Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,820 members, 7,956,087 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:27 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (112) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (238754 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:35am On Jan 21, 2020
IS IT OK TO MAKE UP YOUR OWN GOD?

Theists often say they need an explanation for the existence of the universe and, since I don't have an explanation, they conclude God did it.

Here's another way to think about it. Ask yourself, would it be sensible to lay in bed one night and invent a god and then conclude that your invented god created the universe? I'm sure no theist would say that is OK. It would be ridiculous, right? Completely bonkers!

But that is almost exactly what all god-believers do. They believe the responsible god was the one they were raised to believe in. That's pot-luck right? Random chance.

How do we know about your god? Some human or humans wrote about it a long time ago. But did those humans invent the god or did the god reveal itself to them? You honestly can't say. You have no idea, have you?

But here is something you do know if you bother to think about it. There is exactly the same amount of evidence for the ancient god as there is for the one you invented in bed. And that is absolutely none.

Any fool can invent a god and history shows that millions of fools will believe those invented gods are real. If you are a god-believer, that includes you.

If you would like to avoid being foolish, the first question you must ask is not, "Who created the universe?", but which gods were invented and which were not? And, until, you can be sure you have found one that was not invented, don't believe in any of them. Simple really.

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:18am On Jan 22, 2020
HOW PRAYER REALLY WORKS

Believers tell us that Jesus answers every prayer but sometimes the answer is "No". OK, but here is the interesting thing...

Some prayers are harder to answer than others. For example, if you lose your car keys, there's a pretty good chance you'll find them and if you pray to Jesus to help you find them, there's a very good chance he will answer your prayer.

However, if your dream is to reduce the suffering of children by ending childhood cancers, you are not likely to succeed even if you work your whole life at it. And, if you ask Jesus to do it for you, there is next to no chance he will answer that particular prayer.

When you look at a lot of examples you will conclude that the easier it is to accomplish a task yourself, the more likely Jesus will answer your prayer with a "Yes".

Since Jesus is omnipotent, there is no prayer he cannot answer so he must have to decide which to answer. You might expect he would use criteria such as how sincere or deserving you are or how much you love him or what would be most beneficial for you in the long term. However, it looks as though his criterion is rather simple--he is more likely to answer prayers for things you can easily do for yourself.

Oddly, it would work in exactly the same way if Jesus did not exist at all.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:26am On Jan 23, 2020
When theists say "We can't create life" or "We don't know how everything began", I suggest adding the word "yet".

It helps.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:54am On Jan 24, 2020
Theists have to make up reasons they believe in God. Atheists just wait for them to find a valid one.

STILL WAITING

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:44pm On Jan 28, 2020
HOW CHRISTIANS DENY THEIR KIDS' RIGHTS

Christians demand that we should all be free to have our own religious beliefs. I agree.

But then they say people must have the right to indoctrinate their children to ensure they follow their parents' religion. If you indoctrinate your children, you restrict their choices when they reach adulthood--you are ensuring they are NOT free to have their own religious beliefs.

Christians must make up their minds, do they agree with free choice or not? The truth is they agree in principle but deny it in practice.

Hypocrites in action.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:03am On Jan 29, 2020
WAS THE HUMAN BRAIN GOD-DESIGNED?

Primates have large brains. Lemurs, baboons, orangutans, chimpanzees, humans and a handful of other species, are primates and their average brain size is double that of other mammals (as a ratio of body-size). The human brain is three times the average size of mammal brains.

The first signs of an enlarging brain were seen in a distant ancestor, Orrorin tugenensis, some 6 million years ago. Orrorin tugenensis was also the first known hominid to develop the skeletal markers for upright walking (changes affecting the head, spine, pelvis, femur, knees, and feet).

A remarkable growth in brain size occurred during the lifetime of Homo erectus, from 1.8 million to 700,000 years ago. During a period of just over a million years, brain size doubled to around 1,000 cubic centimeters. Many scientists regard erectus as the grandfather of our species.

Brain size reached approximately 1,200-1,300 cubic centimeters with the first anatomically modern humans some 230,000 years ago. Since then there have been only very small changes in brain size--both decreases and increases at different times.

