Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,008 members, 7,838,527 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding - Romance (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding (65311 Views)

TEN Types Of Men Who Will Cheat On You No Matter What [must Read For Ladies] / Single Brothers Need To Stop Shying Away!!! We Single Ladies Wouldnt Bite.. / Tell Us How To Stop Shying Away From Girls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
Mondisweets:

Let me put it this way, a will is a document that expresses the will of a person pertaining to the distribution or allocation of his property upon his death right?

This will can be revoked at any point by the testator without the knowledge of his wife or family members or heirs thereof. That is he can replace his will with a new one without the knowledge of his spouse, family members and other heirs.

If the testator revokes a will that his wife or family members had knowledge of and replaces it. if a clause in the (new) final will unfairly favours one heir over another, customary law principles cannot be challenged that particular clause. But if the marriage is according to civil law and a will is drawn up and the will turns out to unfairly favours one heir over another, that particular clause can be challenged because the common law principle of the law of succession will apply in this particular case.

A will is a good thing but people can never determine the outcome until the deceased's estate is ready for distribution. Where as if you are marriage according to civil right from the beginning of the marriage you will know the outcome of what may happen in case one spouse (husband or wife) dies or when the dissolve the marriage by means of a divorce. Where there is only a customary marriage, the outcome can never be determined until the will is read. This creates a lot of uncertainties and complications.

You can never know the final will of your spouse until its read after his/her death, because he/ she can change the contents of the will you intially knew about without your knowledge.

well said , No document surpasses a will in any marriage ... as long as the trust is there ... if you dont trust your spouse's will , then you should never be too sure he acquired properties in his name , he may have done that in the name of his extended family members .... you might be thinking as long as you got the certificate , its an assurance ..... it is best to know what your spouse is upto.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 6:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
Blebleswag:

Sorry I dnt get u
All I said is if she is evil and she don't want the marriage
she need the certificate to file devoice to get half of the man property
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 6:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
Now man need prenuptial and a will
If u have asset before u marry
if u have a certificate
What will a certificate do for u , if u are not in the will?
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoodFaith:

Dats it! because they ve evil tot in their mind dats y they re askin 4 'solid certificate,' n dats nt compulsory.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoodFaith:

Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 06, 2014
Blebleswag:

Dats it! because they ve evil tot in their mind dats y they re askin 4 'solid certificate,' n dats nt compulsory.
not evil thought per say ... it may be needed for some official reasons ... any lady who thinks the court marriage automatatically gives her a right to the man's property after divorce or death is just decieving herself . if the court marriaages actually does that in Nigeria , the women complaining of abusive relationships would not be complaining because they would be having a swell time with their new lovers . some women even wish to walk away but they cannot beause the marriage cannot be dissolved. the court divorce process costs money and your chances of winning so so so so slim. in the case of death , it is best you and your spouse have a will because you both may die at the same time ... this may then cause problems between your kids or between them and your inlaws....go with whatever pleases you not a compulsory court marriage.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Mclick(m): 7:08pm On Oct 06, 2014
GooseBaba:

Bros, love dey sour na..? Make love take back seat...marriage is a contract... Everyone needs to understand that..
contract, some of them makes it look like that sha, Lol do you mean that's what the lady imply by her post
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by MadCow1: 7:14pm On Oct 06, 2014
webdezzi:

While i so support your view and advise, Irresponsible men will always be irresponsible, whether court or no court.
The key is looking beyond the physical attributes e.g, handsomeness, wealth, height etc
instead focus on just one thing; How he treats those closest to him especially what he says about his closest friends behind them

This will give you a clearer picture of what to expect when you become his closest friend.
I will cast my vote for a court wedding any day as this ensures you have some reserve cash to travel to paris or dubai on honeymoon.
rather than spend over a million naira feeding some people, half of whom you don't even know. cool

[b]You can never know a person fully.. Stop this old wives tale..

Even your mama get some things wey she no fit swear for you... grin

A court marriage is simply to even the playing field. So tomorrow you can't kick her out after over 25 years together with her kids and leave her helpless. After all, many people have talked about people changing.

A Nigerian woman who enters into a marriage without the backing of the federal marriage license is like an Engineer that is working in a potentially hazardous environment without the proper PPE.. Yes, many traditional marriages have run their course well.. My grandma had only a traditional certificate and her marriage was long and fruitful though she was married at age 14.. grin But I have uncles that have kicked out their wives of many years (mostly when the pepper ripens) together with their kids and left to fend for themselves.. Maybe if they had a federal marriage license, they would have been able to legally nullify the new marriages by their husbands, get court ordered child upkeep allowances, even spouse maintenance allowance and also a house over her head..

