Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,341 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. (22306 Views)

Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? / Can Tithe Be Shared Amongst The Church, Stranger, Widow And The Poor? / Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by pongwa(m): 11:16am On Dec 04, 2022
komekn:

First of all you need to define church and make a demarcation between the old Levitical order as personified witu the Synogogue.

Who is the new testament church of Christ ❓

And understand the Church is not the embodiment of God � it may indeed be a part of it but also man is a part of God. But in the same vein not all men and not all Churches care of God .

Giving to God is not synonymous with giving to the Church, BE VERY CLEAR.
this man is confused, no offense

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by CrownFemi: 11:20am On Dec 04, 2022

except its a direction from God to do so it should be paid to the church u worship in

Where did bible say, specifically, that you must pay tithe to church??
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by BreakingNews21: 11:20am On Dec 04, 2022
Of course. Help those truly in need in the world.
I still don't know or understand why some so-called religious ppl need several private jets.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by CrownFemi: 11:22am On Dec 04, 2022
Onliie:
Your question should be directed at someone else

Save the dying soul
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 11:23am On Dec 04, 2022
komekn:

You have a reprobate mind.

How can you make a comparison of process and principal by what is done in a blood thirsty satanic cult , "Ogboni fraternity ". That's the error here with the standards and principles of God . There can never be any COMPARISON light and darkness don't meet.

[s]With regards to the word of God it's clear there is to nothing decode. [/s]

But born of a spirit of disobedience we seek ways to circumvent and or articulate it into modern day Norms and values that are palatable to our flesh .

Look in the mirror. It's you who have a reprobate mind.

I have only pointed why people do not fear God as they should. They tend to negotiate with God when He gives instructions but would never dare in a satanic frat.

You need the Holy Spirit to decipher and decode the word of God.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Matthew 16:17.. Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 11:26am On Dec 04, 2022
CrownFemi:

Where did bible say, specifically, that you must pay tithe to church??

Don't you know the bible is cryptic and you need the Holy Spirit to point to you?

Have you not read ?

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, [b]he shall teach you all things, [/b]and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Tayorshd2(m): 11:27am On Dec 04, 2022
Infact God will be more happier with what u have done .....
It's still better than to us it to stake bet and lose
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 11:27am On Dec 04, 2022
BreakingNews21:
Of course. Help those truly in need in the world.
I still don't know or understand why some so-called religious ppl need several private jets.

So it is unbelievers who should use private jets?
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 11:29am On Dec 04, 2022
Tayorshd2:
Infact God will be more happier with what u have done .....
It's still better than to us it to stake bet and lose

She did that which was right in her eyes.. Not God's eyes.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by shibanbo(m): 11:30am On Dec 04, 2022
Sister, you have paid your 'tithe'. God will bless you 1000 times more for that act of kindness than if you had paid the money to your church ( so called ).

In fact , there is nowhere in scripture where you are commanded to pay any tithe or even offerings

Tithing is an Old Testament concept which was really for the levites and priests . Remember we are now the temple of God and as priests of God with our high priest Jesus , there is absolutely no justification for either paying or receiving the tithe. In most cases you are enriching your pastor while your relatives and friends or even brethren who you could have helped , languish in poverty and need.

Now let me tell you something, your pastor is not God , so next time he or one of the church leaders asks for your tithe, just tell him/them that you have obeyed God instead of Man .

If they start to instill fear into you through deceptive bible twisting and bullying, just leave his church and go somewhere else.

You did the right thing and you are blessed for it in abundance.

You said its old testament,fine,but why do you say Amen to psalm 23,Jeremiah 33vs3 etc in the old testament,why not discard them also

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by amadiwati(m): 11:37am On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
I just like the christian on Nairaland to help me throw more light to this,
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.

What you did was offering.

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by observanc1: 11:42am On Dec 04, 2022
Onliie:
so if your family member is dying in hospital, you would rather pay tax than pay the bill for treatment? Urgent cases need different approach
tax is deducted at source unlike tithe
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Sniper101(m): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:
I think it is plain in the bible where tithe should be paid, Mal 3:10 God already said it should be brought to His house. Read any translation, they will all tell u the same.

