Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

THE WEB - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE WEB (117058 Views)

The Africa Connected. Success Stories Powered By The Web Contest / ***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 07, 2014

The car sped off leaving passers by in a cloud of dust. Awa sat down and relaxed. Pat was behind the wheel and on the passenger seat sat Maya, looking like a complete gentleman. Underneath the passenger seat sat a pistol, ready incase she decides to misbehave.

They drove for like five minutes and made a u-turn, as if going back to the hotel, this time they linked the old gbagi road, leaving the express completely.

"Where are we going?" Awa shifted in her seat ans cowered away from the fierce looking guy sitting next to her.
"Keep quiet woman!" Damien shouted her down.

No matter how hard she looked, she couldn't tell where they were, all she knew was that they were still in Ibadan. In her 39 years on earth, she had never felt this stupid. Chief had not picked her call since he left on sunday and she had decided to trace him with his business card. Armed with the card, she stood by the hotel gate looking for a cab when a silver toyota highlander parked beside her and she showed the driver chief's card. Never one to miss an oportunity of spending time with 'big boys', she had hopped in happily.

Immediately she sat down, she noticed that there were three mean looking guys in the car. she decided to getdown but it was too late;she was locked in somehow.

"We've been waiting for you for hours", the guy sitting beside her said.
"Why?", awa asked fearfully
"Don't worry, you'll know why". The guy in the passenger seat said. There was silence after that.

About 30minutes later, they pulled up in front of a gate. Damien got down to open the gate and closed it after them. The house was a sizable bungalow with pink roses and blue agapanthus along the front, and a row of dwarf palm trees bothering the brick walkway. A white Ford explora with Lagos registration number sat in the driveway.

They didn't knock on the door. Somehow, the door opened as if they were expected. They lead her into a foyer. A marble centre table held a black vase full of white silk flowers. Behind it, there was a short flight of stairs made of polished wood. They asked awa to sit down on a single sofa in the waiting room and the guys disappeared inside the bungalow.

The sittingroom was dark and vaulted, shaded by heavy cream damask drapes and filled with gleaming furniture. She sat down with her hands on her laps, unconsciously twisting a stray wool at the hem of her pink cotton shirt. Her legs shook involuntarily and she was almost paralysed with fear. Where am I? She asked herself.

Left in that position for about 40minutes, a set of ceiling lights suddenly came on in the sittingroom, lightening the whole place. The drapes were still down, but she saw the elderly beautiful woman sitting on the couch beckon at her. Awa stood up and walked towards the woman with shaky legs.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 07, 2014

"Awawu!" The woman suddenly stood up and removed her glasses and wiped her face as if it would help her see clearly.
"Aunty", awa's hand flew to her mouth, eyes bulging in their sockets, surprised.
Mrs Helen Seriki moved closer to her. Looking radiant in her blue caftan. "Awa, don't tell me you are the idiot trying to share Bode with me"
"Well, if you say so, it's me" awa shifted clumsily on her legs, "ii didn't know she was your husband"

"How will you know? You relocated from Kabba without leaving any forward address. I go there to visit mama regularly, I never saw you there in almost 15 years!" Mrs Seriki said in frustration.
"Ok, so I met a rich man, happened to be my sister's husband..."
"I'm not your sister you idiot! I'm your mother, and this is an abomination"
"Well, I know you are my mother, but you insisted I call you aunty and that stuck". Awa said in her defense.
"When was the last time you saw mama?"
"I saw her 2 months ago."
"And your children?" Mrs Seriki asked, still fuming.
"One is with her dad in Jos the other is with hers in abuja" she said without any remorse.

One of the guys had been on Chief's tail from his house to Awa's hotel at Gbagi and from gbagi to Sabo on Sunday. Luckily for him, he knew the receptionist who showed him Awa when she came downstairs later that evening. Mrs Helen had instructed them to 'deal' with her and leave her in the bush at night. But at the last minute, she had called to bring the woman to her guest chalet at Akobo, she needed to see the face of evil.

