Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,462 members, 7,846,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

Respect First Class Students In Public Universities - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (37100 Views)

10 Cheapest Private And Public Universities In Nigeria / Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / Tuition Fees Of Public Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 06, 2014
Anybody dat consciously aims for 1st class and end up not making it will see enough reasons to respect those that made it#E NO EASY# whether na 'la cram la pour' or him sabi am(minus malpractice sha), the person gud in his/her own way.

3 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Jarus(m): 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Why should they be respected when what most of them do is "la cram, la pour.

What should be respected is what they achieves in life not ordinary paper award.

You don't expect me to be respecting someone with 1st class in EEE when he haven't achieved anything meaningful to the society.

Wole Soyinka made 2.1 in University and he is being respected today for what he has achieved in life not paper certificate. You dig? undecided

EDITED- I have a secondary school classmate who always score high in every subject. Her result percentage is always a way higher than second position.

She always hit 92, 93 in Physics and Chemistry exam added with test but during Physics and Chemistry practical(s), she fumbles.

Nigerian education is solely based on theory and little or no practical. So, First class should be disregarded except what you are able to reproduce in labour market. Kapish? tongue

With this written English, one can only shake his head.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by chingydaboss(m): 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ur ignorance is alarming..
Ur Hatred for private universities is lyk peak (it's in u)..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by FlyboyZee: 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2014
greatestman:

That is were you got it wrong, we over hype first class graduates in public universities (Mind you i am student from public university with CGPA of 4.47 on the scale of 5.0 point in my final year). In public universities we have frustrated Lecturers that are not satisfied with their monthly pay, and secondly the employment selection is base on WHO YOU KNOW factor. But lecturers in private universities are selected base on merit. People with passion for teaching, people that have teaching ethics, people that are delighted to see their students passing, people that are ready to help their students. Why won't the students have good grades? unlike our lecturers in public universities that are forming local champion without any teaching ethics, been harsh to their students, nobody is ready to attend to your personal problem. Why won't you graduate with 4.2 in place of 4.6? please carry your frustration to somewhere else, Not private universities first class graduates they are good they have conducive environment for learning, they have good lecturers etc. Any first class product being it from private, state or Federal universities are good in their on way. (Being it sorting, being it malpractice, being it cramming, being it natural intelligence etc)
You are dead wrong or is it wrong on point they say these days? The best Teachers are always in th public schools. Moreover, public universities pay the highest wages in Nigeria. Almost, I repeat again, almost all the Lecturers in private universities in Nigeria earn their main wages in the public universities where they work full time and then freelance or carry out adjunct or part time lecturing jobs in the private universities. Ask any full time private university Lecturer you meet and he would not exhitate to let you know that his desire is to be employed in a public university. I'm in the field and I know what I am talking about. One other thing you have to bear in mind is that private universities in Nigeria are not far from glorified secomdary schools.

What the OP is saying is that it is much more difficult for you to pass and especially pass well, when all the forces that be are working against you than when the forces that be are working for you. The op is also illustrative of the fact that Nigerain public University graduates also excel outstandingly in foriegn universities not minding the conditions of learning they had been subjected to in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by royalblood21: 12:52pm On Sep 06, 2014
bastien: I'm aiming first class,but on serious note make dem cancel some subject, topic and course

If our scientists, doc, researchers no fit find cure for spot and pimples, since 1964,na Ebola 2014 dem wan get

Chai

U go school? Abi ijaw pple de go school, ,, no be to fish and drink ogogoro u knw? grin grin
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Jokay07(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2014
grin sorry, i forgot to add this,, 6) will u be happy if a public university [maybe uniben] produce 18 first class graduates just because it is a public university.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Sixix: 12:55pm On Sep 06, 2014
Lundii: Anybody dat consciously aims for 1st class and end up not making it will see enough reasons to respect those that made it#E NO EASY# whether na 'la cram la pour' or him sabi am(minus malpractice sha), the person gud in his/her own way.

