Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge (12594 Views)

More Looters Will Be Jailed This Year; Nothing Wrong In Handcuffing Metuh – EFCC / Patience Ozokwor Before And After Collecting Her Share Of The 21 Billion Naira / Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Damalex4luv(m): 5:21am On Dec 27, 2014
Why won't he say nothing is wrong when he has been given his own share of the money.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by TheProdigy(m): 5:21am On Dec 27, 2014
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by jogsman01(m): 5:22am On Dec 27, 2014
ok..... i will tell my dad
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Nobody: 5:22am On Dec 27, 2014
Damalex4luv:
Y
Y for Yam
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Classicalmusic: 5:25am On Dec 27, 2014
Yes there's nothing wrong in doing that, yet you didn't realize that there's no "free lunch" anymore. It's really pitiful politics in Nigeria is now like the more you look the less you see situation.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Leebeedo(m): 5:26am On Dec 27, 2014
berem:
OP,the thunder that will fire you eh... Is warming up at National Stadium!
Who even brought the nonsense thread to FP?

Act like a mature person for once lady. I once checked your profile picture and I asked myself if that's really you cos the person I saw looked really mature.
There are so many other ways you could convey your message politely and still make more sense other than being notorious as regards my observation.
Think about my suggestion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by mfm04622: 5:27am On Dec 27, 2014
You have not taken into consideration the fact the CAMA stipulate that companies must not donate to political candidates nor parties. Emzor donated. Other companies did! What have you to say about that?

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Nobody: 5:31am On Dec 27, 2014
babarazy:
The guy is high on xmas food.
And you are high on your ignorance, that dude went on research, you woke up today with an empty head and the best you could do is this?
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by FastShipping: 5:32am On Dec 27, 2014
@Obinoscopy, I can see you viewing this thread and surprised at the speed you moved this thread to front page. If this is how you move threads that favor GMB to front page, no one would have been admonishing or criticizing you as an umpire here.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by InvertedHammer: 5:35am On Dec 27, 2014
/
OP. Thanks for clearing the air.

I keep wondering why most people fail Nigeria Law school exams.

You have cleared all doubts.

Lekwa gi ka aguu gburu as a lawyer.

Honestly, "lawyering" is not your calling.

/

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by dvee2: 5:40am On Dec 27, 2014
Nigerians are very funny people, How can you come on line and deliberately try to mislead people claiming to be a Lawyer. Many SAN have stated this donations are wrong,who are you a charge and bail lawyer to deceive us.
The section you are refering to didnt end at 7, you deliberately stop at seven to deceive us knowing that at sub section 9 and 10 it is an offence under the law to donate beyond a certein amount.

The Electoral Act, 2010 which is what still governs elections in Nigeria stipulates in Section 91 (1-7) that
: Talking about expenditure

The Electoral Act, 2010 which is what still governs elections in Nigeria stipulates in Section 91 (9-10) that
:Talking about Donation

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Redoil: 5:43am On Dec 27, 2014
adaweezy:
Let the truth be told and facts separated from mere beliefs

It saddens me anytime I read about the donation of 21billion naira for the re-election of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and the accompanying comments from Nigerians and particularly some Nigerian students who believe that the law has been violated.

However, as a penultimate law student who is well grounded in the intricacies of law, I have deemed it fit to put an end to this campaign of calumny.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of GEJ as I personally do not want him, I, on the other hand, do not expect those who have been clamouring for the highest office in the land to do so by deceiving Nigerians who may not have the arsenal of knowledge available at their disposal.

I, Olugbemi Olukayode, do make bold to say without any fear of reprisal that the donation of 21billion naira to either the PDP or GEJ's campaign is not a violation of the law.

The Electoral Act, 2010 which is what still governs elections in Nigeria stipulates in Section 91 (1-7) that

'91. -(1) Election expenses shall not exceed the sum stipulated in subsection (2) – (7) of this section.

(2) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Presidential election shall be one billion naira (N1,000,000,000).

(3) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Governorship election shall be two hundred million naira (N200,000,000).

(4) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred in respect of Senatorial seat by a candidate at an election to the National Assembly shall be forty million naira (N40,000,000) while the seat for House of Representatives shall be twenty million naira (N20,000,000)

(5) In the case of State Assembly election, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).

(6) In the case of a chairmanship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expresses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).

(7) In the case of councillorship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be one million naira (N1,000, 000).

Hence, what amounts to a violation of the law is when the expenses incurred exceeds 1billion naira and not when they generate in excess.

From a simple accounting knowledge, we know that there is a great difference between Income and Expenditure, hence, the APC should kindly not mislead the people. If you are to lead the nation, possibly in 2015, you should garner your votes through accurate dissemination of truthful information and not falsehood neither should they tell INEC to prosecute the PDP when it is clear that they haven't violated the law.

