Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,803 members, 7,837,890 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

1captain's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 1captain's Profile / 1captain's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

Sports / Top Tweets On Appointment Of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer As United’s Full-time Manager by 1captain: 12:41pm On Mar 28, 2019
Yeah!

Ole is officially at the Wheel.

As your darling Students Magazine, we are pleased to inform you that…

After a few months in charge of Manchester United as a caretaker, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has now been appointed as the full-time manager of Manchester United.

But that's not what this post is about.

Here are some of the most creative tweets on the appointment of Ole Gunna Solskjaer as United's full-time manager

[http:///OleUnited] I know you don't like links but you will be glad you clicked on this
Celebrities / Trending: Justin Beiber Takes A Break From Music And Here's Why by 1captain: 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2019
Justin Beiber just announced he would be taking a break from Music to cater to his health and family.

In an Instagram post which he posted on Tuesday, he also mentioned the word “Father”

Should we be expecting maternity news from the Beibers?

Please support us by reading the full gist.

[www.vasiti.com/trending-justin-beiber-takes-a-break-from-music-and-heres-why/]
Romance / Agony Aunt Series: My Boyfriend Mum Dislikes Me Because Of “common Food” by 1captain: 10:51am On Mar 23, 2019
Dear Agony Aunt,

I don’t know if I should go ahead with this relationship because frankly speaking, I don’t have the strength for trouble or stress.

So, I have been dating my boyfriend for over a year now (in fact we live together), and so far we’ve had our ups and downs but we’ve remained loyal to each other.

But one thing that really stirs the boat for us is my laziness to cook.

Seriously speaking, I hate being in the kitchen except there is no alternative which is rarely or the case or I really felt like cooking that day.

This is one issue my boyfriend has complained about and he thinks I’m just being Lazy.

I cannot conman kill myself… after working 9-5 plus Lagos Traffic, trust me the kitchen is the last place on my mind and the weekends are meant for resting although I cook Noodles for him.

So far this issue has not really threatened my relationship but it did recently when bae and I decided to visit his mum.

[https://www.vasiti.com/agony-aunt-series-my-boyfriend-mum-dislikes-me-because-of-common-food/]
Nairaland / General / 41 Things To Say "No" To This New Year by 1captain: 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2019
Saying "No" is sometimes very difficult to say. It is either you are attached to that thing you are meant to say No to or simply can's say "No for fear of hurting somebody.

But trust me when you inculcate the habit of saying No to certain things, your life will be better for it.

Personality
1. Mediocrity

You’re almost always better than you think you are.

“I’d rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocracy” — boldomatic.com

2. Procrastination
Stop thinking, start doing.

“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.” — Marcus Aurelius

3. Talking Shit About Yourself
Be positive. Don’t seek loathing, seek improvement.

“Just remember; someone loves everything you hate about yourself” — Frank Ocean

Continue reading https://www.vasiti.com/41-things-to-say-no-this-new-year/

Sports / 5 POPULAR Reasons Why Jose Mourinho Got Sacked As The Red Devils Boss by 1captain: 5:42am On Dec 21, 2018
It’s no longer news that Manchester United Coach, Jose Mourinho, has been sacked today.

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to you if you’ve been following Manchester United’s performance lately.

Most would say the Portuguese Gaffer had it coming after suffering a couple of embarrassing losses in the English Premier League, with the most recent one being the loss to Liverpool on Sunday and another loss in the Champions League against Valencia.

Before his sack, Jose Mourinho recorded quite a number of victories;

He won the Europa League and League Cup (2016-17) before finishing second in the Premier League last season and reaching the FA Cup final.

But aside all this, there are various speculations about why Jose Mourinho got sacked.

Here are 5 popular reasons why Jose Mourinho got sacked as the Red Devils Boss.
1. United’s Performance
Jose Mourinho Manchester UnitedIt is on record that this season was one of United’s worst start to a season in 28 years. The red devils recorded 7 Wins, 5 draws and 5 Losses. Also, most wins United recorded this season were from behind with the most memorable one being the comeback against Juventus in the Champions League.

Sorry if you hate links, but click here to read the reasons and share your opinions here

https://www.vasiti.com/5-reasons-why-jose-mourihno-was-sacked/https://www.vasiti.com/5-reasons-why-jose-mourihno-was-sacked/

Romance / Re: Campus Conflict - OAU Vs CU Which School Has The Most Beautiful Campus by 1captain: 6:23am On Dec 13, 2018
One thing, I'm not a politician!
Romance / Campus Conflict - OAU Vs CU Which School Has The Most Beautiful Campus by 1captain: 4:36am On Dec 13, 2018
Campus Conflict – OAU Vs CU

OAU
Obafemi Awolowo University is a University in the South West of Nigeria. Established in just after the year of Independence (1961), OAU Didn’t start classes till a year after.

Also, The university is known for a lot of things and controversy is not far from this school.

The students of this School mostly regard themselves as students of all students.

Although the university is a federal owned school, the facilities and environment of the campus is as chilling as it is beautiful.

Notable Alumni from this school are Seun Osewa (founder of Nairaland), Dele Momodu, Lai Mohammed, Femi Otedola, Afeez Oyetoro (SAKA) and a host of others.

