Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,459 members, 7,836,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (114) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (231853 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 18, 2020
OkCornel:

Sure, I could help you with links to download them...in just a bit.

You could get them from pdfdrive.com
Ok, I will check. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:43am On Feb 19, 2020
OkCornel:

Cool, will put this on my reading list.

Doesn’t hurt to see things from a 360 degree perspective.

Modified: Just finding out the dude is gay though cry

grin grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:43am On Feb 19, 2020
gensteejay:

Could you please send me the books in PDF if you've them?

Your email?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 19, 2020
joseph1013:

Your email?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:33am On Feb 19, 2020
OkCornel:

Cool, will put this on my reading list.

Doesn’t hurt to see things from a 360 degree perspective.

Modified: Just finding out the dude is gay though cry

Will you become gay by reading the book?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by OkCornel(m): 11:47am On Feb 19, 2020
LordReed:

Will you become gay by reading the book?

Haha, absolutely not.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:13am On Feb 20, 2020
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:16am On Feb 20, 2020
WHY GOD CANNOT BOIL AN EGG

Religious people think God can create a universe from nothing but they know he can't mow a lawn. He can cure cancer but can't boil an egg.

I sometimes wonder why people think God can do impossibly hard things when they know he cannot do the simplest things a child could do. Why do we think God can do some things but not others?

It seems that God CANNOT do anything that has a fully predictable outcome. We know how to boil an egg but leave the egg, saucepan, and water out for God to do the job and it will never happen.

However, we do not know how to cure a common cold. Colds almost always get better but we cannot predict exactly when you will recover. That is where God comes in.

There is a place for God in any process that we do not fully understand or that has an outcome that can be predicted only as a probability. There's a 99.98% probability of driving safely from Lusaka to Ndola so that's a job for God. And guess what? Pray to God for a safe journey and he'll take care of you 99.98% of the time. Perfect, God works!

No, God does not work. Self-deception works--if you let it.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 20, 2020
joseph1013:

For other guys interested, here are the three links:

https://b-ok.cc/book/2563683/4c894e

https://b-ok.cc/book/2877646/bcdecc

https://b-ok.cc/book/3583989/7fc5bf
I have got them. Thanks a lot.

Please, remove my email from that quote.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:23am On Feb 21, 2020
"I believe in God."

"OK. How many gods have men worshiped?"

"I don't know. Probably thousands."

"That's true. Do you believe only one of them is real?"

"Yes. The others are invented."

"So, if you randomly pick a god, what are the chances it is the real one?"

"I see where you're going, but I didn't randomly pick a god."

"Do you believe in the same god your family believes in?"

"Yes..."

"Did you pick your family because they believe in the real god?"

"Of course not."

"So it was chance you were born into that family and not a different one. That's random isn't it?"

"I suppose so."

"Well, it would be one in a few thousand but my god is real."

"If you were born into a different family with a different god, wouldn't you say the same thing?"

"Umm, I suppose so."

"F*ck off!"

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:30pm On Feb 22, 2020
"When Samuel quite reasonably protests that King Saul will seek to kill him if he finds out he is on his way to anoint the new king, God instructs Samuel to lie: “Take a heifer with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the Lord’” (1, 16:2).

A white lie, to be sure. A lie to preserve a life. Still, it is worth noting that David is anointed in a cloud of mild deception."

~ David Wolpe's "David - A Divided Heart"

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:39pm On Feb 22, 2020
For the Christian, the Bible is the best material and evidence for atheism.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2020
God is an African conception.

Such concept was adopted for West Asian and European consumption, only to be later maliciously adapted and plagiarised to form a system of submission and mind control.

These initial concepts are the reasons behinde inducing the genius of human kind, the genius of the African.

The proper meaning of induce, isnt to make or influence someone to does something, rather to induce, is to bring out the best in a person.

As in, 'induce' is the root word for 'educate'.

Ther's no disputing the fact that African history 'induces' the genius inside human kind.

African concept of God isnt based on spookism, rather is based on a combination of universal truths that leads us to the understanding and or overstanding of ones present reality.

The Abrahamic religions are soley based on a spookish and a nonsensical concept of god.

By their own definition, the Abrahamic religions are based on a false god.

In other words, we've all contributed well in the fight to expose the Abrahamic concept of god as being fake, false and malicious.

Well done.

Great work.

Now, its time to move on to the next level.

There's no doubt in my mind that Atheist are better protected mentaly, physically and spiritually aswell as being more productive to our world than than any follower of the Abrahamic religions.

I'm an Africanist and would ask all the Atheist, free-thinkers, conscious and conscientious amongst us to adopt the African Gods.

As in, you dont have to believe in religious spookism, dont confuse the Abrahamic concept of God with our own elders, heroes and saviours.

According to African history, all the African Gods are real, proper and true.

Atheist ought to make the above statement as their starting point and work from here.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:14pm On Feb 24, 2020
Most religious people know what indoctrination is and that it works.

