Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,729 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? (6175 Views)

Janniseries Ottoman Turkish Xtian Forced Fighers / General Election Shows That ALLAH Is Greater Than Xtian Gods / Is It A Sin For A Xtian Woman To Marry A Muslim If She Can Practice Xtianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Cayon(f): 12:03am On Jan 03, 2009
~Lady~:

This is the problem when the scripture is misinterpreted. It causes division. If we are to be unequally yoked with a non-christian as you interpret it to be, then none of us should have friends that are non-christian.
Attah Girl!!! - very well said.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Skidoc(m): 12:10am On Jan 03, 2009
Cayon:

Quote from: ~Lady~ on December 31, 2008, 06:45 PM
This is the problem when the scripture is misinterpreted. It causes division. If we are to be unequally yoked with a non-christian as you interpret it to be, then none of us should have friends that are non-christian.
Attah Girl!!! - very well said.

Ladies, if you check the dictionary meaning of "YOKE", you cannot compare the bond that exists in a mere friendship to a YOKE. Being yoked with someone or something is definitely a much stronger type of bonding.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:22am On Jan 03, 2009
oh mi christo angry

poster,let her be,if she really is urs,then she will come to u,as a believer
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by olabowale(m): 2:13am On Jan 03, 2009
@~Lady~: « #31 on: Yesterday at 06:46:25 AM »

Olabowale e dey pain u for bodi?

e dey pain u for bodi sey people convert from Islam to Christianity?

Am sure the American converts to Islam, will calm my nerves.

Go and jump in a river if you wish.

Its too cold to do that above mason dixie line.

And um in Atlanta muslims are converting to Christianity in case you don't know. My aunt happens to be one of them, so you can close your eyes and wish all you want.

Um. In Atlanta, 30 years ago, there was a 101 Masajid. Today, you hardly find a Masjid in Atlanta. Maybe one on matin Luther king Boulevard. When we see an aunt converting, I guess it looks like Islam is waining. But thank Allah, that we have many whites, Blacks, Spanish and others converting!

And I have asked you to repect yourself, so start doing just that.

Your big mouth, is too small for what you are saying.
But I will allow you, since you live in Atlanta. The city where there is no Muslim.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Lady2(f): 6:28am On Jan 03, 2009
Olabowale

I have to apologise for being mean, I have sinned against you and against God. But for goodness sake, don't reply to me until you are ready to quit lying.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 10:26am On Jan 03, 2009
The passage said Never be unequally yoked with an unbeliever, not "Thou must not marry an unbeliever" . Many of you here misconstrue biblical passages.

Here is another one

1 Corinthians 7:12-16

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 10:30am On Jan 03, 2009
Here's another passage
1 Peter 3 :1-2
1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by arramyjay: 11:32am On Jan 03, 2009
Pray about it.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 4:30pm On Jan 03, 2009
H2O2:

The passage said Never be unequally yoked with an unbeliever, not "Thou must not marry an unbeliever" . Many of you here misconstrue biblical passages.

Here is another one

12To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

are u minding some pple,the way they misquote and turn the bible upside down,one would think it,the bible was written by them undecided
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 6:02pm On Jan 03, 2009
~Lady~:

Sorry about that, but I was replying to one post, and I wanted you to go into more detail, majority of the time when I ask questions, it's not for me but for those who are reading and are too lazy to pick up the Bible and read and pray and all that. I like it when people are detailed about things so as not to confuse others. But I see you took care of that. Good job.

Now after reading your explanations, I agree to a certain extent, and the extent being I know muslims that have become Christians through marriage, and I think they are worth it. Their families have also become Christians, well some of them. I don't think one soul should be written off just like that.

No probs. You're not the only one who found my response to be terse. Joe was concise in his question and so was I. I saw no need to dive into 'waters' he had not brought up.
No sensible christian will say that we are not to associate with the world. The simple point here is that a christian should not marry a non-christian. Its different if one converts during the marriage, the biblical directives are different for that situation.

Happy New Yr by the way smiley. and just one tip, the trick to dealing with Alhaji is to just take everything he says with a light-hearted approach.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 6:07pm On Jan 03, 2009
JeSoul:

The simple point here is that a christian should not marry a non-christian. Its different if one converts during the marriage, the biblical directives are different for that situation.

my dear read dis

H2O2:

Here is another one

Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 6:16pm On Jan 03, 2009
busy,

perhaps you should read it first smiley . . . that situation is for if one spouse converts to christianity DURING the marriage.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JJYOU: 6:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
it is dificult enough for catolics to marry an evangelical or jehovah's witnesses.  what do you think a christian has to gain from marrying an unbelieving moslem.   every marraige comes with its inbuilt problems making it worse by marrying someone who don't believe in Christ is working against yourself.

no one should deliberately walk into a union like that

notice it says if the believer has a wife ( already married) not to look for a wife/ husband

a very happy new year to you all
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 6:28pm On Jan 03, 2009
give me a scripture where it is written

Thou shall not marry an unbeliever

it is very clear in corinthians,if a man marries an unbeliever as long as they agree to live togeda,no problem,i.e the girl or guy is an unbeliever even before he or she got married
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JJYOU: 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2009
busybein:

give me a scripture where it is written

Thou shall not marry an unbeliever

it is very clear in corinthians,if a man marries an unbeliever as long as they agree to live togeda,no problem,i.e the girl or guy is an unbeliever even before he or she got married
you must know i don't do arguments with religious folks.  we are all permitted to live the way we like and pay whatever our actions brings us. i personally wont do an unbeliever. it is a no no for me. 

