Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,019 members, 7,810,820 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois (54406 Views)

Staff Cry As Rafindadi, VC Of Lokoja Federal University Leaves Office After Sack / Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC / Prof Ilesanmi Adeshida Named As VC / Provost Of Univ Of Illnois, Urbana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by mimijj(f): 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
doctorgold: Nigerians making waves. Congrats Prof. However, we need people like you back home to help this ailing country of ours.

You mean he should come back and join ASUU?
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by RaptorX: 4:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
morbid: This forum should not be promoting this kind of topics. The traffic at the American Embassy with the daily show of shame where our citizens shed profuse tears becaus they were denied visas re already a cause for concern. Unless you guys are comfortable with brain drain this nation experiences on daily basis.
Lol at shedding tears, why would anyone shed tears at being denied an American visa. Is it not these same America or is there a different one. Saw this dude on CSPAN couple of days ago, he was praising America like crazy every sentence was completed with how great America was. But is an American VC same position as a Nigerian VC?
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by whitecat1: 4:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Yoruba leading the way!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by OMA4U(m): 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
I know he didn't school in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Etosonc(m): 4:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
Vessi:
No it is lagos, osun, ondo, ekiti, ogun and oyo.
no His Father Is 4rm Ondo His Mum 4rm Lagos And Ekiti Grandpa 4rm Oyo Grandma 4rm Osun cheesy
Vessi:
No it is lagos, osun, ondo, ekiti, ogun and oyo.
no His Father Is 4rm Ondo His Mum 4rm Lagos And Ekiti Grandpa 4rm Oyo Grandma 4rm Osun
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by greall1: 4:24pm On Sep 25, 2014
Make una take am easy.

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Etosonc(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
whitecat1: Yoruba leading the way!
hypocrite cool
whitecat1: Yoruba leading the way!
hypocrite

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by cuteboy2: 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
If you bring Prof Adesida home now, corruption will swallow him up. Prof Barth Nnaji had that kind of pedigree as well, and well respected, until he decided to come home to contribute his quota to improve power supply. Nigeria murky politics almost rubished the mans reputation.

Better Prof Adesida and our best and brightest stay back over there and continue to make waves.
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by mrgreen4real(m): 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
This is an old thread. Saw it two years back on NL
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by ducii: 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
ALAYORMII: A Professor of Nigerian descent, Ilesanmi Adesida made history last month by becoming the first black Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the well-respected University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in the United States.

Born in Ondo State, Prof Adesida is a Nigerian engineer whose outstanding work in the field of Nanotechnology has received much acclaim in the scientific community.

He obtained his Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and subsequently went on to develop a body of work in the processing of semiconductors and other materials at the nanometer-scale level.

After his studies, he worked in various capacities at what is now known as the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility and the School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. He was also the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.

Commenting on his recently appointed role, Prof Adesida said: “I’m honoured and humbled to be selected as provost of this great campus. This is something I take very seriously. I know how to work very hard and I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.”

Prof Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is also the past-president of IEEE Electron Devices Society.

There is nothing new in what he has achieved, you are making it to be such a big deal, him coming back to Nigeria makes no difference to what is going to happen, what we need are people with integrity that can rule this country, after all the finance minister held a bigger position in the US before she came to Nigeria, she has actually not change much, if you look very well at the politicians we have today, nearly all of them must have gone abroad at some point to study or work, but that has not changed the fact that continuous looting has been going on in the country. So if you ask me him coming back to Nigeria makes no difference, he should stay and face his work.
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by tunnamaniah(m): 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
rattlesnake: If this man should contest for President in Nigeria HE WONT WIN....

Cos the f..ols are majority
lolz, u are f**cking right
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by severee(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
MenGoingThereWay:
B U L L S H I T

-MenGoingThereWay

grin yinmu if I hear say u no dey salivate right now e dey ur body

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Balkan(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2014
I dont know the noise about a VC. I can afford to put
a prof. on my pay roll. Money speaks men! VC my foot.
VC in a foreign land. he should not be celebrated. we are
here building Nigeria and someone ran away to develop another mans land.
and you guys making so much noise about it. PROUDLY IGBO

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by PapiDShipCapt(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
wandeks: You must be a fool i guess. Hw many Ekiti pple do u knw jez typing nonsense nd who told u we r illiterate?
Wandeks! wandeks!! It is quite unfortunate that you have resorted to insulting me just to make your points. Let me tell u boy, it is not advisable to rely on insults to win an argument.

If u r asking hw many ekiti pple I knw, unfortunately I've known u.

Ekiti pple keep jubilating that they have the highest number of professors yet the younger generations are not following the path these old profs took and the worst fact is that these invinsible profs r not laying effort towards improving the educational standard in the state.

I don't wanna start saying things because the state served me peacefully even in their backwardness.
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by jahbiz: 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
fineyemi: It is osun and ondo excluding ekiti. I confirmed it masef.
Hahahah u can't b sure. If two Ekiti people are arguing in those days,one will tell the other to shut up and ask ''how many Prof do u have in your family'' they carry the flag when it coms to education. Go and check again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nigerians having valuable and acquisitive brains since 1500bc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
Blaqsmith: Prof. ILESANMI ADESIDA

A Yoruba man has raised the bar and set the World standard again grin
Speak on behalf of d whole nation guy, any gud thing dat comes out of naija is a joint effort, dont tribalise dis. Whole lot of Ibo & Hausa guys are making nigeria proud in the diaspora.
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by yomanovic: 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
morbid: This forum should not be promoting this kind of topics. The traffic at the American Embassy with the daily show of shame where our citizens shed profuse tears becaus they were denied visas re already a cause for concern. Unless you guys are comfortable with brain drain this nation experiences on daily basis.

