Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 AM

The Fall Of Chelsea - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Fall Of Chelsea (7733 Views)

See List Of Chelsea Players And Their Monthly Salaries / Names Of Chelsea Coaches Sacked Under Roman Abramovich / Notable Facts & Achievements Of Chelsea Fc: I Love These Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Ay4real(m): 2:12pm On Dec 23, 2006
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Abdblues(m): 2:55pm On Dec 23, 2006
@Christino: I do try to avoid putting conditions (IF) in my arguements because what will happens (IF bla bla bla , ) is just a matter of conjecture, But we might as well talk about it, Firstly:
Without Roman's Millions (IF he never bought Chelsea), a lot of scenarios could play itself out but the option of Chelsea getting relegated is absolutely out of it simply because Chelsea pre-Roman Era were NEVER relegation Candidates!!(position from 1998-2003:4th, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 4th), We could even have gone ahead to win the premiership! Also i would want you to note that if Roman did not take over Chelsea, We would still have been able to afford the likes of Drogba, essin, makalele e.t.c because their price tags would not have been that high, it is not a secret that whenever Chelsea bid for a player, the pricetags of the player will just suddenly increase: For example SWP was definitely not worth £21 Million but because it was Chelsea involved,Man Nity just saw the oppurtunity to make a lot of money!Apart from maybe Shevchenko, all the players chelsea have bought were overpriced, simply because of Roman.

So what happens If Roman withdraws his millions today? My guy, we are in the era of club take overs, someone else will simply take over, If the likes West Ham, Newcastle and Aston Villa could attract investors, Chelsea (which is much more attractive than all these teams) will definitely find an investor! and life goes on!!!
, But like i said earlier these are all speculations!what we know for sure is what we are seeing now - that Chelsea is a top team and will be around for a while, the sooner people start getting used to it, the better for us all! wink
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Christino(m): 3:38pm On Dec 23, 2006
You obviously did not read my posts insightfully, you prolly just brushed through because they were long.

Now go back and read the parts where i stated that Pre-Roman Chelsea was good and salary cap and other spendings were kept at the minimum,

Currently, wages are at the maximum attracting concern from other football governing bodies among others. Since Portsmouth takeover, how many transfers have gone beyond 10 million pounds? I remember chelsea were ready to pay as much as 40mill pounds or more for Adriano, Can't remember the figures for Henry back then.

The case is Chelsea surviving without a rich owner at the moment is unthinkable. Face it.

I never said Chelsea were relegation candidates before Abramovich, so please go back and read all my posts before coming to repeat what i've said.Chelsea will be around for as long as Roman's millions can sustain until their accounts become balanced (don't see that happening in 7 years!!!)

CHELSEA WITHOUT ROMAN IS LIKE ENYIMBA WITHOUT THE ABIA STATE GOVERNMENT. The earlier you get that into your fake fanatic heads the better grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Akolawole(m): 3:55pm On Dec 23, 2006
Abdblues:

We would still have been able to afford the likes of Drogba, essin, makalele e.t.c because their price tags would not have been that high, it is not a secret that whenever Chelsea bid for a player, the pricetags of the player will just suddenly increase: For example SWP was definitely not worth £21 Million but because it was Chelsea involved,Man Nity just saw the oppurtunity to make a lot of money!Apart from maybe Shevchenko, all the players chelsea have bought were overpriced, simply because of Roman.

You are correct sir.

We were able to sign George Weah, Zola kiss before Roman era.
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Akolawole(m): 3:57pm On Dec 23, 2006
Christino:

Currently, wages are at the maximum attracting concern from other football governing bodies among others. Since Portsmouth takeover, how many transfers have gone beyond 10 million pounds? I remember chelsea were ready to pay as much as 40mill pounds or more for Adriano, Can't remember the figures for Henry back then.

Thats not the figure for Andriano.

Our £40m targets was Henry and Etoo.
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Abdblues(m): 4:54pm On Dec 23, 2006
@ Akolawole: and JFH for £15 million pounds too!!
The case is Chelsea surviving without a rich owner at the moment is unthinkable - You just cannot justify these other than merely speculation- we might lose our status as a title chasing side BUt we will never be religation candidates like you said in your post comparing us to Deby County!!!THERE WAS SOMEBODY BEFORE ROMAN(KEN BATES) SO IF ROMAN GOES SOMBODY ELSE WILL COME!IT IS AS SIMPLE AS THAT.
If roman goes prices of players coming to chelsea will go down and we will still be able to buy players!!Also note that Chelsea is built more around Lampard and Terry than any other player.
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 12:08pm On Dec 24, 2006
with all this yap, I still dont see how chelsea is falling; or isnt it the head of this thread?
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Christino(m): 6:47pm On Dec 24, 2006
ROMAN AGAIN!!!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=397279&cc=3888

After investing so much in the youth system, Roman believes there won't be any need to spend big money on future signings.

