from a Federal University and now think you're better than 1st class graduates from Private Universities? You're just too arrogant. Only God knows if anyone would have a good night sleep if you've unfortunately made a 1st.
Bro...his grade has nothing to do with his english,2.2 for fed universities self no be beans o.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2014
Nigeria gov tel u say dem c 1st abi
1st 2nd 3rd class d koko dere b say make GOD let us c good work wit good pay.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2014
dguizman: Bro...his grade has nothing to do with his english,2.2 for fed universities self no be beans o.
Bird of a feather.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by scofield33(m): 3:35pm On Sep 06, 2014
mikaj: Trust me ma peepz, someone with a 2.1 in futo is way better than a 1st class from either a private uni or public uni. FUTO no be beans.

Lol...My guy I feel your pain! I'm a futoite too

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
Taiye4Christ:
University of Jos
No not even university of Jos. So such even happened there too? Its everywhere my brother. This country is corrupt.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Joy83(m): 3:45pm On Sep 06, 2014
Cmfrt001: I trust my ABUSITES they won't comment because they alone alongside their lectures know what it means to even get a 3rd class from that school let alone a 1st class. The truth remains that it's not all about your class of degree but what you really have inside of the and how you intend to execute it because implementation is paramount. Please nairalanders, donot let results determine your future.
You talk like a novice undergraduate. By the time you graduate, you will realize the CLASS OF DEGREE matters. When it comes to getting a good job, there is discrimination about that, even when you want to further your education, especially if you long for any scholarship.
At that, even if you wanna go into business, you can't imagine how people will patronize and respect you when they know you are a first class or 2'1 graduate. But on a contrary, a business man with 3rd class or pass, people may think he is doing business out of frustration from getting a good job.

Lesson: Whatever you find your hands doing, do it well because you don't know which one will be more useful. Do not find excuse for failure as no one is born to fail...

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by actYourDreams: 3:50pm On Sep 06, 2014
butanep: I respect people who graduate with a first class degree from a public university... I am saying this because I tried and put in all my best to bag a first class degree but I still end up with a close CGPA of 4.2.
As a young guy in my first year in school, I got a GP of 4.6 in first year and 4.5 in 2nd year, but from third yr I couldn't make a first klass again till my final year... I put in all my best because I was kind of good... I know I still do some play shall, like following woman N sports but I make sure I balance my time... Still at that I couldn't make the first class... I was asking if its the School(UNIBEN) or my department(Geology) but I couldn't get a valid answer to my question... Ever since then, I always respect a first class graduate because its not easy... Am nt saying a secon class upper is easy because I knw how it take to get that in school but first class demand a lot from You...

In case you are wondering, I graduated with a first class in Mathematics from a highly-rated public university, so I know what I'm about to say.

A fundamental problem in Nigeria is "class"! We classify everything so badly that we forget that everyone, either first class, pass, no-degree class etc, has got something to offer. Perhaps this also contributes to the divisions in different organisations or communities in Nigeria.

I know the hatred I suffered while trying to simply prove to myself that "I can achieve all things through Christ who strengthens me" while in School. FYI, He still strengthens me till today! Why don't we just let the first class or 3rd class or whatever class be! It is high time we as individuals learned to respect everybody, a 3rd class or pass or even someone who never made it to school. This is 2014 for heaven's sake, let's stop this academic discrimination!!!

There are multiple factors that contribute to a student's achievements. Almost no expects a talented scholar to achieve much while under financial, emotional or spiritual stress. But if against all odds that individual still achieves 1st class, that is good for her, but that does not make her better than an individual who, even though she had everything going well with her, did not achieve first class. Perhaps this second individual has a different priority, a different goal, a different passion in life that is just not academic!

