Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,035 members, 7,863,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:41 AM

Welcome To My Office - Career (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (148231 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by tollu: 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2010
BlueDiva:

Paying obeisance to the founding fathers and others. . . wink

Right!

AjanleKoko:

@BlueDiva,
E ja wa si!

Hope she 'ja e si'?

So BlueDiva how was groove now? Enough fine and single men abi wink

netotse:

i'm browsing at work for the last time, i'm officially leaving this dam today, so that means bye-bye to 24/7 electricity, soldiers guarding you, and peace and quiet, people liking you just because you're a corper . . .the downs: having goats poo on your front porch, seeing more animals than people, hearing people speak in hausa(even when we're in the switchyard), having to wait for shift bus or 'abeg-sir', being around the many incompetent people that make up a large percentage of the nigerian power sector and a host of other things.

it also means hello to decent looking buildings, girls i can actually have decent conversations with, a proper internet connection among others.

dont worry, i'm not abandoning this thread. . .i'm temporarily resuming [i]work [/i]with mumsie asap, she's a M&E(monitoring and evaluation) consultant and she works from home(was a civil servant for donkey years though), at least i will have funding for my womanisingphilanthropic activities. grin

Congratulations man. That phase of ur life is OVER!!!
Re: Welcome To My Office by Tmoni(m): 5:05pm On Feb 15, 2010
@netotse

Corper Aju wa ya, !!!!!

@MrCrackles, "largest european enginnering conglomerate"
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2010
Tollu
Bluediva is married with kids
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 6:16pm On Feb 15, 2010
Tmoni:

@MrCrackles, "largest european engineering conglomerate"
wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 15, 2010
Relaxed atmosphere at the office today.
People are still recovering from the party, tomorrow will surely be business as usual.

@Tollu,

Party was groovy.
Lot's of food and drinks, enough to feed a town.
It was a great opportunity to interact with all cadre of workers.

As for the fine young men, lots of them 'cos we employ only the finest.  wink
Like Tkb said, I'm happily married with even a 12 year old kid.

If you'd like to meet any of the fine young men, just holla at your girl.  wink cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 16, 2010
movie fiesta yesterday and i suspect today. i've got episodes of bleach to catch up on and a few movies on my system i still haven't watched so all this free time is just fine. . . ok NOT

i tried brainstorming with my colleagues to find out if we could find some work to do. but all this free time is intoxicating, so no one's in a hurry to move. plus u know how bosses seem to get upset when u help out a boss on another turf, even though he had nothing for u to do in the first place? yeah. that's what makes acting on anything sticky.

i've got a book to read too. enough variety. e be like say i go apply for 'mod-in-training' on NL with all this spare time i gat. any takers?
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 10:08am On Feb 16, 2010
tollu:

Hope she 'ja e si'?

For where sad
BlueDiva just 'chop' alone. cry

@Topic,
Slow week at the office. Bad bellicks are definitely after me.
Though I have a chat this week with a competing telco (2nd this year, I thought there was a job crunch!).
Have no plans of joining that org sha, unless, God forbid, rain fall. But as is my usual practice, I will see them and give them my bill. grin

Ramping up on the personal level as well. This year is looking quite promising. God dey.
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 1:08pm On Feb 16, 2010
@topic

Work yesterday

Got to the office 9.00 all soaked and wet from the drizzle.

Meetings Meeting Meetings . . Today we had several meetings to discuss the best numerical strategy we will use in calculating the new proprietary index we are trying to develop for some hedge funds. A couple of ideas were floating around but we latter agreed that  fourier transforms was the fastest and the best for now.

After all the meetings which finished around 2pm went back to my desk checked and replied some mails and also checked and replied some posts on Naraland. Signed out of NL and got back to writing the shell scripts to be used this saturdays deployment

Left the office early around 5.30 for class . . . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaybee3(m): 4:53pm On Feb 16, 2010
hmmmm fourier transforms cool
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 16, 2010
For where
BlueDiva just 'chop' alone

cheesy cheesy

Another ordinary day.
I'm thinking of going on leave.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 8:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
candylips:

@topic
Meetings Meeting Meetings . . Today we had several meetings to discuss the best numerical strategy we will use in calculating the new proprietary index we are trying to develop for some hedge funds. A couple of ideas were floating around but we latter agreed that fourier transforms was the fastest and the best for now.

@candylips,
you dey stroke us abi? Naija man!
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 9:31pm On Feb 16, 2010
@candylips
i wouldnt want to be you for anything in the world man,fourier transforms *shudder* never did learn those things grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 10:56pm On Feb 16, 2010
netotse:

@candylips
i wouldnt want to be you for anything in the world man,fourier transforms *shudder* never did learn those things grin

cheesy cheesy

Don't be too quick to celebrate.
Except if you no do postgrad in engineering sha. Particularly control or comms.
nonlinear control and DSP is mostly about fourier.
Re: Welcome To My Office by debosky(m): 11:32pm On Feb 16, 2010
@ topic

Had a hectic time today after returning from two days vacation. . . . felt like 10 given the sheer quantity of mail and requests that I met today.