All you men, remember you have sisters who would become someone's wife o.. Ask for me, none of my children would even do trad without first going to court.. angry/b]
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 06, 2014
MadCow1:

A court marriage is simply to even the playing field. So tomorrow you can't kick her out after over 25 years together with her kids and leave her helpless. After all, many people have talked about people changing.

A Nigerian woman who enters into a marriage without the backing of the federal marriage license is like an Engineer that is working in a potentially hazardous environment without the proper PPE.. Yes, many traditional marriages have run their course well.. My grandma had only a traditional certificate and her marriage was long and fruitful though she was married at age 14.. grin But I have uncles that have kicked out their wives of many years (mostly when the pepper ripens) together with their kids and left to fend for themselves.. Maybe if they had a federal marriage license, they would have been able to legally nullify the new marriages by their husbands, get court ordered child upkeep allowances, even spouse maintenance allowance and also a house over her head..

All you men, remember you have sisters who would become someone's wife o.. Ask for me, none of my children would even do trad without first going to court.. angry/b]
bros , my only question is in this Nigeria majority of us are living in now, how many men have been charged to court for bigamy .... abi all these sugar daddies no do court marriage . some men even pack their stuffs and leave the house ? what do we call that ? is it not better for a woman to make proper use of the opportunity to gather enough while the man still dey than to wait for him to go? she may want to go freely tomorrow and her husband may not allow her. we are only looking at it from the angle of the man being successful ... go ask well to do women married to men of lower class if they are ok with this kind of marriage?
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 7:40pm On Oct 06, 2014
MadCow1:

End of relationship is not the end of the world
Any woman that support U in ur marriage u must support that woman
U must not forget the past where both of u started from" likely without nothing"
Men have sisters and daughters
All the women that want to chop u die have brothers and sons too
it is a two way street
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Ubijus1(m): 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
Sweetlemon:

You no get wahala nau. You are fully married.

Thank God you understand what I mean by document. Please help me explain to them.
op, are you a counsel?
You need to understand that most people here won't understand the essence of marriage documents bc of their ignorance of the law.[no insult meant]

The Op meant that the court won't give effect to ur supposed marriage if it's nt done in a legally recognised form.
It would then strike u 2 knw that there is no such thing as 'church marriage' under our law.
Btw, court marriage won't cost u more than 11k as it mostly excludes much spending on meriment.

No one is prayin 4 ur marriage 2 brk dwn but should such happen, valid marriage documents will, atleast, help in getting u a deserved justice.

I'm resisting the temptation to assert that some men are daft.
So, u guys can only see it 4rm ur angle? What if ur wife is richer than u or u both built an empire 2geda, how then would you even get a pin if u weren't legally married?
Pls, let's nt let our culture blindfold us. Yes, we have a culture but knw it that the law, at most times- as in instant case, is at variance with custom/culture/tradition.
Importantly, the court will give effect to the law and invalidate any custom that is inconsistent with any written law.
Pls, make sure u contract a legally valid marriage for your good interest.
Lastly, know it that marriage is a contract!
Now, since the law treats invalid contracts as though they neva existed, would u go into an invalid marriage?

Dnt be fast to rebuke me, i'm talking from the legal angle as every action you take has legal implication.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by ademi87(m): 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
undecidedr u 4gettin d fact dat I worked for my money to take care of my family nd fwens not to squander on a day wedding dat ll fade away after few days, u wnt white wedding? Bring 20million bliv me any guy ll be api to walk u down d isle
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 7:53pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ubijus1:
op, are you a counsel?
You need to understand that most people here won't understand the essence of marriage documents bc of their ignorance of the law.[no insult meant]

The Op meant that the court won't give effect to ur supposed marriage if it's nt done in a legally recognised form.
It would then strike u 2 knw that there is no such thing as 'church marriage' under our law.
Btw, court marriage won't cost u more than 11k as it mostly excludes much spending on meriment.

No one is prayin 4 ur marriage 2 brk dwn but should such happen, valid marriage documents will, atleast, help in getting u a deserved justice.

I'm resisting the temptation to assert that some men are daft.
So, u guys can only see it 4rm ur angle? What if ur wife is richer than u or u both built an empire 2geda, how then would you even get a pin if u weren't legally married?
Pls, let's nt let our culture blindfold us. Yes, we have a culture but knw it that the law, at most times- as in instant case, is at variance with custom/culture/tradition.
Importantly, the court will give effect to the law and invalidate any custom that is inconsistent with any written law.
Pls, make sure u contract a legally valid marriage for your good interest.
Lastly, know it that marriage is a contract!
Now, since the law treats invalid contracts as though they neva existed, would u go into an invalid marriage?