The Academy is sure to start yielding fruit soon. Just like Lampard was a fruit of the West Ham Youth system, Chelsea can start dreaming of successors for Terry and co.

This is Roman at work again and I don't know how the old Chelsea would have financed such a huge project while signing Big names alongside!

Please note that the old dogs won't be around for too long. Ballack, Shevy, Makelele and Co are ageing or aged. Most of chelsea's players are above 26.

NO Roman NO. . .grin

Now the complete news:

Abramovich plans to curb Blues spending

Roman Abramovich claims Chelsea's spending in the transfer market will soon be reduced as he expects investment in the club's academy to start bearing fruit.

Since the Russian's £140million takeover of the Stamford Bridge club in 2003 the Blues have won two Premiership titles thanks largely to their new-found financial muscle.

But Abramovich believes the expected results of significant investment in the club's youth system will reduce the need to speculate so lavishly in the transfer market.

He told The Observer: 'Our strategy is to bring up our own players through the academy, which we have invested a lot in, and we hope that will give results.

'We will be spending less in the transfer market in future years.'

Though denying he has any involvement in picking the team, Abramovich admitted he does influence the club's business in the transfer market - though he insisted manager Jose Mourinho has the final say.

'I'm not involved in team selection.

'I cannot say I'm completely not involved in buying players, but my role would be significantly lower than that of the manager's. You cannot compare them. To give an example, this would be an impossible situation when a manager does not want a player to be bought and I try to impose ideas. It would not work.'

Speculation in some quarters suggested £30million striker Andriy Shevchenko was an `Abramovich buy'.

But the club owner insisted his policy applied to all signings: 'Any player, Shevchenko included.'

Abramovich also spoke about suggestions Chelsea are just his current hobby, of which he will eventually tire.

'People who know me said I will win one or two Premierships and will not be interested after that.

'The reality is that we've won two Premierships but I'm more excited about this particular season than last year or the year before.'
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2006
I dont think thats gon' be dangerous
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by wormedup(m): 1:08pm On Dec 27, 2006
Christino:

Last year they won none of the trophies you listed above and no one raised a brow

Xsi,

last year was 2005, check your assertions again bro smiley

there's always a cause prompting events, chelsea shouldn't be an exception.
arsenal have had there years of drought; man u included.
so i really don't agree with your relating trophies to the money chelsea spends.
and the milk cup is a cup smiley

cheers cool
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 1:18pm On Dec 27, 2006
no need for that wormed they wont get off the issue still!!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by manu4laif: 4:41pm On Dec 27, 2006
@Abdblues,
Chelsea can be relegated if they lose the patronage of their benefactor.Quote me.
Blackburn was relegated a few seasons after winning the prremiership in 95.Jack Walker did not leave to see them come back.Leeds was second in the League Semi finalists in Europe by 2001 and were riding high(think they lost to Valencia).Guys were coming in from the Academy and they were making big buys.2 seasons after they were relegated.Now they are in the Roforofo fight of their lives not to go further down.
This is how such things happen .Putin leaves office so Romanski finds it a bit safer to frequent Russia.Less time and funds for Chelsea.No Champions League win or semis placing for 2-3 seasons.He starts getting tired and players salaries can't be sustained.Look ,it can happen.Today John Terry is injured and Chelsea is conceeding average of 2 goals per game.If Lampard and Essien were to move to say Real with no quality replacements what would happen.
Back to Leeds.When the going got tough check out the guys that left, Rio Ferdinand,Lee Bowyer,Gary Speed,Paul Robinson,Alan Smith,Gary Kelly,Harry Kewell,Jonathan Woodgate,etc.That's how solid that team was.
It can always happen if the basis of growth is not real.Chelsea was 4th,6th etc but Leeds was a very decent team as well.They won the last division one title(before the prem started in 92,did well in Uefa in the 90s and so on yet?
Chelsea was attracting good players then true but with a balanced budget.When you live on credit remember you have to pay someday.Chelsea is living on credit and until you guys start biting only what you can chew, anything is a distinct possibility.
Remember good old Murphy's Law.

WAN UTD
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 5:26pm On Dec 27, 2006
So why would there be a loss benefactor?
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Christino(m): 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2006
@ Manu4life

Why stress yourself, Chelsea supporters won't believe they are flying high due to Roman's Billions and will fall down at a Geometric Proportion if The Billionaire withdraws his support, so leave them to their fantasy but pray with them that Roman continues to support in Cash!