But here is the strange thing. Early human brains evolved for communication, social interaction, planning, and problem-solving in a primitive environment in which tools were made of flakes of stone, weapons were sharpened sticks, and in which legs were the only means of transportation. Yet, today, those same brains (or very nearly the same) are used for complex mathematics, to invent machines that can fly to the sun, to pilot machines faster than the speed of sound, to pick apart the atoms our universe is made of, and much more.

How could a brain that evolved to hunt mammoths and fend off attacks from wild animals and neighbouring tribes solve immensely complex problems in Lagrangian mechanics? Does this suggest the human brain did not evolve but was designed and the designer was smart enough to know the kind of world we would have to cope with in a few hundred thousand years?

No, I think there is a much simpler explanation for this. I suggest there are two reasons our mental capabilities have developed hugely whilst our brains are largely unchanged.

The first reason relates to the nature of logic. In it's most basic form, logic is defined by three laws. They are the law of identity, the law of the excluded middle, and the law of non-contradiction. Many people can intuit these laws without learning them formally. Modern formal logic is much more complex with many conventions, symbols, and axioms but you can get a very long way with the three basic laws.

We can liken this to computer design. Ultimately, computers are a huge collection of very simple logic circuits called "gates". These gates are known as the AND gate, the OR gate and the exclusive-OR gate. Each of these gates has just two inputs and one output--very simple but put enough of them together in the right way and you can build a super-computer.

Using the simple laws of logic, you can solve problems, optimise solutions and plan the future. These laws work for finding ways to safely trap a mammoth, and for determining the fundamental structure of matter.

The second reason is our ability to learn and to pass learning to others. If you took the three logic gates and tried to assemble a few million of them to form a super-computer, it would take billions of years. But if someone had already shown you how to use them to add two numbers together, you may be able to work out how to make them multiply two numbers. Building on the successes of others is MUCH easier than starting from scratch. In a few generations, you may have computers that can play games. Before too long you would have your super-computer.

It is the accumulation of learning across generations that accelerates our capabilities. That started by word-of-mouth. The advent of writing dramatically increased our ability to accumulate learning--we no longer had to rely on people to understand and remember all previous knowledge--writing allowed us to store knowledge outside of the human brain.

The introduction of computers gave us all the advantages of writing but made the capture and retrieval of knowledge much faster and computers could be used to increase the speed of calculations dramatically. The Internet has given us another huge boost, especially with its unparalleled ability to distribute knowledge around the world in seconds.

Starting from simple logic, accumulating knowledge across generations and using that knowledge to build increasingly powerful tools to augment the human brain has enabled us to transcend our simple origins.

We have the same brain but we have found better ways to use it.

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 29, 2020
joseph1013:
WAS THE HUMAN BRAIN GOD-DESIGNED?

Primates have large brains. Lemurs, baboons, orangutans, chimpanzees, humans and a handful of other species, are primates and their average brain size is double that of other mammals (as a ratio of body-size). The human brain is three times the average size of mammal brains.

The first signs of an enlarging brain were seen in a distant ancestor, Orrorin tugenensis, some 6 million years ago. Orrorin tugenensis was also the first known hominid to develop the skeletal markers for upright walking (changes affecting the head, spine, pelvis, femur, knees, and feet).

A remarkable growth in brain size occurred during the lifetime of Homo erectus, from 1.8 million to 700,000 years ago. During a period of just over a million years, brain size doubled to around 1,000 cubic centimeters. Many scientists regard erectus as the grandfather of our species.

Brain size reached approximately 1,200-1,300 cubic centimeters with the first anatomically modern humans some 230,000 years ago. Since then there have been only very small changes in brain size--both decreases and increases at different times.

But here is the strange thing. Early human brains evolved for communication, social interaction, planning, and problem-solving in a primitive environment in which tools were made of flakes of stone, weapons were sharpened sticks, and in which legs were the only means of transportation. Yet, today, those same brains (or very nearly the same) are used for complex mathematics, to invent machines that can fly to the sun, to pilot machines faster than the speed of sound, to pick apart the atoms our universe is made of, and much more.

How could a brain that evolved to hunt mammoths and fend off attacks from wild animals and neighbouring tribes solve immensely complex problems in Lagrangian mechanics? Does this suggest the human brain did not evolve but was designed and the designer was smart enough to know the kind of world we would have to cope with in a few hundred thousand years?

No, I think there is a much simpler explanation for this. I suggest there are two reasons our mental capabilities have developed hugely whilst our brains are largely unchanged.

