Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230697 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2019
Godswill Vesta Ubong

IN DEFENSE OF THE RIGHT TO DISRESPECT GOD: A response to a response.

Pardon the length of this response. So, yesterday, Victor Ibegbulem made a post about a fictitious communication with God, in it, literally telling him, in coarse language, to go have carnal knowledge of himself. And, while I skipped the post yesterday, seeing it for what it was: a trouble-seeking post, meant to rile the emotions of the deeply religious, my good friend, Akaninyene Bernard Ubom, wrote a response to the post, basically calling for Victor, and by extension all atheists, to respect the beliefs of religious people. The following was my response:

Hi Akaninyene,

While I agree with you that people should be treated with respect, and civility should be espoused in our interactions with each other, I find it disingenuous and a tad bit hypocritical for Christians to talk about disrespect while still reading the Bible—a book known to disrespect everything that isn't an israelite and isn't a male. I believe it was Romans 1:28-32 that said. "And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done. They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents, senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless. Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things DESERVE TO DIE, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them."

This is an actual line from the Bible. And people would get dressed on Sunday and go sit and listen to someone preach about verses like this (amongst numerous others). I don't even want to start with the Koran. Yet, somehow, you do not see the need to throw the Bible away in deference for the espousement of the same respect you accuse the atheist as not having. I really don't care about the new age apologetics and refinement applied to the character of God. If the aphorism "God is the the same yesterday, today and forever" is to be believed, why should a God who's ordered the killings of heretics and unbelievers, who's sanctioned the enslavement of foreigners, who "hardens the heart of the unbeliever", who doesn't think women are worth as much as men be shown any form of respect? Perhaps you should ponder on this question.

You might look to God and see a being who's the author and finisher of your faith, but to most atheists, God is an idea, a character not more real than Santa or a pink unicorn, and one does reserve the right to say "Bleep you" for all his xenophobic, misogynistic, homophobic, slave-ownership compelling, child-killing inducing and bigotry-calcifying vituperations and rhetoric.

If a Christian truly values respect, They would start by dropping the Bible they hold so dear.

Warm regards.

Granted, the response was hurriedly written, I have, since then, had time to reflect on the idea of respect with regards to religious beliefs.

Let's be honest with ourselves. When religious people talk about respecting the doctrines and beliefs of religion, they really usually mean their own. Like Charles pointed out, everytime you slaughter a cow or eat beef you disrespect the religious beliefs of the Hindus. Every bug, rodent or annoying reptile, you kill is an affront to the doctrines of the Jains. Everytime you drink coffee, you disrespect the religious beliefs of Mormons. Even the very idea of evangelism and conversion is a disrespect to those whose religions forbid them from leaving. In some religions, apostasy is punishable by death. You know this. Yet you have no qualms taking your good news of salvation to them.

There's a difference between respecting one's beliefs and respecting one's rights to hold a belief. Let's stop conflating the two, please. While the latter should be actively campaigned for, the former should be tossed in the bog of obsolescence. It's okay to believe the rings of Saturn are frozen gossamer, being spun, continuously by a giant spider sitting in space just beyond its moons. I won't have you arrested for it. I won't have your house burnt for it. I won't take you to court for it. That's what what respecting your rights to believe looks like. I, however, don't have to believe it. Or stop myself from laughing everytime you mention it, or thinking you need psychological evaluation. I don't have to stop myself from making cartoons about your beliefs, or ridiculing it. Do you get the difference? While we must all respect the rights of our neighbors to hold whatever beliefs they hold, the beliefs themselves, and this cannot be overstated, have no rights. They should not be sheltered from scrutiny.

Every religion comes with its baggage of absurdities. Christianity's absurdities are now less action-oriented—remaining only in the realms of verbosity/lexicon, thanks to ceaseless reformation from within and endless ridicule, criticism and debates from without. Every battle won on human rights have been at the expense of one religion or the other. Christians are able to brag about their religion today thanks to the criticisms and ridicule it has had to endure.

In closing, we must learn to differentiate between disrespecting one's beliefs and disrespecting one's rights to believe and make conscientious efforts to eschew the latter.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2019
joseph1013:
Godswill Vesta Ubong

IN DEFENSE OF THE RIGHT TO DISRESPECT GOD: A response to a response.

Pardon the length of this response. So, yesterday, Victor Ibegbulem made a post about a fictitious communication with God, in it, literally telling him, in coarse language, to go have carnal knowledge of himself. And, while I skipped the post yesterday, seeing it for what it was: a trouble-seeking post, meant to rile the emotions of the deeply religious, my good friend, Akaninyene Bernard Ubom, wrote a response to the post, basically calling for Victor, and by extension all atheists, to respect the beliefs of religious people. The following was my response:

Hi Akaninyene,

While I agree with you that people should be treated with respect, and civility should be espoused in our interactions with each other, I find it disingenuous and a tad bit hypocritical for Christians to talk about disrespect while still reading the Bible—a book known to disrespect everything that isn't an israelite and isn't a male. I believe it was Romans 1:28-32 that said. "And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done. They are filled with every kind of unrighteousness, wickedness, covetousness, malice. They are rife with envy, murder, strife, deceit, hostility. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, contrivers of all sorts of evil, disobedient to parents, senseless, covenant-breakers, heartless, ruthless. Although they fully know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things DESERVE TO DIE, they not only do them but also approve of those who practice them."

