Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

THE WEB - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE WEB (116990 Views)

The Africa Connected. Success Stories Powered By The Web Contest / ***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE WEB by Missmossy(f): 10:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
Beautiful piece Candy,welldone.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 30, 2014
Candy,my sweet lollipop! I see you're improving,kudos.
Remember to vote for #TeamJennimma,ur number 1 fan.
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2014
Kasala don dey burst small small.Thanks 4 d update,welldone
Re: THE WEB by zyzxx(m): 2:05pm On Oct 31, 2014
Missmossy:
av catch u up @last cheesycheesy
Re: THE WEB by zyzxx(m): 2:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
candy u are a great writer I must say
Welldone ma'am
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
Missmossy:
Thanks a million times! Keep following my sister.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2014
zyzxx:
candy u are a great writer I must say
Welldone ma'am
Thanks bro. Come back for some more tomorrow. I can see missmossy's invitation yielded good fruit cheesy
Re: THE WEB by zyzxx(m): 3:08pm On Oct 31, 2014
candy:

Thanks bro. Come back for some more tomorrow. I can see missmossy's invitation yielded good fruit cheesy
yes it does.
I spent 4 hours to catch wit u guys
It reach a stage I want to stop but I can't, I just stay glued to my phone.
I must confess ur writing skills is charming wink

More wisdom.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 31, 2014
seunviju:
Kasala don dey burst small small.Thanks 4 d update,welldone
You can say that again. We see how far tomorrow by God's grace. Thanks for your consistency on this thread, you deserve a gift!
Re: THE WEB by tfabu: 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
Well done candy,ure doing a great job here.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 31, 2014
Jennimma:
Candy,my sweet lollipop! I see you're improving,kudos.
Remember to vote for #TeamJennimma,ur number 1 fan.
I've not checked the miss nairaland contest thread, are you contesting? You bet we gat your back if you are.

#teamjennimma jor wink
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 31, 2014
tfabu:
Well done candy,ure doing a great job here.
Thanks, keep following for juicy updates.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
Interesting as always. Nice.
#still following#
Re: THE WEB by Missmossy(f): 8:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
candy:

candy:

Don't mention,its really nothing. More fruits will be yielded as soon as possible. Continue the good work ma!
Re: THE WEB by manuel80(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
thumbs up candy
really great job
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:40am On Nov 01, 2014

She hadn't thought of that- of the possibility of him overhearing or of his reaction if and when he heard. For long moments after he said those words, mrs seriki starred at her computer screen, reminded of the past so clearly it took her breath. She ran her thumb across the keyboard, remembering her first meeting with Adebimpe, how the whole baby thing had all happened.

"Mum are you going to say something?", he asked, even as he banged his fists on the table in frustration.
Shocked back to reality with the loud bang of Tobi's fist connecting with the table, she stood up with a start. What happened to Tobi? She asked herself, where had all the anger and hard-edged cynicism come from? Sadness moved over her. All these years she had seen him as a kind hearted, soft mummy's boy who won't raise his voice at a woman, least of all her!

Mrs seriki walked to the window, she gazed out at the day, at the street. Then she turned to look at him. Even his face had changed, she thought. It too had become hard, etched by time and hard-earned experience, by the loss of trust. Tears streamed down her elegantly made up face, nostrils blocked, her heart ached.

She walked across the room and sat down beside her son, both hands held his. She tried to stiffle the sob without success. Unable to bear it any longer, Tobi picked wads of tissue from the box that sat on her desk and wiped her tears, his heart softened.

Placing her hands on his again, she looked him straight in the eye before saying, "Oluwatobiloba, everything you heard is true".
"How come, mum?" He asked quietly, the fight gone out of him. "I saw your picture as a pregnant woman, dated 25 years back. If I'm not the child you had, who was?"

"It's a long story, my son, a very long and painful one"

He snatched his hands from hers. "Tell me the story mum, I'm all ears"

Once again, she stood up and walked to the window. This time, she drew the drapes and looked outside as if to draw some energy from the atmosphere. Then she moved towards her desk, picked up the intercom and instructed her secretary she won't see anyone till she's through with her son.