The first reason relates to the nature of logic. In it's most basic form, logic is defined by three laws. They are the law of identity, the law of the excluded middle, and the law of non-contradiction. Many people can intuit these laws without learning them formally. Modern formal logic is much more complex with many conventions, symbols, and axioms but you can get a very long way with the three basic laws.

We can liken this to computer design. Ultimately, computers are a huge collection of very simple logic circuits called "gates". These gates are known as the AND gate, the OR gate and the exclusive-OR gate. Each of these gates has just two inputs and one output--very simple but put enough of them together in the right way and you can build a super-computer.

Using the simple laws of logic, you can solve problems, optimise solutions and plan the future. These laws work for finding ways to safely trap a mammoth, and for determining the fundamental structure of matter.

The second reason is our ability to learn and to pass learning to others. If you took the three logic gates and tried to assemble a few million of them to form a super-computer, it would take billions of years. But if someone had already shown you how to use them to add two numbers together, you may be able to work out how to make them multiply two numbers. Building on the successes of others is MUCH easier than starting from scratch. In a few generations, you may have computers that can play games. Before too long you would have your super-computer.

It is the accumulation of learning across generations that accelerates our capabilities. That started by word-of-mouth. The advent of writing dramatically increased our ability to accumulate learning--we no longer had to rely on people to understand and remember all previous knowledge--writing allowed us to store knowledge outside of the human brain.

The introduction of computers gave us all the advantages of writing but made the capture and retrieval of knowledge much faster and computers could be used to increase the speed of calculations dramatically. The Internet has given us another huge boost, especially with its unparalleled ability to distribute knowledge around the world in seconds.

Starting from simple logic, accumulating knowledge across generations and using that knowledge to build increasingly powerful tools to augment the human brain has enabled us to transcend our simple origins.

We have the same brain but we have found better ways to use it.
Intelligent piece.

As regards your question at the beginning of this post, I feel the way atheists regard God is flawed, though in a much lesser degree than religionists.

When one understands that God is existence itself (not an entity in isolation controlling everything and everyone), that It is the all in all, and that religion is purely man-made, then many issues concerning God will bring less arguments.

Was the human brain God-designed? No, it's a tiny part of God, subject to change and evolution, just like everything else in existence is.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:35pm On Jan 29, 2020
gensteejay:

Intelligent piece.

As regards your question at the beginning of this post, I feel the way atheists regard God is flawed, though in a much lesser degree than religionists.

When one understands that God is existence itself (not an entity in isolation controlling everything and everyone), that It is the all in all, and that religion is purely man-made, then many issues concerning God will bring less arguments.

Was the human brain God-designed? No, it's a tiny part of God, subject to change and evolution, just like everything else in existence is.

How do you know the bolded?

I could say the human brain is not designed by God but it's a large part of God subject to evolution.

Evidence is always the trump card. Where's yours?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed2nd(m): 5:30pm On Jan 29, 2020
gensteejay:

Intelligent piece.

What would be the point of acknowledging the entire existence as God?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2020
LordReed2nd:

What would be the point of acknowledging the entire existence as God?
Your question seems to border on nihilism. Why would one deny the entire existence simply because the term, God, has been abused and bastardized by religions?

It's more reasonable and logical to acknowledge Infinite Intelligence or Universal Consciousness than to deny it.

There comes a time in one's life when logic will not be enough to handle some life's issues.

There's more to life than meets the eye, and life is far more mysterious and deeper than religion or atheism paints it.

The current scientific understanding of a number of key things is low.

Science has still not been to explain the following in detail:
What's the fate of humanity as a race: What is our origin and what is our ultimate destination?
What's consciousness?
Where do dead people go?
What's the origin and evolution of the universe?
How do thoughts form in the human brain?

These are big questions, and I feel answering them will dramatically change how we see life and God (existence/first cause).

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed2nd(m): 10:14pm On Jan 29, 2020
gensteejay:

Your question seems to border on nihilism. Why would one deny the entire existence simply because the term, God, has been abused and bastardized by religions?

It's more reasonable and logical to acknowledge Infinite Intelligence or Universal Consciousness than to deny it.

There comes a time in one's life when logic will not be enough to handle some life's issues.

There's more to life than meets the eye, and life is far more mysterious and deeper than religion or atheism paints it.

The current scientific understanding of a number of key things is low.

