Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love - Romance (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love (29373 Views)

If Your Bea Dresses Like This To Greet Your Parent, What Will You Do? / I Detest Light Skinned Women.. / Pet Names And Phrases Guys Use On Girls And Girls Totally Detest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Guyman02: 11:31am On Oct 15, 2014
Missmossy:
I really can't imagine settling down with a partner detested by my folks. If i try all i can to convince them and its all to no avail,i'd look forward and let their decision stand because they know better than i do.

Its gonna be a tough choice though,but what will be will be.

Small boys talk. If you think it is the best decision for you in life you cant wait entirely for flimsy reasons from parents because whichever decision you take whether from parent or yourself, you are the one to live with it.

My friend dumped his girlfriend for no reason but because of parents advise about her tribe, today he regrets that decision and cant get her back as she has moved on, she meant so much to him and not his parent, one of the parent has passed on and he caters for the other and they dont know the emotional turmoil he is facing for swallowing their advise and insistence.
Its your life to live, after-all you never chose your mother for your father.

Any man who decides that it is the scrotum of a ram that he wants to eat should know that he is indebted to elephantiasis of the scrotum (Igbo proverb)

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by DebateNigeria: 11:35am On Oct 15, 2014
Tex42:
na lie! they are not always right bro, and the bible did not ask you to obey your parents even when itz obvious they are giving u a lift to hell.

hope u get ma point.
Thank u bro. It says "obey your parents IN THE LORD"...Not even when intention is devlish. So if their parents ask them to kill or steal they will go ahead

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Tex42(m): 11:40am On Oct 15, 2014
DebateNigeria:

People always quote bible to serve their purpose.
The book of Ephisians 6:1-4 is clear. I will higlight some points people miss out.
Vs 1- children obey your parents IN THE LORD. people always miss that point. The bible does not preach tribal hatred or otherwise. If its in the Lord I will obey.
Vs 4- And, ye fathers PROVOKE NOT YOUR CHILDREN TO WRATH, but bring them up in d nurture and admonition of the Lord. If you train your child well in d ways of christ, be sure he will make good decision.

Now my contribution. .... parental blessing is important but it depends on some factors.
1. Are their reasons genuine and palpable, if yes, pls don't go ahead, u will regret later.
2. Is their reason selfish, due to tribe, social class or otherwise, please go ahead...things will settle later.

There are no hard and fast rule. You will be in that marriage, not your parents. The ultimate choice is in your hands. On the judgement day, your parents will not be there to stand for you, its all man for himself.
There are failed marriages approved by both parents, there are failed marriages not approved by parents, there are successful marriages approved by parents and successful marriages not approved by parents. The biggest factor is the man and woman.
Goodluck
1000LIKES for u bro.

most of these disapprovals by our parents is prompted by tribal diff or social class(sentiments are not left out).

tell an Anambrarian parent(s) that u want to marry an Imo lady and watch their reaction.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by dober(m): 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
hakeem4:
Just deny her and say she's my reading partner
Hahaha.
Baddest.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by jaybiz007(m): 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2014
fola14:

BROS, PLEASE WHEN QUOTING, QUOTE RIGHT. WHAT THAT VERSE QUOTES IS BELOW. THERE WAS NO MENTION OF GOOD WIFE, IT SAYS WHOEVER FINDS A WIFE, FINDS A GOOD THING.

