Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. (22422 Views)

Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? / Can Tithe Be Shared Amongst The Church, Stranger, Widow And The Poor? / Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by JoshuaSG: 9:19am On Dec 04, 2022
For me, I do as the spirit leads.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by BreconHills(m): 9:23am On Dec 04, 2022
Sister, you have paid your 'tithe'. God will bless you 1000 times more for that act of kindness than if you had paid the money to your church ( so called ).

In fact , there is nowhere in scripture where you are commanded to pay any tithe or even offerings

Tithing is an Old Testament concept which was really for the levites and priests . Remember we are now the temple of God and as priests of God with our high priest Jesus , there is absolutely no justification for either paying or receiving the tithe. In most cases you are enriching your pastor while your relatives and friends or even brethren who you could have helped , languish in poverty and need.

Now let me tell you something, your pastor is not God , so next time he or one of the church leaders asks for your tithe, just tell him/them that you have obeyed God instead of Man .

If they start to instill fear into you through deceptive bible twisting and bullying, just leave his church and go somewhere else.

You did the right thing and you are blessed for it in abundance.

You are right but do you know that the tithe that Israel paid was in food? Only when the place to deposit the food was too far were they to turn it to money?

It is also not discussed by many that there is a part of tithe that is to buy whatever they like and consume it. I can provide the passages for anyone interested.

The objective of tithe is to provide for the poor and the levies as well as bring joy to the family consuming products they desire.

https://www.tithing.com/blog/reason-why-israel-only-tithed-food/
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by bdon123(m): 9:25am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
I just like the christian on Nairaland to help me throw more light to this,
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.
First pls note tithe is a scam.There is no such thing as tithe.Abraham only gav tithe after war frm spoils of war n it was to d gentiles,one of d tribes of Israel.Is ur pastor a gentile?If u wanna donate to d house of God pls go ahead....bt dont claim u paying tithe as its a scam
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by benjanny(m): 9:26am On Dec 04, 2022
Yes in my opinion
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by phemmyfour: 9:27am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.
That's what tithe and any monetary and non monetary offering is meant for. To share among the needy from the common purse

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse that there may be meat in mine house
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Angelfrost(m): 9:30am On Dec 04, 2022
Fiscus105:

Tithe is for God and not someone in need or in excess.

But u can give more than ur 10% of ur income for someone in need.

We should endeavor to stop hiding under, someone in need and avoiding tithe, if you are paying tithe, it doesn't stop you from giving people money, not only who are in need , but also who have in excess.

Please, don't be ignorant and heretic!

How is Tithe for God??! Does He delight in the fats of bulls and rams, or does he spend currency?!!

Tithe was simply an instruction given to the Israelites/Jews in order for the non working Levites to have a portion from the storehouse.

We no longer have Levites (this is Biblical)...!

No one is expressly called to "Full-time" ministry or directed to claim Levite in order to feed off Tithes.

This is why we now have a shocking proliferation of churches and ministries where people now claim to be full-time clergymen meant to do nothing but be fed and clothed off the backs of working believers under the threat of Divine damnation!

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by ictplotter(m): 9:36am On Dec 04, 2022

except its a direction from God to do so it should be paid to the church u worship in
Stupid and confused Christianity, same Christians will come n tell you church is not the physical building but the members in it.
Since members are the church, that means it's the members that suppose to receive tithe not pastor or the physical building.
U just need to Stupid spiritually to understand Christianity the religion of the world notorious criminal called saul.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by osewanu(m): 9:44am On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:
At the risk of sounding legalistic, you cant give ur tithe to any other place except ur local church where you are been fed the word. Malachi 3 is very clear on that. Also, tithes in the OT were administered by Levi priests (Pastors in our case).
Every giving has its place, tithes, offerings, giving to missions, alms, to parents etc have their place in the scriptures and they should be separated.