Covenant University (CU)
Located in Ota, Ogun State in Nigeria. CU is a privately owned and affiliated with Living Faith Church Worldwide.

The university is also a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.

And also a member of Association of African Universities and National Universities Commission.

Founded in the wake of 2002, CU has many recognitions and facilities that are mind-blowing.

https://www.vasiti.com/campus-conflict-oau-vs-cu-which-school-has-the-most-beautiful-campus/

Nairaland / General / Homosexuality Is An Abnormality By T.I.A by 1captain: 5:00am On Jul 04, 2016
Call this a Homophobic post if you like, it's your problem, not mine.

First, if you are reading this post and you have a religion that believes in a supreme being i.e You are not an Atheist or Scientology follower.

Then , my address to you on the issue of Homosexuality is the Story of Sodom and Gomora.

So if you don't know the story, get a Holy book and read or better still , Google it!

For those that know the story, and are believers in the existence of a supreme being , then you know Homosexuality is Wrong! But if you know this story and you call yourself a believer in GOD and still support Homosexuality! Then you are a hypocrite! Because how can you claim to believe in something and go against it laws or please tell me, where in the Holy Books did you find a believing people who supported Homosexuality! Or which Prophet supported Homosexuality , Please point out!

That's done and now to the heart of the article.

This article is basically for the Atheist and the others.

Let make certain things clear, am not writing this to change your opinion( to each with his own) but am just sharing my opinion. That's all. No bad Blood.

First on the issue of Homosexuality, let's look at the topic of Animal Comparison and Reason:

As anAtheist or Scientologist , you believe in hard facts and empiricalism and not to forget a big fan of evolution!

Now , you guys believe in the conjecture that a Big Hot Ball burst open and formed the Universe! Where or Who created that Big Ball?

That aside, so going by your theory, the Big Bang created the earth and from there the process of Evolution began, man evolved , animals evolved. And nature came to Life.

So from the beginning of the evolutionary process, as there been any sign of " being" apart from Humans whereby same-sex copulate or need each other to reproduce?

Now let's move closer to the only beings on earth similar to Humans which are the animals.

Infact man is an animal but is regarded as a higher animal because of it's ability to reason.

Apart from reason, animals have instincts, feelings, and experience every other thing man does, but this animal unlike man are unable to differentiate Good from Bad, right from Wrong( except the tamed ones though) .
There is no animal that is Homosexual! Why is Man? Is man indeed the higher animal?

Because how can Man with all the reason unable to justify what is wrong from Right?

Animals who are lower beings have not evolved that low to imbibe Homosexuality into their nature.

Why is this so? Because nothing in nature Supports such , although man countless times has tried to manipulate nature but as we have seen in many cases, Nature has always emerged the winner in most contest with Humans.

Be Gay all you like, You can never truly change your nature.

Besides, why are you tackling those who are against this absurdity!

Manny Pacquiao said Gays are less than animals"

The Boxer said his mind, and he got penalised for it. So much for freedom of expression! Gay is a common noun! Muslims is a common noun, and yet Donald Trump insults them, who penalised him?

So tell me what is the Justification for Homosexuality?

Is it because you feel the urge to act like the opposite sex? Or you enjoy being and acting like the opposite sex?
Or are you one of those , who equate the feeling of love with the feeling you get when you feel the urge to be like the other sex?
Or do you justify it based on the fact that it's your freedom, and you can misuse the way you want so long it does not infringe on the rights of others?

Seriously I don't know any other justification! That can make sense that could make Homosexuality right?
Or are you one of those whose reply to the above is simply " I don't have to answer to you on whether it's right or not but it feels rights within me?

Hmm, Serial Killers have the urge to kill and love to Kill! Why is that wrong? Because they are infringing on other's people right to life but however if we look at the act itself . The urge a serial killer has is the same thing a homosexual has, the argument is the same, it feels right to them. In fact, they feel at ease and comfortable when they kill! They gain utmost pleasure.
A cocaine addict enjoys cocaine, and in fact is not infringing on any body's right, they are simply using their freedom to do what they love because their being feels good with it, why then is cocaine addicts and sellers tagged as Bad?
Urge/Need is the issue here, we all have urges , animals do too, when they have the urge to eat, they Kill and eat. It's their nature . Only man thinks it's bad because man has the reason which is able to communicate and help him control and manage his urge.
A nymphomaniac has the urge to have sex all the time, a shopaholic , an Acholic drinks a lot, you take him to rehab because he can no longer manage the urge to drink? The same applies to a coke addict!
These have been tagged bad because they can't control their urge , why are gays and Homosexuals not recommended to visit rehabs, due to their inability to control an alien urge in them?
Maybe because by letting the urge take over them, they are not doing any wrong unlike a coke or alcohol addict who will ruin himself or affect those around him.

Yes, it might not affect gays currently but when you change nature by changing the parts nature has adorned on a man/ woman to a woman/ man , it will sooner or later fight back as the male system is different from the female system , so when you change a few part of a male to a woman's own, that does not mean you changed the real system. You have only re-modified the body
Maybe when Humans start creating real Humans, then we can talk about justifying "Transgenderism"

Man can even create Semen artificially, and that is the most basic thing that evolves to create man! How do you think you were born? Somebody slept with someone to produce you, if your parents were gay , you will never dream of even seeing earth? Even if you hate children, and hate sex, try to get help rather than accepting an "abnormality" as "way of life"

So your urges need to be controlled not entertained.