This is an actual line from the Bible. And people would get dressed on Sunday and go sit and listen to someone preach about verses like this (amongst numerous others). I don't even want to start with the Koran. Yet, somehow, you do not see the need to throw the Bible away in deference for the espousement of the same respect you accuse the atheist as not having. I really don't care about the new age apologetics and refinement applied to the character of God. If the aphorism "God is the the same yesterday, today and forever" is to be believed, why should a God who's ordered the killings of heretics and unbelievers, who's sanctioned the enslavement of foreigners, who "hardens the heart of the unbeliever", who doesn't think women are worth as much as men be shown any form of respect? Perhaps you should ponder on this question.

You might look to God and see a being who's the author and finisher of your faith, but to most atheists, God is an idea, a character not more real than Santa or a pink unicorn, and one does reserve the right to say "Bleep you" for all his xenophobic, misogynistic, homophobic, slave-ownership compelling, child-killing inducing and bigotry-calcifying vituperations and rhetoric.

If a Christian truly values respect, They would start by dropping the Bible they hold so dear.

Warm regards.

Granted, the response was hurriedly written, I have, since then, had time to reflect on the idea of respect with regards to religious beliefs.

Let's be honest with ourselves. When religious people talk about respecting the doctrines and beliefs of religion, they really usually mean their own. Like Charles pointed out, everytime you slaughter a cow or eat beef you disrespect the religious beliefs of the Hindus. Every bug, rodent or annoying reptile, you kill is an affront to the doctrines of the Jains. Everytime you drink coffee, you disrespect the religious beliefs of Mormons. Even the very idea of evangelism and conversion is a disrespect to those whose religions forbid them from leaving. In some religions, apostasy is punishable by death. You know this. Yet you have no qualms taking your good news of salvation to them.

There's a difference between respecting one's beliefs and respecting one's rights to hold a belief. Let's stop conflating the two, please. While the latter should be actively campaigned for, the former should be tossed in the bog of obsolescence. It's okay to believe the rings of Saturn are frozen gossamer, being spun, continuously by a giant spider sitting in space just beyond its moons. I won't have you arrested for it. I won't have your house burnt for it. I won't take you to court for it. That's what what respecting your rights to believe looks like. I, however, don't have to believe it. Or stop myself from laughing everytime you mention it, or thinking you need psychological evaluation. I don't have to stop myself from making cartoons about your beliefs, or ridiculing it. Do you get the difference? While we must all respect the rights of our neighbors to hold whatever beliefs they hold, the beliefs themselves, and this cannot be overstated, have no rights. They should not be sheltered from scrutiny.

Every religion comes with its baggage of absurdities. Christianity's absurdities are now less action-oriented—remaining only in the realms of verbosity/lexicon, thanks to ceaseless reformation from within and endless ridicule, criticism and debates from without. Every battle won on human rights have been at the expense of one religion or the other. Christians are able to brag about their religion today thanks to the criticisms and ridicule it has had to endure.

In closing, we must learn to differentiate between disrespecting one's beliefs and disrespecting one's rights to believe and make conscientious efforts to eschew the latter.

This can't be reiterated enough.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:17am On Dec 11, 2019
Ada Ragnar wrote:

"MY ORDEAL AT CHRIST EMBASSY HEALING SCHOOL AUGUST 2018 SESSION.

It's my mom, she had stroke since March 2015. And before that time it's wasn't long that we lost dad to a kidney illness of about 14months till he finally left. We were still struggling to recover from the financial stress and stuff when mom had stroke.

Our world came crashing down again, i had to leave school to stay in the hospital with her. I only went back to school during the exam to write my exam. Didn't even know why I didn't carry any course over but I couldn't write my project.

So when my sister graduated she came home to stay with mom so I came to Lagos to work because hunger nearly killed us. I started a little job In Lagos and started attending Christ Embassy.

So I began to see the videos of the previous healings school and I felt I have to bring mom during the next healing school in Lagos But last year there wasnt healing school in Nigeria.

During Loveworld January this year, pastor Benny hinn said there will be healing section on the last day of the program So I quickly arranged for a car to bring my mom to Lagos. Many people also brought their loved ones but at the end no attention was given to us. It was fund raising everywhere.

So mom stayed with me in one room self contain since then till June. When pastor Chris oyahkilome announced that there will be healing school in Lagos Nigeria, everyone shouted for joy. Immediately I registered her and we were happy the time for her healing is here because we have seen a lot of testimonies and videos of people who attended healing school and got healed.

I asked my boss for a month she said I was foolish for trying to stop my job for the purpose of healing school but I chose to take my mom to healing school because I completely trusted she will be fine.

*So I quit my job* Healing school started on 27th of July, we arrived very early in the morning for the orientation, We spent about #4000 everyday for our to and fro movement, buying the materials for lectures, and some other stuff we need to do with money, we sow seeds consistently too.

The program was actually 2 sections, so our own section been the first should end on 12th But on 11th they called out some of our names and inform us that pastor wouldn't be ministering to us in 12th, so we have to wait and take the lectures again with the second batch students for another two weeks, This time I was so frustrated because I have exusted all the money on me and excitedly thinking Sunday ends it all.