Similarly, in section 93(4) of the same Act, the law stipulates that

'4) Every political party sponsoring the election of a candidate shall, within three months after the announcement of the results of the election, file a report of the contributions made by individuals and entities to the Commission.

Hence, the commission shall check if they have violated the law. Thus, in order not to promote falsehood, it is important that the APC wait till such report is submitted to INEC before raising unnecessary dust.

To our brothers and sisters who are supporting any political party, it is important that we disseminate only the right information at all times. To those who are clamouring for GMB, kindly make a choice between voting for him and the INEC ad-hoc job you all registered for. To those clamouring for GEJ, kindly do so in all civility and modesty.

In all, Nigeria belongs to all of us, let us treat it as a collective inheritance and not as a private business.

I still believe that if we start doing the right things now, Nigeria will be the world's most desirable nation to live in by 31st December, 2025.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Yoruba people the so called most civilise people una don hear? Stop posting falshood and lies against gej govt it wont do you any good
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Redoil: 5:46am On Dec 27, 2014
4bobo:
You must be aspiring charge and bail lawyer. You are the defendant as well as the judge. That's why many people think lawyers are liars. So the money generated will be kept in a museum. Smh
you people should stop behaving like kids in the create. If you have any thing to counter him why not bring it forward.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by anonimi: 5:47am On Dec 27, 2014
rasojie:
Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria! Any way you paint it, it is morally wrong to make such financial pledges in an ailing nation like Nigeria where the sufferation speak volumes. this is nothing but daylight rape of our motherland, my signature tells better

I quite agree with you that it is morally wrong to raise so much money, even as pledges given our not-fully recovered socio-economic challenges.
However as the OP argued there may be nothing LEGALLY wrong with the PLEDGES made.

Perhaps the OP may wish to change the title of the thread to read-

- Nothing LEGALLY wrong.........

We should learn to separate emotions from cold, hard facts & informed discussions (as I nor wan use arguements) grin
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Redoil: 5:48am On Dec 27, 2014
dallyemmy:
When people call black white...it reflects who they are on the inside...

I doubt if op knows that 21 is greater 1 and that 1 is less than 21. He must had failed arithmetic woeful in school!
even you yemmy behaving like a spoilt adult. Yoruba people the so called most civilise people una don hear? Stop posting falshood and lies against gej govt it wont do you any good.
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Redoil: 5:49am On Dec 27, 2014
Ruq:
This wasn't enlightening
muslim always hating a xtian leader since the rise of osama bin laden
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by mentorandfriend(m): 5:50am On Dec 27, 2014
venomous:
OK thanks for enlightening those APC supporters.... Who think with their mouths....as a matter of fact GMB and GEJ aren't really different. They both lack defining ideologies....but that doesn't mean I won't vote. Actually I will just be voting for my own personal preference based on no other reason than my love for GEJ.
Who told you that both GMB and GEJ lack defining ideologies? While one believes that stealing is not corruption, the other is the bastion of financial integrity with public funds among all Nigerian policticians ever. Next time when you have nothing to write, kindly read the comments only and go your way. No offence.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by Redoil: 5:57am On Dec 27, 2014
berem:
OP,the thunder that will fire you eh... Is warming up at National Stadium!
Who even brought the nonsense thread to FP?
the chief love peddler of lie with emty brain good mornig
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by egift(m): 6:00am On Dec 27, 2014
Hence, what amounts to a violation of the law is when the expenses incurred exceeds 1billion naira and not when they generate in excess.

So this man is saying, they donated 21 billion naira - so that Jonathan can spend only 1 billion as provided for by the law and squander or refund 20 billion naira?

See corrupt logic. For me, this man is angling for his own slice of the money. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by nduchucks: 6:06am On Dec 27, 2014
@OP, Sir Barrister Olugbemi Olukayode, your submission up there is typical of irresponsible and ignorant acts which make reasonable people question the quality of our educational system. I assume here that you went to law school in Nigeria, and if you did not, I suspect that you obtained your law degree in one of those fly-by-night on-line law schools.

You quoted an irrelevant section 91 of the The Electoral Act of 2010, to justify the apparent criminality by GEJ and his billion naira contributors, in a foolish attempt to cover-up the apparent criminality. Section 91 as you correctly pointed out, pertains to election expense.

What the heck does election expense have to to with the amount of money an individual can contribute to a political party? What you did with your submission is equivalent to a defence lawyer going to court and stating that his client is not guilty of physically abusing his wife after beating her until her eyes were gouged out, because he did not commit the crime of rape. Barrister does that make sense to you?

The relevant sections in the electoral act which you should focus on are section 91 (9) and section 90. phillips70 has already done justice to section 91 (9).

