Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love (29374 Views)

If Your Bea Dresses Like This To Greet Your Parent, What Will You Do? / I Detest Light Skinned Women.. / Pet Names And Phrases Guys Use On Girls And Girls Totally Detest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Misogynist2014(m): 3:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Discard her. So many babes out there seeking for my hand in marriage cool . If a man dates a lady for love, he is a gunner. You should date a lady out of pity. tongue

That sounds manly wink

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 3:42am On Oct 15, 2014
BTT:
Convince them. It may take time but they will come around if they SEE your resolve.

Don't ever go ahead without their nod.

My $1m.
What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 3:45am On Oct 15, 2014
I don't know about Love o, but strong like wink

They say:

"This is not the best time, I don't want to talk about it"
"I don't have time for that right now. Just pray harder"
"Face your studies"
"Americans do not know how to love. Find yourself a proper Nigerian man"
"Pray harder for the right person."

She'll get over it wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by PastorOluT(m): 3:50am On Oct 15, 2014
Princecalm:
What do you do when your Dad or Mum detest of the one you love so dearly?.Will you just ignore and go on with the wedding.

First u have to prayerfully consider ur choice once again 'cos there was obviously something they saw. After that n u still do not see anything, try talking to them n prayerfully make them see reasons with u while u may employ the plea of someone close to them.

NB The truth is never go ahead without their consent, I have seen a few that went ahead like that n majority of those relationships never end up well.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Muscomide: 4:06am On Oct 15, 2014
To paraphrase a Yoruba proverb, if the wise counsel of elders fails to manifest in the morning, it will manifest by night time.

To paraphrase an Igbo proverb, what an elder can see whilst sitting down, a youth cannot see whilst atop a tall tree.

Heed the counsel of elders o! They usually know best.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 15, 2014
[color=#770077][/color] Some people just be speaking conc rubbish from their mouth all in d name of commenting....
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Anas4sure(m): 4:11am On Oct 15, 2014
I will go marry olosho as alternative...jst wake up 2 comment,sleepn tnz again
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by pashaun(f): 4:12am On Oct 15, 2014
I don't know, but remember parents are usually right. They see things you overlook.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by stabilizer: 4:12am On Oct 15, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Discard her. So many babes out there seeking for my hand in marriage cool . If a man dates a lady for love, he is a gunner. You should date a lady out of pity. tongue

But I think if you date a lady out of pity, thousands will pity you at the end of the relationship grin

That sounds manly wink
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Anas4sure(m): 4:13am On Oct 15, 2014
cryI will go marry olosho as alternative...jst wake up 2 comment,sleepn tnz againI will go marry olosho as alternative...jst wake up 2 comment,sleepn tnz againI will go marry olosho as alternative...jst wake up 2 comment,sleepn tnz again
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 15, 2014
Forgoe d tin
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by pashaun(f): 4:16am On Oct 15, 2014
Ilekere:
I don't know about Love o, but strong like wink

They say:

"This is not the best time, I don't want to talk about it"
"I don't have time for that right now. Just pray harder"
"Face your studies"
"Americans do not know how to love. Find yourself a proper Nigerian man"
"Pray harder for the right person."

She'll get over it wink

Accurate.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lucasbalo(m): 4:19am On Oct 15, 2014
carsellerz:
That like asking for what breaks the parental love and join marital love. I think d parent shud let the fellow take his destiny in his hand. period.
Gbam.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by ctyson90(f): 4:19am On Oct 15, 2014
If your parents are unreasonable and seemingly unyielding after all your efforts of trying to prove that youre with the right person, pray and ask for guidance from the heavens. They will tell u follow your heart.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by kNarcissus(m): 4:20am On Oct 15, 2014
They're gonna have to deal with whatever reasons they have, I ain't a slave to anyone's opinion. But I'm rational.. if I see genuineness in their reasons, then I pay heed.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lucasbalo(m): 4:22am On Oct 15, 2014
moneymaker24:
Depends on the gravity of the love oooo. I remember when i was crazy in love with my first love. My parent didn't like her but i really didn't care o. Not like i was been disobedient or sorts but parents just need to understand that there are some love situations they can't have a control over. If na wife matter....... Biko na who wan dey live with the wife for the rest of him life? Parent or me??
You are a smart guy.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by kNarcissus(m): 4:22am On Oct 15, 2014
pashaun:
I don't know, but remember parents are usually right. They see things you overlook.