So I tried my best but couldn't afford the tfare any longer so I had to go beg a woman who gave us her shop which is a bit closer to oregun to sleep in the night. She took 4k from us every week, I paid for 2weeks, My mom and I slept on that cemented floor for about 2weeks, sometimes no food for us to eat, sometimes what I could afford for mom in the whole day is gala and a satchet of pure water while I sleep with empty stomach.

Till the healing services came on Sunday 26th, with all exitment and expectations, We were asked to arrive at the LCA by 6am, before 5am we were there already. We were given seat numbers but surprisingly when we entered the hall we already saw people occupied the supposed seat we had their numbers

We asked our lecturers they assured us that the numbers were given in 2batches so after pastor finish ministering to those first set we will occupy the place and be ministered to.
So we obediently obeyed their instructions

So pastor came out to heal the first set of people which mainly comprised of people who can stand on their own without an aid, few people on stretchers, about very few people on wheelchairs they all got healed and were rejoicing.

We also rejoice with them in anticipation of ours.

But surprisingly instead of allowing us occupy the seat as promised they call the pastors and some other members to occupy them.

So we began to ask for explanation for the reason things turned out that way, we began to press towards the stage where pastor Chris is, then they called in the ushers to completely block us so camera wouldn't see us at all.

We kept pressing forward till all the pastors who lectured us and promised to put us on healing lines came to join the ushers and pushed us back telling us we can get our miracles anywhere not until pastor minister to Us.

So it wasn't long pastor said he's done with the healing service Everyone shouted because there were still more than people on wheelchairs that hasn't been ministered to with some on stretchers too

So pastor Chris asked us to raise the paper indicating the condition, he prayed and asked us to act with faith. He then prayed on some shawls and asked us to drop a love offering of #5k at least for one.

Everyone tried lifting their loved ones making them do what they couldn't do till pastor walked out of the hall. After about 30min trying to exercise faith each person sat back on their wheel chair and returned home like that after the healing school.

What actually gave me more concern was that one of the pastors blamed it all on us saying we didn't have enough faith that the prayers pastor prayed was enough to heal our loved ones but we refused to Take the healings

*So my questions are*
What exactly is Faith ?
That I quit my job for this purpose isn't faith enough
That I left a self contained decent room to sleep in a shop for two weeks isn't faith enough?

I emptied my bank account to sow seed

And why is it that all the people we meet at the healing school during lectures, with whom we interacted prayed together and encouraged each other. Not even one was healed.

I endured hunger for this same purpose isn't faith enough.

As for me I had just #400 and I was confident cause I already concluded that mom is going to walk today and the #400 will be enough to take us back home as we will go home with public transport not taxify.

All of us still saw each other and went home *faustrated*
*disappointed*
*depressed*
And *broke*
Still having to push our loved ones with the wheelchair. I have to beg the cab driver that we later used to please come back next week to take the #2k he promised to collect.

I don't really know what all the drama represent but I know there's more to all these show of miracles that we see on television, they are not exactly what we are seeing."

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:36am On Dec 12, 2019
Itodo Samuel Anthony

In my time in the church I noticed that many Nigerian Christians want to be in the good books of their pastors, so they practically become obsequious. And there's not a better time to display this man worship than testimony time.

Testimony time was always my most uncomfortable in church because apart from the outright lies some people tell in the name of testimonies, I cringe from seeing the desperation of many Christians to give their pastors praise even for things purportedly done by God. More often than not I'd have my head lowered into my palms because while I can't help hearing the absurdities some Christians utter in the name of testimonies, I can at least reduce my embarrassment by not staring at the man lying with a straight face and clearly mocking God in the process. See, I cared about God's feelings.

So it is always, "I went everywhere with this sickness until Papa laid hands on me", " I prayed to God and used the handkerchief Papa gave me", "Papa you remember that time I came to you...", "I xhfgskd until Papa xvsbfjdh".
More than anything else, it was about Papa. God more often than not was the footnote.

No, the average Nigerian Christian, even while testifying doesn't care that much about God, it is for the benefit of their pastors first, their neighbors second, church members third, and God if there is still space on the form. They don't really care about God, that is why they leave church and immediately immerse themselves in the very things that God forbids.

