Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] (40875 Views)

DIY: Construction Of Residential Units At Harmony Villa [isheri OPIC] / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 9:14pm On Mar 17, 2015
@achiuseful, the span of the ground floor is 19m X 9.5m and provision has been made for expansion joints between the units though for this length of span its really not necessary.

We are done with backfilling and compacting also, we used a compacting machine for this process which is faster and less tedious.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:35am On Mar 18, 2015
@twinskenny, thanks for the compliment.

Laying of the damp proof membrane (DPM) after back-filling and compacting was completed.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:49am On Mar 18, 2015
Reinforcement laying commenced on Friday 13th of March and was concluded by Sunday 15th of March. 12mm iron reinforcement of Tiger TMT brand was used and 200mm spacing between bars.

Conduit pipe laying for electrical and plumbing was also done.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:52am On Mar 18, 2015
Reinforcement laying commenced on Friday 13th of March and was concluded by Sunday 15th of March. 12mm iron reinforcement of Tiger TMT brand was used and 200mm spacing was used between bars.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:17am On Mar 19, 2015
Casting of the german floor was done yesterday 18th of March. The casting team contracted got to the site at about 8am and started casting at 10am after having breakfast and checking their mixing machine.

Bags of cement were brought out from the storage room and the ratio mix we are using is 1:2:3 meaning we will be using 1 bag of cement, 4 headpans of sand and 6 headpans of granite. This is a very strong mix ratio that is cement consuming but we aim at quality for our client and don't take short cuts when it comes to construction.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:37am On Mar 19, 2015
The casting team used a total of 14 people, 1 man handling the machine, 1 water handler, and the rest distributed across sand, granite and cement carry and spreaders. They actually only do concrete work and are quite efficient.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 10:42am On Mar 19, 2015
The casting took a total of 8 hours plus and the team put the mixing machine on the ground beam reinforcement and pour directly on it. Once they are done with a sector, they shifted the mixer backward.

3 people had the task of spreading it out and after it is vibrated, the man with the wooden trough leveled it evenly and took levels with a plumb at intervals for accuracy( I actually insisted on them using a plumb because they claimed it was not neccesary).

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 11:01am On Mar 19, 2015
We used a total of 178 bags of cement( budget was 180 bags), 3 trips of 15 ton granite and 2 trips of 20 ton sharp sand(Ogun sharp sand).

We actually had some leftover of sharp sand from the ground beam casting so we used this as supplement for the 2 trips bought. Its important not to buy excess material which might not be useful for subsequent phase of the project.

The total iron used for the reinforcement was 3 tons of 12mm Tiger TMT.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 12:49pm On Mar 25, 2015
Block work started on Monday 23rd of March, blocks were delivered late to site and not much was achieved that day but we were able to do the floor layout design.

We will be using 9inch block all through the structure except for the demarcation walls between units where we will be using dual 6inch blocks to create privacy and a sound barrier.

1 Share

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 1:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
Full blockwork started on Tuesday morning and by the end of the day, much had been achieved. We are working with a team of 4 highly experienced bricklayers and 2 labours.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
Work is moving on at a steady pace today and its all beginning to make sense to the project owners, before it seems to them they were burying money under the ground.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by tsiriman(m): 10:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
BITSWORKS:
Reinforcement laying commenced on Friday 13th of March and was concluded by Sunday 15th of March. 12mm iron reinforcement of Tiger TMT brand was used and 200mm spacing between bars.

Will water be able to pass the part not covered by the tampolin?
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 3:41pm On Apr 06, 2015
@tsiriman, no. We have treated the exposed part with damp proof course before casting the german floor.

Blockwork has been done to lintel level for the 3 units and 11 course where there are no windows or door.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 4:19pm On Apr 06, 2015
Marine board for the lintel and columns formwork was delivered to site on Tuesday 31st of March and formwork started on Wednesday.