No mind pagans, heathens, atheists and so_called Christians in this Forum wey dey wan always think say Dem wise pass God. Or that they're more selfless and kindhearted than God almighty.

In Malachi 3:10, it is clearly written, "Bring ye your tithes and offerings into my store house, that there may be food in my house".

If anyone feels he or she is so "righteous" and very compassionate, after going to drop their tithe in a reputable church, they should deep their hands into their pockets AGAIN and go give to the poor and the needy.

"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's,
and to God what is God's
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2022
Tithe can only be given to God through Church, pastor, prophet.
Tithe is not gift.
Malachi 3 vs 10.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by justmondris: 11:58am On Dec 04, 2022
Your personal opinion does not change the word of thou Lord. God instructed us to pay our tithes to the church and not to the poor or the needy. You need to know the difference between paying your tithes and giving to the needy. Both operates on different covenants of God and both attract different kinds of blessing. If you decided to give your tithe money to the needy instead of paying it to the church, God will also bless you because it is written give and it shall be given unto you. However, you have not paid your tithe and God may not honor his covenant of tithing in your life.

I will advice you to always pay your tithe to the church and help the needy from your personal money.

Sister, you have paid your 'tithe'. God will bless you 1000 times more for that act of kindness than if you had paid the money to your church ( so called ).

In fact , there is nowhere in scripture where you are commanded to pay any tithe or even offerings

Tithing is an Old Testament concept which was really for the levites and priests . Remember we are now the temple of God and as priests of God with our high priest Jesus , there is absolutely no justification for either paying or receiving the tithe. In most cases you are enriching your pastor while your relatives and friends or even brethren who you could have helped , languish in poverty and need.

Now let me tell you something, your pastor is not God , so next time he or one of the church leaders asks for your tithe, just tell him/them that you have obeyed God instead of Man .

If they start to instill fear into you through deceptive bible twisting and bullying, just leave his church and go somewhere else.

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by justmondris: 11:59am On Dec 04, 2022
God instructed us to pay our tithes to the church and not to the poor or the needy. You need to know the difference between paying your tithes and giving to the needy. Both operates on different covenants of God and both attract different kinds of blessing. If you decided to give your tithe money to the needy instead of paying it to the church, God will also bless you because it is written give and it shall be given unto you. However, you have not paid your tithe and God may not honor his covenant of tithing in your life.

I will advice you to always pay your tithe to the church and help the needy from your personal money.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by justmondris: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Both the old and the new covenants are the word of God.

Looking you will but you can't see, hearing you will but you can't get the sense! Matthew 13:13

My original post says "old covenant tithing is unchristian" but as usual you rushed in to quote me instead of humbly asking if there is anything like New Covenant tithing! Matthew 7:7-8

Well i have told you "We (JWs) know how to pay our TITHES" you aren't on the same page with us so go and resolve your issues with your own people.

As for JWs we must pay our TITHES but we won't TEACH you how we're doing so in spirit and truth {John 4:24} because you're not one of the sheep belonging to our Master, Lord and King Christ Jesus! John 10:27
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Opinedecandid(m): 12:03pm On Dec 04, 2022

I'm so glad a Christian like you is on Nairaland and you were early enough to preach the true gospel of Christ to all the ignorant believers.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by escavros: 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2022
Hi,

There is tithe, offering, seed, almsgiving, and free will offering.

If you have so much to meet the need of the person and to still pay your tithe, pls do both.

However, if you do not have more than enough, to meet both needs, you may give the tithe to meet the need (remember to present it to God in prayer either before or after the act as your tithe)

Tithes are to meet the need in the church or the ministry of Christ which is the ministry of Love (loving your neighbors as you love your self and, doing to others as you want done to you)

It is written ; Bring ye the tithes and offering that there may be meat [or supply to meet needs] for my house. (Malachi 3:10)

May the blessings of God never depart from your life in jesus holy name
Amen

blink:
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by hspda: 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2022

Old and new testament of the bible is there for you to understand time and season. God's word in the Bible has no Old and New testaments. So Malachi 3 Vs 10 is one that should obeyed just like other words of God.