Science has still not been to explain the following in detail:
What's the fate of humanity as a race: What is our origin and what is our ultimate destination?
What's consciousness?
Where do dead people go?
What's origin and evolution of the universe?
How do thoughts form in the human brain?

These are big questions, and I feel answering them will dramatically change how we see life and God (existence/first cause).

It is not nihilistic to ask what is the point of something.

Also you have not answered the question.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 29, 2020
joseph1013:

How do you know the bolded?

I could say the human brain is not designed by God but it's a large part of God subject to evolution.

Evidence is always the trump card. Where's yours?
What sort of evidence? Physical?

There's far more substantial evidence in support of the existence of Infinite Intelligence or Universal Consciousness than to suggest otherwise?

Infinity is a concept in Mathematics and Physics representing something endless or boundless.

If you acknowledge there's something called Intelligence, and that the trait can be low or high depending on the entity in question, then it's not reasonable to deny Infinite Intelligence as well.

Acknowledging the existence of Infinite Intelligence or Universal Consciousness is much more reasonable and logical than denying it.

However, the pertinent question remains, is it reasonable that an entity with Infinite Intelligence would have traits like anger, jealousy, insecurity, vindictiveness like all the gods of religion?

That's a big NO, and it would be logically absurd to feel otherwise since anger, insecurity, and jealousy are traits showing a limitation in intelligence.

But does the mere fact that these gods seem fictitious or human-like mean there's nothing like Infinite Intelligence?

That's not reasonable as well.

Going back to the issue of evidence, life isn't black or white, and it's not everything in life that can be explained away with physical evidence.

Sometimes, evidence can come in form of logic or effects of a particular abstract concept.

For instance, no scientist has ever seen an electron due to its extremely small size and extremely high speed, but we know it exists because we can observe and measure its effects.

In the same vein, positing that God is Existence itself or Universal Consciousness Or Infinite Intelligence, and not an entity in isolation, is reasonable.

It's the way of man to find the sum total of things, and applying the same logic to God as the sum total of all that's in existence shouldn't be unreasonable.

All this may not serve as enough evidence for an atheist to acknowledge the existence of God. That's perfectly fine.

However, you may never get the kind of evidence you seek concerning God's existence since no one can really know God.

We, humans, are yet to even fully understand something as minute as an electron or how to achieve a near speed-of-light travel, how then can the human intellect grasp Infinite Intelligence?

Knowing who or what God is, is tantamount to being God, which isn't possible.

When science finally understands things like consciousness, death, then I feel we will be close to getting a better explanation of the First Cause (or God), our origin, and perhaps the origin of many other things in existence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 29, 2020
LordReed2nd:

It is not nihilistic to ask what is the point of something.

Also you have not answered the question.
I won't be able to offer you the kind of answer (or evidence) you seek.

It's like you asking me to show you subatomic particles exist by looking at them.

That's not possible, and the fact that we can't see these extremely tiny particles does not mean they don't exist.

In the same vein, the fact that the human brain cannot grasp all that's in existence (to be a single Universal Consciousness or God) doesn't mean the idea is bogus.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed2nd(m): 11:10pm On Jan 29, 2020
gensteejay:

I won't be able to offer you the kind of answer (or evidence) you seek.

It's like you asking me to show you subatomic particles exist by looking at them.

That's not possible, and the fact that we can't see these extremely tiny particles does not mean they don't exist.

In the same vein, the fact that the human brain cannot grasp all that's in existence (to be a single Universal Consciousness or God) doesn't mean the idea is bogus.

Why should I care about something that can not be articulated into something intelligible? You say I should acknowledge all of existence as god but can't give a reason why?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 29, 2020
LordReed2nd:

Why should I care about something that can not be articulated into something intelligible? You say I should acknowledge all of existence as god but can't give a reason why?
I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not asking you to acknowledge anything. I merely stated my opinion on a post made by the OP.

I don't do preaching, and it's none of my business if an adult chooses to be a nihilist or an atheist.

When an issue is being discussed on a public forum like Nl, I could state my opinion on the subject matter but that doesn't mean I seek to convert any part of the audience to embrace my own beliefs.

My beliefs are personal to me.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:51pm On Jan 29, 2020
African ideals is what brought about the concept of religion in the first instance.

All the Abrahamic religions are fake and malicious ideologies that peddle a false representation of history.