Pastors are not levites
Pastors are not levites
Pastors are not levites

The bible is clear, priests are to be descendants of the priest of levi. See Leviticus 21:1-24

Lets stop this deception

Give other reasons for tithes please but skip this abeg.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Premiumwriter: 9:45am On Dec 04, 2022

except its a direction from God to do so it should be paid to the church u worship in
when the pharisees saw his disciple plucking ears of corns from the farm on sabbath day, they accused them and say they are not supposed to do that.

But Jesus told them, that even David and his soldiers went into the temple and ate the shew bread that was meant only for the priest.

He said, God desire mercy above sacrifice. He desire we treat each other more than we try to bribe him.

The same thing he said when Samuel spoke to Saul and said obidient is better than sacrifice.

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by lotkyes200: 9:47am On Dec 04, 2022
Bible say he that gives to the poor lends to the Lord and he will repay him.

But when you Pay your tithe in the house of God he God rebuke the enemy over you with also a blessing
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Premiumwriter: 9:49am On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:
At the risk of sounding legalistic, you cant give ur tithe to any other place except ur local church where you are been fed the word. Malachi 3 is very clear on that. Also, tithes in the OT were administered by Levi priests (Pastors in our case).
Every giving has its place, tithes, offerings, giving to missions, alms, to parents etc have their place in the scriptures and they should be separated.
where exactly did levites transformed into pastor?

All the disciples preached without collecting a dime as tithe.

When needs arises, the church contributes "every man according to his ability"

But here you are creating your own levites and bringing innocent children under the yoke. God will judge everyone for all this wrongful teachings

2 Likes

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by onyemaair: 9:51am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

You did very well. I can't fault you, but make sure you give your tithe to God subsequently. His own is his own.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Salt06(m): 9:51am On Dec 04, 2022
MrColdsweat:

The church is not God's house. It's a place people gather to worship God. God is everywhere and cannot be restricted to a particular building.

Okay.

Well, By God's house, i meant where you are spiritually fed the word of God and fellowship with other believers
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by onyemaair: 9:52am On Dec 04, 2022
lotkyes200:
Bible say he that gives to the poor lends to the Lord and he will repay him.

But when you Pay your tithe in the house of God he God rebuke the enemy over you with also a blessing

God bless you.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Premiumwriter: 9:53am On Dec 04, 2022
chosen124:
this month am not going to pay tax from my salary to the government i ll rather give it to someone in need in my neighborhood.
what do u think will happen to me

we belong to another kingdom - the kingdom of Christ
paying tithes doesn't stop us from helping the needy amongst us.
lolz.

A so called Christian equate government with his church.

Very appalling.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Fcwilly: 9:58am On Dec 04, 2022
elantraceey:
What does the bible instruct?

Read Deuteronomy 14 22 to the end , be guided.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by forghe(m): 9:58am On Dec 04, 2022
You shouldn't even be paying tithe.
We don't have livites now.
Tithing is of the old testament for the wefare of livites who were not allowed to do any other work apart from the work of God in the sanctuary.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by legennd2: 9:59am On Dec 04, 2022
Brooktrader:

So because the church is no longer as it was, it means you should disobey the instructions of God?

Were there no poor people during the time of Abraham? Why then did he pay his tithes to Melchizedek? What does that tell you?

Melchizedek was not a church. Is there an instruction in the bible saying you must take you tithe to church? Did I say she should not take the tithe to church because the church is not what it was?
Did you even read?
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Fcwilly: 10:00am On Dec 04, 2022
Deuteronomy 14 22 to the end.

You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year.

14:23 And you shall eat before the Lord your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always.

14:24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the Lord your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the Lord your God has blessed you,

14:25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the Lord your God chooses.

14:26 And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

14:27 You shall not forsake the Levite who is within your gates, for he has no part nor inheritance with you.

14:28 “At the end of every third year you shall bring out the tithe of your produce of that year and store it up within your gates.

14:29 And the Levite, because he has no portion nor inheritance with you, and the stranger and the fatherless and the widow who are within your gates, may come and eat and be satisfied, that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by GlobTrotter: 10:02am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
tithe and giving of arms are two different things.you.dont give what belongs to God as arms. If you have called it tithe, let it be what you called it.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by kunle75(m): 10:03am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

Don't let anyone confuse you, you have done the right thing in my own opinion.
Jesus once said as long as you help others who are in need, then you have done his will.