"It all began on a tuesday morning in Lagos, sometime in October 1988, on my way back from the airport where I had gone to drop off my husband".

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by tescoleps(f): 8:48am On Nov 01, 2014
Ghen ghen... The story i've longed to hear.. I don carry mat come. Ride on candy. God is with u dear. btw, welcome to november. May it usher in new blessings for us IJN.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 01, 2014

October 1988

Adebimpe's morning had all the makings of a blockbuster disaster flick. Because of her unusual fatigue after cleaning the kitchen the previous night, she had over slept. Still very tired, she slipped her cheap night gown off her beautiful body and wore a well-worn locally made faded dress, one of her few possessions.

When she finally made it out to the kitchen, she'd put the kettle on fire but forgot to put fresh water. Within seconds, the kettle began whistling loudly. Realising her mistake, she quickly switched it off and put some water.

To finish it all off, her head pounded seriously, slowing her down. Thankfully, she had done the dishes the previous night. Mrs Seriki was at the gate, honking loudly like someone possessed. Luckily for her, she didn't have to open the gate; Emma who doubled as gate keeper and errand boy, was with madam. Obviously, they were returning from the airport after dropping oga, she thought. They had planned to set out by 5am.

She checked the time, it was 7:08am, two and half hours later than her usual waking time of 4:30am.

She rushed to the door to let madam in.

"Welcome ma", adebimpe knelt to greet her boss.
Mrs Seriki only yawned in response and headed straight for the bathroom while Adebimpe rushed to the kitchen to complete her task of setting the table for breakfast. The kitchen door opened before adebimpe could put the freshly boiled water in the thermos.

"Why is the water for tea not on the table?" She asked, facing Bimpe.

"Em...em...em...it's still on fire ma"
"And, that would be because...?", she waited for her excuse.

A resounding slap across her sleepy face cut her excuse short. "Since when did you start boiling water by 7am?" Mrs Seriki asked her

"I'm sorry ma, I was washing the toilets" a lie she shouldn't have told- both toilets were dry. "Whoa" another hot slap."I just peed in the toilet now, no water on the floor"

Adebimpe sobbed as she crouched on a corner of the kitchen. She was getting weaker and weaker, fear won't let her tell her madam how she felt. Her head nearly exploding. She stood up to get the whistling kettle off the fire, then she slumped.

"What happened to you?" Mrs Seriki asked, unconcerned. When Adebimpe refused to get up and open her eyes, mrs seriki screamed out Emma's name.

Emma emptied a bucket of water on her head before she became conscious.
"You idiot", she said as Emma looked on from the kitchen entrance, still holding the empty bucket. "What was that stunt? You fainting on me?"

"I'm sorry ma" her voice came out sounding even fainter than she looked. She stood up on shaky legs and leaned on the kitchen cabinet to regain her balance. Emma, sensing how weak she was, helped her by scooping the water on the floor back into the empty bucket so she won't have to do that again in her weak state.

Mrs seriki picked the land phone receiver and dialed her friend, Dr Smart's home line.

"Hello, ore. Please I will like you to help me check this girl o", she said into the receiver.

"Yes, ok." She hung up and headed for her room.

Adebimpe heaved a sigh of relief when she left. What's with the fatigue and fainting? She asked herself. Agreed, she had not been feeding well, courtesy of madam who had been making her and Emma eat left over food and eba without meat. She opened the fridge and brought out the left over yam, from the previous morning. She warmed it up and served in two places. It wasn't enough. She quickly took a few slices from madam,s bread and hid it in her wrapper before heading for the BQ.

"Uncle Emma", she whispered as she rounded the corner that lead to the bq.
"Ha, bimpe! How you dey now?" He asked, concern written on his kind face.
"Uncle, I don't know o. I don't eat well. Take yam, me I'll eat bread"

"That yam na from yesterday abi?", Emma asked

"Yes, but I don warm am, e never spoil"
"Why this woman dey always make you cook extra food and make us eat when e don almost spoil na?" He asked, standing up to collect his bowl of yam and palmoil.