Let's concentrate our focus on real history instead of the fakery and falsehood of the Abrahamic religions.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:59pm On Jan 29, 2020
Africans dont need religion.

Religion is an adaptation of African ideals.

Living a virtuous life in accordance to our own local values is what our continent needs from us.

Stop sourcing from deologies that have been proven to be fake, false and malicious. i.e Christianity, Islam e.t.c
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 12:19am On Jan 30, 2020
Given a hyperthetical situation whereby a Religion sprang up from anyway on the globe it qualifies itself as such, is crystal clean in its approach, supplying us with undisputable facts as well as giving its due credit to all its sources and literature, this best version will still be considered an adaptation of African ideals.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed2nd(m): 1:48am On Jan 30, 2020
gensteejay:

I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not asking you to acknowledge anything. I merely stated my opinion on a post made by the OP.

I don't do preaching, and it's none of my business if an adult chooses to be a nihilist or an atheist.

When an issue is being discussed on a public forum like Nl, I could state my opinion on the subject matter but that doesn't mean I seek to convert any part of the audience to embrace my own beliefs.

My beliefs are personal to me.

Well then, it is not unreasonable to not acknowledge such a god since no reason can be provided for its existence.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 30, 2020
LordReed2nd:

Well then, it is not unreasonable to not acknowledge such a god since no reason can be provided for its existence.
That's OK from your perspective.

People that approach life's issues with an open mind would see enough reasons in the posts I made above.

I don't have the luxury of time for further back-and-forth.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed2nd(m): 1:31pm On Jan 30, 2020
gensteejay:

That's OK from your perspective.

People that approach life's issues with an open mind would see enough reasons in the posts I made above.

I don't have the luxury of time for further back-and-forth.

It is not my perspective at fault here. I ask for a reason to regard existence as god, you can't provide one yet you want to make it my fault? That is not possible. Articulate a reason why I should consider existence as god since you say our picture of god is flawed. You assert you know a way to correct the flaw so go ahead.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 2:35pm On Jan 30, 2020
Religion doesnt own the concept of God, history does.

'Astrology'came about due to foreigners adaptating certain aspects of African history.

'Philosophy" came about due to foreigners adapting certain aspects of African history.

'Religion' came about due to foreigners adapting certain aspects of African history.

'Science' came about due to foreigners adapting aspects of African history.

'Technology' came about due to foreigners adapting certain aspects of African history.

Now back to the African God, God is an African concept.

Obatala is a God.

Horus is a God.

Isis is a Goddess.

Sango is a God.

Osiris is a God.

Osun is a Goddess.

Ra is a God.

Yemoja is a Goddess.

Apollo is a god.

Bacchus is a god

Dionysus is a god.

Ieus is a god.

Mazda is a god.

Romulus is a god.

Sopona is a god.

Zeus is a god.

Not to be conflated with the Almighty God, the most important state of existence.

God is an African concept that both Christianity and Islam has turned into malicious ideology and propaganda.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 2:38pm On Jan 30, 2020
God predates 'Religion'.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 2:53pm On Jan 30, 2020
My thoughts and Questions About Religion?

Africans dont need Religion.

However, only African religions that are exclusive to our continent or our diaspora are considered to be relatively safe.

Any religion and or ideology that originates outside the say so of the African is automatically counterproductive to the African by default.

African dont need 'religion' we only need to concentrate on our own history.

Instead wasting all these hours in Churches and Mosques discussing fakery and falsehood, redirect our energy in educating ourselves with regards to African history.

Retain the structures, change the literature from the Christian Bible and or the Quran into the study of African history.

Adjust our Educational Systems to conform to these same measures.

Promote our local languages to official status.

That is to say, only our local African languages ought to be our Official Languages.

Use our local languages to educate ourselves in our own history as well as all other disciplines.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:46am On Feb 03, 2020
HOW TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON

Nothing on this Earth could persuade me to tie up a living man, force him onto his knees, pull his head back by his hair and hack through his neck, throat, arteries and spine with a knife. I just could not do it. Yet we've seen graphic images of human beings, fuelled by religious fervour, doing exactly this.

I am an atheist and there is not a cell in my body that wants to harm another person. On the contrary, my pleasure is to help people—to do what I can to make their lives better. It literally hurts me to see people (and animals) suffering.

What is the difference between me and murderous Jihadists?