Dnt be fast to rebuke me, i'm talking from the legal angle as every action you take has legal implication.
It was an insult
why ?
some people here have better education than u
"You need to understand that most people here won't understand the essence of marriage documents bc of their ignorance of the law.[no insult meant]"
" i'm talking from the legal angle as every action you take has legal implication."------ A will and prenuptial will still make the certificate useless paper
I am talking from a protected zeno
The thing in life is we need to be good to each other
we work together and we eat together
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Ubijus1(m): 8:00pm On Oct 06, 2014
When ur husband or wife is legally married 2 u, he/she 'cnt' contract another marriage without divorcing you. However, he/she just cnt wake up nd divorce u for no proved just cause.
Customary law empowering traditional marriage, in most places, grants no right to succession/inheritance.
Now i understand why a proffesor of history could be rightly termed an ignorant in law.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 8:03pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ubijus1:
When ur husband or wife is legally married 2 u, he/she 'cnt' contract another marriage without divorcing you. However, he/she just cnt wake up nd divorce u for no proved just cause.
Customary law empowering traditional marriage, in most places, grants no right to succession/inheritance.
Now i understand why a proffesor of history could be rightly termed an ignorant in law.
A will grant right to succession/inheritance.
Prenuptial exclude u from taking over No 50/50 (might)
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Ubijus1(m): 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoodFaith:

It was an insult
why ?
some people here have better education than u
"You need to understand that most people here won't understand the essence of marriage documents bc of their ignorance of the law.[no insult meant]"
" i'm talking from the legal angle as every action you take has legal implication."------ A will and prenuptial will still make the certificate useless paper
I am talking from a protected zeno
The thing in life is we need to be good to each other
we work together and we eat together
good try!
Marriage documents are meant to protect ur marriage while it lasts.
In the case of will,
what if ur he/she dies intestate?
Even at that, a will cn only be executed to favour u as a husband/wife when u had a valid marriage.
Eg,
if the will says,
'i gv so so property to my husband upon my demise'
how on earth would u have a valid title to the said property if u weren't legally married?
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ubijus1:
good try!
Marriage documents are meant to protect ur marriage while it lasts.
In the case of will,
what if ur he/she dies intestate?
Even at that, a will cn only be executed to favour u as a husband/wife when u had a valid marriage.
Eg,
if the will says,
'i gv so so property to my husband upon my demise'
how on earth would u have a valid title to the said property if u weren't legally married?
Let me break this down
property that are will are protected by law
If my name is on that property and I owe that property before marriage
U have to show that the person that will the properties sold it before his death
U can not take ownership of property because u are the wife
I bought a property that was foreclosed by the bank right
There was a car in the garage, full paid
Who did u think now that car?
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by elvis07: 8:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
All this greed nd focus on wat i get or dnt get is wat makes pple get wise. Shine ur eyes
majekdom2:
this is where some of these ladies make mistakes .... thats why you see men acquring properties solely in their name or names of their children these days ... I said a will and a lady here is saying a will is not a very good idea ..... what is not a good idea there when you will be writing it with him ..... ill motives! she takes the properties and then her own family can come share..... while her inlaws are the golddiggers.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoodFaith:

Let me break this down
U have to show that the person that will the properties sold it before his death
if it is the case of being recongnised the customary law recognises you as a spouse once a customary certificate is issued.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by nnamxxx(m): 8:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
Blebleswag:
Buh traditional marriage is d most important. Must u wear white gown?

U dey mind them? Person wey no no culture go just come here come dey write rubbish. When did white wedding became our culture?
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Ubijus1(m): 8:37pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoodFaith:

Let me break this down
relate it to marriage and spouses. Dnt derail.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Fourwinds: 8:42pm On Oct 06, 2014
Rival:

It’s annoying when some ladies hang the idea, that one useless document is what makes a marriage, on their mental beam and weigh it above every other thing to make the marriage work!
To such ladies, it’s all about security, their personal well-being and nothing else; they care next to nothing about the success of the marriage but the comfort around the man!

Any lady that insists on legal documents to back her marriage should be closely monitored! More than likely she’s materialistic and has her priority on the man’s wealth and a potentially dangerous lady!
Many of such ladies that make legal documents their priority in a marriage don’t see their husbands beyond their (husband) wealth!

What happened to marriage based on love and mutual interest?
If the man doesn’t love you, would the document make him love you or treat you better?
Would your taking him to court make him love you or change his feelings about you?

