Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,163 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? (2294 Views)

EXPOSED: Reason For Increasing No Of Single Ladies In Nigeria & The Solution / Or Is Polygamy Totally Bad? / Advantages Of Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by lammie01: 9:32pm On Dec 29, 2008
Polygamy and the Single, Desperate Woman by Ebele Chizea

It’s a Saturday night. We are dressed in our sexy little outfits, high heels, make-up, hair fresh from a salon touch up. We are financially independent women, all four of us, and tonight, though no one dares to say it out loud, may be the lucky night-the night we attract Prince Charming. We arrive at the location very close to 1am, even though the party started at 10pm. African time is still practiced religiously among Nigerians in New York. Arriving later than everyone gives us the advantage of being noticed. We become the new faces for the men who have gotten used to the same girls dancing in little clusters of circles, showing off but refusing to give up anything-at least in public. But as we stroll in into this bar with a dance floor, swinging lights and 2face’s African Queen blasting from the DJ booth, there’s the major possibility hanging over my head that there will be more of us than them.

In scoping the room after many hugs and kisses from expectant friends, I discover I am right. The proportion is even more out of balance than I thought. The room holds a ratio of about seven girls to one guy. It’s no wonder women are finding it harder and harder to attract a potential suitor! I surprise myself with that sudden mental outburst. After all, I am an independent woman and just like my girls, I do not need a man to have fun. So I do what almost every girl in the room is doing at this point, dancing solo or with her fellow sisters-shaking our booties, raising our hands in the air, some of us with drinks in hand-all in our mid 20’s and up, still partying like we were in college.

advertisement

After a couple of drinks, I realize I am actually having fun. Maybe, I do not need Prince Charming to have a good time. In that state of resignation, I notice a fellow just walk in. He is not tall or big or anything, yet in my view, his presence is strong. He sits quietly at the bar and watches the scene. There’s no sense of desperation in his cinnamon complexioned face. I can tell he is not really scoping out chicks. He is just chilling on a Saturday night with a stripped shirt and brown khaki pants. He looks so responsible, so out of place here among a group of drunken, partying people. With alcohol still swimming in my head, I walk up to him. I strike up a conversation, where is he from, what does he do, who did he come with? To my delight he becomes quickly engaged in the discussion, and in a few minutes, we are laughing and leaning on each other. Pretty soon we are dancing by the bar-though he needs a little bit of prodding before he complies. A quick look across the dance floor and I notice there are women who are watching me. Some of them probably thinking to themselves, “I wonder how she was able to catch one just like that!”

advertisement

I spend the next few hours talking and dancing with my new friend. I have so much fun with him, I do not notice my friends when they leave. Side note for women: Never leave your friends behind!

At 4 am, there are only about five people left, my friends are gone and I panic for I do not know how to get home. I voice my concerns, and he says not to worry, he will drop me and a couple of female relatives at our homes. In the car, I in front and the girls in the back, the females voice what had been on my mind earlier. They complain about the lack of men in that gathering and the fact that it is not a once in a while thing, but a common occurrence to walk into an event and find that their gender outnumbers the other sex. They are in their late twenties, and openly, they lament that they are tired of being single, they want a serious relationship-a husband. My friend and I giggle quietly in the front as we listen. And even in the midst of my smiling state, I cannot help but think that maybe the solution to this problem is a lot simpler than we realize. It is a solution that our ancestors practiced and that is still used in many parts of the world. It is a solution that solves the problem of adultery and ensures responsibility in many facets of society-Polygamy!

What if African men in all societies where women outnumber them are encouraged to marry more than one wife? Polygamy offers women eager to marry the opportunity to have a husband, children, a home and a sense of security that an otherwise single life cannot provide.

Polygamy has become less in vogue with each generation. Let’s keep it real, sharing a man is not romantic. Can you imagine how the movie Titanic would have turned out if Leo had multiple girlfriends/wives as the target of his affections? Polygamy may seem to favor men more than women however, in an ideal polygamous situation, the man must treat his wives equally and be able to provide for them and the many children he may produce through them.

I dare to bring up this idea to the girls, but I change my mind. I do not want to shatter their romantic notions of everlasting love between one man and one woman as the ideal and the only way for a marriage to truly be a marriage. So instead I join them in their rants. I take quick glances at the perceptive looking man holding the wheels, a subtle smile across his face; I wonder what he feels about us women right now. I also hope that he is not the polygamous type.

