Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,371 members, 7,781,044 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:58 AM

Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. (22101 Views)

Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? / Can Tithe Be Shared Amongst The Church, Stranger, Widow And The Poor? / Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by saintneo(m): 12:33pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
I just like the christian on Nairaland to help me throw more light to this,
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.

Is it difficult to help people in need?

Tithe is for church. If you wish to help someone, kindly render help from the remaining 90%.

In the past, I had similar mindset when I didn't understand the true meaning of tithe.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Ayomivic(m): 12:36pm On Dec 04, 2022
LogoDWhiz:
What happened with your communication with God?
Can't u ask him?

You'll surely get more conflicting views here.

I don't know the laid down rules or do's and don'ts as regards tithing.

But I think what u just is alms giving not giving tithe.

The tithe should be brought to the house of God to be used in the house of God.

This is my view!
Tithe is for the priest not for the pastors . Only the.carholic Priests have the right to received tithe. Tithe is potion of the priest according to Malachi 3.

Many pasto's have other business they are doing and they can't offer sacrifice like the O T priests and Catholic priest. If they Are pasto's because of the words they told their congregation or because they read bible all christian should be able to preach and interpret scripture because of the Holy Spirit we received when we baptised.

Offering of the sacrifice make the priest different to other Christians. The same calling your pastor have is what all Christians have according to matthew 28:16
Op, you have used the money for what God wants you to use it for.

Remember what happened to David when he ran away vfrom his enemy and was hungry . He met the priest and demand food from preist but the preist said he has only offering bread that is means for the preist according to the law but David told him to give him and he gave it to David and it was acceptable to God..

The bible says the person you have power to help is your brother take care of him or her. Of all the tithe that were coming to those pastor ,God had chosen yours to be help for that person. For that reason . It is acceptable by God
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Lavida486: 12:39pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
having gone through the responces am more enlighten on these tithing issue.
mal3:10 i know
offerring i do
alms giving ok.

but for me to see someone in a dear need and this is what i have left, i would not think otherwice.

Matthew 25:35-40. here i stand
Go and read detronomy 14" 22 and 29 you will know what God said about tithe that most pastors doesn't want their members to know

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Segzy19: 12:45pm On Dec 04, 2022
The bible says 'bring all tithes to my house'.
E mu gbogbo idamewa was si Ile mi,

It didn't say give it to people or elsewhere..

elantraceey:
What does the bible instruct?
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by BlackDuke(m): 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2022
What so ever you do to the least of my brethren, that you have done unto me___
You have done noble
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Jeezuzpick(m): 12:54pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
I once had my tithe with me when someone walked up to me for an assistance to discharge her family from hospital. After confirming that it's true, I just dropped my entire tithe to pay the bill and believe I had paid my tithe but somehow I was told that since I didn't drop it in the church am yet to pay my tithe.

Deuteronomy 26:12:
"When you have finished your harvest, reserve the tithe in the third year (the year of the tithe), and give the entire tithe to the descendants of Levi, to the foreigners, to the orphans, and to the widows, so they may eat and be satisfied in your cities."

Any further questions?

As for me, I believe that, once the tithe has left your hands and is doing some good to someone who really needs it, to the glory of God, whether through your Church or directly, it's okay.

I have on occasion given my whole tithe or part of it to people who need it.

If I were to lead a Church, the tithes will be spent on the bolded in the verse I quoted.

Other expenses will be from offerings and donations.

I am fearful for big pastors who, in spite of being financially sound, take tithes meant for orphans and widows.

I hope those guys know what they're doing.

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Newborn27(f): 12:56pm On Dec 04, 2022
Wow!

A thread dated back to 2014 is making frontpage in 2022.....8years later.... there's hope for me in life....I believe.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Sarch: 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2022
Sirphrank:
Something tells me that's right.
lt is wrong, but you can give offering to someone in need. That's why the percentage of offering is not stated but tithe is.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Opinedecandid(m): 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2022
Sister, you have paid your 'tithe'. God will bless you 1000 times more for that act of kindness than if you had paid the money to your church ( so called ).

In fact , there is nowhere in scripture where you are commanded to pay any tithe or even offerings

Tithing is an Old Testament concept which was really for the levites and priests . Remember we are now the temple of God and as priests of God with our high priest Jesus , there is absolutely no justification for either paying or receiving the tithe. In most cases you are enriching your pastor while your relatives and friends or even brethren who you could have helped , languish in poverty and need.

Now let me tell you something, your pastor is not God , so next time he or one of the church leaders asks for your tithe, just tell him/them that you have obeyed God instead of Man .