February is getting more and more busy - submitted reports due on the 14th on the 16th (even databases must celebrate vals grin) and I'm currently hustling to get data ready for the 19th, coupled with approval from head of finance. . . only for some woman to send me a request asking for MORE information by the 26th!! Don't these people know I still have a life outside of work?

The unit re-organisation is going on full pace - the new structure was announced at the weekend, as fate would have it, when I was on vacation. grin

Everyone's on edge, waiting to know if they still have a job or if they have to move to the frozen north, team morale is really low.

Thank God some of us are exempt from the changes - not a bad thing to be low on the food chain in times like these. wink

Need to start crunching my numbers soon - full year emissions forecasts are due like yesterday, and I'm still not done with my 'new' job yet. Maybe I can use Fourier Transforms too. cheesy

I seriously need to hand over some of these routine tasks to other people - I can't claim to have moved to another job role and still be doing the old tasks plus the new tasks on the same pay. Either they double my money (I wish grin) or I leave one set of tasks.

Big meeting is tomorrow. . . .been brushing up on the e-learning courses to refresh my technical jargon - dem go hear am when I start blowing grammar. grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by platinumnk(f): 11:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
Im mad as hell for my Boss making me come to work today!
Its a freaken holiday everywhere in Louisiana,
and I did absoultely nothing today.
The Bank barely saw anybody today
Waste of time! angry angry angry

Even here was booring ~ ugh
I cant even remember my vacation days!
Cleaned my desk, and gearing up for C-Notices,
a new round of Over-Time lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:39am On Feb 17, 2010
debosky:

@ topic

Had a hectic time today after returning from two days vacation. . . . felt like 10 given the sheer quantity of mail and requests that I met today.

February is getting more and more busy - submitted reports due on the 14th on the 16th (even databases must celebrate vals  grin) and I'm currently hustling to get data ready for the 19th, coupled with approval from head of finance. . . only for some woman to send me a request asking for MORE information by the 26th!! Don't these people know I still have a life outside of work?

The unit re-organisation is going on full pace - the new structure was announced at the weekend, as fate would have it, when I was on vacation.  grin

Everyone's on edge, waiting to know if they still have a job or if they have to move to the frozen north, team morale is really low.

Thank God some of us are exempt from the changes - not a bad thing to be low on the food chain in times like these.  wink

Need to start crunching my numbers soon - full year emissions forecasts are due like yesterday, and I'm still not done with my 'new' job yet. Maybe I can use Fourier Transforms too.  cheesy

I seriously need to hand over some of these routine tasks to other people - I can't claim to have moved to another job role and still be doing the old tasks plus the new tasks on the same pay. Either they double my money (I wish  grin) or I leave one set of tasks.

Big meeting is tomorrow. . . .been brushing up on the e-learning courses to refresh my technical jargon - dem go hear am when I start blowing grammar.  grin
thats prolly why. . .lol

AjanleKoko:

cheesy cheesy

Don't be too quick to celebrate.
Except if you no do postgrad in engineering sha. Particularly control or comms.
nonlinear control and DSP is mostly about fourier.
comm what? or con what? tufia o. . .the only calculations imma be doing are load flows o. . .hopefully i'm glad i postponed the idea in time though, ppl have been recieving rejections left right and center. . .
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 8:13am On Feb 17, 2010
candylips:

@topic

Work yesterday

Got to the office 9.00 all soaked and wet from the drizzle.

Meetings Meeting Meetings . . Today we had several meetings to discuss the best numerical strategy we will use in calculating the new proprietary index we are trying to develop for some hedge funds. A couple of ideas were floating around but we latter agreed that fourier transforms was the fastest and the best for now.

After all the meetings which finished around 2pm went back to my desk checked and replied some mails and also checked and replied some posts on Naraland. Signed out of NL and got back to writing the shell scripts to be used this saturdays deployment

Left the office early around 5.30 for class . . . .

fourier transforms abi
lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by tkb417(m): 8:14am On Feb 17, 2010
platinumnk:

Im mad as hell for my Boss making me come to work today!
Its a freaken holiday everywhere in Louisiana,
and I did absoultely nothing today.
The Bank barely saw anybody today
Waste of time! angry angry angry

