Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,606 members, 7,809,218 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? (6164 Views)

Janniseries Ottoman Turkish Xtian Forced Fighers / General Election Shows That ALLAH Is Greater Than Xtian Gods / Is It A Sin For A Xtian Woman To Marry A Muslim If She Can Practice Xtianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 11:36pm On Jan 05, 2009
H2O2:

Okay Jesoul, since you want to get technical, are you insinuating that joining, bonding, uniting etc only occur in marriage situations undecided
 Of course not, it can be in business ventures, collaborations etc . . . But marriage is the tightest yoke 2 people can ever share. If you don't consider marriage a yoke then I don't know what else qualfies.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 11:39pm On Jan 05, 2009
lol . . . okay if you prefer:

Stay away from people who are not followers of the Lord! Can someone who is good get along with someone who is evil? Are light and darkness the same? Is Christ a friend of Satan? Can people who follow the Lord have anything in common with those who don't? Do idols belong in the temple of God? We are the temple of the living God, as God himself says, "I will live with these people

I think that bible version is even 'harsher'. The KJV is the oldest and 'purest' of the bible versions, and it uses "yoke".
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:42pm On Jan 05, 2009
JeSoul:

Busy,
   you did not answer the simple questions I asked you:

- In verse 39 it says explicity a woman must marry a christian: "A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord."

>>>>  Do tell me why marriage with a non-christian will be allowed in verse 12 but not in verse 39? <<<<.

i dont know,maybe we should ask paul dat gave both scriptures undecided
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 11:43pm On Jan 05, 2009
Sweetie, marriage was not under discussion in that specific context that spoke of "yoke" .  That is your own groundnut you dey throway inside, abeg; I was just hoping you can rationalize it.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:44pm On Jan 05, 2009
JeSoul:

lol . . . okay if you prefer:

Stay away from people who are not followers of the Lord! Can someone who is good get along with someone who is evil? Are light and darkness the same? Is Christ a friend of Satan? [color=#990000]Can people who follow the Lord have anything in common with those who don't? Do idols belong in the temple of God? We are the temple of the living God, as God himself says, "I will live with these people[/color]

I think that bible version is even 'harsher'. The KJV is the oldest and 'purest' of the bible versions, and it uses "yoke".
so wat r u still doing wt unbelievers jesoul?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 11:44pm On Jan 05, 2009
JeSoul:

Of course not, it can be in business ventures, collaborations etc . . . But marriage is the tightest yoke 2 people can ever share. If you don't consider marriage a yoke then I don't know what else qualfies.
Of course, because in your opinion marriage is the tightest yoke 2 people can have, it[yoke] should not be applied just as uniformly, and strictly, in our other dealings  undecided
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:45pm On Jan 05, 2009
H2O2:

Sweetie, marriage was not under discussion in that specific context that spoke of "yoke" .  That is your own groundnut you dey throway inside, abeg; I was just hoping you can rationalize it.

it wasnt,the members of d church in corinth,were getting associated wt idolaters,and dat was why paul gave that scripture,marriage is not found in dat context
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 11:50pm On Jan 05, 2009
busybein:

i don't know,maybe we should ask paul that gave both scriptures undecided

Exactly Busy. Paul would not contradict himself like that. The problem therefore is with our interpretation of the two verses.
Hang with me for a sec here:

If you say marriage with a non-christian is permitted using verses 12-16 then you get a contradiction with verse 39.
but if you say that the situation in 12-16 is where one converts during marriage then you get no problem reconciling that with vs 39. Hope this makes sense.

H2O2:

Of course, because in your opinion marriage is the tightest yoke 2 people can have, it[yoke] should not be applied just as uniformly, and strictly, in our other dealings undecided
Okay Peroxide smiley, what in your opinion would qualify as a "yoke" between 2 people?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:51pm On Jan 05, 2009
@david

ok,let say i accept it,but my prob is why r we trying to make it happen only in marriage?why not in our general life?