Who actually gets glorified when the picture of a man of God on a piece of paper starts speaking in tongues, God or Papa? That's why they lie so much. That's why they take antimalaria drugs and say it was Papa's handkerchief that cured them. It is all about Papa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:49am On Dec 17, 2019
The Muslim Whose Presence Defiled Christ.
Prof. Pius Adesanmi
Modees Usman, one of my protégés, was supposed to come and see me at the Ake Arts and Book Festival last month in Abeokuta. The gentleman is a patriotic Customs officer and, in my estimation, one of the brightest hopes for the sort of pan-Nigeria I envision ceaselessly in my public reflections. A devout Muslim, his sensibilities and advocacy for Nigeria reach across all our fault lines and bitter divisions. He is a picture perfect portrait of my ideal Nigerian. Suffice it to say, he did not make it to Abeokuta for our meeting. However, he sent a carton of non-alcoholic wine to me through another wonderful pan-Nigerian patriot, Remy Binte Oge.
My protégé couldn’t make it to Abeokuta because he had to travel to Calabar to attend the wedding of his childhood friend. He was in fact the designated best man at the occasion. I sent word to him that his attempt to bribe me with a carton of wine would not work: he would still have to pay a fine for failing to somehow find a way to visit me during my last trip to Nigeria.
I had no idea that a little drama was playing out in Calabar…
Modees, obviously, is a Muslim. His best friend who was getting married is a Christian. A Muslim was going to be best man in a Christian marriage! The Christian groom and his Muslim best friend thought nothing of this until wedding day and the officiating Pastor somehow caught wind of the faith of the best man and refused to proceed with the ceremony. It was bad enough for Modees, a Muslim, to have come to defile the body of Christ in his church! To approach the pulpit as the best man in the wedding was adding insult to injury! All entreaties to the Pastor failed. No Muslims allowed here!
The story of this foolish fundamentalist Christian Pastor in Calabar is the story of Nigeria. It is indeed the story of Africa. It is the story of the failure of critical intelligence. It could very easily have happened the other way round. It could have been Modees getting married and his Christian friend being bundled out of the ceremony for defiling a Mosque. The trouble with Nigeria, the tragedy of Africa, is that in a world of mutual connectivity and global influences and interactions, we have not figured out a way of making whatever we accept from the outside, whatever is forced on us from the outside, sit on the solid foundation of our own worldviews and humanity.
We forget that Christianity and Islam did not invade Africa purely as faith. They couldn’t have for they are much more than faith. They are also cultures for they took on the cultures of either their places of origin or their sources of global dissemination. Europeans and Arabs injected a great deal of their cultures and values, of who they are, into the versions of the creeds that they introduced to Africa. Because he lacks critical intelligence in his embrace of these two religions, the African thinks that the African in him must die as a pre-condition for his being a true Muslim or a true Christian.
This is the source of a strain of pathological fundamentalism that is strange even to the 'owners' of those religions in Europe and the Arab world. This explains why the modern Nigerian Christian – the sort who jots his Pastor’s sermon on an iPad – condemns the New Yam Festival in his village as a pagan practice while enthusiastically invading the Ikeja Mall to buy Halloween costumes for his children. That is why people demonstrate peacefully in Saudi Arabia whenever Europe draws cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed but Nigerians kill fellow Nigerians on account of ideological conflicts between Europe and the Middle East.
That is why Modees was thrown out of a Christian wedding in Calabar.
Modees was thrown out because Muslim and Christian faithful in Nigeria have killed the spirit of accommodation, humanism, and tolerance which informed the religions of their forefathers. They do not know that African Traditional Religions, like every other faith, also come complete with values that should inform their approach to the foreign religions they now practice.
Nobody is saying that you should discard your Christianity or Islam and go back to worship Ogun or Amadioha. But, at least, reduce your ignorance of what they thought of the other; reduce your ignorance of how the faith of your forefathers handled difference. Let me invite one of Africa’s foremost thinkers, Professor Ali Mazrui, to instruct you. Let me quote in detail from Professor Mazrui’s book, Resurgent Islam and the Politics of Identity:
“Of the three cultural legacies of Africa (Indigenous, Islamic and Christian) perhaps the most religiously tolerant is the indigenous tradition. It is even arguable that Africa did not have religious wars before Islam and Christianity arrived. Precisely because these two latter faiths were universalist in aspiration (seeking to convert the whole of humankind), they were inherently competitive. In Africa, Christianity and Islam have often been in competition for the soul of the continent…Indigenous African religions on the other hand are basically communal rather than universalist…By not being universalist in that sense, the African traditions have not been in competition with each other for the souls of other people. The Yoruba do not seek to convert the Ibo (sic) to Yoruba religion or vice versa. By not being proselytizing religions, African creeds have not fought with each other. Over the centuries, Africans have waged many kinds of wars with each other but hardly ever religious ones before the universalist creeds arrived.”
There you have it. The Ogun worshipper did not seek to convert or kill the Sango worshipper. The devotee of Obatala did not try to break the ikenga of the devotee of Amadioha. Tolerance was the foundation of the faith of your forefathers. How does adopting this foundational spirit of tolerance and injecting it into the Islam and Christianity you practice in Nigeria today make you any less a Muslim or a Christian? How exactly does the presence of Modees as best man in the wedding of his Christian friend diminish your Christianity?
In Zaria, you are even dividing and killing each other within the same faith along Shiite and Sunni lines imported from the Arab world – with the Army pouring petrol into the fire and committing possible crimes against humanity by mowing down civilians in a residence after clashes initial clashes on a road, all sides trading accusations.
Yet, the Pastor who threw out a Muslim from his Church will not hesitate to break the law by organizing a Christian event to block major roads in Calabar and make life difficult for his fellow Christians locked in a hellish traffic jam. Every Friday, Sambo Dasuki, Nigeria’s greatest thief at the moment, still does very public photo-ops from the prayer mats of the Mosque he attends.
Fundamentalist professions of Islam and Christianity have not stopped you from making Nigeria a cesspool of hate, theft, and corruption.
Tolerance was the foundation of the religion of your forefathers. You are welcome to continue to spit on these ancient religions and condemn them as pagan or idolatry. That is your wahala. But, know this: any Christianity or Islam which requires you to forego the tolerance inherent in the religions of your ancestors is leading you straight to hell for you will steal, hate, and kill in the name of such a Christianity or Islam.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:55am On Dec 17, 2019
