Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,363 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Advantages Of Polygamy? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Advantages Of Polygamy? (45054 Views)

Counter Thread: Advantages Of Dating A Tall Girl. / Paradox Of Polygamy / 13 Advantages Of Virginity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 9:38pm On Jan 20, 2008
To the Nigerian men here, I've been thinking about one single thing that can be called profit from polygamy but found nothing. Can you men especially the moslem men that glorifies the practice tell me one good reason to maintain the culture of polygamy?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ikamefa(f): 9:45pm On Jan 20, 2008
hotfunmi:

To the Nigerian men here, I've been thinking about one single thing that can be called profit from polygamy but found nothing. Can you men especially the [b]moslem [/b]men that glorifies the practice tell me one good reason to maintain the culture of polygamy?

polygamy is practiced by both Muslims ,christians ,Non-christian etc polygamy is a common practice in every sect and tribe in Nigeria! be you muslim ,christian or herbalist.

3 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by robert55: 9:49pm On Jan 20, 2008
what has one man one wife done for those practising it?

open your eyes very well you will see nigeria was a better place when people married many wives. this one man one wife business is no good at all. women used to respect men and children used to know they are children but that is all gone now.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ikamefa(f): 9:52pm On Jan 20, 2008
the same way women should be able to marry as many husbands they want! shikena!
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 20, 2008
robert55:

open your eyes very well you will see nigeria was a better place when people married many wives. this one man one wife business is no good at all. women used to respect men and children used to know they are children but that is all gone now.

Then I guess men were always capable of catering for their needs. these kids were all educated and now have a well paid job and live happily in a polygamous home.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 9:56pm On Jan 20, 2008
by
robert

open your eyes very well you will see nigeria was a better place when people married many wives.  this one man one wife business is no good at all. women used to respect men and children used to know they are children but that is all gone now.

Why is it so difficult for you to say one single advantage of polygamy? Do you know that poverty will be reduced by about 20% if polygamy is banned in Nigeria? common,  tell me how life will be better for a man with three uneducated wives and 15 children on a N50K per month salary? If you want your wife to respect you, step up th plate and be a good husband. Stop using respect and ego as an exccuse to bring children into this world in poverty. Polygamy is evil and is one of the greatest plagues in Africa today.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by TheSly: 9:57pm On Jan 20, 2008
the islam have promulgated the system of polygamy and has allowed a man to marry more than one wife. This has been done for the purpose of solving many social and domestic problems, which a family is confronted with from time to time.though polygamy is not a compulsory thing nor is it advocated. It is just a permission with certain limitation and conditions. And in some of the circumstances this permission proves extremely useful.

but for them xtians in the house,marrying one wife only is the divine ideal,God constituted this as a union between one man and one woman and He preserves the number of males practically equal to the number of females cool
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ikamefa(f): 10:03pm On Jan 20, 2008
~Sly~(*_*):

but for them xtians in the house,marrying one wife only is the divine ideal,God constituted this as a union between one man and one woman and He preserves the number of males practically equal to the number of females cool

what about those xtians who marry more that one wife? what socio- domestico( erhmmmm pardon ma french) tongue problems are they solving?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 10:05pm On Jan 20, 2008
by
Ikamefa
polygamy is practiced by both Muslims ,christians  ,Non-christian etc polygamy is a  common practice  in every sect and tribe in Nigeria! be you muslim ,christian or herbalist
Agreed but if you look at modern day Nigeria very well, you'll realise that polygamy is very slim among christians. Why are the ibos and other south south tribes very behind in polygamy? why did they embrace monogamy so quick more than other tribes? check the yorubas, havent you noticed that  yoruba christians are behind in polygamy these days? Go to Ibadan and see the level of poverty and illiteracy brought by Islam and polygamy.   I think we start solving our problems by facing it and polygamy is one of them. Check the poverty rates and abuse  between  monogamous and polygamous homes on the average and tell me what you found.  Lets not talk about the North  because it's a no go area. What is a man doing with five wives when he can scarcely feed and love one?  Can someone please tell me ONE advantage of polygamy?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 20, 2008
The poster said: "name an advantage".

socio-economical is not enough because in Nigeria, it even worsens these aspects.