We may want to respect everybody and choose to celebrate people who add values to other people's lives, and stop glorifying people based on what they achieve for themselves!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by mykelon: 3:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
I really respect those who made first class in public university. Its no small "tin". Its like there are forces behind it & only the "really" Strong will survive. I had d determination to get a 1st class(every fresher has) From OAU but after my 300L, I gave up cos no matter what I did, Bs' always popped up. I thank God I still came out with 2.1 but really I respect 1st class!!!
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Toonfreak(m): 3:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
Bleep all of you with first class degrees who cannot solve the traffic congestion in lagos,menance of area boys,floods in lagos etc. Hit like if u agree wit me.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
naijamark:

I can't imagine how you managed to make a 4.2 CGPA in the first place. Your grammar is horrible. It would have been a total embarrassment to your institution if someone like you make a first. Mere struggle doesn't get you a 1st, series of applicable academic skills you acquired over a long time does. You made a 2:2 from a Federal University and now think you're better than 1st class graduates from Private Universities? You're just too arrogant. Only God knows if anyone would have a good night sleep if you've unfortunately made a 1st.
Wetin this mumu dey yarn. Being academically good and poor english are not related at all. Where I schooled, you'll come in contact with gurus and you won't even believe they are the scholars of their respective departments. And at the same time, its possible to be fluent in english and not have anything up there as a result of extreme chronic mental rëtardation and its apparent you are one of them because if you are not, you wont waste your time picking faults in the OP's grammar.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by DonaldGenes(m): 4:00pm On Sep 06, 2014
Rapsainot: tongue!!!! I'm in high school.... senior class 2

Then I'm in Low school
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by birdman(m): 4:00pm On Sep 06, 2014
actYourDreams:

I know the hatred I suffered while trying to simply prove to myself that "I can achieve all things through Christ who strengthens me" while in School. FYI, He still strengthens me till today! Why don't we just let the first class or 3rd class or whatever class be! It is high time we as individuals learned to respect everybody, a 3rd class or pass or even someone who never made it to school. This is 2014 for heaven's sake, let's stop this academic discrimination!!!

Academic discrimination ke? What kind of employer will put first class and third class on the same level? You always give preference to hard work and accomplishment. Always.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by birdman(m): 4:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
actYourDreams:

Academic discrimination ke? What kind of employer will put first class and third class on the same level? You always give preference to hard work and accomplishment. Always. If a third class graduate feels he should be treated the same as first class, it is up to that graduate to prove it. Dont expect anybody to just give you a chance. You already had 4 years and nothing came of it.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Rapsainot(m): 4:02pm On Sep 06, 2014
DonaldGenes:

Then I'm in Low school
you don't need to tell me gan. I already knew you have a low I.Q
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by oleeee(m): 4:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
helloo UNIBUJA studentx,,,,,i m not seeing any comments 4rm u guyx,,,dat skul can frustrate person ehn!!!!
UNIBUJA is entirely different
RESPECT ANY1 DAT GRADUATE 4RM UNIBUJA WITH 1ST KLAS,,,,,EITHER HE BOUGHT IT OR HE STRUGGLED 4 IT,,,2ndly d guru 4rm dat uni may graduate with 3rd klas,,,,blve me or just ask abt UNIBUJA
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by deletrue: 4:05pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Why should they be respected when what most of them do is "la cram, la pour.

What should be respected is what they achieved in life not ordinary paper award.

You don't expect me to be respecting someone with 1st class in EEE when he hasn't achieved anything meaningful to the society.

Wole Soyinka made 2.1 in University and he is being respected today for what he has achieved in life not paper certificate. You dig? undecided

EDITED- I have a secondary school classmate who always score high in every subject. Her result percentage is always a way higher than second position.

She always hit 92, 93 in Physics and Chemistry exam added with test but during Physics and Chemistry practical(s), she fumbles.

Nigerian education is solely based on theory and little or no practical. So, First class should be disregarded except what you are able to reproduce in labour market. Kapish? tongue
I wanted to like you but turned round when you mentioned that riff raffs and highly indesciple professor called Soyinka. Tell us any significant contributions from Soyinka with rubber heirs? How did he help Nigerians when he was appointed to chair the FRCN. Are you mistaking self enrichment for making meaningful contribution in Nigerians? He is just an irresponsible professor who talk from both sides of his mouth. Let me stop here. Am waiting for your response and I will compeletely white wash that individual you call something.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Pasca07: 4:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
actYourDreams:

In case you are wondering, I graduated with a first class (4.64/5.00) in Mathematics from a highly-rated public university, so I know what I'm about to say.