"You know, oga emman, she say she dey save gas". They both laughed and sat down to eat their breakfast.

Concerned, Emma asked her after a while, "wetin dey do you, my sister? A bi you wan go ya village?"

"No o, I dey ok oga emma" she assuered him.

Just then, Mrs Seriki busted out from the kitchen door, seething with anger.
"What are you doing? Eating my bead abi? Quietly throw the bread in the bin, now!"

Bimpe looked at the bread and her eyes were filled with tears, but she refused to let them fall. Emma stood up and quickly walked towards the gate, leaving his half finished food. Wicked woman, he thought.

"We are going to see Dr Smart now"
Ok ma, I'll just wash my face and brush my t..."
"Meet me in the car", she told bimpe. She hurriedly brushed her teeth, and washed her face. No point changing her cloth- she had none better.

"I'm set ma" she got into the car and sat down with her arms folded on her chest, fear enveloped her as they drove through the streets of Lagos that rainy October morning.

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:10am On Nov 01, 2014
tescoleps:
Ghen ghen... The story i've longed to hear.. I don carry mat come. Ride on candy. God is with u dear. btw, welcome to november. May it usher in new blessings for us IJN.
Spread that mat well my sister, story getting hot now.

I wish you a blessed and fulfilling new month. This is our month of fulfillment in Jesus name.
Re: THE WEB by kingphilip(m): 11:24am On Nov 01, 2014
tescoleps:
make I join u for da mat jare

BTW candy always dishing out candilicious updates... please come continue
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
Excellent! Strawberry flavoured candy.
Re: THE WEB by tfabu: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
Interesting as usual,more updates plsss
Re: THE WEB by CYclone1(f): 3:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
This is what we are talking about.by the way this is sweeeeet but short plsssss
Re: THE WEB by Queenxstar(f): 7:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
The cycle is about to be complete.
Wonderful work ma'am.
Re: THE WEB by bblacky(f): 9:21pm On Nov 01, 2014
All day have been so glued to this story. Very suspenseful one you got here candy......ur one of NL finest writers...

Team Dr. Smart, she realized her mistakes and out to make corrections, her daughters' lives s a good lesson to her that d evil men do lives with them...

Iron lady....finally she has to mellow down....am glad Tobi heard it al already........

Hmmmm let t nt be wat am thinking oo abt Madam ty n chief ooo.....heheheh

Keep t up ma'am its getting more interesting....
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
Chai,Adebimpe don suffer no b small.Thanks for the update
Re: THE WEB by jummy604: 7:50am On Nov 02, 2014
Your story taste just lyk your name candyyyyy.
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 8:22am On Nov 02, 2014
nd d main story begins! Still here
Re: THE WEB by gal10(f): 10:23am On Nov 02, 2014
Wowwwww started this morning and all i can say is wowwwwwww thank you. Definitely following
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 03, 2014

"She's three weeks gone" Dr Adeola Smart informed her friend as the latter faced her, mouth open, jaw dropping.

"Wow" was all she could utter.
"The signs are there, you just didn't notice"

Adebimpe stood up from the examination couch looking dejected. If the floor could have opened its wide mouth and swallowed her, Adebimpe would have been thankful. How did it happen? She asked herself.
"How did it happen?" The scary big doctor shouted at her.

Shaking all over, she opened her mouth but no word came out.
The big doctor shook her violently, her madam looked on in horror.
"Who got you pregnant?" Dr Smart asked
Mrs Seriki stood up, "it's that stupid Emma" she said confidently.
"Was it Emma?" Dr Smart asked again.
Still, no words came. She had never slept with Emma. She had had s*exual intercourse with two men in her life,on the two occasions, she'd been forced.

Like most girls her age back in those days, she had no idea of what sex was like, nobody ever discussed sex education with her.

