Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Kalabari People! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kalabari People! (115423 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / Kalabari Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2007
it is simple, a simple mind always looks for fault of why they cant progress on others. much as it is true that we have been raped by the govt and the oil companies but that didnt any1 right to start giving a bad name, or kidnapping ppl. after that being said, this whole drama was created by the whites and the but they didnt expect it to go this far, well, just like everywhere else in the world where they wist the truth, the drama has gone this far and might still go farther.
Re: Kalabari People! by pilas: 5:35pm On Sep 18, 2007
Main article: Ijoid languages
The Ijaw speak nine closely-related Niger-Congo languages, all of which belong to the Ijoid branch of the Niger-Congo tree. The primary division between the Ijo languages is that between Eastern Ijo and Western Ijo, the most important of the former group of languages being Izon, which is spoken by about four million people. There are two prominent groupings of this language. The first group is nominally termed "Western" or "Central" Ijaw or Izon, and consists of "Western" Ijaw speakers (Ekeremo-Sagbama(Mein), Bassan, Apoi, Arogbo, Bumo, Kabuowei, Ogboin, Tarakiri, etc variety) as well Kolokuma-Opokuma (Yenagoa and the vicinity). Nembe-Brass and Akassa (Akaha) dialects are referred to as "Ijo South-East". These groups, since 1996, mainly constitutes Bayelsa State, but spills over to Delta, Edo and Ondo States. Biseni and Okodia dialect are termded "Inland" Ijo The other major group is Kalabari. Kalabari is an "Eastern" Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name one of the clans of the Ijaws that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari in present day Rivers State of Nigeria.

Other related Ijo sub-groups which have distinct linguistic relations but very close blood (i.e genetic), cultural and territorial homogenity with the rest of the Ijaw are Epie-Atisa clan, Engenni people and Udekama (which speak Delta Edoid Languages). Others are Ogbia clan, Bukuma, Abuloma (Obulom) and Andoni (which speak Delta Cross languages).

It was discovered in the 1980s that a nearly-extinct Berbice Creole Dutch, spoken in Guyana, is based on Ijo lexicon and grammar. Its nearest relative seems to be Eastern Ijo, most likely Kalabari (Kouwenberg 1994).
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 6:43am On Sep 19, 2007
God go bless u plenty. where did u get that article from, kindly drop the link for us to go read it in full. but the last line of the article explained why kalabari ppl genes are so messed up, we have too many Scottish, dutch mixed up in our gene pool. in my family, all the girls, my mom, sisters and almost all my aunts and cousins that are female are light skinned, and i mean, very light skinned but the guys like me are super black for some reason. i only know abt 3 guys in the entire family remembers that is light skinned; that is one messed up gene pool.

pilas:

Main article: Ijoid languages
The Ijaw speak nine closely-related Niger-Congo languages, all of which belong to the Ijoid branch of the Niger-Congo tree. The primary division between the Ijo languages is that between Eastern Ijo and Western Ijo, the most important of the former group of languages being Izon, which is spoken by about four million people. There are two prominent groupings of this language. The first group is nominally termed "Western" or "Central" Ijaw or Izon, and consists of "Western" Ijaw speakers (Ekeremo-Sagbama(Mein), Bassan, Apoi, Arogbo, Bumo, Kabuowei, Ogboin, Tarakiri, etc variety) as well Kolokuma-Opokuma (Yenagoa and the vicinity). Nembe-Brass and Akassa (Akaha) dialects are referred to as "Ijo South-East". These groups, since 1996, mainly constitutes Bayelsa State, but spills over to Delta, Edo and Ondo States. Biseni and Okodia dialect are termded "Inland" Ijo The other major group is Kalabari. Kalabari is an "Eastern" Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name one of the clans of the Ijaws that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari in present day Rivers State of Nigeria.

Other related Ijo sub-groups which have distinct linguistic relations but very close blood (i.e genetic), cultural and territorial homogenity with the rest of the Ijaw are Epie-Atisa clan, Engenni people and Udekama (which speak Delta Edoid Languages). Others are Ogbia clan, Bukuma, Abuloma (Obulom) and Andoni (which speak Delta Cross languages).

It was discovered in the 1980s that a nearly-extinct Berbice Creole Dutch, spoken in Guyana, is based on Ijo lexicon and grammar. Its nearest relative seems to be Eastern Ijo, most likely Kalabari (Kouwenberg 1994).

