Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition - Romance (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition (37062 Views)

Ways To Know Your Boyfriend Has No Future Ambition / Is Prior Behavior Is A Good Predictor Of Future Behavior? / Nigerian Women And Their Abundance Of Future Ambition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by jpphilips(m): 12:34am On Sep 25, 2014
bukatyne:

The problem is not marrying out of school or marrying young; we have Omotola a very typical example close to us (she married at 18)

The problem is forsaking your dreams (if you have) because of marriage or seeing marriage as a means to an end. She is saying you can be a mother, wife, grandma sef and still shake your world or do something fulfilling.

I think people miss it because they equate career & dreams into becoming a bank manager

Our dear Seun is an entrepreneur and I doubt he has a corporate office. He doesnot have to wear a suit daily to the office either.

we have people doing well in fashion, cobbling, dress making, production of stuffs, doing well in their various occupations etc.

@ Grandma in fifties, I doubt the marry in school part grin

My mum will be a grandma in her early fifties and she married out of school (But again, we both married early)

You obviously didn't read her post.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by jpphilips(m): 12:53am On Sep 25, 2014
dotmanz: Men can be funny..

We want to settle with decent and beautiful girl,
At the same time, we want to be attributed with a well ambitious woman with all the degrees..
But does it actually occur to us what a lot of ladies holding a prestigious position in the society has been through?
Do we take our time to check possibilities of some rapid achievements that sets our women on that pace?
The same achievement that took a man over 6 years to achieve, a pretty lady would appear from no where and knock it silly in lightening speed.. Hahahaha..
My good friends, we really have a complicated situations at hand
If only one of those ladies we admire so desperately due to their position and achvmnets can give a sincere accounts of what they went through in terms of sexual abuses and molestation, and sometimes voluntary acts of immorality and blunder, we would know convincingly that they are of no good but cursed.

A lady confessed to have allowed a man abused her sexually just for promotion. Infact, she allowed him used objects on her just for the man to hear her *morn and scream out of her se*xual appealing pretty face of a goddess. She eventually got promoted, and that's the definition for our supposed ambitious women.

Come to the level of our University ladies, it is easier for them to pass any course than answering phone calls..
It is so bad that the ugly situation celebrates itself, it happens from time to time even at employment level, a man can afford to deny his company of a first class graduate than let a pretty but incompetent woman slip through his bosom.

This pose a huge disparity in considering the appropriate candidate for marriage. We have pretty, eloquent, matured but morally rottened, ambitious, 2.1 grade degree holders in our society.

On the other hand, we have ladies with little or average education, well reserved, not eloquent, perceived to be less ambitious, morally upright with fear of God in all they do..

The choice is ours. But only the men of wisdom know which is best for them.

Let's go back to the bases and retrace our steps..

It doesn't hide when men with experience speak
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bukatyne(f): 10:01am On Sep 25, 2014
jpphilips:

You obviously didn't read her post.

And you did? undecided

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by yodiyokun(f): 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
This is a conflict that every woman has to settle in her heart.

After 11 years of marriage, birth of two kids, 18 years in the financial industry both home and abroad, I can say that I am yet to resolve this conflict.

Its a conflict I have to deal with everyday, a conflict of purpose. Even if you didn't start out chasing marriage to become a "leech", things may change along the way.

I was focused on my banking career for the first five years of working post-university. Then, I decided to find a husband and settle down because I realized that I didn't want to spend my life alone but not because I wanted to become someone's baby factory. I wanted a partner both intellectually, spiritually and morally.

However, after my children started school I realized that I want to be there for them. I want to help them with homework, spend productive time with them, to shape their world and pass on my values. It's very challenging to accomplish this in a country where you don't have family support or network and where there are conflicting values everywhere. If I had my way financially right now - I would choose to be a stay at home mom at least till my kids turn 16. I actually envy those women that can do this - it is admirable.

I have the potential to advance in my career, to pursue challenging opportunities, but right now I choose not to do so because it'll affect my family's welfare. I'll have to spend more time at work and less at home.
So since mid last year I have scaled back. Now, I try to leave the office on time everyday and no longer take work home. Why you ask - because my kids are getting older, they have more challenging homework, they need more assistance, they want more variety in their lunch bags, they want home made cookies and sweets. They want me to be a volunteer at their school. They want me to be present in their lives every day of the week not only on weekends.

As much as I'd like to return to school for a Msc., start a business, do much more with my abilities and self, I really do have to choose which is more important to me right now.