1 Share

Politics / Western Government Know About The Whereabout Of Chibok Girls by 1captain: 5:30am On Mar 21, 2016
Western governments knew the whereabouts of 80 Nigerian girls kidnapped by Boko Haram but failed to launch a rescue mission for them, Sunday Times of London has reported.

According to the report, videos of the girls have emerged where they were being used as sex slaves.

It stated that the United States and the United Kingdom’s surveillance discovered the location of the girls, but did not rescue them.

Terrorists stormed a secondary boarding school in the remote town of Chibok in Borno State, northern Nigeria in April 2014, and seized 276 girls who were preparing for end-of-year exams.

Although 57 of the girls managed to escape, the rest have remained missing and have not been heard from or seen since apart from in May that year, when 130 of them appeared in a Boko Haram vidoe wearing hijab and reciting the Quran.

Dr. Andrew Pocock, the former British High Commissioner to Nigeria, has now revealed that a large group of the missing girls were spotted by British and American surveillance officials shortly after their disappearance, but that experts felt nothing could be done.

He told The Sunday Times that Western governments felt ‘powerless’ to help as any rescue attempt would have been too high risk – with Boko Haram terrorists using the girls as human shields.

Pocock said, “A couple of months after the kidnapping, fly-bys and an American eye in the sky spotted a group of up to 80 girls in a particular spot in the Sambisa Forest, around a very large tree, called locally the Tree of Life, along with evidence of vehicular movement and a large encampment.’

He said the girls were there for at least four weeks but authorities were ‘powerless’ to intervene – and the Nigerian government did not ask for help anyway.

He said, “A land-based attack would have been seen coming miles away and the girls killed, an air-based rescue, such as flying in helicopters or Hercules, would have required large numbers and meant a significant risk to the rescuers and even more so to the girls.”

Pocock said a large group of the missing girls were spotted by British and American surveillance officials shortly after their disappearance

He added, “You might have rescued a few but many would have been killed. My personal fear was always about the girls not in that encampment — 80 were there, but 250 were taken, so the bulk were not there. What would have happened to them? You were damned if you do and damned if you don’t.’

1 Share

Nairaland / General / Sambisa Forest Is As Big As Enugu State - Burutai by 1captain: 6:45am On Mar 18, 2016
The Nigerian Chief of Army Staff on thursday revealed that Boko Haram enclave, Sambisa forest, is the main reason why the army is yet to dislodge the insurgents.

Buratai stated that: “We are already in Sambisa forest. But Sambisa is as big as Enugu State which needs thorough planning for logistics and other manpower needed.”

“That accounts for the delay. In flushing out the insurgents. The alleged incident of killing of MASSOB, IPOB members by the Army in Aba will be investigated.”

“Since my appointment,we have set out to build a professionally responsible Army in the discharge of its constitutional role which is the result of what we are seeing today. We have taken steps to ensure that education within the Army is paramount to ensure that troops operate within the rules of engagement.”

The disclosure was made by the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Tukur Buratai during a familiarization tour of 82 Division, Enugu state on Thursday where he disclosed that an investigative panel has been set up to investigate the alleged killing of unarmed pro-Biafra protesters in Aba, Abia state.

The protesters, members of secessionist groups, Movement for the Actualization of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) and the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), were reportedly shot at- while they protested the continued detention of their embattled leader, Nnamdi Kanu.
[www.1creekblog.com]

Nairaland / General / Breaking News : 22 Killed In Boko Haram Attack In Maiduguri by 1captain: 10:38am On Mar 16, 2016
A suspected Boko Haram suicide bomb attack has killed at least 22 Muslim worshippers at a mosque in Maiduguri in north-east Nigeria.

Rescue officials said two female suicide bombers were believed to have carried out the attack, which saw 17 other people injured.

One bomber blew herself up inside the mosque and the second did so outside as survivors of the first blast tried to flee.

Co-ordinator Abba Aji, of the civilian self-defence Vigilante Group, said the mosque is in Umarari on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the command centre for the Nigerian army's military campaign against the Boko Haram group.

The insurgency is known for its use of female suicide bombers, and several suicide bombers have blown themselves up in recent months at roadblocks into the city.

Courtesy : 1Creek

1 Share

Politics / #day2 : Times Of Buhari by 1captain: 7:26am On Mar 12, 2016
#Day2
Yes! Nepa restored the power today for a few hours, although it’s better than having nothing at all.
The dollar to the Naira is still 198(interbank rates) and still over 300 at the parallel market.
The fuel scarcity or rather hike in fuel price still remains.
However as it is Friday, I visited religious places, and at one particular site.
The cleric who happens to be a buhari fan( I later discovered) brought a full towel to the pundit.
I mean the type of towel you normally use after taking your bath.
The guy was practically dripping, almost like it was raining.
To the main issue, so while the cleric was about to conclude his sermon, he touched on the times of Buhari.
How things have been and how people have been complaining.
Instead of the critique of the government, the cleric opined that people and Nigerians should pray for buhari stating that there was bound to be hard times at the initial stage of changing a system.
Do you agree?
Also, I found out that the bread sellers also went on strike, the agege-bread sellers I mean.
Although as at the time of this article, the strike is said to have been called off.
So the buhari times continue, and currently there is no light.
Hopefully we don’t have to wait days before it is restored.
Meanwhile in the news, PENGASSAN were reported to have said, that the strike was not over but suspended.
So, hopefully this might douse the criticality of the current situation and hopefully the government will able to do something about it.
See you on Saturday!
Check previous post for #Day1

