Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,087 members, 7,818,262 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions (28099 Views)

El-Rufai Abolishes Admission Fees In State Owned Tertiary Institutions / FG To Sell Four State-owned Refineries Next Year / Delta To Introduce Automated Fare Collection In State-owned Buses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 17, 2014
please where is t n b restaurant dat is under the mango tree, usen is now a ghost town..... even yuwa bar is crying for oshobaba grin
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by philips70(m): 11:26am On Nov 17, 2014
Oshiomhole: Six Years After
ON November 12, 2008, Adams Eric Aliyu Oshiomhole, was sworn in as Governor of Edo State. It was a special moment for the state and its people for several reasons. Remarkably, it was the culmination of the resilience of the people, who voted and stood by him when anti-democratic forces tried to rob him of the mandate they gave willingly to him, and the judiciary that resisted machinations of the powers-that-be to give a verdict in favour of a popular choice.
The nation became better for it as the judiciary stood resolute on the side of the people. In addition, it was a turning point for the entire state as it marked the beginning of what is now popularly referred to as the ‘new narrative’.
While making the solemn pledge to turn the state around like never before, he underscored his desire to be a people’s governor by seeking their consent to be referred to as “Comrade- Governor.”
Uniquely, his pledge was an unambiguous desire to give the state a fresh breath in terms of people-oriented, physically verifiable development projects that will stand the test of time. The pledge became necessary because the supposedly democratic administrations before him ruined and wrecked the state economy without any attempt to upgrade basic public infrastructure on the pretext that the state had no money.
A few years into his administration, Oshiomhole eroded the ‘no-money’ myth by proving to be a man of his words. Decades after the historic performance left by Dr Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia, who, as military administrator of old Bendel State, left a telling record of infrastructural development, Oshiomhole recreated that long gone era as structures, after hope-rising structures began to fill available spaces in all the nooks and crannies of the state. It was not a surprise that the people decided to give a unanimous second term endorsement in all 18 local government areas despite subterranean sabotage by those put to shame by his performance.
Importantly, Oshiomhole was not given an unassailable second term approval by the people on flimsy grounds. Between his inauguration and the end of his first term, they witnessed an unprecedented, self-evident and widespread development projects spread across every sector, including economy, education, works, health, environment/public utilities, etc, in every senatorial zone, every local government area and every town. With him, the people became convinced that the state had truly become a very positive new narrative.
Before the coming of his administration, Edo State economy was in ruins. Though oil revenue was high, the greater part of whatever accrued from it found its way into the pockets of those elected by the people. It didn’t matter to them that the people they represented suffered. For instance, roads and public schools became so wrecked that an urgent surgical revival was needed to avert total collapse. Midway into the administration, roads in the city centre, including Akpakpava, Five Junction, Mission, Airport, Sapele roads, etc, became self-evident proofs that the administration meant business. Further from the capital, there are too many to be mentioned here. In addition, the administration embarked on a deliberate renovation and reconstruction of public schools, public health institutions and streets, designed and completed with covered drains, walkways, street lights, etc, also in all the 18 local government areas. The health sector witnessed the same level of turn around.
Remarkably, the administration kept the momentum despite dwindling returns from federation allocations and internally generated revenue.
With the accruing monthly allocations from the federation on the decline, from N3.8 billion to N2.8 billion, the administration took to the internally generated revenue option which moved up from its less-than-N300 million revenue before the advent of the administration to its present status of between N1.4 billion to N1.5 billion. Yet, Benin City, the state capital is about the cleanest compared to some of its neighbours with over N10 billion monthly federation account allocation.
In the education sector, the new narrative is known as the red roof revolution. Public schools in the state only compared with poultry farms before the advent of the Oshiomhole administration. At best, most of them had no roofs, making teaching and learning near impossible tasks during rainy seasons.
All that has changed as the administration went on a deliberate education rebirth policy that resulted in the rehabilitation of old and construction of new school buildings, complete with red roofs and every other facility necessary for conducive environment for learning. The new structures are found in all the 192 wards of the state. Education is not only free for both primary and secondary schools, the administration also made transportation free for all uniformed children both in private or public schools riding on the Comrade buses.
Definitely, Edo State ranks as one of the state with the best network of roads. However, they were hardly motorable until the current administration took effect. Since then, things changed for the better as roads from the capital down to the local governments have become a beauty to behold in terms of their look and functionality.
Oshiomhole has taken upon himself some ambitiously near impossible tasks and turned them around. The Azura/Edo Independent Power Project and Edo Water Storm project are obvious examples. The former is a $100 million project and the first Nigerian power project to benefit from the World Bank’s risk guarantee status, covered by the global bank’s Partial Risk Guarantee structure for developing needs of emerging global markets. It is very credible evidence that the state is a viable centre for global investment hob.
The latter is a vast labyrinth of huge drainage system under construction to serve as a permanent solution of the endemic drainage challenge in the state capital.
It is designed to empty the water deluge from all over the city to either the Ogba or Ikpoba River.
For all his efforts, the Benin crown prince, Eheneden Erediauwa, described Oshiomhole’s performance in the following words. “I don’t know of any governor that has developed Edo state in terms of infrastructure as Oshiomhole.”
Ernest Omoarelojiee writes from Benin City, Edo State.
First published on Vanguard Newspaper