A lady’s concern in a marriage should be towards building a happy home and not about acquiring some useless documents that have no influence on how a man feels about her!
Give him reasons to love you and make him believe that he made the right choice marrying you!
You don’t need a document to show that you’re a married woman or that he's your husband!
which is in comparison seeking d kingdom of God and every order thing will be added
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ubijus1:
relate it to marriage and spouses. Dnt derail.
The will exclude her for the inheritance
she will have to go to court to fight to get any things
There was a case of a billion that was marriage this lady
The lady fought the son for share of the property
Guess what she didn't get any thing
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Fourwinds: 8:53pm On Oct 06, 2014
ademi87:
undecidedr u 4gettin d fact dat I worked for my money to take care of my family nd fwens not to squander on a day wedding dat ll fade away after few days, u wnt white wedding? Bring 20million bliv me any guy ll be api to walk u down d isle
ask d girls to contribute to d wedding., u will be surprise to hear them grumbling but dey expect u to spend a hell of money. just imagine a day thing.!! haba female being.!!!

1 Like

Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by PrettyClare7(f): 8:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
slimmy05:
You're a daft. Look at this juvenile still struggling with sec sch grade.
hahahahahaha.... It is only the ignorant that resort to insult when they fail to make points.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by PrettyClare7(f): 8:56pm On Oct 06, 2014
majekdom2:
the certificate is in case .... but what gain will the certificate bring if you and your kids are not included in his will .... there are more to look into in a marriage than certificate
there are more,but the certificate should not be over-looked
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
2sExy1:
ma'am, it is relative. Neither will church or court determine a solid marriage.

It does not matter how/where the marriage is conducted; what matter most is the
love that will keep them.

White wedding/court marriage isn't our custom, but traditional marriage is. We have sold
our rights to the whites, which is what has almost given them the temerity to impose gay/lesbanism
on us.

How about you turn the table around and ask them to wed in your own custom,huh?

In case you never knew, 2 Italians has broken the record when they wedded in the igbo tradition
a few months back. so, you see?

Edit
100 likes and counting. Dies... Wake... Dies... Wake up... Dies...

And first to comment? Vex... Tears shirt, remove trouser... Remove boxers... Begin catwalk '

grin grin

So even u at ur age is still doing this childish act? What is so interesting abt commenting first? I am disappointed in u big time.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by PrettyClare7(f): 9:01pm On Oct 06, 2014
Blebleswag:

Nawa! So performing a traditional marriage is not a solid evidence dat u re married? So until we copy d foregn style, 1st kwano?

I repeat: traditional marriage is d most important n must b done 1st, any other kinds re an alternatives.

Solid evidence kon, solid evidence ni.
if u marry the traditional way it is your choice,you can get a certificate without a church wedding,but i am sure presenting a certificate will be better than bringing elders to swear that your married when it is required.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by PrettyClare7(f): 9:09pm On Oct 06, 2014
majekdom2:
if you want to make your marriage work you dont have to force a man who is skeptical about court marrige do it ... people have different opinions as to this . some men respect their tradition more ... you may say its the latest trend to go for a court wedding , but some men still believe tradition got them to where they are ..... and are never ready for it .
my dear this is the era where you shine your eyes,to prevent people from reaping where they did not sow. Especialy where a man dies intestate.
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 9:14pm On Oct 06, 2014
PrettyClare7:
my dear this is the era where you shine your eyes,to prevent people from reaping where they did not sow. Especialy where a man dies intestate.
Yes agreed
"shine your eyes,to prevent people from reaping where they did not sow."
what about a woman that did not work for stuff
That think she might have access because she have kids for U
But are u trying to kill somebody in intestate.? God forbid oh
Back to sent of all evil
Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 06, 2014
PrettyClare7:
hmmm , I understand what you mean ... in that case you should be ready to soak garri with a young man who is outhere searching because a man who is well to do and who is just looking for a woman to raise kids would also conclude the wife wants to reap where she did not sow.

1 Like

Re: The Growing Trend Of Men Shying Away From Court or White Wedding by GoodFaith: 9:25pm On Oct 06, 2014
majekdom2:
hmmm , I understand what you mean ... in that case you should be ready to soak garri with a young man who is outhere searching because a man who is well to do and who is just looking for a woman to raise kids would also conclude the wife wants to reap where she did not sow.
Are there man like----"a man who is well to do and who is just looking for a woman to raise kids would also conclude the wife wants to reap where she did not sow "
Or people have f up mentality

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Young Ladies In Towels Storm Studio For Photoshoot / Pre-Wedding Pictures Of A Nigerian Groom And His Korean Bride / Amanda And Kingsley's Gym Pre-wedding Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.