1 Share

Nairaland / General / #day1 : The Times Of Buhari By T.I.A by 1captain: 10:31am On Mar 11, 2016
Day 1 This is tagged Day 1, because this is the first record of experiences Nigerians are currently undergoing and it is the first edition. So today marks the fourth day since have seen light (electricity), have not a glimpse of it. Today petrol sold for #120 per liter in many areas, and according to what I hear this is rather cheap compared to other places where the product is sold. The dollar to the naira at the Inter bank exchange is 199 to the dollar and the parallel market ( the abokis a.k.a money changers) it is still over 300.

A bag of pure water sells from #200 or #150and even you are lucky enough , you get it for #120 and by virtue of this, the sachet water which was formerly sold for #5 per piece has now become permanent at #10 a piece and even #20 a piece in some places. Water itself has become an expensive commodity, as the abokis who fetch water have increased the price to #300 from #250 The major chant by the market seller and many other trades even the locust bean seller to the orange seller, is the dollar has become scarce and so by virtue of that, things have to become expensive. Food commodities have now become gold in our homes, nobody dares eats with two pieces of meat now, except he is satisfied he is never going to get to taste beef till the next week.

What is your experience?

More on [1creekblog.com]

1 Share

Politics / 40 Killed In Benue As Fulani Herdsmen Attack by 1captain: 8:24am On Mar 10, 2016
Reports suggest that 40 people have been killed, following an extended attack by Fulani herdsmen on Thursday, March 3.

Breaking Times reports that nine villages in the homestead of former governor of the Benue state, Dr Gabriel Suswam, were attacked by the cattle rustlers.

Sources reveal that many people were wounded, while several houses as well as farm produce were burnt to ashes. There are also claims that hordes of other people are still missing just as the entire community has been deserted. The recent attack by the cattle rustlers comes barely 10 days after the rustlers invaded the densely populated Ukemberagya community in Logo Local Government Area killing one person. Trouble allegedly began when the Fulani herdsmen drove their cattle for grazing on the compound of one Mr Orvesen of Tswarev community last Thursday. It was gathered that attempts by the Tiv villagers to drive the cows out of the compound was resisted by the herders who insisted on feeding their animals on the dried cassava. The herders refusal to leave sparked off a sharp disagreement between the two parties and the situation degenerated into a bloody clash. Meanwhile, there are claims that the atrocities committed in various agrarian communities in Nigeria by alleged Fulani herdsmen, is a new ploy by Boko Haram insurgents. Senator Emmanuel Bwacha representing Taraba south senatorial district made the disclosure in a motion titled the need to urgently flush out Boko Haram insurgents re-assembling in Taraba and halt the ongoing silent genocide in the state. In the motion presented on Wednesday, March 9, Senator Bwacha who noted that in Taraba state over 2000 people have been killed by fulani herdsmen since December 2015, informed that the jihadist now parade themselves as herdsmen to make it more difficult for the unsuspecting public to identify them.

#1creek
Nairaland / General / Tijani Babangida Tips Siasia To Success by 1captain: 9:29am On Mar 06, 2016
Ex-International Tijani Babangida has tipped the current interim coach Samson Siasia to succeed with the players he invited.

Tijani Babangida The former Super Eagles assistant coach said Siasia’s familiarity with most of the players will help him in to achieve success. He noted that more than 75 per cent of the players have worked with him at U-20 and U-23 level before graduating in the senior national team.

“The only thing is that a few of the invited players have not worked with Siasia before but 75 to 80 per cent of the boys have worked him at the U-23 level.

“It won’t affect the system that Siasia is going to adopt into the team so I do not believe that time is short,” he said.

Coach Samson Siasia Babangida was personal assistant to former Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh who resigned at the end of February and was subsequently replaced by Siasia who is managing the team in an interim capacity.
Nairaland / General / Militants Invade Lagos, Rate Of Kidnapping On The Rise by 1captain: 10:17am On Mar 05, 2016
Militiamen as well as ex-militants have invaded Lagos and are blamed for the rise in cases of kidnappings, robberies and other criminal activities in the state, according to intelligence reports from the police.

Sources in the police and the Department of State Services (DSS) told the Punch that there are strong indications that some of the ex-militants are responsible for the recent upsurge of crime rate in the state after they lost their source of livelihood when President Muhammadu Buhari cancelled their pipeline protection contracts.

The invasion by the ex-militants in Lagos is posing challenges to the police and other security agencies who are finding it difficult to control the proliferation of firearms in the possession of the renegade militiamen who have now turned to kidnapping and robberies as an alternative to make easy money.

“Since abduction seems to be profitable and less risky, jobless ex-militants and militia group members seem to have found a lucrative business in the kidnapping of hapless citizens,” a senior DSS official said.