I have come to realize that women can have it all - but just not all things at the same time. Also, because of your family situtaion you many need to adjust your dreams.

So do not judge someone that decides to stay at home because you really do not know what going on in her home.

Also remember that staying at home doesn't mean that you are not contributing to the family - you may very well be the thread that binds the home together.

7 Likes

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Nobody: 3:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
yodiyokun: This is a conflict that every woman has to settle in her heart.

After 11 years of marriage, birth of two kids, 18 years in the financial industry both home and abroad, I can say that I am yet to resolve this conflict.

Its a conflict I have to deal with everyday, a conflict of purpose. Even if you didn't start out chasing marriage to become a "leech", things may change along the way.

I was focused on my banking career for the first five years of working post-university. Then, I decided to find a husband and settle down because I realized that I didn't want to spend my life alone but not because I wanted to become someone's baby factory. I wanted a partner both intellectually, spiritually and morally.

However, after my children started school I realized that I want to be there for them. I want to help them with homework, spend productive time with them, to shape their world and pass on my values. It's very challenging to accomplish this in a country where you don't have family support or network and where there are conflicting values everywhere. If I had my way financially right now - I would choose to be a stay at home mom at least till my kids turn 16. I actually envy those women that can do this - it is admirable.

I have the potential to advance in my career, to pursue challenging opportunities, but right now I choose not to do so because it'll affect my family's welfare. I'll have to spend more time at work and less at home.
So since mid last year I have scaled back. Now, I try to leave the office on time everyday and no longer take work home. Why you ask - because my kids are getting older, they have more challenging homework, they need more assistance, they want more variety in their lunch bags, they want home made cookies and sweets. They want me to be a volunteer at their school. They want me to be present in their lives every day of the week not only on weekends.

As much as I'd like to return to school for a Msc., start a business, do much more with my abilities and self, I really do have to choose which is more important to me right now.

I have come to realize that women can have it all - but just not all things at the same time. Also, because of your family situtaion you many need to adjust your dreams.

So do not judge someone that decides to stay at home because you really do not know what going on in her home.

Also remember that staying at home doesn't mean that you are not contributing to the family - you may very well be the thread that binds the home together.

Word.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by zubis05: 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
Contumely:
And why did something die in you. Was that answer impolitic or shallow? What would you have had her say?
I think you are unduly smug.
sir, I don't think I'm a smug. Whether duly or unduly. I haven't achieved anything I can point to and say this is what's making me proud. What would I have had her say? I'll refer you to my earlier post,there is a part I talked about what I was expecting her to say. Have a nice weekend ahead sir..

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by clem305D(m): 9:31pm On Sep 27, 2014
thats a case of one mans meat being another mans poison...but believe me, in this jet age, house wife system does not work...sidon look na dog name remember...that mean you may be married to a dog...you dont want that do you?
mnairaland:

Believe me.I'll rather live d rest of my life with a sitdown-chop wife dn live for a second wt an equality woman.But thats just me.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by finditng: 8:19am On Sep 28, 2014
safarigirl: this has to do with the insecurities of the Nigerian man. He happens to be a confused fellow who doesn't know what he wants between a dependent and an independent woman. They curse you out for being a leech and curse you out for being better than men. What a Nigerian man really wants is a woman who has aspirations, but not any higher than theirs. It's okay to want to be somebody, but make sure the spotlight remains on the man of the house

Bloody lie....doesn't cut accross all......trust me most are just lazy and their priority is fun fun fun while in schl and den marry a rich guy afterwards. Was datn an underrgrad and she always complained abt nt hvn enuf money and being weighed down...decided to set up abuiz for her just for her to monitor and manage on-line...delivery, online payments, payment on delivery, everything, I set it all up...even up to buiz card....all she had to do was verify market prices for the goods so we decide on the pricing online( I already checked these prices on my own before importation)....three months now, she hasn't checked nada...but has attended at least 20 parties....lol..I just gave the entire thn out to another lady yesterday.....and just told myself she aint the one I wanna build a life with..morale: they really are lazy....even if you did all for them, spoon feed them in the line of financial liberation as indidviduals....they won't do d only lil thn the should; swallow......and decide to grow.....smh...wht a lost generation of ladies( large percentile)