"I learnt you are pregnant, Awawu" mrs Helen said.
"No, I'm not. I lied"

Mrs Seriki's mind flashed back to 39 years ago when she had birthed Awawu and cleaned herself up with the help of her friend Adeola. She was 17, Adeola was 16. She had concealed the pregnancy so well for 9 months, even though she lived with her mother. Her father had died earlier and she had learned to fend for herself at an early age.

She was never sure of the person she had Awa for, but she slept with more than 6 of the labourers on the road construction site. The two girls had wrapped the baby in a towel and dumped her on the dumpster near the only health center in Kabba then. She had later developed afterbirth complications and she had to confess to having a baby. Baby was retrieved and her mum took the baby. She still hated Awa for causing the complication that made it difficult for her to have a child for her husband.

"Awa, I want you to pick your phone now and tell chief you lied about being pregnant", Mrs Helen said.

"Ok". Awa reluctantly picked her phone and called chief. Chief was relieved with the Awa saga and promised to see her later. "Don't worry chief, forget about me, for life" she said sadly and hung up.
"Now what?" She asked her mother.
"Awa, you are 39 for crying out loud, stop behaving like 24 for a start" she advised.

Mrs Serriki wrote out a check for a huge sum of money and asked her to start something with it. They promised to stay in touch. Both women knew it was a lie. Mrs Seriki dropped Awa off at the airport and sighed with relief when she left, she never looked back. One problem solved.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 07, 2014
Tag:

Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Xtarxhyne
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

For you guys and the ghost readers I couldn't mention. Thanks for following
Re: THE WEB by princesssusan(f): 10:30am On Oct 07, 2014
One problem solved anoda problem will elope.
Weldone ma‘am
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 11:53am On Oct 07, 2014
Wow! Lyk mother lyk daughter! Candy We gat ur back... Nw Im beginning 2 undstand d story... Temi z chief son nd Bolu bro.. I guess datx d secret... Is dat ryt, Candy?
Re: THE WEB by pricelesslove(f): 12:15pm On Oct 07, 2014
nice update. more gress to ur elbow
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 12:32pm On Oct 07, 2014
Awa and mrs seriki eating from the same pot,nawa o
Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 3:10pm On Oct 07, 2014
Like mama like pikin
#weldone candy
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 07, 2014
Thank God she wasn't preggy ooo....dat one nah abomiCOUNTRY oooo.... grin.
What about Bolu and her mumsy nah??
Thanks for the update and tag girl...#still here#.
Re: THE WEB by aprilwise(m): 6:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
Wow nice story should i say drama? Candy weldone
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
princesssusan:
One problem solved anoda problem will elope.
Weldone ma‘am
Na so so problem o! Keep following my sister.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
aprilwise:
Wow nice story should i say drama? Candy weldone
Thanks man, watch as more drama unfolds.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 07, 2014
debdave:
Thank God she wasn't preggy ooo....dat one nah abomiCOUNTRY oooo.... grin.
What about Bolu and her mumsy nah??
Thanks for the update and tag girl...#still here#.
The one wey she don do gan na abomination. She don chop wetin mama dey chop! Thank God say no be him papa sef. Keep following my sister, more twists and turns.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
Eniqurl:
Like mama like pikin
#weldone candy
You can say that again! It runs in madam's fanily I guess. Keep following, more coming
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 07, 2014
seunviju:
Awa and mrs seriki eating from the same pot,nawa o
There is love in sharing...keep following my sister.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 07, 2014
Hameenat94:
Wow! Lyk mother lyk daughter! Candy We gat ur back... Nw Im beginning 2 undstand d story... Temi z chief son nd Bolu bro.. I guess datx d secret... Is dat ryt, Candy?
Who knows? Let's see o...thanks for following
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2014
candy:

Who knows? Let's see o...thanks for following
my pleasure dear nd tnx 4 giving us updates
Re: THE WEB by okotv(m): 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2014
there is love in sharing....like mother like daughter ....more please
Re: THE WEB by princesssusan(f): 10:27pm On Oct 07, 2014
candy:

Na so so problem o! Keep following my sister.
Oh yes
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:46pm On Oct 08, 2014

Dr Adeola Smart tossed and turned on her empty bed. Twenty five years of guilt. Bolu's number starred up at her from the sheaf of paper. It wasn't going to be easy, she thought. She quickly dialed the number from her phone and hung up before Bolu picked.