joseph1013:
The Muslim Whose Presence Defiled Christ.
Prof. Pius Adesanmi
Modees Usman, one of my protégés, was supposed to come and see me at the Ake Arts and Book Festival last month in Abeokuta. The gentleman is a patriotic Customs officer and, in my estimation, one of the brightest hopes for the sort of pan-Nigeria I envision ceaselessly in my public reflections. A devout Muslim, his sensibilities and advocacy for Nigeria reach across all our fault lines and bitter divisions. He is a picture perfect portrait of my ideal Nigerian. Suffice it to say, he did not make it to Abeokuta for our meeting. However, he sent a carton of non-alcoholic wine to me through another wonderful pan-Nigerian patriot, Remy Binte Oge.
My protégé couldn’t make it to Abeokuta because he had to travel to Calabar to attend the wedding of his childhood friend. He was in fact the designated best man at the occasion. I sent word to him that his attempt to bribe me with a carton of wine would not work: he would still have to pay a fine for failing to somehow find a way to visit me during my last trip to Nigeria.
I had no idea that a little drama was playing out in Calabar…
Modees, obviously, is a Muslim. His best friend who was getting married is a Christian. A Muslim was going to be best man in a Christian marriage! The Christian groom and his Muslim best friend thought nothing of this until wedding day and the officiating Pastor somehow caught wind of the faith of the best man and refused to proceed with the ceremony. It was bad enough for Modees, a Muslim, to have come to defile the body of Christ in his church! To approach the pulpit as the best man in the wedding was adding insult to injury! All entreaties to the Pastor failed. No Muslims allowed here!
The story of this foolish fundamentalist Christian Pastor in Calabar is the story of Nigeria. It is indeed the story of Africa. It is the story of the failure of critical intelligence. It could very easily have happened the other way round. It could have been Modees getting married and his Christian friend being bundled out of the ceremony for defiling a Mosque. The trouble with Nigeria, the tragedy of Africa, is that in a world of mutual connectivity and global influences and interactions, we have not figured out a way of making whatever we accept from the outside, whatever is forced on us from the outside, sit on the solid foundation of our own worldviews and humanity.
We forget that Christianity and Islam did not invade Africa purely as faith. They couldn’t have for they are much more than faith. They are also cultures for they took on the cultures of either their places of origin or their sources of global dissemination. Europeans and Arabs injected a great deal of their cultures and values, of who they are, into the versions of the creeds that they introduced to Africa. Because he lacks critical intelligence in his embrace of these two religions, the African thinks that the African in him must die as a pre-condition for his being a true Muslim or a true Christian.
This is the source of a strain of pathological fundamentalism that is strange even to the 'owners' of those religions in Europe and the Arab world. This explains why the modern Nigerian Christian – the sort who jots his Pastor’s sermon on an iPad – condemns the New Yam Festival in his village as a pagan practice while enthusiastically invading the Ikeja Mall to buy Halloween costumes for his children. That is why people demonstrate peacefully in Saudi Arabia whenever Europe draws cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed but Nigerians kill fellow Nigerians on account of ideological conflicts between Europe and the Middle East.
That is why Modees was thrown out of a Christian wedding in Calabar.
Modees was thrown out because Muslim and Christian faithful in Nigeria have killed the spirit of accommodation, humanism, and tolerance which informed the religions of their forefathers. They do not know that African Traditional Religions, like every other faith, also come complete with values that should inform their approach to the foreign religions they now practice.
Nobody is saying that you should discard your Christianity or Islam and go back to worship Ogun or Amadioha. But, at least, reduce your ignorance of what they thought of the other; reduce your ignorance of how the faith of your forefathers handled difference. Let me invite one of Africa’s foremost thinkers, Professor Ali Mazrui, to instruct you. Let me quote in detail from Professor Mazrui’s book, Resurgent Islam and the Politics of Identity:
“Of the three cultural legacies of Africa (Indigenous, Islamic and Christian) perhaps the most religiously tolerant is the indigenous tradition. It is even arguable that Africa did not have religious wars before Islam and Christianity arrived. Precisely because these two latter faiths were universalist in aspiration (seeking to convert the whole of humankind), they were inherently competitive. In Africa, Christianity and Islam have often been in competition for the soul of the continent…Indigenous African religions on the other hand are basically communal rather than universalist…By not being universalist in that sense, the African traditions have not been in competition with each other for the souls of other people. The Yoruba do not seek to convert the Ibo (sic) to Yoruba religion or vice versa. By not being proselytizing religions, African creeds have not fought with each other. Over the centuries, Africans have waged many kinds of wars with each other but hardly ever religious ones before the universalist creeds arrived.”
There you have it. The Ogun worshipper did not seek to convert or kill the Sango worshipper. The devotee of Obatala did not try to break the ikenga of the devotee of Amadioha. Tolerance was the foundation of the faith of your forefathers. How does adopting this foundational spirit of tolerance and injecting it into the Islam and Christianity you practice in Nigeria today make you any less a Muslim or a Christian? How exactly does the presence of Modees as best man in the wedding of his Christian friend diminish your Christianity?
In Zaria, you are even dividing and killing each other within the same faith along Shiite and Sunni lines imported from the Arab world – with the Army pouring petrol into the fire and committing possible crimes against humanity by mowing down civilians in a residence after clashes initial clashes on a road, all sides trading accusations.
Yet, the Pastor who threw out a Muslim from his Church will not hesitate to break the law by organizing a Christian event to block major roads in Calabar and make life difficult for his fellow Christians locked in a hellish traffic jam. Every Friday, Sambo Dasuki, Nigeria’s greatest thief at the moment, still does very public photo-ops from the prayer mats of the Mosque he attends.
Fundamentalist professions of Islam and Christianity have not stopped you from making Nigeria a cesspool of hate, theft, and corruption.
Tolerance was the foundation of the religion of your forefathers. You are welcome to continue to spit on these ancient religions and condemn them as pagan or idolatry. That is your wahala. But, know this: any Christianity or Islam which requires you to forego the tolerance inherent in the religions of your ancestors is leading you straight to hell for you will steal, hate, and kill in the name of such a Christianity or Islam.

