Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US (32548 Views)

A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People / Edo Girl Hustling In Russia Warns Nigerians Back Home (Video) . / Cameroonian Lady Has Message About Nigerians Living Abroad (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
justwise:

Ask you to upload your certificate? Pointless, you can buy one online and still claim to have studied in US.

hahaha............. grin wink grin...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 10:55pm On Jan 14, 2015
justwise:

Yea that is because Cape Town is part of Nigeria? So you can use your visit to South AFrica to give example of situation in Nigeria?

You are sounding like Sarah Palin now

I clearly stated that SA was the only part of AFRICA that I have visited. So it is my best terms of reference for imagining Nigeria. I did not say it was identical. Just expected there to be some similarities.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 11:02pm On Jan 14, 2015
momoyama:

I clearly stated that SA was the only part of AFRICA that I have visited. So it is my best terms of reference for imagining Nigeria. I did not say it was identical. Just expected there to be some similarities.

Wrong idea, comparing power situation in SA to that of Nigeria is almost like comparing night and day.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 11:05pm On Jan 14, 2015
justwise:

Wrong idea, comparing power situation in SA to that of Nigeria is almost like comparing night and day.

If Nigeria is so bad, why are Nigerians not migrating to Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon and all the other West African countries that do NOT require visas?? Do you expect me to believe that they all have daily power cuts?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 11:18pm On Jan 14, 2015
momoyama:

If Nigeria is so bad, why are Nigerians not migrating to Ghana Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon and all the other West African countries that do NOT require visas?? Do you expect me to believe that they all have daily power cuts?

That has been happening for years, in fact there is huge ant-Nigerian sentiment in Ghana because of many reasons including 419 activities.

You don't know jack about Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2015
momoyama:

I share your sentiments exactly. Stay at home and build up your own country. I would only leave my country as a tourist or an investor buying something in another country. NEVER would I consider the option of leaving my country to help build up someone else's. Great to see that pride and dignity are still alive and well in Nigeria. I wish you well.
Let them allow a referendum as it happened in the UK...there won't be Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2015
helpee:
like I said earlier, it is all about choice and has nothing to do with quality of life. May I chip it in here if justwise won't ask me to upload my certificate as evidence that I did my masters in public health at John Hopkins in America and I didn't feel safer in America. As a matter of fact, a classmate of mine of Uganda origin was shot dead in that same America over a minor tussle during the programme. You don't have to be rich to sponsor yourself through American education. My family contributed less than a million naira and I paid my school fees from my savings cos I was already working and not married before I travelled. I am yet to regret coming back home till date. @momoyama, Nigeria is a beautiful unexplored country. Of course the picture being painted here is only true of North East Nigeria where boko haram is rampaging and the situation in lagos is not nearly as gruesome as some are painting it here. Even if quality of life is less than what obtains in the west, so the next thing for us to do is to leave our country behind in search of quality of life. Americans worked hard to develop their country, I will also work hard to do same here in Nigeria.
You know ur license isn't gonna be canceled here for any unwarranted death. So you have to love it here as riff raff chicks run after you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 11:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
ferdimako:

Let them allow a referendum as it happened in the UK...there won't be Nigeria.

Unless I am mistaken, Nigeria is the economic power house of West Africa. That is according to the economist magazine.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 11:58pm On Jan 14, 2015
ferdimako:

You know ur license isn't gonna be canceled here for any unwarranted death. So you have to love it here as riff raff chicks run after you.

You live in Nigeria, do you not? So clearly it is not that unbearable a place
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 12:24am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

You live in Nigeria, do you not? So clearly it is not that unbearable a place

You really really and I mean really know nothing about Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:30am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

In what sense? Because I do not agree with some of the exaggerated and extreme statements I have seen on here. For your information, I had lots of Naija friends in uni and still have some now. Besides which, my ancestors are Yoruba, which explains my interest in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:34am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

And just how much do YOU know about Nigeria??
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 12:39am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

I should know because I LIVE IN NIGERIA- BORN AND RAISED THERE TOO.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:50am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

I should know because I LIVE IN NIGERIA- BORN AND RAISED THERE TOO.