It was 2p.m and she had briefly shown up at the clinic to do a CS on a woman with prolonged labour. She drove back home around 1p.m. Standing up on her feet, mind made up, she changed into a pair of linen pants and shirt, picked her muffler and threw it around her neck. Without saying a word to her maid, she rushed out of the house, driving herself. She has been doing a lot of that lately.

She drove down to Ring road like a maniac, some motorists cautioned her, others yapped her, most just shook their heads and pitied the elderly driver. In 30 minutes, she was parked in a side street around Phcn office at ringroad. She would have loved to park and grab a snacks at KFc but it was too close to 'the compass builders' headoffice and she didn't want to risk being spotted by her friend.

She picked her phone and dialed bolu's number again. She picked on the first ring.
"Hello" she said into the phone
"Hello, Adeola Smart on the line"
The name didn't ring a bell because she didn't include Dr. Bolu was very familiar with Dr Adeola Smart. Then it struck her. Amber's mum calling. I'm in trouble again, she thought.
Dr Adeola sensed her fear, even though she couldn't see her.

"I'll like to see you for something very important" she said.
"I'm busy ma, I'm so sorry" bolu answered, still obviously shaken.
"I can wait" Dr Adeola said, "I'm close to your office"
Silence, then she dropped the line. Bolu had tried avoiding the Smarts and Mrs Seriki.

She quickly picked her phone and dialed Ade's number, then she remembered he was in Lagos. She dialed Temi's number.
"Temi, abeg come to my office"
"Why na?" Temi asked jokingly, "I'm so busy doing nothing".

She was doing her primary assignment at Mapo hall and she never stopped wondering why they needed any corper there. She never even had a desk to her name, never held a file since she got there 7 months ago. She spent most of her time with Bolu and they usually just went home together at the close of work.

Dr Smart dialed Bolu's number over and over again but she never picked. She waited till the staff started coming out at 4pm. Then she spotted Bolu, walking hand in hand with another lady. She reversed the car into the main road, going to turn down the street was going to take too long. She caught up with the girls and parked beside them.

She rolled down on the passenger side. "Bolu" she called.
Unable to avoid her any longer and thanking her star she had Temi with her, she stopped." Good afternoon ma"
"Can we talk? It's about your mum, Adebimpe" Dr Smart said.

Nobody called her mum Adebimpe except baba ibadan and grandma. She was even more scared.
"Adebimpe?" She asked sheepishly
"Yes, she lived with my friend, Helen in Lagos back then", Dr Smart said, smiling fondly.

She never heard that from her mother. "Ok, but my mum is not in town" she said defensively and made to start going. Temi waited impatiently about three feet from the car. "I really can't discuss my mother now, we'll be late for fellowship" she said and left immediately.

Dr Smart drove after them for a few minutes, then they crossed the road and disappeared among the teeming pedestrians. She gave up for the day but her conscience won't let her give up on the mission.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 08, 2014

When Dr Adeola Smart finally parked her car in the garage that evening, the only person around was her maid. Senator Smart had traveled the previous week to US to attend to business and see their daughters.

"Welcome ma", the maid greeted with her knees touching the ground.
"How are you?"
"Fine ma" she said and made to collect her bag, but Dr Smart waved her off.
"You can go to your room, I'll not be needing you again tonight". Dr Smart discharged her with a wave of her fingers and climbed the stairs to her room without even looking at the set dining table.

She slammed the door behind her and changed out of her clothes. Normally, she coped with enervation and mental fatigue by putting some miles on her running shoes, and she reached almost automatically for her sweats, but then stopped herself. It was too late to go jugging on the street. Besides, there was little normal about the bone weariness she was experiencing now.

