Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

THE WEB - Literature (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE WEB (117121 Views)

The Africa Connected. Success Stories Powered By The Web Contest / ***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE WEB by mizkeleke(f): 7:31am On Dec 03, 2014
Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, Candy, candy, Candy..
........ Waiting oo
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 03, 2014

Mrs Seriki paced back and forth, her pencil heels squeaked on the polished tiles. It was 12:33pm. The expression on her face depicted anger. Anger over the phone call she just got from Dr Emma, the phone call that summoned her to Dome Hotel at this time of the day. He was already becoming a pain in the butts.

She tried to work off some of the anger by looking out the window. The scene outside didn't do the trick. The window in her suite overlooked the car park. Just as she was about to move away from the window, she sighted Dr Emma's EOD. That infuriated her even more. She had warned him not to drive to the hotel in the EOD again, the car was like his identity card.

Within minutes, she heard him knock and walked across the room to open it. Frowning at him, Mrs Seriki said, "what exactly is your problem? You came in that car again, have you considered Chief or one of his boys could have spotted you and followed you?"

"So, why would he follow me when he doesn't suspect anything?" Dr Emma asked as he sat on the bed, not caring how she felt about his nonchalant attitude.

"You don't know my husband at all. Anyway, why did you call me like that? What's so urgent?" Mrs Seriki asked.

Dr Emma adjusted his sitting position and cleared his throat before speaking. "Take a look at this." He handed her a picture of madam ty. She scanned the picture for a few seconds and shrugged her shoulders.

"Who is this?" She asked, feigning ignorance.
"you tell me!" He retorted
"No, Emma, you tell me. What has the picture got to do with me?"

"Stop pretending Mrs Helen Seriki. This is Adebimpe, Tobi's- your son's biological mother."

She looked squashed. How could he have found that out? She thought. "What are you talking about?" She asked in anger. She was angry enough that he made her leave a meeting, only for him to come thirty minutes late.

Dr Emma got up from the bed and stood next to Mrs Seriki. At 5"5 inches, he was about 2 inches shorter than Mrs Seriki, but what he lacked in height, he made up for in body weight. he looked rounded in his navy blue guinea brocade. He felt proud. His slight pot belly was considered a sign of affluence in this part of the globe.

"My wife's sister lives in the same compound with her mother in Osogbo. She heard the story of the woman having twins and one of them being Bolu, the corper."

Mrs Seriki tied and untied her wrapper, then crossed her legs and uncrossed them. She was confused but unyielding. "So, what if she's Bolu's mum and she's a twin? What gives you the impression its Tobi?"

Dr Emma smiled. "I did my homework thoroughly. You remember that day at the hospital? I have pieced two and two together with the information from Osogbo. We can tell chief to do a dna test for you and Tobi, if you don't mind" He ended with another big smile.

"So, what do you want to gain by doing this?" She asked him. Her face creased in a frown.

He sat on the arm of the couch she sat on. He took her by the chin, held her face, not gently, not with erotic intention, but as an extension of the threat first embodied by his tone an allegation. He was desperate to get something out of this stone faced woman. His wife was already suspecting their moves and he had to cut her loose.

"I need to shut my sister in law up, I have some urgent need for money too."

"Don't bite more than you can chew, Emma." She asked. "You expect me to go jittery over your false allegation? Better luck next time" with that, she walked to the door and flung it open.
Emma was shocked at her reaction.

"It's not blackmail. I'm trying to help you keep your marriage here!" He defended his greed. She sighed in frustration. "Get out of here. Call me when you have proof." She shoved him out of the room and bolted the door. She sank back on the bed and placed her head on her palm.

She was profoundly relieved. She even smiled. At least, he had confirmed that Adebimpe was in Osogbo, plus her son still hated her with a passion. Then she remembered the warning baba gave her regarding the charm and the smile faded for a second. With Tobi living alone, she had to take more care. Her sources had reported seeing Bolu in town, it only meant they are back from the honeymoon. Meaningless as the threat of Bolu's return was, she knew she had to respond to it and protect her son.

Bolu watched her mother closely, trying to figure how she could force her to stay back with her in Ibadan. Madam ty was no longer in her shell, but she was not too cheerful and it still bothered Bolu sometimes. She had been with them since they returned from their honeymoon the previous saturday and was bent on going back to Oshogbo that saturday.