Bro, forget that thing o. You no know say Naija water no dey run dry?
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by mainman7(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
jahbiz: Hahahah u can't b sure. If two Ekiti people are arguing in those days,one will tell the other to shut up and ask ''how many Prof do u have in your family'' they carry the flag when it coms to education. Go and check again.
As soon as I saw the topic, even without reading the article yet, I smiled and said to myself "I'm so proud to be Yoruba" I know, only we Yorubas are so academically and spiritually advanced to achieve such feats. We lead others follow!
"igi kan kole dapose o! Igbale kan to ba yo kuro ninu osusu owo ko le gba nkan kan" Whether Ekiti, Ondo or Osun all na Yoruba Land. Only Yoruba unity would make us rule Africa again. I believe that one day the Yorubas shall rule the world. Together we stand, divided we fall.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by adconline(m): 5:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
RaptorX: Lol at shedding tears, why would anyone shed tears at being denied an American visa. Is it not these same America or is there a different one. Saw this dude on CSPAN couple of days ago, but is an American VC same position as a Nigerian VC?
Nope. VCs head universities in Naija while Presidents head universities in the US. Prof Adesida is second to DVC by Naija standard. At UI system, his school, you have President - Chancellor- VC . 3rd person in his school. Quite an accomplishment! He's US educated as well!
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Blaqsmith(m): 5:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
ajayitp04: Speak on behalf of d whole nation guy, any gud thing dat comes out of naija is a joint effort, dont tribalise dis. Whole lot of Ibo & Hausa guys are making nigeria proud in the diaspora.
pls forgive me.

I never meant to be tribalistic.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by adconline(m): 5:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
Balkan: I dont know the noise about a VC. I can afford to put
a prof. on my pay roll. Money speaks men! VC my foot.
VC in a foreign land. he should not be celebrated. we are
here building Nigeria and someone ran away to develop another mans land.
and you guys making so much noise about it. PROUDLY IGBO
Cut it! Stupidity inked in your DNA?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Congrats. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by STENON(f): 5:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
@ Prof. Adesida....Congrats, and I wish you more Successful and higher Position in this Life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Bharbieface(m): 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
fineyemi: It is osun and ondo excluding ekiti. I confirmed it masef.

u know nuffin buddy... Ekiti and Ondo tops d list, go do Ur research again
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by mainman7(m): 5:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
teeghurl: see ds blo.ke, whr did u get dt story from? So y is he nt bearing his father's surname abi BIAFRA war don erase d name?

Lol.... My brother, don't mind those materialism blinded igbos with fart filled craniums. At one eatry 3 weeks ago, 5 igbo pple had an hot argument with me, they were authoritatively claiming that Funke Akindele that acted Jenifer Movie is igbo! Lol... I laugh, laugh so tey water begin comot for my eyes... igbos, since u pple can't even trace ur ancenstory, just acknowledge the fact that we the Yorubas are your fore-fathers and we'll both be cool till the world ends. When next u see a Yoruba, duff your hat and bow for him/her!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by oluagness(m): 5:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
Congratulations, the Lord will bless your effort and grant you more wisdom. We need you here in our country, Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by benjsniper33: 5:40pm On Sep 25, 2014
ogaofficer: Bros dnt mind them. . . . Am expecting the E-warrior to start the world war. Yoruba and ibo fighting eachoda since 19th century.

Point of correction, the yorubas got to know the ibos in the 1930s and this is because of the early 20th century mass migration of the ibos to the south-west (lagos) mostly for commercial and political ends, before then the ibos were nowhere to be found in yorubaland .Little traces of beef between both of them began in the late 1940s due to the innate jealousy of ibo people and their refusal to work with the yoruba people despite the fact that the Yorubas welcomed them with open hands (even Zik later regretted this late in life) and the yorubas, not having time for shit decided to move on .Then the beefings officially aggravated after the biafran war when yoruboids displayed a tactical tendency to destroy anything that has weight and occupy space living or non-living. This is a mad feature of the yorubas when seriously provoked.(Battle of Ore or i would say Battle of Provocation)
Both of them have their problems , however i suggest the easterners work with them and brush aside all tribal sidetalks

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2014
freshness2020: I wasn't surprise when I saw ondo state!
Represent us well!
#irepUnity!
I was surprised.
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
oluagness: Congratulations, the Lord will bless your effort and grant you more wisdom. We need you here in our country, Nigeria
hahaha..need who?
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: Nigeria is blessed with great talents. We must learn to appreciate ourselves...

Everybody's Got Talent.

Good People, Great Nation!!

yea nigeria is blessed...
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by freshness2020: 5:55pm On Sep 25, 2014
ferdimako:
I was surprised.
♈όϋ were? And why

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Only One Move Can Balance This Equation / Man Puts Sugarcane Hawkers In School In Zaria (Photos) / Onyiuke Akachukwu Matthew Tackles JAMB On Withheld UTME Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.