So why won't they admit it happened to them?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 4:40pm On Feb 24, 2020
joseph1013:

Anything that removes agency from their god is anathema.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2020
OkCornel:

Currently reading Yuval Harari Noah’s books;

1) Homo sapiens

2) Homo Deus.

Very insightful and myth destroying books.

https://archive.org/download/HarariSapiensABriefHistoryOfHumankindRuLitMe456424/Harari_Sapiens-A-Brief-History-of-Humankind_RuLit_Me_456424.epub

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:30pm On Feb 24, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 5:51pm On Feb 24, 2020
joseph1013:

One can not admit what one is ignorant of! And curing ignorance is not a simple case of indoctrinating with knowledge because......

Hmm! I ran out of knowledge there though Plato's cave springs to mind along with the crucifixion of Christ.

Can someone help me with reasons why curing ignorance is not a simple case of indoctrinating with knowledge? (Though, first, is it agreed that curing ignorance is not a simple case of indoctrinating with knowledge?)

Do note. The phrase "indoctrinating with knowledge" was very carefully and deliberately chosen because, mostly, its what we do on here when we challenge 'facts' with facts with the hope of displacing a belief for another belief, instead of an understanding of what is believed.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CaveAdullam: 6:19pm On Feb 24, 2020
OkCornel:

Currently reading Yuval Harari Noah’s books;

1) Homo sapiens

2) Homo Deus.

Very insightful and myth destroying books.
Please bro, always holla your guy about good books.
budaatum:

https://archive.org/download/HarariSapiensABriefHistoryOfHumankindRuLitMe456424/Harari_Sapiens-A-Brief-History-of-Humankind_RuLit_Me_456424.epub
Thanks budatuum. I didn't miss this cos of you. Love you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by budaatum: 6:35pm On Feb 24, 2020
LordReed:

Anything that removes agency from their god is anathema.
Its a sign of incomprehension, my Lord, as in, a simple misunderstanding of how to read and understand.

Ancient humans did not quite understand why things happen so filled the gap in their knowledge with "God done it", while most modern humans have adopted science, as in, the use of the senses, to question and explain things, which enables us to become like the gods who make things happen that we read about in books so we may learn and become like our gods.

Unfortunately, some humans are still stuck in ancient thought mode and fail to understand this fact. They would read Things Fall Apart then plan a trip to Umofia, and atheists, knowing no such place exists would claim no such place exists so Chinua is a liar who can't teach anything, while things obviously fall apart for the believing theist and atheist alike, as we see by the increase in non-believers

Perhaps see the book they read as the software that programs some, though I do admit many are very sloppy hardware who do not quite submit to proper programming since they find it difficult to be programmed to love their neighbours and their enemies moreso not to talk of not bearing false witness, but think the programming is to make them yell Lord Lord despite the warning that such people will end up gnashing their teeth.

A case of acknowledging the finger while disregarding the moon it points to, I say. We desire to believe, or disbelieve, instead of understand the underlying messages, and this despite it clearly being stated that the devil also believes and trembles, which ought to make one wonder that believing is not the point to take from their reading.

You got to wonder what we would be like without the Word. We'd likely be unevolved thoughtless muddy apes, though I must apologise to the apes since apes are not as thoughtless nor muddy as some humans.

I do love how [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13%3A11-12&version=NIV]Paul is written[/url] to have made the same point.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child and I reasoned [and believed] - or in Paul's case, disbelieved - like a child. Then I evolved and became a reasoning human and put the ways of childhood [belief] behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror [and believe]; then we shall see face to face [and understand]. Now I know in part believe. Then, [after I have evolved and learnt to use my senses] I shall know [and understand] fully, even as I am fully known."

We too will evolve our ability to understand, I promise, as your yourself are a testament.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by OkCornel(m): 8:02am On Feb 25, 2020
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by OkCornel(m): 8:03am On Feb 25, 2020
CaveAdullam:
Please bro, always holla your guy about good books. Thanks budatuum. I didn't miss this cos of you. Love you.

Lol, no vex my bro. Noted henceforth
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:46am On Feb 25, 2020
budaatum:

Its a sign of incomprehension, my Lord, as in, a simple misunderstanding of how to read and understand.

Ancient humans did not quite understand why things happen so filled the gap in their knowledge with "God done it", while most modern humans have adopted science, as in, the use of the senses, to question and explain things, which enables us to become like the gods who make things happen that we read about in books so we may learn and become like our gods.

Unfortunately, some humans are still stuck in ancient thought mode and fail to understand this fact. They would read Things Fall Apart then plan a trip to Umofia, and atheists, knowing no such place exists would claim no such place exists so Chinua is a liar who can't teach anything, while things obviously fall apart for the believing theist and atheist alike, as we see by the increase in non-believers

Perhaps see the book they read as the software that programs some, though I do admit many are very sloppy hardware who do not quite submit to proper programming since they find it difficult to be programmed to love their neighbours and their enemies moreso not to talk of not bearing false witness, but think the programming is to make them yell Lord Lord despite the warning that such people will end up gnashing their teeth.

