Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

THE WEB - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE WEB (116924 Views)

The Africa Connected. Success Stories Powered By The Web Contest / ***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 1:00am On Oct 10, 2014
Followinq...nice update.
Re: THE WEB by D9ty7(m): 10:50am On Oct 10, 2014
Re: THE WEB by D9ty7(m): 10:39am On Oct 14, 2014
Where is this woman? Madam Candy, where thou art?
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 14, 2014

"I thought you were going to stop bothering me and my mum this way", Bolu said as she opened her door, leaving Dr Adeola Smart standing at her doorstep.
Dr Smart stood in her door way, blocking the door with her body, arms outstretched in a plea.

"I know this is hard for you and your mum but it's harder for me". It was raining outside and her cloth was wet from the short distance from where she packed her car outside the gate to the stair way.

"What do you want ma, and how did you know this place? " Bolu asked, even as she opened the door wider to admit Dr Smart.

Sitting down on one of the two sofas in the neatly arranged apartment Bolu shared with Temi, Dr smart folded and unfolded her hands like a child caught in a bad act. "I have my way of getting information, Bolu" she said, "besides, I figured I'd get it over with. So, it happened I met someone who knows Temi and I met her. Not entirely enthusiastic, but I happened to mention that your mother once lived in my house when she was pregnant with you". Dr Smart said modestly with a smile and watched Bolu's reaction.

Seeing her revelation elicited the kind of reaction she wanted in the girl, she continued. "Bolu, I will like to tell your mother a secret I have kept for over two decades, just arrange a meeting and you can come along", she said and stood up to leave.

"Wait ma", Bolu said as she rushed to her side. "I'll call her today and we can meet up in your..."
"No, no meeting anywhere near me", Dr Smart quickly said. "Think of a neutral place far from Ring road and Oluyole estate and give me a call on this number". She quickly scribbled a number on a piece she tore off the prescription booklet she carried in her handbag.

"Ok ma". Bolu quietly shut the door. Still shocked by the visit from this powerful woman, she collapsed on the floor, she couldn't even bring herself to blame Temi for her role in facilitating this visit. No wonder she insisted on going to her parents' house today, bolu thought as she picked her phone and scrolled to her mum's name.

Their conversation was short and concise. And yes, Madam ty, Adebimpe could never forget the woman that gave her ante natal treatment in the confines of her house for seven months, the woman that delivered her babies on a makeshift delivery couch in her vacant boys' quarters, the woman that pronounced Bolu's twin a still born, the woman that gave her N200 on behalf of her friend and sent her and her day-old baby out in the rain! And yes, she wouldn't mind hearing what she had to say.

"I'll come home tomorrow after our CD. We'll dress you up fine- she's a big woman, her husband was even a senator"

"Come early enough"
"Good night ma"
"Night omo ola", her mother said.

Neither mother nor daughter could sleep that night. That night, she had a recap of the era of her life she had not only kept secret from her daughter, but had almost successfully forgotten ever happened. This time around, tried as she may, she could not suppress the thought neither could she stop the tears from cascading down her cheeks. She was in a kind of pain that wasn't physical.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2014

August 1987, Lagos

Mrs Helen Seriki and her husband were preparing to go for sunday service when they heard a loud banging at the gate. Who could it be? They both thought. Manuel, the gate keeper was away for the day and they weren't expecting any visitors.

"Dear, check who is at the gate, please, I don't want this rain to ruin my makeup", mrs Seriki said as she continued tying her gele in front of the mirror. Before she finished saying it, her husband had left to check who was there and she smiled, very nice guy, she thought.

The couple have been married for 6 years without children and it was putting a strain on their relationship. They had met when he returned from UK where he just bagged a second degree in civil engineering. She had done everything possible to capture the heart of the amiable young lecturer and she had won. Six years down, no issue, family pressure mounting but her husband had stood by her.

Mr Bode Seriki opened the pedestrian gate to check who was there and he was shocked to see a frail looking young beautiful girl, shaking from the rain.
"Come in, leave the rain", he said , pity showing on his handsome face. "Why didn't you get shelter in a house without a gate?" He asked with concern.
"Please sir, I need food and water" she said with shaky voice as she wiped her muddy feet on the foot mat at the entrance.
"Who are you and what do you want?", Mrs Seriki questioned with annoyance, even as the girl continued to shiver from the cold.
" Let's get her something to eat first, at least" Mr Bode Seriki pleaded with his wife and made to enter the house.
"Please, don't go and bring anything from my kitchen till I know this lady's mission", she said and hissed as she looked at their guest with disdain.

Ten minutes later, she was still standing at the door as the couple locked the door. Mr Seriki had succeeded in getting her a few slices of bread and butter. They watched as she ate hungrily.

