Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,823 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (26957 Views)

Gana's Kidnap Gang Led By A Woman Busted In Benue. Photos / Bride Trying To Abort Pregnancy In Uganda Busted / Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by randomFYO: 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
You drive into a filling station. You tell the attendant, how much you want to buy. He begins to sell and then tops at a figure, say N1000 and returns the nozzle to the pump. You then tell him, “I said N5000.” He says “Sorry, I thought you said N1000.”

You shrug. He removes the pump again from the pump, and the display is wiped off. He now proceeds to sell to you the outstanding balance.

It doesn’t matter how loudly you shout the amount you want to buy the first time, they still do it. I had always wondered why they do that nonsense until last Tuesday at Mobil by Otedola Bridge on the Lagos Ibadan Exp Way.

I told the gentleman to fill the tank. He put the nozzle into my car’s fuel tank and stopped at N1000 and returned the nozzle to the pump. I was annoyed and it was obvious. I told him I wasn’t buying again. He panicked and told me to relax and that he hadn’t sold anything. He now proceeded to sell me exactly  the amount I wanted.

In essence, the N1000 that first appeared on the display was phony. He panicked because he thought if I decided to leave at that point when all he had sold to me was hot air, I would have noticed once I looked at my fuel gauge. And he thought it was better to confess and have me quietly leave.

Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.

34 Likes 10 Shares

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Quote1: 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2015
We need protection from filling stations attendants

7 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by wealthywiseman: 4:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
Quote1:
We need protection from filling stations attendants

Pls, if you have issues with barcanista, deal with him directly and stop posting this n0nsense meme everywhere.

12 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Quote1: 4:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
wealthywiseman:

Pls, if you have issues with barcanista, deal with him directly and stop posting this n0nsense meme everywhere.

You deserve not my attention.

Shalom

8 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by olisamedua: 5:35pm On Feb 23, 2015
Same thing happened to me at Mobil in Gbagada, I wanted to buy N5,000 worth of Petrol, the guy inserted the nozzle and I heard the fuel pump make some noise. Immediately I opened the car door and lo and behold the guage was at N1,000.
I was like, you mean you have pumped in N1,000 worth of fuel between the time I opened the fuel tank then opened the car door (ie. within 5 secs).
That was when I started screaming... I guy quietly told me it was a mistake and sold my correct quantity. That didn't stop me from reporting to the manager though. cool

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by blackfase(m): 11:17pm On Feb 23, 2015
Op, that trick is a recall button on their dispenser. Someone must've bought N1000 worth within the last ten customers, so what they do is they take a note of which number any such amount falls between 1 and 10 and they just recall it, hence it shows the exact amount on the console without selling a drop. Smart of you...

randomFYO:
Apparently, when they want to play this trick, they have a way of getting the pump to read to a predetermined figure without selling anything. When you protest that that is not the amount you want to buy, they now proceed to sell the balance to you properly. In essence, you have been shortchanged by the amount they pretend to have first sold to you.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by magnifecent(m): 10:04am On Mar 06, 2015
oooh!! so this is what the normally do? Ok! Now i got it! i will always wach them closely now.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by iwezor1(m): 2:04pm On Mar 06, 2015
Cheats you find them everywr.
ThankGod you noticed on time

2 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Adyrin(m): 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
We are aware
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by lilprinze: 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
All I have to say is GEJ till 2019

6 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
No be today d cheating start nw
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
That pic on the post is what got me laughing.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by klem93(m): 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
all this we know
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by yorke1: 2:05pm On Mar 06, 2015
so true!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
This is exactly why I have refused to buy a car.

I'll wait until I know a fuel station with honest attendants.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by steppin: 2:06pm On Mar 06, 2015
This is what we already know. Tell us something new abeg.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Olucheye(m): 2:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
Thank You!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by jeeqaa7(m): 2:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
Ok
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by lilflipnerd: 2:07pm On Mar 06, 2015
There should b a price regulating body that sees to all this illegal acts in business especially filling stations.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by ishiamu(m): 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
wealthywiseman:

why you obsessed with barcanista

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
solution is simple,

1.say nothing until you are standing in front of the attendant. lipsrsealed

2.tell him the amount you want to buy, watch him/her enter the amount. angry

3. watch the quantity values on the meter, if they dont move then you are being scammed, they should move according to price per liter. wink

4. watch the nozel there's a butterfly you can see via a transparent glass, it does not move you are being scammed. shocked

5. (aggressive mode) just tell the attendant you know all their tricks and if he tries rubbish you will arrest him cool

6. listen! fuel is a liquid, when its being pumped into your car you can actually here it pour so if its a quiet place just listen carefully.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by bigv(m): 2:08pm On Mar 06, 2015
That's just one out of their tricks. Always patronise licensed gas stations.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Please when this sort of thing happens. Do not hesitate to make a huge noise. Make sure your report gets to the right place. Do not cover it up

2 Likes

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by YOUNGSTUNA(m): 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Man most survive
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
I was cheated yesterday,so annoyed!!the guy beg me that his so sorry i just bone say life is full of shitss undecided
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by nairaman66(m): 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Phony methods everywhere!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by sokotoburundi(m): 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
i dont have a car yet, but i have to comment 4 commenting sake!
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by onadana: 2:09pm On Mar 06, 2015
Total filling station here in Kaduna..are very good at ripping customers off.Some motorist avoid them like a plague.Little wonder you see less cars there yet people are willing to queue in another filling station just across the road.

Other fillings stations too are also guilty. Motorist shine your eyes.

1 Like

Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by Amsonme(m): 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
This is nt new.
Re: BUSTED: How Fuel Stations Cheat Customers by petrov10: 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2015
The average nigerian is a thief

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bus Driver Beaten By Kaduna Civil Defence Officer (photos) / Nigerian Bags 3 Years In Jail For Beating His Nigerian Friend Over A $500 Debt / RITUAL RAPE: Man Defiles 11-yr- Old Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.