I am in full support of the OP giving out the money to the needy because that what I can do 100%. However, you might be wrong in your tithing believe. In the days of old, there were priests and workers who solely dedicate their lives to serving God, and they had to eat from the tithes. Till now, we still have priests and workers that dedicate their lives for service., therefore tithing is still needed.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by VHILL: 12:08pm On Dec 04, 2022
Capital NO
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by desiredhome: 12:08pm On Dec 04, 2022
id2019:

I will pay for the bill for the treatment to save the person if that’s the only money I have , then I will know I am owing God that same money and I will give it to the church when I have the money
Lol at owing God,.....you can't pay God, the only way you can pay God is giving back or giving to the real people in need, the poor amongst you........ obedience is better than sacrifice...........

If you ask why there are so much poverty in the land today, people like you will blame it on Buhari, APC evil party, politicians etc, but will exonerate the pastorprenours that members have been contributing to.........
The only reason I should give to that church is in the case I have needs, or for the purpose of the needy, can also get assistant from the church whom I am a member and also contributed to.......
But today the game have changed, today every corner you go is a church yet the wickedness/poverty keep increasing..........
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by legennd2: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2022
GlobTrotter:

Malachi 3:10-12 "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house, and thus put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts; see if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you an overflowing blessing.

Not a commandment but promise. So what exactly does God's storehouse mean? And what purpose will that food serve? God is not rigid.
If you are asked by Him to give ur tithe to the needy, you are better off doing so. No human being is in the position to tell whether this sister in this case has disobeyed God or not. Only God knows. That is why I adviced that she should not make a habit of it but be s sure that she pays her tithe wherever and However God wants it. Simple!
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Mayeldah(m): 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2022
Tithing as practiced by present day Pentecostal churches is a scam. I am a Christian and I don't tithe anymore. I am not under the law.

Check around, tithers are not the most prosperous. There are tithers that are doing well and there are those who are extremely poor. So their level prosperity is not a function of their tithing.

Give to God, pay your offerings, sow seeds if led, contribute towards the progress of your church but don't let one pastor dictate to you how you spend your salary.

That Adeboye and Oyedepo preaches it doesn't makes it a command from God. The command God gave concerning tithing was to the Israelites and not to us the Gentiles.

2 Likes

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by desiredhome: 12:17pm On Dec 04, 2022
hspda:

Old and new testament of the bible is there for you to understand time and season. God's word in the Bible has no Old and New testaments. So Malachi 3 Vs 10 is one that should obeyed just like other words of God.

I am in full support of the OP giving out the money to the needy because that what I can do 100%. However, you might be wrong in your tithing believe. In the days of old, there were priests and workers who solely dedicate their lives to serving God, and they had to eat from the tithes. Till now, we still have priests and workers that dedicate their lives for service., therefore tithing is still needed.
In the days of the old, the priests do not have any other work than to be in the temple and that was why they were being given to, is that still the case in the present day church?
Today the demands is not just your 10%......They keep demanding different seeds at the end of the day, the society becomes poorer......
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by desiredhome: 12:21pm On Dec 04, 2022
Mayeldah:
Tithing as practiced by present day Pentecostal churches is a scam. I am a Christian and I don't tithe anymore. I am not under the law.

Check around, tithers are not the most prosperous. There are tithers that are doing well and there are those who are extremely poor. So their level prosperity is not a function of their tithing.

Give to God, pay your offerings, sow seeds if led, contribute towards the progress of your church but don't let one pastor dictate to you how you spend your salary.

That Adeboye and Oyedepo preaches it doesn't makes it a command from God. The command God gave concerning tithing was to the Israelites and not to us the Gentiles.
Very correct.....
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Shawl001(m): 12:27pm On Dec 04, 2022
I wish I made the first page so that everyone would see this and read through too.