"I can't take care of you in Oshogbo. I really can't. Will you stay here with me? Please?"
She didn't answer. She got up from the armchair, walked around the coffee table, and stood with her hands resting on the table, frowning down at it.
She kept her head bowed.
With all the love she could muster in one breath, bolu held her mother, and said, "look at me and tell me why you have to go back today."

Madam ty looked at her. In a tremulous voice that indicated she expected to be scolded, she said, "you have just gotten married. You need all the privacy and I really think it's too early for you to have live-in guests."

Surprisingly, she saw sense in what her mother just said. She hugged her and held her close to herself. "Mum, you are one in a million."

Madam ty smiled for the first time. She was going back to Oshogbo for a different reason than the one she just told her daughter. She was no longer comfortable in ibadan, she still couldn't figure out why. She had this nagging feeling that something bad happened to her in this city, something she could no longer remember.

"At least we'll enjoy your delicious soup." Bolu assured her. Madam ty had cooked enough to last them a week or two. All in the freezer. "I'll get Ade on the phone now so we can go drop you quickly.

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 03, 2014

"Tobi, we should go say congratulations to Ade. After all, you are not having any problems with him personally." Kunle said as he sipped his cold heinneken beer. He was visiting Tobi at his new apartment. Tobi stared at the empty space. He had moved out of his parents house the previous week and was still basking in the euphoria of his new found freedom.

It was a small apartment, the bq of the house his parents just moved from. Even when they were here, he had always lived in the bq. It was his space, he loved it. With the help of Temi, he had redecorated to his taste. With just two rooms, a parlor and a small kitchen, he had more than enough space.

He walked to the fridge and popped another can of beer. His second and maximum for the day. "O boy, I don't want to see that his wife and monster in law jor." He smiled at his own joke. Kunle was shocked, he didn't find it funny.
"You once told me that 'monster in law' was your real mother! Besides, she lives in Osogbo, according to Ade."

"Whatever. That was before I knew the truth. Ok, we go tomorrow after service."

"Guys, lunch is served." Bola, Kunle's girlfriend called from the kitchen. Since Temi started avoiding him, Tobi has been lonely and unable to get over her. Maybe going to Ade's place is a good idea- chances of meeting Temi there are high, he thought.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 03, 2014
Busy week here peeps. Thanks for your love and thanks for nominating me for best writer of the month on the best writer thread! Wow, I feel honored o! Keep nominating sha, maybe we'll win and share the gift on Christmas chicken.

More updates coming soon...keep reading...xoxoxoxoxoxo

2 Likes

Re: THE WEB by ikanason(m): 9:26am On Dec 03, 2014
Nice one miss candy, i cant wait to read more...
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 03, 2014
ikanason:
Nice one miss candy, i cant wait to read more...
Thanks.
Re: THE WEB by D9ty7(m): 9:33am On Dec 03, 2014
#Ever present reader.
Re: THE WEB by Mariaben(f): 9:38am On Dec 03, 2014
More power to your elbow, more ink to your pen and more swift to your keyboard Candy
Re: THE WEB by pickabeau1: 10:12am On Dec 03, 2014
good story... candy,, good use of imagery and narrative
However the web/the spider and the flies are still yet to be seen

once it was evident that tobi and bolu were twins
The story started getting flat

we need a boost, a twister
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 10:29am On Dec 03, 2014
A big thumb up to u CANDY. Hw can madam to forget that something bad happened to her in Ib. Hw can she forget wen she was nt diagnosed of amnesia. Pls throw more light. Seems this FP stuff brought u out to update more than once a week.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 03, 2014
Hameenat94:
A big thumb up to u CANDY. Hw can madam to forget that something bad happened to her in Ib. Hw can she forget wen she was nt diagnosed of amnesia. Pls throw more light. Seems this FP stuff brought u out to update more than once a week.
Yea, fp leads to more pressure, my dear sister!

As per her forgetting certain stuff, don't worry...there is a sound explanation for that later. More light will be thrown when we get there. Thanks for being there for a sister. Keep reading.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 03, 2014
pickabeau1:
good story... candy,, good use of imagery and narrative...