It is evident that members of the church were participating with pagans in some of their rituals,hence dat scripture,correct me if im wrong?

it wasnt talking about marriage alone,was it?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 11:52pm On Jan 05, 2009
busybein:

it wasnt,the members of d church in corinth,were getting associated wt idolaters,and that was why paul gave that scripture,marriage is not found in that context
Thanks.
Moreover, if we look more closely at 2 Corinthians 6 verses 14:17 it states

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."
17 [b]"Therefore come out from them
     and be separate, says the Lord.

Look very well at verse 17 where you are commanded to "come out from them and be separate".  Is this not in contradiction with 1 Corinthians where you are commanded not to divorce him (if you are willing to live with him)? And also in contradiction with Matthew 19:9 where fornication is the allowable grounds for divorce?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 11:53pm On Jan 05, 2009
busybein:

it wasnt,the members of d church in corinth,were getting associated wt idolaters,and that was why paul gave that scripture,marriage is not found in that context

Honey, "associating with" is VERY different from "yoking with". By your standard Jesus was in the wrong becos he frequently 'associated' with sinners.

busybein:

@david

ok,let say i accept it,but my prob is why r we trying to make it happen only in marriage?why not in our general life?

It is evident that members of the church were participating with pagans in some of their rituals,hence that scripture,correct me if I'm wrong?

You're right, it wasn't just marriage alone. But any situation where you 'join' or 'unite' yourself with an unbeliever.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:55pm On Jan 05, 2009
jesoul no it doesnt?tell me why u r picking on marriage alone,wat about our daily life?dat is my point,paul cannot contradict himself,but its d same paul dat said its better to remain single and then said get married

listen it takes 6th sense to understand d bible

all i wanna know is,where was it writted conversion DURING MARRIAGE?

na u come dey add ur own word put for bible grin cheesy
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 11:56pm On Jan 05, 2009
JeSoul:

Honey, "associating with" is VERY different from "yoking with". By your standard Jesus was in the wrong because he frequently 'associated' with sinners.
 You're right, it wasn't just marriage alone. But any situation where you 'join' or 'unite' yourself with an unbeliever.
My dear, "associating with" is still a notable form of "bond or unity", which is what you described earlier as "yoking".
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2009
H2O2:

Thanks.
Moreover, if we look more closely at 2 Corinthians 6 verses 14:17 it states

14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[a]? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."
17 [b]"Therefore come out from them
     and be separate, says the Lord.

Look very well at verse 17 where you are commanded to "come out from them and be separate".  Is this not in contradiction with 1 Corinthians where you are [b]commanded not to divorce him (if you are willing to live with him)?[/b] And also in contradiction with Matthew 19:9 where fornication is the allowable grounds for divorce?
 Bingo. and this is why David took the time to highlight that that specific portion in 1 Cor7 Paul painstakingly highlighted that that bit was "his personal opinion" not a direct command. Because often situations are not always black and white, every marriage circumstance is unique and Paul was giving his advice there.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jan 05, 2009
busybein:

@david

It is evident that members of the church were participating with pagans in some of their rituals,hence that scripture,correct me if I'm wrong?

Of course it wasnt applicable to strictly marriage alone but then you wonder why Paul was particular in verse 39 that if the woman remarry she must only marry a man already in the Lord. I mean if Paul really didnt care or didnt think it was important to God he wouldnt be so specific now would he?

I think we need to take important note of the terminology used - "yoke". What does it really connote? Mere friendship or associations?