Source: Saharareporters.com
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by lammie01: 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2008
I Personally think polygamy practised with sincerity would help our society in reducing adultery in our society.

What does the house think.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by savanaha: 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2008
I personally think if a man wants multiple sexual partners out of greed he should not get angry if the woman has multiple sexual partners. The truth is that a man cannot handle one woman then why multiple the problem? If you are afraid of onegina then admit but don't use polygamy as an excuse for the disease.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by tope2000(f): 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2008
lammie01:

I Personally think polygamy practised with sincerity would help our society in reducing adultery in our society.

I think u r yarning dust sad
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by syren: 9:46pm On Dec 29, 2008
@ topic

If all parties agree then why not as long as she's not forced, it's her decision. But talk about desperation undecided. I'd rather stay single.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2008
Speechless undecided
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by lammie01: 9:53pm On Dec 29, 2008
tope2000:

I think u r yarning dust sad

Its a personal opinion no need for ur to be abusive. There are loads of women who practice polygamy willingly and its their choice if you dont like it state that. we should be matured enough to accommodate divergent views
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Cayon(f): 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2008
Polugamy, hmm angry angry angry

all I am going to say is "I am a jealous woman when it comes to my man"

Peace
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by tope2000(f): 10:21pm On Dec 29, 2008
lammie01:

Its a personal opinion no need for ur to be abusive. There are loads of women who practice polygamy willingly and its their choice if you don't like it state that. we should be matured enough to accommodate divergent views

That wasnt abusive, was it undecided cheesy
Anywayz i guess every1 is entitled to their own opinions but I dont think its Right undecided
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by SeaGoddes(f): 12:59am On Dec 30, 2008
wtf , i rather remain single even die single than share a man with other women no matter how a saint the man might be. i'm not that desparate afterall single life is a still a vocation.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by H2O2: 1:10am On Dec 30, 2008
yea
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 1:11am On Dec 30, 2008
And you call yourself a Christian. O ma se
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Cayon(f): 1:20am On Dec 30, 2008
*Toyinrayo:

And you call yourself a Christian. O ma se
Know this: not all Bible-thumpers are Christians. Blah undecided grin grin grin.  Example moi. ,  . . .and a perfect one too.  Out of the 10 Commandments i only broke 2.  Hmm, not bad at all eh? not bad at all

Peace
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 30, 2008
Cayon:

Know this: not all Bible-thumpers are Christians. Blah undecided grin grin grin. Example moi. , . . .and a perfect one too. Out of the 10 Commandments i only broke 2. Hmm, not bad at all eh? not bad at all

Peace

hmm, so you're telling me that H202 has a shrine of his own with his voodoo dolls?

Aiye le!
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 2:45am On Dec 30, 2008
lammie01:

There's no difference between adultery and polygamy to me.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 2:52am On Dec 30, 2008
It is a solution that our ancestors practiced and that is still used in many parts of the world. It is a solution that solves the problem of adultery and ensures responsibility in many facets of society-Polygamy!

Polygamy leads to more problems than one can even imagine. And our ancestors practiced it out of pure lust.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Sauron1: 2:54am On Dec 30, 2008
stillwater:

Polygamy leads to more problems than one can even imagine. And our ancestors practiced it out of pure lust.

Abraham practiced polygamy out of lust?? grin grin grin grin
Stillwater?? tsk tsk.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by H2O2: 2:59am On Dec 30, 2008
I buy the idea that a gentleman like me deserves to be loved by as many women as possible who choose to love me.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 3:01am On Dec 30, 2008
~Sauron~:

Abraham practiced polygamy out of lust?? grin grin grin grin
Stillwater?? tsk tsk.

If he didn't find Hagar attractive do you think he would have slept with her even on Sarah's consent? So lust is involved!!!
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Sauron1: 3:04am On Dec 30, 2008
stillwater:

If he didn't find Hagar attractive do you think he would have slept with her even on Sarah's consent? So lust is involved!!!

Nah. . . . . . .Abraham just listened to his wife cos Sarah's advice was golden.
Not too many women would be that selfless. . . . .
Hagar was a slave. . . . .In em days, i know it was a taboo to be with a slave.
Abraham went out of his way to shag a slave.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 3:04am On Dec 30, 2008
H2O2:

I buy the idea that a gentleman like me deserves to be loved by as many women as possible who choose to love me.