A total of 36nos of 8ft X 4ft board was purchased and splitted to 12inches, 6inches and 8inches.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:07am On Apr 17, 2015
Columns and lintels have been casted, work has been a bit hectic hence the reason I haven't updated the thread in a while.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by YoungBrain: 11:35am On Apr 18, 2015
@BITSWORKS

Welldone so far,
the cost of setting out a foundation in the swampy areas of Lagos is scary.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 5:39am On Apr 26, 2015
@Youngbrain Yes it is, thanks for the remark.

Formwork and reinforcement work for the first floor suspended slab has commenced and we are looking at casting before the end ofthe month.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 8:21am On Apr 29, 2015
More reinforcement and wood formwork pictures. We are aiming to do the casting by Friday.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:47pm On May 02, 2015
We casted the first floor suspended slab on Friday May 1st 2015 as scheduled.

The casting crew comprised of a team of 32 people mostly made of headpan carrying aboki's.

We used a total of 251 bags of Dangote cement (42.5 grade), 3 trips of 20 tons sharp sand (ogun) and 4 trips of 15 tons granite (3/4 down).

Mix ratio used was 1:3:4.

Casting started a bit late by 10am but we were able to finish up quite late in the night.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by seuner: 10:08pm On May 02, 2015
thanks BIT, I am encouraged by the step-by-step procedures duly explained in this post. Please can i have your email, we need to talk...
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by FADEO: 11:03pm On May 02, 2015
This is so so lovely...Nice Step by step
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 9:01am On May 03, 2015
Thanks for the compliments all, much appreciated. Our aim to provide the most basic step by step processes for erecting a structure.

My email is seyisodiya@gmail.com, will be looking forward to your mail @seuner.

More casting pictures of the first floor suspended slab.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 4:48pm On May 08, 2015
Blockwork started today, a week after casting. We will leave the bamboo decking support in place for a minimum of 3 weeks (21 days) for the concrete slab to cure and gain strength.

Blockwork should hopefully take us between 4-5 days and we can start the formwork for colums and lintels.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by cleric(m): 3:32am On May 10, 2015
wink
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:09pm On May 17, 2015
Columns and lintels work on the first floor blockwork started on Wednesday and was concluded today.

One more coach of blockwork and we will start the formwork for the second floor suspended slab.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by lafolabi(m): 9:39am On May 21, 2015
Welldone, is the building construction going on now?
If yes. Then show the pictures of the stage you are now.
Good job so far.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 6:49am On May 27, 2015
Sorry for the slow pace of project update and pictures, we also have new projects in the pipeline that has been taking more of our free time.

We are done with the columns and lintels and are getting ready for the second floor suspended slab. We will be using marine board (8ft x 4ft) for the formwork floor and 1x12 plank for the side board and others.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by JAZES(m): 7:56am On May 27, 2015
Great work sir. I will shoot you a mail soon
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:01pm On May 28, 2015
I will be looking forward to your mail @Jazes.

Formwork for the 2nd floor suspended slab started yesterday and so far, work is going on at a good pace. All the beam side boards are in place and the 2x3 wood runners have been fixed for the first terrace unit with the bamboo bracing in place also.

Iron reinforcement work for the beams will start tomorrow.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by twinskenny(m): 10:33pm On May 28, 2015
BITSWORKS:
More reinforcement and wood formwork pictures. We are aiming to do the casting by Friday.

weldone boss
Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by BITSWORKS: 8:38pm On May 29, 2015
Wood formwork in full gear, the platform should be ready by tomorrow, Saturday and the iron reinforcement work can commence on it.

Staircase formwork will start on Monday and hopefully should be done by Wednesday.

We decided to use marine board for this suspended slab to hasten the process of formwork and also do a neater job while we can also still reuse the boards for our next project.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] by X2X(m): 10:33pm On May 30, 2015
Brilliant! Well done.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Notorious Ota Land-Grabber Elijah Adeogun aka Killer Arrested In Ogun State / Qatar Begins Construction Of 500,000 Housing Units For Less Privileged In Kaduna / 4 Bedroom Bungalow Enquiries on Design, Construction and Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.