Section 90:

90. - (1) The commission (INEC) shall have power to place limitation on the amount of money or other assets which an individual or group of persons can contribute to a political party.

So Sir, Barrister, your homework is to go and find out the limit which INEC has placed on the said contribution. A first year law student can find this out very easily. Once you've done that, please come back and tell us whether GEJ and his billion naira contributors have violated the law.

Until then, your submission and those of others, blindly defending GEJ and his gang of rogues will be ignored.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by anonimi: 6:07am On Dec 27, 2014
egift:

So this man is saying, they donated 21 billion naira - so tha Jonathan can spend only 1 billion as provided for by the law and squander or refund 20 billion naira?

See corrupt logic. For me, this man is angling for his own slice of the money. What a shame.

Have they actually donated cash worth N21 billion or PLEDGED the amount, which is subject to actual receipt
Please find out and clarify adequately before you make further comments that may potentially embarrass you.
Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by philips70(m): 6:10am On Dec 27, 2014
anonimi:

I quite agree with you that it is morally wrong to raise so much money, even as pledges given our not-fully recovered socio-economic challenges.
However as the OP argued there may be nothing LEGALLY wrong with the PLEDGES made.

We should learn to separate emotions from cold, hard facts & informed discussions (as I nor wan use arguements) grin

He is wrong. He purposely left out sub section 9. Read it in my earlier comment. It's not a good thing for a youth to mislead other youths in matters of this nature no matter what we stand to gain from it in the interim.

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by anonimi: 6:15am On Dec 27, 2014
philips70:
He is wrong. He purposely left out sub section 9. Read it in my earlier comment. It's not a good thing for a youth to mislead other youths in matters of this nature no matter what we stand to gain from it in the interim.

Na who you dey give work of to go dey do boys scout for search your earlier post grin
As far as THIS post is concerned you have also "purposely left out sub section 9." What say you in your defence
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by egift(m): 6:15am On Dec 27, 2014
anonimi:

So you are blindly telling us nothing illegal in the donation as well? shocked shocked shocked

Chisos! Why did you allow Jonathan to take away your brain? What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by anonimi: 6:19am On Dec 27, 2014
egift:

So you are blindly telling us nothing illegal in the donation as well? shocked shocked shocked

Chisos! Why did you allow Jonathan to take away your brain? What a shame.

They have NOT donated yet. They have PLEDGED the amounts stated.
Donation occurs only when the amounts stated publicly is actually received in designated accounts, usually far away from the eyes of the public, not so

That is where philips70's reference to sub section 9 is null & void at THIS point in time.
Clearly!!!

I will ignore the insults to keep us on track of this very interesting and educating discussion.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by egift(m): 6:20am On Dec 27, 2014
anonimi:
Have they actually donated cash worth N21 billion or PLEDGED the amount, which is subject to actual receipt
Please find out and clarify adequately before you make further comments that may potentially embarrass you.
Cheers!

So they only Pledged the money so that they will not donate it to Jonathan?

PDP and their corrupt agents of confusion. Now they want to tell us the donation made on National TV was just our imaginations. Jonathan must be voted out to stop insulting the sensibilities of majority of Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by BossTtdiamonds(m): 6:21am On Dec 27, 2014
adaweezy:
Let the truth be told and facts separated from mere beliefs

It saddens me anytime I read about the donation of 21billion naira for the re-election of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and the accompanying comments from Nigerians and particularly some Nigerian students who believe that the law has been violated.

However, as a penultimate law student who is well grounded in the intricacies of law, I have deemed it fit to put an end to this campaign of calumny.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a supporter of GEJ as I personally do not want him, I, on the other hand, do not expect those who have been clamouring for the highest office in the land to do so by deceiving Nigerians who may not have the arsenal of knowledge available at their disposal.

I, Olugbemi Olukayode, do make bold to say without any fear of reprisal that the donation of 21billion naira to either the PDP or GEJ's campaign is not a violation of the law.

'91. -(1) Election expenses shall not exceed the sum stipulated in subsection (2) – (7) of this section.

(2) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Presidential election shall be one billion naira (N1,000,000,000).

(3) The maximum election expenses to be incurred by a candidate at a Governorship election shall be two hundred million naira (N200,000,000).

(4) The maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred in respect of Senatorial seat by a candidate at an election to the National Assembly shall be forty million naira (N40,000,000) while the seat for House of Representatives shall be twenty million naira (N20,000,000)

(5) In the case of State Assembly election, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).

(6) In the case of a chairmanship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expresses to be incurred shall be ten million naira (N10,000,000).

(7) In the case of councillorship election to an Area Council, the maximum amount of election expenses to be incurred shall be one million naira (N1,000, 000).