Abi o
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by chingydaboss(m): 12:55pm On Sep 06, 2014
Ur ignorance is alarming..
Hatred 4 private universities is lyk peak (it's in u)..
chismo007:

Nice one there but mind u most 1st class graduates in private universities can't be compared to a 2.2 student in public university based on intellect and exposure
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Sixix: 12:58pm On Sep 06, 2014
hohafrank: First class takes more of God than personal efforts.The book of life says by strength shall no man prevail.Next time put God first than following women.

angry angry angry angry

God helps those who help themselves

You have to make that sacrifice before God intervenes
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Maser: 12:58pm On Sep 06, 2014
What is this silly post meant to convey? That a public Uni is better than a private Uni or what? The person that initiated this thread is grossly immature. For the records, I attended a public and prestigious Federal University in Nigeria before another one in Europe. It is difficult to see how a First class graduate from an ill-equipped University can compare to another from a well equipped University in terms of quality, childish prejudices aside. People think that when it is more difficult to make a first in a Uni means the standard is high. In advanced societies it is an indictment on the lecturers and quality of the institution. In Nigeria many people who even deserve a first are wickedly denied it by lecturers just to make their department appear tough when in reality the quality is really poor. During our days, a lecturer would tell you ahead of time that in his course, A is for God, B for himself, then a genius in the class could have a C, then the rest could scramble for other grades and funny enough it would turn out so, not based on performance but on personal wickedness of the lecturer. Again a lot of shit happen in those public schools like sorting, bottom power, etc. I look forward to a time when public UNIs will begin to brag that they had a number of first class because the lecturers were committed and successfully imparted knowledge, there were quality teaching equipments and laboratories and as a result the outcome was many firsts. That to me is quality education as opposed to the primitive mentality that fewer firsts means high quality

12 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by dives(m): 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
So you graduated with a 4.2 CGPA from Uniben? Geology?? You must be pretty good.

Studied geology too in OAU and I know what it entails. You deserve my respect brother. Tuale!

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by sujex2015: 1:00pm On Sep 06, 2014
Standard007: I've (we've) gotta learn from u by not balancing d equation, dats by taking a little time from our leisure to get dat remaining 0.3 to complete our first class. undecided grin

SHOUT OUT TO ALL FIRST YEARS IN D HOUSE!!!

PROUDLY A FIRST YEAR MEDICINE AND SURGERY STUDENT (ABSU)

(We don't do first class tho!) grin undecided
my friend I wl advice u 2 shut dis ur hole up...better bend down and study ur book 2 pass ur 2ndmb dan 2 brag out ur stupidity......u hav nt evn started any of d basic medical course n u are making noise...
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2014
Private universities are just secondary schools using university syllabus. They read little and bag A's. Any lecturer the students didnt do too well will lose his/her job or be queried. Abeg no compare at all.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by lymelyte(m): 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2014
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by martowskin1(m): 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2014
joshbouy: it's not over for me I know that.
Loolz. Is Good keep d spirit up
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by SmartProf(m): 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
It is myopic for anyone to be craving for respect for first class sake in a public/private school, while our societal problems are begging for solutions.
Earn your respect by being an answer to societal challenges and not robust CVs

2 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Tunby(m): 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
Nigerian public university system on it's own doesn't aide excellence in anyway.Bad lecturers and learning conditions e.g. overcrowded classes where the lecturer is only communicating to himself, or fulfilling the "you won't say I didn't teach you " rite, while imparting nothing to the students.First class students from such schools have only gone the extra mile( no be "moi-moi")
I believe anyone with 4 point or above, from a Nigeriann Public university is a first-class material under "normal" or "sane" conditions.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Jokay07(m): 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2014
EbolaParasite:
Nonsense. So schools like Princeton, MIT, UT, Yale, etc are also rubbish because they churn out huge first class candidates too? See what public education has done to your reasoning
puhahahahahah, abeg help me tell him oo
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by sunnydayasaba(m): 1:05pm On Sep 06, 2014
I don't belong to those dat celebrate any class of degree, the only thing i celebrate is once ability to covert intelligent to wealth.