One important thint to also take into consideration, God constantly refers to the relationship between Himself and the church (believers) as that between a man and his wife. The church is regularly refered to as his "bride" in the epistles making herself ready for the marriage supper of the Lamb.
This must mean that marriage is very important to a believer, its not something God would want to triffle with.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 05, 2009
why are we even arguing? grin

He that will be "unequally yoked" (whatever you think it means) let him be yoked still.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 11:59pm On Jan 05, 2009
JeSoul:

Honey, "associating with" is VERY different from "yoking with". By your standard Jesus was in the wrong because he frequently 'associated' with sinners,

jesoul,read dat bible well ehn,and tell me d reason why dat passage was written in d bible undecided to everything there is a root,go down to the root and tell me if it was talking about marriage, it was used cos of xtians dat were getting them self associated wt pagans

jesoul association can also mean connection,same way as yoke,so im yet to see d difference cheesy
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:01am On Jan 06, 2009
if pauls opinion was just an opinion or was not so important i don't think it should be in d bible
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 12:01am On Jan 06, 2009
Jesoul, it is paul's advise? Even though he clearly says "SAYS THE LORD"  undecided

I tire for you o.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by H2O2: 12:02am On Jan 06, 2009
busybein:

if pauls opinion was not so important i don't think it should be in d bible
Lol that too. And I don't think God would be very happy with Paul's use of his name in vain.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:02am On Jan 06, 2009
H2O2:

Jesoul, it is paul's advise? Even though he clearly says "SAYS THE LORD"  undecided

I tire for you o.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 12:03am On Jan 06, 2009
H2O2:

My dear, "associating with" is still a notable form of "bond or unity", which is what you described earlier as "yoking".

. . . hehe according only to Peroxide  smiley  

I spend time with my unsaved friends, I associate with them, we hang out occasionally, I might go to their birthday party or their graduation, they might come to my house for dinner. I love them and as long as I'm not falling away, I associate with them.
Look at what it says in just the previous chapter:
"I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world."

There is nuthin wrong with "associating" with unbelievers. But will I marry them? no. That will be to yoke myself. Dost thou not see this difference?  undecided
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 12:04am On Jan 06, 2009
busybein:

if pauls opinion was just an opinion or was not so important i don't think it should be in d bible

ah ah David has already gone over this now  undecided

Peroxide & Busy if you're not careful I'll YOKE the two of you together  grin  cool
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:06am On Jan 06, 2009
JeSoul:

Peroxide & Busy if you're not careful I'll YOKE the two of you together  grin  cool

hahahahhahah u no well,im already yoked ojare grin grin cheesy

i need more proof,david has not really convinced me alot cheesy
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 06, 2009
busybein:

hahahahhahah u no well,I'm already yoked ojare grin grin cheesy

you mean you are already "associated"? grin

I cant convince u any better . . .

the same verse says - can two work together except they be agreed?

God's perfect will for marriage is - and they shall be one flesh

Can you be one flesh with someone you are not spiritually in agreement with? I think not.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by JeSoul(f): 12:14am On Jan 06, 2009
busybein:

hahahahhahah u no well, I'm already yoked ojare grin grin cheesy

lol . . . then I'm sure you know better than us 'unyoked' that marriage na real lockdown grin. Anyways if you have loose time, read and do some research on the matter, lots of online resources. I'm sure you'll understand all drama we've been trying to say the past 3 pages  kiss  smiley
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:16am On Jan 06, 2009
@david

an unbeliever can still be in agreement wt his/her partner

it's not only on xtianity
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by WesleyanA(f): 12:28am On Jan 06, 2009
what makes people unique is their individuality. Your wife doesn't have to share exactly the same ideas as you otherwise, there will be no such thing as marriage, or even friendship, in the world. So, all the talk of spiritual, emotional, blah blah "agreement" is all trash. Agreement does count but Tolerance counts the most. I'm sure most of you bigots sometimes will disagree with members of your family but you have to deal with it and tolerate because you can't "divorce" them. lol