http://omojuwa.com/2014/11/oshiomhole-six-years-after/

This writer must be a brown envelope journalist I guess

5 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Samlo88(m): 11:29am On Nov 17, 2014
Pinkytracy:
Edo State institute of technology and management smh
Abeg Babe! Are those ram representing alma mater of dat school? Or they are representing college of zoology? Lol!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by oyinzy(m): 11:30am On Nov 17, 2014
Pinkytracy:
The only Edo state owned polytechnic founded since 2002

The environment is like a poultry and we pay true our mouth we 32k as school fees, but the money you will be made to pay after gaining admission is more than 150k

More pix
Y are things this awkward
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by MadCow1: 11:31am On Nov 17, 2014
emerich:
Very biased post, go to Edo state and see How gov Oshiomole have transformed the Education sector, refurbished all govt primary schools in the state, this poster is just being a hater, Oshiomole still remains my best governor, mind u, am not from Edo state neither am I an APC member, I only did my tertiary education at Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma.

Sooo He is your best Governor for building those half-decent primary schools in almost 8-years in office? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1497452_Idia_College_8_1_JPG2bfcc791e61f55493390c45aef09ba45

3 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by crisycent: 11:36am On Nov 17, 2014
And the monkey they celebrate 6years in office.
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Louislewis: 11:40am On Nov 17, 2014
Goats and Sheep dey attend classes. Very soon dem go get ND and HND certificates.

3 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by MadCow1: 11:43am On Nov 17, 2014
Pinkytracy:

The environment is like a poultry and we pay true our mouth we 32k as school fees, but the money you will be made to pay after gaining admission is more than 150k

More pix

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1870107_cymera20140901104426_jpegc8ce9311fec264e1e39266e35d4d93c0

That must be the Agric Department.. grin

Faculty of Animal Husbandry. grin

6 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by gratiaeo(m): 11:50am On Nov 17, 2014
APC = change

3 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Arysexy(m): 11:56am On Nov 17, 2014
gratiaeo:
APC = change

Change from bad to worse.

2 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 17, 2014
Benin itself is a crap.

Apart from New Benin and some few places, roads in Benin arr terrible.
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Sagamite(m): 12:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
WHAT?

What is pathetic about these?

Abeg, go park jor!

They look exactly like MIT and Oxford jor. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Pendusky come an tell them about the nice stadium you have and keep on opening threads on NL about jor. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by honeric01(m): 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2014
Are those goats students too?