If you continue to live in Nigeria, that in itself is evidence of two things: Firstly, it cannot be all that bad, otherwise why have you not moved somewhere else. Secondly, your views of other countries as being a bed of roses is likely because you have never lived in them.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 12:51am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

In what sense? Because I do not agree with some of the exaggerated and extreme statements I have seen on here. For your information, I had lots of Naija friends in uni and still have some now. Besides which, my ancestors are Yoruba, which explains my interest in Nigeria.

It's really cute you have Nigerian friends and buddies. And even more cute that you show a lot of interest in Nigeria. It's clear though from your argument that the information you have about Nigeria is not so... I don't know... complete.

I'm sorry to say that those statements made by the others are not exaggerated at all. They are quite true. But what can one do? Huh? Hang myself because of the state of the country. If you can leave the country please pack your bags and don't look back, now if you can't leave, dust your shoes and get to work to make your own life better. That's all.
Life must definitely go on.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:54am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

It's really cute you have Nigerian friends and buddies. And even more cute that you show a lot of interest in Nigeria. It's clear though from your argument that the information you have about Nigeria is not so... I don't know... complete.

I'm sorry to say that those statements made by the others are not exaggerated at all. They are quite true. But what can one do? Huh? Hang myself because of the state of the country. If you can leave the country please pack your bags and don't look back, now if you can't leave, dust your shoes and get to work to make your own life better. That's all.
Life must definitely go on.

It is depressing hearing people running down the motherland. I am on this site to hear positive things about Nigeria, yet all you seem to hear is people tearing it down and making it seem like it is the worst place on earth. In this regard, you should read what your fellow Nigerian, helpee, has to say and consider that it may all be a matter of attitude and patriotism that accounts for the different outlook.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 12:56am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

If you continue to live in Nigeria, that in itself is evidence of two things: Firstly, it cannot be all that bad, otherwise why have you not moved somewhere else. Secondly, your views of other countries as being a bed of roses is likely because you have never lived in them.

My point is not that Nigeria is the new Afghanistan.(although it's on the road). My point is that Nigerians alway find a way to adapt to any environment they find themselves. So that I'm still living here is that well, I'm alive and have nothing better to do than to just make my life better. That's all.

Yes, it proves your stipulated points but doesn't change the fact that what you just learnt about Nigeria on this very thread is 100 percent true.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 12:58am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

It is depressing hearing people running down the motherland. I am on this site to hear positive things about Nigeria, yet all you seem to hear is people tearing it down and making it seem like it is the worst place on earth. In this regard, you should read what your fellow Nigerian, helpee, has to say and consider that it may all be a matter of attitude and patriotism that accounts for the different outlook.

I'm sorry it's depressing, but the truth always hurts and can be very bitter.Then again how can you know something is sweet when you haven't tasted something bitter.

Just don't dwell on it and move on.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 12:59am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

My point is not that Nigeria is the new Afghanistan.(although it's on the road). My point is that Nigerians alway find a way to adapt to any environment they find themselves. So that I'm still living here is that well, I'm alive and have nothing better to do than to just make my life better. That's all.

Yes, it proves your stipulated points but doesn't change the fact that what you just learnt about Nigeria on this very thread is 100 percent true.

As for myself, I detest the USA, and although I quite like Europe, to visit, I would MUCH SOONER trade places with you and live in Nigeria than in either of those places. MUCH MUCH SOONER. Nigeria at least has its future ahead of it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 1:01am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

I saw helpee's post. I must say that I liked it and believe that there's hope. But mind you I'm no more a patriot of this place. So all's well that ends well for me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 1:03am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

Classic! You really need to be a comedian. Somebody who never been to Nigeria is asking a Nigerian born and living in Nigeria what he knows about Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by kalimera101: 1:05am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

As for myself, I detest the USA, and although I quite like Europe, to visit, I would MUCH SOONER trade places with you and live in Nigeria than in either of those places. MUCH MUCH SOONER. Nigeria at least has its future ahead of it.