As for me you are on course, I do that alot,infact my 2022 first quarter 1/10th was donated to homeless people.
I know how much God has bless me with this year alone for that singular acts.

They twist alot of Bible passage with different connotations in Naija all in the name of God,but not so here,Infact the church send me letter detailing all my tithe and contributions for the entire year to file for my taxes at year end.

Just be at peace with your self
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by GlobTrotter: 10:03am On Dec 04, 2022
legennd2:

Melchizedek was not a church. Is there an instruction in the bible saying you must take you tithe to church? Did I say she should not take the tithe to church because the church is not what it was?
Did you even read?
Malachi 3:10-12 "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Zeewirld: 10:06am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
...Yes.You just paid your tithes... Don't allow anyone guilty trap you...They are varied Bible verses to support that
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by lawrenzooo: 10:07am On Dec 04, 2022

It's because of mind set like this that Jesus taught Matthew 25:42-46.

And the teaching of the good Samaritan.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Zeewirld: 10:08am On Dec 04, 2022
GlobTrotter:

Malachi 3:10-12 "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.

...The tithes in this Verse is foods and crops from the ground because the Leviticus were not working
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by princewarri1985: 10:12am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
you did the right thing! Because as a kid growing up i thought they normally take our tithe to God, but i later realize that na the pastors dey eat am. i have a friend back then in lagos who normally take his tithe to orphanage homes, and he is very rich and blessed beyond human comprehension. the ball is now in your court, you make your choice either to take your tithe to all these pastors or take it to those who really need it. take your tithe to orphanage home or those who really need them or take it to all these greed pastors with private jets, YOU DECIDE AND MAKE YOUR CHOICE.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Zeewirld: 10:13am On Dec 04, 2022
kunle75:

Don't let anyone confuse you, you have done the right thing in my own opinion.
Jesus once said as long as you help others who are in need, then you have done his will.

As for me you are on course, I do that alot,infact my 2022 first quarter 1/10th was donated to homeless people.
I know how much God has bless me with this year alone for that singular acts.

They twist alot of Bible passage with different connotations in Naija all in the name of God,but not so here,Infact the church send me letter detailing all my tithe and contributions for the entire year to file for my taxes at year end.

Just be at peace with your self
...Yea...So true... I know of a man that won't send shishi to his parents for months with the excuse of I don't have money..Yet he never misses paying his tithes.... I know another who couldn't/wouldn't contribute to the fund raising done to secure the release of a friend that was kidnapped because the only money left on him was his Tithes!

Most people have lost their humanity and can't read the Bible indeptly to understand Daddy's words.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by lawrenzooo: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:

Levite were not allowed to work in those days but today you find either the pastor or his wife has other source of income.
My church for example the pastor's wife is a nurse.

Any need met in the name of the Lord whether it's with your tithe or not is always rewarded.

I wonder why you people only stick to Malachi when it comes to tithe...

Una no dey see other scriptures like Deuteronomy 14:28 and other scriptures.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by pointzee: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2022
It is better to help someone actually in need rather than fattening the pastors who are richer than you are and will end up using your tith to buy more private jets for the nuclear famy pleasure. You did very well. God bless U.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by pointzee: 10:18am On Dec 04, 2022
It is better to help someone actually in need rather than fattening the pastors who are richer than you are and will end up using your tith to buy more private jets for their nuclear family pleasure. You did very well. God bless U.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Cajal(m): 10:22am On Dec 04, 2022
That's correct
The essence of the tithe is to lift the poor whom pastors in churches could easily identify but if an individual can also discern them then that's fine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Joshua Iginla Gives His Personal Assistant A Four Bedroom Duplex / Rape Allegation: Lawyers Want Fatoyinbo Tried In Lagos / Fufeyin: Pastor John Mark Ighosotu Breaks Silence, Says He Is Not On The Run, Pe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.