A case of acknowledging the finger while disregarding the moon it points to, I say. We desire to believe, or disbelieve, instead of understand the underlying messages, and this despite it clearly being stated that the devil also believes and trembles, which ought to make one wonder that believing is not the point to take from their reading.

You got to wonder what we would be like without the Word. We'd likely be unevolved thoughtless muddy apes, though I must apologise to the apes since apes are not as thoughtless nor muddy as some humans.

I do love how [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13%3A11-12&version=NIV]Paul is written[/url] to have made the same point.

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child and I reasoned [and believed] - or in Paul's case, disbelieved - like a child. Then I evolved and became a reasoning human and put the ways of childhood [belief] behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror [and believe]; then we shall see face to face [and understand]. Now I know in part believe. Then, [after I have evolved and learnt to use my senses] I shall know [and understand] fully, even as I am fully known."

We too will evolve our ability to understand, I promise, as your yourself are a testament.

Indeed my dear buda, my sincerest wish is to understand, for with understanding fear, hatred, jealousy and strife end.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:16am On Feb 25, 2020
Today's myths are the stories our ancestors believed in the past.
The stories we believe today will be the myths of tomorrow.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:35am On Feb 25, 2020
"...David and Goliath trade imprecations and then David lets his stone fly. Unerringly hitting the one place on Goliath not covered by armor, the stone strikes his forehead and the giant falls forward.

This apparent violation of physics—the force should have driven him back—has given interpreters some trouble. Perhaps he stumbled and fell forward."

~ David Wolpe's "David - A Divided Heart"

The problem with Christians is that they assume an unchallenged position and then interpret everything from that standpoint.

Look at this situation of Goliath for instance.

If you start from the position that the Bible is always correct, all you have to do is perform gymnastics to ensure the Bible is not made out a liar.

That's the only way anyone could default to saying that Goliath must have fallen forward and give several explanations like Goliath staggering for a moment and then fell on his face.

Or that the rock struck Goliath that it spun him around and then he fell upon his face.

Verbal gymnastics. grin

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:18pm On Feb 26, 2020
SOME HUMANS

Some humans are fully sure the world is flat. Some are convinced the universe is 6,000 years old. Most are certain death is the beginning of a new life that will never end.

Millions have absolutely no doubts that after they die they will have more sex with more beautiful young women than they could ever imagine during life.

The great majority are completely confident that an invisible man knows their thoughts, watches them 24/7 and can be persuaded to use his magic powers to help them, if they ask in just the right way.

Humans, not as smart as you think.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:19am On Feb 28, 2020
Pope Francis took in ill after having contact with the coronavirus patients in church service last Sunday..

Iran has banned religious gathering and no Jumat congregation prayers till further notice.

Saudi Arabia has suspended umrah and hajj pilgrimage.

Since Coronavirus is now confirmed in Nigeria, one of the best measures is that the Nigerian government to ban religious gathering and close all schools in Nigeria for 4 weeks to monitor the trend of the infection and sensitise people on what to do and where to report to in each local council in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:13am On Feb 28, 2020
joseph1013:
Pope Francis took in ill after having contact with the coronavirus patients in church service last Sunday..

Iran has banned religious gathering and no Jumat congregation prayers till further notice.

Saudi Arabia has suspended umrah and hajj pilgrimage.

Since Coronavirus is now confirmed in Nigeria, one of the best measures is that the Nigerian government to ban religious gathering and close all schools in Nigeria for 4 weeks to monitor the trend of the infection and sensitise people on what to do and where to report to in each local council in Nigeria.

HOW ABOUT PRAYING THE VIRUS AWAY, SINCE PRAYER IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 7:39am On Feb 28, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

HOW ABOUT PRAYING THE VIRUS AWAY, SINCE PRAYER IS THE KEY TO EVERYTHING?

Watch the religious begin to do their mental gymnastics on how effective it is and why it didn't work. Then when the trouble dies down, claim victory for their god.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:43am On Feb 29, 2020
LordReed:

Watch the religious begin to do their mental gymnastics on how effective it is and why it didn't work. Then when the trouble dies down, claim victory for their god.

CHARLY BOY FOR GRAMMYS cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:00am On Feb 29, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

CHARLY BOY FOR GRAMMYS cheesy

Bwahahahahaha! Hilarious.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:29am On Feb 29, 2020
LordReed:

Bwahahahahaha! Hilarious.

THINK ABOUT THIS..
NOT SULEIMAN, NOT MOUKA, NOT EVEN MY MAIN MAN DEPS COULD PROPHECY OF A CERTAIN ITALIAN WHO MUST BE PREVENTED FROM BRINGING THIS VIRUS TO NIGERIA. NOT A SINGLE SEER SAW THIS COMING. IN A COUNTRY WHERE THOUSANDS CLAIM TO COMMUNICATE WITH GOD HIMSELF AND SEE THINGS THAT THE REST OF US CANNOT SEE. SOMETHING IS DEFINITELY WRONG, AND I WONDER WHAT IT'LL TAKE FOR CHRISTIANS TO REALIZE THAT THESE MEN OF GOD ARE OF NO GOOD USE.

16 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.