If they start to instill fear into you through deceptive bible twisting and bullying, just leave his church and go somewhere else.

You did the right thing and you are blessed for it in abundance.

God bless you for this light to the ignorant and the blind.

1 Like

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by neduemaginatif: 12:59pm On Dec 04, 2022
The Bible extensively speaks about Tithing in the book of Deuteronomy 12 and 14. Tithes are not "given". They're "eaten" by this supposed giver. It was even instructed that if the place where God has instructed tithes ordinances be carried out is too far, the tither is to sell the tithes, take the money and when they get to the place, should buy whatever he needs and eat before God.
This simply means Tithes is not Money. Also, Tithes should be eaten. The only people to be given are the Levite tribe because they have no land nor inheritance in Israel. Also, the poor and needy must be given since they have nothing as God wants everyone to enjoy his blessings. For them to be told they have to "sell the tithes and take the money to buy what they need", means they had a monetary policy ongoing.
Finally, we are not supposed to pay tithes. Tithes are for the Jews (Israelites). We are Gentiles. All we need to do is to give to the poor and needy and NOT TO PASTORS WHO LIE IN GOD'S NAME WITH CURSES just because they want to extort money from us.

So you're free to use the 10% or whatever percent for anything you wish. God didn't tell you a non-Jew to pay tithes. Just worship Him in love, help whoever needs help whenever you can and live a holy life.

Finish...

I pray God blesses they who understand his word, Amen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by qtx(m): 1:04pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
at that point it's no longer a tithe for alms
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by 99thEnemy(m): 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

As a practicing Catholic I can only reffer you to what we Catholics practice.

What Is the Catholic Church’s Position on Tithing?

CATHOLIC ANSWERS STAFF:

Answer:

Although the Church teaches that offering some form of material support to the Church is obligatory for all Catholic adults who are able to do so, it doesn’t specify what percent of one’s income should be given. Remember, tithing was an Old Testament obligation that was incumbent on the Jews under the Law of Moses. Christians are dispensed from the obligation of tithing ten percent of their incomes, but not from the obligation to help the Church.

What Is God by Catholic Answers Press
The key to understanding how God wants us to give to the Church is found in 1 Corinthians 16:2, “On the first day of the week [Sunday] each of you should set aside whatever he can afford,” and in 2 Corinthians 9:5-8,

So I thought it necessary to encourage the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for your promised gift [donation], so that in this way it might be ready as a bountiful gift and not as an exaction. Consider this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each must do as already determined without sadness or compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. Moreover, God is able to make every grace abundant for you, so that in all things, always having all you need, you may have an abundance for every good work.

To paraphrase: God doesn’t demand a fixed amount of money from us; he wants us to give from the heart. If people are forced by their church to give a certain percent of their income, that’s extortion. If they give freely and cheerfully the amount they are able, that’s a gift.

Righteousness2 any objections? cool
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by kareemkamil(m): 1:25pm On Dec 04, 2022

except its a direction from God to do so it should be paid to the church u worship in

Bro, this ur mumu never do

2 Likes

Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by etrouble: 1:47pm On Dec 04, 2022

except its a direction from God to do so it should be paid to the church u worship in

Ole! Thief!

Tithe is meant for those who don't have, not to those who already have excess
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Unrated900(m): 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

Since the deed has been done
So what else are you asking from nairalanders
Where as u knows that most comments to your topic Would be hatred and annoyance.
By the religion of pieces worshippers
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Unrated900(m): 1:58pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

Since the deed has been done
So what else are you asking from nairalanders
Where as u knows that most comments to your topic Would be hatred and annoyance.
By the religion of pieces worshipperss
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 1:59pm On Dec 04, 2022
desiredhome:

Don't quote what you don't understand, it's a sin.......
some of you will see your neighbor or relation dying for as common as a thousand naira, but will rather give to church than to help the dying soul....... you are just a pastor worshippers and not serving God.

You're so myopic.

We're talking about tithe here. You have 90% to use from. Stop roping yourself. Ask the Holy Spirit for revelation.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by daygee12: 2:00pm On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:
I think it is plain in the bible where tithe should be paid, Mal 3:10 God already said it should be brought to His house. Read any translation, they will all tell u the same.

Please read Deuteronomy 14:22-29 your Pastor will never read this for u. This is explicit enough
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Princeton92(m): 2:02pm On Dec 04, 2022
Wow... First of all who said that to you

blink:
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Brooktrader: 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2022
legennd2:

When someone tells me that be bible is cryptic, I am careful of them.
God does not waste words. Through the words of Jesus, we are clear on what God prioritises-The people.
Don't go through such length to justify an untrue point. You should know that if the church organisation fails to do what He wants, God can get it done by other means. So it is not strange for him to permit tithes to be paid outside of the church organisation.