grin how soon is your soon. Please can you extend it a little bit till December this year, because I'm still in school and if there's no ASUU strike, then I should be finishing by October. Then I'll gladly, with all joy switch places with you.
Think about. Will you?
grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by justwise(m): 1:10am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

grin how soon is your soon. Please can you extend it a little bit till December this year, because I'm still in school and if there's no ASUU strike, then I should be finishing by October. Then I'll gladly, with all joy switch places with you.
Think about. Will you?
grin

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 1:29am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

Think about. Will you?
grin

Lol. We are both clearly happy where we are, as neither of us has left our country. But speaking figuratively, I vote for Nigeria over any of those other places.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 2:16am On Jan 15, 2015
kalimera101:

I saw helpee's post. I must say that I liked it and believe that there's hope. But mind you I'm no more a patriot of this place. So all's well that ends well for me.
Lol.. the same helpee that is currently disturbing peeps on the german travel thread for visa info... patriotic ko.. parrot ni grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 3:34am On Jan 15, 2015
Ogbeche77:
Lol.. the same helpee that is currently disturbing peeps on the german travel thread for visa info... patriotic ko.. parrot ni grin

But what is there to getting a visa that requires info? Is it not simply a case of going to the German embassy? Anyway, maybe helpee just wants a visa for tourist travel. I doubt he is looking to move there to work.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by maternal: 4:49am On Jan 15, 2015
helpee:
like I said earlier, it is all about choice and has nothing to do with quality of life. May I chip it in here if justwise won't ask me to upload my certificate as evidence that I did my masters in public health at John Hopkins in America and I didn't feel safer in America. As a matter of fact, a classmate of mine of Uganda origin was shot dead in that same America over a minor tussle during the programme. You don't have to be rich to sponsor yourself through American education. My family contributed less than a million naira and I paid my school fees from my savings cos I was already working and not married before I travelled. I am yet to regret coming back home till date. @momoyama, Nigeria is a beautiful unexplored country. Of course the picture being painted here is only true of North East Nigeria where boko haram is rampaging and the situation in lagos is not nearly as gruesome as some are painting it here. Even if quality of life is less than what obtains in the west, so the next thing for us to do is to leave our country behind in search of quality of life. Americans worked hard to develop their country, I will also work hard to do same here in Nigeria.

My friend stop the nonsense. It has everything to do with quality of life and nothing else. To begin with you are not an average Nigerian. These western countries do not give an average Nigerian a student visa. You must pay international fees and prove you have enough funds to sustain yourself while in the country because you are not eligible for social assistance. Your definition of rich obviously differs from most Nigerians. Furthermore, while no country is crime free, please don't compare the security in America to some 3rd world country. 2k people are not laying dead on the streets in America.

Back to the matter. I now reside in Canada and I know or have met the children of top political officials in Nigeria. These people did not and will probably ever suffer in naija as their parents have stolen enough money to last 3 generations. When they first get here they all talk about going back to naija. After they get their degree and work visa is about to expire, not only do they scramble to immigration to find a way to stay, THEIR PARENTS WHO ARE POLITICIANS force them to stay, saying "there's no future here in Nigeria". The problem is Americans who built "their" country were seeing progression. They saw a light at the end of the tunnel. The average Nigerian man (which you're clearly not) cannot see progress or a light at the end of the tunnel. Shall he stay stagnant and try to build up Nigeria which means putting money into these corrupted leaders hand while they send their fairly members abroad to flex ? The point is people leave Nigeria because of opportunities and quality of life. It has everything to do with the quality of life.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by momoyama: 5:00am On Jan 15, 2015
maternal:

My friend stop the nonsense. It has everything to do with quality of life and nothing else. To begin with you are not an average Nigerian. These western countries do not give an average Nigerian a student visa. You must pay international fees and prove you have enough funds to sustain yourself while in the country because you are not eligible for social assistance. Your definition of rich obviously differs from most Nigerians. Furthermore, while no country is crime free, please don't compare the security in America to some 3rd world country. 2k people are not laying dead on the streets in America.