Likewise a lady like me.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by DaPhoenix(f): 3:08am On Dec 30, 2008
I see all the men agreeing to this not because they care but because it will legally give them the right to have sex with as many women as he can as soon he is "bored" with the previous one. I'd rather happily remain a spinster than to be a second wife.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 3:11am On Dec 30, 2008
~Sauron~:

Nah. . . . . . .Abraham just listened to his wife because Sarah's advice was golden.
Not too many women would be that selfless. . . . .
Hagar was a slave. . . . .In em days, i know it was a taboo to be with a slave.
Abraham went out of his way to shag a slave.

Again Abraham would not have done it if Hagar was a not stunner despite her being a slave. Men sleep with their maids these days because they find them attractive (lust), so Abraham didn't do anything unusual.
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Sauron1: 3:14am On Dec 30, 2008
DaPhoenix:

I see all the men agreeing to this not because they care but because it will legally give the right to have sex with as many women as he can as soon he is "bored" with the previous one. I'd rather happily remain a spinster than to be a second wife.

Why na?? I was considering making u ma 3rd wife.

stillwater:

Again Abraham would not have done it if Hagar was a not stunner despite her being a slave. Men sleep with their maids these days because they find them attractive (lust), so Abraham didn't do anything unusual.

People held their self esteem in em days. The moral decadence cannot be compared.
A whole father of FAITH(Abraham) wouldn't have thunk about the idea if Sarah didn't bring it to the table.
Abraham was the only man in em days who slept with his maid. Don't compare Abraham to the silly hilly billy we have these days. grin
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by SeaGoddes(f): 3:17am On Dec 30, 2008
DaPhoenix:

I see all the men agreeing to this not because they care but because it will legally give them the right to have sex with as many women as he can as soon he is "bored" with the previous one. I'd rather happily remain a spinster than to be a second wife.

no mind them, thats exactly what they want sex and more sex
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Sauron1: 3:20am On Dec 30, 2008
Sea~Goddes:

no mind them, thats exactly what they want sex and more sex

By your estimation, only men enjoy sex, right??
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 3:21am On Dec 30, 2008
~Sauron~:

People held their self esteem in em days. The moral decadence cannot be compared.
A whole father of FAITH(Abraham) wouldn't have thunk about the idea if Sarah didn't bring it to the table.
Abraham was the only man in em days who slept with his maid. Don't compare Abraham to the silly hilly billy we have these days. grin

But we are in the now. I don't think any polygamous man is thinking about "curbing the situation of unmarried ladies". Sorry I can't be deceived. It's all LUST, LUST AND LUST!!!
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Sauron1: 3:22am On Dec 30, 2008
stillwater:

But we are in the now. I don't think any polygamous man is thinking about "curbing the situation of unmarried ladies". Sorry I can't be deceived. It's all LUST, LUST AND LUST!!!

Seriously, i have taken it upon meself to help as many spinsters that are willing to get hitched.
The ratio is getting worse. 10:1 as at Christmas. grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by doyin13(m): 3:23am On Dec 30, 2008
I am actually more of a supporter of Polyandry.

I have hard luck getting one girl let alone getting a harem.

Now if women are allowed to recycle their toto without hassle
I envisage a revolution in my fortunes.

If not, the third mainland bridge beckons
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by DaPhoenix(f): 3:24am On Dec 30, 2008
~Sauron~:

By your estimation, only men enjoy sex, right??

Yeah. Many of you are done before we have the chance to enjoy it lol
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by doyin13(m): 3:26am On Dec 30, 2008
DaPhoenix:

Yeah. Many of you are done before we have the chance to enjoy it lol

why slow down the fast achievers na grin

I reckon we should encourage the slower sex to speed up grin grin
Re: Is Polygamy The Solution To Surplus Women ? by Nobody: 3:26am On Dec 30, 2008
~Sauron~:

Seriously, i have taken it upon meself to help as many spinsters that are willing to get hitched.
The ratio is getting worse. 10:1 as at Christmas. grin grin grin grin

Take your charity and choke on it. We don't need it. It's very very easy to get a man, don't let topics like this make you feel like a gee.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Anyone Bear This,,,,what Is Ur Idea About This Suitatuion. / The Consequences Of Women Leaving The Kitchen. / Love Or Stupidity?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.