I will outline the points I have made in my previous post again.
1. No human being has the right to judge that she has disobeyed God, when God has not said so. You or anyone here do not know if God Put it in her heart to do as she did.
2. The Church is underperforming, But God will not neglect the needy. It is not strange for Him to allow such an act as she did.
3. No one should make a habit of giving tight to do needy as God storehouse is wherever He declares, and the resources therein should be used however he wants.
My OP sister does not need to carry the burden of guilt when God has not declared her guilty.
And you have failed to show me a commandment ordering to only put our tithes in a church organisation coffers.
This is my advice to you God is Not Rigid! He may give you instructions you are not used to. You are better off obeying them even when they are against popular beliefs. Of course it is a given that He would not contradict Himself.

I will no longer contribute to this thread!

See as you just dey rope yourself.

Don't judge you said but you've just judged the church as underperforming.

Go for knowledge.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Oluaje(m): 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2022
Ephesians 5:9 answer all

blink:
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Adecombo(m): 2:06pm On Dec 04, 2022

Says where in the Bible
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Evidenx(m): 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
a Big yes,you can use your tithe to help someone who is truly in need,it's acceptable unto God.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by vince96w2(m): 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:
the purpose of tithe in the Bible is that they may be food in His house..The ministers were supposed to be full time and there was no specific stuff to use as tithe..If you are a farmer that's 10% also. .You have by your act sowed a seed that will keep that woman and family entirely grateful to God..And keep them serving him. You have paid your tithe..And hope you know tithe can also be given to your father?
And you don't need the approval of anyone in confirmation of your payment.Its between you and God
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by luluman: 2:21pm On Dec 04, 2022
Sirphrank:
Something tells me that's right.
Then thing is the devil. TITHES is for God alone. You can give anybody anymoney but don't tag it tithes.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by Jumbojax(m): 2:23pm On Dec 04, 2022
Tithe is a command to israelites. Giving and showing love is the commandment given to the Christians. If you want to truly pay your tithe. Pay it to Israel then
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by vince96w2(m): 2:23pm On Dec 04, 2022
ptoall:
At the risk of sounding legalistic, you cant give ur tithe to any other place except ur local church where you are been fed the word. Malachi 3 is very clear on that. Also, tithes in the OT were administered by Levi priests (Pastors in our case).
Every giving has its place, tithes, offerings, giving to missions, alms, to parents etc have their place in the scriptures and they should be separated.
The instructions was given to the children of God to support the Levites who were made to just be devoted to the work of God .When Jesus left his disciples worked so that they won't be of a burden..Everyone is entitled to come to the father now as Jesus has paid the price and you don't need any priest to seek his face on your behalf..Mind you, you can pay tithe to your father too..if you choose..
Going by your analogy did the Bible talk of giving to missions, needy, sowing seeds as it is the case of our time? Tithes and offerings were mentioned.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by IsaacGeorge29(m): 2:41pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

Tithe is not to be paid to just anyone, but your spiritual priest and father figure as shown by Abraham the fist tither in creation.
read genesis chapter 14 and you will understand.
chears.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by xpertoyin: 2:45pm On Dec 04, 2022
I would refer you to the good Samaritan parable by Jesus, especially about the religious leaders hurrying to observe his obligation to the detriment of the neighbor in need and let the Holy Spirit guide you.
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by desiredhome: 2:46pm On Dec 04, 2022
Brooktrader:

You're so myopic.

We're talking about tithe here. You have 90% to use from. Stop roping yourself. Ask the Holy Spirit for revelation.
Don't the people that have been paying tithe and religious excesses in Nigeria have Holy spirit? Yet Nigeria is the poorest in the world...... Keep allowing yourself to be deceived by your greed......
Re: Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. by TenQ: 2:48pm On Dec 04, 2022
blink:

If your tithe is really meant for Jesus, here He is in the passage below

Mat 25:35-40:
"For I was an hungered, and you gave me meat: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we you an hungered, and fed you? or thirsty, and gave you drink? When saw we you a stranger, and took you in? or naked, and clothed you? Or when saw we you sick, or in prison, and came to you? And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Don't Use IJN To Replace In Jesus Name / Ijaw Youths' Letter To Redemption Ministry, Bayelsa, Demanding N500k From Church / Is Anointing Oil Still Relevant In The New Testament?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.