Courtesy: 1creek

1 Share

Education / We Are Not Paying Unemployed Youths #5,000- FG by 1captain: 9:32am On Mar 05, 2016
“The budget for 2016 which has been submitted to the National Assembly has made an allocation of half a trillion naira, the first time in the history of this country’s budget where you have that huge chunk of money allocated for social investment. In that N500bn, close to about 10 per cent of the entire budget, there are six social safety net programmes.”

“One of them is the Conditional Cash Transfer where government is going to pay N5,000 monthly to the vulnerable and extremely poor Nigerians. That promise stands.”

“The President never promised to pay unemployed graduates N5,000; the President never made that promise and the government never made that claim that it would pay N5,000 to unemployed graduates.”

“The programme for unemployed graduates is the direct creation of half a million teaching jobs so that they will be trained; 500, 000 unemployed graduates will be trained to teach and they will be deployed to teach, while they are looking for their career paths or jobs. That still stands.”

“In addition to that, there is also a scheme to train 370, 000 non-graduate youths for skill acquisition and vocational training. During the time of that training, they will also be paid. So, the President did not say that he would be giving unemployed graduates N5, 000.”

More on [www.1creekblog.com] or reply if you would like us to post our whole articles here.

1 Share

Education / Ibadan Poly Shutdown As Students Protest ICT And Insurance Fees by 1captain: 7:01am On Mar 02, 2016
The management of The Polytechnic, Ibadan, has directed students of the institution to proceed on a two-week compulsory break with immediate effect .

The directive followed a protest embarked upon by students of the institution, which brought academic activities to a halt on Tuesday. In a statement issued by the institution's Registrar, Mr Hezekiah Fehintola in Ibadan on Tuesday, the directive became effective immediately and students should resume on March 13, 2016.

The statement noted that "the misunderstanding between the leadership of the polytechnic and the students over students’ union policy halted the activities of the institution. "Consequently, the management has to appraise the situation. Halls of residence will be opened on Sunday, March 13, 2016, while academic activities will resume on Monday, March 14, 2016. "Parents and Guardians are directed to monitor their wards during the break,” the statement said. The students were protesting over the introduction of insurance and ICT fees introduced by the students’ union of the institution. The students accused the President of the union, Mr Tosin Esho, of being the brain behind the fees and insisted that they would not pay the fees because it had no immediate benefit to them.

1 Share

Politics / Growing Up In Nigeria By Toyyib by 1captain: 5:51pm On Mar 01, 2016
Hi all. I am Toyyib. I am the first child in a family of seven. My parents are civil servants. I grew up in Akure. Akure is a small University town in the South West Region. That meant we had fewer amenities than the urban cities. What this show I think is growing up meant I had my challenges has is true for others.

My street is a close knit one, typical culture in the rural areas. Your neighbor knows you, could scold, punish or ask something of you.

My peers on the other hand were my playing mates. We played football, share novels, ideas and imagination.

This afforded me to have people to share the moments with, share burden with, the good, the bad, the ugly. Although I rarely play football these days, when I do I enjoy the moments. The connections that come with relating with people.

Today, I am a graduate, a passionate writer and a believer in a better and fairer morrow. Connecting with people is when I meet with them, talk to them, see light in what they have written, listen to them and other means. So these days what I do is to observe, analyse and think about solutions to our various problems – bad infrastructure, bad governance, dwindling economy, poor education and a host of others.

What is more interesting is our unrelenting attitude. We strive despite the government rather than because of it. We labour to go to school, we push the limit to get our dreams and goals.

We cannot stop. The next option is becoming a thug, a tomato seller, a cab driver. No one wants that life. I think that is the singular reason why we push. The hope for a better tomorrow, a better future, a better life. One in which we envision having a family, shelter, food on the table and other goodies of life. In the end we won’t stop. We won’t relent. We’ll keep pushing, we won’t settle till we’ve achieved our dreams.

Thanks.

Education / My Experience In A Public Secondary School By Tolu by 1captain: 5:03am On Mar 01, 2016
My visit to a public secondary school as a classroom instructor was an experience I would not forget in a while as the experience was largely different from my experience in secondary school which was although private, was located in a “ghetto” but I learnt to speak good English and our classrooms were not overcrowded, so I always thought this same system applied to all other schools until I was transferred to a secondary school for my teaching practice. My experience was totally different.

When I got to this public school which was located in the Ojo area of Lagos, I marveled at how the educational system had deteriorated. On my entry into the school compound, I was transported into a world of noise and heat, and when I was assigned to the junior class which I was supposed to teach for 6 weeks. I got the shock of my life.

The class I was to teach comprised of over 80 students with the classroom not having any windows and having only 20 benches for over 80 students, which meant the others had to seat on the floor while others sat down in wardrobe-looking things.

The class was very stuffy that afternoon and the bodily heat emanating from the class was stifling, I almost choked.

Full story , Now on [www.1creekblog.com]

1 Share

Nairaland / General / Growing Up In Nigeria By Toyyib by 1captain: 8:07am On Feb 29, 2016
Hi all. I am Toyyib. I am the first child in a family of seven. My parents are civil servants. I grew up in Akure. Akure is a small University town in the South West Region. That meant we had fewer amenities than the urban cities. What this show I think is growing up meant I had my challenges has is true for others.