@ OP, my advice to you is to find out her stance on the matter. If she wants to marry you despite her father, then go for it!! but move far away from her dad. He won't live in the marriage with you so his opinion shouldn't affect your decision unless you plan to depend on him or one reason or another (financially etc). lol

to give you presonal examples,
My former neighbors are a family that practice both christianity and islam. The father is muslim and the wife is christian and they live together in peace with their kids. Their alfa comes to their flat (or apartment?) to teach the kids the koran on wednesdays and the kids come with us to church on sundays. Eventually the children will grow up and decide for themselves which religion they will eventually profess after seeing both sides of the coin.
In fact, my other neighbor is a muslim family and their daughter is christian and we go to the same church as well.
In fact,the house I lived in back in Nigeria is a mix of christian and muslim and we all got along, shared food on each others' holidays watched soccer together etc
so I don't see what the big deal is with all these religious animosity!!!! religion is a personal matter and people shouldn't let it interfere too much with their public interactions.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by ttalks(m): 12:43am On Jan 06, 2009
@busybein,
you say unbelievers and believers can be in agreement in certain issues.But in marriage,they are never in agreement;hence the differing faiths.And God has said that in marriage,the two shall be one flesh,and that is based on agreement which clearly is not possible in the scenario u are hailing.
Now,a question I'd like to ask u and hope for an honest answer:
The person u are married/yoked to,is he a believer or not?
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by olabowale(m): 12:44am On Jan 06, 2009
@JeSoul: « #117 on: Today at 12:03:34 AM »  

Quote from: H2O2 on Yesterday at 11:56:39 PM

. . . hehe according only to Peroxide    

I spend time with my unsaved friends,

My Poet laureate inside an Israeli F15 or 16 Jet, know that the these "unbelievers" you associate with, also considered you an "unbeliever." If they are Muslims, they call you a "Kafiri." Kafiri is a very direct and intensed in meaning. It means the person denies and hides the truth.

I associate with them, we hang out occasionally, I might go to their birthday party or their graduation, they might come to my house for dinner. I love them and as long as I'm not falling away, I associate with them.
Look at what it says in just the previous chapter:
"I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world."

I wonder if this does not described an average Christian or most of those who will chalk Christianity as their religion?

There is nuthin wrong with "associating" with unbelievers. But will I marry them? no. That will be to yoke myself. Dost thou not see this difference?  

Interesting. The Jews says the Christians are idol worshippers. The Jews do not say Muslims are Idolators. The Muslim says that the Jews and the Christians are disbelievers, along with the rest of them. Since the Jews could not even accuse the Muslims, does it matter what the Christians say about Muslims? Afterall the Christians books of religion were written by Jews. The lord of the Christians was a human Jew. LOL.
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by busybein: 12:47am On Jan 06, 2009
ttalks:

@busybein,
you say unbelievers and believers can be in agreement in certain issues.[b]But in marriage,they are neve[/b]r in agreement;hence the differing faiths.And God has said that in marriage,the two shall be one flesh,and that is based on agreement which clearly is not possible in the scenario u are hailing.
Now,a question I'd like to ask u and hope for an honest answer:
The person u are married/yoked to,is he a believer or not?

said who?pls tell me,who told u they cant be in agreement?

and what makes u think believers can be in agreement?

listen marrying a believer does not gurantee a successful marriage,and marrying an unbeliever does not guarantee failure in marriage,even so called pastors and bishops are not in togedaness wt their wives

what is this agreement we r talking about?it can simply mean :both hearts uniting,coming togeda and trying to make or achieve a peaceful and loving home and all there is to it
Re: Marriage Between Xtian & Muslim? by WesleyanA(f): 12:51am On Jan 06, 2009
busybein:

said who?please tell me,who told u they can't be in agreement?

and what makes u think believers can be in agreement?

listen marrying a believer does not gurantee a successful marriage,and marrying an unbeliever does not guarantee failure in marriage,even so called pastors and bishops are not in togedaness wt their wives

what is this agreement we r talking about?it can simply mean :both hearts uniting,coming togeda and trying to make or achieve a peaceful and loving home and all there is to it

thank you!

agreement ko agreement ni grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fasting And Prayer Questions Need Answers / Seeing Angels From Birth. I Need Answers Please / Death At The Mercy Of Life - The Reality Of The Resurrection Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.