Thanks for the comment. The web is just about how inter connected peoples' lives really is...(I have considered changing the title though).

The story didn't end where we discovered Bolu and Tobi are twins...it's just another beginnning in the story, just like knowing the perp in a murder and trying to figure out how they did it.
Re: THE WEB by ruffhandu: 11:41am On Dec 03, 2014
candy:
Busy week here peeps. Thanks for your love and thanks for nominating me for best writer of the month on the best writer thread! Wow, I feel honored o! Keep nominating sha, maybe we'll win and share the gift on Christmas chicken.

Well done Candy. God's grace in your busy schedules.
Re: THE WEB by pickabeau1: 11:45am On Dec 03, 2014
candy:

Thanks for the comment. The web is just about how inter connected peoples' lives really is...(I have considered changing the title though).

The story didn't end where we discovered Bolu and Tobi are twins...it's just another beginnning in the story, just like knowing the perp in a murder and trying to figure out how they did it.

good response to the feedback
Now i get the web
My initial thought was Mrs Seriki as a master puppeteer spining deception around Madam TY, her doctor friend, Awa, Tobi but I get your own definition now

I will keep reading and wait for your twist
Re: THE WEB by stuff46(m): 11:52am On Dec 03, 2014
Alezy:
i dont even know how to quote someone but this is my first comment on nairaland and i decided to register after 3years of just reading peoples posts and comments all becos of THE WEB by CANDY. An amazing story i must say. Thumbs up.

welcome welcome
Re: THE WEB by joliej(f): 1:02pm On Dec 03, 2014
candy:

you deserve it my dear
your plot is totally awesome
you really are a fine writer.
more ink to your pen....
kiss
candy:

you deserve it my dear
your plot is totally awesome
you really are a fine writer.
more ink to your pen....
Re: THE WEB by Alezy(m): 5:02pm On Dec 03, 2014
kollyso:

To quote, just press the button 'Quote' and you will be taken to the environment meant for it.
oh thanks, that jst worked 4 me. Tried it b4 and i cleared the words i saw b4 i started typing. i ended up just making a comment.
Re: THE WEB by Alezy(m): 5:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
stuff46:

welcome welcome
Thanks
Re: THE WEB by lenmafon: 8:08pm On Dec 03, 2014
i wanted to wait till the story finish before i comment but at this 'yoncture' i cannot continue to eat and wipe my mouth clean. thank you candy sweeti for the story. pls tell mrs helen that jazz get expiry date so soonest tobi will come back to his senses. *many kisses kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss*
Re: THE WEB by YasirNasir(f): 9:27pm On Dec 03, 2014
WELDONE.
Re: THE WEB by QueenTolpatx(f): 10:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
Weldone Candy wink wink
Re: THE WEB by hassan85(m): 7:05am On Dec 04, 2014
Weldon and Yes you deserve to be the best writer. you do.
Re: THE WEB by mizkeleke(f): 7:40am On Dec 04, 2014
Welldone Candy. I laff Mrs Seriki, yawa go soon gas for her side wen d buba wey cover Tobi eye go clear. grin
Re: THE WEB by QueenTolpatx(f): 11:24pm On Dec 04, 2014
mizkeleke:
Welldone Candy. I laff Mrs Seriki, yawa go soon gas for her side wen d buba wey cover Tobi eye go clear. grin

Abi o, make she knw say na every tinn 4 dis world get expiry date. grin

Candy I salute o wink
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 05, 2014

"Are you alright, man?" Kunle asked as Tobi negotiated the bend before Ade and Bolu's Iyaganku residence.
"I'm ok, K." Tobi assured him. His mum had grilled him intensively over his intended visit to the Thomas home, so much that he was already regretting coming. "Don't eat there, don't stay late..." Were some of her numerous instructions. She only relaxed a bit when he called and confirmed from Ade that his mother-in-law was safely tucked somewhere in Oshogbo.

They caught the couple transplanting a set of flowers from the nursery as they drove in. "Hiiiiii!" Bolu almost jumped up for joy on seeing her brother. she dropped the trowel and washed her hands at the tap.