"Well, as you can see, we are off to church", mrs seriki told her
"Ok ma, actually, I was hoping to get a job as a maid around here", Adebimpe said, starring at her feet in shame. She didn't like the condition she found herself in, having to beg for food and shelter. She was invited to Lagos by a neighbor who had the intention of turning her to a prostitute. She had refused to sell her body and was subsequently sent out without food and money.

"You want to work?" Mrs Seriki asked anxiously
"Yes ma", adebimpe responded shyly
"We don't need a maid, young lady", Mr Seriki said, but he was kept quiet by his wife.
"I need a maid, if you don't", she retorted
"Thank you ma".adebimpe knelt down to show her appreciation.

They left her at home and went to church. Coming back, she was given a room at the boys' quarter. The room was bare of any furniture and mrs seriki threw a mat on the floor for her.
"You wake up early to clean and cook breakfast, say 4.00am" she instructed
"Yes ma", bimpe said excitedly. Anything is better than prostitution or begging for transport fare at the park.

Manuel and Bimpe soon becAme friends as a result of madam's harsh treatment of her domestic staff. They spent their free time discussing about the disparity in the couple's nature and how they can move forward individually.

Oftentimes, Dr Adeola Smart visited the family and sometimes she went to her house to clean for her.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:54am On Oct 14, 2014
D9ty7:
Where is this woman? Madam Candy, where thou art?
Right here my brother. Been soo busy, sowi, ya all!

*you didn't say anything about the ileya meat I requested for on your thread o*
Re: THE WEB by D9ty7(m): 11:16am On Oct 14, 2014
The meat is for small kids like us and not adults.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 14, 2014
D9ty7:
The meat is for small kids like us and not adults.

You don take style chop alone...no wahala.
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 11:33am On Oct 14, 2014
Hmmmmmm.... Flashback!!!! Lets c hw d evil act was done.... Wonderful
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2014
Thumbs up candy. Cool story...seems i know what happened but lemme zip my mouth and let u do ur job
Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 10:17pm On Oct 14, 2014
Nice update
#followinq
Re: THE WEB by onismate: 5:23am On Oct 16, 2014
candy:

You don take style chop alone...no wahala.
following...nice write-up madam candy , i sent you a PM and am yet to get a reply, abeg drop your email, i wan buzz you,
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 16, 2014
Here and back...
I've missed you guys!!!
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 12:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
Huh,my fingers are crossed.Thanks for the update candy
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 16, 2014
onismate:
following...nice write-up madam candy , i sent you a PM and am yet to get a reply, abeg drop your email, i wan buzz you,
Thanks. Got the pm notification but I've not checked my inbox. You can reach me on bukkylizzy2003@yahoo.com.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
Divepen:
Here and back...
I've missed you guys!!!
Where have you been? You left us high and dry! Welcome back sha, the thread needs you.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 11:31pm On Oct 16, 2014
candy:

Where have you been? You left us high and dry! Welcome back sha, the thread needs you.
good day house...
Re: THE WEB by Plaitex(f): 9:17am On Oct 17, 2014
thanks for the update. All the secretes are being unveiled
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks ya all. Please check for update tomorrow, I'm having difficulty editing my updates. Hopefully, I'll get it done tonight and post it here tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
onismate:
I got your email, you can use the story on your webbie but not as yours, you have to acknowledge meas the writer because it's protected under copyrights law. As per your request to make it an eBook, may be a bit difficult as the complete work is already licenced to someone.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 17, 2014
candy:
Thanks ya all. Please check for update tomorrow, I'm having difficulty editing my updates. Hopefully, I'll get it done tonight and post it here tomorrow.
Squeezed myself 2ru the crowd to the front row. Looked right and left and all seats are occupied. Gently sat on the floor with my legs crossed, sipping my alomo with a bowl of pop corn and waits patiently for 2mao's updateS.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 17, 2014
candy:
#waiting#
#expecting#
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 18, 2014

The leaden sky settled lower under its own weight, the storm gathered, rain was imminent. From the look of things, it would fall by dusk, ensuring rush-hour commuter jam-ups that would make the ring road- challenge freeway almost impassable.

Mrs Helen Seriki should have left for home earlier, but she was putting finishing touches to a multi-million naira beautification contract. She sat in the executive chair behind her desk and worked on her computer. She had brought a can of Sanz from the fridge, suspecting she might need to lubricate her thoughts. She took a long swallow , it was cold and refreshing.

Though there were still many people in the offices of 'the compass builders', the only other people left in her part of the building were her secretary and driver, both waiting patiently at the secretary's office. She checked the time, it was 5.28pm. Just as she started switching off her computer, the intercom rang. Who could it be by this time on friday, she thought. Her husband and son would have called her mobile and not come to the office to tell her they were going home.