FYI: Pro_18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD.
Thanks for the correction.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by obyno6ix: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Very simple. Move on with your life.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by jaybiz007(m): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
destante:
I like this. But how do you know when the parents are not judging based on their tribal or personal differences.
That is where the beauty of healthy dialogue comes in. Anyone can be convinced, depending how you present it, I may be wrong though.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by dober(m): 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2014
Be careful! It is important that one thoroughly look into the reason(s) given by one's parents in a situation like this.
As the saying goes, "what an elder sees while sitting, a child MAY not see it even while on the tallest of trees".
Moreover, they are still the ones we would run to when there is an oil spillage in our marriages.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
Come! Who wrote this thread?10th century things.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by mumuto: 12:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Parents always mean well for their children as they bring their child up in their best capacity with their available resources. Ignoring them when taking a life partner would not be in the best interest of the individual.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by jcccccc: 12:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
LESSON TO ALL YOUNGSTERS ESPECIALLY CHRISTIANS

[b]There are reasons why your parents could detest a person you brought to them because they know better than you whether you believe it or not.
They love you that is why they trained you in the midst of hardship, no girlfriend or girlfriend would do that for you.
They may love or hate a person you are bringing to them probably because they know the antecedents of the clan that the person in question comes from. So they would be warning you whether you want to hear it or not.
It could be people that go into prostitution after marriage or people that add poison to their spouses food after they gather the documents to your hard earned properties.
You may ignore them but your life would become an interpretation of misery at the end.
Such evil people are using internet and TV as well as radio stations to destroy core values of prosperous societies so that they will stop the youths from listening to their parents.
Anything that has to do with marriage must to a larger extent be better for it if you listen to elders especially your parents.
Not all that glitters is gold. Check the antecedents of that woman with lipstick-coated-mouth(deceptive looks) you want to marry before you are bedridden of stroke. Look before you leap.[/b]
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Come!who wrote this thread?10th century things.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Lathunjimi(m): 12:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
stardragon:

na die ur friend dey o.
after 10-15yrs, then ur friend ll see the great consequences of marrying her..

benin girl undecided

benin girl cry

Are you saying his family is right by not wanting him to marry her or is it true that Benin girls rarely make good wives/daughter-in-laws? But on the contrary, this girl is of good attitude and we'll polished even from a royal and wealthy family. My friend isn't financially bad as well.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lathunjimi:

Are you saying his family is right by not wanting him to marry her or is it true that Benin girls rarely make good wives/daughter-in-laws? But on the contrary, this girl is of good attitude and we'll polished even from a royal and wealthy family. My friend isn't financially bad as well.

all my igbo folks that married a benin girl usually ends in a sad note, either caused by her or indirectly from her...
but if he truely loves her, he should go ahead. no body shoud be an obstacle to him, not even his parents smiley
"LOVE CONQUERS EVERY THING"
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by jcccccc: 12:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lathunjimi:

Are you saying his family is right by not wanting him to marry her or is it true that some girls from a place in IGBOLAND rarely make good wives/daughter-in-laws? But on the contrary, this girl is of good attitude and we'll polished. My friend isn't financially bad as well.

LESSON TO ALL YOUNGSTERS ESPECIALLY CHRISTIANS

[b]There are reasons why your parents could detest a person you brought to them because they know better than you whether you believe it or not.
They love you that is why they trained you in the midst of hardship, no girlfriend or girlfriend would do that for you.
They may love or hate a person you are bringing to them probably because they know the antecedents of the clan that the person in question comes from. So they would be warning you whether you want to hear it or not.
It could be people that go into prostitution after marriage or people that add poison to their spouses food after they gather the documents to your hard earned properties.
You may ignore them but your life would become an interpretation of misery at the end.
Such evil people are using internet and TV as well as radio stations to destroy core values of prosperous societies so that they will stop the youths from listening to their parents.
Anything that has to do with marriage must to a larger extent be better for it if you listen to elders especially your parents.
Not all that glitters is gold. Check the antecedents of that woman with lipstick-coated-mouth(deceptive looks) you want to marry before you are bedridden of stroke. Look before you leap.[/b]

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by lilmax(m): 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
Nigerian film
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by ChristyG(f): 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2014
stardragon:

all my igbo folks that married a benin girl usually ends in sad note, either caused by her or indirectly from her
so ur ibo folks are saints and perfect abi?,dey never do wrong,it is always d fault of d benin girl cos igbo guys are perfect abi.am guessing u lived with dose people,dat is how u knew it was always d fault of d benin girl.what about couples who are both igbo yet d marriage still crumbled?