Like yoruba will say OWO ni KOKO....You make first class u no get money, Ur pikin go curse U, But u make Third Class and Make money, Ur pikin go rate u as a First Class pesin..

If na lie, Ask DANGOTE and ADENUGA

3 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
butanep: Any first class from private university nor follow... Am not saying their first class is not brilliant but then nor follow... I was watching a private university convocation on day and a dept(accounting) produce 18 first class... Just 1 dept ooo... I vex off my TV... Private sch want you to pass by all means but public university want you to fail and come bak again, so if you pass, it means you ve strong head...

How reta.rded can you be.

You say a Public University wants you to fail and come back again, yet you still say a first class from a private university is not it. What exactly is your point.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Sixix: 1:06pm On Sep 06, 2014
SmartProf: It is myopic for anyone to be craving for respect for first class sake in a public/private school, while our societal problems are begging for solutions.
Earn your respect by being an answer to societal challenges and not robust CVs

You have to start from somewhere, if you do know of any company or governmental organisations that employ people with one-page CV, please holla at me
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by 2leftlegs(m): 1:07pm On Sep 06, 2014
Its in covenant that I know first class students are really dull I wonder how 1 univerity will produce 114 1st class students haba na ABC dem de teach? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by FlyboyZee: 1:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
FrancisTony: Why should they be respected when what most of them do is "la cram, la pour.
I hope you know that no one stopped you from practicing "la cram, la pour" when others were doing it and making 1st Class?

FrancisTony: What should be respected is what they achieves (sic) in life not ordinary paper award.

You don't expect me to be respecting someone with 1st class in EEE when he haven't achieved anything meaningful to the society.
Its obvious you belong to the Alaba International or Oshodi Oke crew.

FrancisTony:
Wole Soyinka made 2.1 in University and he is being respected today for what he has achieved in life not paper certificate. You dig? undecided
He never made a 2.1; he was a 3rd Class graduate.

FrancisTony:
Nigerian education is solely based on theory and little or no practical. So, First class should be disregarded except what you are able to reproduce in labour market. Kapish? tongue
I can feel someone with a "Certificate of Attendance" rumbling.

1 Like

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by yorex2011: 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2014
Mickeywilliams: [color=#000000][/color]sorry just felt I might know you,Were you in alika's set? Dr. aravie wants to finish us here oooo :Dsorry just felt I might know you,Were you in alika's set? Dr. aravie wants to finish us here oooo

Yh.. Alika was my classmate
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by zaragoza(m): 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2014
greatestman:

That is were you got it wrong, we over hype first class graduates in public universities (Mind you i am student from public university with CGPA of 4.47 on the scale of 5.0 point in my final year). In public universities we have frustrated Lecturers that are not satisfied with their monthly pay, and secondly the employment selection is base on WHO YOU KNOW factor. But lecturers in private universities are selected base on merit. People with passion for teaching, people that have teaching ethics, people that are delighted to see their students passing, people that are ready to help their students. Why won't the students have good grades? unlike our lecturers in public universities that are forming local champion without any teaching ethics, been harsh to their students, nobody is ready to attend to your personal problem. Why won't you graduate with 4.2 in place of 4.6? please carry your frustration to somewhere else, Not private universities first class graduates they are good they have conducive environment for learning, they have good lecturers etc. Any first class product being it from private, state or Federal universities are good in their on way. (Being it sorting, being it malpractice, being it cramming, being it natural intelligence etc)