Meanwhile, Smith left for Man U after the relegation. Team spirit was very low immediately the major guys left. Pretty sad how such a huge club could go down within minutes, but if only they had a Billionaire . . . grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by justkunmi(m): 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2006
once upon a billionaire. . . . . grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2006
so thats what u base ur anticipated fall of chelsea on?? U need to do some more, really
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Abdblues(m): 4:14pm On Dec 29, 2006
You guys dont give up do you?
@ MANU4LAIF:I do not know what point you were trying to make with your reference to both blackburn and Leeds united. For blackburn their benefactor was still in charge when they got relegated!(their relegation was largely as a result of the title wining team splitting up- Shearer being the most notable depature). As for leeds united, they simple got lost in their credit!!!Please Chelsea UNLIKE Man U is not running on credit!! We are UNLIKE Man U being funded by Roman's cash and i can confidently tell you that we are in the healthier situation than Man U, M.Glazier borrrowed money to buy Man U and after he had succeded , he transfered the debt to Man U!the club is no longer listed on the stock exchange.Nobody knows what going on their!Nobody knows what the glaziers plans are!!Nobody knows what happens if Old Man Glazer doesnt survive his stroke, But we do know what will happen when the creditors come calling!!!So your worries about Chelsea are kinda misplaced, you should worry more about your club, or perhaps you can shed more light on how we are living on credit?
@Christino: I dont knw what you point is too: It has been said that yeah Romans money gave up more financial power to buy more quality players, but it is definitely not that alone that brought success to chelsea!(Ranieri had the cash too but he could not do it!). Maybe when you have more solid base for your no Roman, No premiership tile, we can discuss again,
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Christino(m): 6:32pm On Dec 29, 2006
@ Abdblues,

Don't forget Roman took over very close to the end of the summer, in fact, Zola had left before the takeover was announced and his contract was not renewed. Ranieri had the cash but the players were not available. See how long it took chelsea to get Shevy, they still can't get Gerrard till date! It's not just about the money but the availability of players. Shortly after the world cup, what do you expect? Transfers here and there and that's what happened. At the end of the day, i believe most of the major players that came in came from the Premiership itself, like Joe Cole, Duff, Veron, Glen and so on. Some first teamers remained, some were benched because it was too sudden, and don't forget, Ranieri has a good history in the Spanish league too. He's not bad at all.

I believe if he was allowed to continue something could have happened. If another coach comes in after Jose, you'll be surprised he would be coming to refine Gold and not mine, because Jose already has the major players on ground. Even at that, Jose is yet to win the Champs league which he did with Porto, a team very low in monetary value of players to Chelsea. His attacking force back then included McCarthy (now with Blackburn) imagine if he had Drogba and Shevy then?

If you have more quality players, the result is "SELECTION HEADACHE" and that's what Roman has done to Mourinho and any coach coming in. If a player is injured, there's a backup player very few premiership players can really equal.If i say no Roman no premiership title and you think i'm lying, why has Chelsea refused to win the league since the premiership, is it because Mourinho's the messiah, or do you think if Scolari comes he won't do more? Okay maybe it's not only the money that has brought the cups but what's been the driving force? First year second, second year first, isnt' that good? Just like what happened in Barca when Ronaldinho and Rijkaard arrived. He booted out fellow dutchmen  loads and loads of stars arrived, in came Deco, Giuly, and later on Eto'o, and in the first year, they came very close to winning the title, the following year they won it and the rest is history, they still got Larsson later on (meanwhile Saviola was still available and his goal scoring record for them pretty impressive too, yet they sent him on loan to Monaco at a time,  . .) They did not stop there this season, despite winning the League and Champs league they still tried to get Henry and finally settled for Gudjohnsen, Thuram and Zambrotta.

Although chelsea had some flops in Kezman and co that were bought during Ranieri's time, but that's not to say Mourinho didn't have his share of flops in DelHorno & co.

Truth is the money is as good as useless if you can't get the players you want at the right time. That was the problem with Ranieri. If Big Sam had a quarter of that money you know what'd become of Bolton today? grin When there's good money and a good manager and available players, you get results. It's like Coaching Brazil grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Abdblues(m): 12:02pm On Dec 30, 2006
@ Christino:
Exactly my point: Money alone doesnt guarantee success, further more : Money +good players alone too does not guarante success and even if you add a good Manager to the kitty, you are still not guaranteed success, so to attribute chelsea's premiership success entirely to Money as you have previously been doing is not justice! Check out Ranieri's signing after Roman:
Glen Johnson: £6m
Wayne Bridge: £7m
Damien Duff: £17m
Geremi: £7m
Juan Sebastian Veron: £15m
Joe Cole: £6.6m
Adrian Mutu £15.8m
Alexei Smertin: £3.45m
Hernan Crespo: £16.8m
Neil Sullivan: £500,000
Claude Makelele: £16m
My point being that he spent almost £120 million pounds and he still could not do it!!which was why he got sacked or are those not quality players
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Akolawole(m): 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2006
@Christino

Thats not the reason why Zola left.