BTW, why is a tertiary school looking like an abandoned poultry na? undecided angry angry angry

Oshiomole, what the heck is wrong with you? angry

3 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Perelo(m): 12:42pm On Nov 17, 2014
What else can I say angry
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 17, 2014
Pinkytracy:
Since August we have been at home because Gov Oshiomole has refused to pay the salaries of our lecturers

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/175739-tertiary-schools-begin-warning-strike-in-edo

Today is 17 of Nov the year is almost ending we have not written our final exams (HND2 & ND2) our mates in other states has since graduated,Diploma program of 18months we are running into 3years.

The affected schools are:
College of education, igueben. College of education, ekiadolor. Institute of technology and management, Usen.
College of agriculture, Iguoriakhi.

Below are some pathetic pictures from one of the schools

What did you expect?

The problem started in 1973...when Yakubu and his gang took over mission schools...because we had the money. The result was an overbloated school system being subsidised by Govt...which cannot pay for itself...and is broke.

When man with 10 children and a salary of N40000 decides to look after his late brother's 15 pikin....wahala don dey.

The solution is simple...find money for the schools by raising fees.....but you Nigerians will promptly shout 'We are poor''....so you will have your poor schools that produce poor graduates that cannot compete against Rich Madam's London educated daughter in the job market.

Education in Nigeria is at a crossroads. And unfortunately.....no more extra money.

2 Likes

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by fireforfire: 12:48pm On Nov 17, 2014
ionsman:
What is pathetic about these pictures? The buildings or the fact there are some water gatherings. Lemme know op
is ur eye glass missing
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by sixtusjr(m): 12:49pm On Nov 17, 2014
pekeyim:
I was in Edo State some few weeks ago, and Boy I tell you, It was a sorry sight!!!

I feel the people are stuck in time.
Probably Spiritual!

Some roads are deeper than some swimming pools with the Red Mud not helping matters
menh! I passed through that state on Tuesday, their roads na hell!!! I say na Edo be dis?

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 17, 2014
Looks like one of those secondary schools in Aba and Ebonyi state.. cheesy
Pinkytracy:

More pix

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by ionsman: 1:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
fireforfire:

is ur eye glass missing
Yes because you stole it. undecided
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by ionsman: 1:13pm On Nov 17, 2014
sixtusjr:
menh! I passed through that state on Tuesday, their roads na hell!!! I say na Edo be dis?
Lemme ask you a question. Which roads did you ply while passing through Edo state?
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by anonimi: 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2014
Pinkytracy:

More pix

And the useless comrade governor was celebrating six years in power with our "anointed messiah" in attendance shocked

What a bunch of heartless PRETENDERS and FRAUDSTERS seeking to steal and to kill the unsuspecting, long-suffering masses of this potentially great nation angry

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by sixtusjr(m): 1:22pm On Nov 17, 2014
ionsman:

Lemme ask you a question. Which roads did you ply while passing through Edo state?
I dunno d name of d roads, d name of one of d town/village I pass through is Uromi...

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
Go n die
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by holluwizzy: 1:23pm On Nov 17, 2014
LMAyedun:
APC na 419 party

While PDP is a scam party, full of Idiots who think of filling their pockets and their children are not in Nigeria.

PDP was rulling Benin b4 Oshiomole came , Era of PDP there was Bad roads, Cultism was the police in town, Everything was in a state of Calamity.

But thank God for APC( Oshio Baba ) e has done alot, i am not an indegine but a student from Lagos and i know how it was when i came.

Going to car wash every morning was my normal routine and when going back same applied.

So APC states are working.

join hands together all you scum-bergs and take Nigeria to a better Level.

*Sip Lipton*

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by ionsman: 1:25pm On Nov 17, 2014
sixtusjr:
I dunno d name of d roads, d name of one of d town/village I pass through is Uromi...
Okay.Don't really know much about that side
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by anonimi: 1:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
bushdoc9919:

What did you expect?

The problem started in 1973...when Yakubu and his gang took over mission schools...because we had the money. The result was an overbloated school system being subsidised by Govt...which cannot pay for itself...and is broke.