My street is a close knit one, typical culture in the rural areas. Your neighbor knows you, could scold, punish or ask something of you.

My peers on the other hand were my playing mates. We played football, share novels, ideas and imagination.

This afforded me to have people to share the moments with, share burden with, the good, the bad, the ugly. Although I rarely play football these days, when I do I enjoy the moments. The connections that come with relating with people.

Today, I am a graduate, a passionate writer and a believer in a better and fairer morrow. Connecting with people is when I meet with them, talk to them, see light in what they have written, listen to them and other means. So these days what I do is to observe, analyse and think about solutions to our various problems – bad infrastructure, bad governance, dwindling economy, poor education and a host of others.

What is more interesting is our unrelenting attitude. We strive despite the government rather than because of it. We labour to go to school, we push the limit to get our dreams and goals.

We cannot stop. The next option is becoming a thug, a tomato seller, a cab driver. No one wants that life. I think that is the singular reason why we push. The hope for a better tomorrow, a better future, a better life. One in which we envision having a family, shelter, food on the table and other goodies of life. In the end we won’t stop. We won’t relent. We’ll keep pushing, we won’t settle till we’ve achieved our dreams.

Thanks.
Nairaland / General / Linda Ikeji Is Not A Blogger By T.I.A by 1captain: 5:43am On Feb 15, 2016
This is not an attention-seeking piece, and if you don't believe, the choice is yours but have had to point this out a long time.

I checked, and still it did not fit.

@Linda Ikeji! You all know her , don't you?

In case you don't know she is nigeria's no 1 blogger and a successful one at that.

So you see the more reason , some will regard this post as attention-seeking.

That's by the way.

Back to the issue.

First, what is blogging?

Blogging is practically a platform which serves as an extension of your personal self especially if you have got the writing flare.

Blogging is meant to showcase happening in your personal life , if it's niche is lifestyle. Also it may showcase articles on different issues depending on the niche you pick. Even at that, there should be a feeling of informality surrounding it. However, blogging has for a long time turned from just a showcase of our personal lives and lifestyle to a full-time news reporting platform.

Even this platform am writing on is exactly following this trend, and I don't blame them, they can't help but follow the same trend.

So accepted, blogging nowadays means news reporting, rumour spreading etc.

You get it all on the blogs.

There are over 6,000,000 blogs in the world today, so the competition is really very tough but Nigeria's Linda ikeji's has managed for the past 8 years to overcome that competition by staying at the top of the table in Africa at least.

Why then is she is not a blogger?

Given my experience with bloggers, I manage to know there are some things involved in this dynamic world of blogging.

For your blog to be considered as a standard blog and a quality one.

Social media experts state the following. 1, SEO 2, Content.

More on [1creekblog.com]

1 Share

Politics / Re: Is Muritala Ramat Muhammad Worth Celebrating? by 1captain: 10:32am On Feb 14, 2016
True talk!
WhoRUDeceiving:
Obviously he was killed because among the military thugs and illiterates that allowed Oyibo to deceive them and their people, MM posed somewhat a threat to the corporate interest of the Western Banks and powers, similar to Aguiyi Ironisi, or even Sankara of Burkina Faso, that was not in the master plan, (and even more obvious the Biafran struggle in 1967)

Unfortunately, we Africans have a tendency of romancing with the former( and current) Western and Arab powers and our own military personnel that have for the most part, caused undeniable hardship on the children of Africa.

Politics / Is Muritala Ramat Muhammad Worth Celebrating? by 1captain: 7:26am On Feb 14, 2016
As a kid, the name Muritala Mohammed when remembered is connected with times when Nigeria was filled with “milk and honey” but never lasted long due to his assassination by Colonel Dimka. Another name I came to hate as a child because he was the villain who ended Nigeria’s reign of bliss and progress. So was my thinking as a child but then I heard the same story in secondary school.

Then I gained admission into the University, then I was introduced to this hero of my childhood in foreign policy class which was my favorite class.

According to the lecturers and the book I read on Nigeria’s foreign policy, the era of Muritala Mohammed was regarded as the “Golden Era of Nigeria’s Foreign Policy” because this hero of my childhood was a force to reckon in international politics;

Muritala muhammed helped the south Africans(ANC) on the issue of apartheid, Fought against external intervention in Angola’s leadership crisis, and my favorite part of his reign in foreign politics was his speech at an OAU meeting on 3rd of January 1976 where he stated the need for Africa to stand as a force to be reckoned with not a periphery continent to stomped and dictated upon by the Core and so –called powerful state.