"Hi guys." Ade hugged his friends. He was equally hAppy to see them. The friends chatted over a game of soccer and tried to catch up on old times, while Bolu warmed some soup in the microwave. She made instant pounded yam and set the table.

"Guys, lunch is served, get over here." She announced while leaning on her husband's shoulder. Ade and Kunle stood up and headed for the dinning table, but Tobi didn't bulge.

"I had amala before coming here." He told Bolu who looked downcast.
"At least take meat." Ade offered him two pieces of well garnished fried chicken. He placed it on the small stool beside him. A bite or two wouldn't hurt, he thought as he took a small bite. He took one more bite, chewed and wiped his hands and mouth. He had had enough.

Bolu smiled and joined him on the sofa. "Tobi, I bought silk ties and some nice stuff for you from Bangkok. Will you like me to bring them now?" She stood up even before he answered her. She was back with the items in two minutes. They were all gift wrapped in fancy wrapper. She handed the gift box to him but he just squeezed his face in irritation and ignored her outstretched hands, bearing the gifts.

"Sorry, but I have moree than enough ties." Tobi sneered at her. Ade and kunle felt so embarrassed but ignored them. They didn't want to embarrass her even more. Without saying a word, Tobi stood up and headed for the door.

Unable to hold it anymore, Kunle walked up to Bolu, placed a hand gently on her shoulder.The gift dropped on floor and he picked it up."I"ll give him this." He assured her. She was past caring. She caught her lower lip between her teeth. In an emotion laden voice, almost choked to tears, she said, "I'll keep it for him. He'll come get it when this all dies down." Kunle smiled, impressed at her strength.

"I guess we'll see you guys later then."
He ran after Tobi who had already started the car engine.

"Yea man, thanks for calling. " Ade waved. He held his wife and rocked her. "We should continue to hope for a change in his attitude. Thank God she didn't meet your mum here."

Bolu's face softened, a smile threatened to break in her lips. As she said, "do you think he would have come if he found out she was here?"

"I bet not." They both smiled as they cleared the table. "You know, I've been thinking of that charm thing Temi mentioned..."

"Forget charm, nothing like that." Ade waved her off and she kept quiet. Maybe there really is no charm, she thought.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 05, 2014

Mrs Seriki sat in their private living room. She flipped through cable channels and finally settled for african magic yoruba. She giggled and sneered at the scenes and actors. She was relaxed and very happy. Then she felt that thug at her heart, for the second time within the hours. Then the knot in her stomach, again. She knew it was nothing physical, it was an ominous feeling that tugged at her heart.

She turned the tv volume down and climbed the short stairs to their room. She rummaged through the drawers and found what she was looking for. A crude wooden dummy. Pulling it out, she was surprised to find its eyes open. She was almost sure its eyes were shut tight when baba handed it over to her in Kabba. She had to make calls urgently. The ominous feeling wouldn't leave.

"Madam..." She turned swiftly at the voice.
"Chief, you are back? I didn't hear you come in."
"Yea, the meeting couldn't hold, the pastor had an emergency." Chief started removing his agbada in front of the mirror. He was fond of undressing before the mirror.
"I was actually on my way out, chief. We have our own meeting at Chief Mrs Oni's residence."
"Hmmm, I was hoping for a nice afternoon with my wife. I would love to talk to you..." He said, but she was already up on her feet. The 'talk' with her can wait, she thought. She slipped her feet into a black casual slippers and didn't even bother to change out of the blue ankara she changed into after church.
"We'll talk later chief. I'm the secretary and you know that." With that, she picked her car key and half ran, half walked downstairs. Thankfully, she felt the dummy in her handbag. It would have been disastrous if she had left it on the bed out of panic;she almost did.

Sunday was Ray's day off. Ay, chief's driver drove the family on sundays. He opened the back door for her but she waved him off, "I'm driving myself." She managed a smile.

She drove about three blocks and parked the car. She brought out her phone and scrolled to baba's name.
It rang incessantly and after her fourth call, baba picked it.

"Hello, baba." She greeted in their local dialect.
"How are you, woman." Baba greeted
"Baba, I've been having this ominous feeling since my son went visiting his twin sister..."