Yea.. you're right!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lucasbalo(m): 4:34am On Oct 15, 2014
The bottom line is that your parents have no right to dictate to you whom you should marry. I have the utmost respect and love for my parents for all they sacrifice for my siblings and I. The only time I had a disagreement with my mother was when I was getting married. Her main objection was I was not marrying from her tribe and that I was too young (23). I sat her down and told her I am done with my education , have a good job and that I like to do things earlier in life. She didn't reason with me but pop was very understanding. Went and got married anyway,. Dad was in Chicago for the wedding and mum wasn't. Its been a blast of a marital life for me and wifey and the girls. Bottom line, it's your life and your decision to make. It doesn't mean you don't love your parents. I sure won't dictate to my children who to choose for marriage.

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by BAYKEM(m): 4:39am On Oct 15, 2014
First, you must ask ur parents for their reasons. if the reason is reasonable, dear, she isn't the only lady in the world. but if they have no reasonable or tangible reason, you must not enforce them to accept her, u will only need time and patience to convince them. You can also invite few highly respected people(that they respect ) to help u. Mind u, in a case whereby 80% of those around u rejects it, my friend, release her.
lastly, prayer can change all things, even hearts. Pray over it and let God get involved. He is the greatest solution. Thanks.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Atmmachine(m): 4:52am On Oct 15, 2014
Lucasbalo:
The bottom line is that your parents have no right to dictate to you whom you should marry. I have the utmost respect and love for my parents for all they sacrifice for my siblings and I. The only time I had a disagreement with my mother was when I was getting married. Her main objection was I was not marrying from her tribe and that I was too young (23). I sat her down and told her I am done with my education , have a good job and that I like to do things earlier in life. She didn't reason with me but pop was very understanding. Went and got married anyway,. Dad was in Chicago for the wedding and mum wasn't. Its been a blast of a marital life for me and wifey and the girls. Bottom line, it's your life and your decision to make. It does mean you don't love your parents. I sure won't dictate to my children who to choose for marriage.

Are you married to an American ??
& What was your Mum's reason for not attending the wedding ??
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lucasbalo(m): 5:00am On Oct 15, 2014
Atmmachine:

Are you married to an American ??
& What was your Mum's reason for not attending the wedding ??
Married to an African born in America. I guess she was against it because she wants me to marry a particular girl from Lagos. Plus she thought I was too young. 20 years now and the marriage is still as good as the first day of marriage.

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lexusgs430: 5:02am On Oct 15, 2014
Parents would always want to naturally feel they have the best instincts.
Speak to them politely about the positives they feel are negatives, state your undying love for the other party, sacrifices both of you have made and all other relevant point to buttress your commitment.
Eventually, they would come around.
NB: Even if the union fails, life is all about risks!!!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Atmmachine(m): 5:04am On Oct 15, 2014
Will my parents pay the bride price & wedding expenses ??
If Yes !!
They have every fucking right to detest whom i love.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Atmmachine(m): 5:06am On Oct 15, 2014
Lucasbalo:
Married to an African born in America. I guess she was against it because she wants me to marry a particular girl from Lagos. Plus she thought I was too young. 20 years now and the marriage is still as good as the first day of marriage.

#Good luck bro.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lucasbalo(m): 5:10am On Oct 15, 2014
Atmmachine:

#Good luck bro.
Thanks my man. What part of Chicago you reside?. Am in Oak Park (Harlem/Augusta).
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by olayincar(m): 5:27am On Oct 15, 2014
bunmioguns:
Convince them.... There is nothing you can do without your parents blessings ..

Yes you are right
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 15, 2014
I will let them be and glue to my decision.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 5:31am On Oct 15, 2014
Parents are more experienced than we re. Sometimes, they r some qualities they feel/see in our partners than we tend nt to notice in our partners. If they happen to tell u nt to marry the person u love, then there must be an ideal and convincing reason to b right. But, if there's none, il try to do d convincing masef.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by slye(m): 5:33am On Oct 15, 2014
Parents can be wrong at times.. you just av to convince and make them realise

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Edusouls(m): 5:38am On Oct 15, 2014
Africans re certain type of people, that have certain type of attitiude, they re not loving at all, and we practice so much hatred, we love segregation, some parents just dont like their children marrying from a particular tribe, due to hatred for that people, they tell u, they hve bad behaviour and bad culture, but their own people re angels and re gud behaved, if u even look, u see that ur own people may be the devil that will never give gud thing any chance, so due to so much senseless hatred and divison that reigns in the black man hearts and land, the society is devoid of luv..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Mistakes Women Make With Men / Please My Nairalanders, What Is Okafor's Law? / Man Kneels Down To Propose To His Girlfriend During Her Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.