At last, feeling guilty about her role in the whole saga, she changed instead into some baggy cotton pant and a black tank top. Catching sight of herself in the mirror on the closet door, she brushed a wisp of hair off her forehead and tried to smooth away the darkness under her eyes.

Sighing, she went barefoot to the bathroom and ran hot water over a washcloth and pressed it to her face. She then made the few steps back to her bedroom and all but collapsed on her king sized bed, knocked down from the rigors of the day. She lay flat on her back, awake but nearly unconscious, her chest slowly rising and falling, the washcloth folded over her eyes.

Her meeting with Bolu had been grueling and frustrating, which she would have gladly endured had it been effective as well. But it had not been, it had been a disaster. She had known she had to get to Adebimpe somehow as she could no longer live with the guilt and burden of the secret that was bent on destroying her. She had searched her heart several times to be sure of her real motive for doing this and happily, she had on every occasion realised it had nothing to do with revenge or hatred for her childhood friend but a feeling of guilt for being part of such a deep cover-up.

In a way, she felt very happy that her anonymous sms to chief Bode Seriki had not been effective. Attempting to go through her friend's husband was a mistake she had regretted ever after, but more and more she had become convinced that the truth must come out.

So, her meeting with Bolu, trying to get her to arrange a meeting with her and her mother, Adebimpe had begun this afternoon and though unsuccessful today, she planned to do better on her subsequent visits.

If only she had been patient enough to learn her home address from the hired goons her daughter sent after her earlier. In her rage, she had arrested the duo and left them behind bars for two weeks when they kept disturbing Amber's phone with their incessant calls for balance of their money.

There had been no charges and they were eventually freed after signing an undertaken that they will never bother the Smarts again. Now she needed Bolu's home address, she couldn't stand the risk of being seen around 'The Compass' office by Mrs Seriki. Tomorrow is another day, she thought.

The thought of it all and the damage she and her friend had done to the innocent woman's life made her sick. She put her hands to the washcloth and pressed the now cool cloth down her eyes.

3 Likes

Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 3:22pm On Oct 08, 2014
Interesting! Kip it up dear.. Dr Adeola 4got abt conscience wen she nd her frnd were desperate thereby ruining Adebimpe's lyf...
Re: THE WEB by CYclone1(f): 5:11pm On Oct 08, 2014
Getting more interesting here. Good job, weldone.
Re: THE WEB by ruffhandu: 5:09am On Oct 09, 2014
candy:

In a way, she felt very happy that her anonymous sms to chief Bode Seriki had not been effective. Attempting to go through her husband's friend was a mistake she had regretted ever after, but more and more she had become convinced that the truth must come out..

Hello Candy/Sweet,
Commendations! Is the bolded a typo?
Keep it up, you are not doing badly at all.
Re: THE WEB by tescoleps(f): 6:44am On Oct 09, 2014
ruffhandu:

Hello Candy/Sweet,
I think it is. Her 'friend's husband' is d correct one. Me sef no notice d typo coz d story just dey sweet me for bodi. Ride on Candy, we dey ur back gidigba. Lovely morning to u all.
Re: THE WEB by ruffhandu: 7:57am On Oct 09, 2014
tescoleps:

I think it is. Her 'friend's husband' is d correct one. Me sef no notice d typo coz d story just dey sweet me for bodi. Ride on Candy, we dey ur back gidigba. Lovely morning to u all.

Gud morning dearie.
Me think it is as u have stated too, unless if Sweet has a can of worm she wants to open from there.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 09, 2014
ruffhandu:

Hello Candy/Sweet,

Oops, my bad! Thanks a million times. It's 'Her friend's husband' not 'her husband's friend'. I appreciate.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 09, 2014
tescoleps:

Thanks, I know I can count on you.
Re: THE WEB by ruffhandu: 10:32am On Oct 09, 2014
candy:

Thanks, I know I can count on you.

Good job. If you may, please modify it.
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2014
Huh huh,keep up with the good work
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
Cool update as usual. Welldone Candy...
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 09, 2014
ruffhandu:

Good job. If you may, please modify it.
Done, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Call Of The Wind: THE GENESIS [Magic] / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / We Are Able(a Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.