"And you allowed him? He had eaten the forbidden, his eyes are open." Baba cut her short and told her without mincing words.

"Oh! But Adebimpe is not even in ibadan now! How is that possible?" She asked baba who sounded like he had lost interest in the conversation.
"Go ask your son what happened where he went to. There is nothing I can do until you see him. Even at that, I don't see any hope." He said and hung up on his end.

Mrs Seriki sank lower in the seat, she was sad. She started the engine and drove towards Tobi's house. Then she decided to call him even as she drove, just to be sure he was back. He picked the call, assured her he was back and she drove down to meet him. Luckily, traffic was light on sundays.

"Mum, what's going on?" Tobi asked as she rushed out of the car.
"I was on my way to a meeting, decided to check on you." She
Caught him sipping an energy drinnk on the couch, his shoes still on his feet. "Sorry the place is a mess ma." She stepped inside, he wasn't kidding about the place being a mess. She managed to create sitting space for herself by moving the clothes to one side on the sofa closest to the door.

"Tobi, how was your visit to Ade?"

"Hmm, uneventful."

"Hope you didn't eat anything there?" She asked, eager to hear a no. Tobi lowered his gaze. His eyes widened a bit, as if surprised. He turned his back to her.
"I ..."
"You what?" Mrs Seriki reached out a hand and turned him back to face her."Tell me the truth."
He folded his arms across his chest. He hated his friend for making him eat that chicken. A sinking sensation found its way at the pit of her stomach. "What have you done?" She asked.

"I didn't. Just a bite of two of fried chicken."

"Really? but you are sure his mother-in-law wasn't in the house?" She was sweating when he took a sit of water before answering.

"She wasn't there, she lives in Oshogbo. Apparently, she left yesterday."

She wasn't planning on keeping the boy for too long. At her age, she figured she didn't have too many years left and iif the boy could just love her till her death, she was willing to loosen her hold and break the charm before she died. That way, she remained happy for the rest of her life and Adebimpe could have her after that.

The warning was to ensure the boy didn't eat what his birth mother cooked. No warning against eating Bolu's food. She smiled and the smile faded again as another thought struck her...Unless...

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 05, 2014
Shout out to:

Jaymina,JoseWael,tsodjete,
Ronke001,limlim25,bolajJP007,
Xdunamis, chikkyberry, cestmoi1,fhemyxXx,emyrald91,
deain1,Rosytonia, mariemummy,Olivers2J, Sammyomotola,franklin000,
teamanbastos,MaBuk,calmdove,
sleekyshuga,stuff46,
Pelumzie,highlyfavouredo, mariaben, Almadrey,seehow,mizkeleke, hassan85,lenmafon

And ma all time faithfuls: Mariamferanmi
Stonecoldcafe,Bblacky,Jennimma,Zyzxx,
Thinezy,Boladex1,Amiablejudy,Missviva
Plaitex,Missmossy, tfabu,Manuel180,gal10,farheeda, QueenTolpatx, Queenxtar, tescoleps,debdave. Hameenat94, ruffhandu, kingphilip, D9ty7

Happy Weekend.

2 Likes

Re: THE WEB by whizcode: 10:50am On Dec 05, 2014
Awesome write up
Re: THE WEB by missviva(f): 11:56am On Dec 05, 2014
Мα∂αм seriki na greed go kill ‎​ ‎​Y̶̲̥̅̊o̶̲̥̅̊и̣̣̣̣̥....cheer up my sweet Bolu,he will come arnd soonest...thumb up 2 ‎​you ma'A̶̲̥̅♍ candy.
Re: THE WEB by kingphilip(m): 1:22pm On Dec 05, 2014
I think the charm is broken since he already ate the food prepared by his biological mother before traveling back but why was the hatred still there.. candy please i need answers

nice piece candy still here following religiously

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Skimpledawg(m): 1:39pm On Dec 05, 2014
Thx for d Brunch Candy!!! Come n tel us whu cooked d chicken oo!
Re: THE WEB by tsodjete: 1:42pm On Dec 05, 2014
Happy weekend to you too candy. I hope you will provide enough candy this weekend.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (36) (Reply)

Call Of The Wind: THE GENESIS [Magic] / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / We Are Able(a Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.