1 Like

Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by moneymaker24(m): 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
Lucasbalo:
You are a smart guy.

Thanks sir.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Ann2deals(f): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
if my mum and dad detest my dream man with passion i ll pay deaf ears to them with pleasure.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
ChristyG:
so ur ibo folks are saints and perfect abi?,dey never do wrong,it is always d fault of d benin girl cos igbo guys are perfect abi.am guessing u lived with dose people,dat is how u knew it was always d fault of d benin girl.what about couples who are both igbo yet d marriage still crumbled?

talking from experience, not been bias sad
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by EMMYB0Y(m): 1:56pm On Oct 15, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDwfheCagA&feature=youtu.be click this link to watch YOU ARE THE GIRL I USED TO KNOW by (DARE@ALADE) ANIMATED CHIPMUNK VIDEO...............CHIPMUNK VERSION
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by eleko1: 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2014
sad shocked embarassed shocked
Ann2deals:
if my mum and dad detest my dream man with passion i ll pay deaf ears to them with pleasure.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by MORNDEW(m): 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
infobiz9ja:
What an elder sees while sitting down a young man/woman can't see from atop a tree. The words of elders are words of wisdom so try as much as possible to reason with elders b4 u make the biggest mistake of your life.
like the words of anenih, ikimi, babngida, jonah jang abi.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by chuka5000(m): 2:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
abbeyoye2001:
Will just let go. Bible says "obey ur parent" they must have a genuine reason thoo
how many are u gonna let go?
I think its berra to talk it out
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Ladybluecash(f): 2:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
No reasonable pqrents wil advice their children against marryin who dey wnt to.. Even incases whr dey dnt lik d person dey tell bt can neva stop u frm marryin d person.. Bt jos knw sey u r own ur own if gbege happen...... Bt if dey refuse bluntly i go climb 3rd mainland bridge ofcus una knw d rest of d story..........
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
Misogynist2014:
Discard her. So many babes out there seeking for my hand in marriage cool . If a man dates a lady for love, he is a gunner. You should date a lady out of pity. tongue

That sounds manly wink
Even fagggots think they have a say. Mumu. I expect your rant after quoting me- don't think i'll waste my time reading your shiit.
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Maximus85(m): 2:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
If they don't have a concrete reason, I will disown them and detest them for life
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Misogynist2014(m): 2:40pm On Oct 15, 2014
koyyes:

Even fagggots think they have a say. Mumu. I expect your rant after quoting me- don't think i'll waste my time reading your shiit.
When did I quote you? Do you have mental problem or something? undecided Scumbag!!! angry . Fück your stinky, hairy pùssy! cheesy
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by Misogynist2014(m): 2:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
koyyes:

When did I quote you? Do you have mental problem or something? undecided Scumbag!!! angry . Fück your stinky, hairy pùssy! cheesy

Go back to hell you came from,pùssy. kiss
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by FrenchyL(m): 2:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hello Dear friend. I think you need to ask them why they do not like or accept your friend. Hear them out but take time to ask God first. If at the end of everything,you see that your parents are not in agreement because of selfish or tribal reasons, then try to appeal to them but be firm concerning your choice if you are fully convinced that you are taking the right step.

I wish you the very best. smiley
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by destante(f): 3:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
jaybiz007:

That is where the beauty of healthy dialogue comes in. Anyone can be convinced, depending how you present it, I may be wrong though.
I agree sha
Re: What Do You Do When Your Parent Detest The One You Love by spongebob0006(f): 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
in cases lyk ds,just ask dm d reason 4 der action and if it bcmes persistnt,just 4gt d person cos wt an elder sees sitn,a young child cn neva c it evn if he climbs d hghest mountain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funaab Finalists Celebrates Denim Day In Styles (Photos) / 10 Mistakes Women Make With Men / Please My Nairalanders, What Is Okafor's Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.