Anyways, for as many as can have access to this:

Tithing is a Covenant between God and you. And I must say, after the Covenant of the Blood of Jesus, the second is the Covenant of Tithing. Disobey it, and get the consequence.
Many people believe it's an Old Testament practice, but I tell you, it's not. It's a "for life practice".
There are certain blessings that will never come to you, no matter how much you rpay and fast, let all the hands in this world be laid on you, they won't come, unelss you obey and yield to this Covenant of Tithing.

Let me just leave it there.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by xproducer: 12:28pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

+++

Shouldn't one give as much as possible, in love, to help anyone as the Lord GOD so leads?

Alms definition: "something (such as money or food) given freely to relieve the poor"

Matthew 6
Do Good to Please God
Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, ...

Are we not to give ourselves in our entirety (not only money) for the service of GOD?
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service." - Romans 12:1

To ensure that alms actually reach the intended person/s in need can one not give what one can directly to a person in need instead?
"If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." - James 2:15-17
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by legennd2: 12:29pm On Dec 04, 2022
Brooktrader:

Yes I read. And your post justifies the action of the OP.

Melchizedek is a Priest and King of Salem. In Hebrews 7:13-17, Jesus is considered a priest in the order of Melchizedek because, like Melchizedek, Jesus was not a descendant of Aaron, and thus would not qualify for the Jewish priesthood under the Law of Moses.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
**here, Jesus was telling the Jews, before thier father Abraham came to being (on Earth) he was.

Hebrews 7:3 without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, remains a priest continually(forever). This was about Melchizedek

Who remains a priest forever? Jesus Christ.

Is Jesus Christ not the church?

The Bible is cryptic. It doesn't have to plainly say "take your tithe to the church" ..let the Holy Spirit teach you.

When someone tells me that be bible is cryptic, I am careful of them.
God does not waste words. Through the words of Jesus, we are clear on what God prioritises-The people.
Don't go through such length to justify an untrue point. You should know that if the church organisation fails to do what He wants, God can get it done by other means. So it is not strange for him to permit tithes to be paid outside of the church organisation.

I will outline the points I have made in my previous post again.
1. No human being has the right to judge that she has disobeyed God, when God has not said so. You or anyone here do not know if God Put it in her heart to do as she did.
2. The Church is underperforming, But God will not neglect the needy. It is not strange for Him to allow such an act as she did.
3. No one should make a habit of giving tight to do needy as God storehouse is wherever He declares, and the resources therein should be used however he wants.
My OP sister does not need to carry the burden of guilt when God has not declared her guilty.
And you have failed to show me a commandment ordering to only put our tithes in a church organisation coffers.
This is my advice to you God is Not Rigid! He may give you instructions you are not used to. You are better off obeying them even when they are against popular beliefs. Of course it is a given that He would not contradict Himself.

I will no longer contribute to this thread!
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by desiredhome: 12:31pm On Dec 04, 2022
Brooktrader:

She did that which was right in her eyes.. Not God's eyes.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.
Don't quote what you don't understand, it's a sin.......
some of you will see your neighbor or relation dying for as common as a thousand naira, but will rather give to church than to help the dying soul....... you are just a pastor worshippers and not serving God.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by eskuvoisrael(m): 12:32pm On Dec 04, 2022
The scripture is clear on tithing and offering
Christ also said if you love me keep my word and the word of God is in the scripture.
Since I was born I have never seen any giver that lacks
Blessing is always attached to giving
Giving is a spiritual thing so be wise.
Spiritual things are deep to understand
If you can't operate in spiritual ways of God,remain in your physical lane and stop misleading others
If you are giving to the church,give añd don't worry about how they use it. After all the primary motive of the church is to help humanity.

peace....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Apostle Matthew Idongesit: Nsima Ekere Will Win Akwa Ibom Governorship Election / What Can You Do If Your Wife Switches Religion Against Your Wish? / Dominican Republic: TB Joshua Gets Highest Senate, Congress Awards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.