Re: Kalabari People! by pilas: 5:06pm On Sep 19, 2007
source=Wikipedia.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 6:45pm On Sep 19, 2007
oh, that is not always an accurate source of info but thanks anywayz

pilas:

source=Wikipedia.
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 1:28pm On Sep 24, 2007
na2day?:

God go bless u plenty. where did u get that article from, kindly drop the link for us to go read it in full. but the last line of the article explained why kalabari people genes are so messed up, we have too many Scottish, dutch mixed up in our gene pool. in my family, all the girls, my mom, sisters and almost all my aunts and cousins that are female are light skinned, and i mean, very light skinned but the guys like me are super black for some reason. i only know about 3 guys in the entire family remembers that is light skinned; that is one messed up gene pool.

Yeah ! we had a lot of randy ladies in the 17th and 18th century. My uncle has got blue eyes like a white man and he is not an albino. he is as dark as any typical nigerian. Some of my cousins have got hair like asians and mulattos and yet are black like me. I have always wondered if our genes were messed up in the past. now i'm certainly convinced! the nice hair is a plus for ladies but the blue eyes is a no no.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2007
lol, the blue eyes is a no no. thats a good one. grin grin grin grin

ow11:

Yeah ! we had a lot of randy ladies in the 17th and 18th century. My uncle has got blue eyes like a white man and he is not an albino. he is as dark as any typical nigerian. Some of my cousins have got hair like asians and mulattos and yet are black like me. I have always wondered if our genes were messed up in the past. now i'm certainly convinced! the nice hair is a plus for ladies but the blue eyes is a no no.
Re: Kalabari People! by ibis: 9:30pm On Sep 30, 2007
hi. my mom is from Buguma!!!!!!!
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 1:00am On Oct 02, 2007
kool, i am from buguma too.

ibis:

hi. my mom is from Buguma!!!!!!!
Re: Kalabari People! by laudate: 11:54am On Oct 02, 2007
Don't forget one thing. A lot of Ijaw people & Kalabaris lived (and still live) along the coastal areas of Nigeria. These were the areas that first had contact with the Europeans, during the slave trade & during colonialism. One should expect that there were probably a large number of inter-racial relationships between the Caucasian colonial masters and some of the Ijaw women. Such early contact with the foreigners also probably explains why a lot of Ijaw & Kalabari people bear European names. That may explain why there are such unusual genetic features among some Ijaw families.

The Ben-Murray Bruce clan is a good example. Their great-grandfather was a Scotsman who came to Nigeria to trade & first settled in whatis now called Bayelsa state. Their great grandmum was a Kalabari woman. The man met her fell in love & married her and decided to make Nigeria his home, permanently.
Re: Kalabari People! by doctorb1(f): 1:29pm On Oct 03, 2007
cool proudly KALABARI  cool
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 5:16pm On Oct 03, 2007
in my family, the genes must be gender specific as all my sisters and cousins that are female and aunties are light skinned while most of the males are seriously black, especially me, na wetin bi my crime against the gene now?

laudate:

Don't forget one thing. A lot of Ijaw people & Kalabaris lived (and still live) along the coastal areas of Nigeria. These were the areas that first had contact with the Europeans, during the slave trade & during colonialism. One should expect that there were probably a large number of inter-racial relationships between the Caucasian colonial masters and some of the Ijaw women. Such early contact with the foreigners also probably explains why a lot of Ijaw & Kalabari people bear European names. That may explain why there are such unusual genetic features among some Ijaw families.

The Ben-Murray Bruce clan is a good example. Their great-grandfather was a Scotsman who came to Nigeria to trade & first settled in whatis now called Bayelsa state. Their great grandmum was a Kalabari woman. The man met her fell in love & married her and decided to make Nigeria his home, permanently.
Re: Kalabari People! by bebure(m): 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2007
Proudly Kalabari. Bakana to be more specific.
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2007
thresa8:

what is the different between the Kalabari People and the ijaw people?

always wondered.
maybe skin tone can be a factor, Ijaw man black ehn
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 3:52am On Oct 09, 2007
i think we have already answered that question. anywhoo, i am very black(at least my face is) and i am kalabari.

thresa8:

what is the different between the Kalabari People and the ijaw people?
Re: Kalabari People! by Shentz(f): 3:02pm On Feb 20, 2008
Who are Kalabaris and where are they from
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 3:11am On Feb 21, 2008
the power of google knows no bounds. use it and u shall learn.