Be specific!
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by robert55: 10:08pm On Jan 20, 2008
polygamy is evil. hugwashhhhhhh. have you noticed the high divorce rate amongst the 1 man 1 wife people in nigeria?  who told you only polygamist earn N50k? what is the matter with you? what is wrong in a man sharing himself with 2/3 women if he can afford it?  there are loads of women doing it by the side without the benefit of being called wives.
what is wrong with a man that has enough money to care for his wives doing so? must you because you have bad experience of it say every nigerian should follow your way?  i wish i couldnt point to the bad marraiges in 1:1 marraiges. but you know that is not true. if marrying one wife would solve the problem of nigeria tomorrow every one would rush into it.  

you have still not told this room what the benefits of monogamy is. you are mistaken to think marrying one woman will solve ibadans problem. it is more than that
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 10:10pm On Jan 20, 2008
@Sly,
can't we look beyond religion and see what this stupid practice is doing to our women and children because the men seem not to care. There is so much poverty in Nigeria and I saw it first hand last december and most of the families i witnessed their own firsthand are polygamous homes. In most cases, even when their baba is very rich, they still wallow in poverty because he's either too busy spending on new wives or the money will not be enough if it's shared accordingly among his many kids. I am sure some of us here came from a polygamous home and may not have the best story to show for it.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by robert55: 10:14pm On Jan 20, 2008
yes i come from a polygamous home. very happy rich and blessed. we are one big happy family. always been and always will be

3 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by ikamefa(f): 10:14pm On Jan 20, 2008
hotfunmi:

Agreed but if you look at modern day Nigeria very well, you'll realise that polygamy is very slim among christians. Why are the ibos and other south south tribes very behind in polygamy? why did they embrace monogamy so quick more than other tribes? check the yorubas, havent you noticed that yoruba christians are behind in polygamy these days? Go to Ibadan and see the level of poverty and illiteracy brought by Islam and polygamy. I think we start solving our problems by facing it and polygamy is one of them. Check the poverty rates and abuse between monogamous and polygamous homes on the average and tell me what you found. Lets not talk about the North because it's a no go area. What is a man doing with five wives when he can scarcely feed and love one? Can someone please tell me ONE advantage of polygamy?

i wanted to point out to you that polygamy is not only practiced by muslims in Nigeria,polygamy is practiced by both xtians and muslims

i am not supporting it, my opinion is if a man can do it a woman should be allowed to have more more that one husband too (but sadly that does not happen in 9ja)

i don't see any gain or advantage from practising polygamy
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 10:16pm On Jan 20, 2008
@Robert
This is simple maths, if I earn 50K as a monogamist in a household of 4 and You earn 50K as a polygamist in a household of 12, who is richer? Besides, there is a higher chance for a monogamist's wife to be more educated because many educated women in Nigeria today will rather stay single than be your second best. Marriage is no more too important in defining a woman in the 21st century.  I am yet to hear one thing that is so attractive in polygamy except having a house full of liabilities.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by TheSly: 10:21pm On Jan 20, 2008
ikamefa:

i wanted to point out to you that polygamy is not only practiced by muslims in Nigeria,polygamy is practiced by both xtians and muslims

yes i will not dispute the fact that polygamy is being practiced by both xtians and muslims simply because Abraham had three wives,Jacob had 2 wives besides concubines and Moses did not forbid it because he married two wives as well, instead he brought Laws to regulate it, but from my own point of view,im yet to see any advantage of polygamy. . . .  undecided

1 man. . . . .1wife is the Best!!. . . . . . . . there will be enough time to spend with each other  cool
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 20, 2008
@ hot

I am sure the women might have some business themselves, that's why they are living so fine. *roll eyes*

@ Robert

Polygamy might work for a man, but it destroys 4 women. I guess the happiness of these women doesn't matter to you. What matters is that men can change pussy every night.

How disgusting!