The speech by Muritala Mohammed “Mr Chairman, when I contemplate the evils of apartheid, my heart bleeds and I am sure the heart of every true blooded African bleeds. . . Rather than join hands with the forces fighting for self-determination and against racism and apartheid, the United States policy makers clearly decided that it was in the best interests of their country to maintain white supremacy and minority regimes in Africa. Africa has come of age. It’s no longer under the orbit of any extra continental power. It should no longer take orders from any country, however powerful. The fortunes of Africa are in our hands to make or to mar. For too long have we been kicked around; for too long have we been treated like adolescents who cannot discern their interests and act accordingly. For too long has it been presumed that the African needs outside ‘experts’ to tell him who are his friends and who are his enemies. The time has come when we should make it clear that we can decide for ourselves; that we know our own interests and how to protect those interests; that we are capable of resolving African problems without presumptuous lessons in ideological dangers which, more often than not, have no relevance for us, nor for the problem at hand. Muritala Ramat Muhammed was my Hero, and I always relished those day he ruled but then I read Chinua Achebe’s “there was a country”. Then the doubts started to creep in! During the civil war started which fully kicked off in 1967 , Muritala muhammed controlled one of the battalions and was responsible for various Massacres like Asaba, Onitsha massacre where kids and women were slaughtered without mercy. Achebe’s story painted this hero in a new light; he was a devil who tried to reform himself after the war. I let Achebe’s narrative get to me because the story was written in such a way that a lay man would write If given the chance, to narrate what happened from 1967-1970. Today marks 40 years since his assassination and doubts creep into my mind , whether to celebrate this man who as a soldier killed hundreds of kids who could have made this nation better, even better than his own golden reign or celebrate him for what he did within 9 months of his service. Is Muritala Ramat Muhammad worth celebrating?
courtesy [1creekblog.com]

1 Share

Nairaland / General / The Boy Who Hawked By T.I.A ( A Plea Against Child- Hawking In Nigeria) by 1captain: 11:03am On Feb 13, 2016
The young boy comes back from the community high school in his area, and on getting home, he changes into his play clothes, on his way to play , doesn't bother to read as there is nothing to read because he has only one book for 5 subjects and he can barely hear the teacher's instruction in a class of 105.

So he sets out to play, but his mama calls him back, orders him to go carry his "tray". His mood changes, and he feels tired already but without question, he goes in to carry his "tray".

His mother fills his tray with wares which he supposed to sell in the streets and in traffic.

So the little boy of 10 sets out with his tray.

He is seen in the traffic with the same play clothes he planned on using to have fun with his friends some minutes ago.

The boy runs back and forth as he is called by people stuck in traffic.

After running for minutes, his little legs are tired because of the multi-task that has been assigned on it's young growth at that stage.

The boy hears somebody whistle, he sharpely looks in the direction but his attention was not needed.

Still he stands in the traffic, calling out to people to buy his product, and suprisingly nobody hears the little voice , for the voice of the boy for the onlookers stuck in traffic was no different from the voices of other bigger hustlers/hawkers marketing their wares.

The boy continues to stand, he had been moving for hours, so he stands with one hand he holds his wares, with another he stands akimbo, for he could not sit as he was to sell everything in his "tray" before he left for home.

Still he waited, and once again, he is called by someone in a fine car in traffic, who does not spare him a second look, just buys his product, then moves on with the now-moving traffic.

It is already evening and the boy still waits with his tray with the hope of selling his goods, and then he is called again, the tempo of traffic was reducing as it was moving rather steadily.

He sells to the man in the bus, he gives the man the change and the product but before he could collect his money, the driver of the bus the man was in had seen an opening in the traffic, so he took the opportunity and sped off.

The boy was stunned at first, then the tears begins to trickle down his face, the one question that harped on his mind was, What was he going to tell his mother?

What were they going to eat?

Hello, ladies and gents, I hope you enjoyed the story and now to the issue of child hawking which until now has continued to be almost a part of our everyday life in Nigeria.

We see these little children within the age of 4- 14 everyday on the road , on our way to work, to parties, in the traffic jam etc selling all sorts of things not fearing the hazards that is connected with being on such roads and even with nobody to tell them.

If somebody told them, will they listen?

No , because for these children, their hawking is a means of survival for them and their families.

For them, that hawking was a job just like the ones you and I have, but theirs is far more competitive and life threatening with little or no benefits (not to talk of added benefits).

Child hawking is an indicator of one thing, "There is poverty in the land" and there is nothing being done about it.

We have heard and see different NGos come up but these organisations are a bunch of gold digging, fame -seeking, cheating scums who only seek to be known by government and the people but meanwhile they have done nothing other than bear a name.

While those who alledged that they have done something, do so in the confines of their rich environment.

There are only few, who seek to take these children off the road, and as much as they try they cannot completely eradicate this situation as they constrained by many factors.

So the question is how do we end poverty in our lands?

How do we stop Child-hawking?

On a final note, this is my comment on what should be done;

The government should institue a ministry to take charge of these situations across the different states in Nigeria with the help of ministries in each of the state.

A monthly/weekly report should be submitted every week to know how much job has been done.

Before that, there should be a full investigation on the issue , from which a report on how the job of eradicating the menance will be formed.

Share this

1 Share

Science/Technology / 5 Ways Technology Has Changed Love by 1captain: 6:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
Before the grand entry of technology, love was solely reliant on the efforts of both parties making it work. Writing love letters, and travelling long distances just to see your partner was the norm. However, with technology comes change and with this evolution, a myriad of positive and unhealthy habits with it. So what are the ways technology is changing the way people love? Jovago.com highlights five of these.

Make Long Distance Relationship (LDR) work Many people are in a long distance relationship, thanks to technology. At present, there are various platforms for lovers to keep in touch and interestingly, and with these platforms becoming relatively affordable most sincere relationships can survive the test of time.