*Shentz*:

Who are Kalabaris and where are they from
Re: Kalabari People! by Creoleboy: 8:32am On Jun 28, 2008
what is the family background of the murray-bruce family?
Re: Kalabari People! by bebure(m): 12:01pm On Jul 05, 2008
I've always wondered about my genetic makeup. My father's family is very, very light (they almost look mixed race) and yet if you ask any of his sisters they'd tell you that there was no mixing (I don't believe that). You may find this link useful:

http://web.africa.ufl.edu/asq/v3/v3i1a2.htm
Re: Kalabari People! by Nigeria17: 5:16pm On Jul 05, 2008
But some kalabari dont agree they are Ijo.
Re: Kalabari People! by Nobody: 2:34am On Jul 11, 2008
Original Kalabari Dey here, from Abonnema Bakana and Buguma.
Re: Kalabari People! by semid4lyfe(m): 9:40am On Jul 11, 2008
?
Re: Kalabari People! by lucabrasi(m): 1:10pm On Jul 11, 2008
i have to ask why you kalabari people will give someone like asari dokubo a chieftaincy title is it because of his niger delta volunteer force?
Re: Kalabari People! by ow11(m): 1:22pm On Jul 11, 2008
lucabrasi:

i have to ask why you kalabari people will give someone like asari dokubo a chieftaincy title is it because of his niger delta volunteer force?

It is because morality is very far from the Nigerian society ( the Kalabari society is also Nigerian ). Nigerians support and approve criminality in high places.
Re: Kalabari People! by obelem(f): 7:23pm On Oct 26, 2008
mehn we plenty oh.sha am boma 4rm akuku toru lga of rivers state.am nu 2 nairaland nd wen i sw dis subject i was hapi 2 fynd out dat dere r odas lyk me hu r very proud of being a kalabarian.nd abg stop d arguing.
Re: Kalabari People! by naijacutee(f): 10:13am On Oct 27, 2008
My mum is from AsariToru Local Government (Buguma).
Re: Kalabari People! by udezue(m): 12:52am On Nov 27, 2008
yeah same thing with Ikwerre claiming they are not Igbo but speak and have Igbo names and their culture is Igbo. I guess in every ethnic group u can find knuckle heads.

1 Like

Re: Kalabari People! by Outstrip(f): 4:56am On Nov 27, 2008
I love Nigerian history even when it is not my ethnic group. I just love reading about it even if I will not remember tomorrow. Atleast I have an answer to the whole Ijaw thing. Someone told me once that there were Ijaw in Ondo state but I could not understand it. I guess if you think of it being all coastal places they did most of their living and movement on water. So they basically went where the water was. It explains why Ijaws are that widely spread out. Make I go study map of Nigeria real quick. Is there somewhere online where you can get a map of Nigeria and zoom into the towns in the different states. Please post the link if you do
Re: Kalabari People! by kiwi992(m): 10:31am On Nov 27, 2008
Hi All,

I am a Kalabari from Iyalla's compound in Bakana.  Oh yes!

kiwi992.
Re: Kalabari People! by ohwofasa(m): 7:49pm On Jan 24, 2009
kalabari again?hnmmmmmmmmm,dated a kalabari gal frm bakana,dat almost cost me my life.no hard feelings
Re: Kalabari People! by RasPwn(m): 8:21pm On Jan 24, 2009
I just read through this thread and I read the long article on counterfoil choices, interesting stuff. Can a Kalabari person explain how true the article is and I also want to know if Kalabari people still do that till this day.
Re: Kalabari People! by na2day2(m): 2:51am On Jan 25, 2009
ohwofasa:

kalabari again?hnmmmmmmmmm,dated a kalabari gal frm bakana,dat almost cost me my life.no hard feelings

u made it alive? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked i dont think that was a kalabari girl, they dont miss grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Ramses, Cleopatra, Nefertiti: Original Egyptians Were Black? / If You Are From Cross River Or Akwa Ibom, This Topic Is For You. Sosongo. / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.