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by blogtech(m): 10:28pm On Jan 20, 2008
i hate Polygamy! angry No Advantage Involve.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by tosinadeda: 10:29pm On Jan 20, 2008
i think the abiola family can tell u the advantages of polygamy especially after the death of the man grin
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 10:43pm On Jan 20, 2008
@michelin

I don't know why you waste your time with selfish losers like Robert who refuse to see beyond a womans under panties and make a change for his future generation. I mean, even the so called rich Abiola, was he there for his children? he may have supplied the finance but the emotional aspect of raising a child was not there. The very many problems Kola is having may be linked to that factor and the funny thing is that he is following his fathers footsteps in polygamy gradually. Look at Obasanjo and his household etc. The truth is that polygamy may be practiced by christians back in the days but their population is going down by the day . If you are conversant, many yoruba guys that is in the 30's and 40's that still look unto practicing polygamy are moslems, the christian ones do not because they've seen the evil associated with it and can never practice it. How many ibo guys do you hear talking about polygamy and how they'll amass wives for themselves?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by TheSly: 10:47pm On Jan 20, 2008
Fact!. . .

polygamy is not advisable. . useless and can jeopardise the future our children. . . cool

have it or love it! cool
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by robert55: 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2008
instead of calling people names can't you just go ahead how your small mind worked out that you could solve nigeria's ill by 1:1 marraiges.  for your info if you think as you said
there is a higher chance  for a monogamist's wife to be more educated because educated women in Nigeria today will rather stay single than be your second best

ask yourself why those having extra marital affairs do it.  ask yourself how many many very educated women in nigeria tonight are sleeping with other peoples husbands.

the educational institutions in nigeria have more glorified hookers than italy. what are these women going to do when they get older. marry one alhaji or rev as one wife and live happy thereafter!!!!!!!  mills and boom live on.

just for the record. i am happily married by Gods grace for 14years to a very beautiful gift from God. i have never had the urge to look for other women. i have a very happy and blessed marraige which is hard work. we both work hard to give the 4 kids we have the best of life.

nigeria sure has a great problem and i wish you can solve it with your abuse and insults. you have still not come with the reason you think monogamy will solve nigeria's problem.goodluck and goodnight
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2008
robert55:

instead of calling people names can't you just go ahead how your small mind worked out that you could solve nigeria's ill by 1:1 marraiges. for your info if you think as you said

ask yourself why those having extra marital affairs do it. ask yourself how many women in nigeria tonight are sleeping with other peoples husbands.

the educational institutions in nigeria have more glorified hookers than italy. what are these women going to do when they get older. marry one alhaji or rev as one wife and live happy thereafter!!!!!!! mills and boom live on.

you have still not come with the reason you think monogamy will solve nigeria's problem.

Education is the key. the level of ignorance in Nigeria is allarming. When a human being doesn't even know his/her rights, how can s/he shout injustice? Polygamy is an injustice to children and women. They don't deserve it.

Ploygamy won't improve fidelity in marriage. I can still have 199 husbands and still cheat. The number of people i am attracted to aren't just 4 so, you are not saying aything.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by robert55: 11:15pm On Jan 20, 2008
so those lovely ladies plying the trade in italy are all illiterates? is that so?

i like this
Ploygamy won't improve fidelity in marriage

nigeria has a fundamental problem with imorality and dishosnesty. i wish a policy of 1:1 marraiges can just heal that lovely country but i dont live in dream land.

i am all for 1:1 marraiges but i dont buy the idea that polygamy is the cause for all nigerias woe
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 20, 2008
@robert55

ask yourself why those having extra marital affairs do it.  ask yourself how many women in nigeria tonight are sleeping with other peoples husbands.

Are you trying to say polygamists don't have extra marital affairs? Please come out of your fantasy.  

the educational institutions in nigeria have more glorified hookers than italy. what are these women going to do when they get older. marry one alhaji or rev as one wife and live happy thereafter!!!!!!!  mills and boom live on.

There are also millions of respectable women that will marry sane monogamous men. We leave the "glorified hookers for the polygamists." They deserve each other. No hard feelings.

you have still not come with the reason you think monogamy will solve nigeria's problem.