in my books if a lady is not smart enough to recognise the Lordship of Jesus she is too clever for me. i bebelieve am personally responsible for my choices and choose not to date an unbeliever.

i believe one of the many reasons we have people broken and hurt almost beyond redemption from past relationships is going into wrong relationships that is almost gauranteed to fail from the world go.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2009
Religion just another line to divide people.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by mazaje(m): 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

you have said it all. what a shame.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JJYOU: 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

mazaje:

you have said it all. what a shame.
give it up for united and peaceful atheists. una no get work
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by mazaje(m): 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2009
JJYOU:

give it up for united and peaceful atheists. una no get work

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

and u're still posting here? grin
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by KarmaMod(f): 8:52pm On Jan 03, 2009
Im confused

that situation is for if one spouse converts to christianity DURING the marriage.

How is this possible if you're not allowed to marry a non Christian in the first place?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2009
I've told you some people just translate scripture to fit their own ideas
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JJYOU: 9:17pm On Jan 03, 2009
KarmaMod:

I'm confused

How is this possible if you're not allowed to marry a non Christian in the first place?
BREATHE IN AND OUT. THINK DEEPLY IT WILL BECOME CLEARER.

SOME PEOPLE LOVE FOLLY AND HEAD ACHES
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by TV01(m): 10:04pm On Jan 03, 2009
KarmaMod:

I'm confused

Hi KarmaMod,

It speaks to a situation where neither party was a Christian prior to the marriage. If during the course of the marriage, one converts, divorce is not consequent,or at least not to be pursued by the converting party. You - for a while at least - have a situation where there is one Christian believer and one unbeliever in the marriage.

Hope that clarifies.

JJYOU:

BREATHE IN AND OUT. THINK DEEPLY IT WILL BECOME CLEARER.

SOME PEOPLE LOVE FOLLY AND HEAD ACHES

Hi JJYOU,

1. Rather than discourage seekers, please exercise some forbearance.
2. Caps lock indicates shouting/yelling - would you give us all e-headaches smiley?

God bless
TV
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 10:10pm On Jan 03, 2009
TV01:

Hi KarmaMod,

It speaks to a situation where neither party was a Christian prior to the marriage. If during the course of the marriage, one converts, divorce is not consequent,or at least not to be pursued by the converting party. You - for a while at least - have a situation where there is one Christian believer and one unbeliever in the marriage.

Hope that clarifies.
How did you arrive at this conclusion? It didn't say that anywhere in the passage.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by TV01(m): 10:38pm On Jan 03, 2009
H2O2:

How did you arrive at this conclusion? It didn't say that anywhere in the passage.

Hi H202,

I agree that it is not "explicitly written", but please refer to verses 12 & 13.

12 But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing
to live with him, let him not divorce her. 13 And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him.

If your intendeds religion was an issue why would you marry them in the first place? The church was still nascent at that time and many converts were new.

Listen to Paul in chapter 9 of the same epistle - 5 Do we have no right to take along a believing wife, as do also the other apostles, the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?

Conversion after marriage is not grounds for the new believer to depart, but the still unbeliever may well seek to leave on that basis. One who believes and is unwed is not to enter into a marriage union with an unbeliever.

Having said all that, please note that that is more of a doctrinal statement. I don't believe that the fullness of the Christian life is lived by written rules. Marriage was instituted before religion - and whilst God obviously does not want religious differences to precipitate divorce, it is clear that deeply held but differing beliefs can be all but impossible to reconcile after the fact, so it's best not too in the first instance.

God bless
TV
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 2:04am On Jan 04, 2009
KarmaMod:

I'm confused

like seriously undecided
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Lady2(f): 3:50am On Jan 04, 2009
The simple point here is that a christian should not marry a non-christian. Its different if one converts during the marriage, the biblical directives are different for that situation

How can one convert if we are not allowed to marry a non-christian in the first place? There would be no need for that passage then.

There isn't a passage that states that we cannot marry a non-christian, however because we know the hardships in marriage it is always easier for us to marry within our beliefs.

Personally I am not looking forward to marrying a non-catholic, I don't want any confusion in my home, but if the person God truly wants me to be with is non-catholic then so be it.

Marrying a christian does not guarantee the marriage would work and marrying a non-christian does not guarantee the marriage would not work.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 5:49pm On Jan 04, 2009
~Lady~:

How can one convert if we are not allowed to marry a non-christian in the first place? There would be no need for that passage then.

There isn't a passage that states that we cannot marry a non-christian, however because we know the hardships in marriage it is always easier for us to marry within our beliefs.

Marrying a christian does not guarantee the marriage would work and marrying a non-christian does not guarantee the marriage would not work.

abi ooooo,some pple r beginning to misconstrue d bible
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by mazaje(m): 5:52pm On Jan 04, 2009
busybein:

abi ooooo,some people r beginning to misconstrue d bible

busybein do you want to get married to a moslem? or are you presently enjoying a moslem man's bulala?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 5:54pm On Jan 04, 2009
mazaje:

busybein do you want to get married to a moslem? or are you presently enjoying a moslem man's bulala?

all of d above cool
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JJYOU: 10:50pm On Jan 04, 2009
mazaje:

busybein:

all of d above cool
did you see this coming?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Future Of The African Traditional Religion (ATR)? / Is Homosexuality Dangerous To Society? / Which One Is Better? Deeper Life, Redeem, Winners Chapel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.