The difference is that I base my morals on reason and empathy. Religious people base their morals on their interpretation of the wishes of gods they cannot show to be real and whose "wishes" were written down by long-dead, superstitious and scientifically ignorant ancestors.

If you take these ancient writings to be the truth, you will have no reason to oppose slavery or the subjugation of women or the killing of gay people. And you may conclude that cutting off a man's head is not a vile atrocity but an act of honour.

My conclusion is different. My conclusion is that reason can make you a better person. That is why we need more reason in the world—much, much more.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:43am On Feb 05, 2020
Stanley Ihugba

While chatting with a friend one day, we saw a rat trying to navigate it's way to a gutter via a busy road with car, tricycle and heavy pedestrian traffic. At first, we thought the rodent wouldn't make it. But like Maradona dribbling through the English team in 1986, it meandered it's way to safety, oblivious of the many dangers it just surmounted. We were so intrigued that I and my friend gave the 'Usain Rat Bolt' a standing ovation.

And then it hit us.

Our daily tussles is reminiscent of the rat's struggle. Not in the sense that we scavenge through dumpsters and gutters hoping to pick up a morsel to live on for the day (well, some of us do, sadly), but in the sense that there are numerous impending dangers we're simply not aware of. Actions and inactions of humans (alongside other factors like nature and machines) create events with reactions that might bode well or otherwise for you. Humanity has come a long way in a short while. In circa 2000 years, we went from wandering for food and living in caves to flying in the air, building skyscrapers and splitting atoms. But we're still very much susceptible to the uncertainties of life. We might have devised means to kill cancerous cells with chemotherapy, but we can't tell who's next to have cancerous cells growth. We might have built luxurious and fast cars but we can't stop accidents. We might study and classify most organisms but we can't easily predict or combat deadly virus outbreaks.We might fly at high attitudes but we can't stop plane crashes yet.

The usual reaction to unfortunate events is to posit that it's the "will of God". This is not only hilarious, but counterproductive. It's hard to imagine a God who sits on its celestial throne and dishes out orders like "Give Steve cancer, make Tony die in an accident and then help Emy win the lottery. Meanwhile, start a wild fire in Australia and get them frozen viruses released to China!". I doubt we would have come this long way with our inventions and contraptions if people crossed them legs and cry "it's the will of God" when faced with bad circumstances. It's a mindset that automatically forecloses seeking out remedies. If Cancer is the will of God, why chemotherapy?

The business of life is not easy. According to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, 99.9% of species that have ever lived HAS GONE EXTINCT. Life is not fair, really. Having this in mind will not stop unfortunate things from happening. But it will guide us to be more careful in the course of living and to also think of solutions, remedies and fixes as much as we can, should things go wrong.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:27am On Feb 06, 2020
The more certain people are that their beliefs are true the more they are afraid to question them.

Strange, isn't it?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:35am On Feb 10, 2020
If you think life is so complex it must have a designer, how did you identify the designer? How did you search for it?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2020
Nothing is more important to a person than their perception about their relationship and or fellowship with what they perceive to be God.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:23am On Feb 13, 2020
How many books written In English would one need someone else to translate.

If to say the Christian Bible isnt occultic or the end product of malicious mysticism, then why is it that you need a translator?

When we go to read a sensible book written in English or any other language for that matter, one doesn’t need a translator.

But when dealing in mysticism, that’s when one would need a key translator.

Can anyone point me to the whereabouts of the master manuscript of the Christian Bible?

Abrahamic religious text is based on zero amount of original history and vast amount of literature.

The Abrahamic religions text is the result of a translation of another translation of another translation of a body of works, a literary essay or a bibliography of fakery and falsehood.

There’s an award of $1000 for anyone who can point to and or provide evidence of such original manuscripts.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:51am On Feb 13, 2020
The African concepts behind the essence of the term 'Religion' is supposed to make us relative to virtuousness.

There's nothing wrong with religion per se, it's the Abrahamic ones that are wholly problematic and ridiculous.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Amujale(m): 11:55am On Feb 13, 2020
Should anyone adopt a God who is not in the person's own image; once a person embraces doctrine that doesnt teach that person to love that person's own kind above any other people, when one's oppressor and saviour; one's God and enslaver are one and the same, such a person becomes the principal agent in the person's own destruction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) ... (130) (Reply)

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.