Damn, I wish this kind of sense was more prevalent.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 5:24am On Dec 18, 2019
LordReed:

Damn, I wish this kind of sense was more prevalent.
The author of the seminal article died last year in a plane crash. The death of the brilliant young prof. was tragic, to say the least.

Life is a mystery -- death would leave old and wicked people such as Buhari alone and would snatch great intellectuals from us such as Pius Adesanmi, the likes of which are few and far between in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 7:27am On Dec 18, 2019
gensteejay:

The author of the seminal article died last year in a plane crash. The death of the brilliant young prof. was tragic, to say the least.

Life is a mystery -- death would leave old and wicked people such as Buhari alone and would snatch great intellectuals from us such as Pius Adesanmi, the likes of which are few and far between in Nigeria.

What a tragedy. It is almost as though we collectively lost a few brain cells, making us collectively less rational. My mind weeps.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 9:41pm On Dec 18, 2019
All the Abrahamic religions peddle a false representation of history.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2019
The great flood... a topic of great debate and controvercy all over the world.
One of the biggest issues that I have with it are as follows:
The Bible says the God regretted he had made mankind:
Gen 6:5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them. (NIV)
Why would God lament over a state of affairs that he himself chose to bring about? That implies that either:
a) He is not all knowing (man’s sin / wickedness caught him by surprize - he didn’t know beforehand they were going to make evil choices).
b) Man’s wickedness was part of his plan all along, and the fact that he “regretted” he created them shows that he is a schizophrene (he planned their wickedness but then regrets it afterwards - clear signs of a mental disorder).

—— Leaving The Faith (facebook).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 21, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
The great flood... a topic of great debate and controvercy all over the world.
One of the biggest issues that I have with it are as follows:
The Bible says the God regretted he had made mankind:
Gen 6:5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them. (NIV)
Why would God lament over a state of affairs that he himself chose to bring about? That implies that either:
a) He is not all knowing (man’s sin / wickedness caught him by surprize - he didn’t know beforehand they were going to make evil choices).
b) Man’s wickedness was part of his plan all along, and the fact that he “regretted” he created them shows that he is a schizophrene (he planned their wickedness but then regrets it afterwards - clear signs of a mental disorder).

—— Leaving The Faith (facebook).

I am really curious how they will explain it. Let me make a guess. God gave us free will but he didn't anticipate we would get it totally wrong. grin

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by GoodBadandUgly(m): 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2019
Religious claims go against everything we know in physics, biology and chemistry. So far these tools/methods have been a better explanation of the phenomenons in our natural world.
We now stand on the shoulders of giants and can see further than our elders with better, more accurate tools.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 9:10pm On Dec 21, 2019
GoodBadandUgly:

We now stand on the shoulders of giants and can see further than our elders with better, more accurate tools.

MANY YOUTHS IN MY COUNTRY DISAGREE WITH YOU. THEY SAY "WHAT AN OLD MAN/WOMAN WILL SEE WHILE SITTING, A YOUNG MAN WILL NEVER SEE IT, NOT EVEN WHEN HE CLIMBS THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN TOPS".

THEY BELIEVE THAT THEIR ILLITERATE ELDERS WHO HAVE NEVER LEFT THE CAVES IN THEIR VILLAGES WILL FOREVER KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING ENTIRELY, MORE THAN THE EDUCATED, EXPERIENCED, ADVANCED YOUNG MAN THAT HAS TOURED AROUND THE WORLD.

SAYING THAT THE ELDERS, OR AN OLDER PERSON IS WISER THAN A YOUTH NO MATTER WHAT.......... IS A VERY SILLY ASSUMPTION WITH NO EVIDENCE THAT THE AGE OF A PERSON GUARANTEES WISDOM EVEN WITH THEIR TOTAL LACK OF EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE.
THIS IS TO SAY THAT NO MATTER WHAT WE DO AS YOUNG PEOPLE, NO MATTER WHAT WE STUDY, AND LEARN ABOUT OUR WORLD, WE WOULD ALWAYS BE BACKWARDS IN KNOWLEDGE BEHIND THESE OLD CLOWNS THAT KNOW NOTHING BUT PALM WINE, KOLANUTS, AND SEVEN WIVES.

THAT STATEMENT ALONE IS THE GRAVEST OF INSULT ANY YOUNG PERSON CAN GIVE HIS/HERSELF. ONCE YOU SAY SUCH A THING I IMMEDIATELY DRAW THE BOUNDARY BETWEEN US BECAUSE THAT'S A VERY CLEAR SIGN THAT YOU'RE MENTALLY RETĄRDED.
undecided

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 3:41pm On Dec 23, 2019
GOD. THE HIDE AND SEEK WORLD CHAMPION OF ALL TIME.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 5:26pm On Dec 23, 2019
GoodBadandUgly:
Religious claims go against everything we know in physics, biology and chemistry. So far these tools/methods have been a better explanation of the phenomenons in our natural world.