Back to the matter. I now reside in Canada and I know or have met the children of top political officials in Nigeria. These people did not and will probably ever suffer in naija as their parents have stolen enough money to last 3 generations. When they first get here they all talk about going back to naija. After they get their degree and work visa is about to expire, not only do they scramble to immigration to find a way to stay, THEIR PARENTS WHO ARE POLITICIANS force them to stay, saying "there's no future here in Nigeria". The problem is Americans who built "their" country were seeing progression. They saw a light at the end of the tunnel. The average Nigerian man (which you're clearly not) cannot see progress or a light at the end of the tunnel. Shall he stay stagnant and try to build up Nigeria which means putting money into these corrupted leaders hand while they send their fairly members abroad to flex ? The point is people leave Nigeria because of opportunities and quality of life. It has everything to do with the quality of life.

But how can you begrudge this man for wanting to stay at home and help his country? It is fine if you are happy abroad. But do not criticize those who want to remain at home and improve their country.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by SisterCaro(m): 5:41am On Jan 15, 2015
momoyama:

wow, you guys are painting a pretty dismal picture of Nigeria. Never been to West Africa yet, but if you guys were my travel agents you would probably just have put me off a visit. I have been to Cape Town and Durban, and I must say they were NOTHING like how you are describing Nigeria. I did not see one power cut and, although they have impoverished townships, the majority of the city centre is very first world.
You should have read a little more on Nigeria before you started posting on this thread. Durban and Cape Town are in South Africa which obviously is in Southern Africa. Nigeria on the other hand is in western Africa you cannot possibly assume that they should be the same. It like saying because Canada and Guatemala are on the same continent they should have the same infrastructure.

2 different countries, 2 different economies and infrastructure

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 6:57am On Jan 15, 2015
Ogbeche77:
post what I said on the German thread!!! I only posted once on the German thread....and the only thing I said was that why did they turn it to a thread for student visa and that other nigerians may want to travel for tourism too. Did I ask you for info about how to get visa there? I am not interested in your info....keep it. I only recently started visiting travel section....thinking I will get a place of interest to visit only to discover that everywhere is flooded with visa to Cameroon. travel section is filled with students and frustrated nigerians so I won't blame anybody for the sentiment. In property section, we have more matured nigerians. Even the ones in diaspora visit that section to buy properties at home and learn how to build it. It is a forum for matured men maybe because most of them have come to value life. At mayomama, travel section of nairaland is meant for visas so naturally it attract people that are looking for visas and willing to abandon their country in search of quality life...same people will get their passport torn by a useless immigration officer abroad for their unpatriotic mindset and will run back to that same useless country, writing letters up and down and expect our sympathy. Mayomama, look for other places to get info about nigeria....definately not the travel section of nairaland. Now I know the reason why the guy opened the thread....who will not hate nigerians in diaspora for the kind of thrash they spew here

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by helpee(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2015
ferdimako:

I was forced to check your profile, I was not disappointed. Are u not the guy looking for ferry from ikorodu to ajah cos you are broke? Ripping off small small boys of their jamb form money? Upon that you said you couldn't raise money for your education in US, you tried oz ,no money now you said you pitched your tent with Canada. With this kind of background, I understand your frustration. You call yourself a system analyst...of what? it is the likes of you that made nigeria technologically backward. If you haven't abandoned your profession for the peanuts you will make from jamb form...maybe you will respect others and not jump to conclusion that every professional in Nigeria is as half baked as you are.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 15, 2015
worry359:

Yes we ALL know of rich ogas stealing all the money from Nigeria!
Is that anything to be proud of, or boast about.
For you to support these thieves then YOU must be one of them.

Chai, u wicked o worry359....she is not from Nigeria...... wink grin wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

A Speeding trailer Falls Into A Pit Hole In Ikotun, Lagos / Gov Adeleke Government Commences Construction Activities On Ife-ede Road(photos) / My Visit To Olumirin Water Falls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.