When man with 10 children and a salary of N40000 decides to look after his late brother's 15 pikin....wahala don dey.

The solution is simple...find money for the schools by raising fees.....but you Nigerians will promptly shout 'We are poor''....so you will have your poor schools that produce poor graduates that cannot compete against Rich Madam's London educated daughter in the job market.

Education in Nigeria is at a crossroads. And unfortunately.....no more extra money.

Do you know of any developed country or developing country that does not have free and COMPULSORY education for its children
If you do please name such countries.
Thanks.

Meanwhile, please note that China for many decades has had free & compulsory education for all its children for nine years despite its population size and we see the results today.

The government can either provide free and compulsory schools for a certain number of years for a certain number of children per family/woman instead of claiming to be poor while our 36 state governors and 774 LGA chairmen make off like BANDITS stealing us dry shocked

1 Like

Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by christopher123(m): 1:27pm On Nov 17, 2014
THIS CANT BE TERTIARY INSTITUTION, THE LOOK LIKE VILLGE PRIMARY SCHOOLS
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by ionsman: 1:30pm On Nov 17, 2014
holluwizzy:

While PDP is a scam party, full of Idiots who think of filling their pockets and their children are not in Nigeria.

PDP was rulling Benin b4 Oshiomole came , Era of PDP there was Bad roads, Cultism was the police in town, Everything was in a state of Calamity.

But thank God for APC( Oshio Baba ) e has done alot, i am not an indegine but a student from Lagos and i know how it was when i came.

Going to car wash every morning was my normal routine and when going back same applied.

So APC states are working.

join hands together all you scum-bergs and take Nigeria to a better Level.

*Sip Lipton*
My guy don't mind these idiots. People who don't know anything about Edo state would come here to spew trash.We know what we went trough during PDP regime.Edo state was in shambles. Oshiomhole cant do it all alone,that's why there needs to be continuity.PDP can't rule Edo state in the foreseeable future that am 200% sure of.
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
anonimi:

Do you know of any developed country or developing country that does not have free and COMPULSORY education for its children
If you do please name such countries.
Thanks.

Meanwhile, please note that China for many decades has had free & compulsory education for all its children for nine years despite its population size and we see the results today.

The government can either provide[b] free and compulsory schools for a certain number of years for a certain number of children per family/woman[/b] instead of claiming to be poor while our 36 state governors and 774 LGA chairmen make off like BANDITS stealing us dry shocked

China also has a GDP we can only dream of right now.

Education is expensive. I expect the govt of Edo State to deal with its corrupt educaiton officials. I also expect Nigerians to be realistic. You can't get good education on N32000 a year.

Note that I don't like the idea of increasing fees. Infact I hate the idea whole heeartedly. But sadly, if we want the poor kids to get a good education.....we may have to increase fees at state and LGA level.

(And, on a side note...it may become a reality soon....what with the fall in oil prices. Austerity will soon come into play....and what I have just said will soon happen).

It is so painful....but fees have to go up. And if APC or PDP are not ready to make that hard choice....as well as to end corruption....then either party isn't serious. The era of awoof money is over. We don't have enough money anyways...corruption and oil price aside.

P.S---If Abuja removes fuel subsidy and spends much of the money on education, fees may stay low.

P.S 2...Oil is a curse. Rely on oil money alone....and this is what you get. China is not a resource dependent country. Best we follow their example.
Re: The Pathetic State Of Edo State Owned Tertiary Institutions by ionsman: 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2014
MadCow1:

Sooo He is your best Governor for building those half-decent primary schools in almost 8-years in office? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1497452_Idia_College_8_1_JPG2bfcc791e61f55493390c45aef09ba45
My friend shut up...Half decent schools you say.In fact.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG To Move Some Federal Ministries, Agencies Out Of Abuja City / Anambra Election: Yul Edochie Denies Stepping Down, Threatens Legal Action / Angry Governor Okorocha Speaks, Heads To Imo Police Command For A Rescue Mission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.