Teach!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2019
GoodBadandUgly:

Eventhough, i get your point here, we are in absolute awe of our elders for the experience they continously put to bare.

Our elders would often put emphasis onto their awesome guidance when they would say:-

The correct combination in the genius of the Young and the Elderly is that which allows for the world to be a better place.

That is to say, age is never a factor to the authenticity of an idea.

Age is never a factor to the authenticity of a practical solution.

However, except for rare instances of absolute brilliance, i.e Tutankhamun, the 8 year old boy that became Pharaoh of KM.T and reigned for about nine years, for most, age is a huge factor with regards to putting such ideas or practical solution into practise.

These are the reasons that history is highly important.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:45am On Dec 30, 2019
DUMB ARGUMENT #1
I don't believe in evolution
THEREFORE The god my mum believes in must exist.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:05pm On Jan 02, 2020
DUMB ARGUMENT #2
I don't know where the universe came from
THEREFORE The god my mum believes in must exist.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:54am On Jan 03, 2020
DUMB ARGUMENT #3
The world looks designed to me THEREFORE The god my mum believes in must exist.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:04am On Jan 06, 2020
DUMB ARGUMENT #4
I don't know how life began THEREFORE The god my mum believes in must exist.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 06, 2020
joseph1013:
DUMB ARGUMENT #4
I don't know how life began THEREFORE The god my mum believes in must exist.

"Nothing" never existed and 'Nothing ' will never exist.
So your mum's God is either imaginary or just another monster that shouldn't be associated with positivity
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:27pm On Jan 07, 2020
To be fair, theists don't prefer dumb arguments.
But that's all they have.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:03pm On Jan 08, 2020
HOW TO GET MORALITY FROM THE BIBLE

Here, in a few simple steps, is how to get morality from the Bible:

1) Tear out the first 1,000 or so pages. Finding morality in the Old Testament is like finding sweetcorn in shit—there may be some there but it's not worth the effort. The bulk of Hebrew Law and almost all of the actions of God are immoral, criminal or psychopathic.

2) Take a big black marker pen and read through the New Testament carefully.

Delete everything pertaining to Hell. Eternal torture of sentient beings cannot be moral in any code of ethics.

Delete everything that advises slaves to obey their masters. Slavery is immoral today and was immoral then.

Delete everything that says women are second-class citizens who must obey their husbands, must not teach men and must keep quiet in church.

Delete everything that says gay people are evil and should be punished.

Delete everything that tells us to hate our families.

Delete everything that says thinking bad thoughts is a crime deserving of punishment.

Delete everything that says we should accept the laws in the Old Testament (we have already torn them out).

Delete everything that tells us to cut off our hands or testicles or pluck out our eyes.

Delete everything that tells us to eat human flesh and drink human blood.

Delete all the unrealistic suggestions such as not defending yourself or forgiving a thief and then giving him more than he has stolen.

What are you left with? Not much. You could probably sum it up with "love thy neighbour and treat him as you would like him to treat you". Or as people might say today, "Don't be a dick".

Do we really have to plough through 290 pages of bad morals, bad advice, and tall stories to find this little gem? No, we don't—any 10-year-old could give you that advice for nothing.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:54am On Jan 10, 2020
OUR INCREDIBLE JOURNEY TOGETHER

The start of the World Wide Web was an exciting time, I heard, for many people. In the early days at the start of the 1990s, it was very basic; no video, very few businesses (sometimes businesses would be flamed for commercialising the web), simple websites and no social media. In those days, people would spend time musing about how this incredible thing would develop. Some felt sure it was going to be big but no one could really imagine just how big.

The web has given us many wonderful surprises and changed almost every aspect of our lives, but it has done one thing that still astonishes me. I have been inquisitive since childhood. As a child I would be constantly wondering; why? what if? how does that work? Could that be true? and so on. That childhood curiosity has never left me.

In the past, my thoughts would come and go like butterflies. But now, I write them down and post them online. Then something magical happens. Literally, within a few seconds people from everywhere in the country and abroad read them and may add their own thoughts. Within a few days, some hundreds, may be thousands of people, will have read that thought and some will be engaged in heated discussions.

Now my brain has an almost instant, invisible connection to thousands of other human brains. Time and distance have been compressed to near zero. I still find this amazing.

I have been posting on this thread since 2014, some 5 plus years ago now. On average I have posted one thought a day so I have sent hundreds of thoughts out into the world. Before the World Wide Web almost all those thoughts would have been lost, now they are preserved, shared, and often improved upon.

And I am not alone. There are millions, or tens of millions, of people sharing their thoughts too--many of them much smarter than me and with expertise I don't have. Of course, this includes a good proportion of woo-merchants too but we now have a free market for ideas. Surely, the better ideas will rise and the less good ideas will sink?

They said the pen is mightier than the sword but social media and the Internet are mightier than them both. The Internet has started us on a journey. I don't think anyone can be sure where we will end up. We can only be sure it will be a very long way from where we started.

Here is me thanking you for reading my Thoughts and Questions about Religion. May be we will be able to do 5 more years, may be not. All the same, thank you for the encouragement!