A fundamental problem in Nigeria is "class"! We classify everything so badly that we forget that everyone, either first class, pass, no-degree class etc, has got something to offer. Perhaps this also contributes to the divisions in different organisations or communities in Nigeria.

There are multiple factors that contribute to a student's achievements. Almost no expects a talented scholar to achieve much while under financial, emotional or spiritual stress. But if against all odds that individual still achieves 1st class, that is good for her, but that does not make her better than an individual who, even though she had everything going well with her, did not achieve first class. Perhaps this second individual has a different priority, a different goal, a different passion in life that is just not academic!

We may want to respect everybody and choose to celebrate people who add values to other people's lives, and stop glorifying people based on what they achieve for themselves!

best post so far
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by adanny01(m): 4:16pm On Sep 06, 2014
abbeywasc:
really? like hw many years ago was dt? i mean sendin cars for graduates cos if u see the number of FC that dt apply kpmg monthly test(d towers, unilag, chams city) u'll be amazed and its a time-wasting pocess. went thru d process-test, essay, AC, manager's review, partner's interview den dropped after dt. by d way, dey asked me d same thns over and over at d MR and PI. its mostly nt about ur grade but who u knw ds days especially govt jobs( GA position is nt assured for FCs again o) sorry to burst ur bubble, FC holders

If you read my comment very well you would have seen the word 'rumoured' in that sentence.

FC is just a qualification for those tests. I never said he got the job because he was an FC but went through several test and interviews and was successful in all. At the end he had to just make a choice. He was not the only first class, but he only was si much desired and i admired him too, unlike the other one who was just another lucky bookwarmer.

That tells you something that every firstclass is a normal firstclass but the genius firstclass is different. Afterall it is believed by some that exams is not the true test of knowledge.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by martowskin1(m): 4:21pm On Sep 06, 2014
GboyegaD:

This is falsehood. With an average of 4.8 each semester he can still make it provided each semester is of equal units.

grin false ni false ko.....the man made 3.96CGP in his year 1 which is d easiest level to make 5.0CGP....and u are telling me it is feasible for him to have 4.8CGP from year2 to 4th year or 5th year.....my man u must be learner...or a comedian.....
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by JoseWael(m): 4:25pm On Sep 06, 2014
actYourDreams: best post so far

Nice Yarn. Bravo ! grin
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Karleb(m): 4:25pm On Sep 06, 2014
Sixix:

Don't confuse me

Referring to their effort as la cram la pour screams contempt to me

When you finally get to you UI then you will realise how easy it is to make a first by 'la cramming and la pouring'

Having a first is a means to an end therefore it is an achievement on its own, which would attract other achievements

Ehm.....And it is not just a paper award undecided....it took a lot of dedication and hard work which says a lot about them

Excellent!!
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by MissJennifer(f): 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2014
naijamark:

# All i've been saying# Thought I was the only one who noticed it, first class or not every graduate should be able to express him/her self in both verbal and written English !

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 06, 2014
deletrue: I wanted to like you but turned round when you mentioned that riff raffs and highly indesciple professor called Soyinka. Tell us any significant contributions from Soyinka with rubber heirs? How did he help Nigerians when he was appointed to chair the FRCN. Are you mistaking self enrichment for making meaningful contribution in Nigerians? He is just an irresponsible professor who talk from both sides of his mouth. Let me stop here. Am waiting for your response and I will compeletely white wash that individual you call something.

I wanted to ignore this mention but the bolded caught my attention. I don't want you to feel me as a snub.

Okay! Who is the first African to Win Nobel Prize Laureate in Literature? smiley
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by mikaj(m): 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2014
FlyboyZee:
You see your life? For your mind FUTO na personal university as e no be either private or public university. Dundee United.

Meenhhhh!!!!!! When I was told there are senseless peepz on nairaland, I no believe Ooº°˚ ˚°ºoo. Bros where u keep ur sense??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Struggles Of Having University Roommates (meme Collection) / FG Approves Establishment Of 12 Private Universities / Evans, JAMB Snake & Jacob Zuma Featured In UNILORIN's Criminology Exam Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.