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Okeycima: 9:29am On Oct 02, 2014
@ Op why won't their mind set b like dat when they belive life to b as it is portaryed in the NOLLYWOOD HOME VIDEO,where they belive what is been is how it is in real life.DO u that mind set started after marriage?.NO,it is a mindset developed during friendship and dating period,their belive that they r entittled to Get money 4 upkeep,hair,change of wordrope etc.and when it has been working 4 them courtesy of some foolish guys.u see them demand such in marriage without knowing or having it in mind dat friendship and relationship is a 2 way stuff.I CONTINUE TELLING MA FRIENDS THAT AS WE HAVE SELF MADE IN MALE CATEGORY THAT ALSO HOW IT SUrPOSE TO BE IN FEMALES.becos we a girl or a lady take care of 90% need she will b listened to when she tell her man about a problem she is facing,she will also b respected and she will have much power to DICTATE where the relationship will b heading,but my female friends don't agree with me.LAST BULLET-if am in a relationship i apply mosaic law and i equally see it as contract.becos they don't want to reasonable.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by fuckerholic(m): 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
Safarigirl am already dying for you
Pls I want to marry you
How may we see
Am seriouse
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by safarigirl(f): 6:49am On Dec 18, 2014
fuckerholic:
Safarigirl am already dying for you
Pls I want to marry you
How may we see
Am seriouse
hian! This your name na die sha. Sofri sofri abeg

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by fuckerholic(m): 6:58am On Dec 18, 2014
safarigirl:
hian! This your name na die sha. Sofri sofri abeg
Its just a name.nothing seriouse about it.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Toeyean1507(f): 10:53pm On Dec 27, 2014
Chai! I can't believe I missed a beautiful piece as dis. Safarigirl,did God created us d same day? We agree on so many tins dat I'm beginning to think we re siamese. U r indeed a model. Back to d topic: I've always said this and until it take effect,I won't stop saying it. Yes,I'm a woman. Yes,I was created with no bias. I refuse to be a leech and a liability and I can't afford to be relegated. I wanna be seen,heard and appreciated. Ask my male acquaintances,I'm sure dey'll prepare u an epistle on how witty I'm wen it comes to standing up to d challenge frm my male counterparts...................Yes,I'm proud to be ME.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Monicasque(f): 6:30am On Feb 01, 2015
Beautifl thread. Brings tears to my eyes. Sisters lets wake up and be like the rest of the world, coz out there sisters r doing it for themselves

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by cancaworm: 12:22pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hmmmm. I won-t be surprised that all these ladies are married now and washing clothes at their backyard.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bukatyne(f): 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2016
yodiyokun:

@Bold:

On point.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by bukatyne(f): 6:02pm On Jul 04, 2016
cancaworm:
Hmmmm. I won-t be surprised that all these ladies are married now and washing clothes at their backyard.

Anything wrong with marriage or washing clothes at the backyard?
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by siofra(f): 9:29pm On Nov 05, 2021
This is so interest, beaut writ, Intel stimulate, foo fo thot.

On a serious note, I think this has changed or maybe it's the kind of friends I have because that is not their future ambition.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by loyalty500: 12:17am On Nov 06, 2021
before I opened the thread something told me it's the fool that commented before me that brought the thread back to life, and guess what? I was totally right
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by loyalty500: 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2021
siofra:

You're an idiot and you have no one to tell you, so I did.
So what if I bring the thread back to life? Slowtard!
werey alaso
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Bigpapi: 5:49am On Nov 07, 2021
safarigirl:
If you're one who has stayed within the female hostel of any Nigerian University, you'll find that most of it's occupants share similar hopes and dreams- and no, it's not to excel in their chosen career paths.

One of the lecturers in my school aptly described women as 'a waste of education'...no, it wasn't an insult, it was just stating the obvious. You find a woman who has hustled through primary, secondary and University education. One who looked set to be a force to reckon with in the world of business or law or medicine, I mean a female with straight A's and you think Nigerian women may be getting things right, only to follow her back to her hostel and hear these heart-breaking words:

"Omo, after school na to find husband marry remain."

In the real sense of the word this is translated to:

"After school, I'll fling my degee inside one iron box in my dad's storeroom, find a perfect mugu that will put a ring on my finger, buy me a car, set up a boutique/beauty saloon for me and all I have to do to get this is spread my legs for him and push out little people with his DNA"

Nigerian women view marriage the same way hustling Nigerian men view the US Green Card- an avenue to escape life's troubles. So in the same way you find 23 year old Nigerian men marrying 56 year old American women, you find young, promising women relegated to some man's priority list.