my dear, 'sorting' ur lecturers and indulging in malpractices can neva get u a first class.
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 06, 2014
realone2012: The problem mostly is the lecturers like @greatestman pointed out.
Imagine, since the establishmemt of my school (Unilorin) since 1975, they dont have a first class in some depts like Chemistry, Political Science to mention a few.
I always wonder when I hear this; For people to study courses like Medicine, Anatomy and so on in the same school and survive, why wont courses like chem, pos produce a first class in almost 40years of the school's existence? And if the lecturers should tell you their reasons; it would be like, as good as I was in my school days I finished with a 2.2 or some 2.1 and I see no reason why a student should have a better grade i.e first class. Why the fvck is you finishing with 2.1 or 2.2 the problem of your innocent students?
Like another lecturer at a dept told his students after setting their exam question that; "I have answered those questions and I marked my self using my marking scheme and I got a C, so I cant see what any one of you would write to get more than a C". Look at this!! words like this would even kill some students that are trying to be serious just because of exams psychologically.

Our Education in this country needs total reformation most esp the public one.
God help 'our' dear country NIGERIA!!
I don't know about Chemistry cuz I'm a social scientist !

Political Science is not an easier course as you think .. I'm a product of Unilorin and Minored Pos111 during my time in BSS ..... Despite my excellence in government, governance and Political/social debate , I had ''E'' in my Pos111 exams !

Nowadays, I'm a part time examiner ( I mark exams) and my brother , you don't wanto see what people are writing in Higher Institutions ....... It is as if reading culture and reading with maturity aint there no more !!

Some people will write 3 pages which is completely different from the marking scheme and they will score Zero only to be cursing lecturers ........ Out of 450 exam booklets attimes only 10 students may perform superbly well till you think as if they have seen the marking scheme before !

Political Science is a very deep concept/theory that requires very deep understanding of various school of thoughts and how to Juxtaposed between these schools and contribute your own quota to Knowledge based on what you feel !

It aint easy .... I will never insult any of my lecturer no more .... I have seen what I was during my Undergraduate days .... Technology is a disease against formal Education/Knowledge !

Respect to Public schools FirstClass !

2 Likes

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by sammie4real: 1:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
Can we have first class students in a non-first class environment? Goat nor dey born cow...abi? I respect everyone even the third class materials all have something to produce if organized well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by sujex2015: 1:13pm On Sep 06, 2014
FlyboyZee:
You are dead wrong or is it wrong on point they say these days? The best Teachers are always in th public schools. Moreover, public universities pay the highest wages in Nigeria. Almost, I repeat again, almost all the Lecturers in private universities in Nigeria earn their main wages in the public universities where they work full time and then freelance or carry out adjunct or part time lecturing jobs in the private universities. Ask any full time private university Lecturer you meet and he would not exhitate to let you know that his desire is to be employed in a public university. I'm in the field and I know what I am talking about. One other thing you have to bear in mind is that private universities in Nigeria are not far from glorified secomdary schools.

What the OP is saying is that it is much more difficult for you to pass and especially pass well, when all the forces that be are working against you than when the forces that be are working for you. The op is also illustrative of the fact that Nigerain public University graduates also excel outstandingly in foriegn universities not minding the conditions of learning they had been subjected to in Nigeria.
hating on private schools wnt solve d issue......besides wt all dis strike nd ur so called"forces" I believe d first class product of a public uni z far below standard.....due 2 continuous interruption in academic calender of public schools n oda factors u find out dat public uni produce half baked firstclass.....I stand 2 b corrected tho..
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Rexnegro(m): 1:13pm On Sep 06, 2014
@op there u re wrong ...all nigeria uni graduates regardless of the degree class should be respected by employing them into labour market immediately after service yrs...first class respected ? Fine take respect but no job then what's the need for the respect then ?
Re: Respect First Class Students In Public Universities by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
sensisosu:

with this write up, I don't think you deserve a first class from any university......
not until he blows grammer like Hon Patric abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Chidi Chike Achebe Bags Award In Medicine And Science At US College (Photo) / JAMB 2017: Oloyede Made Everyone Look Brilliant / Hilarious Letter Of A Secondary School Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.