Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,836 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

Kalabari People! - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115469 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by DitariDisciple2: 9:35am On Dec 30, 2021
SlayerForever:
So much generational lies on this thread. Kalabari has no meaning in Ijaw.

Kalabari old name was New Kalabar. The area first settled by the Igbos with Igbo kings. Then the Efik influx brought the Efik into prominence in the area and thus the area was recorded in their name by the seafarers : Kalabar (New Kalabar). The agressive boat dwellers known as the Ijaw came last. Over centuries displacing the Igbo and Efik populations and absorbing the rest.

They displaced and almost totally absorbed the Igbos at Okrika. Okrika's Igbo heritage only remains only minute traces. They have almost completed absorbed the Igbos of Nembe. The Oru remnants of the Igbo race at Nun are gone forever. Completely absorbed.

This tendency to revise history is very bad from the boat dwelling Ijaws. Saying Kalabari means Kala and Bari is a devilish falsification. Kalabari's origin points to Igbo and Efik. Though they are nearly completely Ijawnized now.
Your lies and frustrations on ijaw area end here. E no reach ijaw land.e no change anything.

2 Likes

Re: Kalabari People! by SlayerForever: 5:04pm On Dec 30, 2021
BlackSaints:
Mr man! There's nothing like igbo people in Okrika, any Igbo you see in Okrika are either descendant of slaves or are foreigners living there. There are no indigenous igbos in Okrika be guide.

Historical facts from 200 years before prove this to be false.

Re: Kalabari People! by BlackSaints: 5:07pm On Dec 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

Historical facts from 200 years before prove this to be false.
If that your screenshot is true,how come there's little influence of Igbo culture in Okrika? undecided
Re: Kalabari People! by SlayerForever: 5:52pm On Dec 30, 2021
BlackSaints:
If that your screenshot is true,how come there's little influence of Igbo culture in Okrika? undecided

It remains still in the language and the preference for the okpuagu. As well as some celebrations and festivals like the Odum festival. See attached.

Re: Kalabari People! by Niflheim(m): 9:34am On Jan 01, 2022
A screenshot is what you want to use to claim another person's land?

Such a pity!!!

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Bakana: 12:50am On Jun 06, 2023
Please what is the meaning of Bakana? I'm from Bayelsa state and when I asked my father the meaning he said he doesn't know thar it was his father's name. Now I'm bearing my grandfather's name but I don't know the meaning. I understand it's the name of place in river state so if anyone from there can help me with this information I would be most grateful.
Re: Kalabari People! by blackpinkgal: 5:03am On Jul 30, 2023
hi tekena am kalabari.am in lagos too.am from bakana.my name is tekenate
There you go claiming an another identity. You are really sick in the head
Re: Kalabari People! by ibiso1986: 9:15pm On Jan 26
Glad to be here

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.