Breakup made easy Since technology creates a wider platform to meet people, very few people are willing to remain in crappy and unhappy relationships. They know if they breakup, in the next few months, they are chatting with another potential lover on Facebook. Many are taking online meetings to offline and converting them into loving relationships. Notwithstanding the risk, people still engage in it.

More on #1Creek

1 Share

Romance / Re: 6 Weird Things Men Do Before Valentine by 1captain: 6:15pm On Feb 11, 2016
brandnew3:

True talk. cool
loool
Romance / 6 Weird Things Men Do Before Valentine by 1captain: 5:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
February is the month of Love! Everyone should be excited and look forward to making it a special and unforgettable day for their spouses. However, for some people, it's a disaster waiting to happen. These individuals evolve different tactics to ensure that they avoid taking their spouse shopping or giving them a luxurious treat at a five-star hotel in Lagos.

If you are a lady with your heart setting on celebrating Valentine’s Day but aren’t sure whether your man is cut out for it, Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal shines the light on some signs to watch out for.

Valentine

Finds fault in everything you do

He compliments your cooking, tells you how beautiful you are, allows you to pass the night at the weekend and doesn’t mind where you keep your things. If however, he abruptly turns the corner and make you feel like a stranger, your sixth sense should tell you that he wants to get rid of you before that special day.

Stops calling you

On a daily basis, he could call you as many times as possible. He doesn’t miss that opportunity to blow you a good night kiss. But, a few days to Val, you wait forever for the kiss but it never comes. In the morning, you call him but he struggles to pick or he laments about you interrupting his sleep and unexpectedly ends the call. Honey, your valentine treat is hanging in the balance.

See the full list on [www.1creekblog.com] to know what to do before valentine

1 Share

Politics / Buhari Must Do Something By T.I.A by 1captain: 7:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
The quote that says “preach the need for change , but never reform too much at once” applies to Nigerian president, Muhammdu Buhari whose election on April 11 can be considered as nothing more than historic as an incumbent for the first time in the history of the country seceded power to a new person. So along with this historical significance, his election was coupled with hope, hope that he was the messiah, at least if not the messiah, there was the hope that he would be able to change certain things that were prevalent in Nigeria. Buhari was the hope of the Nigerians for a better Nigeria. So a few days ago, I was talking to a friend of mine, about Buhari taking too long to implement any major change which he promised. The friend replied, we should give him time, and if he is unable to do anything at least he should recover all the monies laundered by corrupt politicians. Is that enough? Should president Buhari just recover all monies stolen for the next four years and not the do any other major project. To be frank, Nigerians are expecting way too much from the over seventy-year old man, but that is not exactly a factor because a younger man did it, see where he got us but that does not dismiss the fact that Nigeria has been in constant economic turmoil for the past 9 months since his reign. It’s a fact! There has been fuel scarcity, the dollar to the Nair exchange is nothing to write home about, No electrical power supply, Boko Haram which should have seized to exist since December recently struck an area in Maiduguri killing over 100 people, the Shiite crisis. Am not saying the man is a bringer of evil- tidings, although the wailers would want me to say that, but I must say, Buhari needs to do something because patience is not something Nigerians have. Hope is the only tiny string holding the belief, the Nigerians have in their president and currently there is strain on it as men of the underworld whose friends “yansh”(buttocks) he has exposed are trying to make him look effortless. Which is where the quote comes in, Buhari cannot deal with the problems of corruption, infrastructure , economy , education all at once, which in my opinion is what is manifesto stated and what Nigerians are actually clamouring for. And that was the mistake, but you might say the manifesto of a politician is not exactly what it seems in reality especially the case of African nations. They state anything in the manifesto inorder to outwit their opponents and Nigerians at the time needed change and he preached exactly what they wanted to hear. In fact, Nigerians expected Nigeria to be filled with honey and milk on Buhari’s entry while some never expected to be rosy but they expected him to atleast execute certain major plans in his first year of ruling the nation. Although it’s not a year yet, but in three months time, it will be and that string of hope would begin to slack if he does not start to execute his plans. There is an Africa proverb that says, he who hurries to eat the hot soup, will appreciate the laws of patience when the consequence of his action hit him. Also a saying goes thus, delay is dangerous. Buhari should begin to implement those ideas , give us a snippet on what’s to come, feed Nigerians appetite of hope, let them dream about what is to come. Don’t just keep Nigerians in the dark and risk falling from their grace. President Buhari do something now!

1 Share

NYSC / Re: NYSC 2016 Batch A Corp Members House by 1captain: 12:06pm On Feb 07, 2016
Please try to also read, before leaving for camp; The Final corper's tale: https://www.nairaland.com/2910536/fina-tale-corper-t.i.a
It is a must read.After reading share and drop your recommendations

1 Share

NYSC / Corper's Hangout With Mc Rheloh ! Live In Imo by 1captain: 11:50am On Feb 07, 2016
Yaaay! Corpers weeee ! Today is the d-day for all corpers who are currentky serving in the Eastern Heartland of Imo state, because today promises to be all fun , all jokes and all camp memories as corpers will assemble to meet Mc Rheloh for the event titled " Corper's Hangout".
Trust me! you don't wanna miss this.
It's going to be craaaaaaaay!
Be there ! For Enquiries : please contact 08062208426 09056924963 08024097983 bb pin ; 56674FC8

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (of 3 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.