Even here was booring ~ ugh
I cant even remember my vacation days!
Cleaned my desk, and gearing up for C-Notices,
a new round of Over-Time lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
kpele o; dont worry, e go better

how u dey?
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 8:25am On Feb 17, 2010
down with fever for the past 3 days. differences in the weather~ the food we eat~ and the faces we see. Loads of administrative works to be done this week and thank GOD for an understanding HOD who made it an extra work for co-corpers in the department. I keep wondering about my boss- A Portsmouth univ. Uk MBA holder living in the jungle with us and on a salary scale of N960K per annum.
Re: Welcome To My Office by MrCrackles(m): 9:22am On Feb 17, 2010
Jcob:

down with fever for the past 3 days. differences in the weather~ the food we eat~ and the faces we see. Loads of administrative works to be done this week and thank GOD for an understanding HOD who made it an extra work for co-corpers in the department. I keep wondering about my boss- A Portsmouth univ. Uk MBA holder living in the jungle with us and on a salary scale of N960K per annum.
shocked shocked shocked
Even though Portsmouth's MBA is sub-par, dayyum your boss should still be able to curry more money yearly. . .
What do you guys do?
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jcob(m): 9:40am On Feb 17, 2010
@ crackles~ A northern state tertiary institution.
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 17, 2010
Jcob:

@ crackles~ A northern state tertiary institution.

you just said it all. they have little appreciation for education. secondary school fees is like N400 a term!

still quiet here. taking my book seriously cos i promised to give a review on friday. i no know who send me to pick friday embarassed

it's quite interesting though. it's called blue ocean strategy (w. chan kim and renee mauborgne) and has some very interesting stuff.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 11:56am On Feb 17, 2010
iceblue:

still quiet here. taking my book seriously cos i promised to give a review on friday. i no know who send me to pick friday embarassed

it's quite interesting though. it's called blue ocean strategy (w. chan kim and renee mauborgne) and has some very interesting stuff.

I need to do the Igbo thing here grin

Nne, you get the book, but I don meet the author cheesy

Actually met W. Chan Kim at a company commercial forum in Egypt; he was there to deliver some nice marketing spiel.
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 1:17pm On Feb 17, 2010
netotse:

@candylips

Lol fourier transforms is not that hard. besides we use this in a numerical sense we don't solve by hand (although idealy you should be able to if you want to debug bugs)
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 1:20pm On Feb 17, 2010
^^hmm, candylips, you just dey oppress all man with your [i]matti[/i]matics knowledge!
See your signature.
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 1:25pm On Feb 17, 2010
work yesterday

Typical day no meetings . .  yipee  smiley

Went through the typical cycle of code -> test  -> debug -> code . . . .

managed to get the shell scripts working by 3pm.

spent the rest of the day with a collegue refactoring sections of code in the Pricing Engine.

No lectures today so left work at 6 with a few collegues for a few drinks in the pub. left for home at about 8.30
Re: Welcome To My Office by candylips(m): 1:36pm On Feb 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

^^hmm, candylips, you just dey oppress all man with your [i]matti[/i]matics knowledge!
See your signature.

nah i no sabi maths o cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Actually met W. Chan Kim at a company commercial forum in Egypt; he was there to deliver some nice marketing spiel.

You sure get around.
Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 3:08pm On Feb 17, 2010
^^ I sure do. It's even beginning to annoy the Mrs.
wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 3:37pm On Feb 17, 2010
hey ppl,
er. . .i need help with something, pardon my naivete, i'm applying for a job at ABB(they're kinda like a jack-of-all-trades in power, but they're second to siemens in nigeria sha) and they say to send your application and your CV as one document, the application bit is the part i dont get, sey it means i have to write like a short letter or something right? like a covering letter? i'd appreciate it if someone would give me hints

and then referees, who are the best ppl to put technical ppl right? not just bigwigs, do they even contact them sef?
Re: Welcome To My Office by jaybee3(m): 3:55pm On Feb 17, 2010
Use the attached as a guide
Good luck
Re: Welcome To My Office by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 17, 2010
netotse:

hey ppl,
er. . .i need help with something, pardon my naivete, i'm applying for a job at ABB(they're kinda like a jack-of-all-trades in power, but they're second to siemens in nigeria sha) and they say to send your application and your CV as one document, the application bit is the part i dont get, sey it means i have to write like a short letter or something right? like a covering letter? i'd appreciate it if someone would give me hints

and then referees, who are the best ppl to put technical ppl right? not just bigwigs, do they even contact them sef?

I'm in HR:
Some key points:

-Usually you're required to submit a cover note in addition to your CV.
Even if you're not asked to always try and include it. (The attached format from jaybee is good)

Strictly follow the format you're asked to for your CV (Excel or Word)
If not stated, use Word format.

-Referees are people whom know you well.

If you've worked before, put people you've worked with.
If you're yet to work add at least one former lecturer to the list.

-Every reputable organization will surely contact those referees.
Ensure you have their recent contacts, very important.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.