Nevertheless, she picked the receiver. "What is it?" She asked the secretary before she could say a word.
"There is a woman here to see you ma", she said, fear of how angry her call had made her boss loomed.
"Who?" Mrs Seriki asked in annoyance

The secretary turned to Madam ty, "what's your name?" She asked the intruder
"Tell her Adebimpe"
The secretary relayed the message to her boss and hung up.
"This way", she pointed at the door to Mrs Seriki's office.
Madam ty sighed, her persistence had paid off since 11am.

Mrs Seriki was almost visibly shaking when the door opened. She got up and helped herself to a can of beer.

"Good evening ma", madam ty greeted her with respect.
With all the courage she could muster, mrs seriki answered, "welcome and what do you want?"

Without mincing words, and obviously going against the agreed plan between her and Bolu, even she was surprised at what came out of her mouth. " I want my son".

The answer startled Mrs Seriki, but its effect was nothing compared to the paralytic shock that seized her when she looked up and saw the look of determination on the speaker's face. she was standing at the door, wearing a clean but well worn and washed iro and buba, made with cheap ankara fabric.

"I need my son", madam ty repeated softly.
Realising that Adebimpe sounded serious, mrs seriki closed her eyes and tried to deny who stood before her. Could this really be Adebimpe? Where could she have gotten the courage to confront her? How did she locate her? Mrs seriki thought.

"Why did you take my son?", madam ty asked with what seemed to be genuine curiosity. Her voice was level and controlled, as if the question was entirely normal.

Mrs Seriki could not speak for a full two minutes, her heart felt as if it had moved into her throat, each fierce beat almost choking her. Then as if jolted back to life by an unseen force, terror sharpened her senses. Afterall, she was still the powerful Mrs Seriki.

Cocking her head, leaning forward slightly but confidently, she looked at madam ty in a way that robbed the latter of all her mustered courage and said," adebimpe, you are insane. I housed you, clothed you and fed you for 2 years, is this how you pay me back with stupid allegation?" She stood up and held madam ty by the neck of her buba. "Who is feeding you this thrash?"

"I'm sorry ma", madam ty said with tears echoing in her voice. She had ruined it all, she thought. She could have followed her daughter's advice.

Just then, mrs seriki's mobile rang and she picked. It was Tobi, calling to inform her he was going home. She faced madam ty once again, "I know this situation is incredible, but if you'll just promise me you'll never come near me and my family again, I will let you go with a warning. Otherwise, I will lock you up and destroy your miserable life with lawsuits you can't afford"

By now, madam ty was a broken person. She was sobbing loudly, even as she opened her mouth to speak, no words came out. Where was her courage? This woman had successfully intimidated her as usual.

"If you value your free time with Bolu, you will leave right now", Mrs Seriki said, flaring up. She called her secretary on the intercom as madam ty opened the door with shaky hands. " Look at that dirty woman, never allow her anywhere near here again"
"Ok ma", the secretary said. Madam ty heard everything as it was meant for her ears. All hope lost, she stepped dejectedly out of mrs seriki's office, almost bumping into Tobi at the main entrance.

"Mummy Bolu, what are you doing here looking so sad?" Tobi asked madam ty.
"Nothing, my son. I was looking for Bolu"
"Here, by this time? Didn't you call her or Temi?" Tobi asked.
"I have to leave now." Madam ty rushed out, she could not bear to look at Tobi, the pain and confusion was mounting.
"Ok, bye ma" tobi shrugged his shoulder as he strolled into his mum's office.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 18, 2014

Waving down the first available danfo, madam ty got in without even listening to the destination the bus conductor was chanting. Luckily for her, it was challenge, her destination. Tears clouded her vision, she was confused. The first day she set her eyes on Tobi, she felt a kind of pull, she was drawn towards him as if by a magical pull.

Just yesterday, she had met Dr Mrs Smart after twenty five long but peaceful years. Their meeting yesterday had undoubtedly shattered the peace and calm she had built around her and her daughter.

"You remember you had twins?" Dr Smart had asked her, after they all settled down under a shade at total garden.

"Yes ma, and the other one..."

"Nothing happened to the other one, Adebimpe", Dr Smart said

Bolu and her mum were shocked. Standing up as if propelled by an unseen force, madam ty knelt on the floor and held Dr Smart's ankles. "Please ma, are you serious?"
Even Bolu was unable to keep her calm. "Who has him or her ma?" She threw her own question.

"Calm down, I will tell you." Dr Smart said.

Dr Smart urged the women to sit down and remain calm before she surprised them again with her next words, "he is Tobi Seriki"

Bolu was shocked beyond imagination. Her hands flew to her head in alarm. "Month gbe!" She screamed as if she had seen a ghost. "Tobi ke, mrs seriki's son?" She asked confused.