Don't change the topic. Name an advantage.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 20, 2008
robert55:

so those lovely ladies plying the trade in italy are all illiterates? is that so?

Those ladies are there risking their lives every second. You can't imagine the pressue they are put under just to pay their debts with thei madams. i wish people knew before talking unnecessarily.

robert55:

i like this
nigeria has a fundamental problem with imorality and dishosnesty. i wish a policy of 1:1 marraiges can just heal that lovely country but i don't live in dream land.

i am all for 1:1 marraiges but i don't buy the idea that polygamy is the cause for all nigerias woe

I have said it and keep on saying it. The problem with Nigeria is education. There is no other way out.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 11:23pm On Jan 20, 2008
@robert, since you are so CONCERNED about Nigerian women strolling the brothels because of no men to marry them, why did you stick to one wife? why not help US out by marrying as many as you can like your father did?

Again, I said that most of our poverty problems in Nigeria are man made and we can surtail it by a percentage through adopting simple measures like banning polygmy. I am positive that it'll reduce pain, suffering and hopelessness  seen in homes by a large margin. It's either a blind man or a selfish one that comes out here to preach that polygamy is there to help women out when the evils of polygamy is glaring. You can't solve yourproblems by covering it up, so wake up.

Also, women can survive and achieve their dreams whether they are married or not. I rather stay single my whole life that be a second wife.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 20, 2008
I have said it and keep on saying it. The problem with Nigeria is education. There is no other way out.

I'm sorry but education is not enough. Individual/personal beliefs and a person's mindset often undermine the fruits of education.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 20, 2008
stillwater:

I'm sorry but education is not enough. Individual/personal beliefs and a person's mindset often undermine the fruits of education.

How do people set their personal beliefs?
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by hotfunmi(f): 11:33pm On Jan 20, 2008
@michelin, you see, you said education. How can a man with 5 wives and 36 children afford to educate them all on a N100 per month salary? Why won't they be tempted to take a trip to Italy when all their lives, they've been rejected, abused, recieved no help from randy wife collector dad, and exposed to greedy men that cares about nothing but their booty and boobs? How else can you empower your daughters if you deny them education? The truth is that many of these polygamists marry ten wives, ask them to go and carry loads for ibo traders in the market for a fee and bring back some change every night for his upkeep and gambling dues while he stays at home all day playing draft  because he is known as baba.  Our parents and grand parents generations may have made that mistake but I still can't believe that some men are still talking about that practice today.  

@
ROBERT

WOMEN ARE NEITHER  PROPERTIES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AND OWNED FOR A FEE NOR ARE THEY SLAVES THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AND MADE TO PRODUCE CHILDREN AND  MONEY UNLESS YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL love-vendor THIS ONE YOU ARE USING ITALY AS AN EXCUSE. LEARN TO RESPECT  NIGERIAN WOMEN PLEASE.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by TheSly: 11:42pm On Jan 20, 2008

i am all for 1:1 marraiges but i don't buy the idea that polygamy is the cause for all nigerias woe

dont get it twisted robert!. . . .nobody is saying that polygamy is the cause for all nigerias woes and malady but lack of proper education is the problem,u can imagine a man earning like 10k a month with about 7kids in school at the same time all because he was not properly enlightened on how child spacing and family planning works!. (he just dey do am dey produce pikin like chicken  cheesy)

education is the key!. . . . . .  cool

i will Never support polygamy!.
Re: Advantages Of Polygamy? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 20, 2008
@ hotfunmi

The educational system in Naija has more to do with the government, than with polygamy. If teaching were better, you'd see, no woman would be so desperate to be a second wife. When their only hope of survivor becomes that of depending on a man, what can they do?

Polygamy is a consequence of other problems in Nigeria. Only that while people think it's a solution, it's just an aggravation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Grabs His Fiancée's Backside In Pre-Wedding Pictures / Advert In Port-Harcourt: Do You Need A Wife Or A Husband? / Pre-wedding Photos Of A Physically Challenged Lady Set To Wed In Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.