Fear of what might happen to poor Emma if she didn't speak up gripped her.
"It's...it's...not...oga Emma", she pleaded.
"Ok. We'll see" her madam said, obviously disbelieving her. They were in the consulting room Dr Smart shared with three other young doctors.
"We'll be going home now. We'll sort this out when you return from work" Mrs seriki said, standing up.

"Yes, I'll see you soon" Dr Smart walked them to the door. The conc. Smell of izal greeted their nostrils, Adebimpe wanted to throw up. The hallway was cramped by patients over flowing from the waiting rooms, typical of government hospitals.

They drove back home in near silence, with mrs seriki's occassional name calling. Most of the time, she just kept quiet.

"Emma is in trouble" she kept reepeating.
Adebimpe had since given up on trying to persuade her it wasn't Emma that knocked her up. Instead, she kept quiet and thought of how it all happened. Again, tears flowed freely from her eyes.

By the time madam pulled up in the compound, her eyes were reddened and swollen with tears.

"Welcome, ma", Emma prostrated as he opened the car door.
Without returning his greetings, she looked him up and down, before instructing him to pack his things and leave.

"I give you 30minutes"
"Oga, wetin I do ma?" he asked, shocked
Adebimpe sobbed loudly, begging madam and repeatedly telling her Emma was innocent. It all fell on deaf ears. Emma quickly went to his one room shack at the supposed bq and threw his few stuff in a big nylon bag which he slung over his shoulder, confussion written all over his face.

Mrs Seriki threw a few naira notes at his feet. He picked up the notes and said goodbye, still in shock. Mrs Seriki watched him leave before she got back in the car and left for work.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2014

Through that morning, she worked her a*ss out in the house. Though gone off to work, Mrs Seriki left enough work for her to last the whole day and even night. She was tired. Twice, she almost collapsed.

By 3pm, she decided to run away, back to her mother's waiting arms. One thing stopped her; she had dissappointed her dear poor mother. If only she could get rid of this pregnancy, she thought. She had cried the whole day, she had little fight left in her and she decided to weather the storm;wait for her madam and see how it all played out.

Madam honked by 4:30pm. This time, with oga Emma gone, she had to double as gate keeper. She quickly ran to the gate and flung it open. As the car drove by her, she saw one other figure;Dr Smart. Both women got down and pounced on her almost immediately.

"So, what have you been doing since?" Her madam asked
"Are you ready to talk now?", her friend asked.
She just starred at her slippered feet, unable to utter a word.
"Are you deaf?" The women chorused at the same time.

"I'm sorry ma", was all she could say
"Sorry about what?"One of the women asked, she didn't even care which one.
"Anyway", her madam looked her in the eye, "you will go to Dr Smart's place from next week. You will stay there till you have the baby"

She was so scared of the women, all she could muster the courage to say was "thank you ma". As far as they let her have the baby in peace. One thing made her tremble inside though; Mr Smart. She had an unhealthy fear of this man. As if reading her thoughts, Dr Smart cleared her throat and told her not to worry about her husband.
"He will be leaving for UK on monday, will be gone for eight months and you will be restricted to the bq, nobody goes there".

"Thank you for everything, my dear friend", mrs seriki said.
"What are friends for?", she asked and the two women hugged.

Very confused now, she wondered why they were being so nice to her. It was a very unusual kindness and suddenly, she became wary, almost as if she could feel an evil lurking somewhere at the back of their dark hearts.

Adebimpe became heartsick. At her silence, Mrs Seriki smiled, undaunted, as she held her friend's arms like a teenager and walked into the house, giggling.

She felt so lonely suddenly.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by kingphilip(m): 7:53am On Nov 03, 2014
Hmmmmm someone been persecuted for what he knows nothing about that's really annoying

candy thank for rescuing my Oliver twist heart
BTW comeback n gimme more

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (36) (Reply)

Call Of The Wind: THE GENESIS [Magic] / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / We Are Able(a Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.