From a simple accounting knowledge, we know that there is a great difference between Income and Expenditure, hence, the APC should kindly not mislead the people. If you are to lead the nation, possibly in 2015, you should garner your votes through accurate dissemination of truthful information and not falsehood neither should they tell INEC to prosecute the PDP when it is clear that they haven't violated the law.

Similarly, in section 93(4) of the same Act, the law stipulates that

'4) Every political party sponsoring the election of a candidate shall, within three months after the announcement of the results of the election, file a report of the contributions made by individuals and entities to the Commission.

Hence, the commission shall check if they have violated the law. Thus, in order not to promote falsehood, it is important that the APC wait till such report is submitted to INEC before raising unnecessary dust.

To our brothers and sisters who are supporting any political party, it is important that we disseminate only the right information at all times. To those who are clamouring for GMB, kindly make a choice between voting for him and the INEC ad-hoc job you all registered for. To those clamouring for GEJ, kindly do so in all civility and modesty.

In all, Nigeria belongs to all of us, let us treat it as a collective inheritance and not as a private business.

I still believe that if we start doing the right things now, Nigeria will be the world's most desirable nation to live in by 31st December, 2025.

God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Stop deceiving Nigerians with your cunny tactics. Not all of us are gullible, the Intelligent one's will always spot your flaws

Why did you stop at section 7, what happened to section 8 and 9. Your impishness will one day lead you straight to hell. Mstcheeeewww

Section 91 (9) of the 2010 Electoral Act states

(9) No individual or other entity shall donate more than one million naira (N1,000,000) to any candidate.

Entity according to my dictionary states

en·ti·ty [éntətee]
(plural en·ti·ties)
noun
1. object: something that exists as or is perceived as a single separate object
2. philosophy existence: the state of having existence
3. philosophy essential nature: the essence or character of something

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Then the follow up in section 91 (10) states

(10) A candidate who knowingly acts in contravention of this section commits
an offence and on conviction shall be liable –
(a) in case of presidential election to a maximum fine of N1,000,000.00 or
imprisonment of 12 months or both;

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by philips70(m): 6:23am On Dec 27, 2014
anonimi:

Na who you dey give work of to go dey do boys scout for search your earlier post grin
As far as THIS post is concerned you have also "purposely left out sub section 9." What say you in your defence

You have it plus subsection 10!

Section 91 (9) of the Electoral Act stipulates that an individual or other entity shall not donate more than N1, 000,000.00 to any candidate.

It is as clear as the crystal that all those individuals, groups of individuals and companies that donated more than N1 Million towards the campaign of President Jonathan have contravened Section 91 (9) of the Electoral Act.

Section 91 (10) of the Electoral Act says that candidate who knowingly acts in contravention of this section commits an offence and on conviction is liable in the case of Presidential election, to a maximum fine of N1, 000,000.00 or imprisonment for a term of 12 months or both.

Hope OP is not from your alternate moniker sha? You guys are becoming seriously desperate. Anything to sway the minds of determined Nigerians. Reno have never been this busy!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by PassingShot(m): 6:23am On Dec 27, 2014
4bobo:
You must be aspiring charge and bail lawyer. You are the defendant as well as the judge. That's why many people think lawyers are liars. So the money generated will be kept in a museum. Smh

grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by idee91: 6:24am On Dec 27, 2014
Wake up early mormor dey talk trash. ...
Am a law student too.... u can kiss my arse
Re: Nothing Wrong With Jonathan's 21 Billion Pledge by PassingShot(m): 6:24am On Dec 27, 2014
BossTtdiamonds:

Stop deceiving Nigerians with your cunny tactics. Not all of us are gullible, the Intelligent one's will always spot your flaws

Why did you stop at section 7, what happened to section 8 and 9. Your impishness will one day lead you straight to hell. Mstcheeeewww

Section 91 (9) of the 2010 Electoral Act states

(9) No individual or other entity shall donate more than one million naira (N1,000,000) to any candidate.

Entity according to my dictionary states

en·ti·ty [éntətee]
(plural en·ti·ties)
noun
1. object: something that exists as or is perceived as a single separate object
2. philosophy existence: the state of having existence
3. philosophy essential nature: the essence or character of something

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Then the follow up in section 91 (10) states

(10) A candidate who knowingly acts in contravention of this section commits
an offence and on conviction shall be liable –
(a) in case of presidential election to a maximum fine of N1,000,000.00 or
imprisonment of 12 months or both;

GBAM!

I tell you, JONATHANIANS have lost it.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Full Speech Of President Buhari At The AU Summit / Governor Rochas Okorocha Covers Media Room Hub Magazine / Court Bars Finance Minister, Others From Slashing Salaries Of Medical Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.