Surprisingly, madam ty was not too shocked at the identity. She was more concerned with how and when it all happened without her knowledge. The whole birth scene flashed before her eyes, but she was never unconcious through the delivery. She even held the twin she lost in her hands, he was without any breath. How come he is alive twenty five years later?

"Yes, the Tobi you see everyday", Dr Smart said.
Bolu summoned up courage to ask a question she had never succeeded in getting answer to from her mother
"Ma, do you know our father?"

"No my dear, Adebimpe should tell you that"

Madam ty was undoubtedly in shock. She picked her handbag and pulled her daughter's hand, leaving Dr Smart alone under the shade. "We have to leave this place now, I'm going for my son" she said as she pulled her daughter roughly.

"Won't you listen to the rest of the story?" Dr Smart shouted after them, but madam ty and her daughter were too far gone to hear or answer her.

Bolu was angry, sad and frustrated at the same time. What other secrets are they all keeping from her? She asked herself.
"Maami, you have to take things easy, that woman is dangerous. Besides, we can't just swallow Dr Smart's stories hook, line and sinker"

"The dream..." Madam ty said, oblivious of her daughter's ranting. "The two babies..."

"Are you ok?" Bolu asked as they made to cross the road to the bus stop.
"I have to confront that woman and get my son back" madam ty said to no one in particular. She was shaking in the taxi.

"Maami, that woman is powerfully connected. Besides, Dr Smart believes I'm dating Tobi and she wants him for her daughter. She might have made this story up to scare me away. I also heard the two women are now sworn enemies, so don't go to Mrs Seriki" bolu pleaded with her mum.

By the time they walked into their compound, she had promised her daughter she was going to wait it out and not rush to confront mrs Seriki.

She could not sleep through the night. By the following morning, she had hatched out her own plans without telling Bolu. She had told her she was going to Olodo to see baba ibadan, but instead faced 'the compass builders'. For hours, she hid behind cars and trees and the crowd. She saw her daughter come in and left the office at 2pm, then she walked into the reception area. She was not allowed to see Mrs Seriki until all the staff had left. Twice she saw Tobi enter the building, twice she lost her voice and had to hide from him.

"Iyana anfani", the bus conductor shouted for the benefit of the passengers dropping before challenge
"O wa o" a couple of passengers shouted at the top of their voices. The noise coming from the engine and the bus's worn out body was deafening, yet the driver still had the radio blasting at a rather high volume.

Madam ty became conscious of her environment and she pulled herself together. Her bus stop was the next.

She got off the bus and even bought a few things at the challenge road side market. Somehow, she felt better during the ride to challenge. Maybe her daughter was right and Dr Smart was setting them up, though she doubted that. As she was about climbing a bike to her house from challenge, the question Bolu asked Dr Smart began to haunt her. "Who is our father?" She had asked. A question she had never answered truthfully before. One real fear will not let her even answer in her mind.

As she pulled the pedestrian gate at home, she sighted Bolu and Ade under one of the fruits trees in the compound.

" Welcome ma", bolu greeted her mother as Ade collected the bag she carried.
"Thank you my son", madam ty said. Such humility, she thought as she looked at Ade.
"Where did you go, mum?" Bolu asked her mum.

For the first time, madam ty could not look at her daughter in the eye, "I went to Olodo"

"Hmmm...Tobi called just now", bolu said and watched her mother freeze.

"Let's go inside" madam ty said. She knew she had to come out with it all.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
ferderick:

Squeezed myself 2ru the crowd to the front row. Looked right and left and all seats are occupied. Gently sat on the floor with my legs crossed, sipping my alomo with a bowl of pop corn and waits patiently for 2mao's updateS.
You are highly welcome on board. Enjoy.
Re: THE WEB by CYclone1(f): 12:30pm On Oct 18, 2014
Unmasking the monster. Following keenly.
Re: THE WEB by Queenxstar(f): 1:25pm On Oct 18, 2014
This is a well told story ma'am.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
Queenxstar:
This is a well told story ma'am.
Wow! I feel honoured by your visit and comment.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
Nairaland Literature Awards Of The Year has begun and we need you to nominate the numerous writers that have been entertaining you..
And for you writers to vote your best readers....
Follow this link to know more
https://www.nairaland.com/1953789/nairaland-literature-awards-year
Re: THE WEB by Plaitex(f): 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2014
thanks for the update
Re: THE WEB by pricelesslove(f): 10:16pm On Oct 18, 2014
Weldon dear more strength
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 18, 2014
Wait.... Are you saying Tobi n Bolu are twins?.
If they are.... is there no physical resemblance?. They're suppose to recognise each other the first time they met na.
#am I missing something here?#

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (36) (Reply)

Call Of The Wind: THE GENESIS [Magic] / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / We Are Able(a Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.