I don't think most Nigerian women realise that nobody wants to get attached to a leech. If you allow some Nigerian women, they would even want their husbands to carry the babies and birth them as well. And when you ask why they don't want to build wealth with a man, you hear:

"I've already suffered in my father's house. I don't want to continue suffering in my husband's house"

Now unless you're getting married to a no-good leech like yourself, there is no reason why building wealth with a man should be termed 'suffering'

Even on Sun Newspaper's 'Beauty Of The Week' it's the same thing.

Future Ambition: Getting Married And Having Kids

If you think God put you on this earth to make a liability of yourself, you need to think again. There is more to life than being someone's baby mama. There is a purpose for getting an education that lies beyond being able to speak good english whenever you and your man attend social functions

Nigerian women need to sit down and re-evaluate their lives. God sent you to assist a man, not to add to his problems. Men appreciate women who can think for themselves, who want to contribute to the family (and I don't mean churning out kids). There is nothing more endearing than a smart woman who views men as companions rather than money bags.

Don't waste the education your parents worked so hard to provide for you. Break the stereotype, Nigerian women should be more than gold-digging leeches. If the likes of Oby Ezekwesili, Joke Silva, NOI can be successful career women as well as wives and mothers, then we all need to dust up our certificates and CVs and have proper future ambitions.

God Bless You...and don't take this the wrong way grin

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by TheKingsmann(m): 6:42am On Nov 07, 2021
siofra:

You're an idiot and you have no one to tell you, so I did.

So what if I bring the thread back to life? Slowtard!
Seun, lalasticlala, Mynd44 rule 2
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by siofra(f): 8:18am On Nov 07, 2021
loyalty500:
before I opened the thread something told me it's the fool that commented before me that brought the thread back to life, and guess what? I was totally right

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44 rule 2

You think you have sense shebi?

1 Like

Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by loyalty500: 9:36am On Nov 07, 2021
siofra:

Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44 rule 2

You think you have sense shebi?
ode you are the one always displaying lack of serse, fück off and go rest in peace, your werey go soon enter market, disgusting thing.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by kazyhm(m): 11:14am On Nov 07, 2021
yodiyokun:

I wish the op read this and the larger society pushing and misleading the female gender with one-sided life is a bed of rose preposition ideas.

Experience is way the best determinant.

The talk down on gender roles is to aim at a dysfunctional, disoriented family life and by extension the society.....and it mostly affect boy child negatively meanwhile girl are been handed over power that might likely consume them and make them miserable in the end.

Reality of female/women is different from what feminist are propagating.

Why I don't support feminist is because they are pushing female beyond their limit and that is unfair and dangerous in the long run.
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Jecint: 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2021
Op this you're assertation is not entirely true . Many Nigeria women have woken up and are working towards their career. Currently I belong to a community of young women that are career oriented, smart and focused .Seeking personal development , self-aware, hardworking and not waiting on any man for upkeep .

On the other side of the coin , I've met many young women who can't wait to finish tertiary school so they could marry a wealthy man and supposedly 'suffer no more' . They see hardwork as suffer and you can hear them say things like 'if I get better boyfriend (cum husband) I'll not work but enjoy my self'...

This type of women have limiting mindset , many times tie their respect and honour to their man .

This mindset most times is one that the society taught them , that their view doesn't count, the pride and prize of a woman is a husband and children and she mustn't allow her career to ruin this prize .
Re: On Nigerian Women And (lack Of) Future Ambition by Jsaviour(f): 12:44am On Dec 27, 2021
safarigirl:
once in a while we need to look inwards rather than blame society for our shortcomings. That 16-year old Pakistani girl that fights for the rights of the girl child around the world chose to be the change in a country that has no regard for women. Blaming the society has to stop somewhere, individuals make the society. We must change the individuals that make up the society to change the society

I agree with you but believe me, this is a society problem of brainwashing.

I overhead my neighbors children discussing, these are children between the ages of 4-10 years. The girls were only talking about how they will marry rich husbands. Who taught them this? Probably parents, peers in school etc.

A child is already brainwashed to believe that she is only good to be a wife to a rich man.

Society is doomed. We can only educate ourselves and reevaluate our values and aspirations

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Man Proposes To His Girlfriend At Shoprite In Ibadan (Photos) / Nairalanders Tell Us Your Selling Point(goody Bag) / My Mum Is Against My Relationship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.