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:33am On Jan 13, 2020
WHY WE CANNOT UNDERSTAND GOD

Religious people often say that God is beyond our understanding but how could they possibly know that? Our ability to understand increases over time. Indeed, since the advent of science, it has increased approximately logarithmically.

So when religious people say God is beyond our understanding, are they saying there is a complexity ceiling beyond which humans can never go? How could they know that? How could they possibly know what we will understand in, say, 1,000 years time? Obviously, they can't.

What they really mean when they say God is beyond our understanding is, we cannot make sense of God because God does not make sense.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:10am On Jan 14, 2020
SEEK GOD AND FIND YOURSELF

I remember having a crush on a girl at school when I was 12 years old. And I remember how excited I felt when a mutual friend confided she liked me too. Wow! I expect most of us have had similar experiences.

Once this happened but it turned out to be a joke at my expense--the girl didn't like me at all! On another occasion, I remember feeling enraged when told the school bully had attacked my best friend. I later found out that was not true either.

These stories illustrate an interesting point. Emotions are triggered by beliefs. Your emotions don't care whether your beliefs are true or not. Emotions are just what we feel when certain combinations of hormones and neuropeptides are released in our blood and brain. Emotions have no intelligence but they are so powerful they can overwhelm rational thinking.

We probably all understand this--it's rather obvious. So I wonder why the "You can only find God by getting on your knees and asking him into your heart" argument is so popular. Sure, if you suspend disbelief, if you start to believe someone amazing loves you unconditionally, you will likely get an emotional reaction. Remember, beliefs drive emotions--even when they are not true. No gods are necessary for this process to work.

We know this because people can believe in different and contradictory gods and still get that rush when they "feel" their god's presence. We can even trigger these exact same feelings through meditation, by magnetic stimulation of the brain and in other ways. So we know the human brain can "manufacture" these feelings all on its own.

This is why your feelings can never be evidence for the existence of a god. They are only evidence that you are a normal human being. Nothing more.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:52am On Jan 15, 2020
DON'T LEARN MEDICINE FROM THE BIBLE

Epilepsy was once thought to be caused by demonic possession. If we had all believed that, we would never have discovered it is actually a result of abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Thankfully, some people refused to accept the "magic" cause described in holy scripture, so they investigated and eventually found almost 100 things that can trigger such electrical activity. Then they developed medicines that can stop, or significantly reduce, the frequency of seizures.

But there are still people who prefer to believe scripture over science so they use prayer or exorcism rather than medicine. And their epileptic children continue to suffer and sometimes die.

Over the past 500 years, we have learned a truly staggering amount about our brains, our bodies; the way they can go wrong and the organisms that can attack us. This knowledge has enabled us to create medicines and strategies to avoid and cure a wide range of ailments. As a result, we live longer and less painful lives.

To grasp the magnitude of this, we can look at life expectancy. Across Europe in 1500 CE, life expectancy is estimated to have been around 35 years (it is likely it had changed little since Paleolithic times). Five hundred years later, in 2,000 CE, life expectancy in Europe was 70 years (ranging from 65 in Russia to 83.5 in Andorra). Nowadays, we see measurable increases in life expectancy each decade.

When we consider this vast body of knowledge, one interesting fact emerges—none of it, not one jot or tittle, did we learn from the Bible. It has all come from science. More than that, much of what we read in the Bible is simply wrong.

Science takes us forward, religion holds us back. Science works, religion does not.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ouigy99(m): 3:33pm On Jan 15, 2020
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:31am On Jan 16, 2020
WHY DO BELIEVERS LIE?

When god-believers tell you why they believe and you show their reason is unsound and unreliable, they should immediately stop believing.

If they don't (and they don't), it means they have not told you the real reason they believe.

I wonder why they lie?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:32am On Jan 17, 2020
GOD IS NOT SPECIAL

I never assume religious people are unintelligent when I begin talking to them but I do expect them to use broken, fallacious and thoroughly debunked arguments. No one has ever disappointed me.

It's not surprising. Extremely smart people have been struggling to find a valid argument for the existence of God for at least a couple of thousand years and all have failed.

So, smart or dim, religious people all give me bad arguments. The only difference is smart people are better at concealing the fallacies in their arguments. But they are still there.

If a God exists who loves us and will torture us forever if we don't believe in him, you might think he should have made it a tad easier to be sure he exists. Hiding from those you love so dearly is a strangely bizarre strategy, and one that looks sure to end in tears.

Humans have used immense intellectual resources to discover the size and age of the universe, to understand the human genome and the nature of matter; we have even solved Fermat's last theorem(!) but we are not a jot closer to finding God.

A simple, and fully explanatory, reason we have failed to find God is that he is just like the Babylonian gods, the Egyptian gods, the Greek gods, the Roman gods, the Norse gods and hundreds of other gods.

We have failed to find God not because he is special, but because he is ordinary. Just like all those other gods. We couldn't find any of those either.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:13pm On Jan 19, 2020
Jesus is not coming this year. Who wants to bet with me?

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:42am On Jan 20, 2020
STUPID ATHEISTS

Some religious people, especially those from very devout countries, think the existence of God is so blindingly OBVIOUS that atheists must be very stupid indeed. If you think that, talk to some atheists. That should change your opinion.

You will find the existence of God is not obvious at all. The only thing that's obvious is you haven't thought about this very much.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.