Zola can play in Chelsea for life.

He is Chelsea best foreign player ever.

He told Chelsea he want to go back and play for his village team and chelsea respected that, in fact Roman and Ranieri went back ti Italy to bring him back, he said NO.

He is always in Stamford bridge at least once every month.

Ranieri can never, i repeat never win premiership for Chelsea because of his weakness.
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by kitaun(m): 2:22pm On Dec 30, 2006
Ranieri took Chelsea to UECL semis and that has not been bettered by Mourinho remember? And that is even with the multiples on spendings of Ranieri!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Abdblues(m): 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2006
Not bettered but equalled!!But what about the two premiership titles
Ranieri was brought solely because of the premiership(Vialli was a succes at Chelsea, he won 5 trophies) but Ken Bates still sacked him because he wanted the premiership title and so far for mourinho it is 2/2!!!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by kitaun(m): 3:03pm On Dec 30, 2006
shouldnt Roman be contented then at least out of 2 he's won 2? Forget it! Chelsea aint getting no where this season no UECL, its so obvious that the depth we all thought Chelsea had is a facade, without DD u guys cant score, without Terry you guys must seek 3 goals to win a match!! i will love to see Boa Morte do his thang today!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Akolawole(m): 4:14pm On Dec 30, 2006
kitaun:

shouldnt Roman be contented then at least out of 2 he's won 2? Forget it! Chelsea aint getting no where this season no UECL, its so obvious that the depth we all thought Chelsea had is a facade, without DD u guys can't score, without Terry you guys must seek 3 goals to win a match!! i will love to see Boa Morte do his thang today!

This will be a reference point in may.
Good luck
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by 4Play(m): 6:03pm On Dec 30, 2006
@Akolowale

May I refer you to the 6 point gap we have opened with your Russian play thing-Chelski

U people can keep dreaming,we are on our way to the title!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Akolawole(m): 6:42pm On Dec 30, 2006
@4Play

We shall see grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by bolaoni(m): 11:53pm On Dec 30, 2006
Akola, the fear of Villa is d bgining of wisdom o. Kit got it right, ur so cald depth is FACADE! grin
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by kitaun(m): 12:19am On Dec 31, 2006
Akola, have u noticed that i have been dodgy in talking about my team's chances?? But yet can proudly say u guys have been hit by the concede-2 syndrome!! Like i said d depth most gurus felt u had has come to nought, dispute that?
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by Christino(m): 6:01am On Dec 31, 2006
@ Abd,

As you can see for yourself, but for some changes here and there, Ranieri's team remained the backbone of Chelsea's success in the last 2 seasons. Joe cole's Injury is a minus, and i think the best buy was Makelele to Madrid's detriment.I've explained to you why its hard 2 go far with a team in the first year especially when you need to put them 2gether. Mourinho met a team that was almost getting itself together and worked on them. Ranieri had changed almost the entire team structure by his signings.

Bottomline: he wasn't given a second chance when he could have done much damage!

As for Gianfranco Zola, the "handsome" azzurri was around till the last days of transfer, and Chelsea did not renew his contract and the guy had to look for a back up deal which he agreed to at the last minute. I saw his interview live on Skysports immediately after the takeover.in fact he was disappointed that Chelsea probably felt he was too old to usher the new era in. I guess he was 36 then, so you can see, more reason why they prolly did not want him anymore despite being their top scorer for years. We are talking Billions here and also, not naira grin

Ranieri and Roman going to Italy was to clear their conscience. In fact they should have been arrested! How dare you disturb a player who already has a contract with another club. Is that another tapping "down"?
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 9:07am On Dec 31, 2006
In as much as there is a scare contained in the whole drama, I stil dont see man u taking it. The colors are not bright just yet! The season is still contentible as far as man u with chelsea are concerned; like I said, it is a scare that I think is healthy for the club to still bring in the force neccessary for winning the championship yet again
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by bolaoni(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2006
cabali, leave story, u didn't see us topping after December where are we? Keep Dreamin SIR!
Re: The Fall Of Chelsea by cabali(m): 11:02am On Dec 31, 2006
Dreaming is good! It aint nightmare is it? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is Samuel Eto'o A Monkey? / Westbrom Vs Liverpool (3 - 0) On 18th August 2012 / Manchester United Vs Shakhtar Donetsk, UCL (1 - 0) On 10th December 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.